Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I tried emailing John Wart about this but apparently he's pretty busy, go figure. I tanked my new-to-me WPT the other day trying to do a code update...code on the game was 2 years older than the latest release, ouch. Anwyays, it didn't work, and bricked my game EXCEPT for the update code menus, thanks bootflash lol...

Do I just need the SAM 3.1 bootflash from John's site to get this thing up and running with a modern thumb drive, or can I just buy a cheap 4 buck 128MB thumb drive and be done with it? Everything was fine before the failed update. Just need the last revision as far as rules and bugfixes go to study it...

Figure shipping on either one will take about the same amount of time.

#2 7 years ago

Get the 3.1. I just dealt w this

#3 7 years ago

Check around for the oldest USB drive you can find and try it. I have some ancient 64mb jobbie in my WPT coinbox..

#4 7 years ago

I'm guessing it's on USB 1.0? I had to also search out a VERY old USB drive for modding an original Xbox a while back, and the internet go-to was these surf-board USB drives believe it or not. I think they were branded "SurfDrive", something about them made it work with the very picky older hardware, must have gotten the company rich for the wrong reasons. Might want to give it a go.

Probably just easier to buy the pre-loaded thing though if it's around the same amount. (The drives are like $12-$13 plus shipping, I believe, I just looked.)

#5 7 years ago

I'll just order the rom. I can find 128MB drives online but no guarantee they will be compatible with the system. Thanks guys.

#6 7 years ago

Updating code on these old sterns can be frustrating

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Updating code on these old sterns can be frustrating

Apparently if you install the latest boot EPROM it solves the compatibility issue once and for all.. the original EPROM is using USB driver code from 2005.

#8 7 years ago

Yeah..figured I'd just get the ROM. That way it's futureproofed and if I get rid of the boards at some point, new owner won't have to deal with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/updating-code-on-old-sam-systemwpt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.