(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,810 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 minutes ago by PanzerKraken
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25d6415bd4f5ee62b5604e3e73d30ef0bdc2c8d0 (resized).jpg
72038EF4-8215-4C19-B733-688FFB33D320 (resized).jpeg
8820CDAA-4B0B-4D67-844D-8D3197E44344 (resized).jpeg
B267A7B9-3222-426E-B14A-09BCED66716E (resized).jpeg
EEEBA8AA-85EA-4EBE-9123-16F1A419FDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6704 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zodiacmunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9833 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I got my NIB premium today and have a few questions.
#2 - the plunge. Using the shooter rod the plunge isnt able to make that awesome loop 90% of the time. Ive changed springs and adjusted the position. The Auto plunge makes it EVERY time and its cool. Anyone else have that issue?

I think the post right before yours summarizes potential solutions to plunger issues, although some of them are auto-plunger too. I got a NIB Pro yesterday and I have the same problem. Auto plunger mostly fine, manual plunger very low percentage of reaching the loop. The Stern adjustment definitely made it significantly better, but it still isn't as reliable as I'd want. I'll probably try to bend it more this weekend and tinker with it.

#9846 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

What stern adjustment?

I was referring to this:
https://o.pinside.com/2/d7/6d/2d76d16f8452308eab945aa48cd745cc10f1e3de.pdf

Thanks to everyone else for all of the advice. In my case, the auto-plunger was almost always making it. Manual plunge almost always hit the extra ball target. After the adjustment above it certainly got better and now manual plunger does make it sometimes, but I think I still need to tweak. It has enough power to make it around the orbit when it does go through, but it seems weirdly inconsistent. The feedback on the "wedge fix" sounded promising, so maybe I'll try that after checking the easier-to-fix things.

Anyways, this thread has plenty of things for me to try, and it is close enough that I'm pretty confident one of these approaches will get it the rest of the way there. Unfortunately, I'm more addicted to playing it, even with this imperfection, than fiddling with the feed. This game is fun

2 months later
#10511 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

My girlfriend has been playing a lot of Funhouse on our virtual pin lately and I'm getting the feeling Elwin was a fan? There seems to be a lot of similar shots in Maiden like the upper left flipper shots, super dog target and mystery location. Also left inlane shatz target and orbits that feed the upper flipper. Also a shot through pop bumpers.

Who isn’t a Funhouse fan? It’s a classic!

A lot of the things you describe I feel are general things Pat Lawlor is known for. I always felt Iron Maiden resembles Twilight Zone a lot, another Lawlor, only much faster. All are amazing pins.

3 months later
#11190 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Maiden is one of my favorite games. Wondering if ANYBODY has started super wizard mode Run to the Hills or has seen it achieved in person (watching a stream does not count) My guess is no. I think it is nearly an impossible task, like starting the super wizard mode in Iron Man that has been proven on paper to be impossible.

I have not done it personally, but I've gotten to 8 tomb treasures a number of times and I know what I failed at to miss my opportunity each time -- it isn't always the same problem for me. I know you said streams don't count, but Karl's stream on YouTube clearly shows it being done on an IM pro. It just requires a lot of execution, and some amount of planning.

FWIW, I just got pinmonk flipper fans because I was sick of getting close to RTTH and dealing the flippers getting a lot weaker. It got noticeable usually before starting Number of the Beast for me, and unless you have all your level 2 Eddie cards already, failing the beast is a big deal in terms of your RTTH chances. Hopefully this means I will successfully get to RTTH soon, but we will see

To your question about there being more shards available on the premium, I don't believe that is true (even with insider connected granting Can I Play With Madness access for pros). You can't get a soul shard or tomb treasure from Can I Play With Madness. What the rulesheet means is that it replaces one of the Tomb Treasure awards (3rd one). As far as I can tell, it doesn't actually help your RTTH chances in any way. (Unless you turn the extra ball from it on, but it is factory default off I think)

You can also tell both which soul shards you have and also how many tomb treasures you've collected from the status report menu when you hold your flipper up.

Also, it is an important detail that you can collect a soul shard from a level 3 mystery award, so all is not lost if you've played Rime of the Ancient Mariner for the 2nd time and failed yet again on those stupid starboard shots!

Edit: fixed typo pro->premium

#11198 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You are able to hold a flipper up to see status screen ? Say what, which one? Since when?
I know about the end of ball bonus screen and getting to see shard count but during game play, I’ve never seen it.

Here's an example:

(And if you haven't watched this whole video before, I'd definitely recommend it if you want to see how someone can get to Run to the Hills)

#11200 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Not to be pedantic, but it's worth mentioning that you can only collect a single soul shard from a L3 Mystery award *after* you play Two Minutes To Midnight. If you miss on two of the mode soul shards you'll need to get one of them on the next round and then one can be available as the L3 award. Separately, it can also award a "random" L2 card so if you have 3 of the Level 2 cards and fail NotB you can spam the drops and try to get that 4th card to hop back into it.

Good point. And I completely missed that a random L2 card could be a mystery award! That's huge considering tomb treasure #9 also spots a random L2 card. Time to practice sweeping the drops

#11204 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

And question for everyone, I'm watching the video that was just linked and I noticed when he shoots the center ramp the ball comes down really nicely to his right paddle so that he can do a drop catch. On my machine the ball only comes to the tip of the right paddle so that if I try a drop catch it just flies into the center... anyone else have this issue?

On my machine if it comes out slow, like when starting a mode, I usually have to dead bounce it to the left because it is closer to the tip of the right flipper. If it comes out with some speed, like after hitting right orbit or mini loop, it is almost always drop-catchable on the right flipper. I think my machine is level.

2 weeks later
#11268 2 years ago
Quoted from ZodiacMunch:

FWIW, I just got pinmonk flipper fans because I was sick of getting close to RTTH and dealing the flippers getting a lot weaker. It got noticeable usually before starting Number of the Beast for me, and unless you have all your level 2 Eddie cards already, failing the beast is a big deal in terms of your RTTH chances. Hopefully this means I will successfully get to RTTH soon, but we will see

To anyone that is on the fence about getting Pinmonk flipper fans, I’m happy to report that it absolutely makes a noticeable difference for those long runs where the right ramp and the right flipper pharaoh shot start getting difficult.

96E93D7B-CBD2-43E4-8F6E-1E33E954530D (resized).jpeg96E93D7B-CBD2-43E4-8F6E-1E33E954530D (resized).jpeg
1145BAA9-A03A-4C73-9F99-0A0ABA7ECDBC (resized).jpeg1145BAA9-A03A-4C73-9F99-0A0ABA7ECDBC (resized).jpeg

I’d like to say I handled getting to RTTH with a quiet dignity, but really my son and I were jumping up and down screaming like banshees. The last couple right orbit shots were pretty nerve-racking. Weirdly enough this was without a successful 6-way combo.

Thanks PinMonk

#11274 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Is this a 4-flipper fan set or just the bottom two? I'm not sure if having the upper two cooled is necessary but I'd be willing to take this more on advisement than my own intuition.

Only the bottom 2. I don't think I really notice any problems with the upper 2.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

I have no issues making the ramps after playing for over an hour...

That's good, and if you don't notice anything then I'd think it's fine as is. I'm sure climate and specific machine matters. To clarify, for me it never got so weak that the shots weren't makeable. But the fade was a noticeable factor that I had to gradually account for in my play, and I don't need to account for that anymore after cooling. (e.g. right ramp "spot" on the flipper gradually got closer to the tip.) I bought mine NIB and it has always been this way for me.

1 week later
#11328 1 year ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

So I've been flipping through all the old posts in this thread and found a number of possible fixes for my inconsistent shooter but none have helped. Has a definitive fix been noted?
I've tried:
Waxing the shooter lane
Adjusting the ball guide
Adjusting the shooter
Adjusting the auto plunger
Levelling playfield to within an inch of its life
What am I missing? Plunges are consistently inconsistent. Going high, then low, then high etc etc.
I've only owned my Maiden for a couple of months and absolutely love it, but geez the plunge is a let down.

I think I've tried most things, and at this point I do have it working fine, but I don't fully expect it to stay that way and I expect that I'll have to tweak it again in the future. From my experience though I'll say a few things that I hope might help. (And these aren't my original ideas, they are from this thread...)

The ball guide screw is the first thing to look at. Not only making sure it is in the right place, but also that it is tight. When my plunge shot got extremely inconsistent, it was because this screw loosened over time. The last time I had to tighten it I had to use toothpicks/woodglue to get it to grip properly.

More importantly though, as someone else said before, if the guide is completely relying on that screw to be held in place, I think you'll eventually run into problems. The best adjustment I found was to completely remove the rail and adjust it out of the machine. (The adjustment screw plus 2 screws under the level is all that's necessary to get it out, so it isn't as hard as you might initially think). Once it is out of the machine, it is easy to bend it a bit to get it into the "correct" state without completely relying on the adjustment screw to fight the tension. It might take a few iterations of taking it out and putting it in, but I had much more success with this method and it felt more permanent. Plus, it is way easier to file down any burrs at the end when it is out of the machine.

Lastly, I do think swapping out the auto-plunger coil for something slightly more powerful was a nice change. More consistently goes around the whole orbit, and gives you more headroom to fine tune power adjustments in software. Maybe not strictly necessary, but I definitely have no regrets about doing it.

Hope this helps, good luck. No question the most frustrating issue I've had owning an IM

1 week later
#11413 1 year ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Hey all-
Quick Qs - what are the different order/approach to getting the 6 combo and how the heck do I do Mystery to get a Ph treasure?

I think a lot depends on how reliably you can live catch the feed from the right orbit. I find that when I hit the big loop, the return is too fast for me to catch reliably, so I leave that to last. But if that's not true for you, probably putting both loops early in the combo would make sense. Almost always mini-loop first, since it's the most difficult shot and really difficult with the ball at speed.

mini-loop->left ramp->right ramp->right orbit->left-inner orbit->big loop is what I normally do, but I don't think it is ideal.

If you are aiming for RTTH, I'd highly recommend just reading the rule sheet. I don't think you're really spoiling anything if you don't read about what you do in RTTM itself, and there is some information I think you're much better off knowing. (e.g. it is important to wait on collecting the 2MTM jackpot to get a 2x jackpot, since that is how you get a level 2 eddie card)

Rulesheet:
http://tiltforums.com/t/iron-maiden-pinball-rulesheet/3787

I'm not sure what you mean about Mystery->tomb treasure. You can collect a soul shard, which will light a tomb treasure, by collecting a level 3 mystery award after completing 2MTM. You can only do this once, and it is not strictly necessary. But if you miss collecting a soul shard on a mode, it can make up for that.

#11422 1 year ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Fair points. I think the big trade off of big loop 3rd is the massive speed you create (per zodiac comment) and whether that decreases your probability of success (getting back under control).

Yeah exactly. I feel like it definitely would be better to put big loop earlier in the rotation. But for me, failed live catches on the really fast big loop return caused enough drains that I got sick of it and changed my approach.

Then again, the only time I've achieved RTTH, I did not get 6-way combo, which seems kind of silly. So maybe I should be practicing that fast live catch more to make things easier.

4 months later
#11911 1 year ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I own an IMDN Prem (it's not leaving) and thinking of adding a Rush Pro. I have played one on location and have really enjoyed it (and I am a Rush fan), but I worry that once I own it and the new game exploration period is over that I will find it to be just a shooter similar to IMDN but not as good and will want to move it. I prefer to buy thinking a game is a keeper, so I am reaching out to those of you who own both games or who have played both extensively to ask your opinion about having both in your home lineup.

I own both. I own Rush because I love Rush the band. I own Iron Maiden because I love the game (and maybe now I love Iron Maiden the band too)

Just my opinion of course, but I could never imagine getting sick of IMDN. It's so fast and open, layout-wise. It has deep rules with various levels of challenges for different skill levels. A lot of replayability

Rush is really fun too, but it shoots quite differently. To me, it feels more closed off and not as smooth. The rules are good, with a lot of layers to them that you can pay attention to or ignore. More snowbally than IMDN I'd say.

I do personally like IMDN more than Rush. But I'm not trying to be negative about Rush. I like it and own it. My main point is that I don't think you are going to get sick of Rush because it is similar in any way to IMDN.

#11923 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I wonder if stern will update their tour schedule in the game

I believe they have been. I know the show near me popped up with one of the last updates.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zodiacmunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=zodiacmunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.