(Topic ID: 1240)

Up The Stairs?

By PINBELL

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

What's the best way to get a pinball up a flight of stairs?
    Thanks!!!

#2 13 years ago

Well I use a hand truck but I keep the coin door open and am able to get a better grip on the wood frame of the pin, never bounce the steps going down just hold back and go easy.

#3 13 years ago

Have some other people carry it ... LOL

Seriously though I have found just sliding it on a cloth sheet to work well. If you need to turn a corner just lift it on the the end with the backglass (you tied or wrapped that down of course). Then spin it, lay it back down, and continue. I have my favorite two machines upstairs in my own private little den/bedroom. The CV and the TZ.

You can take your time and just move it a few inches in spurts. It's easier that trying to lift it in the air or use a wheeled truck.

#4 13 years ago

If you have a balcony you could rent one of those cherry pickers and bring it in thru the outside.

#5 13 years ago

I have stairs and ran 5 machines up and down. All you need is 4 guys and a case of beer.
    have the legs off, backbox down, and something ready upstairs to put the machine down on so your friends can rest and put the legs on it. Have every man on the corner making the machine 50 ibs to everyone and go one step at a time counting off, it should take 30 secs up there if that. Plug and play and crack open some beers

#6 13 years ago

First guy I bought a pin from had one of these: stair climbing hand truck - thing is no joke

#7 13 years ago

That thing looks handy. Can probably rent one from Lowes or Home Depot. I place my pins on Sawhorses when I remove the legs.

#8 13 years ago

Yes, half a dozen machines up and down narrow flight of 17 stairs. Two BIG guys or 3 regular sized people and a dolly. Stair climbing dollies rock, but we just have a regular old appliance dolly.

#9 13 years ago

Just make sure the beer or liquor reward is AFTER the machine(s) are upstairs

#10 13 years ago

I got my pin up by having me and 3 others 2 on each side walk it up. With four guys it is not that difficult if you have a wide enough stair case. Make sure you have something at the top of the stairs you can rest the machine on for a while so you can get the legs on I used a dog kennel and it worked like a charm.

Donnyman and I did the exact same thing and worked out well for both of us.

#11 13 years ago

I've been using a normal home depot appliance dolly for a while now and it has served me well. 2 people can move a pin up or down stairs fairly easily. Just take your time and use the rubber things on the back to ease it down/up the stair.

As noted, some people use a blanket and slide it, this also works well. But can be a bit more tricky if things go wrong. I like a dolly because you can strap the pin to it.

If you are one of those rich person types, get the escalara stair climber thing...

#12 13 years ago

The other possibility is to use the anti-gravity device from Star Trek. It's very easy but the biggest problem is charging it from the warp engine manifold outputs. Remember to uncouple the Heisenberg compensators first.

#13 13 years ago

All my pins are up stairs. My friends love it when i get a new pin but they know another trip upstairs is ahead of them. You can do it with 2 strong ppl but i tend to use 3. 2 to carry each end the third to make sure its balanced coming up. I like to leave the legs on. it helps if the person on the other end needs to set it down for a couple seconds.

#14 13 years ago

For clearance issues, I'll have to let down the backbox, and dolly it up vertically! Any precautions?
    Thanks!

#15 13 years ago

Strap method! Bolt a heavy duty strap into each side where you bolt the legs into. One guy on each side, then slide the pin up the stairs. It literally took me and my best friend literally 90 seconds to move a STTNG up a full flight of stairs. My wife and I moved the WH2O down the stairs with the same method by ourselves. Piece of cake.

RD

#16 13 years ago

Just don't get too many machines, keep in mind when you move you will all of a sudden have no friends!

#17 13 years ago

Make sure the backglass is locked in place before folding down the backbox. Put a towel or something over the glass covering the playfield, the side rails can get bent where the top of the backbox rests on them when folded down. I don't know how, but someone did on one of my games. The fat lady maybe sat on it.

Remove the balls before moving, and make sure the hand truck is longer than the cabinet. The amount of leverage the guy on top gets makes it easy with two people. Superpin or widebody, better have 3. Unless you have the anti-grav device, hey BD they had anti-grav sleds didn't they? That sounds more like the blanket on the steps trick.

#18 13 years ago

Take off the legs, back box (yes, take all the plugs out), the glass plate and the playfield. Take all pieces up the stairs and reassemble the machine again. It will take a while but it works perfect.
    I use this method for almost 20 years and transported dozens of pinballs up and down the stairs.

Good luck and if you want any extra information let me know.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-stairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.