DSC_4984.JPG
DSC_4700.JPG
DSC_4691.JPG
DSC_4699.JPG
DSC_4693.JPG
DSC_4695.JPG
DSC_4584.JPG
DSC_4580.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thompso9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

Hi guys,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, Rick, and others who are waiting patiently. I've had a hectic year, our daughter Penny was born in July, meanwhile my business partner in my primary business was in and out of the hospital for the rest of the year with some serious health issues. Fortunately he's back to work and Penny is sleeping through the night so we're good to go on another run of panels!

This new run will have one important change incorporated, that being compatibility with ColorDMD panels. No connectors will be present on the middle part of the back of the panel so that the ColorDMD panel can sit flush against the wood.

The new waiting list is about as long as the first one, I think I'll be running close to 100 panels this time just to make sure I have enough for the latecomers. To that end if anyone out there reading this post wants a CFTBL backlight panel and hasn't yet put in a request to be on the list, you can still get in now before I start ordering PCBs, these are the longest-lead item and they have to be made in reasonable quantity to get good pricing.

I hope to be updating you guys and everyone else on the list soon with pricing and estimated availability for this next run.

BTW 7craig7 I've put you on the list!

Thanks,
Jeff

1 month later
#36 10 years ago

So for all those who are waiting, here is an update on the next run of CFTBL panels:

Bare boards are in! They look great and I've already hand-populated one board set to try out. The pics below show the result. I have the PCB fabricator tooling up to build the rest, and parts are arriving daily. Notice that the entire design is now connectorized, no wiring harness save for power entry. This means that everything will be concealed inside the panel, so there's nothing to interfere with ColorDMDs. Also check out how thin the boards are, only 0.020" thick! This will move the LEDs back a bit from the plastic and spread the light more. Plus the board is now white which will also help to increase light spread.

I do need to get my hands on a FF/Pinball Pro speaker set to determine if there is any interference there since people did have some issues with the previous revision. From the looks of it these kits come with an MDF mounting block for each speaker?? Is that true of both FF and Pinball Pro types of speaker kits?

DSC_4577.JPGDSC_4577.JPG
DSC_4580.JPGDSC_4580.JPG
DSC_4581.JPGDSC_4581.JPG
DSC_4584.JPGDSC_4584.JPG

1 month later
#39 10 years ago

Hi again everyone, another update...

PCBs were run today, though I haven't gotten them yet. The speaker grilles are due in next week, and I am cutting plywood. As with all good things in pinball, this one has taken time, but at least we're in the home stretch.

For those who have asked to be on the list, I am going through my PM's to try and respond to each one. I have been swamped lately and haven't been able to check for a while so there are probably a lot of you waiting for responses. Sorry about that.

The next set of pictures I post will (hopefully) be of the completed first article of this run.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Jeff

3 weeks later
#52 10 years ago

Just a quick update, everyone, not much time these days to pontificate:

CNC cutting last 4 panels (right this moment as a matter of fact!)
DSC_4691.JPGDSC_4691.JPG

Stack of panels ready to be painted
DSC_4693.JPGDSC_4693.JPG

The new batch of speaker grilles...
DSC_4700.JPGDSC_4700.JPGDSC_4699.JPGDSC_4699.JPG

Some panels getting t-nuts
DSC_4695.JPGDSC_4695.JPG

You've all been very patiently waiting, and I thank you for that. They are really almost done now!

Thanks,
Jeff

2 weeks later
#60 9 years ago

Hi all,

The wait is over! CFTBL panels are slated to start shipping this month! I'll be notifying the first shipping group by email (or Pinside mail, whichever I happen to have on file) in the next 2 weeks. The emails will include payment instructions and a serial # to help me match up people with panels.

Here are some pics of a finished panel. You'll see in the pictures below that there is a new component added to the design, a light block to prevent bleed from letter to letter over the Starlight sign. This, in my opinion, was needed because of the change over to the white circuit boards, and because the boards are now further back from the panel plastic. While this spreads the light out more and fights "hotspots" in the lighting, it does also give the light more opportunity to bleed over to neighboring areas where it doesn't belong. With the addition of the light block the sign looks much more crisp during animation.

What's really cool is the view from the inside of the panel - no wires save for the power connector! Everything is wide open for ColorDMD to lay down flat with no interference.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. This has been the biggest batch of panels yet and I've brought some other people into the process so we can get LED panels for some other titles out there as well. TZ is a likely next game but others have been discussed. Suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

Panel with (original) speaker panel plastic overlaid
DSC_4976.JPGDSC_4976.JPG

Panel with speaker panel removed
DSC_4977.JPGDSC_4977.JPG

Light blocking insert in action
DSC_4978.JPGDSC_4978.JPG
DSC_4984.JPGDSC_4984.JPG

Back of panel - no more connectors
DSC_4986.JPGDSC_4986.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
€ 24.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thompso9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-on-cftbl-light-mod?tu=thompso9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.