(Topic ID: 110936)

Pinduino: Ultimate lights and mods control!

By Prof_Pinball

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 335 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 79 days ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20171106_202617 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171106_202611 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171106_202557 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171106_202510 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171106_202454 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171106_202431 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171106_202550 (resized).jpg
solenoid-to-flasher_(resized).png
photo.jpg
photo_2.jpg
photo_3.jpg
photo_4.jpg
Offset_Connector.jpg
photo 2.JPG
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

There are 335 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 2 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Lyonsden's (Eric) work is top notch. I have one in my TOM and it is amazing! The instructions are easy to follow and the payoff is amazing - one of the first things people notice. To boot, he makes everything open source...as a software developer I have a lot respect for this. Buy with confidence and enjoy!!

Thanks jyeakley! It is great to know that you are enjoying the ToM kit and it is one of the big attractors when people come by to play. I think it really came out well.

#302 2 years ago

I just installed my IM lights on the ramps, and it looks amazing. It takes the game to the next level of insanity. Thx for a great mod.

6 months later
#303 2 years ago

Just got around to installing mine on my CFTBL. The bowl lights work great and great chaser effects. Unfortunately, the creature ramp isn't working at all.

#304 2 years ago
Quoted from KeithinMI:

Just got around to installing mine on my CFTBL. The bowl lights work great and great chaser effects. Unfortunately, the creature ramp isn't working at all.

Hi Keith. My apologies on this. You PMed me some diagnostics and I'll work with you to either fix the problem or make this right through a refund.

#305 1 year ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Hi Keith. My apologies on this. You PMed me some diagnostics and I'll work with you to either fix the problem or make this right through a refund.

Great customer service . We'll get it fixed, I'm not worried.

2 months later
#306 1 year ago

Are these kits still available??

#308 1 year ago

Also, PM me if you are looking for something that is not in my pinside shop. I have written a lot of code and designed a lot of kits, only some of which people have asked for and are in my shop.

3 months later
#309 1 year ago

Loving the Pinduino in my Lord of the Rings!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinduino-interactive-stadium-lights

IMG_20171106_202550 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171106_202431 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171106_202454 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171106_202510 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171106_202557 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171106_202611 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171106_202617 (resized).jpg

#310 1 year ago

Excellent work! Great to see what you came up with using the pinduino! Is there a link where people can download the code you write to make this happen?

Quoted from Tres:

Loving the Pinduino in my Lord of the Rings!

#311 1 year ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Excellent work! Great to see what you came up with using the pinduino! Is there a link where people can download the code you write to make this happen?

Here's a link to the current Pinduino code in the game. This uses LED-1 for the side cabinet LEDs and LED-2 for the back panel and trough LEDs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Q9ac0K3N3MPqrVliRvDWzTr-X9rSXsred2PhAXEBXw/edit?usp=drivesdk

1 month later
#313 1 year ago

Here's another video of my LOTR with Pinduino

#314 1 year ago

That looks awful...

#315 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

That looks awful...

Good thing it's not your game!

I am still getting used to to the lighting in LOTR. It is quite dark and this does a good job lighting at appropriate times

#316 1 year ago

Nice work! I think the colors work really well to enhance to mood of the game. One thing that I have done when using full playfield color washes like that is to add spot lights that are always on (white). For my eyes, having those spots help helps me not lose track of the ball when the color changes across the playfield.

#317 1 year ago

Finally had some time to make the harnesses for my Pinduino last night and installed it in my The Getaway: High Speed II. I put a strip inside the Supercharger ramp- my idea is to have a chase effect when the ball is whipping around.

With only a couple of modifications to the WPC template for initial testing it's working great! I really enjoyed building it. I'm now starting to play with various effects to see what works best for the supercharger chase. I also added a couple of small "explosions" for other flashers.

lyonsden - One thing I noticed is that when I plug my computer into the Nano's USB port to upload a sketch it is backflowing 5 volts into J118 and then into the boards- I'm thinking adding in a diode in-between the pinduino power lead and J118-4 would eliminate this.

Once I finishing tweaking the light show I'll upload some video.

-Mike

#318 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Finally had some time to make the harnesses for my Pinduino last night and installed it in my The Getaway: High Speed II. I put a strip inside the Supercharger ramp- my idea is to have a chase effect when the ball is whipping around.
With only a couple of modifications to the WPC template for initial testing it's working great! I really enjoyed building it. I'm now starting to play with various effects to see what works best for the supercharger chase. I also added a couple of small "explosions" for other flashers.
lyonsden - One thing I noticed is that when I plug my computer into the Nano's USB port to upload a sketch it is backflowing 5 volts into J118 and then into the boards- I'm thinking adding in a diode in-between the pinduino power lead and J118-4 would eliminate this.
Once I finishing tweaking the light show I'll upload some video.
-Mike

Nice work! Can't wait to see the video. Also, nice idea on adding a blocking diode.

#319 1 year ago

I had a chance to build a pinduino with a buddy for his Party Zone. Love the ramps on this game!

Code is available (open source): https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/PartyZone

#320 1 year ago

Here's a rough video of my Pinduino controlled lights on my The Getaway: High Speed II supercharger ramp:

The primary effect I was going for is to have a red chase effect when the ball is whipping around the supercharger ramp.

#321 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Here's a rough video of my Pinduino controlled lights on my The Getaway: High Speed II supercharger ramp:
» YouTube video
The primary effect I was going for is to have a red chase effect when the ball is whipping around the supercharger ramp.

Nice work, Mike! There are some other effects that you could use for things when not in the super charger. The sparkle effect may look good as a background sequence, and spreadInFromPoint2Color or bulletFromPoint2Color could be neat (with their start point at the center-front of the supercharger). I'll be in the DC area starting in Jan., and happy to help out with some programming.

#322 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

» YouTube video

Looks Sweet , good job!

1 week later
#323 1 year ago

I've picked up one of these in kit for my Metallica Pro. I'd like to be able to add stadium lighting to my MET and tie them into the pinduino so that the both the lighting color/shade and brightness can be controlled, and also preserve the existing "Fade to Black" GI fading capabilities in the game so the stadium lights would also dim/go out along with the existing build-in GI.

Is there anyway to accomplish this with pinduino? I can cut code if need be, etc. but it looks like only the flashers and a few coils are addressable. Is there a way to tie in to the GI voltage as well?

#324 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I've picked up one of these in kit for my Metallica Pro. I'd like to be able to add stadium lighting to my MET and tie them into the pinduino so that the both the lighting color/shade and brightness can be controlled, and also preserve the existing "Fade to Black" GI fading capabilities in the game so the stadium lights would also dim/go out along with the existing build-in GI.
Is there anyway to accomplish this with pinduino? I can cut code if need be, etc. but it looks like only the flashers and a few coils are addressable. Is there a way to tie in to the GI voltage as well?

That is a neat idea. I think you could, but it would require building a custom add-on circuit to measure the output of the GI. I think a bridge rectifier for the AC->DC conversion, and then find a free analog channel on the pinduino's arduino to measure the voltage drop (you may need to do something different as I'm not sure if dimming is due to pulsing the current). Once that is measured, then there can be an added function that modulates the brightness of all the pinduino effects. Given the extra needs of this project, something like the previous version of the pinduino would be best (uses an Arduino Mega and has a built-in breakout board for making such circuits.) The board files for that version of the pinduino are open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_boards/tree/master/Pinduino_v0.2 , including the gerber files to get them manufactured by SeeedStudio (https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion.html). Just upload the .rar file and you should be good to go.

#325 1 year ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

That is a neat idea. I think you could, but it would require building a custom add-on circuit to measure the output of the GI. I think a bridge rectifier for the AC->DC conversion, and then find a free analog channel on the pinduino's arduino to measure the voltage drop (you may need to do something different as I'm not sure if dimming is due to pulsing the current). Once that is measured, then there can be an added function that modulates the brightness of all the pinduino effects. Given the extra needs of this project, something like the previous version of the pinduino would be best (uses an Arduino Mega and has a built-in breakout board for making such circuits.) The board files for that version of the pinduino are open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_boards/tree/master/Pinduino_v0.2 , including the gerber files to get them manufactured by SeeedStudio (https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion.html). Just upload the .rar file and you should be good to go.

I have included the above mentioned circuitry on my PinLightShield (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/always-wanted-to-build-your-own-pinball-lightmod) and can confirm that it works just fine for detecting GI - at least in older games that use 6.3VAC for the GI. I don´t know what voltage they use in the newer games and whether it´s AC or DC.

#326 1 year ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

I have included the above mentioned circuitry on my PinLightShield (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/always-wanted-to-build-your-own-pinball-lightmod) and can confirm that it works just fine for detecting GI - at least in older games that use 6.3VAC for the GI. I don´t know what voltage they use in the newer games and whether it´s AC or DC.

Excellent news! For those that haven't seen the PinLightShield (and the SwitchShield) by BigLebowski, I highly recommend checking them out.

#327 1 year ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Excellent. I'll check this out.

#328 1 year ago

Hi All,

Just want to let people know that I'll be taking an assignment for my job in Alexandria, VA for 2018. (Starting at the end of Jan.) While Tucson will still be my home and base camp for Professor Pinball mods and all things Pinduino, I am looking forward to checking out the DC area's pinball scene. It is a great opportunity that let's me work from Tucson one week a month. Also, this means that orders to my pinside shop (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1025-professor-pinball) will still be filled, but there may be a longer delay till I can get kits assembled and mailed.

For Pinsiders in the DC area that I've met through Pinside, I am looking forward to meeting you in person. Also, I have a feeling that I'll still need to get a fix of working on games, developing Pinduino code, and installing pinduinos on games, so if you have a game that can use the pinduino magic, get in touch with me.

Best,
-Eric Lyons (aka Professor Pinball)

1 year later
#329 80 days ago

Just finished a Pinduino on my Creature From the Black Lagoon. Love it.

#330 80 days ago

Video of my old WCS. Game sold at Pintastic 2018. Did a lot of custom coding on this with a lot of help from Eric.

#332 80 days ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Video of my old WCS. Game sold at Pintastic 2018. Did a lot of custom coding on this with a lot of help from Eric.

Have you posted your code or are willing to share it?

I’ll be bringing a friend’s WCS to TPF this year and want to install a pinduino kit

#333 80 days ago
Quoted from zene10:

I’ll be bringing a friend’s WCS to TPF this year and want to install a pinduino kit

The code was shared, and it's in the pinduino library. I'm currently working on a Johnny Mnemonic. I'll share that code when I'm done with it as well.

#334 80 days ago
Quoted from zene10:

https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/World-Cup-Soccer-Ramp

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
Machine - For Sale
Bucyrus, KS
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Northbrook, IL
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 335 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside