(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,842 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider STVPIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10816 2 years ago

I just took delivery of an IM Premium and it seems many of the problems from years past have been addressed. The sticker on the back shows it was minted December 2021. It is every bit as excellent as I could have imagined having this rig in the basement.

The good: full plunge (orange spring) goes all the way around as does the auto plunge. I didn't have to touch any adjustment there. It came with a metal playfield protector under the Pharaoh. And at only 70 plays, seeing the abuse it has already taken WOW no kidding. Cliffy's are on the way.

The bad: the newton ball. One came out of adjustment on arrival. What I did to solve it was actually bend the metal bracket holding the leaf spring so the spoon sits centered on the metal pin and some appropriate bending with a leaf switch adjustment tool. Blue locktight on the pin too. We'll see how they get on.

More good: That's literally the only thing I've had to adjust was one of the newton ball switches, and only the one. The orb ball was fine out of the box. It came with 1.10 on it. The stern insider thing is there. I've not connected it yet but might. It works, it knows it's not connected to the mother ship when I scan my barcode.

Mods done: Shaker. No brainer. Stupid easy install. They put the mounting lugs into it already so you just screw it down and plug it in and service menu turn it on. Huge difference in gameplay feel.

Looking for: IRON MAIDEN PINBALL PHARAOH PLASTIC PROTECTOR. I've already cracked it. sigh. Can't find em, if anyone has a lead, TIA. I'm on the email notification list at mezelmods.

Anyway, CHEERS! UP THE IRONS!!

#10831 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Do the new ones come with the round or pencil post under the Newton balls? I’ve struggled with both of mine. LE came with the rounded posts, I replaced with pencil, and they work better although sometimes the pencil gets too far and goes of the spoon and gets stuck off center.

Mine from Dec 2021 had the pencil shaped. And yeah, sometimes they get stuck. Not looking forward to maintaining these, we'll see how it goes.

1 week later
#10889 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Woo, premium expected to arrive by Friday! I'm hoping it's as good as the hype I've been reading on the forums

As mentioned... "It is."

IMTopper02@4 (resized).jpgIMTopper02@4 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10988 2 years ago

Stylin'...

IMPIN01@4 (resized).jpgIMPIN01@4 (resized).jpg
#10990 2 years ago

He looks right well in-game too.

Quoted from STVPIN:

Stylin'...[quoted image]

IMPIN02@4 (resized).jpgIMPIN02@4 (resized).jpg
#10991 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Where did you get the figure on the speaker?

Search "neca powerslave"

#11009 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

While my wife still enjoys the shots on AIQ more, it does seem like she's having more fun with IMDN (and she doesnt really care much for the band either). The callouts+music really gives this a zesty experience.
I'm almost done fine tuning and correct quirks. Shooter spring might need to be replaced with a stronger one, as the manual plunges have soo much trouble making the full orbit. And some random LEDs seem to be flickering, so need to check the wires theres. Overall still, really digging this game.

Why need a full manual plunge? I also have an assortment of random LEDS not working right now on this brandy new rig... sigh.

2 weeks later
#11117 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

For those who run Pinstadiums on their Iron Maiden, what are you plugging the UV's into for best effect? I only like them seen occasionally. Gets too much otherwise.

I have my Neos not connected to any flasher at all right now. We think my machine has some ground fault problem. When I connect the flasher to the pharaoh I get an overcurrent fault in the setup menu. Connecting it to the right side orb flasher works fine but like you mention is too much flashing for my tastes. And you can't turn down the brightness on the flasher on the Neos, I wish we could. I learned after receiving the Neo, that the Ultra+ version adds the functionality of turning down the brightness and/or even adjusting the colors on the flashers, in addition to connecting to up to 4 different flashers.

I've actually ordered some tint tape that I'll play with a bit to see if I can find a happy medium but for now - the flashers are just disconnected entirely. I don't view this problem as a total waste of the pinstadium neos, quite the opposite. The extra lighting on the playfield is perfectly adequate for my use case which is playing in a dark (ish) room. I'm glad I put 'em on. Knowing what I know now about the version differences I might have saved the extra coin for Ultra+ so I could have flashers without retina burn but.. that's a substantial increase in cost.

IMPINlightcompare01@1 (resized).jpgIMPINlightcompare01@1 (resized).jpg
#11130 2 years ago

"Mode practice" - a friend with an AIQ showed me how it has a way to get into mode practice, not sure what they called it. Instead of playing a regular game you select a mode and just play it. Does this exist on the IM? Haven't found anything about it.

#11132 2 years ago

There is a tech issues thread I've found helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/50

1 week later
#11208 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You are able to hold a flipper up to see status screen ? Say what, which one? Since when?
I know about the end of ball bonus screen and getting to see shard count but during game play, I’ve never seen it.

Catch a ball and hold it: Stats screen. Another appropriate way to see the stats: at the beginning of the ball BEFORE you plunge, just bump the plunger to make the ball hit that switch. Walla, stats screen.

#11213 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I used to do the same thing but now just buy the color insert mods from Pinmonk. Too much trial and error to get the color right. Trust me I am the ultimate DIYer but this is one area I’m happy to pay somebody else for.

+1 for the pinmonks. Super easy and look nice. Couple screws out, couple screws back in, done.

IMPINpinmonkgels (resized).jpgIMPINpinmonkgels (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11239 2 years ago

Is one ever "done"? Recent additions are Tilt graphics on the ramps, ULEKstore heiroglyphics on the two bats, Titan pinball silicone posts.

20220411_1849268 (resized).jpg20220411_1849268 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#11281 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Has anyone been able to get one of these kits from Stern recently for under the ramp target/upper loop? Didn't even know it existed until recently and my game only has mylar down in that area.[quoted image]

Mine minted in Dec 2021 came with this metal protector. It really takes a beating and didn't last long. Definitely better than nothing, I'd do it for sure if it was the only option. Cliffy's carbon fiber protector is there now, so far it looks like it's going to be a better protector.

I tried to get a good image showing the bends, you can almost see it. Somewhat like a "crease" down the middle from the repeated blows, it not only lifted up on the ends so the ball would get stuck or disrupted by it, but it lifted up all the way down the length of the sides also, like a taco shell. I had to remove it after about 600 plays.

20220419_1021081 (resized).jpg20220419_1021081 (resized).jpg
#11296 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Did you attach the protector that sits beside the drop targets? I've been thinking about removing mine as i've found that any slight hit to the middle target can make the ball sit in between the upper and lower targets and gets stuck on the edge of the protector. Only way to get it unstuck is to shake the crap outta the machine usually

Wondering if you installed the protector on the left or the right side of the hole. I think it's supposed to be "behind" the drop targets, on the right side of the hole.

That being said, I also have the ball rest there if the top two drop targets are down, quite often actually. The ball rests on "top" of the third drop target. I can give the rig a bump to dislodge it but I usually take that opportunity to breathe for a few seconds and wait for the "ball search" routine pop the targets up to send the ball out.

IMPINcliffydrops03 (resized).jpgIMPINcliffydrops03 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#11425 1 year ago
Quoted from boogies:

I got the Neca Aces High Eddie from BBTS a couple weeks ago
I just finished installing[quoted image]

Nice! How'd you screw it down?

1 week later
#11465 1 year ago
20220521_194808 (resized).jpg20220521_194808 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11521 1 year ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

I check switch 66 like it says and it runs Anubis up and down like its supposed to do. When I play a game it works perfectly. Not really sure what else to do.

I had this problem, and it finally resolved and I only "think" I know why/how it happened. I think I turned the machine off when the (edit: anubis, not sarcophagus) was maybe in the action of raising or lowering, I'm not sure. When it came back on, the test logic got confused where it was "supposed" to be, vs where it was "reporting" it was.

Anyway, I just started monkeying about in the back there with the power on, manually clicking or holding switches, and telling it to raise or lower and then finally just got it back in the logical "groove" that it expected it to be in and the error cleared.

Hope it helps.

1 week later
#11580 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Hey all, I’m thinking about getting one of these.
Just debating the pro v premium
I understand now with connect the pro also has the extra mode so that’s not an issue anymore.
Is the premium a lot more difficult to adjust and keep working? I ask this because I’ve seen more than one video where the lock ball doesn’t feed into the captive area. I mean I’ve seen it dropping on top of the captive ball and sadly dribble down the PF.
Is the Newton ball better than the stand up target on the pro?
Is the lighting a lot better on the premium? I’ve played on location and can’t tell that much difference in the lights.
Thanks

I don't have a pro to compare it to but I can say the newton balls are a pain in the a$s to keep in adjustment. Maybe eventually I'll find a happy spot where it's more stable but I'm not there yet, about 800 plays in.

Never any problems with the captive ball. You might actually be seeing the ball drop over the sarcophagus while it's already got a ball locked in there, so rolling over it and dribbling onto the playfield is normal and expected.

Given the option, I'd choose the premium. The guardian shot makes it unique, vs just throwing it up the middle ramp all the time. The ramp lifting for shots to the underworld to start a mode is a nice touch.

2 months later
#11762 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Thanks! Part of a backboard project I'm working on over the next year. Since this piece can be standalone, will probably offer it in painted or ready-to-paint (DIY) in a couple of weeks once I finish and test some edits

TAKE MY MONEY!!

3 weeks later
#11853 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

. Sorry it took so long .I took needle nose and reverse crimped the outer leaf (crimped toward the leaf it’s laying on ) and what this does is pretty much mold it in a permanent position as opposed to laying on it where it would need to be adjusted from time to time (pinballs smashing on the captive ball jarring it loose more often )...

FWIW, my premium minted in Dec 2021 came with the leafs bent like that. They're still fiddly but I think it's settling in finally at about 1k plays. I fiddle less now than initially. One of the plastic spoons is actually cracked so I'm threatening it with replacement next time I have to adjust it.

#11860 1 year ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Many have problems with the protector. I replaced mine with a carbon fiber protector from Cliffy and have not had an issue since.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/iron_maiden.htm

+1 for the Cliffy carbon fiber. I lifted the bent metal gently to get it off. Cleaned up the glue residue with some alcohol. Waxed and installed the Cliffy. No problems since, going on 800 plays or so.

1 week later
#11882 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

FYI IMDN owners. I spoke to Keith last month and asked him what the chances are of getting the wizard modes added to the flipper select menu. He said it’s possible, however the coder has little to zero time. His coder is still heavily involved in GZ, plus Keith’s next cornerstone release(not 007). So, maybe one day it gets added but it doesn’t look like anytime soon.

FWIW I would upvote this wherever and whenever possible. Super cool functionality to be able to jump into a mode and play it.

#11883 1 year ago

To expo or not to expo, that is the question.

I'm considering hauling my Dec 2021 premium to the local expo here in Denver for a weekend of abuse.

Thoughts? Hell no don't do it? Why subject your machine to that damage? Or it won't be sooo bad? I have no idea how many plays it would get over the course of three days. It's at only 1200 now.

The benefit of course is free admission for the weekend for bringing a machine. Plus just sharing this awesome machine, I'm sure people would appreciate it.

I'm handy, so I'm not worried about some extra cleanup during and after or maybe fixing something earlier than I would have otherwise.

I have a virtual pin I'd bring if I don't bring the IM. Hauling one or the other and not both is the design requirement so I'm choosing which to bring. The vpin has been there 3 years in a row.

#11885 1 year ago

Well, for sure the pinmonk fans help with flipper fade over the course of an hour while I'm playing it. Running all day with players waiting in line would be another whole level of coil test..

Game Exchange usually has a whole front row of a dozen or 15 new machines so it'd have all that good company.

3 months later
#12454 1 year ago

Among the chores of the puppy is helping Daddy play the flashy-noisy-shiny-ball game.

http://duprints.com/unpub/bodhi-pin.mp4

bodhi-pinstill (resized).jpgbodhi-pinstill (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12657 1 year ago

I quite like it...

Had to file a small bit of the sculpt away for the guardian mech. Also had to take a rasp to the wood above the guardian, his ears were hitting the top and preventing full travel. Recommend adding three posts on the right side, just like his instructions say to include on the left. Also paint the white wood behind the guardian (I used sharpies) else you see that ugly white when it's in the down position.

20230219_161021@12 (resized).jpg20230219_161021@12 (resized).jpg20230219_160833 (resized).jpg20230219_160833 (resized).jpg20230219_142206 (resized).jpg20230219_142206 (resized).jpg
#12663 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I’m going through my games doing odds and ends. Up next is Maiden! What a game my only pro and loving it.
Anyways it came with some stuff I am clueless on.
Number 1 item is a LED light
Number 2 is LED controller
Number 3 is a uninstalled cliffy.
Number 4 Orb mod with no destructions or bar code to use.
Number 5 mystery wires.
Ill post some pics let me know what I have and what to do.
Thanks in advance.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#1 is probably the white original pharaoh eye light. if you have the red eyes now, that could be the original white light.
#2 probably belonged to an LED strip that was connected to your #5 mystery wires and is now missing.

1 week later
#12749 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's the same issue i'm having. not a fan of how the light kind of reflects off of it with a satin shimmer. Would be better with a full flat. but does need more lighting. I'm sampling with some items and techniques to hopefully make it nicer.

FWIW with pinstadiums - no lighting problems with the new backboard. I can't imagine this game without the pinstadiums, and not only for this reason.

2 weeks later
#12804 1 year ago
Quoted from Sluggo39:

Installed Liors back panel and Oracle mod looks good, just need some kind of sticker or something to cover the screws in the center panel any ideas?
[quoted image]

I "painted" mine with shades of copper/gold/brown sharpie to make a good color match with the backboard. They're still visible screws of course, but at least they're not shiny silver. I've lost that "plug" that covers the big screw since I took this pic so I need to do the same thing there.

20230218_143847 (resized).jpg20230218_143847 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12967 12 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I use IC on my Godzilla but only.home team. Guests that come.over don't give a shit about it..so I would love to spruce up the apron with a full cover it at least cover up the qr reader some how. Anyone have good solutions for that?

As much as the original red IC is so ugly, it's not that hard to dress it up. I hit it with some black sharpie and glued this image on.

IMApron02@1 (resized).jpgIMApron02@1 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#13009 11 months ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Ok i installed the art of pinball back panel and getting one alert. See picture below and let me know your thoughts. When I lift the playfied and run the test it works 100 percent . It's only when the game is in the full position that it moves up and appears to geep trying to move up....
[quoted image]

If it's like mine the ears of the guardian are hitting some piece of trim wood on the way up before the "up" switch engages. Lior's suggestion is to bend the switch metal piece that senses the guardian "up" position so it triggers earlier in the upward travel. I took a rasp to the offending piece of wood. (image) Super easy.

20230219_160833 (resized).jpg20230219_160833 (resized).jpg
#13014 11 months ago
Quoted from EricInAlaska:

I have Neo Atoms. They’re exceptional and wouldn’t play without them. I love the battle Hallowed Be Thy Name most I think.

++1 for the pinstadiums. I've said before and I'll say it again (here it comes) I can't imagine this game without them.

1 week later
#13060 11 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m thinking orange/yellow for the skirt and base of the pops to match the flippers and plastic protectors .What do you guys think ?
[quoted image]

I left the apron in black and went this purple lighting for down low:

20230520_220803@1 (resized).jpg20230520_220803@1 (resized).jpg
#13062 11 months ago
Quoted from EricInAlaska:

That purple looks fetch! Is she a premium?

Yes indeed. An uncommon Dec 2021 minting.

#13063 11 months ago

PSA - Plunger spring strength? At about 1250 plays I was struggling with all the normal adjustments related to the skill shot but finally found the original orange plunger spring just needed to be retired. A new orange spring restored the same original skill shot feel.
PlungerSprings@8 (resized).jpgPlungerSprings@8 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#13342 10 months ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I had a question in settings I set the ball to launch when both flippers are pressed…
It works but it will restart the song playing or selects the next song up when i use the flippers to launch….
Does this make sense?
So I hold left flipper in ; press right flipper ball launches but then it will either restart the song or picks next song ;
The music doesn’t stay continuously playing correctly via flipper launch.

After selecting the song you want, bump the plunger so the ball touches the first rollover switch. That "locks" the song selection.

2 weeks later
#13566 9 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’ve been playing real long games and your fans are up on my list

Fans on those lower flipper coils are a must IMO. Without cooling fans can't even run it for a half hour before noticeable shooting difference.

2 weeks later
#13784 9 months ago

Yet another autoplunge tip:

While "de-burring" the shooter lane metal wall is a thing, over time my gentle scrubbing (~1400 plays and I've deburred maybe 10 times) actually bent the metal enough to knock it out of line. The ball was hitting the flipper every time.

I discovered this when I finally resigned to lifting the plastics and loosening the screw to move the wall. I found that the screw had dug itself a "home" and it was near impossible to get the wall to stay anywhere other than where the initial installer placed it. Tighten the screw, it scoots back into its old "butt-groove".

Lineman's pliers, and a gentle bend on the very end of the metal wall and I'm back to 100% auto and manual full plunges that go all the way around. Back to being able to drop it in for the 15M skill shot again.

#13805 9 months ago
Quoted from k_kush:

Has anyone replaced the graphic around the QR code reader? Wondering if anyone has done a DIY or knows of a vendor that sells a graphic for this area? Thanks.[quoted image]

I hit it with a sharpie and stuck this one image in there:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13814 9 months ago
Quoted from prentice:

Yeah I fought with my newton switches yesterday for my NIB pin trying to dial in. I found that very slightly unscrewing the 'saucer' piece underneath helped with the newton getting stuck in the back position. Then I just tweaked the leaf switch for a while. It's currently better, no longer missing hits, but now the bumpers tend to trigger it. (better at least than never being able to hit it..) Frustrating.

Don't give up. In my experience once it got dialed in, it's been very little upkeep. haven't had to touch either newton adjustments in probably 800 plays (I'm just over 1400 now)

1 week later
#13941 8 months ago

Had a "Baller..." ball one last night...

BallerBallOne@6 (resized).jpgBallerBallOne@6 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#14075 8 months ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

the ball hitting the upper flipper is typically, oddly, from the autoplunge teeth from hitting the side of the lane.
check for rub marks on it; ideal is the autoplunge teeth should NOT rub on the metal of the lane (right side).

This reminds me of an early fix I had to do, is affix down the metal rail on the right side of the lane. it was loosey-goosey and the autoplunge teeth were rubbing on it.

#14076 8 months ago
Quoted from gatordad:

Having issues with the ball launch after shopping my game, it now hits the post 50% of the time... uggh! prior to shopping it was not as noticeable but it was better, Ive seen the stern bulletin and have adjusted the ball guide as far up as possible but it still hits the post on launch, Ive had that side disassembled and reassembled more times then I care to share, I'm a little step with my playfield angle so I'm going to try to lower that next, already played with the coil strength up and down to no avail.... head scratcher for me and I don't give up easily... any other ideas from the group?

Quoted from tgarrett09:

I’ve spent probably 10+ hours dialing mine in. I got the manual plunge perfect 100% of the time so I knew if I could tweak the auto launch to match it then I would be be golden. I’ve learned that I can’t trust the coil test mode. I need to test with the actual game playing with the glass and lockbar on. For some reason that makes a difference.
From there it all came down the the positioning of the forks. I would physically unmount the auto plunge mechanism so I can precisely bend them a little bit, remount then test. Note what is happening to the ball pathing then repeat. For me I ended up needing to bend both forks pretty far in so they hit pretty close to the center of the ball (but still leaving enough clearance for the plunger tip). That gave the enough of a powerful direct hit to the ball every time to make the full loop without hitting anything. It’s been perfect ever since.
It’s a huge pain to do and I know most people just try to stick some needle nose pliers in the shooter lane and bend the forks a bit that way. It wasn’t precise enough to fix it for me, so I had to take the painful approach. I also wanted to avoid messing with the pin keeping the forks on the mechanism since those bushing aren’t great and can start binding up if you mess with them too much.

One of the recent "things" I've done to keep the skill shot going up the lane properly is to gently bend the tip of that shooterlane rail. Just the very last 1 cm of it. Over time, gently sanding off that "burr" actually bent that metal rail toward the backbox, just the tip. A very slight bend back is one recent adjustment I've made, and it's been good for a while. I didn't have good luck with loosening the screw and moving the whole rail because when tightening the screw, everything just settled back into its former "groove". So instead of loosening the screw and moving the whole rail, I barely bent the end of the rail just a tad.

#14081 8 months ago
Quoted from gatordad:

Did you remove the rail to bend it?
What did you use a break or a vice?
I did notice a small burr on the end of it.

Don't have to remove it. Used a sturdy lineman's pliers, just a tiny tweak. Yes, you should gently scrub off that burr once in a while. I've been using a 400 or 600 grit paper to do it.

#14130 8 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Oh, you went in from the top! Interesting. That helped "pull" the rail against the girder and out of the way of the kicker. Got it! Nicely done! And you can replace that screw with something more discreet later. Sticking up like that it does look rather DIY, but this way you didn't have to tweak your kicker arm! Bullet dodged!

Quoted from Brainiac:

I wish it were pretty! -_- Once I got 100% autoplunge, and left it like that!! (you can see the bite marks on the right of my pliers trying to get a bend that never came)
[quoted image]

At least you still have the head on your screw... I was working with tight tolerances (on purpose, but) I guess inferior metal in the screw and the head popped right off. The auto-plunge rubbing was solved so... I left it just like that. Maybe find a mini-eddie head to squish on it or something someday.

IMPINShooterLaneRailScrew@6 (resized).jpgIMPINShooterLaneRailScrew@6 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#14191 7 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

If I ever get my own house I'm building a point I can attach a winch to near the stairs. Just put everything on a sled and winch it up the stairway.

This is what I did after a couple years in a row hauling a 70's era Atari machine (300+) up and down for a trip to the local expo. I screw a pair of 1x2 tracks down to the stairs and the machine slides up and down real easy.

The winch was yellow. I had to paint it black and added some steampunk 3d printed gears to cause it to be aesthetically pleasing enough to earn the "OK you can leave it there" approval...

ChainLift@6 (resized).jpgChainLift@6 (resized).jpgWinch@4 (resized).jpgWinch@4 (resized).jpgzorigwinch@4 (resized).jpgzorigwinch@4 (resized).jpgzwinchsupport@8 (resized).jpgzwinchsupport@8 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#14274 7 months ago
Quoted from alto:

My game is set up and we got our first newbie games in, the lady and I.
A couple of things I need to take care of as a follow up:
1. I stripped the threads on one of the leg bolts, I then saw that the bracket inside the cabinet didn't have nearly as much of a threaded section as the other legs, so no wonder it failed way before any real torque was reached. Can anyone tell me what the thread size is for the leg bolts? I want to order some nuts to place on all the leg bolts as extra security.
2. The playfield glass reflections are just horrid, is there anywhere in the EU where I can get a replacement glass with a good anti reflective coating?
3. Are there any additional lighting kits / mods out there that I could install to light up the middle section of playfield better? I thought it was way too dark.

1. https://www.pinballlife.com/desegastern-leg-bracket.html
2. As mentioned, be sure you've gone into setup and turn the BG brightness down. There is a setting to dim it when gameplay. But yeah a good non-glare glass could still be had. I've never done this.
3. Pinstadiums. I can't imagine this game without them. Adds so much life. I run the game with the room lights off, like a dark 80s arcade vibe.

#14314 7 months ago
Quoted from alto:

What's a proper way to set the tilt weight, should it be so that the top of the weight is inside the metal loop, or should it hang lower than that?

Like others, because it's a home game I unscrew the weight just enough so it falls to the floor and run it like that with only that metal wire left hanging. I view it as somewhat of a contact sport. Death saves allowed...

#14359 7 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I, too, think about wasted electricity if my pin is on and idle. I don't like to shut if off and then turn it back on several times a night, so I'm in the habit of simply opening the coindoor when the game is idle. This kills all the power to the playfield, including the lighting. The backbox remains lit, but I have mine set to just 10% for gameplay, service, and attract modes because any more than that just creates glare on the glass. The fan in the power supply does cycle on and off, but I assume the overall power consumption is a good deal less than simply leaving the game blinking away in attract mode. However, I most certainly do shut my game completely off if it won't be used for an hour or more. If I ever leave it on overnight, I will discover it the following morning, feel instantly guilty about forgetting to shut it off the night before, and immediately shut it off to cool down and rest.

I just measured this IM Premium and it consumes 70W in attract mode. With a presumed kWh cost of $0.15, that's $0.25 per day.

Open the coin door and it drops to 40W. That's $0.14 per day.

#14361 7 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

This pin never gets old .

Ain't that the truth.

DayStreak72 (resized).jpgDayStreak72 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#14606 6 months ago
Quoted from gearhead:

Here's yet another auto plunge tip. Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I was very lucky in that my premium worked nearly perfectly right out of the box, 95% on the auto plunge, 100% on the manual. (Mine's a first run machine. Maiden was a day 1 order for me!) As time went on it became less so. Waxing would help, but it slowly degraded to about 50% auto but still 100% manual. I then changed the coil to the stronger one mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it didn't help. Something in the auto must be changing over time to cause the slow degradation of auto but not manual. I believe I've found the culprit. There's two plastic bushings on the pivot shaft for the auto plunger. The larger one on the right had worn and was pretty sloppy, the smaller one on the left was still tight. This was causing miss alignment of the plunger when the coil fired, even though it was contacting the ball equally at rest. Put a new larger bushing in on the right and it improved some, back up to 75-80%. Put the original coil back in and BANG!, back up to 95%! This may not help if you're having trouble right from the start with a new machine, but if you have a machine that used to work well and doesn't any longer check the bushing before anything else.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for this advice! +1 for the bushing replace. At 1700 plays, the autoplunge was getting squirrelly.. This bushing replace brought everything back to normal.
IMAutoPlungeBushingsForTheWin@1 (resized).jpgIMAutoPlungeBushingsForTheWin@1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#14767 5 months ago

She's arrived, and she's a beauty...

ChepasClairvoyent01@6 (resized).jpgChepasClairvoyent01@6 (resized).jpg
#14778 5 months ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

I found the problem. Transistor is fried (meters bad). I don’t have that size on hand. I’ll fix it tomorrow. Got hot enough it started pulling the solder out of the board.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting about this. Caused me to finally try a new node board in hopes of settling the symptom of "coil fade" on my autoplunge. eg: for the first part of a game, the autoplunge would run all the way around the circuit like it should but over time the kick weakened and then it'd start hitting the post consistently.

While I didn't visibly see obvious damage like you did, a new node board solved it. Back to almost 100% auto plunge success. Now I try to work the warrantee repair through my dealer...

#14820 5 months ago

3D printed flasher cover:

IMPINFlasherCover (resized).jpgIMPINFlasherCover (resized).jpg
#14830 5 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

Yeah the other one is meant to have a gel inside of it to filter the light. I put a red gel in mine and it looks pretty awesome.
I like STVPIN's one a lot too though, it looks great with that filament.

Quoted from prentice:

That looks nice, is that some kind of translucent filament that you used?
Thanks for posting to Thingiverse! (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6304278)
I printed the only other one on there, and it's cool, but I couldn't figure out how to reduce flasher glare. I probably need to insert a little colored or smoky film to block the openings.

Yeah, it's a glow-in-the-dark filament. Not that it needs to glow in the dark, but it works to reduce that sharp glare. I had that mezel mods obelisk one on for a while which I actually liked. But after installing Lior's backboard I felt that mezelmods obelisk covered up Lior's stuff too much...

#14859 5 months ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Anyone know where I can get a high quality image of the Trooper Multiball intro picture? Eddie with the flag and sword. My kids love Iron Maiden so I was going to get a few shirts made to be funny.

meh, not HQ, but...

Trooper01 (resized).jpgTrooper01 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#14955 4 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Plus 1 instructions aren't clear! I did what you did & threw the other 3d printed box in my coin box. Close enough for rock n' roll!

Plus 2. I eventually threw that plastic piece in the trash.

3 weeks later
#15098 4 months ago

New callout? I've heard plenty of "Baller" from the both of them. But tonight for the first time after a good ball she said "Quite the baller".

2 weeks later
#15142 3 months ago

Whheee!!! Only the second time to NOTB. Did 79 million better on it than the first time which lasted all of about three shots before a quickdrain...

IMPIN1.2 (resized).jpgIMPIN1.2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15188 3 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I wiped it with alcohol and grabbed it with the needlenose and it came right out.I expected it to be a bigger deal.

Same. My original metal "protector" came off easy with gentle lifting and tugging. Had to clean some sticky glue residue after but it wasn't a big deal. Waxed it then stuck the cliffy carbon fiber on. 1300 plays later, no sign of wear or problem at all.

#15262 3 months ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

My only real headache is the launch to the orbit lock. I can get it to about 75% effectiveness but that's hardly ever enough to "begin the charge!"
Even when it gets dialed in to 90%, I think enough play throughout the night of a party gets coil fade and makes it stop working again.
Other than that, a couple of wires resoldered and cleaning the coil residue off of the cup switch.

Quoted from MayDave:

I removed the wire gate at the end of the shooter lane and the auto-plunge into the orbit went from 75% to 100%. I added a couple washers to raise the bracket for the gate, put the wire back on and now the auto-plunge is 100% into the orbit. This could just be my experience, but raising the height of the gate so that it only contacts the upper part of the ball was enough to reduce the effect of slowing down the ball and occasionally throwing off the trajectory.

I also considered a wire gate adjustment when searching for answers to auto plunge brick problems. In the end, my machine's problem was actually a driver board power fade (minted December 2021). Gradually over months the auto plunge would miss more often. Eventually after almost two years a tipping point was reached and the power sent to that solenoid after only a few minutes of gameplay would no longer be performing to spec and it wouldn't launch the ball hard enough to send the ball all the way around. This could also be misinterpreted as coil fade. But it was just "node 8 board slot 3 fade"... as evidenced by replacing the node 8 board. Hundreds of games since, and only the random "once in a while" miss as expected. You could "easily" test this solution in your rig by swapping the two identical node boards, see if the autoplunge is better after swapping.

Three balls rolling down to "BEGIN THE CHARGE!!!" should be the norm, not the exception.

#15285 3 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Vote. What’s the hardest card to get? I’m still standing firmly on Mummy. I can’t believe some say it’s the easiest.

My solution to Mummy of late has been to make it the primary objective from the jump. Hit it hard and early and get in there as soon as possible. Knock down 20 or maybe 30 or 40, knowing that through the course of the game there will be another chance to get in there again and finish it off.

2 weeks later
#15351 76 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m going to take the guys advice and start games on a direct path to Mummy.

It usually works out better than it did for me last night. I went into mummy without getting it FOUR TIMES. On the fourth, I had all the other cards and was at 33/50 on my last ball when it drained. sigh.. So near yet so far...

Last night's score 795,583,340

Weird coincidence, tonight's score 795,843,440. I did get the mummy first tonight....

I have yet to get the next tomb treasure after the one that gives more points for combos, which I really, really would like to get to (light extra ball).

#15361 73 days ago

Installed a flipper rebuild kit today. Upper left flipper was sticking open after ~1800 plays. Failed coilstop, ruined the plunger.

20240211_133715 (resized).jpg20240211_133715 (resized).jpg
#15388 70 days ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Yes, I have removed this metal guide at least 3 or 4 times to try to adjust it to the correct position. I’m going to have to do it again no matter what because even a manual plunge fires into the little flipper now.

I would advise against going straight for the metal wall adjustment as the first effort to solve the problems with plunge not going around the loop. I mean maybe it's the answer for your rig but then again maybe it's not and bending that metal wall might cause complications that could be difficult to recover from. So be careful. As one who has moved that screw out and experimented with moving that metal wall: there are so many other (and safer) adjustments available. Case in point, this 2021 machine I've been playing for ~1800 plays now.. Moving that metal wall was never. ever. the solution. It was always one of the other nuances. Cheers.

IMPIN20240214@8 (resized).jpgIMPIN20240214@8 (resized).jpg
#15393 69 days ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Unfortunately, that ship sailed out to sea with the Ancient Mariner. I have fiddled with it a few times already.
I found an LE at Magfest in January and took some photos of the guide on that game since it worked so well. I can't make mine match up because on the LE the metal guide was right on top of the black line on the playfield. On my 2023 Pro, the holes for it are slightly to the right of the paint (or the paint is slightly left of the holes, dunno which is correct).

Well I'm not sure whether this helps, mine being 2021 and yours being 2023 but here is a shot of my metal wall vs black line alignment:

20240215_170458 (resized).jpg20240215_170458 (resized).jpg
#15407 67 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Those lamps rotate white, yellow, orange and red it looks great while playing. Like a fire on the playfield.

I like those comet fire lamps, I used them behind a TOM Flyland backglass (both the red and blue versions of the bulbs in the appropriate places) they were ace in there. Also in a MTL up around the upper rollover lanes they work great. Haven't fit them into this IM yet, but still might.

1 week later
#15462 54 days ago
Quoted from AWDSOME:

I played pinball in the late 80's and early 90's but then forgot about it for a long time.
In October 2023 I was in Las Vegas with a little bit of time to kill and I stumbled across the Pinball Hall of Fame[quoted image]
The first game I played was an Iron Maiden Pro followed by Metallica, Star Wars and Godzilla.
When I got back from Las Vegas I started playing in a local arcade. After 4 trips to the arcade I wondered if I could rent a machine for my house and ended up renting a Godzilla Premium from Utah Pinball for 2 months (they were great to help me get started into pinball). During this time I discovered Pinside. I decided I wanted to own a NIB machine for my first pin. I started reading this thread in December and just finished every page this week. I knew I wanted an IM NIB before they all disappeared.
This is my gateway pin. [quoted image]
It was delivered on New Years day and I can't get enough of playing it.
I kept is stock for couple of weeks and then added Cliffy's to it right as the metal orbit protector was starting to curl up. Since then I have added a few more mods all for more playing enjoyment. [quoted image]
I'm very impressed with Pin Monks lenses and fan kits. My longer play sessions are much better trying to get soul shards and hitting bombers in Aces High.
Now I need to get better at playing it. My GC score is only 326 million and I need to start learning some more flipper skills as my play it as it comes strategy will only take me so far.
I have Checo's full color Anubis on order, just waiting for it to come in.
Future mods will be some art blades and a full precision flipper kit with Halo flippers.

Welcome to the party. I'll recommend looking into the pinstadiums, or making your own if you're handy like that. I can't imagine this game without them. I do play the game in a darkened room...

#15463 54 days ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Lately when I push the right flipper button, I get the sound one hears when striking the orb shot (no prize) and a few points. I can literally just push the right flipper button and collect points with the accompanying orb sound.
Anybody else encounter this anamoly? I assume the orb leaf switch is somehow getting triggered, but I would not expect the simple pushing of a flipper button to be the cause.

As mentioned, get savvy with adjusting that spoon position and leaf switch under the newton ball. Once you figure out the things to look for and fix/adjust, it can stay stable for a while in my experience. The "needle" coming loose is the first easy fix, get a small dab of blue loctite on it. (small dab, just enough to hold it) In order to service the bits above eventually, you'll need to remove the needle.

#15465 54 days ago
Quoted from AWDSOME:

I'll have to see if I can find some before and after pictures with the pinstadiums. Thanks for the suggestion

There are lots of still images of the with/without comparison out there.. but it's more about what's happening live, not just the still lighting effect. Strobing, flashing, color casting, etc along with the game, enhancing greatly the games own lightshow.

#15469 53 days ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Hey, what do you guys think of this bitchin' Powerslave Eddie shooter rod? Buddy did one up for me when I started talking about how he should be making shooter rods. We tested one of his sculpts on my machine for a while to see if the chains and everything would hold up. Even with my kids (5&6) yanking and gnawing on it, the sculpt took it like a champ. Did me up a painted version once we knew.

I'll get more pics once I've got it on the machine but think it looks fantastic!
[quoted image]

That looks fkn ace!

#15510 47 days ago
Quoted from gandamack:

It used to be only on occasion that the clairvoyant orb captive ball switch had to be adjusted. Lately it is about every 5 games I have to lift the playfield and tighten the 2 inch peg that goes to the spoon in order to get the orb to register hits. Any suggestions (besides loctite)

Why do you say "besides loctite"? Loctite (or some other type of threadlocker) is the answer for threaded things that come loose due to vibration. I'm not sure what other answer would exist. I cleaned off the factory white stuff and put a drop of blue on it and it never comes loose, outside of that once I unscrewed it on purpose to take the whole thing apart.

#15512 47 days ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Ideally everything should remain reversible.

Agreed. And the blue loctite is easily removable. Red isn't, don't use the red.

#15514 47 days ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Cool good to know. I thought both were pretty aggressive adhesives. So what's going on these screws are backing out of plate? I looked at the assembly & thought a splint might help keep it from shifting I'm not getting it?

If by "splint" you mean what I think you do.. there isn't good surface to fasten on the ball side of the "fracture". (pic) It's that hexagonal needle that comes loose. It's screwed onto the male piece of a bolt that is integral to the ball above. That's where you'd apply some loctite.
20240308_150828@8 (resized).jpg20240308_150828@8 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#15594 36 days ago

My flipper rubber of choice right now is rubber. Real genuine old-school rubber. I picked up a pair from the comet pinball booth at the last expo on a lark. I've tried superbands, perfectplay, titan standard, titan low-bounce. The 'real' rubber from comet is my choice at the moment. Just feels better IMO.

1 week later
#15657 26 days ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Thanks. That was kind of my fear. And, feels like something that might work it's way back if you bend it.

I would advise against going straight for the metal wall adjustment as the first effort to solve the problems with plunge not going around the loop. I mean maybe it's the answer for your rig but then again maybe it's not and bending that metal wall might cause complications that could be difficult to recover from. So be careful. As one who has moved that screw out and experimented with moving that metal wall: there are so many other (and safer) adjustments available. Case in point, this 2021 machine I've been playing for ~2000 plays now.. Moving that metal wall was never. ever. the solution. It was always one of the other nuances. Cheers.

#15662 25 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Does anyone know where I can find a shooter lane protector? I keep finding listing that are out of stock. I like the Pinball Universe ones. Any alternatives that you guys use?

I was skeptical but I put this "pindefender" in and quite like it: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1426-pinhead-mods
Had I not liked it, was going to just mylar but the pindefender seems to be doing just fine.

#15668 24 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Yeah I was worried about others just because of this game having some inconsistent plunge issues.

Precisely the reason for my skepticism but it isn't a problem. This rig's plunging is spot on with the pindefender.

1 week later
#15736 17 days ago

HULK SMASH high score. Almost doubled my prior. FknA! You never know when the magic is gonna happen.

2x light REVIVE, plus a third via tomb treasure. Three Cyborgs. Three Troopers. Two Mummys. Two 2MTM jackpots. Battled the Beast to 8/15, best showing against the beast so far. So much fun.

20240407_164052@4 (resized).jpg20240407_164052@4 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15795 7 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I work a lot with pneumatics at work, I used what I call a “reverse crimp” method. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and crimped the top leaf like this on both keeping the crimped leaf straight in line with the other.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I might have done a similar, tried to get a good enough pic:

IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpgIMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider STVPIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=STVPIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.