(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,842 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

MSRP on recent LE's (SW, GOTG) has been $8999 but street prices were averaging around $8300 around release time. so about a ~$500 price increase.

Are those prices frickin FOR REAL!?

#162 6 years ago

Are all the photos thus far of the Pro only? I can’t follow all these threads

#165 6 years ago

Looking like Premium for me... unbelievable I lost the bet that this would be a disaster! Lol.great for Maiden, bad for the wallet!

6 months later
#2562 5 years ago

How's everybody still loving this game, several months in now? Still looks pretty positive

#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I find shots on IMDN just way more intuitive than SW. SW was probably the first Ritchie game where the ramp and orbit shots just somehow felt 'off'. I can't quite explain it, but right ramp and right orbit were always a chore (for me) to shoot and left orbit wasn't much better. Left ramp was ok and so was the mini loop, except if the fork ramp is up. Then that can be a bit frustrating too. I thought with IMDN that the left ramp was going to be a bother, but in fact I really like making that shot. I have never played TWD so I can't comment on that one.
Rob

Sounds like it is still a big winner! Even better for those of us that like the theme. I’m a huge fan of the band but actually think the way the music is integrated is sort of annoying - part of pinball i guess. Can’t disagree on the comments on SW ^^^^

#2648 5 years ago
Quoted from LowScores:

Did anyone notice a change in the way things sound on the new code as far as the balance within the tunes themselves?
Do they ever change the audio encoding / files with an upgrade?
I can't tell if its just me, but vocals seem more distant now, call outs seem to lower volume of music more.
This could just be me as I try to get the game to sound ok.

That sounds like the stereo mix was changed. Must be in the game code / config somewhere

#2653 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, that is how it is now. In the old days DJ's had a lot more say. And local DJ's were treated like rock stars in their territory, in fact they were more popular at some of the concerts that they hosted/presented than some of the bands.
Now, its the same cut and paste format owned by the same like 3 corporations, and all they do is plug in the unique station id's...
Really sad. But, yes being a DJ is a dying profession.
And that is one of the downfalls or cause of Rock music dying out. Can't ever hope to get on your local station. Not that anyone ever listens to it anymore... But, then again Radio isn't as dead as people say. Listenership has increased in more than a few markets over the last few years...
But, why would I ever listen to the radio when I own so much of my own music, and I can pick and choose exactly what I want in my own car.

This is pretty right on; when I was on in St Louis in the early 2000s we actually got to pick one or two songs, but the veterans at the station used to pick almost the whole playlists during their show. Well, the popular ones anyway. F Clear Channel though. They killed radio

2 weeks later
#2774 5 years ago

Hey all - just joined the club!

Game works and plays great - one question though: I have a Premium, and the sound is AWFUL. What is the deal, ?! Are the songs in mono, or perhaps my speakers are out of phase? I am willing to upgrade the speakers if that’s the issue but man... man it is bad. It is actually hurting my ears to play. This is also my first Spike game, are they all like this?

Before the jokes start, let me say that I love Maiden, so the songs aren’t the problem!

#2780 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I had the same problem with my premium. I upgraded to a FF 10" kit and that made a pretty significant difference. It took a bunch of adjustments to get it there and I still can't get turn the volume up very high without crackling. The cheapo amp stern uses is the real culprit.

Is the amp replaceable? I’m not up on a Spike tech. Seems sort of questionable for a friggin MUSIC pin!

Also, does anyone know if the LEs have larger speakers? Or are they just more efficient, with more neutral output?

I should revise my post - I’m not exactly saying the sound is “bad” (although certainly it could be better), it’s that it sounds wrong to me, like the speakers are out of phase, or the music is an MP3 with the high and low end chopped off. Maybe something to check when I get home.

#2781 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

On my Pro, the connector at the cabinet speaker/woofer was connected but one of the wires wasn't actually seated in the connector, I had virtually no sound coming out of the cabinet speaker when I would stick my head down at the speaker. That killed 90% of the bass, and was like this since purchase I believe.
I suffered wondering why the sound was a little weak for months, only realized this issue when I upgraded to Flipper Fidelity speakers and had the same problem, LOL.

Thanks! I will check this too

#2782 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can go into utilities/volume and play with the settings. Are the speakers set to 4 or 8 ohm?
If you want to play it loud, you likely will have to use a cheap external $30 amp off Amazon and use the line-out from the board instead of the wimpy on-board amplifier. There are instructions on making a cable on pinside.

I must have missed that in the menu, I will fool with the settings. Thanks! I’ll check the speakers, not sure what impedance it is set to.

I’m actually turning it WAY down because the sound is so harsh. Maybe I’ll play Powerslave on vinyl instead ! Haha

#2787 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Instructions on using an external amp with cleaner power and more control here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden

Thanks dude! If ever this was needed, it’s for this game!

I’ll check which SW I am running as well, I havent checked that either.

#2789 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Seems like the sound changes occasionally. Sometimes it sounds pretty good and sometimes it doesn’t. I just wuit worrying about it and i play. Hooefully they will get it right eventually with code updates.

Thanks (?) for the insight. The sound is consistently bad. Clearly it is noticeable to others. It may be digital distortion or just really crap speakers, or it may be something not hooked up right. I’m on the case!

#2794 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do you have the latest code update?

I don’t know but that is a good reminder when I get home!

#2808 5 years ago

Update!

Looks like I did need to update from 1.02 to 1.05, so the bass/treble adjustment helps a lot. I am still going to do some speaker updates though; these stock speakers are just terrible sounding. At least I’m getting some good bass now though! I turned the treble WAY down to get rid of some of the harshness, but without an EQ it can start to sound muddy. Still, MAJOR improvement!

#2823 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

I understand why you might feel that way, but I can't say that I agree with that... not all games are designed to have the flippers flush with the ball guides. See GB for a very recent example.
Always use the holes... especially on IMDN, as Keith Elwin himself has specifically said that the flippers should be aligned with the holes. That's why the holes are there.

So stern sets up flippers to be pointed at the holes? I was always taught on B/W games to let the flippers rest just above the holes, or even stick a toothpick in and let them sit on top

#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm relaxed I meant it more as helpful I guess I should have left out the f word and Jesus but damn I like those words. Will fix it now. Oh and I'm waiting for my Pre to arrive so maybe I'm little anxious and hating all of u because u have ur pin.

SUCKA!!!!!!!

When does yours arrive?

Make sure you update as soon as humanly possible; the audio sounds like ass OOTB and you need the 1.05 update so you don’t stab your ears out

1 week later
#2890 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

Help!!! Went to install new shooter rod, and when I lifted the play field, this screw fell into the cabinet. It looks like and adjustment screw, but for the life of me I cannot find where it goes. I looked over everything but nothing seems to be missing. Any ideas?
[quoted image]

Check your side rails, I’ve seen those used in place of the proper bolts on either side of the game

#2895 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I backed mine down to 10% during gameplay and i have no glare at all now. When the game is done...BOOM backbox lights back up!

This

#2900 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Soul shards dont unlock tomb treasure awards. Just doing pretty well in Korea and multiballs does that. Soul shards are harder to achieve than just that.

Pretty well in KOREA?! Is that a secret wizard mode?

#2907 5 years ago

Clean the glass with a glass cleaner which does NOT have Ammonia. That means Windex should be thrown away. Many glass cleaners do not use Ammonia, just read the label. That’s the main requirement. A lot of people use this “purple magic” stuff so you may want to look for that

#2934 5 years ago

Anybody know how I can attach this mod to my game?!

EFBE5065-CE5E-4BF4-9CE0-3E949FE5B47D (resized).jpegEFBE5065-CE5E-4BF4-9CE0-3E949FE5B47D (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#3082 5 years ago

On the fence about this game, all - Is there a post with suggestions on how to optimize the game setup?

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Theres not much to be on the fence about honestly unless you just despise the music. This game is awesome in every way!

And I love Maiden the band, It is just not clicking. I must not like pinball after all

#3090 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I really like Iron Maiden and the music still gets old. I just turn the music down and put something else on. I wouldn't let that stop you.

This would ruin the game for me. I had AC/DC for a while, I liked 2 or 3 modes better than the rest. I got SO sick of those 2 or 3 songs over and over and over. It's critical that the song choice has nothing to do with game play.
Even they weren't tied to modes, they'd still be too repetitive based on how you play the game.

I am considering replacing some of the background music with other songs using Pinball Browser just so I don't start hating Maiden; I do think the horrendous audio is hurting the experience. Eh, maybe I need to play it more

#3137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I just added these two insert-coloring mods to the Iron Maiden lens tree mod thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod#post-4665122). They'll be in the Pin Monk store here on pinside (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk) next week:
FIREBALL BRACKET
[quoted image]
EDDIE CARDS
[quoted image]

Damn it., I’ve been thinking about selling but after re-leveling the game and seeing these .. ughh.. and I’m out of space!

#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Okay.... So, it looks like I got to make my first major repair on my Iron Maiden... Major for me that is. It should just be a minor repair. Also I got another weird issue for you all to hear about.
So the upper flipper one of the soldered wires broke on it. And I think I just need to re-attach it... Its the two grey wires that go on the coil and not the other one. Anything special I need to do to solder it. Do I need to strip the wire and rethread it into the little holes... Just curious as I've never soldered pinball wires before.
And my second issue is few about few days now, when I've been playing. Sometimes the game does a ball search sometimes it doesn't. Well... I found out why it did the ball search.
when I took the balls out of game so I can raise the playfield there were only 5 balls in the tray... But, there were no balls in the sarcophagus lock or the little tunnel leading to it or the playfield... Somehow the ball got loose somewhere, and fell beneath the playfield. When I lifted it up it dropped into hte cabinet. Weird...
Just really weird.

I'm getting quite a few balls getting caught in between the sarcophagus lock and the plastic - it's jamming the sarcophagus lock and I'm sure eventually will lead to motor burnout, or something breaking. Anybody have a suggested fix for this?

#3152 5 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

Same here. I think the easy fix is to Mount a Hex Spacer on top the plastic with the original screw. Mentioned someone before.

Aah nice, thanks!

#3253 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Just added the cyborg figure to premium. I took the bracket off original figure and drilled it into back of aftermarket figure. The trick was positioning his legs in a decent manner as I know another Pinsider had cut his legs down to fit.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really great! Where did you get the cyborg figure from?

#3254 5 years ago

(posted this in issues thread, but this is more appropriate):

What's everybody doing as far as their pitch on the game?

I bought one a few months ago and the legs were set to about a 7.3 pitch. The game was hard as hell, but it seemed pretty well dialed in. It's a bit *too* hard for me, so I just pulled it back down to 6.5, and now everything is all crazy! Shots are not returning to the flippers properly, I'm getting tons of drains. Some of it is just me getting used to the new pitch and speed, but it seems excessively floaty. Just curious what's a good setting. thanks!

#3262 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought Keith and/or some of the guys said in a deadflip stream that the game plays best at or around 7 deg. Mine is around 7.1-7.3 and plays fantastic.

aah ok thanks, that definitely makes sense

#3264 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

It's another aftermarket Eddie. Cyborg is a bit expensive compared to the others.

but I mean where can you find that thing, I'm seeing it for $200! that can't be right, can it?

#3269 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Mine is 7.1 degrees. Plays great now.

Thanks- setting it back now!

#3318 5 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

So I was just playing, had mummy sarcophagus up and ready for a ball lock. Had a weird bounce off the drop targets and it ended you in the lock.
The game actually had a 'dirty pool' call-out.
Awesome!

That’s funny, I just heard that during attract mode last night!

1 week later
#3417 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope, that's pretty much the extent of it. Gives you plenty of time to align it perfectly, then you squeegee out the excess soapy water (make your own in an empty and well-rinsed windex bottle using a tablespoon or so of dish soap and then fill with water) and wipe it off with a paper towel.
This pretty much covers it:

plus there's no downside. This is a must if you have the more fragile paper-based blades

#3428 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

But the modes make no sense then....
I like Iron Maiden music though

I dont get why everyone says this. It will still say “2 minutes to midnight” and it’s not like the callouts are different - or the text, or the rules! I am replacing 2 minutes with “speed of light” per request of my son, and probably Aces high with “algorithm” by Muse. I don’t mind that, Powerslave is way over-represented

#3434 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Clearly you dont listen to Maiden. The song lyrics tie in to the gameplay very well. Not a judgment. To each their own but if I dont like a band, I dont play that pin. You couldn't pay me to play Aerosmith.Theme counts for a lot with me though. I love Borg games but cant get into walking dead because its walking dead. I dont blindly go for theme either though. Ghostbusters is an amazing theme but I dont want to own one...or really even put money in one

Good god. Nope. Clearly I Don’t listen to Maiden. Here is a video from last year of me playing the Trooper with one of my bands.

The lyrics absolutely do -not- tie in with the gameplay in any meaningful way except maybe in Aces High and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Anyway, how is changing a song on a rock pin to another song BY THE SAME BAND such sacrelige? Had a hard time getting into it at first but I definitely think this game is on par with Dialed In, with some more interesting shots mixed in there

#3446 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Wonder what slope that pin is set at? Mine is so damn fast it's nearly unplayable. I've been raising it/lowering it and just can't get it dialed in. Even set the flippers to soft. Makes no difference. I lower it and the balls fly off ramps, I raise it and it's just as fast.

Same here - the game is supposed to be set up at 7.x pitch, right? That is so fast I can barely keep up, much less actually complete many of the modes!

#3450 5 years ago

I asked a few weeks ago and it was mentioned that the game “plays best” when elevated. When i put it down to 6.5 it was bricks and missed returns everywhere

#3541 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Spoke to Elwin tonight. It’s definitely coming.

Spill it. When / what?

#3545 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Big circuit tournament this weekend, INDISC, and IMDN is in the bank. Elwin asked the organizer if it would be running the latest code and he wasn’t referring to 1.05.

Was this a coy way of unveiling the update? How are they supposed to update if there's nothing released?

#3605 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Big thread
Do you Premium owners wish you bought a Pro instead?
I keep reading in other threads the Premium/LE mechs are guaranteed problematic.
Seems like Pro is the way to go unless I want to tinker more than play?

HELL no. The additional Newton ball is cool (have not had a problem after adjusting mine 1 time) and the sarcophagus lock and jump ramp are key to the game. I have lifted the PF on mine 2 times, once was to install Vic’s mode color mod.

People are also forgetting there is another whole mode “can I play with madness “ which is not in the pro.

#3653 5 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

@ PW79. FWIW. My premium has been fine after a few initial tweeks and then some blue lock-tite. I know several others that would say something similar about their games. If cost is not an issue, and you or a friend doesn't mind taking some time to dial it in. Then, go for the premium/le. My game was also from the first run. I'm fine using the original posts for the ball targets. I hear the more pointy ones are even better.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Stern's build quality (cabinets cracking, using the skinny leg plates, etc), but I think the issues on this game have been way overblown. I have an LE and did have to deal with the captive balls - once. Tightened the nut, barely touched the switches, done. The autofire has taken a few more minutes to work out, but absolutely nothing major. Every NIB game I've ever owned has had some adjustment. So I guess what I"m saying is, definitely get the LE! The game is just way more fun

#3659 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

As a Pro owner and having played the Prem/LE I wouldn't be happy with the Prem/LE experience at this point. I'm sure if you only play the Prem/LE you wouldn't know what you are wasting extra money on though, but if you want the best experience then Pro all the way!

No idea what you mean - there are 4 major GAMEPLAY differences between the two. The most minor is the captive ball. Then you have the moving center ramp, which changes shot flow and where balls return from. You have the sarcophagus lock which is an entirely different shot from the pro. (And moves), and you have the totally-missing-from-the-pro “can I play with madness” mode. That’s major stuff. You might say GOT had a big difference with it’s upper PF, but play it a few times, it doesn’t change the overall game really. Same with AC/DC and the lower PF. But the games are basically the same.

#3674 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

1. A captive ball that makes the power jackpot way easier to collect by mistake. I'm already trying to avoid collecting it, to build the value up. Would not want this.
2. Both balls end up at the lower RF every time. Same gameplay.
3. Both versions have the left ramp and captive ball shots in the same places. Some additional strategy is gained for Mummy multiball here, which is IMO the one significant difference in gameplay.
4. Keith Elwin disables 'can i play with madness' mode and prefers the Pro award, +15M to power jackpot. Nuff said.
I know prem owners must defend their extra spending, but in reality, the prem has a slightly different way to approach Mummy multiball, which is pretty cool, and that's about it. Everything else is very similar on both versions.
Watching the Prem/LE at INDISC on the weekend, it was very obvious that the strategy of the players was the exact same as when they play the Pro. The Pro has been used at many tournaments recently, so there is plenty of video evidence available to show that the differences do not greatly affect how this game is played.

Can’t say I agree, but who cares really? It does seem that it would be helpful for you to spend more time on a Premium. The Prem has additional features, just like all Sterns, end of story

#3720 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I've just reading in some posting with the start of trooper multi ball where the balls won't lock even with the correct settings in 1.6. I own a pro

This does not happen on mine (Premium). IS that something specific to the Pro?

#3727 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

A small change but it makes for a much better playing experience, once the MB modes are started, there is no ball stoppage anymore. Action is fast and furious when the second ball gets auto plunged and comes flying around the loop perfectly to the upper flipper to perform 5 loops and start loop jackpot. It’s so flowy!

the balls aren't trapped by that post behind the small loop anymore

#3737 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Umm, that's what I said?

Yes. And I was reiterating. Where’s the problem?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.