Why do this? I was unable to find the C-5161-4 unit for a 1962 World Series restore. This earlier versions with modifications and coil upgrade to a H23-870 is just as good. On review of four batting units and talking with other baseball game owners it became evident that unless they were routinely lubed bat units linkage can become worn over time and not function properly.
The original C-5161 and C-5161-1 driver arm has a bat with a shaft similar to a flipper shaft and an assembly arm. This three piece arrangement (bat and shaft are two separate pieces) was replaced on the ‘Official Baseball’ C-5161-2 game with a more modern version three piece arrangement.
The early C-5161-2 more modern arrangement has a cotter pin on the shaft that allowed the bat and shaft to be fitted from the top of the playfield with a smaller hole in the playfield. This was simplified a year or so later to the final two piece arrangement (not changed since) and although not really necessary the cotter pin was nice engineering in my view.
Restoration Good News
You can replace not only the C-5161, C-5161-1 batter units but also the C-5161-2, C-5161-3 and C-5161-4 assembly, shaft and bat with current Slugfest parts purchased from Marco Specialties.
The assembly shaft may require on the C-5161, C-5161-1 and C-5161-2 batter units that the assembly frame collar that goes through the playfield be drilled out to a 3/8" diameter hole to fit the slugfest shaft.
C-5161-1 Batter Assembly Diagram with Part #'s
What we started with shown above.
C-5161-2/4 Batter Assembly Diagram with Part #'s
a) Instructions to replace C-5161 and C-5161-1 Bat and Handle;
Slugfest Items to buy are shown below;
1. # A-6338 Slugfest (WILLIAMS) DRIVER ARM ASSEMBLY $29.95.
2. # 02-2966 Slugfest (WILLIAMS) SHOULDER STUD ROLLER $5.65.
3. # 02-2750 Slugfest (WILLIAMS) ROLLER DRIVE ARM $2.00 (Note; currently out of stock part. Salvage the original sleeve 23A-6312 from discarded assembly arm assembly A-4689 by drilling out rivet).
4. # 20A-8798 is a ¼”-28 hex nut. (Fine thread not available at box store).
5. # 03-8516 BASEBALL BAT (see pic below) $12.50.
6. # 10-32 elastic stop nut to hold the bat on (see pic below, has a fine thread and not available at a box store).
Bat (#03-8516) installed with lock nut (#10-32 Elastic stop nut)
b) Exchanging the ‘Batter Unit’ parts
1. Remove the bat shaft A-4691 cotter pin from the assembly collar.
2. Discard the bat & shaft, and assembly arm. (See picture below).
What parts we will discard; A-4689, A-4691 and bat 23A-6323 shown above.
3. Keep the old assembly arm and salvage the original sleeve 2A-2750 by drilling out the rivet. Then discard arm.
4. Drill out the assembly frame collar with a 3/8” drill bit.
5. Fit the new Driver Assembly arm.
6. Fit the new shoulder stud roller, salvaged sleeve and secure with a ¼”-28 hex nut.
7. Fit new bat and secure with a #10-32 elastic stop nut.
Upgraded Batter Unit
Batter Unit opens switch after bat action