(Topic ID: 237875)

Upcoming Forged in Fire pinball episode

By mcclad

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190318_202734 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Next week on the upcoming episode of Forged in Fire, the contestants have to forge a blade out of parts harvested from a vintage pinball machine. If anyone is not familiar with this show, it is a knife making competition between 4 blacksmiths to make the best weapon possible, oftentimes out of common items like old tools, or car parts. It will be interesting to see what they will choose as usable steel to forge a blade with, taken out of a pinball machine. It will be on Wednesday 3/13/19 at 9:00 pm.

#2 5 years ago

Sounds badass! Love that show. You could probably forge a blade out of the balls...or maybe the legs?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Sounds badass! Love that show. You could probably forge a blade out of the balls...or maybe the legs?

Should just be all the steel pieces right? And then they meld those down?
    That show is addictive for sure.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Wednesday 3/13/19 at 9:00 pm.

What network?

#6 5 years ago

Sorry. Should have mentioned that.

#7 5 years ago

I might have guessed, what with the theme/topic of a show dealing with blacksmithing.
    I am thinking that a push/pull slide coin mech from a late 40s early 50s pin might make for a good decoration on the hilt.
    Also a pop bumper ring, as a guard for the handle.
    Or maybe some type of switchblade out of zipper flipper mech.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I might have guessed, what with the theme/topic of a show dealing with blacksmithing.

WEll it could have also been Discovery, that invented the "master of arms" rip off show

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

WEll it could have also been Discovery, that invented the "master of arms" rip off show

Yeah I don’t care for that one at all :-/

#10 5 years ago

It's an awesome show watch it all the time

#11 5 years ago

It's a cool show, however.....

I'm really surprised no one has chimed in yet, raising the pitchforks, yelling you can't destroy a pinball machine.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

It's a cool show, however.....
    I'm really surprised no one has chimed in yet, raising the pitchforks, yelling you can't destroy a pinball machine.

I volunteer as tribute? Some of those parts are bloody hard to find. Especially pre 60's non-Gottlieb. Watch them melt down a bunch of endcap style Gottlieb lockdown bars and I might start a war.. : P

#13 5 years ago

I'm guessing they will use a lockdown bar or leg

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I'm guessing they will use a lockdown bar or leg

Logically these make the most sense, due to volume of material. Not very thrilling to watch though, I would think. Sadly, to do anything more interesting would require cannibalizing smaller parts. Wanna see someone take coils and do a copper inlay into a cabinet-body plywood hilt?

#15 5 years ago

Legs metal might not be hard enough. Might have to use balls for hard metal and mix in leg metal or lockdown for the handle

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'm pretty sure I've watched an episode where they used ball bearings. It is a surprisingly interesting show.

#17 5 years ago

Definitely going to be some canister Damascus going on.

Springs and balls.

Love this show.... to test the blades it looks like they made a giant pinball machine and they launch balls in to the blades to see if they break

#19 5 years ago

Looks like a GTB Sunset is going to be used as parts machine,
    then they maybe making a Hercules sized pin to test the blades?

1 week later
    #20 5 years ago

Watching it now...great show. I like hiw the host is playing the pinball in the beginning....he says "I love pinball"...now destroy this vintage one to make knives. Lol should be fun even though I an cringing right now as they tear into it. At least the cabinet it void of any artwork...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #21 5 years ago

Lol...they welded solid rod for legs so the guys could make knives...didnt even use real pinball parts
    20190318_202734 (resized).jpg20190318_202734 (resized).jpg

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Lol...they welded solid rod for legs so the guys could make knives...didnt eve use real pinball parts[quoted image]

Noticed that...They had think solid metal 'rails' on the playfield too, non if it original to the pinball. Pretty cool non the less.

#23 5 years ago

Just 5-minutes in on-demand, yeah, totally kayfabe with a machine doped with appropriate metal shapes and parts, lol...

Never watched this before, is that the norm for this show, just shove metal parts to be used into some random device?

I'm tuning out...

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Just 5-minutes in on-demand, yeah, totally kayfabe with a machine doped with appropriate metal shapes and parts, lol...
    Never watched this before, is that the norm for this show, just shove metal parts to be used into some random device?
    I'm tuning out...

Nope, it is a great show. Usually car springs, ect. This was an unusual gimmick.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Lol...they welded solid rod for legs so the guys could make knives...didnt eve use real pinball parts[quoted image]

I was kind of disappointed. It was a cop-out. Machines don't have legs like that. Whats the point of using an object for metal, if you add metal to it so it can be used? I was thinking they could use coil plungers, or stuff like that. If they need to harvest metal from a lawn mower, they use the blade, or if its a bike they use the chain. On the pinball they used nothing from the actual machine.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Lol...they welded solid rod for legs so the guys could make knives...didnt even use real pinball parts
    [quoted image]

I like the show, but that's pretty lame. Perhaps they were making something large that required more "good" steel than otherwise available on a pinball machine?

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I like the show, but that's pretty lame. Perhaps they were making something large that required more "good" steel than otherwise available on a pinball machine?

Theres not a lot of "good" metal in a pin. its mostly soft metal. no need for large pieces of hardened metal

#28 5 years ago

should have made them use balls

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

should have made them use balls

That's what I was thinking... they would use balls as the hard metal, and maybe use some soft metal for the spine of the blade. springs would also have been hardenable metal, but not much mass of springs in a machine.

#30 5 years ago

I'd have thought the balls would be fair game. At least they didn't destroy an Appollo 13 for the sake of keeping it real.

#31 5 years ago

I thought the episode was entertaining and they even went to the trouble of creating a giant sized replica for one of the strength tests. The legs and rails being solid bars of steel was pretty hokey though :-/

#32 5 years ago

Yup....love the show and I was excited to see the pinball connection, but planting usable steel around the machine was a bit of a cop out (what’s the point??). I thought they’d be fighting over the balls and maybe the lock down bar... or maybe making canister Damascus using springs and switch leaves and such. And why was the cabinet painted white? It must have been trashed, or maybe the Gtb logo was too prominent.

Anyway, still enjoying this show but sadly this was not their best episode. Those barbarian swords looked pretty cool, though.

#33 5 years ago

Good show....disappointing episode.

#34 5 years ago

Wasn’t interested enough to make it through the episode. Got boring really quick when they started using metal that wasn’t part of the game.

1 week later
    #35 5 years ago

Any time you get publicity for pinball on a popular TV show it's a good thing. Pinball needs it. 99.9% of the people watching didn't pick up on them switching leg material anyway, they probably wanted to go with the concept but realized the metal on the machine wasn't going to do the job.

1 month later
    #36 4 years ago

Would have been easier if they tossed 6 balls into the game. Would have any non-pinheads know there isn't six balls in an em? Also, at least balls are an original item to a pin and would have made more sense it they got 2 balls each for hardened steel.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upcoming-forged-in-fire-pinball-episode?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.