(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,815 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by nickrivers
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240416_160659390.MP (resized).jpg
25d6415bd4f5ee62b5604e3e73d30ef0bdc2c8d0 (resized).jpg
72038EF4-8215-4C19-B733-688FFB33D320 (resized).jpeg
8820CDAA-4B0B-4D67-844D-8D3197E44344 (resized).jpeg
B267A7B9-3222-426E-B14A-09BCED66716E (resized).jpeg
EEEBA8AA-85EA-4EBE-9123-16F1A419FDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6704 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8552 3 years ago

After tinkering around w/making some 3D Stern JP T-Rex grills, I decided to try my hand at some IMDN 3D grills.

Initial concept:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Doing a test print now (18 hrs., ugh!)

#8554 3 years ago

Here's a pic of the ones I made for JP. Kudos to the wife's painting abilities.

#8561 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

After tinkering around w/making some 3D Stern JP T-Rex grills, I decided to try my hand at some IMDN 3D grills.
Initial concept:
[quoted image]
Doing a test print now (18 hrs., ugh!)

Updating my own post:

First pass not too bad. Need to work on the supports used during printing a little, the underside of his fists aren't the best. Wife will use it for a practice painting

#8563 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I need that, TAKE MY MONEY!!

LOL, can't sell since I used thingiverse.com files and did some editing/merging/cropping/combining - but I'll send you the files. Find a buddy w/printer and you should be good to go.

#8567 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

The model you are using looks exactly like this (including the areas about the wrists and teeth that allow you to plug in the broken chains)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3193572
Are you the original designer?
Edit: nevermind - I see you addressed that already. Would've been cool if you were the og designer.

Yep - that's the one. Didn't use all of it, just the head and the body. Boy, I wish I had those artistic abilities - I probably can't even make a square correctly in the drawing tools!

#8568 3 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Do u have a different eddie for tge other speaker?

I was just going to 'mirror' the grill for the other side. If there was more Iron Maiden figures available, I might consider doing something different for the other grill. But in general, I sort of like it symmetrical.

#8570 3 years ago
Quoted from Rik_:

I'd love the .stl for that, and if you have it, just the speaker grill. As a side note, most of the models on thingverse are licensed as such that as long as you give credit to the original designer you can sell them.
Edit: just looked, that Eddie is under a non commercial licence, so no selling

Hey Rik_, PM me your e-mail and I will send the stl. And I do have just the speaker grill too (got that from thingiverse too, but I had to alter and mod).

Not even interested in selling if I could, too much work. I'm retired - I don't want another job! Just fooling around in TinkerCad and if something interesting happens to pop out that others want - they can have the files.

1 week later
#8596 3 years ago

I posted around a week ago about a 3D printed speaker grill I've been working on. Maybe after a half a dozen failed prints I finally split it up into 3 prints...much better.

Time for the wife to paint! Still a practice print tho, but the quality is pretty much 'spot on'.

#8598 3 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

Looks cool, but won’t it ruin the sound?

I thought about that earlier and moved the powerslave mummy lower on the grill. But when I was printing it last night, I thought I had moved it down even more towards the bottom and that I might have grabbed the wrong file. The body is tilted forward maybe 20 degrees, so from around the shoulders up, that's not blocking the grill (plus it makes it look cooler).

Definitely don't want it centered up on the grill!

#8600 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I posted around a week ago about a 3D printed speaker grill I've been working on. Maybe after a half a dozen failed prints I finally split it up into 3 prints...much better.
Time for the wife to paint! Still a practice print tho, but the quality is pretty much 'spot on'.
[quoted image]

Wife's working on the paint colors.

#8603 3 years ago

Hey guys (and gals),

Wife's still working on the colors. I think I'm wearing out my welcome tho, I may have to use the darker one.

Which one do you like best w/respect to the colors? Or neither? I think I may have to get a hobby air sprayer, I kinda like the lighter one more, but if I have her try to make the 'wrapping cloth' more dirty looking (i.e. from being buried in the sand, age), then it might begin to blend in with the face.

Keep in mind we have limited painting skills. Me: zero, Wife: Pretty darn good but still learning.

Thanks for any feedback.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#8613 3 years ago
Quoted from Knackers:

So this happened tonight, blew a an o-ring at the 3 bank drop target, as a newbie my question is instead of just buying a replacement o-ring is there a kit that i should buy instead. I haven't looked on line as yet as I thought tapping the vast knowledge on Pinside could save me time and some grief, many thanks in advance, cheers.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Here's a Titan link to the IMDN pro. Obviously, I can't vouch for the database accuracy.

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/5712

I usually print the page out of the Stern manual that shows all the rubber locations/sizes and use a yellow highlighter to mark all the locations that I replace the rubbers. Sometimes I add the date too that I replaced. I keep it in the coinbox of the pin, really comes in handy when I do some maintenance.

1 month later
#8706 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Can you provide a pic of what you replaced the ball guide adjustment screw with or how you locked it down?
Thanks!

Ditto ^^

I haven't check for burrs yet, so maybe that is the first issue to check, but I'm curious what this is...

3 weeks later
#8790 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Good idea. I see what’s happening now. The last rung on the rail is raised, which causes the ball to jump off of it before the end.
So I guess I could file it down to be level, or see if Stern can provide a new rail?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just snapped a picture of mine. It looks like my horizontal bar is resting more on the wireform. Yours appears to be recessed more into the wireform.

Mine below:

Yours below:

Looking at mine at the same angle as your photo, yours is definitely attached higher in the wireform. Wonder if the vendor makes a minor notch as a guide for placement when constructing, and whoever made the notch got a little carried away.

#8795 2 years ago

Wonder if you could place a metal dowel (or a socket?) in a vise, and use a hammer to help shape the wifeform brace around the metal dowel (making it concave)?

Might be a little cleaner than just using a hammer. Looking at the pictures, he might only need ~0.05" - 0.07" at the center.

Just a WAG on my end.

#8799 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Remove the wire form and sit the problem wire perpendicular across a vice that is open as wide as the support rails holding the problem wire in place. Use any kind of blunt punch to smack a bend into the problem wire.
Add protection (shop towel) to the vice and the punch to avoid scratching the chrome.
This is a 15-20 minute job.
Using a file is not good advice.

Combining my earlier comment (using a socket) with yours: Perhaps set it across the opening of a vise to to support the rails like you mentioned, then place a socket on the horizontal part that need bent down. Couple of taps w/a hammer on the socket should give a nice concave shape in the center. I think that might do it and look nice.

#8815 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maybe check the gap between the bottom of the flipper and the top of the flipper bushing to make sure it's not binding and the weight of the ball makes it so it can't get all the way up. The confusing part is you can free-flip and the flipper fully extends if there's no ball on it. It only gimps out if there's the weight of the ball on it. Makes me think there's binding of the bushing, coil sleeve, or coil stop.

Maybe the EOS switch is inadvertently open, keeping it in low power mode. Just a WAG.

#8819 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There should be a technician error on the service menu for something like that, though.

Good point PinMonk. I was thinking EOS was implemented entirely at the flipper. So I lifted my IMDN PF, and the EOS indeed does head off somewhere.

So the OP should do a EOS switch test in the service menu, as you suggested.

#8821 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on the rail. I got the lip removed and it’s working perfectly.

Same here. I finally took a small file to mine. Barely had a lip on the rail, but 6 out of 6 shots were OK afterwards. 3 plunges and 3 autofire.

Case closed, hopefully.

Thanks to all those that commented on the rail.

1 week later
#8851 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I can’t believe sometimes when a small part drops how it disappears into thin air.I dropped the auto plunge spring .Can’t find it anywhere and not wasting anymore time looking .Does anyone know if it’s a common spring I can pick up at the hardware store or is it something i need to order ?

Looking at your lineup, you have a Deadpool. Just take that spring to the hardware store and see if you can find something similar.

#8871 2 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPapaBear:

...Have always wanted to own a pinball table, and back in October that dream became a reality when I purchased my first table Iron Maiden Premium...

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Welcome & Congrats! What an awesome 1st pin.

I was thinking the same - great 1st pin!

#8881 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Hardware store had them ,I just had to clip it .Ist game after full shop and it played unreal .Was a mummy card away from my first beast battle :(Maybe tonight will be the night !
[quoted image]

Wow, maybe I should get that spring too!

#8902 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I'm running into what seems like a common issue plaguing these machines: the plunge and auto plunge do not consistently go around the loop. In my case, it shoots high and normally clips the tip of the upper left flipper. I have combed through the forums to capture what adjustments folks have made. After observing what's going on with my machine, I would appreciate whatever guidance you all can provide on the best things to try:
1) I first thought about adjusting the end of the shooter lane using that screw adjustment underneath the plastic. Well, it's already adjusted all the way to the left which is how I would adjust it since it's shooting high. If I can't push it further left than this adjustment is likely not going to solve my problem
2) I have already adjusted the upper left flipper a little further up and it is aligned just above the alignment hole..don't think this is the culprit
3) I noticed that ball doesn't sit perfectly centered at rest in the autoplunger...the left fork/arm may need to be bent a bit out so I'll do that
4) I noticed that the manual plunger may not be hitting the ball perfectly centered so I can look to adjust that
5) I will look at the level and pitch again, but pretty sure I'm level and at 7.0
6) I've lowered the trough eject power to test the theory on whether the ball isn't sitting centered before the auto plunge fires...hasn't worked. What number to folks lower this to
7) I have tried to lower the auto plunge power, but that doesn't really work since the plunge needs enough power to circle around the loop if it clears
What else can I try?
Thanks!

I had the same problem, then I saw the post about the end of the shooter lane metal getting a small lip from the ball hitting it. Removed the glass, ran my nail across it and felt a very subtle lip on the metal - almost nothing. Went to Wallymart and got some small files, cleaned up the edge with a few swipes... Not kidding, it's been 100% for a month. Not a single rejected shot.

#8918 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Sometimes the opposite happens. Mine was working semi reliably until I waxed the playfield and then it started missing all the time. Frustrating!
I had seen posts about filing the end of the the shooter lane rail (near the upper right flipper), and decided to check if I had a burr on mine. I did, but it was very minor (almost couldn't feel it), but decided to file it smooth anyway. Guess what - now my auto-plunge is working perfectly! I need to give it a few more plays but made it through a couple of games, Aces High, Trooper, etc and didn't have a single miss.
It can't hurt to file yours down - at least to reduce another bit of randomness in the plunge.

Ditto ^^

I already recently mentioned that a couple of swipes of a small file fixed mine.

I should add I tinkered with the settings, waxed the PF, checked leveling, checked the plunger bracket mounting etc. Nothing helped and I had a LOT of failed shots from the shooter lane.

The lip on the end of the rail was almost non-existent, I could just barely feel it - to the point I thought "Nope, that won't make any difference." Just played the pin some more tonight. Still not a single missed plunged or w/a auto launch for the past month since cleaning up the edge of the metal rail w/a file.

#8925 2 years ago
Quoted from captaindorky:

Hoping for some assistance regarding a sound issue. The other night I finished up a game and something happened with the sound. The volume decreased and now a constant tapping noise is coming out of the left and right speaker. I've checked all connections and the annoying tapping noise remains.
Any thoughts?

Place you finger on the circled chip and see if it's hot when it's acting up.

I have a Munsters that if I shut it off, and turn it back on after it was on for awhile, the woofer audio amp gets hot. No audio then. Getting ready to replace the audio IC.

#8927 2 years ago

I will check that chip - but it isn't 'acting up'. It's constantly making that sound after the machine boots up.

Sorry for a short post, I should have elaborated a bit more but was busy.

I saw a youtube video that when the audio goes screwy, the gent had traced it down to the woofer audio IC getting hot. Can't recall his specific audio problem. Even tho it's the woofer audio chip, it also messed up the backbox audio too (different chip). So maybe it was pulling down the supply voltage (just a WAG) or caused other problems.

So just a simple check by putting your finger on the chip might help pinpoint the problem.

#8928 2 years ago

Also, are all your power LED's lit?

Looking at the video, I think so. Just a little hard to be sure.

#8959 2 years ago

Update per Stern - "Based on your video, it seems that your CPU is faulty and will need to be replaced.
Please contact your distributor and they will be able to assist you with a replacement part.
Part number is as follows: 509-1003-01 / SPIKE 2 CPU"
Sigh - looks like I'll be shelling out money for this board. Pretty shocking when you consider the game has been lightly played/HUO. I purchased this machine from a private party with about 100 plays on it when they decided to upgrade to an LE.

Just as a follow up, did you ever check to see if the woofer audio amp chip was hot?

My Munsters has a problem with that chip (getting ready to replace it), another Pinsider had the same problem w/his Munsters, and I mentioned I saw the youtube video with a gent who replaced his woofer audio chip after noticing is was very toasty (pin would boot up, but had audio issues). So I was just curious if yours had the same problem or something different.

Sidebar comment. Wonder why Stern sells the entire 'CPU board' since the actual CPU is on a carrier. Would be nice if you could send it in and let Stern figure out is it's the carrier board, the CPU, or both. I'm sure they have a tester.

#8962 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

Dam, it looks like that version of the board is $999.00 bucks at Pinball life, that's ridiculous!

Stern lowered the price awhile ago. Not sure what vendor's do about old stock when there's a price reduction.

#8971 2 years ago

I just sent the board off for repair today. Thankful that we have folks out there that do this versus having to purchase a new board at what seems to be at crazy high prices.

Let us know what he finds out.

1 week later
#9029 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Do you all run into issues with the auto plunge hitting the upper left flipper on the way around? Seems I’m getting it about 10-20% of the time. Doesn’t really bother me. Upper flipper is tight, but might be a little droopy?
[quoted image]

Take a look at post 8797 (and others following it). The end of the metal guide in the shooter lane gets mushroomed a bit. I could barely feel it on mine, but after taking a hobby file to it - hasn't missed a single shot up thru the inner loop.

4 weeks later
#9172 2 years ago
Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

Just got the call that my pro is shipping. I ordered back in May. Got all my Day 1 parts together!
[quoted image]

What are these? Floor protectors?

And congrats!

4 weeks later
#9520 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

So the sound when you hit the flipper is the sound from the " Power ball" Clairvoyant ball? One on the bottom left. I pulled back the leaf so it's not touching anymore. Anymore than what I did it will not register a hit. Also when I hit it with my finger during the test the ball gets stuck in a forward position a lot and that SQUARE ( pictured ) during the switch test stays on. Sometimes it stays on even if the ball isn't stuck like that. Some games it happens other times it just starts happening randomly.
[quoted image]

You can maybe try putting a piece of tape, business card, or some other insulator across the suspect switch contacts (if it is 'normally open') and see if it solves the issue when you play a game. Like @craif, I have a Pro, so don't know how easy it is to try that on a Prem. That might be a little easier than tinkering with a bunch of switches to isolate the culprit. When you find it, then you can gap it correctly.

#9554 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

After looking the ramp over I’ve noticed that the last horizontal support, which attaches the ramp to the sling post is welded up into the path of the ball. The ball will hit the top of the horizontal piece seen at the orange arrow. The yellow circle shows how much higher the horizontal is welded vs the blue circle which shows the horizontal under the main wire form like it should be.
Have I outlined this properly so that it makes sense? Is this how it is on other machines? The ball does hit this horizontal piece on the right ramp but a lot less which is why I get far less balls falling off the right ramp. It appears I will have to dremel down the middle of the wire form so the ball clears this section. Any thoughts?

I posted a number of pages ago about this. The gent's (who was having a similar problem) welds seemed to be a lot higher up in the wire form than mine. I snapped a picture showing the difference between his and mine. Very noticeable, his being a lot higher. About the same as others posted recently.

Edit: Look at post 8790

#9555 2 years ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Does anyone know where I can buy some of the small model planes for the right side of a playfield? Thanks

If you are a DIY kinda person...I got a model at Hobby Lobby that should be the right size (same as others in this thread), but haven't put it together yet - will be a winter project. $20 Painting will be my biggest challenge, no artistic abilities.

#9599 2 years ago
Quoted from Chet_Hardbody:

Alright so 1 day in of IMD ownership. Only 1 complaint (and mind you I've never owned a modern stern) - the speaker on the pro is just awful. If you turn the volume past like 8, I start to get shitty reverb. Other than that, awesome machine thus far.

Active sub might help - huge improvement audio-wise regardless.

#9636 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

New owner here and I have a question, my flipper power seems like it is on steroids compared to a friend of mines imdn. Is there a setting I don't know of that I should adjust? When I shoot up the center ramp it bounces off at times like a tennis ball against a wall.

It's in the Feature Adjustments. Starts at #57 on my Pro w/latest code.

#9638 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Thanks. What's the ideal/best setting that you or others use?

All the flippers are set at default, but the pin is set up rather steep. The bubble is almost in the middle of the top line.

3 weeks later
#9827 2 years ago

Approx. 3 months ago I posted regarding my CPU being faulty per Stern and it will need to be replaced. Part number is as follows: 509-1003-01 / SPIKE 2 CPU"
Anybody know where these can be found? I've searched all the usual places including Stern themselves and it is OOS.
Frustrated. How the heck do operators make this work if a board goes bad and there is little to no availability of replacements? My machine is HUO and low plays. Out of nowhere experienced a sound issue where the audio became muffled and distorted and I was told the board had gone bad.

Might be the audio IC(s). My Munsters is doing sort of the same thing. There's even a YouTube video out there somewhere showing the gent replacing the chip. And Ben Heck mentioned not long (in the Deeproot thread) he might do a video on the chip swapping for the same audio reason.

A couple of things to try to chase down the problem: 1) Put your finger on one of the two audio chips (careful, might be toasty if bad). 2) My Munsters is a little different. Turn it on - audio is fine. Wait for it to warn up, turn it off and wait a bit, then back on - audio is muted and woofer chip is hot. Is you pin doing any of these?

I bought the replacement IC awhile ago and plan on swapping out this winter. A person would need a hot air gun, not just a soldering iron since there's a thermal pad on the bottom of the chip. So maybe not a repair for a person not experienced w/soldering.

Any chance you are running an external woofer on the pin?

Just tossing this out to help maybe shed a little light on your end.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9837 2 years ago
Quoted from ZodiacMunch:

I think the post right before yours summarizes potential solutions to plunger issues, although some of them are auto-plunger too. I got a NIB Pro yesterday and I have the same problem. Auto plunger mostly fine, manual plunger very low percentage of reaching the loop. The Stern adjustment definitely made it significantly better, but it still isn't as reliable as I'd want. I'll probably try to bend it more this weekend and tinker with it.

I had the same problem, but the the auto plunge would sometimes make it - leading me to believe it was the shooter rod. Tried to adjust both the shooter rod and rail - not much luck. I read the comments about the burr at the end of the rail guide. I checked mine and I could barely make out a burr. Almost nonexistent, but I took a hobby file and gave it a couple swipes anyway. Nah - that won't make a bit of difference...wrong! Been perfect auto and manual plunges for maybe 6 months. Seriously, 100% perfect, not a single miss (I would spot that immediately).

So while you might end up needing to adjust the rail or shooter rod in the end, give the end of the rail a quick swipe or two first with a file since it only takes seconds.

Hope the file works!

#9859 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

where u order springs from? Pinball life?

Marco's has an assortment which is nice.

2 weeks later
#10100 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

For what it is worth, my pro from May 2018 has the metal protector plate installed. It is starting to curl up after repeated impacts from balls dropping onto it. No hang ups so far.[quoted image]

Weird, my Pro June 2018 build doesn't have it. You buy it new, or did the a prior owner install?

#10102 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Based on how inconsistent parts are in these machines I have a feeling that Stern sometimes runs out of things and substitutes parts or, in this case, ships without it.
It's a warranty item though, contact them and they'll give you one.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

#10119 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I think I will be upgrading speakers too.
What is the best and cheap an audiophile can have.
Speakers are not expensive, I am sure there is a really good diy alternative already posted here.

Try: partsexpress.com

#10160 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I decided to take off the right wireform to find where it was making the ball shoot off and I think I got it.
However I was left with this spacer when I put it back together. It's not the one from the front where the nut is, I thought it came from the phillips screw that holds it down but it's not from there either because the screw isn't long enough. Anyone know if it's from the wireform assembly at all?
[quoted image]

Right here, under the rail:

#10165 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

...Not from this area either, that one is still there.

My bad, forgot you mentioned that when I was looking. I realize you didn't do anything on the left side, but there's one in the same spot too. Might want to check if it's really still there or not.

#10170 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

I am the second owner. It was on location for a while by one of the NZ operators. May be this was an option for operators?
Skippy2904

After reading about the issues w/the Stern protector bending up, I'm actually on the fence whether I should or should not install the Stern protector, put a Cliffy there instead (don't like the carbon fiber look), or just leave alone since I just play 3-4 rounds a week. I bought mine used, but it was pretty much new with about 60 games on it. Still looks brand new.

#10173 2 years ago

I have installed mylar after the protector when the ball lands after the big loop, after 550 games, the ball is slowly making a really nice and even orange peel (like all games do yes including Williams games ) but I noticed the ball trails were going to be problematic here so instead of waiting for making maintenance 100 times more difficult in 500 games more, I just added mylar here and then -IF/WHEN- I feel like taking off the mylar and put new one is much easier than dealing with a difficult ball trail on the bend.
Love mylar! photos below, first one is with a little template I made and second with mylar installed. I do this to all my games when orbit have big drops or high speed orbits. It prevents wear by almost 100% I think and makes maintenance a breeze.
I clean and wax my games immediately after ball trails are visible.
So all that to say...
putting a protector back thee is a no brainer. get whatever it does not matter but it is always better to do something sooner rather than later. Putting a protector later when the area is mangled up will be harder as the PF will not be flat anymore and the metal + glue might not adhere as well.
If you are concerned about installing this, the 3m tape I recommended earlier comes off in seconds with isopropyl alcohol.

Come to think of it, I do have some static cling mylar, @pin_fandango, I think I'll give that a try first and see if it scoots around. Hopefully, the surface area is big enough that it stays in place. I'm rather pretty picky about the pins, I'd hate to glue down a metal protector just to have it turn into two problems (metal bending, glue potentially damaging the artwork if removed). I'll look up your earlier post about which mylar you used too.

Thanks for the template tips, that's a good idea. Then just toss it in the coin box if needed again.

#10176 2 years ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

I put the Cliffy Carbon Fiber protector on a couple of hundred plays ago and FWIW I don’t see it and have had zero problems since installing it. Completely out of sight and out of mind.

Yeah, I admit my OCD is kicking in. I just hate to cover up nice looking artwork (even tho that area barely has any artwork).

#10194 2 years ago

I am getting a microscope for some upcoming soldering I will be doing soon (building some PIN2DMD screens for myself) but I think these spike board are a step forward when it comes to components size. Some of the resistors are tiny.

Some of the low power engineers I worked with were going down to a '01005' SMD part size, meaning 0.01" x 0.005". Crazy small, like a spec of dust to my old eyes. Luckily, I did the RF power - bigger parts!

#10213 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yeah I don't see myself buying the kit for my Sterns but will definitely scan in on location.

Have they released the price of the upgrade kit yet?

#10229 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I finally got a decent video of the air ball. It looks like the ball is going along the outside rail, kicking up onto the left rail and then out. Not sure how to fix that one. I guess I'll just wait for the new ones to arrive.
https://gfycat.com/glossyremotekronosaurus

What's the pitch set at?

#10231 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Your wireform is bent. Pay particular attention to the area in red.

It might even be the right side, up by the bend. The ball heads to the left side on the way down. Wonder if the rail is tilted side-to-side?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10233 2 years ago

Wonder if the right rail has the same problem as some of the left rails: The side-to-side supports being notched into the wireform too deep, causing the ball to hit them and go airborne. The ball looks like it's out of whack coming out of the upper bend.

#10234 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check them all.
Pitch is around 7 degrees, maybe a tad more. The top of the bubble is just over the line on the level.

Mind shooting a closeup picture of that upper bend?

#10237 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

...I would shoot another video with a higher frame rate to try and see it better but Stern is already sending me replacements so I've held off on putting too much effort into figuring it out...

Yeah, don't blame you. But definitely compare that area to the new part when you get it and let us know if you spot anything.

#10252 2 years ago
Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

Wondering who else bought this pin but didn’t like or didn’t think they liked Iron Maiden music and then it grew on them? Been listening to them on Spotify, love the damn game so much that I think I might now love the music too.

Never head of the band. Figured it would grow on me, and ended being perfect for a high energy pin. Wife definitely didn't like the music, but warmed up to some of the songs.

Can't say I'd ever buy their albums tho.

2 weeks later
#10416 2 years ago

Following up on an issue that is finally resolved after almost 5 months of waiting. Yes - 5 MONTHS.
Apparently my Spike CPU board amplifiers were shot and the board required repair. I was informed that those parts were currently unavailable - so I'd have to wait until possibly 2022 or go for a board swap...

What was up w/the audio amp? I'm getting ready to swap out the audio chip for the woofer on my Munsters, just curious what you experienced.

#10420 2 years ago

The audio went to sh**. It was all muffled and essentially useless.
The game played fine but the audio was jacked up. I sent video to Stern and a distributor and was told my CPU board was to blame. 5 months later, massive frustration and about $300 later, I hopefully will get a functional board back that works.
Apparently these boards are in short supply. I've already been contacted by somebody asking me to send my bad board to them so they can harvest parts off my bad board to fix other boards. I was told amplifiers for the board are not available. Really? This is the best Stern can do?
I'm done. I can send my Williams/Bally boards in for repair and it is a quick fix (kudos Hibler). These Stern boards? Good luck. It sucks. My machine is going for sale as soon as it is functional again. 5 freaking months. Unacceptable.

My Munsters audio is fine when first turned on. If once warmed up and I shut the pin off, then on again (after waiting a bit), the woofer chip (TPA3123D2PWP) would get very hot and the bass was pretty much gone. Wait awhile...fine again. So I ordered a replacement chip from digi-key last summer for ~$8. Getting ready to finally install.

Whoever mentioned you can't get parts appears to be correct. No stock at Digi-Key, Arrow, Newark, etc. and looks like it won't be in stock until 2/22. 7 in stock at Mouser. Yikes!

I was even going to hit you up about buying the old board just to have, before you mentioned some already pinged you about that!

#10434 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Such a shame... I think this is one of the best machines ever made, but I have to say if mine was out of action for 5 months, I'd be p*ssed to the point of getting rid of it too.
All for the sake of a new board - that's incredibly poor service. Unfortunately this seems to be the way its going at the moment - all the emphasis seems to be getting thousands of orders for new machines, never mind when they can actually get made or availability of spare parts etc.

I kind of wish Stern could have some sort refurbish program. Send in your broken board (CPU or Node), get a refurbish board in return at a lower cost. They fix your board and use it for another return. Shame to waste an entire CPU board because of a failed audio amp chip. Node boards are fairly cheap, so those might not be cost effective to do a refurb.

Other option would be to sell the Spike 2 board w/o the CPU daughter card. I guess that could get messy if someone misdiagnoses whether it's the actual CPU board or the main board the CPU sets on.

#10441 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Pretty sure it's just that soldering these micro components is a lot harder than the normal soldering most of us can do. And with a lot of these boards being layered a screwup can kill them way easier than the older PCBs that had through-hole components and you could like re-drill vias and stuff.
I am pretty good at soldering but the one time I tried to solder something small like on these boards I killed it. Seems like a lot of component level repair on boards with tiny parts like this involves some special equipment like the microscope, hot air station etc.
Based on the stuff I see Louis Rossmann do we could all learn how to do it but I don't know if the average person has the patience or equipment to do it compared to macro size soldering. he does courses though, if anyone is in new york go learn from him and start providing the service to the community!
Also diagnosing without schematics can be pretty hard. Do Stern provide schematics for repair?

Electrical engineer here (old fart, recently retired, RF not pinball tho!). SMD really isn't that hard, used it for +30 years because of the electrical performance benefits. I prefer it actually for most cases. Super easy for resistors, caps, etc. The IC's that have bent leads on the sides (called 'gull wing') aren't bad either. Two irons help, and it's pretty easy to just glob solder across all the leads until all the solder is melted and lift the part off. Clean up the excess solder with solder wick. Clean up old flux with IPA. Position the new part, tack solder a couple of leads at the corners to hold it in place, then solder the rest. Inspect for excessive solder/shorts (solder wick helps). I'd rather change one of those than a thru hole any day. Thin solder and a small soldering iron tip helps, but I just use a standard pencil tip.

Granted, some parts can be more of a PIA than others. The audio issue that captaindorky mentioned earlier? - Likely the audio amp IC. That part would be an exception since there's a thermal pad on the bottom of the IC that solders to a pad on the board to help dissipate the heat. Since it's hidden, that pretty much requires a hot air gun (and/or heat on the back side of the board). Not insurmountable, but you definitely need to be careful not to unsolder (and blow away) every other part surrounding that audio chip. Some heat on the back of the board helps to 'preheat' things too. What I use to do in my designs (and what Stern should have done) is bring out some of the copper from under the part. That allows a person to place an iron on the thermal pad to safely preheat the thermal pad under the IC, making the chip removal a lot easier.

If anyone is interested, Amazon has some SMD practice boards for less than $10. Easier to muck one of those up rather than a Spike 2 CPU or node board.

If an old man like me can do it, you guys (and gals) can too. A cheap head visor (magnifier) really helps too.

#10445 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Speaking of tiny components, I just found this in my cabinet. Does anyone know what it is? It's very small, looks almost like an LED or something.
I couldn't get a very clear picture but it's a tiny white square with an opaque circle in the middle and a tiny chip looking thing on the opaque part. Flipper linkage for scale in the picture.
[quoted image]
Also got some new flipper linkages and they came with a small metal plug to make the hole in the bushing the right size and probably prevent stretching. My current ones don't have this, but it seems like it's key to keeping this part from wearing out.

Go into bulb test and see if any don't light. Does look like a LED at first glance...

#10450 2 years ago

yes I did try replacing with comets at first and it seemed to improve but the flickering came back. it has been perfect since adjusting all the sockets to a nice fit around the bulb, no wiggle = no flicker, wiggle inside the socket = flicker.
Adding solder at the bottom, can arguably improve conductivity but ultimately it is making the base thicker, which compresses the spring more and creates more tension, which is good, more tension = less wiggle = less flickering? More than 1 way to skin a cat I guess. Don't like to spend a lot of time soldering under the PF. A splatter can introduce a short turning it into a node board nightmare. Very common when GI shorts happen and finding a GI short is a pain in the A$$.
Adjusting the socket seems to works for me, lol, I am lazy.
If they issues come back, I think I will just replace the bad sockets.

Perhaps a dab of solder on the side of the bulb might help? Easier to try than replacing a socket?

#10454 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Just got my Pingraffix halographic pinblades. Any tips to easily install these? No instructions.
[quoted image]

I use RapidTac to make install easier. Some people use water plus a bit of dish soap (don't recall the ratio). Both allows for easier repositioning the decal if needed. I usually have the wifey help. Another set of hands isn't mandatory, but makes it easier.

https://rapidtac.com/

There's some youtube videos out there too you can watch.

#10456 2 years ago

no I think they kept the schematics to themselves...

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Stern now published schematics on their website.

Adding to Tranquilize's post: https://sternpinball.com/support/ (scroll down)

#10460 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I get the water or rapidtac to help position the decals but should the playfield be all the way up and resting on the head or just sitting on the service rails? Maybe start with the playfield on the service rails to position the back part and then raise the playfield to get the front?

I have the PF up in the service position. One thing I keep a sharp eye on is the gap between the top of the decal and bottom of the plastic that supports the glass. That's sort of my 'reference' line. Been awhile since I installed some decals, but I sort of recall leaving about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap.

With the PF up in the air, it gets a little tricky around where the PF is sticking up, but the RapidTac or soap/water really helps. Install the front half, then very gently pull on the back half to take out the slack and lightly press in place, keeping that reference line straight. The biggest issue would be an air bubble that you just can't work out, but again - the RapidTac lets you lift some of the decal off and reposition. You can use a clean credit card to chase out the bubbles. You can get small squeegees at Dollar Tree that might work great (haven't done that yet, but I will on the next decal install - looks to be the perfect size). Lower the PF some from vertical and check the area that was inaccessible when the PF was lifted. One final going over w/microfiber and you're done.

The decals I've installed were from TiltGraphics - and those I had to trim off excess at the back of the cabinet. No biggie since that area is usually hard to see anyways. And there's no hole cutout for the backbox hinge. One thing I always to is do a test fit, holding the decal in place with the painters tape.

Almost forgot - get a set of art blade protectors so you don't damage the decals when raising/lowering the PF.

Others might install differently, this is just sort of the routine I use. Sometimes I'm 'once and done', other times I might have to tinker with it 3-4 times.

#10473 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I need some pinside magic here. Spent about two hours and no luck.
I know the plunger issues (manual and auto) are well documented here but I can't seem to find the solution. My Pro has been perfect on both until I recently changed the armor. I ended up removing the plunger frame (to replace black to to red) but now the manual and automatic plunger don't work.
The ball hits that middle post (right before the upper loop) almost every time. Occasionally it will work for some reason.
I have tried to loosen the bolts and move it around but no luck. The ball is being struck clean and right in the center. If I life the game and make it much more flat (like 2 degrees), it works every time.
Any thoughts?
Video below. I also installed the old plate and no luck.

Did you check for a small lip at the end the ball guide? I had one, almost didn't even feel it. Took a small flat file (Walmart) and made a quick couple of passes thinking it wouldn't help, but wouldn't hurt anything either - been 100% good on launches since. Honestly thought it wouldn't make any difference, but like others experienced - problem solved. No kidding, haven't had a single bad launch (manual or auto) since.

Might not be the problem, but so simple to do, might as well give it a try.

#10489 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks this seems like good advice, I really do need to play more machines.
Maybe I just needed a pep talk though because I just played 5 really great games back to back and got a new mummy ball high score. It wasn't great but I almost got the second added ball which I've never come close to.
Nudging any time it's around the slings seems to help settle it down so I'm just going crazy with the nudging when it's floating around the bottom.

I've had a Pro for well over a year...I've never even hit the 350 mil you've gotten! LOL No biggie, I tend to learn the rules as I go along. I tried to watch some of the YouTube videos on the IMDN rules - but good heaven, some are hours long. My eyes roll back in my eye sockets after about 20 min.

1 month later
#10905 2 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Anyone have a good source for the clear lower right in/outlane plastic. Mine broke in two places and Bondic will only last so long. This plastic is surprisingly flimsy for all the holes it has drilled in it and for as much abuse as it takes.
[quoted image]

Quoted from metallik:

That part should be metal...[quoted image]

Take a look in the cabinet, maybe the originals are hiding in there?

1 week later
#10989 2 years ago
Quoted from STVPIN:

Stylin'...[quoted image]

Where did you get the figure on the speaker?

#10993 2 years ago
Quoted from STVPIN:

Search "neca powerslave"

Thanks, I was just curious. I 3D printed some of my own about a year ago. Did the same for JP.

3 weeks later
#11119 2 years ago
Quoted from Hasse:

I was really helped by an advice earlier in this thread. The metal guide under the upper right flipper gets hit by the balls and there may be an edge after a while. Use a file to remove it. It helped me and the plunge is now 100% accurate.

Ditto above 100%. Could barely feel a lip, almost nothing. I thought "That won't help."

A couple of swipes w/a hobby fine... 100% since. Not kidding, it made such a difference.

#11150 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

They should have an achievement for this as part of connect. Lowest scoring game possible.

It would be easier if they just programmed the pin's default low score champion with my initials.

#11181 2 years ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

How is everyone’s auto-plunge around the orbit today?
Good.
Goood[quoted image]

Been 100% for ages since I took a couple of swipes w/a small file to the ball guide end.

#11189 2 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

...I’ve never done any soldering before

Please dont practice on your pinball.
Use anything electronic, cheap, lying around and practice there.
Also, do not buy a cheap soldering iron unless you like to suffer and produce mediocre joints.
A good tip and a good iron makes the job 100% easy and produce better joints. Bettee joint=Less resistance, less resistance, more reliability, etc.
Watch the channel “solder fix” on you tube.
Good luck

Get something like this to practice on (it will give you some PWB experience if needed later). Or just grab a couple of wires and have at it. Don't get the lead free solder - melts at a higher temp, get it w/lead (i.e. 60/40) and rosin that is electronics safe.

#11211 2 years ago
Quoted from medeski7:

Noob question. I bought my IMDN Pro used about a year ago. It's my first pin. I believe it has transparent Titan rubbers on the slingshots and elsewhere. The flippers appear to have black rubber. One of the flipper rubbers is starting to tear and I need to replace it. Is the best practice to replace all rubber parts at the same time, just flippers or just the damaged rubber? Also, is it better to buy rubbers as a kit or separately?

I usually print the page out of the manual that shows the rubber locations and sizes. Then when I start replacing, I jot when I replaced them. If some are fine, I don't replace them, but usually rotate them to get some fresh rubber in the spots that gets hit the most. Other times I just want to replace the sling rubbers w/translucent or maybe switch up the flipper rubbers w/some different colors. So if I decide to go in and do a full swap to Titans later (helps keep the PF clean), I know exactly what's original and what's been swapped. Plus I usually order a bunch of extra small rings since they are used everywhere, but may have to order certain sizes that aren't used as much - so the sheet is a good reminder. I just keep that sheet in the coin box. It really does come in handy and is easy to do since I have to look at the sheet anyways to see what fits where.

IMDN really doesn't have as many rubbers as some pins. Titans on all my pins with the exception of some Super-Bands on the GB flippers.

#11214 2 years ago
Quoted from medeski7:

Do you have a place you recommend ordering from? Thank you for the response.

https://www.titanpinball.com/

Just in case you didn't know, these aren't rubber - they're silicone. Won't flake like rubber.

#11216 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

Practice on some paper clips, you should have some laying around the house, it's cheap and easy to Practice soldering them together. Also get some Flux, it helps the soldier flow, and stick better.

Just to add to your comment: Electronic safe flux. Definitely don't use plumbers flux!

And skip the lead free solder - has a higher melting point compared to some 60/40 solder. 60/40 solder w/rosin will be a lot easier to work with, especially for a beginner.

#11218 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

As long as you don't want your testicles to work properly, get the lead-based solder...

So lead based solder can be used as birth control?

#11221 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

In my very limited experience, soldering is only tricky when you have lousy equipment. If you have a good iron, decent solder and a bit of patience anything is within reach of the average hobbyist (ie, me).

Here's a link to a pdf Kester put out discussing lead free solder https://www.kester.com/Portals/0/Documents/Knowledge%20Base/Lead-free-Handsoldering.Final_.4.19.06.pdf

#11224 2 years ago

Maybe revise your soldering techniques?
Grew up in a shop and playing with solder since 8 years old. I am also tested for lead content in blood due to other hobbies yearly or bi-yearly.
No lead content in my blood.
switching to lead free is due to other regulations, particularly electronics that become obsolete in a short period of time, cant be recycled and therefore contaminating landfills with lead.
Lead solder is absolutely safe unless you are eating chips and licking your fingers while soldering.
Use common sense.
There is absolutely zero need to use lead free solder in anything pinball related unless you like to make your life more difficult for no reason.

There's not even lead in the solder fumes. The solder isn't hot enough. Or if there is, try not using an oxyacetylene torch for soldering.

Maybe you haven't heard of this, but there seems to be a correlation between dendrites (sort of like conductive hairs that grow out of a trace, pad, etc.) and lead free solder (i.e. mostly tin). Sometimes that's referred to as tin whiskers, but that might be a misnomer. Seems like the jury's still out on the root cause or if it's really the high tin content to blame, so take the lead-free solder comment w/a grain of salt. Takes years (or decades) to show up, but they can grow several mm. Doesn't seem to be a problem with 60/40 solder (which apparently makes you sterile and/or the babies turn into a zombies).

I've often wondered if the dendrites would be problem decades from now, given how long people keep the pins working. The close traces on some of the IC pads would likely be the first place it shows up.

I designed things for the military (retired now), and they've stayed w/lead solder, given our boards might be used for many decades. Talking to the failure analysis engr at work (a close coworker), it didn't take much lead to mitigate this issue w/solder - only a few percent if I recall correctly. Not sure if solder mask helps minimize this issue.

Sorry of the IMDN thread solder derail!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.50
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.