(Topic ID: 46926)

Update on Metallica Premiums! Theres gonna be a second one!

By eXidy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by woz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MET_Scoop.jpg
MET_Insert.jpg
MET_Spinner.jpg
Metallica_Detail-15_webready.jpg
IJ_CLIFFYS_004.JPG
Metallica_Features.png
screen-capture.png
premium_translite.png
Metallica-And_Justice_For_All_front.jpg
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can't wait to see what the other premium will look like. I want a premium, but if it looks the way it does not, I'm going for a pro. I love the original artwork. But, I really want all the features of the premium/LE

100% in agreement. I won't buy the premium if it has that cabinet art. So they'd miss out on selling me their $2000 hammer

#52 11 years ago

my guess is they won't show it before they sell a few of the first version, it could take a while.

#53 11 years ago

They had me at disappearing ball into glowing coffin lock.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

my guess is they won't show it before they sell a few of the first version, it could take a while.

There are probably already people thinking "I'm not gonna buy that ugly one, that would lose value compared to the others". Do the right thing Stern - ditch the photo translite, throw in that other Dirty Donny that's in the teaser vid...done deal, everyone happy, sales thru the roof.

#55 11 years ago

To bad the disappearing ball trick has been taken from JPop's TOTAN. It's a great feature but it's not an original never been done before feature.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

To bad the disappearing ball trick has been taken from JPop's TOTAN. It's a great feature but it's not an original never been done before feature.

It seems a good bit different. I'm assuming this one is going to disappear (it gets covered by the hammer so it is hidden when it sinks and then when the hammer is raised it is missing). Making it appear that it was pounded through the playfield. The one on TOTAN just sinks. This one seems more evolved and theatrical than the TOTAN trick.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are probably already people thinking "I'm not gonna buy that ugly one, that would lose value compared to the others". Do the right thing Stern - ditch the photo translite, throw in that other Dirty Donny that's in the teaser vid...done deal, everyone happy, sales thru the roof.

^this

I've got several grand sitting in my pocket waiting for stern to make an announcement about premium number two. For Stern's sake, let's hope nothing else catches my eye before they make the inevitable press release...

#58 11 years ago

Glad they are listening to us. I was going to buy a pro as it looked better, but given what the adjustment, I will be trading up.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

^this
I've got several grand sitting in my pocket waiting for stern to make an announcement about premium number two. For Stern's sake, let's hope nothing else catches my eye before they make the inevitable press release...

Since the LE's have sold out, Stern should scrap the translite for the Premiums altogether and for all runs since most don't like it and are complaining, so why bother with it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Honestly they should just use the Pro cab and translite for the Premium. It looks infinitely better.

Agreed

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Yeah but TOTAN does not use it the same way that metallica does. Will be a multi functional magnet and also used with the hammer and the ball lock. While Totan is cool; it could have been used for a lot more gameplay wise

#62 11 years ago

Since we are talking features; Any worry about wear at the inline drops. Not sure if that magnet is designed to throw, but seems like the edges of PF around drops could take some hits? Anything similar on a current playfield?

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Any worry about wear at the inline drops. Not sure if that magnet is designed to throw, but seems like the edges of PF around drops could take some hits? Anything similar on a current playfield?

I was thinking the same thing. The front and back of the targets hole will have to take a beating...unless the top of the target is slightly higher or perfectly level with the playfield.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

I was thinking the same thing. The front and back of the targets hole will have to take a beating...unless the top of the target is slightly higher or perfectly level with the playfield.

I know Cliffy will come to the rescue if needed. Just curious how the ball will react in that area.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I know Cliffy will come to the rescue if needed. Just curious how the ball will react in that area.

Just add Mylar in front of the drops

#66 11 years ago

Great news! I wouldn't mind them changing both the cab and trans art as it was my least favorite art package of all the models. I hope they come up with something good for us that are waiting to play it. If it plays good and they improve the art I would be tempted to make it happen.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Just add Mylar in front of the drops

Yes, this.

Also, if it does wear a little in that area, so what? *99.9% of Pinside gasps*

(Worrying about keeping machines absolutely pristine and flawless while still actually playing them just sucks the fun out of the hobby. It will also drive you batshit insane.)

#68 11 years ago

Toasterdog said:
Any worry about wear at the inline drops. Not sure if that magnet is designed to throw, but seems like the edges of PF around drops could take some hits? Anything similar on a current playfield?

Dean Stein added a second single drop protector to his IJ totem drop.

IJ_CLIFFYS_004.JPGIJ_CLIFFYS_004.JPG

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Too bad flippers has been taken from Humpty Dumpty in 1947. It's a great feature but it's not an original never been done before feature.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They've actually got a great 3rd Dirty Donny translite - you can see it in the teaser vid! Had that been on the Premium press release pictures, I guarantee the MOP frenzy wouldn't be so insane...plenty of people would have said "oh, the Prem looks rad, I'll save a few bucks and get that"

Very good to hear. I don't feel so bad missing out now on the LE.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Pinball is just a game of the human against gravity. Just about everything that can be done to manipulate gravity has been done in some fashion or another. I'm sure there are still some tricks to do here and there but mostly we are all just wanting the perfect package of features, with perfect music, and the perfect theme.

Since perfection is subjective new pinball machines will keep pouring out for years and years to come till we find it.

#72 11 years ago

ATTN: STERN

All you need to do is include another Dirty Donny translight in a tube for the FIRST RUN premium to get some quick sales NOW.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

All you need to do is include another Dirty Donny translight in a tube for the FIRST RUN premium to get some quick sales NOW.

Yup, I know so many cash-ready buyers who are crushed about not getting an LE - but they're not going to buy the Photo-translite Premium. Swap out that art before it goes into production, hello $$$$$$!!!!

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yup, I know so many cash-ready buyers who are crushed about not getting an LE

They can get one from Automated...at a premium (no pun intended) price!

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I disagree, the cab art is a little boring as well change them both and it will likely increase sales a good deal for the Premium IMO. Any Dirty Donny Translight with current Premium cab looks a bit strange together from the side view.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I disagree, the cab art is a little boring as well change them both and it will likely increase sales a good deal IMO.

Yep. Swap the Pro cab art and translite with the Premium and they'll be printing money.

The Premium art and translite make more sense on the Pro anyway since that is the one that is more likely to end up on route. Having the actual band on the translite seems like it would resonate more with people out in the wild.

#77 11 years ago

Fatsquatch Said ---Worrying about keeping machines absolutely pristine and flawless while still actually playing them just sucks the fun out of the hobby. It will also drive you batshit insane.)

^^^^^
this is why I sold My Ironman and My CV , Such expensive games Being brutalized by my flailing uncontrolled Playstyle would start to flaw my precious and I was having to take the glass off way to many times to count . I prefer Cheaper players due to this Madness .

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I disagree, the cab art is a little boring as well change them both and it will likely increase sales a good deal for the Premium IMO. Any Dirty Donny Translight with current Premium cab looks a bit strange together from the side view.

To each his own, but I highly doubt Stern would change the side art for the FIRST RUN Premium. They've already released the photos into the wild and made sales on them. Just tossing in an EXTRA tube with a 2nd translight is easy for them and would resolve some issues with those who dislike the existing translight.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

To each his own, but I highly doubt Stern would change the side art for the FIRST RUN Premium. They've already released the photos into the wild and made sales on them. Just tossing in an EXTRA tube with a 2nd translight is easy for them and would resolve some issues with those who dislike the existing translight.

I see what your saying it still would look a little off to me. I'm not a fan of the cab art so just throwing it out there that if they did something similar or even used that same art used for the Pro the Premium would likely be better received and sell more. But as you said to each their own just my take on it.

#80 11 years ago

I'm STILL not totally clear on this translite thing. Can't you just purchase any selection of translites and put in what you like?

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Agreed

#82 11 years ago

No spinner on the Pro = thumbs down.

#83 11 years ago

If they don't sell enough first run premiums, there might not be a second run. Sure you can add a different "available" translight, but a person might delay or walk away from the purchase and that just ends up hurting the first run sales.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

If they don't sell enough first run premiums, there might not be a second run. Sure you can add a different "available" translight, but a person might delay or walk away from the purchase and that just ends up hurting the first run sales.

Based on the sellout of the LEs, if the Premiums aren't selling well - they're smart enough to know why. THE ART. Easy change/easy money since they likely haven't even had the translites & cabinet decals printed yet (hopefully).

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Based on the sellout of the LEs, if the Premiums aren't selling well - they're smart enough to know why. THE ART. Easy change/easy money since they likely haven't even had the translites & cabinet decals printed yet (hopefully).

Hoping for the best. What a great pin. It's got just about everything: playfield layout, top notch features and materials, great playfield art, TWO super characters, Sparky and Snake!

I like the snake! It's green and snakey!
That tongue hanging out on Sparky is hilarious.

#86 11 years ago

Still no word from Stern about changes or additions to the Metallica lineup? Maybe one day this thread's title will be verifiable...

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Hoping for the best. What a great pin. It's got just about everything: playfield layout, top notch features and materials, great playfield art, TWO super characters, Sparky and Snake!
I like the snake! It's green and snakey!
That tongue hanging out on Sparky is hilarious.

I'm already looking forward to doing some stuff to Sparky. I want to try to match the Dirty Donny detail in his original sketch. The "U" shape of the pupils, the bloodshot eyes, 'Tallica Sucks on the shirt. Definitely other details like yellowing up his teeth, maybe giving him a slightly darker nose, some purple under the eyes, some char marks on the head, an EL wire coil coming off the top of his dome....and I think it would be cool to add some "drool slobber" to his mouth or tongue with some clear drying silicone or glue or something. Some people have already talked about painting him green to be like many of Donny's characters....not sure I wanna go that route but thinking about it.

#88 11 years ago

There real problem with the Premium is the price increase. They are cooking the goose that laid the golden egg with 400 price increase. 6600-6800 shippped is the tipping point. They would sell like crazy at the upper end of 5K. Sweet spot is as with ACDC Prem at around 6K.

Yes there hasnt been an increase in 4 years but I think you went too high Stern. My 2 cents.

When we get HD pic of the Premium I bet it will look cool. Its a similar style to ACDC translite.

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

There real problem with the Premium is the price increase. They are cooking the goose that laid the golden egg with 400 price increase. 6600-6800 shippped is the tipping point. They would sell like crazy at the upper end of 5K. Sweet spot is as with ACDC Prem at around 6K.
Yes there hasnt been an increase in 4 years but I think you went too high Stern. My 2 cents.
When we get HD pic of the Premium I bet it will look cool. Its a similar style to ACDC translite.

It's all relative...price increase sucks but since the scalping on LEs has already commenced, the Premium price looks like a bargain in comparison.

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

No spinner on the Pro = thumbs down.

i totally agree, spinner cost nothing, what? $10.00, it's a bad move... and still the price go up.

on the next pro they are going to remove the slingshot.

why did i said that? i just gave them an idea to save another $10.00...

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i totally agree, spinner cost nothing, what? $10.00, it's a bad move... and still the price go up.
on the next pro they are going to remove the slingshot.
why did i said that? i just gave them an idea to save another $10.00...

Don't buy them.

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm already looking forward to doing some stuff to Sparky....

Imagine a flasher show going off and he's all in the spotlight with the electricity sound...

bzzzzz crackle...bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i totally agree, spinner cost nothing, what? $10.00

Ah, but if they sell 2000 pros that is $10 x 2000 = $20,000. That's significant money. And the removed spinners are not going to stop them from being sold. Win-win for Stern.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ah, but if they sell 2000 pros that is $10 x 2000 = $20,000. That's significant money. And the removed spinners are not going to stop them from being sold. Win-win for Stern.

and how much was the last raise? X 2000, a lot more than $20,000.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Imagine a flasher show going off and he's all in the spotlight with the electricity sound...
bzzzzz crackle...bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah! There are two flasher spotlights on him...and the backboard panel has flashers behind it...I'm guessing there might be a few more by his chair coming out of the playfield. Gonna be a sick light show.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and how much was the last raise? X 2000, a lot more than $20,000.

True, but I said it was a win-win for Stern not us. Bottom line on all this price and feature stripping whining: prices will continue to rise and features will continue to be removed until people really complain about it with their wallets.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

the backboard panel has flashers behind it

I didn't know that. Even better!

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

True, but I said it was a win-win for Stern not us. Bottom line on all this price and feature stripping whining: prices will continue to rise and features will continue to be removed until people really complain about it with their wallets.

agreed, and yes unfortunately!
thats why we have to point out these things. don't buy them is not the solution...

#99 11 years ago

The more I analyze this game, pre-video release it seems to have a large "automobile" component to the theme attached. (among other sub themes, like snakes, electric chair, grave markers and coffin)

For example:
The obvious FUEL gauge in the middle
Fuel Targets
Pistons in the art (Engine parts)
Tire Track in front of the Snake
Images of a band member riding in a car (DMD work drawings showed this)
The song "Fuel" itself

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I didn't know that. Even better!

Here this is from Sterns page...the back panel is lighting up (like X-Men). I'm replacing those w/ LED flashers right away. ...there's prob one to each side of him under the lightning plastics to either side of him.

Metallica_Detail-15_webready.jpgMetallica_Detail-15_webready.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 149.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-on-metallica-premiums-theres-gonna-be-a-second-one/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.