Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rockytop
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Unebootin, which you have to use to update JJP games is 32 bit and MAC only supports 64 bit now.

Rufus or whatever the other program JJP mentions on their website doesn't run on MACs.

Any ideas that don't involve some type of parallel OS program?

#2 4 years ago

Out of curiosity what mac do you have? Granted my iMac is 4 years old but it is running the latest ios, and it ran Unebootin fine.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Out of curiosity what mac do you have? Granted my iMac is 4 years old but it is running the latest ios, and it ran Unebootin fine.

It's an IMAC running the latest Catalina software. I've had Unebootin on there for a while, and used it with no issues until the latest update to Catalina.

#4 4 years ago

LTG any tips here? I can't get unebootin to install.

#5 4 years ago

I just download the update and dump the files on a usb jump. Never installed something else on a few different newer Macs.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from rgzpinx:

I just download the update and dump the files on a usb jump. Never installed something else on a few different newer Macs.

You can do delta updates without using Unebootin, but certain updates require it...the latest Pirates update for example.

#7 4 years ago

For MAC, try this below. I don't own a MAC, but Joe Katz gave this information out recently to people with the same issue. If it works for you - great!

Step 1
-- Download the full install .iso file

Step 2
-- Start Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities,
or type "disk utility" into the spotlight search bar (magnifying glass in upper right of screen)
-- If needed, click on "View - Show All Devices" to see all of the devices and their volumes on the left side.

Step 3
-- Insert USB stick, and once it appears in the sidebar of Disk Utility, highlight the device name, not the volume name.
-- Click "Erase" button and set the format to "MS-DOS(FAT)" using scheme "Master Boot Record" with name "JJPUSB"
-- Click "Erase" to start the formatting process.

Step 4
-- Double-click the previously downloaded .iso image file from Step 1
-- This should mount the iso file and open a Finder window showing its contents

Step 5
-- Open another Finder window and on the left side click on the name of the USB stick you formatted in Step 3,
which should show a blank window because there are no files on it yet.

Step 6
-- Select all of the files in the iso file Finder window from Step 4, and drag them into the empty Finder window
from Step 5. This will take some time (20-30 minutes) to complete.

Step 7
-- Once the copy is complete, click on the little "eject" triangles next to the iso image name and the USB stick name
on the left of a Finder window.
-- Once the names disappear from the Finder window, remove the USB stick from the computer.

Step 8
-- Use the USB stick to install the new version in your game, etc.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

For MAC, try this below. I don't own a MAC, but Joe Katz gave this information out recently to people with the same issue. If it works for you - great!
Step 1
Step 2
or type "disk utility" into the spotlight search bar (magnifying glass in upper right of screen)
-- If needed, click on "View - Show All Devices" to see all of the devices and their volumes on the left side.
Step 3
-- Insert USB stick, and once it appears in the sidebar of Disk Utility, highlight the device name, not the volume name.
-- Click "Erase" button and set the format to "MS-DOS(FAT)" using scheme "Master Boot Record" with name "JJPUSB"
Step 4
Step 5
-- Open another Finder window and on the left side click on the name of the USB stick you formatted in Step 3,
Step 6
-- Select all of the files in the iso file Finder window from Step 4, and drag them into the empty Finder window
Step 7
-- Once the copy is complete, click on the little "eject" triangles next to the iso image name and the USB stick name
-- Once the names disappear from the Finder window, remove the USB stick from the computer.
Step 8

Thanks! I'll try that

#9 4 years ago

It hasn't worked so far. I have an 8GB thumb drive and when I tried to move the 4 gig ISO file it said the file was too large for my format.

Edit....I missed the step where I open the ISO file and darg the files over. It's copying to the thumb drive now.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8

Thank you! That worked and I got Pirates updated.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

So that process formats a USB in a Windows compatible form and then copies the files onto that USB.
Just manually doing what Unebootin does?

Since moving up to Catalina, there have definitely been some compatibility issues come about.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

So that process formats a USB in a Windows compatible form and then copies the files onto that USB.
Just manually doing what Unebootin does?
Since moving up to Catalina, there have definitely been some compatibility issues come about.

I know nothing about Macs, just passing along a work-around that Joe at JJP suggested to try to those that had an issue. It appears to work from a few people that tried it that I know about. I've been told that it is much easier.

... but not easier than what is coming with the WiFi or wired Ethernet updates being developed and tested currently.

#13 4 years ago

Yeah, it's really easy once you know the steps.

It would be nice to have updates done automatically. In 2019, something that costs 8-9-10k should have wifi capability.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Yeah, it's really easy once you know the steps.
It would be nice to have updates done automatically. In 2019, something that costs 8-9-10k should have wifi capability.

You're still going to have to manually check to see if there is an update from a machine menu option via WiFi (or checking like you do now), but it will download and update automatically in the very near future. Testing is in progress. It's really nice.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

You're still going to have to manually check to see if there is an update from a machine menu option via WiFi (or checking like you do now), but it will download and update automatically in the very near future. Testing is in progress. It's really nice.

Awesome! I don't mind manually checking...downloading and updating automatically sounds great to me. Thanks for the info!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/updating-jjp-games-with-a-mac?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.