(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,842 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 498 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9160 2 years ago

Hi guys. Finally joined the club this weekend and added a pro to the basement! One quick question, should be mummy newton ball be slightly loose? Every newton ball I have encountered before has been solid tight to the playfield and didn't move at all. This one has a tiny bit of movement. I figured no problem, I would just snug it up, but the nut is all the way to where the threads stop, making me think the slight bit of slop is intentional. Should it be sloppy, or should I add a few washers under the nut to snug it up?

#9163 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

For some reason i'm having a hard time finding these at PBL. Haven't been on there in quite some time, but shopped there plenty. Part #?

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

98% sure these are the ones..

#9180 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Hi guys. Finally joined the club this weekend and added a pro to the basement! One quick question, should be mummy newton ball be slightly loose? Every newton ball I have encountered before has been solid tight to the playfield and didn't move at all. This one has a tiny bit of movement. I figured no problem, I would just snug it up, but the nut is all the way to where the threads stop, making me think the slight bit of slop is intentional. Should it be sloppy, or should I add a few washers under the nut to snug it up?

Bump..could someone please go poke their pro newton ball and see if it's mounted solid or loose? Thanks!

#9207 2 years ago

Can any one help clarify or help with the Super Skill Shot? My understanding is you plunge just strong enough to roll back to the upper left flipper, then shoot the super jackpot target. I have read conflicting info whether or not you need to hold the left flipper button while doing this. Mine will not register it either way. I have also tried the MXV, hitting the inner loop before the SJ target, and no go there either. Every other skill shot seems to work, and all switches test fine. I have done it manually, so I know I am not missing or hitting anything else between the orbit entry opto and the SJ target. I have even tried giving the spinner a small spin between in case it needs that to register that it fed the upper left flipper. Nothing seems to trigger the Super Skill Shot. By any chance was it removed from the latest code? I reset factory settings after I got the machine, and I have have gone through the options, without finding anything that would turn it off.

Regular skill shot works, plunge to outlane or inlane works, the left flipper up full plunge to orb works, etc. But no SSS. Any help with this mystery is appreciated. Thanks!

#9216 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If you're doing it exactly as mentioned above, you likely have an opto not seeing the ball or a switch issue triggering points before you complete the skill shot. Switch edges test mode is your friend here.

Yeah that was one of the first things I did...all clean. That said, today I dug into it again and was able to activate it. Not sure what changed. My guess is previous times with the glass off I was doing it without the left flipper being held up (based on bad info found in a post here on the various skill shots in the game). I tried quite a few times glass on with the flipper up, but my guess would be I was grazing the mummy captive ball on the way to the SJP shot. I paid closer attention today and could tell that I was doing that almost every time I thought I hit it correctly. I finally managed one without hitting the mummy ball, and sure enough it registered. Man...tough shot! Thanks for your input!

#9249 2 years ago
0830FFDD-0F48-4DA7-9F4E-6117090E812E (resized).jpeg0830FFDD-0F48-4DA7-9F4E-6117090E812E (resized).jpegD85BB682-423E-4817-98E9-99F4D33C2AE3 (resized).jpegD85BB682-423E-4817-98E9-99F4D33C2AE3 (resized).jpeg
#9253 2 years ago
Quoted from TAVsPlace:

Where did you get that sticker? Looks super cool. [quoted image]

My wife made it with her Cricut (cut vinyl). Full disclosure using artwork found online. We have made a few others, but this was by far the most intense. It was a nightmare to cut, prep, transfer, and install, but I think it was worth it!

2 weeks later
#9471 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

How accurate do you think the bubble level in the game is? I always use an angle meter right on the playfield to set the angle. When I set it at 6.5-7, the bubble on the game shows that the back is way high. If I set it so that the bubble is right in the middle, the angle meter says it’s around 6. Where do you put the angle meter on the playfield? I usually put it right in the middle. Curious to hear what everyone else is doing. Thanks

Never trust the bubbles. Waste of space and BOM cost. I usually check in various places around the playfield and kind of average it out. Middle of the pf is a good spot. Then I usually check as high up as I can, and as low as I can without removing anything. Some machines that's easier than others, but really if the middle is good, it's probably close enough you will not notice and difference.

#9473 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Every game is different. It's not precisely installed. Somebody at a factory is shooting hundred of these suckers on with a power drill 5 days a week.
Bubble is just the to see if something is really out of whack. My Mando bubble showed perfect at less than 6° ffs.
My Maiden bubble is pretty good actually.
You can get a digital level on Amazon for <$20 or download a leveling app on your phone.

One of my games had a bubble level that wouldn't have shown level unless the front was higher than the back, LOL!

#9525 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I’m sorry I’m new to this club and haven’t had the time to read through this entire thread, but has anyone had an issue with the ball hitting the end of the ramp, where it drops to the in lane, and bouncing off the ramp. When it bounces off it’s 50/50 if it drops in the outlane or in front of the slings. Any fix for this?

Mine had a nasty burr on one of the welds near the wireform exit that made a fast ball hop off. I just ground it down with a dremel, and it's been perfect since. I have had other machines where the wireform needed to be bent a little to keep the ball from flying off. It's a somewhat common problem, but can usually be fixed with a little tweaking.

#9527 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Thanks, I’ll look into that and see if that works. It happens much more on the left ramp than it does the right ramp, but can be frustrating when it drains right from the ramp.

Definitely. In my case I couldn't tell what was happening until I held the ball in my hand and ran it along that section of the wireform. Then it was very obvious and you could feel what the ball was hitting. Many times it's just a slight angle issue though, and a slight bend is needed, or even just a washer or two under a mounting point. Good thing is, wireforms are pretty easy to bend. Just be careful not to overdo it or you could pop a weld joint. Usually a little tweak can make a big difference.

1 week later
#9652 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Question:
When manually plunging full power I can make the orbit 99.9% of the time, however, the auto-plunger, which is stronger than a manual plunge in failing to make the orbit 60 to 70% of the time.
I can see the ball guide on the shooter lane can be adjusted, but before I make changes, was wondering if there is anything else I need to adjust?

If your manual plunger is 99%, I wouldn't adjust the ball guide. That's telling you that isn't the issue...plus you do not want to mess that up. I would look at the "tines" of the auto plunger. Make sure the ball is resting equally on both and when it fires it isn't pushing more one way or the other. Make sure they aren't rubbing against the manual plunger. I have also found that bending the tines in slightly is usually beneficial. Bottom line is Stern's autoplunge mechanism is full of slop and there is really nothing you can do to get it 100% all the time. Some machines are more sensitive to this slop than others. You can try adding an E-clip to the auto plunge mechanism to take up some slop, but I haven't found a huge benefit in doing that. I would also just play with the mech a little and make sure there is no binding, no loose parts, screws are tight, etc. There is a ton of info here on Pinside on adjusting Stern autoplungers if you do a search.

Good luck!

#9699 2 years ago

ok so I have been playing the game for 1 week now and wanted to know what is the general consensus about the difficulty of this game.
I am not by any means any pinball wiz but have been playing consistently for the last 10 months, pretty much daily, I think my game style improved but I can't really measure, all that to put in perspective what I am about to say. lol
How difficult do you guys find this game to be? I am consistently making 400 to 600M scores and although I have not gotten to fighting the devil I am just maybe a few days away from that if I continue playing it like this.
A typical game for me in completing cyborg, getting 2 Eddie cards, etc but I find I am getting to this point pretty organically without much strategy other than stacking maybe trooper MB with a mode (I have not found a better stack yet).
All that to say, I do not find this game very difficult at all, and at this rate I will most likely be finishing the game often.
Outlanes are wide open and pitch is 6.8 and the game plays very fast so I am thinking:
Is this game an easy game?
or is it high scoring?
or what?

You are doing good for sure, but you might be underestimating how far you have to go yet. Cyborg is definitely the "easy" mini-wizard mode. One of my favorites though. That gives you one of the cards. Trooper card I also find pretty easy. The other two cards are more difficult for me. Soldier (?) for starting 2 Minutes to Midnight is tough but doable. Mummy I actually find to be the toughest card, and is usually the one blocking me from The Beast. That might just be me though. So you need all four for Number of the Beast. But that is still only scratching the surface if you really want to finish the game, which means getting to Run to the Hills. That requires 10 tomb awards. So stuff like level two cards, soul shards for all of the modes, 6-way combo, etc. Basically you have to do everything and do all of it perfectly. That is a WHOLE different ballgame, and I doubt there are very many humans capable of getting there. To me, The Beast is the wizard mode, but it is nice knowing there is one more layer to strive for.

For reference, my GC score is 1.2 billion, with the rest of my high scores over 600M. I have battled the beast once so far, and I think only gotten one level 2 card (Trooper) a few times. I am a decent player, but not top level by any means. I doubt I will ever see RTTH, but will happily keep trying.

#9702 2 years ago

oh! I knew there had to be more to it. I did not know about the level 2 cards and the other tombs... This is certainly a game changer!!!
phew!
knowing this, now I realize I might be only 25% into the game code.
Love the shots, I dont think I played a game with such fun shots... I am really curious about JP, only played a little bit and looks really fun too and before anybody says it, had AIQ for a few months but absolutely hated it.

Here is some light reading for you...
http://tiltforums.com/t/iron-maiden-pinball-rulesheet/3787

JP is fantastic. Deeper strategy with more paths than IMDN, but I would say more straight forward than AIQ. The paddocks can feel a tiny bit "wood choppy" but each dinosaur acts differently and there are some interesting decisions in what path to take. And the T-Rex modes are amazing...some of the most adrenaline pumping modes in pinball in my opinion. Plus control room modes, and tons of other "side goals", and really fun mini-wizard modes culminating in a wizard mode that is basically an entirely new game (and can be played as a challenge mode from the start). Lots to do for the beginner, but as deep as you want to take it. Amazing game all around.

#9758 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks, the backbox is like one inch from the ceiling, I had to actually lower the leg adjusters all the way to get it to flip up. The problem now is the playfield hits the ceiling if I try to tilt it up to work on it.
No other places in the basement are higher.
My thought with the hydraulic cart is not to have it on there permanently, but if I need to flip up the playfield to work on it I can put it on the cart, remove the legs and lower it enough to give me clearance.

That's the same thing I have been dealing with for years. One half of my basement is just high enough that I can push up the drop ceiling enough to get a playfield up (in most places). The other half I can't. I do what I can with the playfields just slid out on the service rails, or holding it up with one hand. But anything more major, I do exactly what you are describing. Hydraulic lift, remove the rear legs, bring it down just far enough to get the playfield up. Pain in the butt, but not many options here. Thankfully the machines over there do not need to be opened up much. I wish Sterns still had the old "kickstand" playfield holder that older machines had. Then it wouldn't be a problem. You could try using a broomstick or something similar to hold it up, but that's risky and there aren't any great places to jam it into.

#9785 2 years ago

For what it's worth, I have had quite a few playfields replaced over the years. Every time it has taken many weeks if not months to get a decision, and then months to receive the playfield. However, they have always come through in the end. Of course, mine have all been aesthetic issues, not affecting play the way yours is, so for me it was much less annoying to wait. My best advice is just to be patient, be nice, and send them a friendly reminder every couple weeks. They are good people, doing their best to keep up. I'm sure no one is purposely ignoring issues, even though it can feel that way to us waiting. I'm sure they are short staffed and overworked like everywhere seems to be these days. Of course, that doesn't make trying to play on a warped playfield any easier. I hope they fix you up ASAP!

#9789 2 years ago
Quoted from captaindorky:

Approx. 3 months ago I posted regarding my CPU being faulty per Stern and it will need to be replaced. Part number is as follows: 509-1003-01 / SPIKE 2 CPU"
Anybody know where these can be found? I've searched all the usual places including Stern themselves and it is OOS.
Frustrated. How the heck do operators make this work if a board goes bad and there is little to no availability of replacements? My machine is HUO and low plays. Out of nowhere experienced a sound issue where the audio became muffled and distorted and I was told the board had gone bad.

Boards can (almost always) be fixed. If not something you can do yourself, I would talk to Rob Anthony @borygard. He can get you patched up.

1 week later
#9870 2 years ago

I am still diagnosing mine, I can go a more than 100 games with no issues and all of the sudden, balls stop making the loop when auto plunging. It is a bit disconcerting, like there is no rhyme or reason as to why is doing it because nothing has changed, things stop working momentarily and the next game the loop works 100% with auto plunge.
I suspect the coil is on the weak side and each plunge can be a bit inconsistent, OR, there is something in the code and the plunger is not getting the same amount of power every time?? mayyyybe?
It is weird because balls will change trajectory as if the power has changed. In other words, the ball might bounce off the little flipper bat and in the next shot it will bounce off the ball guide. This inconsistency makes me think that the coil is the issue and not the orbit adjustment (which I have already adjusted and worked perfectly for over 300 games, and works still the same now, I also check and it has not moved nor come lose or anything).
I have checked the actual mech and can't see anything wrong with it, so I am not sure yet what the issue might be. It is certainly not the adjustment anymore, I have dealt with it when I got the game.
I just cleaned and waxed the game and see if that makes a difference. Either way, this is weird.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Stern's launch mechanism. Been like this forever, but most games do not have as unforgiving of a launch path as this one does. I believe the root cause is simply poor tolerance stack-up on the many moving parts in the mechanism leading to slop and inconsistent launches. There are a few things you can do to help minimize it, but I doubt you will ever eliminate it.

#9873 2 years ago

yes, the auto plunger is a very important part of the game to keep the flow and or breaks consistent!
good news is I think I figured it out:
It turns out the guide had come out of alignment again, not sure why, as I had tuned it once before. I tuned it up again and it has been working 100% tonight.
This is what I did:
- Coil power as before -factory setting- 255
- Followed Stern's instructions (same as before). Because it started hitting the ball guide on the left side, I tune the guide on the shooter lane to shoot closer to the upper flipper.
** this is what I did different this time around**
I set it up so it shot closer to the upper flipper. I did some slow motion videos to see how close I was getting until I got the ball closer to it rather than the lower ball guide. I got it on the first try really, did not need to fiddle with it much.
Then, I reduced the coil power until I find a setting to get it to shoot the ball exactly in the middle, between the little flipper and ball guide. I figured, let's get the ball as high as possible first and then control the angle by adjusting the coil power rather than controlling this with the shooter lane guide.
The coil power has been reduced in setting #69 to 205 and played the game for 1.5 hours. No issues.
So with my original settings, I needed the coil at full power in order to not hit the ball guide under the flipper, and now, with my new setting, 50 points less than factory, I can get around with no issues so far.
The ball goes around the orbit just a hair slower but the shots have been consistent this way. Obviously, I would say it is too early to call it done but I am optimist.
Now, if the ball starts hitting the guide I know something has come out of alignment again, or something is binding. Also, having extra power available will enable me to fine tune if necessary, specially due to the auto plunger mech design and its tolarances, not every shot is exactly the same - they are very close - so having extra power available will allow me to explore a bit. Will see how it behaves for the next 100 games.
I will report back, cheers.

That's a great idea, overshooting the guide a bit and dialing down the power. I wouldn't have thought of that. Then again on mine I am not sure it would make it around the loop with all that much less than factory power. Interesting. Next time mine goes out of alignment I will give this a shot. Cool stuff. Glad you were able to get yours consistent!

4 weeks later
#10300 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I have been looking however no luck
LED tech has come a long way
There must be something good available by now ?

Comet has lots of options that will be brighter than the stock 2-SMDs.

1 month later
#10592 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I believe I heard a new call out for me. After a good ball the chick said God Dam in a sexy voice.

Ha! Never heard that one. Guess I need to play better. I get a little tingly when she says I'm "quite the baller".

1 month later
#11040 2 years ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Switch 22 question.
When I add shooter lane protector,
1) auto plunge interval SLOWS. a good 3 second pause before it shoots. Whereas otherwise, would shoot a second after ball release
2) gives me a switch 22 alert in diagnostics.
Also song select continues after plunge until a target/orbit/ramp is hit. Otherwise keeps scrolling through songs. Rather annoying
I remove protector returns to normal.
Was wondering if an adjustment I could make so I could keep the protector in there ?
Plz Advise. Thank you.

You will need to adjust your shooter lane switch to make up for the thickness of that protector. With the protector on, the ball sits up higher, which means the switch is not pressing down far enough. It should be simply a matter of bending the switch actuator up a bit. There are plenty of tutorials around on how to adjust a switch.

Next time I would suggest getting a Cliffy style (thin metal) protector instead.

1 month later
#11235 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Please can I ask for Pinside's help?
I would like to buy some warm GI bulbs but am away from my game. Are these the right bulbs, do i need bayonet or wedge?
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs?variant=1806558134316
Cheers!!

I believe everything is bayonet other than the spotlight which is a wedge. (hopefully someone else can confirm, but I'm 95% sure).

May I suggest using Sunlight instead of warm? It is significantly more warm than the stock bulbs, but much less yellow than warm. It is a great in-between, just right temperature in my opinion.

I would also suggest using frosted lenses. Much easier on the eyes any place you can see the bulb directly, and lights up just as well in the places you can't. I really wish all manufacturers would switch to using frosted. I doubt there is any cost difference.

1 week later
#11257 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Great post... I never considered how less pitch means more horizontal movement. I get tons of brutal drains on my machine so maybe I should try making it a bit steeper.
I got to play a ghostbusters at a bar recently and having double inlanes felt so easy. It's a nice change of pace but it sure made me appreciate how much of a skill game Maiden is. The outlanes are just so brutal, everyone who comes over and plays it curses constantly at the "cheap" drains

Yeah, it's a dirty little secret that in general, shallower games are harder. Everyone jacks up their pitch to make them "fast and brutal". LOL No...you just made your game easier to trap up and reduced the side-to-side sling action.

That said...I do prefer most of my games to be a little steeper...usually in the 6.8 or so range, but that varies depending on the game. They each seem to have a sweet spot where they just feel right. I hate a floaty game, but I also hate when a game doesn't flow right or I can't make a backhand that should work, etc. It usually takes some experimenting to find that Goldilocks "just right".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.