Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bingopodcast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hoping to pick up a RFM that's had an original nucore conversion. The software looks to be running version 1.0 but I see there version 2.11 available to download.

Is it a straight forward affair to just download and update via USB?

Also in terms of reliability and future repairs - can the components be replaced in the nucore or are you tied into the dongle. So if you had to have a new motherboard or hard disk or the like, would you have to get exactly the same. Also how reliable is the dongle - is it something likely to ever need replacing?

3 weeks later
#2 6 years ago

From what I've seen, Nucore runs on Ubuntu 8.04 - which means that some modern hardware may not be supported. So, you'll have to do a little research to replace components, but that said, replacing a hard disk should be a straightforward dd /dev/sda /dev/sdb or similar (with some qualifications).

You have to download the update, untar it onto a USB stick, then enter the Nucore menu and choose USB update.

I'm thinking that unless you put a bunch of current through the dongle, it should continue to work indefinitely. This could happen if a USB port or power supply went bad in a particularly bad way, but is pretty unlikely.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside