• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 3waycombo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Update from my previous post:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-cleaning-battery-corrosion-from-tz-wpc-odd-behavior-at-startup

Ok that was really challenging but I got it working!!! The battery corrosion was worse than I realized when I cleaned the MPU board the first time. The green goobers were all over the legs of the ICs and who knows where else, so I bought a new board with remote battery holder from Mad Amusements for $175 which I thought was an excellent deal. Heck they even threw in some gummy candies.

I put new terminals and connectors on the J212 and J206/7, pulled our ROM and CPU chips from the old board and installed them on the new one. When I turned it on the test report had "Ground Short to Rows 1,2,3,4,6,7,8". I quickly realized that I plugged the J204 ribbon cable backwards!!!!!(Yes I agree. I'm a dumbass.) Got really lucky I think because when I tried it again, it seemed to be working fine except when I battled the Power for the first time the left magnet didn't work. Then realized that the Spiral magnets were dead too. After scouring the machine for some mystical problem for hours, it occurred to me to check the fuses. Duh. Yep the fuse blew. Also found that somebody put in some random fuses where they didn't belong. One was a 20 amp in place of a 3 amp! I replaced them and she's working like a champ. Checking the fuses is now officially at the top of my troubleshooting checklist.

On a side note, there were other problems on the MPU board that we didn't realize. So far I've noticed that playfield lights flash more frequently, whereas before they were mostly on or off. The DMD doesn't have those bleeding pixels like before, and the thing that is really cool to me is that loud burping noise it made when shutting it off... Gone.... Sweet.

#2 11 years ago

It always feels good to have a bad problem fixed!

#3 11 years ago

Amen! I have to admit I did make another post because we're not entirely out of the woods, but barely a blip on my radar at this point compared to what was going on before. It felt great to actually play the darn thing. Hearing Rudy tell me to "Quit playing with the clock!" made my day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/update-fixed-tz-switch-matrix-errors-caused-by-battery-corrosion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.