Quoted from Whifflebat:
I just joined the club with a Pro that should be arriving later this week for home use. Got the Stern HD glass, Stern shaker motor and headphone jack/volume control with it. As this is my first pin (I'm a mix of extremely excited and "dear god, what have I done..." ), I have a few questions regarding set up and care.
1. What do you all have your play fields leveled at? Reading through the thread, most have it set at 6.5-6.8. Is that the general consensus?
2. I've read that the balls that Stern supplies with the game aren't great. Should I switch them out immediately?
3. I've heard a few differing opinions on whether it's necessary to wax a brand new, home use only pin vs. just cleaning the play field regularly and changing out the balls once they start to get dull, scratched or pitted. Thoughts?
4. What play field cleaner is recommended? I've seen some recommend Novus 1
5. Recommendations on what to use to clean the HD glass? I understand that nothing with ammonia should be used
Let me tell you what you have just done. You have just bought one of the best pinball machines that has ever been made and you're going to love it! You have also started a addiction that is going to end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars throughout your lifetime.
#1 that should be about the right incline for your playfield. i set mine according to the little bubble indicator beside the shooter lane.
#2 The balls from Stern have been pretty good recently, just look them over real good and make sure they arent pitted or anything and clean them off good before putting them in your game because pinballs come covered in light oil to prevent them from rusting. I would probably go ahead and order some better balls though from pinball life or ball baron.
#3 No need to wax your playfield when its new, clean it if its dirty but it is probably ok right out of the box. I change my balls every year, 6 months if the game gets heavy use. I also check them everytime i clean the game which is about every 250-300 plays.
#4 i use Novus 1, spray it in a rag and wipe the playfield, dont spray the cleaner directly on the playfield. If you have ball trails you can clean them up with some Novus 2. Novus 2 is also ok down the road if the playfield gets really dirty all over and you need to give the entire playfield a good cleaning.
#5 I have no idea how to clean the HD glass sorry.
#6 CONGRATS AND ENJOY YOUR NEW GAME!!