(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,842 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#706 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I know it's been mentioned before, but the flippers are very strong and LOUD. Played a game on SW and went back to Maiden and can feel and hear the difference. Any thoughts on this?

Check the manual for coil size and compare. It appears to use strong coils, hence the tapered post rubbers. Makes the game crazy fast and fun!

#793 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Anyone who thinks stern didn’t nail the LCD on this title is on pure crack!
This is just one of many sweet LCD animation effects implemented with the new code. Cyborg (warning - spoiler): » YouTube video

Schweeeeeet!

#927 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Hey everyone - I'm in the club today! Got a great deal on a Pro that was only used at MGC. Only played a couple of games so far (I'm working....), but it's awesome!

My dog eats his turds too. Try putting hot sauce on it.

1 week later
#1079 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

So... With any luck I should be getting my Prem next Friday... And if not next Friday then I should and by should I mean better get it the next week. And early into it. Can't wait to play it. Now... I just need to fix my breakshot again(got it all up and running and now the flippers suck again), and I still need to fix my hardbody flippers... I really wish there was a reliable and affordable pinball mechanic in my area. I paid about 184 dollars to have my breakshot fixed... And the guy didn't fix everything and the bankshot stopped working 5 minutes after he left... But, that is a diatribe for another thread... I'm getting my Iron Maiden. And its going to be sweet... But, sometimes I wish I would have just gotten a pro. But, I really do think in the long run the Prem/LE playfield is the way to go. Just more stuff, and I love the capture newton ball idea...
Stupid question. But, has that been done before? And if so on what pins?
Thanks.

We're going to need an updated, buffed-up profile photo before we answer any questions. Progress be progress, homie!

#1125 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I know everyone doesn't follow the mod thread, but this is an easy and affordable mod anyone can do to improve the look of the orb shot. Basically flip the led board and add a clear orb. This one came from a string of lights.

Can you offer a couple more angles and a shot of one of the orbs off the machine? Is the board in the same place, just flipped? How is the orb attached? Thanks!

#1169 5 years ago

I agree with paranoia. Mylar is tough, and it will take your ramp ages to get through it. Yes, your Mylar may get a mark on it, but I promise you will not lose your huo collectors condition certificate.

#1227 5 years ago

I understand why some of you want your pinball machines machines to remain in pristine condition, but it is a mechanical machine where a metal ball meets sharp metal edges, wood and clear-coat. The ball will get dings, and it will scratch the shit out of the clear and dent the shit out of the wood underneath the clear. This is normal. Buying protectors etc is kinda silly to me. You're trying to counteract the normal wear and tear pinball machines go through. Just play your games and occasionally wax the pfs and tumble your balls.

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Yeah the protector prevents that wear that's the point. I dont see how your "steel ball will destroy the playfield" is an argument against having a playfield protector.

"Destroy" was your word choice. My previously routed 20 year old w/b machines look great. Are they scratched and dented? YES! Does anyone without the perfect angle of lighting and a keen eye for anything that is not factory direct perfection notice? Hell no! Protectors are just silly. That is just my opinion. You have every right to attempt to keep your playfields pristine, but your attempts defy a lot of what the physics and manufacturing of pinball machines are all about. The games are meant to wear, and even cheap-assed sterns wear well.

#1256 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It means he thinks it's beneficial to give the playfield finish extra time to cure beyond the weeks or months it sat at the factory before Stern installed it. It's unlikely to have any discernible effect.

Mine smells too, but my cabinet was also painted...

#1281 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

What is a PRO LIGHTING UPGRADE?

It’s when a professional, usually an electrician, enters your home and installs newer, better light fixtures, often in the form of pot lights, led lighting etc. We just had a pro lighting upgarade and highly recommend it.

1 week later
#1397 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I have a Pro, and the auto-plunger usually shoots the ball all the way around the loop. However when I manually plunge, I'm lucky if it gets to the top of the loop where it falls down and rolls to the upper-left flipper - I can hit it roughly 50-60% of the time. However I thought I read other people talking about plunging in a way that doesn't make it go all the way around the loop - something I can never do.
Is there something I should be doing with the manual plunger to make it better? Or is this how it's supposed to be?

The ball must be bouncing off the guide rails. Unscrew and adjust your manual plunger.

#1408 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

To try to prevent or at least lessen this damage in the future I put some skinny strips of clear Gorilla tape over these two edges. They should provide a softer edge for the balls to land on. I’m sure they will get chewed up from all the ball hits over time but should be relatively easy to replace as needed.
I’ll put some new balls in and see how they fare after another hundred games or so.

I wouldn't bother. Almost every modern pin has sharp edges that will scratch balls. The balls will smooth the edges over time and lessen the effect. Your tape will last two, maybe three hits before the same process takes effect. Tumble your balls of you're that worried, but scratched ball damage is over rated. Just ask any major operator. I've seen modern stern machines left neglected for years with dull balls from years of scratches. Clean the grime off and you have a very nice playfield.

#1431 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Fair enough. It may not be worth the effort but I'll keep an eye on it and see.
While I don't doubt that modern extra-thick clearcoats are pretty durable it is also a well known fact that using a worn ball over an extended period can destroy a playfield.
I'll also try putting these balls through my polisher but I doubt some of those horizontal cuts are coming out.

I tumble 3 times a year. Some balls will still have slight scratches that are somewhat smoothed by the process. I'm no so sure it is a well known fact that scratched balls eat playfields to the point of them being a serious concern. Heard it a million times on here, but I never see modern pins with good clear (post early system 11) with clear worn through. Again, ask operators with thousands of plays on their machines how often they change/polish balls. Many will answer never. Most routed w/b machines were played a zillion times with balls more scratched than an itchy ballsack. I'd say that today's clear looks better than the 90s stuff, which was excellent. To me, it's almost a non issue.

#1438 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

OK, I was tired of having the auto launch bang off the post so I went back into it again today, and seemed to have fixed it (we'll see...). If you are having this issue, check to make sure the ball is not just grazing the tip of the upper right flipper as mine was. Adjusted the guide in just enough to keep the ball from hitting the flipper--much better!

Holding the flipper up helps. It's better to have it on the flipper side of things than the post. When I nudge, my game sometimes goes slightly off level, which also affects this issue. If it goes out again, check leveling first as it's the easier fix. This is the most finicky pin I've ever owned, but soooooo much fun when it works. When it doesn't, like when it auto-launches, hits the post and drains, I want to smash the glass. The devil prodding me makes it all the better!

#1448 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

TNA is a snoozer when compared to Maiden, Imo.

I can't see how you can call TNA a snoozer. It's fast and intense. I agree that maiden is a better pin though.

#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Up the Irons Man. Glad people are loving this game. As for me.. My Prem broke the 2nd day I got it... The underworld ramp is all busted. I'm finally getting a new mech sent to me... But, I do think its horse crap I have to replace it myself. Paid a lot of money for a pinball that broke with just 2 days of play. Yes... They were many hours of play... But, still... Oh well... Shouldn't take too long. I just haven't soldered in years and never was good at it. But, I got a mate of mine that is really handy with it, and I think I might have him come over and assist me. Still, I can play the game... Just hte ramp is stuck in the up position, and not nearly as much fun. But, still super fun.
It is my favorite game that I own. But, I only own 3 games. Soon to be 4.... The 4th one is about to ship out to me. But, out of all the games I have ever played this is certainly near the top of the list. I want to play it a bit fully working again and with the new code before I add my review to pinside. Still, I'm not a pinball expert. I just enjoy playing it.

If the only issue was that your ramp was stuck in the up position, your mech wasn't busted at all. Five minute or less fix. See the iron maiden issues thread.

#1494 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Thanks. That totally was the issue. Funny. When I called stern the first time I got chastised for daring to use oil on a pinball machine. And they never once mentioned this fix. But, all I did was grease it a little bit and its working just fine now. And to top it off I posted 2 really good scores in two games on it... Just missed off setting the grand high score on it. My old grand high was erased when I upgraded the code. But, I still need to update to 1.01... So I think I will do that this weekend.
Thanks a lot. Game really is so much fun!

Yeah, oil/grease is often the Devil inside pins, but some mechs need it. Great to see that your ramp is now working. I've also heard tightening up all the the screws on the mech can stop the rubbing. Mine just stopped rubbing after about 50 plays on its own. Just keep an eye on it for excessive wear to the guide rail below. It's very likely it is fine as is though.

#1498 5 years ago

I thought all LEs shipped ages ago...?

#1522 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I got my game finally. I love it. However, what is the deal the ramps? I can't hit them to save my life. They may as well be jackpot shots, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else struggling with them or is it just me?

Never shoot the right ramp unless you have a multiball going. Never break this simple rule and your scores will shoot though the roof. This game is multiball heavy, and you should always stack a multiball with modes that use that ramp, like fear and Icarus.

#1582 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I love this machine. But, I still am on my quest for a 300 million plus game. I just got my highest game to date and its 292... I was on fear of dark.. And yes, I do try to stack modes. But, sometimes you can't... And the ball drained when I was in the mode and I only got 12 million out of it.
What hurts me the most about this game is the outlane drains.
Now my nudging skills are rubbish. But, I do try to practice as best as I can to improve them. But, its a skill that I never had, and I fear I'll never really be much good at it.
Anyway any suggestions for dealing with the outlane drains. Yes, I do know get revive lit. But, lets be honest one multiball and there goes your revives.
And yes, I do not really aim for the right ramp, unless I'm in a mode that needs to use it and unless multiball.
But, with that being said. My biggest hurdle to getting to cyborg multiball is the unlocking power ramps.
All the others are much easier for me to unlock. That is my sole hangup. So of course I've been practicing how to hit them more.
And sadly most of my games end with just one more blooming ramp to hit to get it.
Blasted ramps.
And I really hate flight of icuras. I think that is the worst mode. But, my brother got that mode and was able to stack it with 3x and also trooper multiball, and he fired the canon and got the added ball. And he put up a monster 160 million ball. Took me all night to get his high score off my machine. He still owns the x playfield, and flight of icuras and maybe one more mode high score.
He will be crushed when I update the code.

I wouldn't nerf the rules. It always feels like cheating to me. Also, you own the game, so be patient. To me, this game was designed for players that like to maintain tight control of the ball. Practice dead flips, drop catches and live catches. For example, drop catching a little late from the underworld allows me to cradle on the right flipper 80 percent of the time.

I consistently have games between 400000 and 500000, sometimes around a million, and I follow these strategies, some of which you've mentioned:

1. Never ever ever shoot the right ramp unless you're in mb or revive is lit. Don't be tempted by the colored lights!

2. Pay attention to your modes. If Icarus is lit, get mummy ready before starting it.

3. Save your of multipliers for key moments, like tomb treasure, loop jackpots and modes.

4. Let the game somewhat guide you. I achieve Cyborg more often if I hit ramps when I need to for modes, MBs etc. Compared to when I focus on it.

5. Get better at nudging. Quick push nudges work well to clear the ball from the outlanes, even with my very sensitive tilt setting.

6. Worship the Devil. If you do, he'll take it easier on you. However, it will cost you your soul. Worth it? Probly...

#1621 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Yes, they are... But, try to spend a few games just aiming for them. you'll get much better at hitting them. With that being said, there are times I cannot hit the ramp to save my life.
And I decided to make a few tweaks to the game. First I have an extra ball available at 108 million. I've always had that set. It was at 150 when I first started playing, but it was at a setting to where it lowered cos I sucked so bad. So I feel 108 million is a good number for the first extra ball. And I have it set to static, so it always stays even after I hit it.
Then I decided to add a second extra ball at 250 million. I don't get to that number very often and I think it is worth granting as a bonus to a good game.
I raise the starting revive letters.
I am upset that you can't start with revive lit. I think that is kind of bullcrap. Be nice to have that option. And really I think that it's stupid that revive isn't lit to start the game in default.
There are so many games where I don't even light it ever.

You could put it on five-ball, raise the front end to leave you with 3 degrees and put a sock in the center drain. Slightly off arcade settings, but, hey, it's your game.

#1628 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well after a long night of watching IMDN pinball videos I've made my decision. I am going to go with the Pro model. If i wasnt interested in the Munsters so much i would get the Premium but in my opinion the pro is very close to being as good as the Premium model and by going with the Pro that leaves me money left over toward The Munsters so its a win win for me.....and Stern both since i will be buying 2 games instead of just one.
Anyway IMDN is one of the most awesome games that Srern has ever made, if not THE most awesome game that they have ever made. Ive got TWD and MET, two BIG hitters there and I've got a feeling that IMDN is going to become my favorite game. IMDN is so good that i don't know how any other games coming up could possibly compare to it.....but i hope they do of course. I cannot wait to get this bad boy in my house and start playing it.
Did they take the Fear of the Dark animations away that shows Keith running from eddie or the monster, whatever it is? He said it was going to be pulled but i think that is funny as shit and id like to see it left in there. If he doesn't want it to be him, they should put Gary in his place.

I’d play both more. After owning an le and playing a pro, the pro is lacking quite a bit. The premium is, by far, the better choice in my opinion. Watching the gameplay won’t show it much though.

#1637 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont have access to a Premium right now unfortunately but i really dont feel like its lacking much at all and its just a great game. I can also always upgrade down the road if i want to. I got three years at least to do that so im going with the pro for now and i am sure that i will love it. There are also some really sweet mods out for IMDN and i will have this game looking great in no time and it’ll be fun modding it.

You really can't go wrong. You'll get used to the pro and love it. The only issue that I have with the pro is the constant flow in such an intense game. The short breaks and importance of the left ramp make it significantly different to me, almost a different game. With the premium, you get to enjoy animations and plan a little more. I find that I get to enjoy the sound a little more as well. Dollar-wise, there isn't much difference, but play-wise, it is night and day. Hard to explain as it's mostly emotional. Avoid the premium and you'll never know the difference.

#1677 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not necessarily dts, its all in what makes you happy brother. You cant put a price tag on your happiness. I guess if i felt like the Premium/LE models was a much better game then I would be pushing it also and telling people to get the Premium but im just not seeing it personally. If I find out later on that im wrong I will sell the pro and upgrade. Ive played the pro alot and i think its amazing. Its an absolute blast to play and the modes and call out etc are awesome. I maybe should have went Premium since I already know that this game is a keeper for life but i think I will be happy with the pro just like i am my GOT, TWD, and AS Pros. I would have even been happy with a GB and MET Pro but i chose Premium on those two. I also plan to go Premium on the Munsters if it ends up being a good game because i love the theme.

How much have you played the premium/LE? My buddy routes and received the pro really early, so I was able to play it like crazy before my LE arrived. I still play it when I’m at his pub, so I have a lot of time on both. I’m surprised you don’t feel much of a difference. They feel like different games with some of the same features to me. The pro has the jump ramp, the Newton ball and loops as highlights, whereas the premium/LE has those and the second newton, the pharaoh mech, the lock mech, the newton eject, and the lift ramp. You can nail mummy and start a mode in one shot, which I find I cannot on the pro. The lower orb newton adds really cool strategy to build up jackpots as you have to purposely avoid it, often during multiballs. This is easier to do on the pro. I also love being able to check the screen a little more to see my jackpot status, revive and loops. The pro is fun, but I would say the premium/LE is 25% more fun to me, which is very significant. The pro is still a great game, but I would never switch.

1 week later
#1838 5 years ago

Advice for those plugging up the outlanes due to excessive draining: sell your machine and buy an original Nintendo and one game: Contra.

Here's the secret: up+down+up+down+left+right+left+right+B+A+Start.

Not only will this save you significant money, but you will be even better at something with even less effort.

On a side note, I'm now offering legitimate online master's degrees. No prerequisites! No homework! Get that job you've always dreamed about! PM for details.

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Bad advise. Everyone has different skills and those struggling with the game are looking for a way to make it easier for THEM to play and enjoy the game. That's why there are settings, you know?

1 week later
#1952 5 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Asking for some advice please guys. I have my LE and upon closer look I have heaps of scratches all over my pf'd.
They basically run from top to bottom! They were there even before I played a ball. Noticed them when setting up as did those who were there to help me.
I have spoken to my distro, so no, this isn't a witch hunt. They have advised me of their thoughts.
I am honestly just looking for feedback as to whether this is something normal or not? I am really struggling to decide if I do not worry about it or push the issue that something has happened to cause this and should be fixed.
I have cleaned the pf'd with Novus as well as given it a wax with no difference.
Thoughts please. Cheers guys. (and again, just after honest feedback pls.)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Judging by your pics, which appear to require a perfect angle of light, these are normal surface scratches and likely came from testing and Stern's crappy balls. If not, it may be from the assembly line tools or something, but they look to be shallow surface scratches. You're going to get these anyway, so asking for a new pf is just going to cost needless time and money. The clear is thick for a reason, so enjoy your game and don't worry about it. Everyone that owns a pinball machine needs to remember that ALL playfields scratch and dent. If you want it pristine, leave it in the box. Not being condescending. Just stating the facts.

#1969 5 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Thanks for the reply, not sure if it's in the clear or under. Can't tell, can't feel the scratches which apparently is a good thing as they are not deep I've been told?!? Taken some more detailed photos and will see if it gets worse over a few more plays. If so, I recon there's a possible problem

From your response and your pics, it is not a problem. The new thicker (and better) clear magnifies scratches. My pf has tons and will have many more after I'm done kicking the devil's ass again and again and again. Hahahaha! Bullseye!

#1971 5 years ago
Quoted from Trond:

I've been a Maiden fan for about 28 years. And more recently I'm a fan of Iron Maiden pinball. My only objection to my friendly neighborhood arcade machine is that the volume on their IM is too low. Maybe they're afraid of scaring the kids.

Buy one, hook up a sub and let the neighbors call the cops!

#2012 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh yeah one more interesting thing. My game came with the bally/Williams type corner brackets. Another friend of mine has a pro and his doesn’t have them, how about you guys, does your game have them?[quoted image]

I hope this means all LE owners can expect a set in the mail any day now...

#2027 5 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Question for you LE guys. Even with the backbox turned down there is still a good amount of reflection. Does the invisiglass reduce it. I had it on my WOZ and LOTR and it was great but those games didn't reflect like Maiden.

It definitely does. If you decide to buy after market, don't buy stern or the original invisiglass. The other, third brand, is way better. The name escapes me, but I have all three brands and Stern's is not as good.

#2060 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok guys i need some help here please. This wont apply to LE owners since you have different speakers, but to Pro and Premium owners only.
I want to know when you start a game and then select your song if the speaker inside the cabinet sounds nice and clear or does it sound kinda shitty almost like your speaker is blown? You have to stick your head under the cabinet and listen to it. Put your volume on say 20.
All of my other games cabinet speakers sound good but my Maiden cabinet speaker sounds pretty crappy almost like its busted, but i know that it isnt because i changed the speaker. Something happened to my sound yesterday during a game and i suspect that its in my main board probably. Please though if you don't care to do this check and let me know how your speaker sounds on volume 20.
Im not hearing the amount of bass that i was hearing when i first set the game up. Something happened about 35 plays in.

LE cab speaker sounds like smoker's cough as well. Turn down the bass and treble to almost nothing and add a powered sub. It's a stern, what do you expect except the cheapest Chinese amp/speaker available?

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The hardware is capable, just the mixing is lacking

I'll believe it when I hear it. The speaker and amp are crap especially at loud volumes. However, they did polish a turd on myth Busters, so anything's possible...

#2099 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Tomb treasures:
Fear of the Dark Soul Shard
Flight of Icarus Soul Shard
Aces High Soul Shard
Rime of the Ancient Mariner Soul Shard
Hallowed Be Thy Name Soul Shard
Collect a loop jackpot
Mummy Super Jackpot
Trooper Super Jackpot
Complete Number of the Beast
Collect the “Level 2” versions of all 4 Eddie cards

Question was, how you light tomb treasure...

#2102 5 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Those are the events that light the treasure shot.

I was hit in the head as a child. Leave me alone.

2 weeks later
#2270 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

That's a tough question. I have both as qell and I find I keep going back and forth between the two.

Design-wise, Metallica, regardless of its popularity, is from the stern cookie cutter era. Center bash, with ramps. Snake is same as gene head ball catch... pothole instead of sewer placed the same as gotg and others. Inline drops are good, but that’s about it. IMDN is lacking in toys, but the flow and combo style kills all of sterns cookie cutter machines. No contest.

Downvote is to your top right.

#2271 5 years ago

1 week later
#2356 5 years ago
Quoted from markymark2400:

I know someone helpfully said to read through this thread, but guys its almost 50 pages and I am a hard working guy!

Prove it!

2 weeks later
#2506 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

No. A shaker is never a must for a pin.

Except maybe Iron Man. Put one in and wow. With the intense music in that game and a sub, the shaker just puts it over the top. I don't think it's that great in IMDN as it doesn't have the same direct hit targents like Iron Man (war machine kicker, whiplash, monger). IMDN is more loops and ramps. Having the game rumble as the lock opens up (LE/Prem) isn't all that exciting.

If I had an IMDN without a shaker, I personally wouldn't bother... But opinions are like Ash Poles...

1 week later
#2627 5 years ago

Any old-school metal band would draw the ire of others. I'd love to see a Judas Priest pin, even over Maiden, but soooo many would whine about Halford's high-pitched howls.

Maiden is kinda the same, but the do have some serious stinkers. "Can I Play With Your Penis?" is a horrible tune. I wish they didn't include it.

1 week later
#2713 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The audio mixing in the code is still not quite right.
The mid range is raspy. no speaker will fix this.
Hopefully audio team will sort this out with new code.
Agree, a correctly set up sub will give best audio experience at this time.

Add an external amp. There's a tutorial on here.

2 weeks later
#2817 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

My flipper is a litter "higher" than the ball guide. I haven't touched it from the factory, both shots are makable, and both shots are very hard. If this game has a flaw, it's that the small loop is makable, I doubt even the best players can loop it 2 or 3 times, so not great. (I'm sure someone has done it once, but I don't think it's consistently possible)

I can make that shot probably 40% of the time, which I feel is pretty good. I've done 3 in a row many times, 4 I think is my record as well. I immediately adjusted my flipper flush with the ball guide when I received the game. Not sure why they had it out a little. My guess is to give more clearance for the loop/auto launcher.

When the ball is moving slow, the shot is late on the little flipper. If you shoot even a little early, you'll get siderail-bounce rejects. Momentum changes the shot to earlier on the flipper of course.

If you have a prem/LE, if you shoot really late on the little flipper, you can bank the ball off the post above the drops and send the ball under the ramp to start a mode or nail a Mariner jackpot. I shoot for that often, although it is tough. Kinda like TZ bank shot to the piano from side flipper.

#2819 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Most people here probably already know this, but just so everyone is clear... all flippers should be pointing directly at the small holes in the playfield at the tip of the flipper.

Yes, but for some reason, Stern set up IMDN with the little flipper not alighed with the dot. I've seen it on every copy I've played, including my own. There must be some reason for this.

I'd also add that in my experience, ball guides are way better for measuring flipper alignment than the dots. Mass manufacturing means that alignments are not always spot on.

#2825 5 years ago

Haven't owned a GB (and never would. Yuck!), but I've never played a game in my life that either wasn't or wouldn't benefit from the flippers being in parallel with the ball guides. All of my experience with the flipper alignment holes, regardless of the way in which the company recommends you use them, coincides with this.

#2828 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Gottlieb DMDs also are not designed in this manner. The flippers are typically angled down from the ball guides.
As a tournament player, I play the games as designed. The 'benefit' you are seeing is quite subjective to the title and player.

True on the Gottlieb droop. They would be my exception.

1 week later
#2878 5 years ago

I prefer Mylar over lollipop rails. I find the rails a bit ugly, rings scratch them and Mylar is cheaper, easier and lasts forever.

#2909 5 years ago
Quoted from Whifflebat:

I just joined the club with a Pro that should be arriving later this week for home use. Got the Stern HD glass, Stern shaker motor and headphone jack/volume control with it. As this is my first pin (I'm a mix of extremely excited and "dear god, what have I done..." ), I have a few questions regarding set up and care.
1. What do you all have your play fields leveled at? Reading through the thread, most have it set at 6.5-6.8. Is that the general consensus?
2. I've read that the balls that Stern supplies with the game aren't great. Should I switch them out immediately?
3. I've heard a few differing opinions on whether it's necessary to wax a brand new, home use only pin vs. just cleaning the play field regularly and changing out the balls once they start to get dull, scratched or pitted. Thoughts?
4. What play field cleaner is recommended? I've seen some recommend Novus 1
5. Recommendations on what to use to clean the HD glass? I understand that nothing with ammonia should be used

I use a house mix of 50% isopropyl and 50% water for HD glass and have for years. This is what the cleaner for eyeglasses is made of, except they use distilled water. If you're going to put it in your eye or in your bum, I recommend the distilled water.

#2938 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Mylar was coming up in the back loop. Asked Stern about it and they sent me a replacement for free! I forgot to take a picture before I removed it but you can see that it was bubbling up pretty bad.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is it just cheap mylar? Mine is doing the same.

#2978 5 years ago

Can I play with your penis is a pretty fun mode. I wouldn't turn it off.

1 week later
#3029 5 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I own a pro and love it. All of a sudden I am thinking of upgrading to prem.
Is it worth it? Better or not?

Totally worth it if you can afford it. Whenever I play a pro, the game feels incomplete. You also get to enjoy the animations more with the premium. The pro removes what Keith designed. I wanted that design and I'm happy I paid for it.

#3035 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Sweet. Is this really all that lighted trough kits are? These are only $2.75 on sale....why are they like almost $20 from mezelmods, etc?

They are even cheaper if you do them yourself. Easy too.

1 week later
#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I think everyone who has the newton ball wishes they didn't have one!

I have played both extensively and, by far, prefer the newton ball. It's actually more difficult to build up jackpots with it.

#3141 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I’d like to find an LE I can trade a GBLE

You're asking for a Ferrari in trade for a Mustang that was top of the recall list.

#3226 5 years ago

Wow! I am not a fan of Stern's quality overall, and this even shocks me. May as well lazer print some IMDN crap off the net onto a couple pieces of cardboard and save yourself $400. I realize business is mostly about making as much as you can, but this is just insulting.

#3268 5 years ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

I’m having an odd problem. Tho opto on the right ramp doesn’t register during game play but does register during test. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Check alignment and solder connections. If it's not aligned, it may miss a fast moving ball. Are you checking it with a ball during switch edges? Also, you might have a loose wire that engages when the game is not vibrating. Check for sloppy solder.

#3285 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Day one and I'm modding away.
Pinnovators board installed.
Shaker installed.
Pharoah blinder kit installed.
Pharoah protector installed.
Vireland's mode light tree installed.(before game one)
Titan rings (mostly installed)
Navy blue t molding installed
Cheap mummy plastic "installed".
Tomorrows mods
Finish Titans
Swap out fan
Install art blades
Only played 5 games today but my auto launch seems good
[quoted image]

CATAN!

#3363 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Installed my yo dawg light kit. Love the way it looks on the game! Thx Doug
[quoted image]

You're ready for Christmas! Are you leaving the lights up year round?

1 week later
#3439 5 years ago

Everyone should at least be open to trying any theme. Playing Aerosmith did make me long for deafness, but I still played it. The gameplay made me long to see it on Todd Tuckey's roof. All in all, I still had great fun talking with other pinheads about just how bad the game is. Who wants to miss out on that?

#3447 5 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Aerosmith PAINS ME to play it. It's probably one of the only games I'll actually say I HATE. People say hate's a strong word...IMHO, not strong enough. Even setting theme aside, the shots aren't fun to me, modes aren't enjoyable, "sparky" call outs are alright which make the game slightly tolerable.
I just really despise it, lol

If I ever end up in hell, I’ll still have a pin collection. Only problem is that it will consist of Aerosmith and The Avengers.

#3454 5 years ago

Never met a game that didn't play better face down and ass up. All the way, that is.

#3479 5 years ago

Topper should have been stock on the LE.

As for cringing about the Newton balls, the issue is manufacturing (cutting costs). There appears to be inconsistancy in build quality. Mine have worked great from day one.

#3486 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You are lucky trust me. You must have at least loctited them i assume right?

No loctite. I have the angled posts but haven’t bothered installing them because all is well.

#3487 5 years ago
Quoted from Alex_swe:

This game haunts me right now..
I really want to get a Premium, but then another game have to leave the collection
I have an AFM LE, Metallica Pro and a Monsterbash LE on the way.
Only have room for 3 games.
Leaning to sell AFM, but it is an awesome game.

AFM is awesome, but not nearly as deep and fast. Plus you can play it on location if you need a fix. Most imdns on location are pros. I skipped afmr, and I’m glad I did. I play it in pin bars and that’s enough. I’m skipping mbr as well for the same reasons. It’s super easy, and it will be everywhere.

#3493 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Dont your post get loose all the time and screw the switch up with no loctite on them?

I've only adjusted the gap on mummy. Never touched the posts.

#3530 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

I've played plenty of Pro/Prem/LE Maidens and they all feel very similar in terms of shots and build quality so I'm not sure what you mean. If anything most of the Pros play "nicer" because they don't have captive ball issues.

I've played both a lot too, and I find them to be very different. Pros are fun to play, but the mechs on the LE/Prem change the game significantly and in a good way. It is Keith's true design for the game. In my opinion, the LE/Prem should have been the pro and the LE/Prem should have had more... Also, I've been lucky to have no issues with the newtons and very little issue with my loops.

#3615 5 years ago

Keep in mind that it’s like any product: those who have issues are going to be much more active and loud about it. My imdnle has given me very little trouble, so little that I was/am shocked. Many others have reported the same good fortune. If you get a bad one, you’ll be tinkering. You should be able to sniff out a good one on the used market.

1 month later
#3873 5 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Have battled the beast a lot (not defeated yet but won’t be long. no to run to the hills.
I’m ok to bow out here... I know in this club it’s not going to be easy to have a contrarian view against IMDN.
I’m not saying I don’t like the game and it’s not just the theme of LOTR... but the post asked if IMDN is as satisfying as LOTR code wise and to me it’s not close in that regards, that’s all.
I have given some great examples of this but agree that everyone may have a different opinion ... I’m sure over at the LOTR club you could find many more arguments for how the code is deeper and more sophisticated - perhaps the poster can try to ask his question there. I just go by “feel” and that’s how it feels to me.
I’ll have a couple games of each back to back today and if I come up with anything else I’ll let you know. IMDN is the new kid on the block here so it is getting most of my plays but I can blow the dust off LOTR and remember quickly why it has will likely never leave my collection...LOL

Can totally see your love for LOTR, but you and others have missed including the loops. The loops are what make this game epic. I never thought I'd see a game that could top BK2000 for loop euphoria, but IMDN has done it. Oh yeah, then add all that other code. LOTR has nothing like the loops for intensity and code that is slightly deeper.

1 week later
#3958 5 years ago

No matter the setup, you will be able to control upper and lower flippers separately. Seeing that Robert is a seasoned tournament player, it's unlikely that he would adjust his switches. Mine are pretty tight, but I'm getting better with them with more practice. It's a very sensitive and difficult skill to master.

#3977 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Adjusting your flipper switches to ensure proper 2-stage operation is a normal adjustment and is in no way considered cheating or making a game easier. Just sometimes they don’t pay that much attention at the factory. My LE had one side where the top flipper fired before the bottom out of the box...

That's pretty strange, considering the physics of flipper leaf switches. You have to touch the bottom before you touch the top switch. As for adjusting, I'm sure tournaments would have them tight, so Robert would likely want them that way on his machine for practice. I never said anything about it being cheating. I don't adjust mine because I want to get better at tight settings.

#3990 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Exactly. Threw me for a loop when I first saw it happening as well. Good news is it’s super simple to adjust these to your liking.

My point is that you can’t assume the factory adjustment is correct and it’s not cheating or unexpected to have them setup for clean two-stage operation. Trapping balls on the lower flippers while shooting the upper is already a difficult advanced skill, no need to cripple it further with poorly adjusted switches.

A tight switch is not synonymous with poorly adjusted. I can almost guarantee that PAPA adjusts them to be tight.

1 month later
#4281 5 years ago

I don't see the point of a rules card in a huo environment. I just make cards with graphics and maybe a short message. One of mine is aces high graphic and says "Die with your balls gone." That's the only rule you really need to know.

2 weeks later
#4423 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thanks. I would like to know why some people have the problem and some people dont. Theres gotta be something causing it.
Was the installation easy?

I just adjusted the angle of the opto transmitter bulb. Problem solved.

#4425 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is there only one opto for the loop shots or is there two? I looked at the opto on the top right of the playfield and it is shining directly into the reciever. Is the opto in the fireball loop to count the loops as well? Im assuming that it is? Which one did you adjust?

The one inside the large loop (fireball) is what I adjusted.

#4438 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Wow that’s terrible. I sold all my games. Decided to pay extra on mortgage and lay low. 2020 global recession will be fun. US auto sales are way down, there just not telling you yet that sh$t is about to hit the fan.

Off topic:

I think that is a very smart move. I've been debating it myself. I know that most on here argue that pins shouldn't be treated as an investment, but I bought most of my machines when prices were a lot lower, and the rising interest encouraged me to buy more. IMHO, we are reaching saturation in the market. New pins have huge production runs and never retain value anymore. Older W/B still command a good price, but I'm seeing some slipping in the market in my area. To me, it will only get worse, but it will take time. I'd say in five years, pins will be down by 30%+. There is just too much supply vs. demand. My main issue is that when I consider selling, I play the games and love them more than my children.

2 weeks later
#4536 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Anyone added an external sub to their IM? Did you use crocodile clips on the cab sub lugs, did it improve things?
Cheers.

I have a Peavy bass amp hooked up to the cab speaker. Epic.

#4568 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

The premium/LE, in general, is just a better experience all the way around.
I hate every time I have to play a pro.

Agree. Premium should have been the pro is the issue with this game. The prem/LE should have even more. They stripped this pro so much that it should have its own dance pole. Both games are still fun though!

1 week later
#4624 4 years ago

Premium/LE does introduce a small amount of stop and go, which I prefer. Makes left ramp more relevant and raising ramp is just more variety and fun. I also get to enjoy the animations and tunes a little more while I check my strategy and swig a coldy. My buddy has a pro and I still like it. Stripped and fast is still fun, but it's missing the variety I prefer.

#4643 4 years ago

Anyone know why loop jackpot loops do not count toward total loops? The extra ball at 50 loops with this lack of count is brutal. I lowered it to forty and it’s still crazy difficult.

Speaking of ball management, counting loops during mb auto-launches is terrible. They could code the timing to make it work almost perfect.

#4683 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

The problem with that suggestion is that if the ramps aren't lit to light a letter, and instead the orbit is lit for a letter it could force you to start Trooper, or collect a Tomb Treasuer rather than lighting a letter progressing to starting a mode. It would actually limit your strategy choice.
The one change I would like to see in reference to the letters is that once you have played 2mtm the lighting of letters returns to the same state as at start of game- rather than just being ramps which can make the game a hell of a grind if you still need to collect Soul Shards from incomplete modes (I know Mystery Lv3 awards a SS after NotB - but only once).
I'd also prefer it if Cyborg MB didn't take precedence over everything else at the Pharaoh Shot, nothing more annoying than having NotB lit and having to play CB MB first.

A revolving shot would fix this issue. Something needs to be done about the issue. "I made it to the last two modes, so now I just shoot ramps until I die or succeed..."

1 week later
#4747 4 years ago

Premium LE owners will argue for their choice and pro the same. Tough to get a straight answer on pinside.

#4757 4 years ago

I've played the pro maybe 30 times. It is faster, but I find my LE way more fun. As I've always said, Stern premiums should be the pros and LEs should be stacked for the ca$h they charge. I feel the LE feels populated like the pros Stern used to sell years ago. I only bought IMDN nib because I knew Archer was awesome and Kieth would do the game justice with design and code. I can't think of any other motivator that would convince me to buy another nib Stern. Maybe Keith's next game will have a great design AND bang for buck...

#4765 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Any tips for getting Mummy SJ?
For me hardest to get of the 4 Eddie cards.

Another strategy: hit both ramps to add a ball. Cradle two on left one on right. Send right ball into bumpers via the revive spinner. Then smack the orb. Repeat. This helps light revive and gets a lot of switch hits.

2 weeks later
#4899 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This and Deadpool Prem are the best Stern choices out now! Great place to jump in with a NIB.

Great choices, but if you can only go with one, Satan sure beats a baby super-hero bash.

#4904 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Joined the club last weekend. Finally stopped playing long enough to shoot a couple pics[quoted image][quoted image]

Your game looks like it's ready to go trick-or-treating.

#4944 4 years ago

Left ramp can be nailed with consistency with some practice, so no fluke there. I'm finally getting the right down and can get some pretty good combos in Icarus. That being said, I wish they'd get around to fixing the later mode qualifiers as the game gets so damn ramp heavy. I like having to hit them sporadically as they are the toughest shots in the game.

Has anyone heard from anyone at stern about a code update? Are there any plans, or are we stuck with the latest, including the bugs?

#4963 4 years ago

I can hit the target skill shot 80% and the others less than 50%, so I don't bother with the others. The pretty consistent extra ball save, letter and points are better value to me. I just hate the right drain rebound.

3 weeks later
#5059 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

How about this...whats the quickest way to reset/cancel a game? On other pins, I can go into the menus and exit, and it resets/cancels the current game in progress, but not in IMDN. Is there a trick to canceling a game?

I install a button to the slam tilt wires. Then I just push the button to reset. Takes a while though as it does pretty much a full reboot. Much more functional on SAM games.

#5079 4 years ago

I just adjusted the first opto on the big loop. Haven't missed since. I'd try that before buying something that just blocks some light. Tape would work as well as that...

#5092 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

What adjustments did you do to your opto? I’m starting to think I’m getting cheated on my loop count.

It’s been a while, but from what I remember, I loosened the two Philips crews of the bulb side and moved the bulb so it was pointing straighter into the loop lane. Tightened and tested. I am now so used to counting loops for testing that I count them whenever I play. It’s been consistent ever since.

#5129 4 years ago

Anyone replace the Mylar at the backside of the jump ramp? Mine's chewed to death. If so, how are you removing it? What about below the lifting ramp? Mine looks as though it is cutting through.

#5167 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I'm considering the Stern aces topper but seems to be made specifically for the LE, or does it make sense for premium as well?

Won’t match very well, but it will function as designed.

#5183 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Dammit.
I just went to mezel to order the loop kit and of course they are sold out. Pretty sure they were in stock when I looked at them 48hrs ago.
Does anyone know another seller I can order from?

Just adjust the opto (the real fix IMHO) or just use a piece of tape. That "mod" made me laugh my ass off. Hold my beer, there's an Eskimo at the door who wants to buy some ice...

#5185 4 years ago

I'm assuming you mean this thing:

Screenshot 2018-11-19 16.00.13 (resized).pngScreenshot 2018-11-19 16.00.13 (resized).png

I can't see how you'd need something like this. The inner loop is a tight and tough shot. If you don't hit it perfectly, the ball won't go around, no matter how many mods you stick in the game. Once you get that shot down, it goes way smoother. I've nailed I think 6 in a row until the spinner f'ed up the return. I nail two or three in a row almost every game, and I'm mod-free!

IMHO, no one needs these mods. It took me 15 minutes to fix my opto issue.

#5189 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Isn't that one to address the ball trap?

Oh, didn't know about the trap spot. Never had a stick ball there. Easy to make your own though.

#5190 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How did you fix the opto issue?

Loosened the opto bulb side and made sure it was perpendicular to the rail. Easy fix.

#5210 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'd be interested to know what strategies people use when playing where score, rather than progression is the target? i.e. in competition
I'm taking my Pro to use in a comp I'm running at Pinfest and have changed just 2 of the settings to shorten the ball times. Namely ball save on MBs is reduced, and Revive is harder (both in achieving and if you use Revive to save a ball down one outlane it turns the other outlane off as well). I Have also tightened the tilt and made the slingshots more sensitive. The left outlane post is fully closed, right outlane is fully open.
Previously I was all about going for the Tomb Treasures by completing modes and letting MBs happen. This had got me a few scores over 3bil, 8 TTs on numerous occasions and a few cracks at defeating The BEAST.
However with the ball being much more likely to drain I decided a change of strategy may be worth looking at. Loops all day long.
After half a dozen games I was getting scores over a billion by focusing on loops, hitting 40-50 on average, and just taking anything else that came along.
Then this happened.
The really annoying thing about it was that when I drained I had loop jackpots ready to go again, with a base value of 33.5mil AND 3x scoring ready to start. Rather than stick to my strategy I tried to hit the left ramp, trigger 3x playfield then go back to loops - obviously I ballsed it up and drained.
Had I got it started assuming I hit 3 big loops in a row followed by a small loop that would have given a score of 100+200+300+1200mil - 1.8 BILLION for just 4 shots.
[quoted image]

For score, I go revive then loops. I do this every game. I still go for everything else in the game, but 3x loops amounts to INSANE points plus extra ball (non tournament). If all ball saves are off and posts are pulled, I'd go for drops, multiballs and modes... Basically everything but loops.

3 weeks later
#5419 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Not mine, but I helped a friend set up his first pin yesterday! I'm planning on ordering a pro within the next couple of weeks.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Better get the premium. You'll be jealous...

1 week later
#5474 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

What was the condition of your mylar prior to removal? The pretty beat up condition of mine is what concerns me. Might just have to buck up and give it a go

Mine was pretty beat up. Just peeled it off and used some goo gone and paper towel. Then used alcohol and microfiber. Easy peasy.

#5493 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

3 ways -
Complete (no need to claim) 3 powers
5th tomb treasure
50 loops

I play my games steep and fast, almost never nerf rules, and consider myself a pretty good player. That being said, I highly recommend lowering the loop count to 40 for extra ball. Seeing that your loop jackpots do not count as loops toward your total, 50 is more like 65, and 40 is more like 55. I still rarely get this extra ball, but it's at least an achievement I can keep in mind if the loops are flowing. At 50, I'd get that extra ball 1/100 games.

Also, this balances the difficulty for extra balls. The first extra ball (powers) is pretty easy (40% of games for me) and the second (loops at 40) is pretty tough (10% for me) and the last (treasures) is very difficult (1% for me).

Trust me, you'll like this. When loops are going relatively well (say you have 28 or something), you feel as if the extra ball is achievable and it can influence your approach. At 50, it rarely will.

#5507 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I've been thinking of swapping out can I play with madness and wasted years for something silly. I dont particularly like those songs and unlike my Metallica, they arent tied into a bunch of other modes or anything. I'm leaning toward some classic video game music. So far I'm thinking Ken's theme from Street Fighter and Greenhill zone from Sonic. Those 2 would only fill one slot so I'd have other options but i like old game music so at least a little bit.

The only one I hate is can I play with your penis. It's tied to a treasure on the LE

1 month later
#5674 4 years ago

You can also light it more quickly by clearing the drops and hitting the center ramp target (you'll hear "fire the canon!" or "Canon ready"). This also adds a ball. Tipp: Clear the drops and trap up. Shoot shots (other than the center ramp - I work on other jackpots and revive if I need it) until you're down to one ball and quickly hit the center shot. Adds a ball and loads super.

#5696 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I feel like it plays slightly less "clanky", which makes sense since the other rubber pads are more flimsy and shift.
Not sure why Stern made this change. None of my other Stern games have these. I still have to replace the upper flippers.

Just shows the lengths Gary will go to save pennies.

3 months later
#6182 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just created these apron cards for an IMLE owner, so I wanted to offer them to the group. Cost is $10 per set (includes US postage - $12 per set if outside US). The cards are printed on a 6 ink photo quality printer using OEM inks and heavy ultra high gloss OEM photo paper. I then coat them with a clear gloss vinyl laminate, cut to size, then color the edges so that the white of the paper does not show.
Please PM me if interested in purchasing (sorry, but I do not share my artwork/files).[quoted image][quoted image]

I too do not share my art for free, and I'll throw mine out there too at a more competitive price: $9.00 for the set free worldwide shipping and handling.

IMG_20200229_015432 (resized).pngIMG_20200229_015432 (resized).png
2 weeks later
#6251 4 years ago

A tip for the underworld mylar:

I pulled mine when fixing pooling and made a template for the mylar and then split the template in two. This means I'll only have to replace the thin piece every year or so when it wears from the ramp hammering it. The two pieces fit together flush, unlike the pic

IMG_20190923_194626 (resized).jpgIMG_20190923_194626 (resized).jpg:

3 weeks later
#6392 4 years ago

Do you have an IMDN premium or LE? Wanna kick some ass in a tournament?

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up an online tournament for next Friday (April 17th), and I'm trying to recruit participants that have one of the games I have. I'm going to be posting this in each of the forums for the games I own, so I apologize in advance if you get this more than once.

The tournament would be on a single game and take place over zoom. It sounds like it could be a hell of a good time.

Please head over here for info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/online-tournament-over-zoom-#post-5587755

2 weeks later
#6489 3 years ago
Quoted from snappahead:

I love this pin and I'm really happy to have one in my home, but I feel like I'm hitting a score wall. Can you guys give me any simple pointers to improve my score? I'm still learning the basics of it, but I'm not sure where to focus my efforts. I'm a crappy player and drain pretty easy, but I'll have the occasional long ball time where I'm hitting most of my shots and it feels like I'm doing well, but then I'll drain and look up at my score to see I've only gained 20 million. My best score is 389 million so far and I'm not sure how I got that much.

Practice loops. Whenever I want to play for points, I get PF X and shoot loops. My average game with going for loops is about 500 mil. plus there's an extra ball at 50. Otherwise, PF X with modes.

1 week later
#6566 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Good choice. Iron Maiden is much better than Dialed In.

I have them both and love them both for different reasons. DI and IMDN are apples to oranges. Lawlor's design is more loose and classic, while Keith's design is more furious and requires control. Depends on my mood. I love he driving metal and Satan in IMDN, but I also love the goofiness of DI and the amazing animations.

#6576 3 years ago

I bought a bunch of little red switches that fit perfectly into the slam tilt connector. If I need to reset, I just open the coin door and press the button.

#6585 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

That's interesting....do you mind taking a pic?

NP. Here ya go:

IMG_20200514_233157 (resized).jpgIMG_20200514_233157 (resized).jpgIMG_20200514_233303 (resized).jpgIMG_20200514_233303 (resized).jpg

I just bend the leads outward and slide it into the plug so it's really tight. Stays put. Easy peasy. Works on my Iron Man as well, so it should work on most newish Sterns. It is a full reboot, so you have to wait a bit, but I still use it now and then.

#6592 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Sorry....full reboot..as in...its like turning the power off/on again?

Yeah, slam tilt is always a full reset, like powering off the machine. The switch is better on older machines. IM takes about 5 seconds to boot. Maiden is looooong. It's still useful to throw a cheap switch in it though, considering the power switch is in a crappy place.

#6598 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Well this is a first for me. The ball was going really fast, I flipped to hit the right ramp, as it was going so fast that when it made the slight left to be dropped at the inlane, it instead flew out of the wireframe, over the flippers and drained. And as appropriate, the callout was "oh, cheap drain."

I have a broken plastic from this. Happened in the first week of owning the machine. Can't buy individual plastics either...

#6610 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Goody bag should have you covered. Have you checked?
[quoted image]

Wow, the plastic on top is what I need. I swear I checked, but maybe I dreamt it. I'm always dreaming about pinball... If only the naked women would come back...

4 weeks later
#6703 3 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

Maiden feels way easy compared to JP! No doubt.

As always, dependent on setup. My maiden is maximum angle and waxed. It is the destroyer in my collection, far more than my cranked up IM.

#6707 3 years ago

You guys are missing the fastest way to get big points. Get at least 2x going and rip loop jackpots. I've earned over 400 million in just one session of jackpots. I've also earned over a billion in loop related points in a single game. Plus you'll earn an extra ball after 50.

Trooper mb is shit points, even with a multiplier. Use the multi balls to score more loops instead of going for jackpots.

You can also tie in modes that benefit from loops, like fear of the dark and rhyme.

2 weeks later
#6803 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Maybe if all loops counted toward the 50 id have an occasional chance but i average about 20 loops and max out in the low 30s.
Im really hoping this is something that gets nerfed a bit for us normal pinball folk. Ive already got R2TH to never achieve thanks.

You can Nerf it in the settings. I had mine at 40 until I started getting it more often. 50 is high IMHO. 40 is more realistic considering jackpot loops don't count. I doubt anyone playing this on route had ever achieved that exb.

#6814 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Sure. If i wanted to cheat. I could also have it set to 5 ball and battle the beast this week but i like to play as intended.
I want the FACTORY setting to be lower lol

Lol. Comparing 40 loops to five ball.

To say factory is always perfect for settings is ridiculous. I have to turn off all xbs on TZ or I tour the door twice per game. Does that make me a god? Hell no. Factory is too easy.

I think IMDN loop setting and Di sim carry over are the only two things I've ever nerfed. IMDN is back to 50 for me, but 40 is a much better factory default for most players.

For the record, I've had games at about 1.5 billion and never battled the beast.

5 ball... Lol. That's funny.

1 week later
#6862 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Looking for advice I really don’t want to throw any mods in my prem looks n plays fantastic as is .I purchased from guy who installed shaker,knocker,PG side art,some insert color on mode tree and 2 spotlights on slings facing center PF.The only thing I’m looking at is if it’s worth the $ fir upgrade on glass and which one fits best with this machine ? Thanks for any input .

Try to get Roman glass if you can find it. Similar price but better glare reduction, and the edges are machined.

#6863 3 years ago

The game still has pretty serious bugs.

#6906 3 years ago

I played the pro and went LE. Way better game with the extras and agree that the lower orb is far better than a target. Trying to build up jackpots is difficult, and accidental hits often waste add-a-balls.

#6989 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I think it’s just exposer .I lived most my life on south side of Chicago and hung out in bars regularly

Not to shit on your unicorn, but you can go to jail for that...

#7011 3 years ago
Quoted from jlock:

I wasn't That Guy but now I am... honestly for me it improved overall enjoyment. It doesn't reduce drains as much as you'd think, but just enough that you can have a great game now and then. Fair warning though it's actually more of a pain to move those posts than I expected.

"You're only cheating yourself"

#7023 3 years ago

If you can hear it, you need to turn it up and install a sub.

#7065 3 years ago

It's definitely difficult, but I find it alone has made me a way better player. Drop catches and dead flips are very important to scoring well. Nudging and trapping up are important as well. The challenge of trapping during mb (staging) is a welcome diversion.

I agree that the later ramp heavy qualifiers are wood choppy.

#7086 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

It’s NOT cheating. You have a $6000 machine at your house that’s making you frustrated and it should never be that way.
Set the difficulty to easy.
Shrink your outlanes.
Lower loops EB from 50 to 25.
Increase the ball save time on all MB’s by 5–0 seconds.
Remember, this game was designed by a former #1 player and with settings on “factory” the game can still be very tough for ALOT of people.
So, don’t feel bad for making the game ENJOYABLE! After you start reaching some of these impossible modes, slowly start to make the game harder again. Enjoy!

That's what I did in school. If a $400 class became too frustrating, I didn't bother with extra homework and preparation. I'd just write the answers on my leg, arm, belly - you name the place, I've written answers there.

Mad Skillz R overrated, bro.

1 month later
#7229 3 years ago

Premium by a long shot. Played both quite a bit. Pro is fun for sure, but the locks, mode starts and left ramp on the premium make the game significantly better.

#7249 3 years ago

Update will be scant. Bug fixes and nothing else, and who knows when.

They need to churn out more games before this monopoly and renaissance ends.

#7284 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Do you know this for a fact?? I thought someone previously indicated that there was more depth coming.
If it turns out to be true then it's a real kick in the balls to Maiden owners

Pure speculation. They are working their teams like crazy. Updates for older games will get pushed back and be less thorough. Just my guess.

1 week later
#7316 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But you only pay the software development cost ONCE. It would pay for itself within the first year, two at the most. It would save all the time spent chasing clipping audio problems on every new title and all of it would sound better overall because all the sources would be properly mixed before being sent to the amplfier and speakers. Transparently.

The answer is not cost. They just don't give a shit. Demand for shit products is high.

Sound engineer: "Gary, we really gotta fix this sound. It's clipping. Listen to this."

Gary: "Are you kidding? These guys would buy it if the only sounds were clipped burps and farts. And I have a tee time in 20. Ship it!"

3 weeks later
#7498 3 years ago
Quoted from Maiden:

Thx for all the tips! The revive spinner is another shot I need to get better at. Does it make sense to take off the glass to practice shots like that? Does anyone do that?
My very first ball after unpacking I got over 400m. Lol, havent been able to duplicate whatever went right there.

The video Robert posted, where he goes for revive until he gets it, shouldn't be a Bible for gameplay. I go for revive when it's not so dangerous eg. Mariner mb, or during ball saves. I've had quite a few games over a billion, and most are due to a combination of mode completions, loop jackpots, and cyborg, all multiplied if possible. I usually have one, maybe two revives per game.

Two biggest boosts for me: practicing loops and paying attention to bonus x targets. The latter is the biggest one. I still catch myself not browsing the targets when trapped up. 3X is the ultimate game changer. Pair it with small loop jackpots and your looking at 5x!

I remember one time having 3x during fear of the dark. Left ramp to activate spinner, right ramp to double value and nailed the revive spinner (which is double) with a smooth shot. 5x spins!

Multipliers are everything when looking at 1 billion+

#7504 3 years ago
Quoted from truthdivides:

For all those wanting to know how to increase your score. Know the rules. I just set my high score on Fear of the Dark. Hit the inner loop for the highest points/spin (500k/spin). Hit the right ramp to double the points/spin (1m/spin). Activate 3x playfield (3m/spin). Hit the revive spinner for double points/spin (6m/spin). I did that series twice and managed to hit the soul shard while 3x was still running.
The score could have been even bigger if I had the 4th tomb treasure active for 5x combos and deathblows (revive spinner is a 3x deathblow), which would have been a 45x deathblow with the 3x playfield active.

What did you do for the rest of the game? Smack posts and drain?

1 week later
#7526 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I know this game doesn't have the flash of/and looks barren compared to JJP's GnR
BUT - dam this is a fun game!!!!!
Probably one of the best playing games currently around.
Was going to trade mine for a GNR but I can't stop playing it

I hear ya. I'm crazy critical of Stern in general, although they are getting somewhat better, but this is the game I play the most and enjoy the most. It's also improved my game drastically as you have to develop technique to do well. Sooooo fun! From what I've seen of gnr, it's a no brainer: IMDN kills it.

#7528 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Too early to tell honestly. I love maiden, one of the best pins I’ve had, and have owned it twice lol. Have had this 2nd one for 2 years as of this month! That said, I think GNR and IMDN are so different from each other, you can’t really compare them. They are both in different leagues of their own.

Agreed. I just prefer the pf design and snappy play of IMDN. I can tell gnr is not for me. So far, DI is the only jjp I'd own, maybe Hobbit if it was cheap.

#7533 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure there will be no code updates aside from adding Wifi. Pretty sure the core code for the game is done.

1 week later
#7565 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I dont get the figures thing. This isnt Monster Bash. The focus isnt the Eddie characters. Maiden is an amazing shooter with basically zero focus on toys or mechs. I feel like all these figures people buy just seem out of place and in some cases just tacky.

I'd clean 'em all out on purchase like I do clown puke. Each 'is own, I suppose.

#7586 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Nov 20 code update? Please please please
Omg if we had the ability to select studio or live versions for all tracks?!?! Holy hell that would be great

Although they've gotten better, remember that this is Stern we're talking about. This game is essentially forgotten, and we'll be lucky, very lucky, if we get a much-needed code update for just bugs.

Gary's padding the pockets and trying to compete with emerging companies right now. IMDN code is the least of his concerns.

1 week later
#7621 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Just take it off and enjoy one of the best games ever.

Yeah, rip that shit off and send it to the landfill.

#7641 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Not being able to change the song between balls - that's the feature I want Keith to bring back!!! It used to be an option.

Yeah, lamest code change for the game. Accidentally changing songs sucks big time. It would be nice if you could turn it off in the service menu.

#7667 3 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

after 5 more games it seems like it is now registering 25% of the time
Im going to tape the receiver of the opto to see if that helps

Don't settle for less than 100%, and don't use the absolutely ridiculous tape method. The issue is misalignment. You're taping off opto bleed. This is not new, and the best fix is to put your machine into switch test mode, loosen the screws on the send side of the opto. Flick your finger past the opto so that you can mimic the failure. Adjust the angle of the opto till it's 100%. Use paper shims to keep the opto in position and tighten. My loop opto was off and it is now 100% after this 20 minute fix.

I've seen opto shims on old w/b games too, and I'm not sure who unfortunately "invented" the silly tape fix, but I guess it's better than buying the mod that does the same thing.

#7671 3 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

I do have the "blinder" mod and It worked great for awhile then it stopped registering
I have the Tape method in place currently and its working 50%-80% of the time
Would the tape and blinder together be effective?
Any other type of alignment adjustments to be made?

Or you could try the method I suggested, the one that ops have been using for decades.

1 week later
#7719 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

How long are home-use owners keeping this bad boy in their collections? Are you feeling like it holds you over long enough, or moving on quickly? Would appreciate any insights as I contemplate a purchase (even if I've only been renting it a few days).
For reference, we currently have MMR, MBR, and GB Pro. MBR likely getting moved in 2021, and not gonna lie I could consider moving GB as well.

Holds up better than anything I've ever owned. Perfect balance of fun vs swearing.

#7735 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So I got IMDN PRO on the first run of release. I sold it after a few months for two reasons 1. the shooter design wasn’t working and pissing me off. 2. I thought I was ready for something new.
After a few months of selling it, I bought another pro NIB. I started having shooter issues again and was tempted to sell again. Then I got it figured out and have had it for over 2 years! It’s such a great to revisit.
That said, if I never got the shooter design dialed in, it would have been gone long ago. It would also be the first game to leave in my current lineup, but there really aren’t any games out there that are worth sacrificing IMDN for.

It's an unfortunate reality, but IMDN requires more maintenance because of the launcher. I find that is worth every bit if adjusting I have to do though.

1 week later
#7785 3 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

To each their own. Iron Maiden is one of the few titles where I would take the pro over the premium all day.

I've played both a lot. The only thing the pro has to offer is better use of the right orbit. That's it. Prem/LE is waaaaay better. That being said, I'll still play the pro and have fun.

#7877 3 years ago

Premium/LE update:

V1.08.0 - December 22nd, 2020
=============================
* NOTE * - Upgrading to this version of software will reset all High Score tables, Audits, and Adjustments. Any potential future updates will retain these settings.
- Flight of Icarus - all mode display videos updated and sound effects adjusted
- Flight of Icarus - added value needed to qualify Soul Shard on the background display effect
- Flight of Icarus - upper beacon in back right corner will pulse when the Soul Shard is qualified
- Flight of Icarus - added speech for qualifying Soul Shard
- Flight of Icarus - added bailout shot at Bullseye when you qualify Soul Shard, continue to build value at Ramps or shoot Bullseye to advance to Soul Shard Hurry Up
- Revive - all display videos updated and sound effects adjusted
- Revive - spinner value is boosted when Revive is maxed out (both outlane saves already lit, +150k/spin)
- Revive - added new display effect to show number of spins left for next letter
- Revive - added new display effect for 'Revive Maxed' to show the value of the maxed spin building
- Revive - added Left Spinner Flasher light pulse when Revive is Maxed
- Revive - added speech calls as each letter in R-E-V-I-V-E is collected
- Revive - added a variety of speech calls when Revive is collected
- Revive - added light show when each letter is collected
- Revive - added more generous handling when in a multiball and a ball drains down the outlane when Revive is lit during ball saver grace periods
- Revive - letter collect and Revive collect display effects now made full screen
- Cyborg Multiball - all display videos updated
- Cyborg Multiball - added Cyborg Jackpot display effect and sound effects
- Cyborg Multiball - Cyborg Jackpot display effect now made full screen
- Cyborg Multiball - added 10 second grace period time ran out speech
- Two Minutes To Midnight - Super Jackpot display effect now made full screen
- Aces High - added a kill tracker to the background display effect to track 'Aces High Air Ace'
- Aces High - improved Soul Shard detection logic
- Aces High - Super Jackpot display effect has been made full screen
- Aces High - added sound effects to the total screen
- Aces High - fixed an issue with display effects that get queued up during a grace period award carrying over to next Aces High mode
- Fear of the Dark - added spinner combo (Right Spinner -> Left Spinner will cause Left Spinner to score 4x instead of 2x)
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner - improved Soul Shard detection logic
- Hallowed Be Thy Name - adjusted text awards to cover up less of Eddie's face
- Battle Modes - Eddie letter hard difficulty (Left Ramp / Right Ramp) replaced with random shots that move around when collected
- Battle Modes - changed Eddie letter collect sound effect
- Battle Modes - added Eddie letter collect light show flash
- Battle Modes - fixed an issue where the Eddie letter collect arrow would not flash red every time
- Battle Modes - mini loop is now always lit for an Eddie letter collection during spellout phase
- Battle Modes - adding a variety of mode failed speech for Eddie modes that don't result in a collected Soul Shard
- Battle Modes - all mode start and total display effects have been made full screen
- Battle Modes - all modes now award 500K just by starting them
- Skill Shots - all display effects have been made full screen
- Sarcophagus Lock - display effect has been made full screen
- Mummy Multiball - fixed an issue where the total screen could get into a endless state causing timed modes to continue forever
- Mummy Multiball - Super Jackpot display effect has been made full screen
- Trooper Locks - display effect has been made full screen
- Trooper Locks - sound effects have been updated
- Trooper Multiball - fixed an issue where Super Jackpots were not being seen because of lower priority
- Trooper Multiball - Super Jackpot display effect has been made full screen
- Trooper Multiball - added a start mode light show
- Soul Shard - fixed an issue where Soul Shard Collect Awards were not being seen because of lower priority
- Soul Shard - fixed an issue where Soul Shard drain out on final ball would result in Soul Shard background showing up in Attract mode
- Soul Shard - award display effect has been made full screen
- Soul Shard - added Hurry Up fail speech
- Tomb Award - display effect has now been made full screen
- Number of the Beast - improved Tilt Warning and Tilt handling
- Run to the Hills - allow players to get to Run to the Hills more than once in a game
- Loop Jackpots - hitting mini loop during Loop Jackpot round will reset the timer based on new default for 'LOOP JACKPOT TIMER BOOST' adjustment being 'RESET TIMER'
- Death Blow - added a timer for death blows, light effect on upper right flipper flasher to indicate they are available
- Mystery - added callouts for qualifying Orb and collecting Orb awards
- High Score Tables - fixed bug in forward navigation of the Obelisk, was skipping a page
- Pop Bumpers - pop bumper light show improvements
- General Illumination - left pop bumper flasher now behaves as the rest of GI when not being used
- Outlane Drain - added more variety on speech calls
- Last Ball Outlane Drain - adding Beast display effect to last ball drain
- Last Ball Outlane Drain - adding new Beast callouts to last ball drain speech
- Bonus - added a bonus lightshow
- Bonus - changed bonus X sound effect
- Bonus - bonus X countup is now faster
- Bonus - move music fade out from when Bonus meltdown starts to when Bonus screen comes up
- Game Mode Menu - added Game Mode Menu accessed by holding both flippers, options are Normal Game, Competition, and DJ Mixer (note: DJ Mixer only available in Free Play)
- DJ Mixer - select this option from the Game Mode Menu to listen to all 12 Iron Maiden songs in their entirety (Free Play Only)
- Extra Ball - display effect has been made full screen
- Extra Ball Lit - display effect has been made full screen
- Replay - adding sound effects and speech
- Tilt - speech for Tilt now has a higher percentage chance of insulting the player
- Song Select - after Bonus countup fade make sure the attenuation isn't reset until the Song Select is started again so that a blip of the previous song isn't heard
- Song Select - fix an issue where adding credits during Song Select would dismiss the screen and not bring it back
- Attract - adding pricing information to lower left corner of Attract screens
- Attract - updated Legacy of the Beast tour dates
- Switch Test - fixing an issue where you can hear a plunge sound effect during Switch Test
- Startup - added custom Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast graphic

- Adjustment Changes:
- added 'DJ MIXER BACKGROUND' - default: RANDOM - randomly chooses 1 of 6 background types to play for the DJ Mixer session, change this to lock in your favorite
- added 'POP BUMPER POWER' - default: 32 (min: 8 / max: 32)
- added 'DROP TARGET BANK RESET POWER' - default: 64 (min: 35 / max: 64)
- added 'SONG SELECT EVERY BALL' - default: YES - set to NO to only see Song Selection screen on the first ball
- added 'START GAME FROM LOCKDOWN BUTTON' - default: NO - set to YES to start a game from the lockdown button if your game is modified to have one
- changed 'LOOP JACKPOT TIMER BOOST' - default: 'RESET TIMER' which resets the timer for mini loops (min: 0 = no timer boost / max: 10)
- changed 'LEFT FLIPPER POWER' - default: 240 (min: 100 / max: 255) - removed preset SOFT / NORMAL / HARD
- changed 'RIGHT FLIPPER POWER' - default: 250 (min: 100 / max: 255) - removed preset SOFT / NORMAL / HARD
- changed 'UPPER LEFT FLIPPER POWER' - default: 190 (min: 100 / max: 255) - removed preset SOFT / NORMAL / HARD
- changed 'UPPER RIGHT FLIPPER POWER' - default: 225 (min: 100 / max: 255) - removed preset SOFT / NORMAL / HARD
- changed 'LOOPS TO AWARD EXTRA BALL' - default: from 50 to 30 (min: 20 / max: 60)
- 'ADD-A-BALL BALL SAVE TIMER' - minimum changed from 2 to 5
- 'ACES HIGH BALL SAVE TIME' - minimum changed from 2 to 5
- 'RIME/MARINER BALL SAVE TIME' - minimum changed from 2 to 8
- 'CYBORG MULTIBALL BALL SAVE TIME' - minimum changed from 2 to 12
- 'TROOPER MULTIBALL BALL SAVE TIME' - minimum changed from 2 to 8
- 'MUMMY MULTIBALL BALL SAVE TIME' - minimum changed from 2 to 8
- 'TROUGH EJECT POWER' - minimum changed from 176 to 64

- System - Updated to V2.64
- Updated to nodeboard firmware v0.65.0

- When starting a game ramp the backbox GI from "ATTRACT MODE B.BOX BRIGHTNESS" to
"GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS".
- When ending a game ramp the backbox GI from "GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS" to
"ATTRACT MODE B.BOX BRIGHTNESS".

- New Standard Adjustment "START BUTTON ATTRACT MODE ILLUM."
This adjustment, which is only available and active when the game is in FREE PLAY mode, controls
the behavior of the Start Button Light.
Values are:
"ALWAYS OFF" - Start Button Light is always off when in attract mode.
"BLINKING" - Start Button Light will blink when in attract mode. This is the DEFAULT and previous behavior.
"ALWAYS ON" - Start Button Light is always on when in attract mode.

- Update TARGET_GAME_TIME adjustment to ensure a minimal ballsaver even after
the target game time is met.

- Do not display LOCATING NODE BOARD at boot when coin door interlock switch
has disabled node board power.

- Improve backbox and cabinet audio synchronization.

- Update the HSTD reset counter when the Standard Adjustment is changed.

- Added TARGET_GAME_TIME adjustment, accessible when the BALL_SAVE_TIME
adjustment is enabled.
TARGET_GAME_TIME enables a multi-use ball saver, whose duration is
dynamically calculated for each ball to help ensure the player has
a guaranteed amount of play time per game.
TARGET_GAME_TIME has a range of 1m 30s to 3m 00s and defaults to
NO_TARGET_TIME (disabled).
When disabled a traditional single-use BALL_SAVE_TIME ball saver will be
used for each ball in play.
When enabled the first ball of play will have a multi-use ball saver of
BALL_SAVE_TIME sec. The second ball will have a multi-use ball saver
which is 25% of (TARGET_GAME_TIME - player_game_time).
The third and beyond will have a multi-use ball saver which is 50% of
(TARGET_GAME_TIME - player_game_time).

- Rename Util->Volume->Speaker Balance to Speaker Fade. This adjusts the volume
levels of the cabinet (front) and backbox (back) speakers. The term Balance
was misleading and implied adjusting the level of the left and right backbox speakers.

- Added UTIL->VOL Adjustment "SELECT AUDIO FILTER". Values are:
"NONE", "HIGH/LOW SHELF", and "10 BAND EQ". Default value is "HIGH/LOW SHELF".
"NONE": No filtering will be performed on the audio output. Useful when using
the Line Out as input for an external device.
"HIGH/LOW SHELF": A High/Low Shelf Filter is applied to the audio output.
The Bass Frequency can be set to: 125Hz, 250Hz, or Disabled.
The Treble Frequency can be set to: 4KHz, 8KHz, or Disabled.
The Gain can be set to -12dB .. +12dB
On Spike 2 the Shelf Frequency and Gain can be set independently for the BackBox and Cabinet speakers.
"10 BAND EQ": A full 10 Band EQ is applied to the audio output.
Sliders are used to adjust the Gain of a specific range of frequencies.
The Frequencies are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz, 4KHz, 8KHz, 16KHz.
The Gain curve has a 60dB dynamic range across the -120 .. +120 Slider settings.
On Spike2 the Gain can be set independently for the BackBox and Cabinet speakers.

- Allow the knocker sound effect to play completely when a replay is
awarded during the last ball bonus and ensure the normal game
volume is restored.

- Added Standard Adjustment "MAX PLAYERS PER GAME". Values are 1 to 4,
with a default setting of 4. This can be used to limit the number
of players that can be added to a game.

- Added Service Menu selection UTIL->ENDGAME. This selection is only available
when there is an active game. When selected the operator will be prompted
to confirm that they wish to end the current game. Once confirmed and upon
exiting the Service Menu, the game will be in attract mode.

- Added Standard Adjustment "ALLOW LEFT+START TO END GAME". Values are:
"NEVER", "FREE PLAY ONLY", and "ALWAYS". Default value is "NEVER".
During an active game, if the LEFT FLIPPER+START BUTTONs are held for
two seconds, the game will be ended.

- Added Standard Audit "TOTAL PLAYS ENDED", which will track the number of times
a game is ended via the Service Menu or FLIPPER+START BUTTONs.

- Added Standard Adjustment "CREDIT FORMAT". Values are:
"ACTUAL FRACTION" and "REDUCED FRACTION". Default value is "REDUCED FRACTION".
For a USA coindoor when inserting three quarters:
"REDUCED FRACTION" would display "1/4", "1/2", "3/4"
"ACTUAL FRACTION" would display "1/4", "2/4", "3/4"

- Update Italian translation of "ENTER INITIALS" to "INSERISCI LE TUE INIZIALI"

- Coin door interlock switch support for Spike2.

- Updated instructions for RESTORE SETTINGS.

- Reordered items in UTIL->VOL, moved CABINET SPEAKER TYPE to be after
BACKBOX SPEAKER TYPE.

- Added UTIL->RESET->VOL which will reset all audio settings to their
default values.

- Append (MAX) to the credit message if the number of credits equals
the CREDIT LIMIT adjustment.

- Updated Custom Pricing Editor to display Pricing Format description in the
title area when it is being edited.

- Added Standard Adjustment #57 "PRICING FORMAT". Values are:
"STANDARD", "MINIMAL", "STD W/ MONETARY SYMBOL", and "MIN W/ MONETARY SYMBOL".

"MINIMAL" will replace consecutive identical coin/credit increments with "..".

"MONETARY SYMBOL" will add the leading or trail monetary symbol appropriate
for the currency is use. For CUSTOM PRICING this can be TOKEN, COIN, SWIPE,
or TAP.

USA 13 (as opposed to the current active GAME PRICING) is used to demonstrate
the effects of the different options in the Service Menu as there is a
difference between STANDARD and MINIMAL formatting. (and there may not be in the current
active pricing).

STANDARD - USA 13 would be formatted as: 1/1.00 2/2.00 3/3.00 4/4.00 7/5.00
- USA 7 would be formatted as: 1/0.50 2/1.00 4/1.50 6/2.00

MINIMAL - USA 13 would be formatted as: 1/1.00 .. 7/5.00
- USA 7 would be formatted as: 1/0.50 .. 4/1.50 6/2.00

STD W/ MONETARY SYMBOL - USA 13 would be formatted as: 1/$1.00 2/$2.00 3/$3.00 4/$4.00 7/$5.00
- USA 7 would be formatted as: 1/$0.50 2/$1.00 4/$1.50 6/$2.00

MIN W/ MONETARY SYMBOL - USA 13 would be formatted as: 1/$1.00 .. 7/$5.00
- USA 7 would be formatted as: 1/$0.50 .. 4/$1.50 6/$2.00

- Updated Custom Pricing Editor to display using Pricing Format. Use <BACK and NEXT>
to select the pricing and EDIT to change the Pricing Format. The
Pricing Format adjustment will also be updated upon EXIT.

- Updated TechAlert switch numbering to be consistent with the game manuals.

- Updated Custom Pricing Editor - Uses button navigation to select and edit
fields. Use <BACK and NEXT> to select the "CREDIT" or "AT:" field and
EDIT to change their value. RESET has the options of setting the
custom price to the FACTORY default or CURRENT pricing as a starting
point for creating the custom price. RESET can also CLEAR the custom price
to create one from scratch. Use EXIT to save and install the custom
price. Added support to specify money format descriptions for: country
monetary symbol ("$", "EUR", etc), "TOKEN", "COIN", and "SWIPE".

- Updated Custom Coin Door Editor - RESET has the options of setting the
custom coin door to the FACTORY default or CURRENT settings as a starting
point for creating the custom coin door. RESET can also CLEAR the custom
coin door to create one from scratch. Added error message when attempting
to EXIT when the custom coin door is not valid (UNITS PER PULSE is zero or
all coin switches have zero PULSES set).

- Updated Pricing Table:
Standard Euro Coin Door now configured as:
"10 units per pulse, Left 5, Center 10, Right 20, 4th 2, 5th 0, 6th 0"
Italian Euro Coin Door now configured as:
"10 units per pulse, Left 5, Center 1, Right 5, 4th 1, 5th 0, 6th 0"

Updated Australia 5 from "1/$2.00, 2/$5.00, 5/$10.00 AU" to "1/$2.00 AU, 2/$3.00 AU"
Removed Australia 7 "1/$2.00, 3/$4.00, 4/$5.00 AU"

Removed Italy 1 "1/EUR 0.50"
Removed Italy 2 "1/EUR 1.00, 3/EUR 2.00"

Added New Zealand 3 "1/$2 NZ, 2/$3 NZ"

Updated Switzerland 2 from "1/1 SwF, 3/2 SwF, 5/3 SwF, 7/4 SwF, 9/5 SwF" to "1/2 SwF, 2/4 SwF, 3/5 SwF"
Removed Switzerland 3 "1/2 SwF, 3/5 SwF"

Updated UK 1 from "3/1.00 GBP, 7/2.00 GBP" to "1/2.00 GBP"
Updated UK 2 from "4/1.00 GBP" to "1/1.00 GBP"
Removed UK 6 "3/2.00 GBP"

Removed Portugal "1/EUR 0.50"

Removed Germany 1 "1/EUR 0.50"
Removed Germany 2 "1/EUR 0.50, 2/EUR 1.00, 3/EUR 1.50, 5/EUR 2.00"
Removed Germany 3 "1/EUR 0.50, 2/EUR 1.00, 3/EUR 1.50, 6/EUR 2.00"

Removed Euro 4 "1/EUR 0.50, 2/EUR 1.00, 3/EUR 1.50, 6/EUR 2.00"
Removed Euro 5 "1/EUR 0.50, 3/EUR 1.00, 4/EUR 1.50, 7/EUR 2.00"
Removed Euro 6 "2/EUR 0.50"
Renamed Euro 7 to Euro 4 "1/EUR 1.00, 2/EUR 2.00, 3/EUR 3.00, 5/EUR 4.00"
Renamed Euro 8 to Euro 5 "1/EUR 1.00, 3/EUR 2.00"
Renamed Euro 9 to Euro 6 "1/EUR 1.00, 2/EUR 1.50, 3/EUR 2.00"
Renamed Euro 10 to Euro 7 "1/EUR 1.00, 3/EUR 2.00, 7/EUR 3.00"
Renamed Euro 11 to Euro 8 "1/EUR 1.00, 4/EUR 2.00"
Renamed Euro 12 to Euro 9 "2/EUR 1.00, 4/EUR 2.00, 6/EUR 3.00, 9/EUR 4.00"

Removed USA 4 "1/$0.50" "25 units per pulse, Left 1, Center 1, Right 1, 4th 1, 5th 0, 6th 0"
Removed USA 6 "1/$0.50" "25 units per pulse, Left 1, Center 6, Right 1, 4th 1, 5th 0, 6th 0"
NOTE: USA 3 "1/$0.50" "25 units per pulse, Left 1, Center 4, Right 1, 4th 1, 5th 0, 6th 0" remains unchanged

Updated Austria default pricing to Euro 5
Updated Belgium default pricing to Euro 5
Updated Finland default pricing to Euro 5
Updated France default pricing to Euro 7
Updated Germany default pricing to Euro 2 and Euro Coin Door
Updated Greece default pricing to Euro 5
Updated Italy default pricing to Euro 5 and Euro Coin Door
Updated Netherlands default pricing to Euro 5
Updated Portugal default pricing to Euro 1 and Euro Coin Door
Updated Spain default pricing to Euro 5
Updated Switzerland default pricing to Switzerland 1

- Added UTIL->SAVE and UTIL->LOAD which save and restore all game settings to/from a USB thumbdrive.
When restoring the settings to the SAME MACHINE, you can choose to restore:
"RESTORE ALL SETTINGS"
"RESTORE ALL ADJUSTMENTS"
"RESTORE ONLY STD ADJUSTMENTS"
"RESTORE ONLY HIGH SCORES"
"RESTORE ONLY AUDITS"

When using the saved settings with another machine of the SAME TITLE and MODEL (for example
settings file created on a DeadPool Pro and restoring to a different DeadPool Pro)
you can choose to restore:
"RESTORE ALL ADJUSTMENTS"

When using the saved settings with another machine of a DIFFERENT TITLE or MODEL (for example
settings file created on a DeadPool Pro and restoring to a Munsters Pro)
you can only choose to restore:

"RESTORE ALL ADJUSTMENTS" will restore the Standard Adjustments listed below and
all Feature Adjustments.

"RESTORE ONLY STD ADJUSTMENTS" will restore the following Standard Adjustments:
Custom Message
Custom Pricing
Custom Coin Door
"REPLAY TYPE"
"REPLAY PERCENTAGE"
"REPLAY AWARD"
"REPLAY LEVELS"
"REPLAY BOOST"
"SPECIAL LIMIT"
"SPECIAL AWARD"
"SPECIAL PERCENTAGE"
"FREE GAME LIMIT"
"EXTRA BALL LIMIT"
"EXTRA BALL PERCENTAGE"
"GAME PRICING"
"MATCH AWARD"
"MATCH PERCENTAGE"
"BALLS PER GAME"
"TILT WARNINGS"
"TILT DEBOUNCE"
"CREDIT LIMIT"
"FREE PLAY"
"KNOCKER VOLUME"
"START GAME ON CREDIT"
"GAME RESTART"
"TIMED PLUNGER"
"FLIPPER BALL LAUNCH"
"COINDOOR BALL SAVER"
"COMPETITION MODE"
"CONSOLATION BALL"
"PLAYER COMPETITION"
"TEAM SCORES"
"ALLOW HIGH SCORES"
"HIGH SCORE AWARD"
"GRAND CHAMPION AWARDS"
"HIGH SCORE #1 AWARDS"
"HIGH SCORE #2 AWARDS"
"HIGH SCORE #3 AWARDS"
"HIGH SCORE #4 AWARDS"
"HSTD INITIALS"
"HSTD RESET COUNT"
"COIN INPUT DELAY"
"LOST BALL RECOVERY"
"COIN DOOR DISABLE TILT"
"TIME FORMAT"
"PRICING FORMAT"
"FAST BOOT"
"LANGUAGE"
"PLAYER LANGUAGE SELECT"
"PLAY ATTRACT TUTORIAL VIDEOS"
"ATTRACT MODE B.BOX BRIGHTNESS"
"GAME PLAY B.BOX BRIGHTNESS"
"SERVICE MENU B.BOX BRIGHTNESS"

- Games will now persist ALL SETTINGS after a software update. This functionality will be available
in the game release AFTER the release which uses system 2.24.

- Correct the delay between multiple Q24 knocker requests. Previously the
knocks would happen too rapidly and sound like a single loud knock. Now
there will be a 3/4 second delay between knocks. If the sound effect
knocker is also enabled, it will be synchronized with the Q24 knocker.

- Updated COIN DOOR EDITOR to display the selected settings and whether they
are the FACTORY default or CUSTOM configuration.

- Added Custom Coin Door Editor.
You can specify the UNITS PER PULSE for the base coin and the number of PULSES
generated by each coin switch (left, center, right, 4th, 5th, 6th). The
UNITS have a range of 1 to 10000 and PULSES have a range of 0 to 100. For
example the USA coin door has a UNIT of 25 and the left and right slots
generate 1 PULSE and the center slot (the DBV) generates four PULSES. The
coin mechanisms accept quarters and the DBV dollars. Therefore, the UNIT is
25 (for 25 cents) and the left and right generate 1 PULSE for a single quarter
and the center slot generates 4 PULSES for a dollar bill being four quarters.
If Standard Adjustment "Game Pricing" is changed to a selection with different
UNITS PER PULSE than the active CUSTOM coin door, the custom coin door will
be reset to the factory default for that Game Pricing selection.

- Added system adjustment for Spike 2 games when a headphone kit is installed:
"MUTE KNOCKER IF HP DETECTED" - will not play replay knocker sound when
headphones are in use. Default value is NO (not muted).
"DISABLE Q24 KNOCK IF HP DETECTED" - will not fire Q24 knocker coil when
headphones are in use. Default value is NO (not disabled).

- DIAG->NODE->BRD->Overcurrent Test now displays Drive/Coil and Light/LED
description instead of device address.

#7878 3 years ago

My Faves:

- Fear of the Dark - added spinner combo (Right Spinner -> Left Spinner will cause Left Spinner to score 4x instead of 2x)
- Battle Modes - Eddie letter hard difficulty (Left Ramp / Right Ramp) replaced with random shots that move around when collected
- Battle Modes - mini loop is now always lit for an Eddie letter collection during spellout phase
- Loop Jackpots - hitting mini loop during Loop Jackpot round will reset the timer based on new default for 'LOOP JACKPOT TIMER BOOST' adjustment being 'RESET TIMER'
- DJ Mixer - select this option from the Game Mode Menu to listen to all 12 Iron Maiden songs in their entirety (Free Play Only)
- Tilt - speech for Tilt now has a higher percentage chance of insulting the player
- added 'SONG SELECT EVERY BALL' - default: YES - set to NO to only see Song Selection screen on the first ball YES YES YES YES YES YES!

- Run to the Hills - allow players to get to Run to the Hills more than once in a game
Um... YEAH RIGHT!

#7944 3 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

Put a big dab of solder on the bottom of the bulb. Grind it down flat just so you can turn the bulb in place, it should fit snugly. Then there will be a downward pressure against the spring and socket.

Or just pull the spring to stretch it....

#7963 3 years ago

You need to stretch the spring way more than you think, but be sure to press against the base of it or you'll rip it out. I also rough up the spring, bulb and socket clip points with a mini file to assure a good connection.

Stern's Chinese pot metal doesn't help...

#8050 3 years ago

Finally updated. Love the new code.

Biggest noticable changes:

1. Eddie letters for mini loop. Absolutely awesome. I'm a loop addict.

2. Loop extra ball down to 30. I found 50 loops for xb too high, so I adjusted to 40. Now 30 is too low Lol. Keith: if there is another update, please consider raising the default to 40. It's the sweet spot for difficulty. EDIT: Sounds like others think 30 is still tough, so leave it!

3. Icarus visuals. I bitched about these after release. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

4. Bonus visuals, sounds and lights. Awesome!

5. More insults from the devil. YES!!!!!!! just when I thought I couldn't swear at this game more. The callouts and voice acting in this game is rarely talked about. They are so damned good.

Thanks to the entire team working on this game. It truly is a masterpiece. I was already playing this game more than any other. Now it's just crazy addictive, even after owning it for a long time.

#8054 3 years ago

I guess I'm a little loopy.

I'll edit my post. Sounds like 30 is the better number.

#8072 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I'll give it a try thanks. Revive spinner is probably my worst shot tho however. I'll practice it more. When I usually hit it it's not going through with authority so the spinner don't spin enough. Weakest shot for sure. Both ramps, center ramp, orbits I'm pretty good. Think I'll snug up the outlanes as well

I don't bother focusing so much on revive. After Robert posted his YouTube video, it has influenced a lot of players to focus on it too much.

You should go for revive, but only at strategic moments when other important shots are not lit. During ball save is a good strategy, especially if you need the pop bumper X. During some MBs is good too.

I find loops to be more beneficial as they lead to an extra ball. I get revive usually only once per game and average scores over 500 mil. If I focus too much on revive, goodbye extra ball and hello drain.

#8123 3 years ago

After discussing the loop limit being lowered, I decided to make a video of my loop strategy. This might help you get up to 30 and beyond.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-loop-strategy#post-6050535

Enjoy!

#8128 3 years ago

There were so few LEs shipped to Canada, that would be worth the trip! I think we only got 10 or something stupid. I don't think the US games got the tournament button either. But does anyone even use those buttons?

#8134 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Hook it up! Even if you don’t start a tournament mode, there’s a little surprise when you press the button (on IMDN).

Lol. That's funny. I've never pressed the button.

#8173 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Does anyone else have a problem with the ramps where if you hit them perfectly and fast, the ball goes so fast that it flies out of the ramp, hits the glass, and drains over the flippers? Seems to happen now frequently than it should.... it happens on other games, but not very often compared to this one.

Raise your pitch. Cranked pitch=more fun in a home environment anyway imho.

#8182 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

What pitch do you keep yours at out of curiosity? I'm about 7.2.

My rear bolts only show 2 or 3 threads on top. Front are as low as the floor will allow. That's how all my machines are set up. Steep and fast as shit flying out of a rabbit's ass.

#8199 3 years ago

The only song that is unforgivable is"Can I play With Your Penis." All the other songs are great. Replacing the songs is silly as they match modes.

#8203 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Awww c’mon....haha its a good song...The one thing I find funny about ‘can I play with madness’ is its similarities to the Go Go’s ‘our lips are sealed’. It’s basically the same song. Once you hear it, you can’t un-hear it haha.

The lyrics sound like they were written by a 12 year old. It's such an awful song. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard. Seriously. All the other songs are great though.

1 week later
#8247 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m coming up to a year in this hobby. I now have 3 pins and IMDN is my precious .I have had big scores but for the life of me I cannot play a controlled game I still just want to flip on the fly .I completly understand the code now and know what to do .I somewhat got the nudging down but for the life of me cannot play control pinball .I have a brain block with cradling and playing precision pinball especially during multi balls when the ball save expires .I just can’t break through I have no idea what it is .Any help with this would be greatly appreciated .As always ...UP THE IRONS!!

The issue is the style of game you've chosen. Keith designes trap and shoot games, and you sound like you're still in the free-flow stage of playing. I would embrace this stage of your development as it is soooo much fun! Old W/B games are perfect for you. The absolute best game to learn on is TAF. Second would be TZ. Third would be a tie between AFM and MB. These games were designed for players like you, and you will likely love them. IMDN wasn't deisgned for that type of play. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy IMDN, but learning ball control takes years. It also takes away from the magic of free-flow play IMHO.

#8266 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I've seen this mentioned a few times. Can anyone confirm that it makes a significant difference? That noise really drives me nuts and takes me out of the game, especially at lower volumes late at night. Does anyone have pics of it installed? I found a small quantity of Dynamat on Amazon which I believe is the higher end one. There is also Kilmat for $60 which looks similar, probably enough for 100 machines. I'd consider taking one for the team and shipping out enough to do a game.

You need to be at one with the beast at all hours. Crank that shit and the thump will never be heard again!

2 weeks later
#8416 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yes, the ball triggers the switch as it should.
It seems the issue has moved to the mummy lock now. The game doesn’t realize a ball is in the mummy lock so it either drops it into the VUK underworld or it keeps it in the mummy lock until it goes into a ball search... it’s not holding the ball like it should.
I’m going to try what others have suggested and replace the bent arm switches with roll over switches and see if that fixes the issue.

I just modded my problem switch trigger, which was way easier.

1 month later
#8516 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Is Stern still producing Iron Maidens?

I heard no, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

2 months later
#8733 2 years ago

Installing pinstadiums is like a filmmaker only using sitcom lighting: you lose all the beautiful nuances of the lighting in the game.

1 week later
#8765 2 years ago
Quoted from bigchief99:

Hello all. Looking for some help. I have had my Iron Maiden LE for about 8 months, pretty much trouble free. The last few plays I noticed the "newton ball" in front of the spell mummy area looked like the ball was raised a little. I removed the glass and looked under the playfield and it looks like the metal ball is a little unscrewed. I played a game tonight and while hitting the ball it wasn't registering when I was hitting it while playing all of a sudden. Another weird thing (not all the time) I noticed when the ball goes up the left ramp and into the sarcophagus that sometimes it registers, sometimes it does not. Sometimes the ball sits behind the newton ball and does a ball search and it dumps it back to the under playfield and shoots it out under the center metal ramp.
Has anyone had this problem? Is there an adjustment for the newton ball? Is there an opto. No tech alerts. Can someone take a clear picture of the newton ball on their machine. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
I will upload some pictures in a few days.

Your Newton ball needs adjusting, likely both topside and underside. Adjust the rod and cup underneath while in switch edges test mode. I use a TINY bit of bearing grease topside to stop the Newton balls from sticking. This also stops the Chinese pot metal on the pf from grinding.

The sarcophagus issue is a switch issue discussed many times. Most replace problem switches with roller switches. I just modded the actuator. You can see it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/37#post-4840269

Both of these issues have been widely discussed, albeit moreso in the issues thread.

1 week later
#8788 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I would try hammering it down a bit in the middle before breaking out the file. It shouldn't take much.

Agreed. Don't file the chrome.

#8798 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Yeah I can feel it. The ball is able to rest on it if it isn’t moving at speed. It’s been welded slightly above the bottom rail giving the ball a nice launching point when hit.

Remove the wire form and sit the problem wire perpendicular across a vice that is open as wide as the support rails holding the problem wire in place. Use any kind of blunt punch to smack a bend into the problem wire.

Add protection (shop towel) to the vice and the punch to avoid scratching the chrome.

This is a 15-20 minute job.

Using a file is not good advice.

1 week later
#8852 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I can’t believe sometimes when a small part drops how it disappears into thin air.I dropped the auto plunge spring .Can’t find it anywhere and not wasting anymore time looking .Does anyone know if it’s a common spring I can pick up at the hardware store or is it something i need to order ?

You're not swearing enough while you search. You have to progressively get louder as you swear as well. Progress from the s-h word all the way to the C word. Try mixing them all together into a shit-storm of profanity. Louder and louder, like you really mean it, with an almost mournful rage of desperation in your voice. Then, and only then, will the pin-gnomes be satisfied.

#8874 2 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPapaBear:

Hello everyone! New to Pinside here.
Have always wanted to own a pinball table, and back in October that dream became a reality when I purchased my first table Iron Maiden Premium.
Absolutely love the machine and couldn't be happier with my purchase. Always loved metals bands so when picking out a table this theme was an easy choice. Having 12 songs for variety while playing is really nice as well.
Also love the challenge of the game. I'm still pretty a pinball rookie. Most of experience with pinball was in the arcades in the 90s, but now that I own a pinball table I'm trying to work on improving my skills, such as trying to get better and consistently getting the balls up the ramps.
Looking forward to getting to know folks here and learning!

Watch the papa Bowen instructional YouTube videos if you haven't. He's been sooo helpful to me game. Welcome!

1 week later
#8940 2 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I shopped out my IMDN last night and closed the left outlane, and put the right outlane in the middle.
Later, I put up an insane new high score.
Was able to collect 3 Eddie cards and reach 2m2m.
I got around 8 achievement high scores as well.
[quoted image]

Just put an old gym sock behind the flippers. Guaranteed run to the hills every game!

2 weeks later
#9038 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Had a 350M first ball going (with an extra ball, this is good for me) and I got a freaking airball over the sling to outlane (hitting glass on the way).
Naturally I rounded out the last three balls with another big 2M, this game seems to have a way about doing that to me.
I think the airball was generated from slings but happened so fast not sure.

That's why digital pinball will never be fun. Sometimes a real ball rips you off. Sometimes you get a Lazarus. All part of the magic that makes you laugh, cry, and spit-swear.

1 month later
#9210 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Can any one help clarify or help with the Super Skill Shot? My understanding is you plunge just strong enough to roll back to the upper left flipper, then shoot the super jackpot target. I have read conflicting info whether or not you need to hold the left flipper button while doing this. Mine will not register it either way. I have also tried the MXV, hitting the inner loop before the SJ target, and no go there either. Every other skill shot seems to work, and all switches test fine. I have done it manually, so I know I am not missing or hitting anything else between the orbit entry opto and the SJ target. I have even tried giving the spinner a small spin between in case it needs that to register that it fed the upper left flipper. Nothing seems to trigger the Super Skill Shot. By any chance was it removed from the latest code? I reset factory settings after I got the machine, and I have have gone through the options, without finding anything that would turn it off.
Regular skill shot works, plunge to outlane or inlane works, the left flipper up full plunge to orb works, etc. But no SSS. Any help with this mystery is appreciated. Thanks!

If you're doing it exactly as mentioned above, you likely have an opto not seeing the ball or a switch issue triggering points before you complete the skill shot. Switch edges test mode is your friend here.

#9218 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

The more difficult the better if it’s going to last. This and JAWS is a dream theme for me.

Be prepared to spit-swear at the fucking devil!

1 week later
#9327 2 years ago

Just like a meth addict, you feel a little better when you see someone else just getting started. You feel less alone....

8ba0e389ecf66b74f2be5db4c0bb9f24449e7e25 (resized).jpg8ba0e389ecf66b74f2be5db4c0bb9f24449e7e25 (resized).jpg

#9372 2 years ago

Please make use of the search function. This has been covered many, many times.

Quoted from ExSquid:

The “ pole/screw “ thing that goes into the ball? I tightened that up all the way. Same thing is still happening .

#9378 2 years ago

The word, "please" means I'm politely suggesting that new members make use of the search function to avoid cluttering threads.

I was told this, and I'm glad I was. I now make good use of the search function. If you don't like constructive criticism ....

#9446 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Left the club today...just time to move on.
[quoted image]

Yeah, I had to move on too...

Just kidding. That's bat-shit crazy talk.

#9479 2 years ago
Quoted from ucsbaviator:

Except for the tendon in my right arm from playing so much…may have to take a break from playing for a few days!

I've had pinball elbow several times. Wear it like a badge!

#9484 2 years ago
Quoted from Gump:

My premium version has this same situation at the top of the right side. It is two pieces that don't meet up correctly. Not sure if I can tweak it or not. Mine doesn't appear as off as yours, so I think you can adjust it somewhat. Since it's not really easy to get to without taking other playfield parts off, I'll probably leave it until I have another reason to get back into that area.

I'm not at my game, but those plastics likely have a slot where they slide-fit on a positioning screw. You can check if you can loosen either screw half a turn and slide either plastic straight. It could also (and most likely) be that the employee on the line didn't put the screw exactly where it should have been. All pins suffer from assembly workers screwing up the details, no pun intended.

#9530 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

Hey gang, did thread search so if I missed an answer to this issue apologies. Ive got a premium Maiden and am having a weird issue with the sarcophagus lock misbehaving. The mechanism just rapidly lowers and raises constantly now during gameplay, eventually it comes to a stop in the fully lowered position. I should mention that previously I was having an issue with it with the sarcophagus ball not always registering a hit to light MUMMY. Had a service call done on it and the tech replaced a faulty part. Things seemed fine but now this raising/lowering is suddenly happening. Anyone else have something like this occur or thoughts on to what the issue may be?

THANK YOU for not being lazy and doing a thread search.

It's probably your front (closest to you) switch in the lock mech. It can stick. Search for rollover switch and you'll find many solutions. You can search my history for my solution. I modded the switch leaf (trigger), which was pretty easy. That stock switch can be a bitch.

#9621 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Phew…. If I have no other choice I’ll try. I’m going to speak with my distributor about this and see where it goes. But In the end long term you’re right. This scares the shit out of me since I’ve never done stuff like this on something this expensive myself.

Easy peasy. Dive in now and get'er done!

3 weeks later
#9806 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I managed to finally hit the super skill shot and it got me wondering about the skill shots in this game. It seems like the obvious choice is to go for the plunge into left outlane every time. The reason I say this is because the orbit skill shots are way too inconsistent, but if you plunge to the left outlane and plunge too hard you have a good chance of hitting the basic skill shot. If you go too soft you land on a flipper and can shoot the other skill shot by hitting the pharaoh target.
I can't think of any reason to go for the super skill shot unless you're really good at it for the playfield bonus.

I go for basic because I hit it 8/10 times. If you miss it, often you can go jump ramp.

1 week later
#9894 2 years ago

I wish the mini loop was also a super. It's far more realistic than the target. That target is crazy tough!

#9903 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I mean, there kind of is...
Hitting the mini loop before the target gets you an instant 3x multiplier. There is something for 2 loops then the target but I don't remember and I've never got it anyway.

Ah, but that's the loop AND the target. That'd be probably less than 1% for me.

#9927 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

it is not about the money, it is that I want to do it myself mostly. It is what I enjoy doing but I also play lots, hehe. In the next little while, I will be soldering 2 bare WPC 89 Power Driver Boards and 2 CPUs for a scratch build I am keeping under wraps once it gets advanced into the build and will post later next year sometime.

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"06006f6166838c078933d159135b63e87cf1709a-1636299716-1800"};
//]]>

I just added my own. Had gels. Just used a little tape. Took 30 mins.

#9972 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Super, super long. Sorry about that everyone--if I had more time, I would have written a shorter post.
Alright folks, my Pro is currently making its way across the US and about half way here. Very excited to join the club! I'm (unfortunately) too detail oriented and have forced my way through the first 100 pages of this thread with tons and tons of notes. (Additionally, I'm going to read through the "issues" thread after I finish this.)
I wanted to ask a few questions now so I can begin making a few purchases. And with that intro...
What are people using to protect their game? I've read about:
1. Cliffy's: I have a set in my TSPP and love it but I know it changes the game shots. For those of you who have installed them, is there a big difference in how it shoots after install? I've also noticed he's including a carbon fiber orbit protector. I'm guessing this is an upgrade from the mylar back there, but was hoping to get additional insight on this as I haven't read anyone installing it through what I've read so far.
2. Upgrading the corner leg brackets. This one seems obviously good. Any downsides?
3. What are people doing to protect their plastics? I see there are a few options and was particularly interested to see what people think are the best. I'm a little shocked that no set seems complete, but I suppose the slings and inlane plastics are the ones that need to most protection.
4. The Pharaoh shot seems to be highly likely to become damaged over time. It would appear the Pharaoh protector from Mezel is the way to go. Any additional thoughts on this?
And now to the aesthetic/euphonic section:
1. PinMonk lens trees seem obvious. Same with moving away from the cool white LEDs to something warmer (either sunlight or warm white).
2. Are the Pharaoh blinder kits that big of an upgrade to the look back there?
3. I still need to read through the external amp and sub thread but this seems like a smart move for a music pin. I'm just having a difficult time understanding the prioritization of (1) external amp, (2) upgrading the original speakers, and (3) an external sub.
4. I think once out of warranty replacing the "noisy" fan is a good move.
5. I realize there are lots of mods and toys that can be added. I'm just going to ask if there is one that *really* seems above and beyond the favorite. So far in the first 100 it seems people like the Anubis mod, the Orb mod, and then affixing various Eddies into the back corner ramp locations.
6. Given where my pins are located I might need to get the headphone jack setup. Are Sterns the only way to go? I think I've read of a few 3rd party ones that have failed fairly quickly.
Finally, the functional section:
1. Seems like a shaker motor is an obvious upgrade and only a few do not care for it. Sounds like the PBL shaker is the play and the Red Tremor is the one to avoid. Anyone who strongly advocates for the Stern shaker?
2. There is a fair amount of dialing in the auto- and manual-plunger but I've read up on all of those different tweaks. Sounds like a fun afternoon.
3. I read that Keith Elwin has the pitch at 7° and other have theirs in the 7.1 - 7.3 range. Additionally, the (typical) lower degrees seem to feel floaty. Correct?
4. Have folks experienced a significant heat issue with their flippers and degradation of flipper power? Hoping to gain some insight from the vets on this one.
Thanks all! Hopefully someone can correct anything I have very wrong.

Every question has been discussed here. Just use the search function.

#10020 2 years ago
Quoted from captaindorky:

Quick update on my sound issue that was caused due to the Spike CPU board. Apparently there is an issue with the amplifier and it requires replacement. Unfortunately I am now going on 4 months of no CPU board to learn this - and the part is not available. I am faced with a "board swap" for over $300 or send it to Stern via RMA for who knows what.
This sucks. Period. I have a gigantic paper weight right now. Rolling the dice with Stern in hopes they can fix or replace the board. I'm being told it most likely will be 2022.

Sux. That is the reality of the new, unserviceable tech.

4 weeks later
#10411 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Good advice from Kkoss and will fix 90 percent of the problems.
My orb ball problem though is the ball will not reseat itself to rest position so the switch doesn't know what to do. I'm going to try another ball and seat. This really isn't the greatest of designs. The spring seems to be proper strength, only the ball is hanging on the lip.

I used a small amount of grease on the saucers to stop this.

#10455 2 years ago

no I think they kept the schematics to themselves...
As for micro soldering, I have no issues with SMD stuff and testing double layered smd components, yes it is harder but I can do it...
A semi decent microscope (at around $300) can do these no prob, yes there are more expensive - not needed for my application - . I just fixed other boards with components way smaller than the CPU inside a Stern, I just compared them as I have a pinball machine right next to me.
The only issue I would have is that I have no idea what has failed on these. I would not know what to replace or test, but other than that, the soldering is easy - for me- as I have all the tools to micro solder.

Stern now published schematics on their website.

#10459 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

That's awesome, I'm sure someone will step up and offer a service of repairing them as they get older and more start dying. Getting parts sounds like it's going to be the challenge though.

Parts won't be an issue at all, and the solder work is actually pretty easy in most cases. The issue is the proprietary data on the some of the chips. If a chip goes bad, you'll have to buy a board instead of replacing the chip.

1 week later
#10513 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

When I first played Maiden it reminded me a bit of TZ but it had been years since I played one. When I finally did find a working TZ recently it really drove it home. The 4 flippers on the main field all used heavily + the leftside pops has a feel that is largely unique vs other layouts. TZ is bigger but a lot of that space is all the toys resulting in a similar amount of space to work with to hit all the shots.

Funny, I own them both and find they feel like they're from completely different universes.

1 week later
#10563 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Pro tip - next time you get that close, open up the coin door, go into settings and change number of balls from 3 to 4. Resume play and relish battling the Beast!

Don't know if I'd call that a "pro" tip.

#10572 2 years ago

Some games are pros some are premium, this one is certainly a pro -and I typically always try to go premium-
For those new buyers out there… go pro if you buy this game!

WesternLaugh.gifWesternLaugh.gif

#10582 2 years ago

nah, sorry.
But it is your money, if you think a ball lock is worth 2K, you are free to spend it how you see fit.

Ball lock and rising ramp. Expensive, but worth it.

#10588 2 years ago

The way I see it, I almost always want a prem/LE. Almost. GOT is way better as a pro. That's the main one that comes to mind. I find IMDN prem/LE to be the better of the two. GZ pro is amazing, but the Prem/LE is definitely better to me. I like the best version of the games I buy. I'd always long for the better machine, so I don't buy if I can't afford it. Pros are easy to find on location.

If you're concerned about "value" (money) in any way, IMDN pro is the way to go. If you want something that is closer to Keith's original concept, the prem/LE is the way to go.

The good news about pinball is that even if you are concerned about money, you usually get all of it back when you're done with the machine, sometimes with a nice profit.

#10589 2 years ago

Hey, does anyone know what happens when you get all the Xs when you already have 3x lit but not collected? Does the Devil's head explode or something?

#10599 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Extends your multiplier time

Ah, cool. Thanks!

#10621 2 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Gotta do coin door, just wish I could have found laser cut rails. Center ramp had to be done again.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

R u powder coating ramps??? Eeek! That's not going to end well.

#10655 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Having a weird issue, the auto plunge goes around the back loop every time but when I manually plunge, it always hits the post above the skill shot target and goes SDTM. I feel like the guide must be right since the auto is fine but I can’t figure out why my manual plunges are not. Anyone have this issue or know how to fix? I have a pro, in case there is any difference.

Use the search function at the top right of the thread (not site). Type in "manual plunger", send, and scroll down.

plunge (resized).jpgplunge (resized).jpg
#10687 2 years ago
Quoted from RazorV23:

Having ramp issues, when I hit the right ramp the ball is moving so fast it flies off the ramp and goes right down the drain before it hits the inlane. Anyone else having this issue. I will try to get a video of it, but everytime I try it doesn't happen.

I wouldn't recommend filing off the the chrome. You can bend the wireform without ruining it. See my previous post:

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Remove the wire form and sit the problem wire perpendicular across a vise that is open as wide as the support rails holding the problem wire in place. Use any kind of blunt punch to smack a bend into the problem wire.
Add protection (shop towel) to the vice and the punch to avoid scratching the chrome.
This is a 15-20 minute job.
Using a file is not good advice.

#10719 2 years ago

I just played my IM after a few weeks of neglecting it (got other gems in here at the moment but they are just passing by) and I can't say without a doubt that this is the most fun packed pin I have ever played. Just incredible, even if you hate IM, the pin is so good.
I typically get bored of games after 500 games, like really bored... IM keeps me coming back.
what a great game!

If you like Iron Man that much (and I agree!), you should try Iron Maiden!

#10724 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Not to dissuade you, but I found that pin unbearable. It's a North/South shooter and once you get going side to side at all you'll drain. Maybe it's just not my type of shots but I really don't understand why anyone would play it. As always IMO--I'm sure someone loves this game.

I owned one for years. Fast, sometimes brutal, but some of the best flow ever. Also has some of the most intense moments in all of pinball. Do or die with a sub and the sound cranked is beyond epic. Great game.

2 months later
#11217 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

And skip the lead free solder - has a higher melting point compared to some 60/40 solder. 60/40 solder w/rosin will be a lot easier to work with, especially for a beginner.

As long as you don't want your testicles to work properly, get the lead-based solder. Just because lead-free works just as well, doesn't mean you shouldn't man up and send some radioactive zombie fetuses out into Adventureland.

It's a switch. Just practice on the damned switch. Soldering is crazy easy. Watch one YouTube video, and you're ready for the big leagues.

#11226 2 years ago

I've not found any disadvantage in using lead free solder for the past decade, even with intricate board work. If you want to handle toxic metal for a barely noticeable difference in melting point, go nuts.

2 weeks later
#11272 2 years ago

I have no issues making the ramps after playing for over an hour...

#11314 2 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Whats people doing for lighting? Beside pin staduim i dont think they make pinduino for spike 2 yet,just curious of other options.

Stock is great.

#11318 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Iron Maiden Aces topper. Looking for £2K GBP.
shoot me a PM if interested.
Thanks

proxy-image.gifproxy-image.gif

2 weeks later
#11435 1 year ago
Quoted from ZioShu:

Hi guys,I'm new to the hobby and fell il love with this machine since my first ball played in september 2021.Decided to grab a HUO Premium and joined the club last week.Unfortunately i wasn't aware of the pooling/chipping issues on these playfields until i started digging on pinside's forums,then i checked mine and it is obviously affected.Build date is May 2019 and got something around 2200 plays.I was wandering how to deal with this and got few questions i would like to submit to you:do you think the ironing fix could be still an option here? Is there a chance to receive a new PF,working between the original owner and his distro/Stern?In the worst case,where should i check in order to buy a new PF to swap eventually?Thank you so much in advance

Welcome to the hobby! You choose the best design in pinball as your first game

Here is the thread of people discussing the playfield iron (no pin pun intended) fix.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands

I posted a heat gun method in the thread.

If there is no chipping, it's easily fixable. If there is and you care about it a lot, sell it and buy another one. You'll likely get the price you paid in the current crazy market.

I would recommend never doing a swap, ever. It is an insane time suck. It never ends up being worth it unless you're restoring an extremely valuable machine that you got a crazy deal on. Tinkering around with games is fun. Swaps are not the same.

2 months later
#11732 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Are there any videos of how the mummy ball lock works? Mine goes in there at stays. The mech goes up and down, up and down and the balls stay in there.

Discussed a million times in this thread and the maiden issues thread.

1 month later
#11913 1 year ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

i had to sell my 2 month old IMDN premium to afford the GNR LE. Now i have a one of a kind GNR LE since Slash, Axl and Duff signed it a few months ago at a concert. Slash also signed the upperplayfield where the whole design team has signed it as well
I miss my Maiden but it will be back someday.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Too bad those signatures can't improve gameplay.

4 months later
#12661 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I am sure you are the dick..ha ha.. Just some humor to lighten you up a little.

pinmeme (resized).jpgpinmeme (resized).jpg

#12673 1 year ago
Quoted from blastbeat:

Ok...need some opinions! I know it's always personal taste/situation. NIB pro for 6700 or wait and pay the 10k for premium when I can get one. Not that the extra 3k is chump change but i can swing it. I have only played the pro a few times. Love the theme and the game.
Thanks

I've played both a lot and find the premium a far better pinball experience. If you want one of the most stripped-down speed machines, the pro is the way to go. If you want more interaction, mechs, and interesting strategy, the premium is the way to go. I find the premium to be crazy fast while adding in some nice interaction, much like iron man does, just better.

#12724 1 year ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Thanks very much for detailed reply, enjoyed it and was hoping for a response like this. It’s hard to pick just one game so I beat myself always wanting more in any game made.

One game? GZ ... all day. It has elements of Maiden in it and much more.

1 month later
#12913 1 year ago

I think there is some silly rule about not hurting anyone's feelings.

The carpet is straight up nuts, but I like crazy people.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=Tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.