(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,842 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TinyBlackDog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5738 4 years ago

Joined the Pro club today - bought a HUO Nov 2018 build with great looking clear coat. Looked at another one a month ago that was horrible, so I was worried I wouldn’t be able to find a decent one.

Loving the game so far (3 games in). Have a Pinball Life shaker motor and titan rings ready to install. Think I’m going to leave it pretty stock, other than hooking it up to my Polk sub. May research upgraded back box speakers - they are really crappy sounding.

#5742 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

I'm not really into mods, but I did put the Pin Monk lens tree mod in mine, an absolute must have in my opinion. I see games on location without it and they just don't look right.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/02139-iron-maiden-lens-tree

That is actually really cool. I did something similar on my Metallica for the fuel gauge, although it was just colored gel filters taped under the playfield - this is much nicer, and totally makes sense.

Slippery slope, but I’m thinking this machine is going to be in my collection for awhile, so I don’t mind a few “small” mods. Famous last words...

3 weeks later
#5767 4 years ago

In the past month I picked up both an Iron Maiden Pro and Jurassic Park Premium. I’ve spent a fair amount of time with both now and while they are both amazing games, I have to say I’m having more fun playing the IM. This really surprised me, and I’m trying to figure out why it is.

First of all, I’m not a very good player and JP is pretty brutal when you are missing shots. IM doesn’t seem to have as many tight shots as JP. I’ve gotten much better at hitting the left ramp on IM but the right ramp and both of the half loop ramps on JP still give me fits.

Secondly, I really love the sound package on IM. I am a big Maiden fan but it is more than that. The call outs are just head and shoulders above JP.

I think I also like the variety of modes on IM vs the paddock repetition on JP. There is lots more than that I know (control rooms, CHAOS, TRex, Raptor, pteranodon) but it still feels repetitive, likely because of my mediocre skills and not getting very deep into the game.

Anybody else feel the same way? I fully expect to love JP more as I get better at it, but as of right now I am more inclined to hit the start button on IM than JP.

1 month later
#6041 4 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Thinking of selling a couple of games and getting my first NIB game. Choice is betwixt Iron Maiden and Jurassic Park (both Pro). What are your thoughts guys ? Are you still loving Iron Maiden ?

You are in a Maiden thread, so expect biased responses.

Having said that - I’ve owned an IMDN Pro since late November and a JP2 Premium since late December and they are both incredible games and you can’t go wrong with either one. I spend more time playing the JP2, but that is partly cause it is so hard and most games end with me frustratingly hitting the start button again.

But when I play Iron Maiden it just feels so balanced and perfect. Shots, call outs, music (I love Maiden), modes - everything just seems to come together into a complete package. Really puts a smile on my face after having a decent game.

Interestingly enough, everyone else in my family loves it too - including my wife who is not a fan of pinball or Maiden. When I hear someone go down into the game room and turn on a machine, more often than not it is IMDN.

I’m fortunate and glad I have both, but if I had to pick only one it would definitely be IMDN.

—-

P.s. one thing that had me hesitate in my choice is the new JP2 code that introduces the Escape Nublar mini game mode. What an incredible idea that I hope to see as an option in more and more machines. I know the purists might disagree but I know for a FACT I’m never going to hit some of these super wizard modes - why keep them hidden forever.

#6053 4 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Thanks for your input guys. I think I’m leaning more towards Iron Maiden at the moment.

Is used an option? You can save a good amount (at least 20%) and inspect the playfield before purchasing. I bought used and passed on the first one I looked at due to horrible planking and other playfield issues. Was fortunate enough to get an amazing one from a fellow pinsider at a great price.

Of course I have no idea what the supply of used IMDNs is in the UK.

1 year later
#8525 3 years ago
Quoted from OCP2:

Hi everyone, thinking of picking up an Iron Maiden pro. Can’t try it in the wild because of the pandemic closing down bars. I currently have a 1 pin collection consisting of the shadow. Based on videos and reviews it looks like something I would like. I’m also a fan of the music. Do you think this will be a good choice for a second pin? Thks

I own or have owned many of the recent Sterns and can honestly say that Iron Maiden is the best modern Stern machine hands down. I’d strongly recommend it even if you hate the music. If you are a fan, it is a no brainer. You simply must own this game. I also believe the Pro (which is what I own) is one of the best Pros that Stern has made (along with TMNT and Metallica).

BTW mine sits right next to a Shadow I picked up a month or so ago. They complement each other really well.

2 weeks later
#8587 3 years ago

Neca is definitely nicer, but I’d take either one over the flat plastic on the pro.

2 months later
#8756 2 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Hi everyone! I bought this game recently! Maiden is One of my favorite bands of all time. However that’s not why I bought it I bought it for the gameplay and I just still cannot believe how incredible it is. It’s all about the layout and shots it just blows me away.
Rock on!

So many complain about the theme - but few complain about the layout or rules. If you like the band this is a no brainer. Best Stern since LOTR.

1 month later
#8911 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambo:

Spot on - this is all I did and its back to looping correctly 80-90 percent of the time

Sometimes the opposite happens. Mine was working semi reliably until I waxed the playfield and then it started missing all the time. Frustrating!

I had seen posts about filing the end of the the shooter lane rail (near the upper right flipper), and decided to check if I had a burr on mine. I did, but it was very minor (almost couldn't feel it), but decided to file it smooth anyway. Guess what - now my auto-plunge is working perfectly! I need to give it a few more plays but made it through a couple of games, Aces High, Trooper, etc and didn't have a single miss.

It can't hurt to file yours down - at least to reduce another bit of randomness in the plunge.

I hope Elwin goes with a more reliable plunge design in Godzilla. IM, JP, and AIQ all have their own auto plunge issues.

EDIT: I had the glass off applying some Zoom Spout lube to the spinners when I did this fix, and also applied a drop of lube on both sides of the one-way-gate at the shooter lane exit. I doubt that had anything to do with it but thought I'd mention it as well.

1 week later
#9009 2 years ago

I've just ordered a Premium to replace my Pro. It will be interesting to see what the build quality is on this upcoming run and if they have rolled in any of the changes that Stern has introduced on recent titles (like the lower playfield lighting built into the apron).

Have recent runs fixed the early run premium issues or are there still things I need to look out for?

So excited! Probably the best modern Stern I've played and I've been wanting to do this upgrade for over a year.

#9014 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It'll take a little bit to get used to (I went from Pro to Prem, too) because they play quite a bit differently. BUT, the Prem is a much better overall experience. You're really gonna like it.

Thanks, Vic. I know I’m going to have to get a lot better at that left ramp cause it is used for so much more.

Look out for an order from me soon - will be ordering ALL of your light gels (only did the mode tree on my Pro) and quiet PS fan (a must for any new Stern).

1 month later
#9190 2 years ago

Any IMDN Premiums shipped or delivered this week? I still haven't heard anything about mine.

#9230 2 years ago
Quoted from ykcor1138:

YES!!! My Pro came in last night!! NPD all day! Such a good game. Better pics coming, it is way too early.

Congrats! Can you tell us if they are using the newer style aprons that have the forward facing LEDs to illuminate the lower playfield?

Still waiting for word on my premium.

2 weeks later
#9491 2 years ago

Finally picked up my Premium today. I sold my Pro back in July when I ordered this and have been having major withdrawals ever since. I can already tell that the upgrade to the Premium was worth it, even after a handful of plays. I love the Underworld scoop and the greater emphasis on the left ramp for Mummy and Tomb Treasures. Easily Elwin's best game and may be my favorite pin ever. Now to install all the awesome goodies I got from Pinmonk!

IMG_0587 (resized).jpegIMG_0587 (resized).jpegIMG_0588 (resized).jpegIMG_0588 (resized).jpeg
#9579 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Stern is having one of the engineers look for me today said they would get back. Thanks

Please keep us posted on what they say. My new premium has a wonky orb. I noticed that I could get it to stick in the "back" position in switch test mode, but hadn't seen any problems during gameplay until last night. It stopped registering completely. I haven't studied the under playfield mech yet so I'm not sure exactly how it works or how it can be adjusted.

#9582 2 years ago

Yeah - I'm reading through some of the older posts now. Looks like I need to start with making sure everything is tightened properly. I've looked at the diagram in the manual and will probably take it all apart and put it back together for a better understanding. It seems that blue loctite is recommended to keep the actuator from loosening.

The newton balls were my biggest concern when moving from the pro to the premium. I'm sure some minor adjustments will get me in good shape. ExSquid search this thread and the Iron Maiden issues thread for "newton ball" and you'll see a lot of discussion. I agree it sucks to have to mess with this on a NIB machine, but I pretty much expect that nowadays. Can't wait to see all the issues that are present on the Godzilla LEs and Premiums...

#9586 2 years ago

I strongly suggest this tool:

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html?Category_Code=

Make sure the mechanism is moving smoothly before you start adjusting the switch. Mine is not - it gets stuck in the back position - which needs to be solved first before messing with the switch.

#9593 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Ok thanks ill pick that up. Also when you say gets stuck in the back position , do you mean when you press the ball forward it sticks there? Because that's what happens with mine.

If you hit the newton ball from the front it moves back (towards the rear of the machine) and gets stuck in that back position.

Quoted from JHS71:

Had problem with newton ball getting stuck in back position from a good hit. The base that it sits on had a shit machining job. I placed a spring washer from a coil stop between the ball and base, a perfect fit, and tiny dab of lithium grease. Helped a bunch, well at least I think it did.
[quoted image]

Thanks for this! I'll take a look when I disassemble it later today. I've got a ton of washers laying around that I can experiment with. Where did you put the lithium grease?

#9607 2 years ago

ExSquid I think I solved my issue with the orb newton ball getting stuck in the "back" position. The fix I used was documented well in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/19#post-4542117

I first disassembled the entire mech and removed the "sleeve" that pokes through the playfield. I noticed that the edges of the bevel were not very smooth or symmetrical. I tried rotating it slightly in the hole and reassembled, which seemed to improve it, but it was still happening.

I disassembled again and got out my Dremel with a grinding bit and went around the edge entirely at very low speed. The goal was to round off the sharp edge where the bevel meets the top flat part. I didn't apply any grease - I don't think it should be needed if you round off that edge. Reassembled and spent a good 5 minutes trying to make the newton ball get stuck in any position and I couldn't. Adjusted the switch slightly - making sure the "cup" was centered on the actuator - and played about 10 games with no orb issues.

I thought about just asking Stern to send another piece but I'm sure it would have the same issues. Give this a try and see if it works for you.

2 weeks later
#9738 2 years ago

I've been having an intermittent issue with the Guardian diverter motor on my recent build Premium. Sometimes the motor will engage but not raise the diverter. I've removed all of the front facing pieces and removed the assembly from the backboard to ensure nothing is binding and it is properly lubricated. When running the diverter test you can hear the motor try to engage but it doesn't seem to rotate and raise the diverter. Manually pushing up while the motor is running doesn't seem to help at all. Here is a short video showing the test sequence:

Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I've opened a support ticket but haven't heard anything back from Stern yet.

#9741 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Did you check the set screw on the output shaft?
Rob

Doh! Should have checked that but you were exactly right. It is the set screw. Thanks so much @rob_G!

So I tightened it down REALLY tight and played it for a game but by the start of the second game, it stopped working again because the set screw loosened. My first inclination is to try some loctite, but figured I’d check first if this is a common problem? Is the shaft completely round or is there a flat side or indentation that the set screw is supposed to sit inside? Seems odd that I could tighten it so hard and it would loosen so quickly.

Quoted from ChipScott:

Did you check to make sure that the mech is triggering the appropriate switches back there to signify when it is fully up and/or fully down?
I know when I had my premium, I had to adjust the upper switch, but fortunately only once. At that time, it made a similar sound, basically was running its motor and was at its final position, but because the switch was not activated, the motor kept running.
Might just be that simple as adjusting a microswitch back there.

This was my first thought, but apparently not. The lower switch was activated and the motor test is supposed to make it run until it hits the other switch. Triggering the switches manually worked just fine but didn’t make it start moving. Definitely related to the set screw but it just won’t stay tightened.

#9798 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Blue loctite will work fine. There is probably a flat spot on the output shaft you will need to align with the set screw.
Rob

Just wanted to confirm that the guardian diverter motor shaft does indeed have a flat side and I think the set screw was not aligned properly with it. It is now aligned and I also applied some blue loctite and it has been working perfectly for a half dozen plays. Thanks again Rob_G

1 week later
#9865 2 years ago

Is this a common place for stuck balls on the premium? Had this happen last night and am wondering if it was just a fluke or something I need to address. Was having a great game and had to pull the glass and put it on my flipper.
9461FE3C-0A8A-4791-BA68-7433EC4D5F6D (resized).jpeg9461FE3C-0A8A-4791-BA68-7433EC4D5F6D (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#10045 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

I am looking for a few iron maiden flyers. I would like to get two of the pro, and two of the premium. Does anyone here have a few extras they would be willing to part with? If you do, please PM me. Thanks. Mìke

Pinball Life has the pro flyer - may also have the premium one.

https://www.pinballlife.com/iron-maiden-pro-flyer.html

1 month later
#10662 2 years ago

If your plunger worked reliably when new and has gotten worse over time, I can almost guarantee it is due to burrs on the exit of the right side ball guide, just below the upper right flipper. A few swipes of a file to remove the burrs and you'll be back in business. This should become a part of your regular "maintenance" of the pin - do it whenever you clean/wax the playfield.

2 weeks later
#10771 2 years ago

Finally joined the billion club tonight!

21BC81D2-85DC-40E2-BBFB-5FCCA8CD924D (resized).jpeg21BC81D2-85DC-40E2-BBFB-5FCCA8CD924D (resized).jpeg
#10777 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

What mode did you score the most points on? I still cant come close to a billion.

Hard to say, honestly. As I focus more on improving my play, I am thinking of recording my games so I can go back and review good games to see what went well, and what didn't.

I did have 3x scoring going into Trooper multi-ball and did quite well; also had 3x going into Cyborg that got me quite a few points. Completed 2 or 3 of the modes (w/ soul shards collected). Failed miserably at Can I Play With Madness and 2 Minutes to Midnight. Ended up with 3 Eddie cards (missing Mummy).

I noticed that most of my multi-balls lasted longer than usual. I'm really trying to focus on controlled multi-ball play but I'm absolutely horrible at it.

1 month later
#11111 2 years ago

Filing the end of the right shooter lane guide should become part of your regular cleaning routine. If you can run your fingernail along it and it catches even a tiny bit, that can affect the ball launch trajectory. I'm not saying that you don't have other issues, but I recommend filing this down first and then do other tweaks if you still have issues.

I keep a small file with my cleaning supplies to remind myself to do this when I clean playfield/rubbers/wax every so often.

#11160 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I have both. I'd hate to get rid of either. It's too close to call as to which one is better when both are great.

Agree with the above. I’ve owned all 4 Elwins and the only 2 left are GZ and IMDN. IMDN is never leaving, and I’m leaning that way with GZ too. AIQ had no soul and JP was too difficult and repetitive (felt like I was doing the same thing in the same order every single game).

#11206 2 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Ordered some light gels on amazon and chopped em up, then taped to the bottom of the PF. I'll likely double up some of the lighter colors and try to make Icarus a little oranger. But its a great little $10 mod.
[quoted image]

I used to do the same thing but now just buy the color insert mods from Pinmonk. Too much trial and error to get the color right. Trust me I am the ultimate DIYer but this is one area I’m happy to pay somebody else for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TinyBlackDog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=TinyBlackDog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.