Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I convinced my friend to get a pinball machine. It was his second one he has every own and it's a Haunted House. Great game but for some odd reason the up kicker from the basement blows the driver every 6 months it seems. He bought a Pascal board and installed it but still has the same issue. It got me thinking, is there any way we could fuse the line going from the up kicker to the board so it blows the fuse befero blowing the driver on the board? Does anyone else have this issue? I know it's a 35 year old game but there's got to be some one put there with a solution.

#2 6 years ago

Check the coil's resistance to make sure it's still good.

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
http://pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html#gottlieb_solenoid_coil_chart

If it's too far off, it may be time to replace the coil.

#3 6 years ago

Is the solenoid not individually fused? Most are on gottliebs... Are you sure the coil is ever actually locking on? If it's not locking in the fuse won't help

I've got the same issue on my BH. Brand new coil, EOS mod, still blows transistors occasionally. I assume it's just too narrowly rated and the coil is slowly killing it. Think I might just mod in a relay driven by the board and be done with it.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I will check both. Friend recommended modding a pop bumper board for just that up kicker bug who knows

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

Thanks guys. I will check both. Friend recommended modding a pop bumper board for just that up kicker bug who knows

That would work as well as the relay, as long as the board's driver transistor can handle it. Not sure how it's specced compared to the under-playfield one

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That would work as well as the relay, as long as the board's driver transistor can handle it. Not sure how it's specced compared to the under-playfield one

I've seen the pop bumper mod used on BH, so I assume it would also work on HH.

Each mod does slightly different things.

With the the EOS flipper mod and pop bumper mod, there is only a brief momentary firing of the coil, so the coil is theoretically protected from overheating and burning out.

With a relay, there is no control of the duration, so the coil could overheat and burn out, but the transistor would be isolated.

With the EOS flipper mod, you can control the coil strength, but this still does not isolate/protect the transistor.

With the pop bumper mod, you can isolate the transistor, but have no control over the coil strength.

Anyway, most people seem to use the EOS flipper coil mod. If you're still having problems with just the EOS flipper mod, maybe the better approach is to use both a relay and the EOS flipper mod so the driver board can do what it needs to to trigger the relay, and you can use the EOS to control the strength, and the transistor would be isolated from the coil. I'm not sure if anyone has tried that or how successful that might be.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Anyway, most people seem to use the EOS flipper coil mod. If you're still having problems with just the EOS flipper mod, maybe the better approach is to use both a relay and the EOS flipper mod so the driver board can do what it needs to to trigger the relay, and you can use the EOS to control the strength, and the transistor would be isolated from the coil. I'm not sure if anyone has tried that or how successful that might be.

That's my thinking...

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the instructions would be for the EOS mod?

#9 6 years ago

Here's the guide for BH. It will likely be a bit different for HH (wiring, etc).

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Here's the guide for BH. It will likely be a bit different for HH (wiring, etc).

Would it even work on HH? Not sure if there's any place in the up kicker mech to stick one...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Would it even work on HH? Not sure if there's any place in the up kicker mech to stick one...

I've heard of people trying it (some successful, some not), but I haven't seen photos--granted, I haven't actively sought any out since I don't own the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/updating-haunted-house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.