(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,842 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 498 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #124 Features matrix between pro, premium, and LE Posted by cletus (6 years ago)

Post #1039 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules provided by Stern (link) Posted by chuckcasey (5 years ago)

Post #2390 Ordering Eddie LE/Prem parts for a Pro (part numbers included) Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #4413 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loops Optos not registering the ball - mod fix Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #5013 RULES. Iron Maiden Rules Summary Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Post #5363 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Loop speed set screw location picture Posted by djreddog (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

279 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Pin_Fandango. You are on page 1 of 2.
#9564 2 years ago

any club members who have created their own mods/3d prints and have shared their designs here before?
I am new to this club and I have not had a chance to cycle through 192 pages yet, I did some but not all.

In other clubs I am member of sometimes I see these designs being offered for free and I could have it printed for free

#9572 2 years ago

what kind of material are the using for this? is this mylar? does not seem to be

#9608 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

That playfield is significantly warped, one of the worst I have seen. You should have your distributor deal with Stern for you.
Rob

yes, this playfield is not looking very good. I would recommend that you take action sooner rather than later. Do it now while the games are being produced, you should qualify for a populated replacement considering the condition of this pf, this game would be unplayable.

#9618 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Thanks brotha ! I’m still waiting to hear back from Stern. If I don’t I’ll email them again Monday . They are sending me a new set of switches. But still unsure if that REALLY is the issue.I’m not mechanically confident enough to try what you did .

99.9% your issue will persist.
I never got anything resolved by Stern support.
They are only good for sending replacement parts and or ‘recall’ kits, like for example: aiq subway mech, or the stranger thing ramp cover.

No follow up and no real solutions unless it is an issue with a ‘recall’ part associated to it. If it is not, then you are just wasting yo time waiting for the exact same part you already have in there.

Roll your sleeves up and enjoy fixing and dialling this in yourself.

#9642 2 years ago

Got mine today!

8760D1B2-AE49-4511-8933-987C06EE89B1 (resized).jpeg8760D1B2-AE49-4511-8933-987C06EE89B1 (resized).jpeg
#9643 2 years ago

What is the deal with the ball protector on the back.

I can’t decide if removing it now and replacing with mylar is a better call or just leave it?

#9646 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

It came up in the issue thread the other day. The guy who brought it up eventually called stern and it sounds like they offered to send him a new one without argument. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/49#post-6537391

Ok, so will it hold up to several hundred games?
I was just wondering if it’s just better to add mylar?

#9651 2 years ago

Question:
When manually plunging full power I can make the orbit 99.9% of the time, however, the auto-plunger, which is stronger than a manual plunge in failing to make the orbit 60 to 70% of the time.
I can see the ball guide on the shooter lane can be adjusted, but before I make changes, was wondering if there is anything else I need to adjust?

#9654 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Hey new owners, my buddy's game has arrived at our distributor. He isn't able to pick it up for about two week unfortunately. We were talking and I'm curious if all you new owners have the Insider hardware installed in your new games. The Insider program officially launched today and while Maiden isn't yet supported, Stern did say that all Stern titles coming off the line after Sept.1 would be Insider ready. What are your guys' manufacturing dates?

Mine is September 2021 and it does not have Stern Connect. I honestly do not need this for a home pin so I am happy mine does not have it.
I believe the next run will have these on, and the next run is schedule for sometime 2022.
I was told the next in line is DP, however, I am not sure it will have Stern Connect.

#9655 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

If your manual plunger is 99%, I wouldn't adjust the ball guide. That's telling you that isn't the issue...plus you do not want to mess that up. I would look at the "tines" of the auto plunger. Make sure the ball is resting equally on both and when it fires it isn't pushing more one way or the other. Make sure they aren't rubbing against the manual plunger. I have also found that bending the tines in slightly is usually beneficial. Bottom line is Stern's autoplunge mechanism is full of slop and there is really nothing you can do to get it 100% all the time. Some machines are more sensitive to this slop than others. You can try adding an E-clip to the auto plunge mechanism to take up some slop, but I haven't found a huge benefit in doing that. I would also just play with the mech a little and make sure there is no binding, no loose parts, screws are tight, etc. There is a ton of info here on Pinside on adjusting Stern autoplungers if you do a search.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and check what you recommended to make sure and it is all good.
I ended up adjusting the shooter lane guide and it solved the issue 100%. It was literally 1.5 mm off adjustment.

Freaking love this pinball machine. I honestly can't stop playing it! I played every single game made by Stern and this is the one I can't literally stop playing, the flow is incredible and it is just a lot of fun to play. Absolutely love it and regret not getting it sooner.

#9658 2 years ago

what is everybody using for flipper power?
As we all know Stern flippers are super snappy and at max power I am worrying that something is gonna get bent out of shape...

I have everything stock except for the through eject to save the shooter lane but was wondering what setting are you running for flippers.
My game is at 6.8 degrees at the moment and really like it.

I got to cyborg multi ball the first night I got the game, lol, I have been trying to get there again! I dont even know how I got there or what needs to be done to get there! lol Will read the rules tonight.
freaking amazing pin!!

65535887312__544C691F-899D-47E8-82B2-1F3E77F96EFD (resized).jpeg65535887312__544C691F-899D-47E8-82B2-1F3E77F96EFD (resized).jpeg
#9662 2 years ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Has anyone had any issues with the Underworld ramp not lifting up in order to start a mode? Sometimes after three or four modes have been qualified the machine does not raise the ramp in order to start the next mode. The screen says “shoot the underworld” but the ramp never lifts up. Has anyone else encountered this bug? Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks!

It is either code or mechanical.
If mechanical check for binding, specially if it is on/off might be something loose.
If code, maybe a code update done wrong, this is common when ‘updating’ rather than flashing the card.
To prevent code issues, it is much faster and reliable to download the ‘card image’ rather than the code update.
Flashing guarantees the code 100% whereas an update in my experience isnt reliable as you are partially adding the new code rather than fully upgrading, even when fully ‘updating’.

Check the motor in the test menu too, and see how it behaves.
I dont have a premium so not sire if it is a motor or coil, either way, test menu, game features is where you gonna find it.

#9669 2 years ago
Quoted from ucsbaviator:

My manual and auto plunge were both working 4.0…until about 2 days ago. Now my manual is probably making the loop 75% of the time and auto is probably around 90%. I’ll look at trying to do what you did.

It is a very easy fix. Before you start bending the guide take it out and put it on a piece of paper and use it a template to draw the curve it currently has, that way, if you make an abrupt change, you can easily use the drawing on the paper as a guide for the ball guide (no pun intended - yikes).

I say this because I small adjustment is a big adjustment/change.

I recommend that you take the guide completely off. Easily done by remove the screw at the bend plus the leveler and it comes out, then you can make adjustments.

once you are done, I use the test-->coil-->single coil test and select the plunger

It might take you a couple trial and errors but in a nutshell, you do not want the ball too close to the ball guide across nor the tip of the small flipper, it has to pass right through the centre to accommodate for a least than perfect launch.

Ok that was long winded! good luck

#9670 2 years ago

and just wanted to say again in case I did not before:
Wow this machine in incredible. I will measure all games by this one now. I have to say I played all the Elwin's. This is by far my favourite so far but that might change if I spent more time on JP however, IM is just too much fun, literally, an absolute blast!

I just sold Elvira to buy this and I honestly do not miss Elvira HOH at all.

#9680 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

On mine, The manual plunger will barely make it around sometimes, but the auto plunger works awesome and makes it all the way every time. Also I notice the stainless steel play field guard around the top of the orbit is getting warped already. It slows down through there and sometimes gets stuck if moving slow. I will probably switch out to the cliffy carbon fiber version. Anybody use this carbon fiber version yet?

Same here, on 3 ocassions balls got held on the upper right.
Not sure what to do, but first guess is replacing it with something else.

I am not sure why Mylar did not work. Maybe it was installed poorly before? Always had great success with mylar.

#9695 2 years ago

ok so I have been playing the game for 1 week now and wanted to know what is the general consensus about the difficulty of this game.

I am not by any means any pinball wiz but have been playing consistently for the last 10 months, pretty much daily, I think my game style improved but I can't really measure, all that to put in perspective what I am about to say. lol

How difficult do you guys find this game to be? I am consistently making 400 to 600M scores and although I have not gotten to fighting the devil I am just maybe a few days away from that if I continue playing it like this.
A typical game for me in completing cyborg, getting 2 Eddie cards, etc but I find I am getting to this point pretty organically without much strategy other than stacking maybe trooper MB with a mode (I have not found a better stack yet).

All that to say, I do not find this game very difficult at all, and at this rate I will most likely be finishing the game often.

Outlanes are wide open and pitch is 6.8 and the game plays very fast so I am thinking:
Is this game an easy game?
or is it high scoring?

or what?

#9701 2 years ago

oh! I knew there had to be more to it. I did not know about the level 2 cards and the other tombs... This is certainly a game changer!!!
phew!
knowing this, now I realize I might be only 25% into the game code.

Love the shots, I dont think I played a game with such fun shots... I am really curious about JP, only played a little bit and looks really fun too and before anybody says it, had AIQ for a few months but absolutely hated it.

#9706 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Disable extra balls and turn down your MB ball saves to 8 seconds. Then see if you can routinely hit 400-600 million and get to Cyborg

Yeah, for sure, I’ll try reducing the time. I rarely have a high scoring game with extra balls though. Yesterday I got to cyborg not once, but twice, on separate games on Ball 1. Lol
I then was holly shit, what I am doing? How did that happen?
Love the game

#9712 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Who’s lurking and close to Vegas ?
[quoted image]

Loved he clarified two for$12k lol

#9724 2 years ago

wonder if any of you know the handle of any of the guys working at Stern on this site? I am sure those guys are on here somewhere and can read the owner's thread. I mean, if I was Stern, I would like to read the new releases threads so they can pick up issues as they are reported.
I am sure this might work better than the actual EMAIL system they currently use.

wondering if we could do that for this game, I think they need to come up with a better solution...the longevity of this piece of "metal" is very limited, the more it gets hit the more it bends and it stretches out, it is the nature of the material and it stretches with every ball hit, it starts to curl on the edges.

Unfortunately, my suggestions is coming in a little too late so now we need to find another alternative besides replacing this piece... wondering what that is and if Stern has any ideas?
Maybe if we @ one of the customer service guys so they can see people are still talking about this, that would be great.

#9744 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I decided to do a very rudimentary check of the lights I'm having issues with and noticed that if I poke or wiggle the dim lights they turn on fully.
I found an old post in this thread with a similar issue, that the lamps were not being seated in the housing correctly and that crimping the connector can help but might loosen up again over time.
Is there a permanent fix at this point? I've ordered new lamps for the ones that are dim just in case that's the fix, but in the meantime it sounds like the housings are cheap. Can those be changed?
I also noticed my balls looked chipped and when I took them out it was actually just black rubber or debris being collected on the ball. I cleaned them off and within a game I saw it again. Is this an indication of worn rubbers or do I just need to clean the playfield better?

Is this a new game?
Send a video of the connector issue/light.

#9746 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

This is a used unit I just bought. HUO but has a manufacture date of Sept 2018 so it must be one of the original machines.
I just turned it on and the lights that are normally dim actually looked better, but as you can see from this video they still react when I poke at them.
https://gfycat.com/affectionatelegitimateeastsiberianlaika

It should not do that. That is either a bad socket and/or a bad led. Very easy to diagnose, pull a LED from somewhere else and try it and see if it does the same, if it does, replace the socket. $1 repair.

#9748 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Awesome, thank you! Do you know if I should I get another replacement Stern socket or is there a better designed one that is compatible?

Any pinball retailer will have a good alternative, no need to get a Stern socket as there is no such thing, they are made in China, arguably, a pinball parts retailer might have a better replacement/better quality.

Just get one with the same shape, there are different ones, for different purposes and for different heights, Williams sockets are not the same one used in Stern, for example and the LED will protrude more or less if you mix/match.

If it turns out to be the socket, I would use the opportunity to replace ALL the socket on that area.

#9768 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Any advice for stopping the ball from coming out of the wire track when you hit a good shot on the right ramp? The ball has started to fly out on the last turn before the inlane and it even hit the glass twice now.
EDIT: I increased the angle of the machine and loosened the nut holding the wireform to the slingshot assembly so a bit of the energy can be dissipated and it seems to have worked.
EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, it's still happening and I had one on the left ramp too. I'm thinking of 3d printing or mounting something to the wire form that the ball will roll through to slow it down just a touch. It seems to go straight into the glass instead of going down the drop before the last bend.

what pitch is the game at? try 6.7+ degrees.

#9770 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Did you ever settle on a flipper power level, or just stick with default? I'm finding the middle ramp shot is flying over the target and smashing the pharoah in his face fairly often. I have the machine tilted enough that the bubble is on the top line so I don't think it's the playfield angle.
Deleted my post about the ball coming out of the wireforms since I found it in the issues thread but it looks like you guys were too quick. I am gong to look for burs or parts sticking up tonight and see if that helps.

I left it at default, seems fine!

#9774 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_tagram:

I've been dealing directly with stern, 3 weeks in and still waiting for stern's qc dept to make a ruling

your email fell down through the cracks and nobody is analyzing anything. Ask me how I know.
Follow up if you want an answer. I have tickets open with them to which they have never reached back to me about.

#9776 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_tagram:

Ya I kinda figured that, I actually reached out earlier in the day to see what gives, that was around 9am stern time....still nothing and it's after 7pm. I'm still playing the game it just acts like there are magnets under the playfield and sends the ball off in weird directions. Multiball can be tricky

is this the game with the bent PF?

#9780 2 years ago

The best thing you can do for yourself is shoot a video of how the game plays.
Send it to your distributor and cc Stern in the Email. If they still make you wait after that demo I would use social media.
Unfortunately sometimes it is necessary to do these things to get answers, it is sad, buy you paid full price for a defective machine and you should either get a fully populated PF swap or a complete new game.
That PF is trash.

#9783 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_tagram:

Stern had me send them a bunch of videos and pictures and they sent it all to their qc dept and they said they would be in touch and I haven't heard back in 3 weeks as of today. Disappointing because it's super obvious it's warped. There should have been no hesitation to replace.

same here and you got the standard response everybody else get for anything else.

#9788 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_tagram:

Thanks for the post, definitely makes me feel better. I'm sure Stern will make it right in the end. The waiting for months for the game to get to me only to have this happen is super frustrating.
I get it, short staffed or not, their quality/warranty departments may be overwhelmed with quality issues. It's not just a Stern quality control issue all pinball manufactures have issues. After all we are talking about machines that literally beat themselves apart with large ball bearings at high speed. I hope I am just # 420 in line waiting my turn to be sassified by their warranty department.

I like the positive approach. I think that unfortunately their service post sale is poor and slow, they are most likely understaffed but an issue like yours does not need any analysis. You have an unplayable piece of equipment, if this was on location it would produce nothing and nobody will drop money on it and the photos you have produced are clear enough, not sure what other analysis needs to be done.
I get it, this machine is not meant to save lives but we are talking common sense and customer service here. 2 things that Stern unfortunately is poor at.
All their machines have a HUGE sticker with a 0-800 number that leads NOWHERE other than a recording with instructions to send an email.
Not only that, because of the new insider features new app thingy, the registration of new machines leads to the wrong page and you cannot register any games.
That is an indication that they do not have a proper warranty process in place nor they care to track it.

#9811 2 years ago

Ball protector update:

Mine was totally bent up after 300 plays, it was causing some hangups although the ball would roll over in 90% of the situations but some slow balls would get trapped.

I removed the thin metal sheet, carefully, and cleaned the glue off the playfield with Isopropyl alcohol(99%), then cleaned the glue off the metal with another chemical and cleaned it well, degreased, etc.

I had some 3M 300LSE double sided tape, graded for different heavy duty applications. This tape has a lot of grip to it and it gets better over time. The best part is that the grip momentarily dissolves when you wet with isopropyl alcohol, so removing is a breeze, once the alcohol dries off the tape becomes tacky again although it will still work now, it will have a little less grip.

I also waxed the PF before installing it, I don't want a permanent bond nor making it harder for me to maintain this piece. Waxing did not interfere with the bond but might affect long term efficacy of the bonding agent, I don't care. I intend to replace it over time, just not so quickly after 300 plays.

I recommend you guys use this tape when reinstalling the protector, the tape has a very low profile. It's been over 50 games now and it has not moved at all.
I have used this tape before and it is very durable in other applications.
The link provided is just to show what size you want, do not buy the thin roll. I am not affiliated with the seller, this is just for demonstration, I do not endorse this seller in any way.

https://www.amazon.ca/300lse-Adhesive-Transfer-Attaching-Digitizers/dp/B00LWFO5R6

#9813 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Don't be concerned about shipping. Never an issue. Its packed up securely with plenty of fragile stickers all over it.

the box is very thick and should resist normal transit. If it was damaged severely, it is an indication that it was either dropped or smashed. Scratches are normal and that is what the box is for, also, due to the small footprint of the pallet, the freight will rub against other items in the truck or warehouse.
Had several NIBs, some travelled across US to Canada, to the other side of Canada, and it has been great.

#9817 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I'm finally getting the hang of this game. I took grand champion the other day finally and then managed 350 million. I'm consistently getting over 200 million now too which was almost impossible for me a few days ago. I consistently die with all power features lit except ramps though which is getting annoying. I'm finding the ramp shots the hardest to hit at will.
I also hit my first 4 ball trooper multiball which was awesome when I realized what happened. I'm wondering if that was by design or if someone hit it in testing and realized they could handle it by giving you a little bonus.

hang in there, the ramps, for me the right one specially is super hard! but today I managed a 8X combo on both and got a crazy score on Icarus

#9819 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I'm finding the right ramp the harder one too. I feel like there's a psychological element once you realize the left one isn't as hard as it looks and the right one is further out than you expect. I seem to just under shoot it every time even though I can hit the outer orbit with pretty good consistency.
I always end mariner with the starboard shots still lit too!

mariner and aces high are the 2 modes I cannot complete, the moving targets at the end are killers and I lose my nerve and disaster strikes, lol.
What an awesome game, I can't stop playing it. the shots are so fun, it is never chopping wood, excellent flow, just awesome pinball.

#9820 2 years ago

after noticing the 3 bank target resetting really hard, I remembered that the coil power can also be adjusted from the options menu so I lowered to 36.
Now the Pf does not shake anymore when the bank resets. It was so strong before that it would make it vibrate quite noticeably...

Wondering if you guys noticed that too, I am not sure if the extra vibration might be an issue or not, at any rate, it works fine too at 36 power setting.

Another thing I noticed, Stern put some sort of silicon grease on the back on the wedges so they slide easier... I am not a fan of that because it will gunk up over time with coil dust and it will slow the targets down. I just recently rebuild the drop downs in my Indiana Jones due to that issue and a nice clean up fixed them all... no lube needed to make it work after that... no issues.

Just some food for thought and maintenance down the road, I just did not know they were lubing the back of the wedges...

#9822 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

We also noticed the ball would jump when the target bank reset but I didn't know there was a power setting for them. I'll have to give that a try.
I also reduced my trough eject power because I read that on these machines it's high enough default that it can damage the lane. I dropped my flipper power by 5 too and that seems to have reduced the number of balls I get jumping out of the wireforms and pharoah face shots.

good to know it was not just my game with a crazy strong drop down target bank. It is option #63 in the Game adjustments.
And yeah, good idea about the ball through eject, I do that on all my Stern on day one and also add mylar on the shooter lane. I have tried both cliffies and mylar and do not notice the difference, sure, the cliffy is permanent and will never need replacement but the mylar is 0.10 cents.

I actually do the entire lane with mylar (It is waxed before hand), including the elbow where the ball enters the PF/game area. I hav done it so many times that I can do it quickly and the mylar is cut to size to fit perfectly. I can get this done under 10 min and you barely see anything on my game.
I have seen guys do this but they cut the mylar too short and it does not do much... The way I do it, maybe over the top, is how I like it.

I have been doing it in all my games and all of them had clean and pristine lanes the entire time I owned them.

Particularly in games with an elbow/turn on the lane, the ball with leave marks rather quickly on this area when unprotected and and it is very hard to remove these marks once there are there without a lot of polishing (that introduces scratches). I cut a small piece of mylar on this area that prevent this, and makes maintenance there a breeze.

Highly recommend!
here is a pic! this lane has multiple pieces and the exit how is fully covered with a custom cut with 3 pieces of mylar, from the wire gate all the way down to the switch. Closer to the switch, mid way up, it might look like the wood is dirty but this is a defect of the wood, it was like this on day one. The lane is perfect and mylar reduces the maintenance here 95+%, which is the most used area of the game.
This is what it looks like after 360 games as of today. the lane is waxed so the whole mylar comes off just by looking at it if I needed to.

Cheers

IMG_6733 (resized).jpegIMG_6733 (resized).jpegIMG_6734 (resized).jpegIMG_6734 (resized).jpegIMG_6735 (resized).jpegIMG_6735 (resized).jpeg

#9824 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I'm also getting the hang of it....first time cracking 2B the other night.
[quoted image][quoted image]

well done! that is a crazy score. My game has been punishing me and can't get past 700M I did the first day, lol.

#9844 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Just as a point of interest, as it relates to that silicon grease you noticed...
I recently replaced my drop targets on my Stern Star Wars (exchanging for those transparent drops). This was an NIB from a few months ago. When I was exchanging the drops, I also noticed this very same grease on the back of the drops. I'm not sure what their routine was in the past, but this seems to be a routine maneuver nowadays for the back of the drops at Stern.

I think it is a mistake to lube these things, in my opinion these should work perfect without any lube, especially when brand new parts are involved.
I don't have time to take it apart and clean it off and try to see how it works. I suspect that they might be using really strong spring behind the wedges and maybe that is why they are using the lube...

Unrelated vent:
On a totally different note, I was able to see a Spooky game yesterday for the 2nd time, a friend needed help updating code, etc.
This time around I was able to see the inside of the cab as it was not my game... Wow, what a HUGE disappointment and maybe a topic for another thread but since I am here and venting: Spooky uses the cheapest method in the world to build cabinets, butt joints and pocket holes! Horrible! Certainly not meant to last 30 years in a commercial environment -mind you Williams was not planning that either- (moving a cab made with pocket holes, it will eventually come all loose in the corners. I can't tell if there are other reinforcements through the butt joints but I doubt it. Absolute trash. Everything is butt joints. My 5 year old can build a better cab. Cheap cheap cheap cheap building method and horrible choice for a pinball.

All that to say, Stern makes a good cabinet, to Williams standards and even better with upgraded floor that is plywood rather than MDF (maybe their plywood could be a grade better please and not so soft, thanks!) but Spooky's is absolute trash. I don't even use pocket holes in my kitchen cabs.
What a horrible discovery that was, hugely disappointed and those praising spooky's build quality are unaware or out to lunch.

#9848 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks, I looked at it quickly but it didn't look like there was any room for adjustment. I'll have to loosen things up and see what I can do.

following the instructions would really help. the screw has a TON of adjustment, the bracket is actually U shaped for the screw so you can adjust.
I suggest you bend the wireworm so it does not pull away from your adjustment once it is down. It might otherwise, over the period of a few hundred games, slightly start to get out of adjustment.
Before you bend the wireworm, you might want to put it on piece of paper and draw the outline of it so you know what the original shape looked like. Small changes here make huge changes when you shoot the ball.

#9850 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Orange. And i have the upgrades shooter rod. Tried both springs to same effect

to me it seems like the ball loses a lot of energy on the turn and not sure you will see a lot of gain from springs alone, the rod might need to be a bit shorter maybe? I am not a physicist lol but maybeeeeee that would work.

#9868 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

2/2 people said increasing the strength of the solenoid made their autoplunge work 10/10 so I wonder if the manual fails more because a weaker plunge is more susceptible to any burr or issue with the lane. Like going over a small gap in the road, you feel it a lot more if the car is going slow

I am still diagnosing mine, I can go a more than 100 games with no issues and all of the sudden, balls stop making the loop when auto plunging. It is a bit disconcerting, like there is no rhyme or reason as to why is doing it because nothing has changed, things stop working momentarily and the next game the loop works 100% with auto plunge.

I suspect the coil is on the weak side and each plunge can be a bit inconsistent, OR, there is something in the code and the plunger is not getting the same amount of power every time?? mayyyybe?

It is weird because balls will change trajectory as if the power has changed. In other words, the ball might bounce off the little flipper bat and in the next shot it will bounce off the ball guide. This inconsistency makes me think that the coil is the issue and not the orbit adjustment (which I have already adjusted and worked perfectly for over 300 games, and works still the same now, I also check and it has not moved nor come lose or anything).

I have checked the actual mech and can't see anything wrong with it, so I am not sure yet what the issue might be. It is certainly not the adjustment anymore, I have dealt with it when I got the game.

I just cleaned and waxed the game and see if that makes a difference. Either way, this is weird.

#9872 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Check how the auto plunger sits at rest, with the playfield pulled out a bit but not upright. Flick it a bunch of times with a ball on it, see if it’s getting a consistent starting spot. My AIQ had a nut that was interfering with the plunger striker that I had to modify a bit to get consistency with the auto plunge. Hope you figure it out, it’s really frustrating on this game when it fails.......

yes, the auto plunger is a very important part of the game to keep the flow and or breaks consistent!

good news is I think I figured it out:

It turns out the guide had come out of alignment again, not sure why, as I had tuned it once before. I tuned it up again and it has been working 100% tonight.

This is what I did:

- Coil power as before -factory setting- 255
- Followed Stern's instructions (same as before). Because it started hitting the ball guide on the left side, I tune the guide on the shooter lane to shoot closer to the upper flipper.

** this is what I did different this time around**
I set it up so it shot closer to the upper flipper. I did some slow motion videos to see how close I was getting until I got the ball closer to it rather than the lower ball guide. I got it on the first try really, did not need to fiddle with it much.

Then, I reduced the coil power until I find a setting to get it to shoot the ball exactly in the middle, between the little flipper and ball guide. I figured, let's get the ball as high as possible first and then control the angle by adjusting the coil power rather than controlling this with the shooter lane guide.

The coil power has been reduced in setting #69 to 205 and played the game for 1.5 hours. No issues.

So with my original settings, I needed the coil at full power in order to not hit the ball guide under the flipper, and now, with my new setting, 50 points less than factory, I can get around with no issues so far.

The ball goes around the orbit just a hair slower but the shots have been consistent this way. Obviously, I would say it is too early to call it done but I am optimist.

Now, if the ball starts hitting the guide I know something has come out of alignment again, or something is binding. Also, having extra power available will enable me to fine tune if necessary, specially due to the auto plunger mech design and its tolarances, not every shot is exactly the same - they are very close - so having extra power available will allow me to explore a bit. Will see how it behaves for the next 100 games.

I will report back, cheers.

#9884 2 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

From vibration and being pounded by hundreds of balls the screw that holds the end of the guide gives way after x number of games.
Since it is just screwed into wood and not held by a nut and washer under the playfield it will work lose over time.
When the screw gives way the ball guide moves up against the post and cause the ball to hit the tip of the upper right flipper which result in the ball not making the orbit.
If you adjust the guide down and put a rubber ring on the post and then tighten the screw it will hold much longer since the rubber ring will prevent the guide from moving up against the post even if the screw gives way.
Mine has been working fine now for a year.

will try the rubber ring if it happens again.
Right now the guide is set up in a way that there has nowhere to go but down, as I have adjusted it to the maximum curve possible and without being tightened it rests position is the highest position. I am hoping that even when coming lose it will still stay in its resting position (highest). The only way the guide can be lowered is by changing shape, which I doubt it will happen.

Another dozens of games so far and the ball is still making it 100% of the time. Looks like my adjustment to overshoot the ball and then control with coil power is working well.

Thanks for the tip, will try the rubber under the screw if it happens again.

#9895 2 years ago

I got it twice tonight, in the same game, after seeing this thread, lol... 15mil and then 30mil. It is a tough one!

#9905 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

It don't know exactly how, but my pro has gotten faster in the last 3 days. I thought I was imagining it but then my wife who has been playing a few games a day since we got it a few months back but otherwise has maybe a dozen games of pinball played in her life asked me if I changed anything about it in the last few days. The only thing I've touched under the glass in the last week was reseating the rubber on one flipper that had shifted a bit and whatever is going on is way more than that.
It's not a problem. Quite fun actually, just weird that it happened and gameplay is intense with balls screaming around the loops, ramps and orbits and coming back faster than my muscle memory believes they should. The only negative are a few more balls finding interesting ways to go airborne. The coils even feel stronger, like everything got turned up to 11.
The only possible explanation I have is we turned the heater on for the winter last weekend. Thermostat and various other IoT stuff say the house is generally the same temp/humidity as it was in the month before, but I don't have any other ideas about what it could be.

I think the most logical explanation, I think most likely the rubbers were too high or too low and this will change the spinning effect of the ball when the flipper hits them and then hit something else it will want to transfer the energy in a different direction.
Just like playing pool sort of thing.

Something similar happened to Spooky, I can't remember what it was, but it was either their flipper bushings were too high or too short, I think they were too high and the game was not playing right. They made new flipper bushings after people discovered this.

#9907 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I got my first super skill shot last night! Very cool, and difficult to pull off. Thanks for the clarification on how the shot works OSUBuckeye98. Now I just need to do it 2 times in a single game to get that default high score in my name. Seems tough, but I'll work on it.

you can also loop all the way around and shoot the ball into the smaller orbit with the right upper, I can't remember if the post came up but got the ball into the Super Jackpot switch this way too as it was coming back down.
Done it this way more often than when short plunging it.

On a separate topic, what is the pharaoh switch bullseye for? I can't tell the difference when I hit the centre of it, is it points before starting the mode?

#9916 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Yeah it annoys me too, I just haven't taken the time to work on it yet. I finally got my playfield flipped up to work on some stuff including installing the pinmonk gels which look great, and it seems to be missing more now that I've got it leveled and angled correctly. Probably just needs a tweak but I'm going to wait for my new wireforms to show up before I start taking stuff apart again.

I really want to change the colours of those light but I will never pay $40 plus shipping for a part that cost $1 on a 3d printer, I just can't.
I will wait until I get my own 3d printer. With that said, the stock white light are blinding me sometimes, specially once you complete several modes, it is just too much.

#9919 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

To be fair the design is pretty good and he takes the time to cut the gels and glue them in,so there is some labor involved. a DIY solution wouldn't be too hard but this was so easy to just plug and play I decided it was worth the money. It looks great too, those lights being white doesn't look nearly as good.

agreed! I think I am just trying to make up an excuse to buy a 3d printer, lol.

#9920 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Love it when i beat my GC on ball 1 and then just suck with the other 2-3 balls.
Had 780m after ball 2. Ball 3 i had a ball in tomb locked and forgot about it. So when i drained and went to get my drink. And then just watched that ball get released sdtm heh. Ball 3 i did something dumb. Well it was still an awesome game at 840m. Ill take it

happens to me often! lol but a classic for me is getting the extra ball to automatically drain, and the extra ball is just usually a bad ball afterwards.

#9926 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Pinmonk mode bracket is 100% worth it. Also,...you won't spend $40 to vastly improve your $6,000-$8,000 toy? Lol.

it is not about the money, it is that I want to do it myself mostly. It is what I enjoy doing but I also play lots, hehe. In the next little while, I will be soldering 2 bare WPC 89 Power Driver Boards and 2 CPUs for a scratch build I am keeping under wraps once it gets advanced into the build and will post later next year sometime.

#9942 2 years ago

Got my pro made in Sept. No QR bologna included, lol. all good, do not need it.

#9948 2 years ago

today I got the two spinners going while on 'fear on the dark', both at the same time and I just happened to have 2X playfield going and holly smokes, ended up the mode and completed it with a total of 2xx.xxx.

Elwin really though out the combos on this game, they are so nice when you get them.

This is by far the most fun packed machine I have owned yet! and I think Godzilla might be a close 2nd for me just because I do not own one and only played it a handful of times but it has a flow that pretty much resembles Iron Maiden and it is just a blast!

#9951 2 years ago

play count is 600+ for me now. A couple of updates:

1- the ball launch has been 100% since I adjusted in my last post about it, in a nutshell, overshoot at full power to get close to the small flipper then reduce power to get it to shoot in the middle. It has been great.

2- I've got in two different occasions, balls stuck here:
IMG_6800 (resized).jpegIMG_6800 (resized).jpeg

this was particularly annoying because it ended up ruining a really good game I had going, lol...
I tried adjusting the post but it has nowhere to go, and the ramp does not seem to be out of alignment or anything.

I feel like a custom 3d printed part to go in between the ramp and the post would solve the issue, but I do not own a 3d printer, lol.

Any other ideas?

#9978 2 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Got it straightened out. For now.....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

very nice mods Sir!

#9979 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Super, super long. Sorry about that everyone--if I had more time, I would have written a shorter post.
Alright folks, my Pro is currently making its way across the US and about half way here. Very excited to join the club! I'm (unfortunately) too detail oriented and have forced my way through the first 100 pages of this thread with tons and tons of notes. (Additionally, I'm going to read through the "issues" thread after I finish this.)
I wanted to ask a few questions now so I can begin making a few purchases. And with that intro...
What are people using to protect their game? I've read about:
1. Cliffy's: I have a set in my TSPP and love it but I know it changes the game shots. For those of you who have installed them, is there a big difference in how it shoots after install? I've also noticed he's including a carbon fiber orbit protector. I'm guessing this is an upgrade from the mylar back there, but was hoping to get additional insight on this as I haven't read anyone installing it through what I've read so far.
2. Upgrading the corner leg brackets. This one seems obviously good. Any downsides?
3. What are people doing to protect their plastics? I see there are a few options and was particularly interested to see what people think are the best. I'm a little shocked that no set seems complete, but I suppose the slings and inlane plastics are the ones that need to most protection.
4. The Pharaoh shot seems to be highly likely to become damaged over time. It would appear the Pharaoh protector from Mezel is the way to go. Any additional thoughts on this?
And now to the aesthetic/euphonic section:
1. PinMonk lens trees seem obvious. Same with moving away from the cool white LEDs to something warmer (either sunlight or warm white).
2. Are the Pharaoh blinder kits that big of an upgrade to the look back there?
3. I still need to read through the external amp and sub thread but this seems like a smart move for a music pin. I'm just having a difficult time understanding the prioritization of (1) external amp, (2) upgrading the original speakers, and (3) an external sub.
4. I think once out of warranty replacing the "noisy" fan is a good move.
5. I realize there are lots of mods and toys that can be added. I'm just going to ask if there is one that *really* seems above and beyond the favorite. So far in the first 100 it seems people like the Anubis mod, the Orb mod, and then affixing various Eddies into the back corner ramp locations.
6. Given where my pins are located I might need to get the headphone jack setup. Are Sterns the only way to go? I think I've read of a few 3rd party ones that have failed fairly quickly.
Finally, the functional section:
1. Seems like a shaker motor is an obvious upgrade and only a few do not care for it. Sounds like the PBL shaker is the play and the Red Tremor is the one to avoid. Anyone who strongly advocates for the Stern shaker?
2. There is a fair amount of dialing in the auto- and manual-plunger but I've read up on all of those different tweaks. Sounds like a fun afternoon.
3. I read that Keith Elwin has the pitch at 7° and other have theirs in the 7.1 - 7.3 range. Additionally, the (typical) lower degrees seem to feel floaty. Correct?
4. Have folks experienced a significant heat issue with their flippers and degradation of flipper power? Hoping to gain some insight from the vets on this one.
Thanks all! Hopefully someone can correct anything I have very wrong.

Holly flipperoni batman.
First pin?

#9981 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"7e0ec4d365179ad5bdf15bdc5d6dc30d8fc79792-1636771968-1800"};
//]]>

First NIB and second pin, I'm still new to this and trying to sort everything out. Plus, I kind of just...do this...with everything. It's better I take this out on you guys than my wife.

Lol

#9984 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I want to add this to my game. Would be awesome if you could replace just the track for the mode so you can choose the song to listen to or activate the mode and get something different.

I think it might be too soft of a tune for the game but it can be fun, I think it is worth a try!

#9985 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Working on replacing some of the songs with Pinball Browser. Likely stick with The Number of the Beast album. Songs I plan to add and replace existing tracks:
- The Prisoner
- Gangland
- Children of the Damned
- Invaders
Hoping to replace the track images at the start of the game as well.

That is very cool, if you can share the process of replacing the images I would be interested as well as I am pretty proficient with Photoshop (not an expert by any means but can make it work).

Is it possible to keep the modes songs and just replace the normal gameplay tunes?

#9988 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

You got me thinking about the two spinner shot and I finally nailed it.
I'm in a bit of a rut. My best score is 325,000,000 and even though I'm playing better and can get 100 million on my first ball I almost always drain badly on the next ones.
I just played for 4 hours trying to beat my score and couldn't, but on my last game I was in Fear of the Dark and nailed the upper spinner and let it come down to the right flipper and I one timed it into the lower spinner. It felt so good I yelled out loud. 140,000,00 for that move and a soul shard. Still choked and ended up with 315,000,000 but it felt so good. That might be my new favourite shot in the game.
I really want my new wireforms to show up, I had a few good games ruined by a cheap drain out of the return ramp.

Haha! I am glad you tried after reading my message.
That shot got me screaming as well, lol, it is really hard to get!

I have just learned that there is 7 way combo in the game and it looks like this.
I have not completed it but I do get 4-5 shots combo’d in random order sometimes, love it!

A9F23062-9C06-4E89-8F76-C920E5D9C1AD (resized).jpegA9F23062-9C06-4E89-8F76-C920E5D9C1AD (resized).jpeg
#9990 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I purchased one of the Iron Maiden remakes (Pro) with the added metal playfield protector under the bullseye target.
I'm getting a lot of balls stuck up there just to the left of the white up post that will come up in a ball search but I can't even shake the ball free without tilting or warning..
Anyone else experiencing this? Or found a way to fix this?

This has been extensively discussed here.
You will find the answer by using the search function.

#9996 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Thanks for the reply.
It is getting annoying getting stuck there. It happens every 3rd or 4th ball now. Will pull glass to inspect next time it "sits" there to see what my options are for repair and take a pic.
I had a great score going on ball 3 so I started to pull the glass so I could use my collapsible magnet stick to get the ball and place in shooter lane but the game instead of shooting out another ball as I would think it should decided to just end the game and tally up my final score. LOL
Must be a setting....

it is not a setting, the ball protector curls up and cradles the ball.
I have posted about this not long ago. I recommended a good double sided tape to reinstall.

Is this your first pinball machine? just asking to gauge the level of experience you might have repairing and disassembling.

#9998 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Ball protector update:
Mine was totally bent up after 300 plays, it was causing some hangups although the ball would roll over in 90% of the situations but some slow balls would get trapped.
I removed the thin metal sheet, carefully, and cleaned the glue off the playfield with Isopropyl alcohol(99%), then cleaned the glue off the metal with another chemical and cleaned it well, degreased, etc.
I had some 3M 300LSE double sided tape, graded for different heavy duty applications. This tape has a lot of grip to it and it gets better over time. The best part is that the grip momentarily dissolves when you wet with isopropyl alcohol, so removing is a breeze, once the alcohol dries off the tape becomes tacky again although it will still work now, it will have a little less grip.
I also waxed the PF before installing it, I don't want a permanent bond nor making it harder for me to maintain this piece. Waxing did not interfere with the bond but might affect long term efficacy of the bonding agent, I don't care. I intend to replace it over time, just not so quickly after 300 plays.
I recommend you guys use this tape when reinstalling the protector, the tape has a very low profile. It's been over 50 games now and it has not moved at all.
I have used this tape before and it is very durable in other applications.
The link provided is just to show what size you want, do not buy the thin roll. I am not affiliated with the seller, this is just for demonstration, I do not endorse this seller in any way.
amazon.com link »

Quoted from CUJO:

I tried "Iron Maiden Ball Stuck" and Iron Maiden Ball hung" with no matches.
What do you think will work for the keyword?

#10004 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

No, I have been in the "hobby" for 25 +years and currently own 25 pins.
I am not a young lad anymore but still do a lot of my own simple board repairs and maintenance on them.
I was just sort of "surprised" that the ball was hanging up there so often on a new pin but didn't take the time to really look at the issue before posting.
Also you would think Stern would have done a better job at securing that metal plate to the playfield in assembly.
Thanks for the response on how you "cured" the issue on your IM. I'll get to it myself when it annoys me enough which won't be long from now.
CuJo

Agree 100% with you. It is not the greatest design from a longevity or maintenance point of view, it is a terrible weak point.

I tried to ignored it for 300 games but it was just ruining the experience so I took it off, cleaned and reinstalled with the tape I mentioned before. I have put a few hundred games since and has not budged.
In case you missed it in here, a few people tried mylar with little success and it gets really damaged quickly so you end up maintaining more.

That whole section in my opinion, should have been routed out to accept a metal insert directly attached to the PF with screws. That would have been perfection and likely 0 maintenance...

#10009 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Read your replies, and looked up this whole thread about it. A lot of info thanks. Im just wondering the difference in a replacement. What's the point?

You are welcome. I think the metal piece Stern uses is a great alternative to Mylar. I can't speak about other replacements made by others.
I notice a HUGE improvement just by replacing the adhesive under the metal so it properly attaches to the PF. The 3M tape I used is commercial grade, bonding increases over time and it is easily removable with isopropyl alcohol.

Put a few hundred game since and it has not moved a bit.

I think the problem is not the actual metal piece but poor installation at the factory. The double sided tape the used is very cheap and adhesion is weak. During break-in it curls up and pull it off.

I am not a fan of taping it over, as you mentioned, as I do not think it will last either.

My approach has shown almost no changes in almost 250 games since the change. The metal piece does need a break in period though, it will slightly curl at the beginning.

I recommend the 3M tape I mentioned before. It is used in high end electronics and other environments. It is designed to be removed easily too. It is the right product for this application. Nikon uses it to hold the plastic grips attached to the cameras in their pro grade cameras (that is how I found it)

I recommend it

#10018 2 years ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

It just came today,I have been waiting since June.

congrats, this game is a blast. I got mine recently too, previous run (Sept). At first I thought the game was easy and as usual, the more I play it the more I suck! I can't explain it! lol
Anyway, enjoy! it is a blast.

#10023 2 years ago
Quoted from captaindorky:

Maybe I can solder on to the board? I'm no expert. I just want my machine up and running.
Unserviceable tech sucks. Period. I have a few Williams/Bally games. I can fix some things. For items I can't, Chris Hibler is there to assist and he has been awesome.
I'm pissed. I'm at the point where once I have my machine up and running it may be gone just because. I'm disgusted by the lack of supply to repair machines. I don't have a large stable of Stern machines where I can just take another board out and swap it in and be patient.
I don't mean to be an ass regarding this. Just extremely frustrated.

if you put your hands on it and make it worse, that is the end of the warranty for you. So you either fix it or do not bother. The components on the spike boards are tiny so it is not like soldering through board components on WPC, it is a bit different and requires the right equipment. It can be done, but I would not practice on it.
Take the board to somebody that can fix it? I would not attempt the repair if your equipment and experience are not on par. You will be out of warranty, and out $300+ for a new board.

Get your distro involved, get them to take a board form another game? while THEY wait for the repair?

#10025 2 years ago
Quoted from captaindorky:

I wish it were that easy.
I sent it in to a reputable repair guy who is frequently listed in these threads. He reports the amplifier parts are unavailable.
I've elected to go the RMA route with Stern. I figure if I go with them there should be some warranty associated with the replacement even though it will cost me out of pocket.
Not many decent options here. Hope the rest of you do not have to go through this. :/

I hope they look after you. Good luck.

#10035 2 years ago

Very curious about the new code although I suspect it is only related to the code reader part only.

#10051 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Went with three new songs. Just need to adjust the volume and try to change the on screen icons.

curious on changing the icons, it would really wrap it up nicely.

#10064 2 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Hopefully those QR panels are a work in process, they are F’N unsightly!!

poorly implemented. One of the nicest features on a pinball machine is 50% of what it was before.

Also, it is designed to illuminate a photo of a code that is why it is white/white light emitting - but like really who walks around with a photo of the code?? -... Therefore you do not need a huge white light illuminating your phone screen, as your phone screen emits its own light.

The camera should have been incorporated in the lock down button or next to it, the whole system can be triggered by actually pressing the start button --> turn lock down button light off --> start the camera -- > read the code. A pin hole camera in the centre of the button and you are done.

I solve issues like this for a living, if you were wondering.

#10068 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Should be on the coin door .On top of the bill plate where it’s open .

can be there too, but for a user experience point of view it is easier if it is on the top. But yes, anywhere other than the apron!
It could also be part of the start button.

Put it anywhere! just take that shite off the apron.

#10071 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

In another topic I asked why they put the camera on machine in the first place rather than a QR code on each machine to save on cost. People thought it was so they could do things like paper QR codes. Not sure that justifies it though since doing it through software would make it available to everyone for no cost. They'd probably get more subscriptions that way without the $200 barrier.

I presume it is because they are trying to capture players without cellphones. So you bring a picture of the code and you get to access your account.
I really doubt there was any real data determining this decision, as I believe 95% of the players will have a phone in their pocket.

#10073 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Yeah this makes sense in a way, but I thought you needed the app or to at least create an account to access the features? It seems like a really small demographic of people who will sign up for something like this but not have a smart phone.

exactly.

#10076 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I think they're trying to minimize reliance on apps, considering app store requirements and google/apple always trying to get a cut. The current system doesn't even need an app, and all the data is stored on Stern's servers, no need to share with other entities. I'm happy they're keeping this pretty much in-house and avoiding the app and social media ecosystems.

The majority will prefer an app over logging into a website because it is proven, practical and standard. If you tell me I have to use my phone, I will assume that an app exists so as a new user I would expect an app in the apple store/google store. That would be my first guess if I needed to figure it out.
If you make me work for my access then forget it, I ain't have time for that nor am I interested.

The whole 'connectivity' feature will have a better chance at surviving the initial hype if it is easily integrated into your daily life (an app on your phone) rather than me spending 10-30 seconds of my life every time I need to use it, finding the website, logging into a page, reveal my QR code, etc.

You do the latter a few times and it gets old quick, people will start abandoning it. Yes you can take a photo of the QR code/print screen and save it in your photos, This also gets old quick as your QR gets buried into a multitude of pictures, you then have to find your code in your library. Try it, it is annoying.

The app should have access to the profile and should allow you to register warranties, manage claims, everything.
This cost money.

The only real way, simple way and preferred way will be the app, or I predict the connectivity feature die off in the next 12 months. haha
Signed,
Pin_Fandangamous

#10097 2 years ago
Quoted from Hasse:

How do I remove the ramps?
I just want to be able to lift them enough to put some mylar under the flaps.
(Or is it overkill?)

It is not. I do it to all my games.
The only ramp that needs it is the right one, the other one already has mylar.

Wax the pf first!

To remove, the ramps are attached by screws under the pf. Two nuts by the flapper under the pf

#10099 2 years ago

Finally!!
Almost got to fight the devil, but cant get damm mommy card!!!
Lol

For the record and bragging rights. Tilt bob is tight! 6.8 pitch and stock settings everywhere.
Need a nap
43190E88-A422-4A46-B09C-2DA18CBF5E2C (resized).jpeg43190E88-A422-4A46-B09C-2DA18CBF5E2C (resized).jpeg

#10118 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The FF style subs can be had for around $20... I was getting Pyramid subs for $15 years ago. The Stern speakers probably cost a couple bucks at most in bulk.

I think I will be upgrading speakers too.
What is the best and cheap an audiophile can have.
Speakers are not expensive, I am sure there is a really good diy alternative already posted here.

#10132 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

My auto plunge is suddenly really weak, barely making the first orbit sometimes. Any thoughts on what to check first?

Dissasemble the coil.
Check the sleeve.
Check the arm.
Check connections.

#10138 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I finally managed to hit the ramps enough times in one game without the ball flying into the gutter for a cyborg multiball. First time activating that since I got the game. Didnd't do much with it but added about 20,000,000 to my GC score.
I cant' wait until my new wireforms come, it's a pain having to try and hit the ramp delicately so it doesn't fly into the outlane.

This game flows too fast to be gentle here and there. Once you get it fixed up you will see the potential this design has, it is a rocket.

What is the issue with your ramps?

#10143 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Apparently there were some issues with the early wireforms and if I hit the ramp really clean the ball flies out on the way down the wireform. 90% of the time it hits the outlane, sometimes slamming into the glass in the process. The other 10% it lands in the plunge lane.
Someone in the issues thread caught it on video, pretty much the same as what happens on mine.

looks like it is jumping at the bend. I m pretty sure you will be waiting ages for Stern replacement part. I would investigate and try to do yourself while you wait, if you want, I can try to fix it for you. I am located in Ottawa, not sure where you are but you can ship the part to me and I will take a look if fixing this kind of stuff isn't your cup of tea.

#10149 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

My orbit protector is also starting to lift already even though I was really careful when installing it.
I think the issue is that it's made of thin metal that bends on the impact of the ball. This creates internal stresses that pull against the adhesive and cause it to lift.
It might explain why the cliffy being made of carbon isn't showing the same issue.
I will say I got my machine with about 2500 plays on it and no protector and there was no damage back there. I'd rather not risk it though.
I'm sure M3 makes some crazy strong adhesive we can try like Mancave mentions.

I have already recommended the 3M adhesive that is correct for this application, lol, but I swear sometimes posting here is like screaming at the sky. lol

#10156 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I decided to take off the right wireform to find where it was making the ball shoot off and I think I got it.
However I was left with this spacer when I put it back together. It's not the one from the front where the nut is, I thought it came from the phillips screw that holds it down but it's not from there either because the screw isn't long enough. Anyone know if it's from the wireform assembly at all?
[quoted image]

Only one is at the pop.
Did you remove the plastics at the slings? Wondering if its from under there…

#10163 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Ok, I found one of these in my playfield after the orb light cover fell off. If you had yours shot off I wonder if it's from within there. I put my spacer in between the LED and the art plastic. I'm also fully ready for that to be the wrong location too. Perhaps someone can take a picture of their orb light assembly to verify?

mine fell off shortly after I got the game, and yes, there is a plastic washer in between the board and the plastic.

#10168 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just had NOTB lit for the first time and drained.[quoted image]

lol gotta love it man! it happens. That is like getting EB and draining second after, to then drain the EB.

#10171 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

After reading about the issues w/the Stern protector bending up, I'm actually on the fence whether I should or should not install the Stern protector, put a Cliffy there instead (don't like the carbon fiber look), or just leave alone since I just play 3-4 rounds a week. I bought mine used, but it was pretty much new with about 60 games on it. Still looks brand new.

I have installed mylar after the protector when the ball lands after the big loop, after 550 games, the ball is slowly making a really nice and even orange peel (like all games do yes including Williams games ) but I noticed the ball trails were going to be problematic here so instead of waiting for making maintenance 100 times more difficult in 500 games more, I just added mylar here and then -IF/WHEN- I feel like taking off the mylar and put new one is much easier than dealing with a difficult ball trail on the bend.

Love mylar! photos below, first one is with a little template I made and second with mylar installed. I do this to all my games when orbit have big drops or high speed orbits. It prevents wear by almost 100% I think and makes maintenance a breeze.

IMG_6851 (resized).jpegIMG_6851 (resized).jpegIMG_6849 (resized).jpegIMG_6849 (resized).jpeg

I clean and wax my games immediately after ball trails are visible.

So all that to say...
putting a protector back thee is a no brainer. get whatever it does not matter but it is always better to do something sooner rather than later. Putting a protector later when the area is mangled up will be harder as the PF will not be flat anymore and the metal + glue might not adhere as well.
If you are concerned about installing this, the 3m tape I recommended earlier comes off in seconds with isopropyl alcohol.

#10180 2 years ago

It would be nice if the connected feature allowed for remote multiplayer. It would be cool if some of us here can compete against each other, in real time, as if we were playing in the same room. I think it would be a cool feature rather than just competing for scores.

#10183 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Anyone know what the new mode actually is?
And adding a counter to see how many times the board has been power cycled. Think they have any concerns about longevity with frequent turning off and on?

I always wondered how is the game keeping these audits even after flashing the card. Is there a secondary card where these things are recorded?

#10186 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Maybe a tiny bit of onboard memory that saves a few of the important things. Probably can hold it all on a tiny chip,

I am getting a microscope for some upcoming soldering I will be doing soon (building some PIN2DMD screens for myself) but I think these spike board are a step forward when it comes to components size. Some of the resistors are tiny.

#10190 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhorn1:

It's not a new mode, it's a mode that was previously only available on the prem/Le. But now if you want to pay more to get stern IC you can have it on the pro too which is pretty shitty but not surprising.

The pro just got a lot better! but it sucks for le/prem owners... this game is a pro though...

#10193 2 years ago

I just got the code, lol, card is flashed... I might add the connectivity in the future.

#10203 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I'm interested in the achievements but can't really justify the cost of the new apron with the QR reader. Being in Canada it's going to be over $300 after exchange and shipping, maybe more since it's a whole apron. It would have been nice if they gave us a software way of logging into a single account on home systems.
This stuff feels very sticky, definitely better than the original stuff. I also noticed there was barely any adhesive on mine on the very tip where it lifts.
[quoted image]

yes, and the adhesive properties improve after a few hours, still, it easily comes off with isopropyl alcohol.
Tip, next time just get the wider tape. Ebay has it for cheap, it just takes a little longer to arrive.

#10207 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

So the premium /Le code is a nothing ?doesnt hurt but doesnt help ??

it is pixie dust, you put it in, spend $200 on IC and then get annoying badges showing up on the screen every now and then. lol

I don't know, I think the IC feature might take off but a lot of effort will have to be put on the software. I suspect the whole IC feature will die off in 12 months, will become an optional thing and people will opt out.

#10223 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Why? Only minor changes were made to 1.10 and most were hardware/software updates. No downside to this update.

I dont like the scoring up to BALL 2 when the other players are removed.

#10228 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I finally got a decent video of the air ball. It looks like the ball is going along the outside rail, kicking up onto the left rail and then out. Not sure how to fix that one. I guess I'll just wait for the new ones to arrive.
https://gfycat.com/glossyremotekronosaurus

The first bend seems to be the issue, the ball is pushed towards the left, it rides the guide and bounces off the link. Need a slower video to be sure.
The ball turn on the bend is over corrected I suppose and it should ride the right side more, which is why the right side is taller.

#10286 2 years ago

Quick help needed.

Can someone confirm the resting position of the left ramp wireform?

I took it off to replace some leds and when reinstalling I have noticed that in its resting position it is elevated before bolting it down.

Looks normal to me but want to make sure I am not missing anything

0BDEB6D6-19D5-49C5-990A-5DE2C31D9B72 (resized).jpeg0BDEB6D6-19D5-49C5-990A-5DE2C31D9B72 (resized).jpeg1BF6D649-CB8C-4C4C-9E46-B625E6BAC5F2 (resized).jpeg1BF6D649-CB8C-4C4C-9E46-B625E6BAC5F2 (resized).jpeg8FC93A3F-8670-427C-A50A-6C86382722A9 (resized).jpeg8FC93A3F-8670-427C-A50A-6C86382722A9 (resized).jpeg
#10320 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

I completely understand the tomb treasure "pressure" there. I managed to get 5 tomb treasures in that last game which is more than I've done before and I still feel was more luck than anything else. I haven't even gotten close to doing a 6-way combo so I've got a long way to go before I hit Run to the Hills.

Recently I've been doing this: take advantage of the ball saver by shooting one of the ramps (to set up the add-a-ball) and then exclusively ripping the top spinner/hit the captive ball. Once the ball saver is gone I hit the other ramp for the add-a-ball and then start ripping the spinner/captive ball again. Once that ball saver is done I cradle up and try to separate them so I can hit the bullseye and rip the spinner. With two balls up at the top you can usually get one to fall back down the left side and hit the captive ball if it's lit. Rinse and repeat.
Keep in mind that's only worked twice, but in essentially back-to-back days.

I try to get the spinner right away and get a couple letters while the ball save is up.
I focus on the ramps after the second letter as it gets more complicated to collect switches and find the 3rd ball helps in the process, getting the spinner is harder with more than 3 balls.

All that to say, after not understanding mummy multiball for a solid 4 weeks thinking it was harder than it was, I finally read up the rules and tried it and been getting it pretty much every other game!

Since this change in strategy I have managed to collect 3 cards! Lol
Was only missing 2 minutes to midnight and drained.

For now, I think that if I get mummy card on ball 1 I might have a better chance to get to the beast.

And agree, pinball is very psychological. If you are off, tired, bad mood or simply not feeling it, the table will almost 99.9% reflect that with crappy scores.

If I am teaching someone how to play the game, it seems to release the pressure and I often play better than when on my own.
It is very strange.

#10322 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

My guess is it came off the center ramp in a crazy way. I've had some insane air balls off that center ramp shot, but they usually shoot out the left side and end up in the wireform or bumper area on the left.
By the way do you guys think this bent rail could be causing my autoplunge to fail a lot? I think it's always been like this but not sure. I tried to bend it back but it's hardened or something, not easy to bend at all.[quoted image]

I really doubt the ball really touches that rail on the way out.
A slow motion vid will reveal it.

As far as ball guide adjustment goes, I had 99.9% success in mine after the last adjustment I did: over shoot the ball closer to the small flipper bat, then adjust by lowering the power in settings. It has been great after 200 games.

#10338 2 years ago

right ramp I usually a lot harder for me than the left.

#10343 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks but I've already filed the crossmembers down so I'm pretty confident it's not them. In the video you can see it clear them without issue but as soon as it goes to take the bend it rides up on the right rail and then hops.

the right rail is over bent, gives the ball too much free space and the ball bounces off towards the left.
The issue is clearly at the bent, I mentioned this I believe a few posts ago as it was already clear to me in the first video you had sent...

In this episode of 'screaming to the clouds'... lol

Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

The first bend seems to be the issue, the ball is pushed towards the left, it rides the guide and bounces off the link. Need a slower video to be sure.
The ball turn on the bend is over corrected I suppose and it should ride the right side more, which is why the right side is taller.

I am even more certain of this issue now, I can see how the light reflects off the rail in the section you circled up and it is clearly bent out of shape at the bend.
Too much air in between the ball and the right rail and physics are not helping here, need to reduce the gap so the rail acts like a guide and therefore prevent the bounce.

There is no easy way to fix this without a proper jig to bend everything up uniformly, do not try pliers, you will be sorry in my experience the wireworm are just too 'thick' and hard.

I think that securing it in a vise and trying to close the wireworm might work - only the top portion- where the tape is might work, the issue is that if you over do it, then bending back is nearly impossible.

Just like you did with tape, I think that you need to close the gap in between the ball and the rail I think.

#10368 2 years ago

Not sure if it was mentioned before, inspect the coil sleeve and the coil to make sure it is not just simply a bad coil and or sleeve.

Quoted from mattosborn:

Hey, I admit I'm guilty of juicing up a couple coils over the years. But I just don't think it's needed here.
If your autolauncher is weak, here are some mechanical things to look at:
- When the ball is sitting in the shooter lane, make sure it is not making contact with the tip of the manual shooter rod.
- Make sure the ball is perfectly centered between the autolaunch prongs. Don't be afraid to bend the prongs inward some.
- Check for slop in the autolaunch mech. Usually not an issue with a new pin, but still worth checking. Check the bushings, and add/replace washers as needed. Just don't make it too tight obviously. It's OK to put a little light oil anywhere there's metal-on-metal contact.

#10389 2 years ago

Just turned my game up to 7 degrees and I have to say it seems like a great angle for this table. It changes the flow completely.
It is not just faster but it is just meaner and really fun.
Kinetic city!

Did about 700 games at 6.8 degrees and 7 is night and day. Amazing

#10394 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Yeah I think I'm done praising Stern's service. If you get helped immediately you're good but if anything is in the way it's like pulling teeth. I had to email for two weeks to get an update on the status of my order and when I finally got the single line back that it's on backorder they stopped responding to my inquiries entirely. They just straight up ignore me at this point.

Same experience.
I dealt with Pablo a few times and it was good, then some other dude and it was random.
The experience I have had so far is not great. I always hope that I wont need anything major.

#10409 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

After going from 7.2 to 6.8 degrees I'm finding the auto plunge is hitting a lot more consistently. That along with most people saying it hits better after waxing and the stronger coil worked for a few people it seems to me that more speed is better for making it get around consistently.
I ordered the stronger coil just to see so I'll report my findings when it arrives.
I'm getting killed with the left outlane lately though. I'm getting a drain off the upper left slingshot into the triangle rubber below the plunger lane exit directly into the left outlane. It's so fast I have no time to react and it usually goes clean into the outlane. Killed one of my best games today.

lol I am the opposite, find 7 degrees makes it more fun and actually perfect for me. 6.8 was too slow for me unless waxed but 100 games later it is slow again.

Also had the best game and beat my own GM today 1.2B and almost made it to the beast again! dammit!

I did notice something cool today, one of the ramps flashed GREEN for a second during a mode and I accidentally made the shot and hit it, this triggered a ball locked completing the 3rd lock for Trooper Multiball. I do not think it is a fluke or bug, but maybe it is and it is highly impossible I will do this again, all that to say, if your ramps ever flash green even for a sec and you get the shot it will give you a virtual BALL LOCK. very cool and strange at the same time.

#10437 2 years ago

I am wondering what the issue really is with these boards....
Are these impossible to fix really? or is it just that the components are too small to solder by hand?

I can do micro soldering, no problem, under a micro scope, I have repaired and stitched pads at around 0.1 mm, that is like a spec of dust....

Not bragging nor trying to show off, I am not an engineer nor have formal training, I am just a guy that likes to do good work....

is it the actual size the problem or is it something else?

#10439 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Pretty sure it's just that soldering these micro components is a lot harder than the normal soldering most of us can do. And with a lot of these boards being layered a screwup can kill them way easier than the older PCBs that had through-hole components and you could like re-drill vias and stuff.
I am pretty good at soldering but the one time I tried to solder something small like on these boards I killed it. Seems like a lot of component level repair on boards with tiny parts like this involves some special equipment like the microscope, hot air station etc.
Based on the stuff I see Louis Rossmann do we could all learn how to do it but I don't know if the average person has the patience or equipment to do it compared to macro size soldering. he does courses though, if anyone is in new york go learn from him and start providing the service to the community!
Also diagnosing without schematics can be pretty hard. Do Stern provide schematics for repair?

no I think they kept the schematics to themselves...

As for micro soldering, I have no issues with SMD stuff and testing double layered smd components, yes it is harder but I can do it...

A semi decent microscope (at around $300) can do these no prob, yes there are more expensive - not needed for my application - . I just fixed other boards with components way smaller than the CPU inside a Stern, I just compared them as I have a pinball machine right next to me.

The only issue I would have is that I have no idea what has failed on these. I would not know what to replace or test, but other than that, the soldering is easy - for me- as I have all the tools to micro solder.

#10443 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Speaking of tiny components, I just found this in my cabinet. Does anyone know what it is? It's very small, looks almost like an LED or something.
I couldn't get a very clear picture but it's a tiny white square with an opaque circle in the middle and a tiny chip looking thing on the opaque part. Flipper linkage for scale in the picture.
[quoted image]
Also got some new flipper linkages and they came with a small metal plug to make the hole in the bushing the right size and probably prevent stretching. My current ones don't have this, but it seems like it's key to keeping this part from wearing out.

only thing that comes to mind the backing of a stand up target, but I am not sure. Check the orb, extra ball skill shot and the X targets... wild guess.

#10444 2 years ago

for those of you having flickering LED lights....

At first I thought Stern's leds were bad/cheap but I just think they are just like comets (?), anyway, if you have flickering leds here and there, you can prevent it by simply reducing the gap in between the led and the socket.
Pics for reference, sorry, bad zoomed in photos off a phone.

I used non-serrated long nose small pliers to shape it down (I was also experimenting with frosted vs clear leds), clears are brighter.

All that to say, no more flickering anywhere when fixed.

To reshape the socket it is easier to remove from underneath the PF, fyi.

Note: I did not do the upper left corner as those live underneath a board and can't be accessed - they are stapled into the PF like the backboard GI, they can only be removed from the top = removing the small flipper assy, and the left ramp, so that is a fight for another day. Of course, the leds there are now flickering, lol.

The rest work perfectly.
IMG_6956 (resized).jpegIMG_6956 (resized).jpegIMG_6957 (resized).jpegIMG_6957 (resized).jpeg

#10447 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Most of my backpanel GIs and a few others around the machine had flicker issues, even after tweaking the sockets themselves. Yesterday I replaced all the problem ones and most of the others that didn't require a lot of disassembly with comets. Flicker went away on all but one. That was fixed with a drop of solder on the bulb contact as suggested by Anony a few days ago.
Did have to remove quite a bit of stuff including the left ramp almost entirely to access one in the upper left corner you mention.
Side note, I have a pro, but I grabbed the lighting diagram from a premium and installed red bulbs in the sockets where the premium uses them standard whites on the pro. The programming that turns those sockets on and off appears to be in the pro code and it gives the same lighting effect. I also put red in socket behind the sarcophagus captive ball which is normally white on both.
I got back and forth on whether I like the effect from the places that normally have them, but even if I do eventually go back to white the one behind the sarcophagus is staying.

yes I did try replacing with comets at first and it seemed to improve but the flickering came back. it has been perfect since adjusting all the sockets to a nice fit around the bulb, no wiggle = no flicker, wiggle inside the socket = flicker.

Adding solder at the bottom, can arguably improve conductivity but ultimately it is making the base thicker, which compresses the spring more and creates more tension, which is good, more tension = less wiggle = less flickering? More than 1 way to skin a cat I guess. Don't like to spend a lot of time soldering under the PF. A splatter can introduce a short turning it into a node board nightmare. Very common when GI shorts happen and finding a GI short is a pain in the A$$.

Adjusting the socket seems to works for me, lol, I am lazy.

If they issues come back, I think I will just replace the bad sockets.

#10464 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

An update on the new coil for the autoplunge. It seems to be better but it's still not 100%. I'd say it went from 1/5 missing to 1/20 missing which is a pretty good improvement.
I felt like the table was a little uneven based on the way the ball was rolling sometimes so maybe if I re-level it will be even better.

have you tried my method?
over shoot by changing the angle of the ball guide on the shooter lane, get it to touch the upper left flipper, then adjust with power setting from the menu.

It has worked perfectly for me. I am over 700 games, and I think I have put over 200 hundred games or more since this adjustment and it has been flawless.

My table is perfectly levelled, and at 7 degrees.

#10466 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Maybe I should try again with the new coil but I actually can't get mine to hit the upper flipper. I have the shooter lane guide pushed up as far as I could and I put a little shim wedge in there to try and avoid it flexing and it still never hits the upper flipper. The misses are all hitting the lower post.
The floor I have it on is terrible though, it's a concrete floor in the basement that's not very even. Makes me wonder if I've never had my game quite level left to right.

Have you removed the guide completely to reshape the angle?

It makes a huge difference to do this, day and night.

If you are simply “pushing” it up and screwing it down, that is not gonna cut it.

I have dealt with mich worse ball guides needing adjusting than this, and take my word, you need to take it off to work the angle. The angle starts much sooner than just the tip, you need to stretch the curve out (sort of flatten it), just a hair.

This is all you need to do.

#10468 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So I'm still at somewhat of an impasse on this. So far I've tried the following:
- disconnecting each led node extension board along the chain from node board 8 (8e first, then d, c, and b) and powering up
- using the chaining cable from 8b to 8c and replacing 8 to 8b with that one (lights on node 8b did not come on), so I can eliminate problems with the CN3 connector plug on the cable
- swapping node board 8 and 9 and re-setting dip switches
Still no lower playfield lights!
Am I looking at maybe a bad LED board (I'm only guessing 8b because that's the first one in the chain from node board 8, and the only one that can't be eliminated from the board tests)?

I would:
Use a multimeter at the connector where power breaks, it can be broken solder joints or simply a bad board.

If no dc power at the connector then remove the boars and inspect the connector, does it wiggle? If it does wiggle, add flux and with a tinned iron tip reflow the pins (no need to add solder).

If the connector is firm, and there is no power, then the board is bad, chech continuity (put the board up against a light and follow the traces to check continuity with your dmm).

If the board has continuity, maybe the problem is not at the board but the node?

#10471 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I need some pinside magic here. Spent about two hours and no luck.
I know the plunger issues (manual and auto) are well documented here but I can't seem to find the solution. My Pro has been perfect on both until I recently changed the armor. I ended up removing the plunger frame (to replace black to to red) but now the manual and automatic plunger don't work.
The ball hits that middle post (right before the upper loop) almost every time. Occasionally it will work for some reason.
I have tried to loosen the bolts and move it around but no luck. The ball is being struck clean and right in the center. If I life the game and make it much more flat (like 2 degrees), it works every time.
Any thoughts?
Video below. I also installed the old plate and no luck.

Looks like your ball guide is out of adjustment, it must have happen during the disassembly of the different parts.

I would focus on this solely as you have clearly shown that manual plunge does not work either.
If manual plunging fails, the issue is 100% the ball guide.

You can experiment by unscrewing the adjustment nut by the flipper and see if opening up the angle works, BUT, as suggested no more than 2 posts ago, for definitive results you must remove the ball guide and adjust the ball guide fully by hand.

To be more precise, if you want the adjustment to withstand the natural vibration of the game before it comes loose and out of adjustment again, the ball guide must be at the perfect angle - if you ignored 90% of this message, just pay attention to the following…
the angle must be perfect at rest.

What do I mean by this… I mean the screw is not there to force the adjustment, it is the to support and anchor.

If you are using force to bend, and then screwing it down to maintain the adjustment, the natural spring tension of the guide will slowly take it off adjustment over time. Also, the angle might still be wrong. Just by taking off and slightly adjusting the guide the angle changes dramatically.

Yours is clearly wrong and needs adjusting.

The only way is to remove the guide, bend - very slightly - by hand, create the need angle that AT REST makes the ball work well. The trick is to maintain alignment of the screw hole as you work the angle.
Take your time here. Make a drawing of the current angle to keep track of your progress.

I did more experimenting with this and documented it here, and other games that were clunk fests. You must remove the guide fully if you want this to work well.

I am really not going to keep reposting the same info over and over, which I just did, but for future reference. I will not be explaining this again, please refer to this post and my previous ones if you are curious.

I am 720 games and I have had this issue before. No more issues in over 300 games.

I understand why people give up, it is not a very intuitive problem to solve.
It all lies on the ball guide. Do you have the new version of the guide or old? New one is missing an anchoring point to allow for more adjustment (barely noticeable).

Why so much detail in my response you might ask?
Because this games sucks when the plunger fails and want to see happy players.

Good luck.

#10475 2 years ago
Quoted from Knackers:

Totally agree with this as I had the exact same experience and now 100% accuracy and have to measure my plunge for super secret skill shot or it just flies past and around the loop.

Yeah definitely worth checking all the simple stuff first.

#10480 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

is it just me or is the shaker obsurdly powerful in this game? Even on minimal the shaker is crazy to me. Shakes the whole damn game often. Just had to turn it off. And this is the pinball life one that I vastly prefer over Sterns. Is it just that powerful on all settings in this game? I didnt notice it much when I first got the game but after playing godzilla and others for a bit and coming back to it I feel like its going to break my game!

Aftermarket shakers are louder than originals.
I prefer Stern’s version.

#10481 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So good news. I fixed it by just pushing up on the exit of that ball guide with a grip tool and that was just enough to have both auto and manual work .
Really appreciate all the additional detail - good to have for the future
This was why I had an issue in the first place although I think it was worth it as I like the red!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I do not think I would recommend this approach, a grip tool has no business working this kink out or pretty much anything in a pinball machine.

By removing 2 nuts, a ramp and 2 screws you can properly adjust by hand without risking damaging anything else.

If it barely makes it, your guide is still off.
Adjust by hand by removing the guide next time. Any other way you risk bending posts, or scratching the art on the PF. You are most likely to do the work a 2nd time.

Anything that needs bending should be removed and taken off the PF.
Ball guides are easily bent once off the pf, no tools needed.

#10484 2 years ago

I hear ya. I had my snickers bar now and feel better lol.

I agree not always necessary. In this case seemed to at least for me.

Merry christmas everyone!

#10490 2 years ago

Best advice is to change it up and play a diff game.
You will see that if you do this your game will improve.
As per the down the middle drain, watch ‘abe’s flip’ video on nudging. He makes awesome content.

I often nudge IM when I hit the sarcophagus just to change the trajectory of the ball.

#10494 2 years ago
Quoted from JPloof:

Red looks amazing on the game. I may be a bit biased though (here’s a pic of mine).[quoted image][quoted image]

I like it!

#10503 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

Got a call from my distributor yesterday, my Iron Maiden premium came in and should ship Monday! Hopefully I'll get it before new years!

Great news! Enjoy one of the best tables yet!

1 week later
#10539 2 years ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

I fixed it!!! I went through and made sure every single connection was secure. Then disabled the ramp. Then reenabled the ramp. And now it’s worked perfectly for five straight games!!

So what was it then?
If disabling/enabling fixed it, I would recommend you flash the code with the card image.
That is typical behaviour when incremental updates are not working well. Flashing the card fixes that

#10541 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Im finally back in the ring.
Will admit to being too addicted to gnr.
Im determined to crack the billionaires club for IMDN in 2022.
I forgot how awesome Maiden is
[quoted image]

It has been kicking my butt for the last 3 weeks!
Before that I was rocking 2-3 eddie cards, now I am barely surviving.
Talk about mental game!

#10545 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

You have Spud's Mackenzie as a guard dog! You must drink Bud Light. Congrats on the new pin. AWESOME game

the pharaoh's guards

#10560 2 years ago

Almost got to the beast again. 1 card away and it was the modes completed card, sooo close.
All the magic happened on ball 3!

#10570 2 years ago

There is no spoon!
-the matrix

man, these pre/le issues are a pain. For me the pro it has been nothing but a blast.
Some games are pros some are premium, this one is certainly a pro -and I typically always try to go premium-

For those new buyers out there… go pro if you buy this game!

#10573 2 years ago

nah, sorry.
But it is your money, if you think a ball lock is worth 2K, you are free to spend it how you see fit.

#10576 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

It's just held on with adhesive. It should peel off with some alcohol and/or force.
My 3m taped one has started curling on the back edge ever so slightly. No issues yet but if the ball rolls up there very slowly it can get caught. Might have just been my tape job but I feel like the carbon fiber is just a better material for this application since it shouldn't curl and create the pull metal does.
Here's another question.
Has anyone adjusted the screw on the loop to make it go faster or slower? I'm considering slowing it down a bit but not sure how much of a difference it actually makes or if there is any way to tell what its set by the factory? (I'm not the first owner of my machine)

Mine is curling too. It is just the metal, but a lot Lot less than with yhe original tape.
If it gets worse I will just try the carbon fiber…

#10580 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Should I be able to hit the bullseye target from the right flipper, on the fly?
I can just about hit the middle ring from a cradle and struggle to hit anything on the fly from the right lower flipper. Pitch about 6.8 - 7.0

It is a hard shot from the right flipper. I have not mastered yet so only take a ahot from the right if time is limited.

#10583 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Ball lock and rising ramp. Expensive, but worth it.

Not for me and it isnt about the money, the value proposition just inst there. Other games need to be premium and this one is not one of them. Ymmv.
Over and out.

#10612 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

While I will admit that it looks cool, in games that I've seen that just have the wire forms powder coated and not the base ramps, something about it, at least to me personally, looks a bit off.
If you were going to go through the effort of powder coating the wireforms, my vote would be to disassemble the metal base ramps and powder coat them as well. Just my opinion, may not be everyone's taste though.
A deep lustrous/metallic cherry red would be my vote

I would do a gold colour for this game. It would match the PF colour and the back panel.

#10663 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Mine has just started doing this too after a year of working flawlessy. I reckon this whole mechanism of hitting the loop correctly hinges on very exact alignment of the ball guide, plunger, angle of the machine and so forth. Any slight change to any of those factors can cause this to go out of whack. I'm sure I can get it to work again, but yeah it's a little annoying.

Manual is not as powerful as auto at 255, that is why it fails.
Your shooter lane ball guide is out of alignment.
Readjust to overshoot closer to upper left flipper in auto set at 255 , once you get the ball high close almost touching upper left flipper then lower the coil power to center the ball.

#10706 2 years ago

I just played my IM after a few weeks of neglecting it (got other gems in here at the moment but they are just passing by) and I can't say without a doubt that this is the most fun packed pin I have ever played. Just incredible, even if you hate IM, the pin is so good.
I typically get bored of games after 500 games, like really bored... IM keeps me coming back.

what a great game!

#10714 2 years ago

I am at almost 1000 games played and do not see the need for plastic protectors.
Where are the issues exactly? maybe I will see them later ?

#10720 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If you like Iron Man that much (and I agree!), you should try Iron Maiden!

lol, ok, I will work in the pin acronyms... I also want to play IM, looks good. Have not played it yet.

#10722 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Not to dissuade you, but I found that pin unbearable. It's a North/South shooter and once you get going side to side at all you'll drain. Maybe it's just not my type of shots but I really don't understand why anyone would play it. As always IMO--I'm sure someone loves this game.

I know someone who owns one and has commented on how brutal it is.

#10725 2 years ago

is it based on Robert D jr movies? lol, talk about derailing the Iron Maiden thread...
anyway

#10729 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

30 loops does get you an extra ball light though, it’s definitely worth getting good at the upper Loop And I like to pound on it whenever I start mummy or trooper with Shoot again flashing or one ball trapped in the other free to swing through the loop

getting loops is the such a sweet shot on this game!

#10732 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I took your guys advice about playing other games to get out of a rut. Here in Canada that's not so easy with things still locked down though so I bought another pin that is pretty much the opposite of Maiden.
It actually worked too, I just got my best score of 450 million and was able to bring a 3x into hallowed be thy name Mummy Multiball. Felt great and now after playing Tee'd Off a bunch I really appreciate just how amazing of a table Maiden is.[quoted image]

Yes, it works! I think it is because we start repeati by the same mistakes without thinking.
Going from a 90s to maiden is gonna be eye opener! Lol

2 weeks later
#10832 2 years ago

very common on short rails. a washer solves it. If you find there is fine dust around the post, the washer will stop any wear. Regardless, if there is no art, it will eventually stop. New sterns are much better with these issues than 2020 and prior. They have redesigned most of the ball guides in most games.

#10835 2 years ago

there is an user that 3d printed horse shoe type washers but round, so you don't need to remove anything just loose it up, slide it in, tight down.

#10837 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Don't really need to print anything.... Just go to the hardware store and pick up some nylon washers (and cut a slot so you can insert them).

Yeah that too, but find the nylon ones too thick.

#10847 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I just got my new wireforms in the mail, so anyone who is waiting on a backordered warranty replacement might see them soon.

great news, hope it all gets sorted out with these now! lets us know

#10861 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Finally got to dig into the package Stern sent me and it's only the left wireform. A little bummed but looking back at the warranty claim they said they'd send me both, so I guess they just had the one in stock.

They do that sometimes. It happened to me before. I am sure you will get them soon.
In the package you should see a piece of paper and if its pending it will show there as not sent.

#10878 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Collector craze has turned total plays into a pissing contest. These machines are durable equipment designed to last through several 10s of thousands of plays/constant shaking in an arcade environment with nothing more than cleaning, fresh balls/wax/rubbers and simple adjustments/repairs with common tools most any adult can do if they sit down and read the manual/call support if they hit something beyond their understanding. At that point a full shop job from a dedicated expert returns them to practically new and the process starts again.
Save the occasional major defect, a machine under 20k plays (often far more) with problems that can't be solved with a few adjustments didn't get even that basic level of care. The difference between a nib and a machine with a few thousand plays that's been properly cared for is all the settling and other random annoyances and adjustments that happen during the first 1k plays have already been dealt with. The glass comes off more in the first 1k plays than the next 5k.

This! Also be aware of people trying to take advantage of a newbie selling games with 1-4 thousand games and being told it is worth less because it is not low plays.
As if the machine had magically worn out or is now a pile of junk even though it had been maintened, cleaned and works 100% perfect.
Ask me how I know.

Low plays means nothing. Poor maintenance and little things such as not protecting the shooter lane etc, will make more damage than the actual plays. This damage occurs actually in the first 100 plays.

#10879 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I tried nylon washers on mine, but even with only light tightening they would deform and bow up - tried several thicknesses. I switched to metal, and cut a notch in some with my Dremel and a small cutoff wheel, to make them U or more C-shaped really, so they can be slipped under a rail around a post with just some loosening.
I used these washers on my Maiden, and preventatively on my SW, and now GZ in a few places. Stern seems to be getting a little better, but even GZ had some spots/rails that very clearly were going to wear from the rails cutting the clear coat.
Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a problem until too late and ended up with some serious chips on my Maiden, luckily almost all under/behind the sarcophagus area (mines a Pro) where you can't really see it at all though. Looks to me like maybe they have redesigned the art in that area on newer builds to allow more wood areas right there and around the captive ball, from those pictures?
Ooh, and you'll get more airballs if you use washers on the rails that have a V-shaped cutout on the rail to guide the ball though, like those on Maiden on either side of the Mummy ball. As that V shape sitting even slightly higher can give some lift to the ball when it hits just right. I didn't find that too extreme on Maiden, but one of the similar rails on GZ I had to remove the washer and go with Mylar only under the rail. It was airball city with washers, even the thinnest best sized ones I've been able to find.

Interesting I have yet to notice any typical ball guide wear in mine. It is approaching 1k plays and in my experience this shows a lot sooner. So my example might be better than earlier runs? It is a bit of a lottery.
I also find that will always be a bit of clear dust in certain parts. But it tends to settle once it reaches certain point.

I like uou prefer the metal washers, gives me a sense of long term security I think. Hehe
I use #8 washers and have not tried cutting the notch, instead I drill and oversize the hole a bit to make fit around the post.
Your method might be better will give it a try.

Could you show us please where are the chipping and problematic spots in your game? It might help current and previous owners who are unaware of it.

I am currently working out all the kinks in a nib DP I just got and this one showed clear dust almost immediately in a lot of places.
Also, another great pin!

#10893 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Up the Irons !! In case you haven’t seen it ,this is the new mod coming from Steve Gouveia.He has a thread dedicated to it so if you want in ,check it out .Im sure it will be limited like his others for WOZ but do not quote me on that .I am a mere mortal .Looks insane !!!!

I typically find mods to be cheaply looking pieces of crap, but this looks awesome

#10909 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Own a pro but have decent time in on a premium too. Love both.
Aesthetically the premium has obvious upgrades, but gameplay wise the pro feels complete. Different? yes. Downgrade? No. Which one you prefer feels like an actual choice rather than a compromise.
The premium is a bit more cerebral. The mummy/sarc/tomb differences give you a bit more to think about, but also a lot more time to think about it while the mechs do their thing.
The pro feels a little more fast and loose, but not out of control or random. The altered shots are satisfying and in all the right places in the flow.
Usually a pro feels like they have an obvious hole in the gameplay even if you haven't played or even seen a premium. The flow or combos get interrupted somewhere and whether a tough shot ends in a dead end or just a moment where there's nothing to do but wait for the ball to find it's way somewhere interesting it feels like the game shouting "COMBO BREAKER!"

What he said. DP pro feels like that on the left orbit (pro).
Own DP premium and have played the pro.
I buy the game that plays better not the one that has needless toys.
Flow for the win, always.
I own Imdn pro

#10914 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

So I searched the posts and didn't find what I'm looking for so I will ask. Does anyone have an issue with the upper left flipper being a wet noodle at times? Seems worse when it's coming down to the flipper and I try to hit to an upper lane, it just seems to gently kit the ball.

sounds like some sort of mechanical binding.

#10916 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

I changed coil stop and sleeve and still happens at times. The flipper moved freely in the coil before and after parts replacement.

just to cross the obvious off, have you check the coil power in the settings?
If it is sound mechanically, then power would be the next question... this is a weird one, one of those head scratchers.

#10930 2 years ago

Unrelated to previous post but for future reference.
I picked up this trick while restoring and maintaining a collection of handplanes(woodworking) I had.

If you want your metal guides or ramps or any mild steel to have that brand new look, literally 3 passes on a 3m pad will restore the look.
Takes 5 seconds if you are slow.

My ramp now after 800 plays.

A78DF47D-C193-4081-BF82-175D06BB358E (resized).jpegA78DF47D-C193-4081-BF82-175D06BB358E (resized).jpegCA792EB4-7102-4684-B383-B5C2F5539C3C (resized).jpegCA792EB4-7102-4684-B383-B5C2F5539C3C (resized).jpeg
#10935 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

That looks great! Was the bottom of your metal ramp that touches the playfield all dinged up from the ball? Was just curious because mine is.
And if it was, it looks like what you did took all that out.
Thanks.

Thanks,
the bottom of the ramp looks a bit shinier than the rest, if I continue sanding with the pad it will be 'erased' but it is a fool's errand because in 10 games the marks will come back. I made it look a hair better and left it alone, I also do not want to change the angle of it just in case, less is more sort of speak.

I would also recommend servicing the mylar under the ramp, very easy to remove and install a fresh one dont forget to wax you pf before! cheers

#10939 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Ive had mylar on the bottom of the ramp since I purchased it .I thought it was on all of them but must have been installed by the guy who originally owned it .No dings .

He is referring to the edge of the ramp ans not the PF. All Pf must have mylar there, otherwise the edge of the ramp will dig in a little, I just removed the factory one 0.003” of an inch thick, no issues underneath.
Installed 0.004” mylar just for good measure.

#10943 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I peeled it back like new under it .

to each their own, I would rather not have the mylar there...

#10975 2 years ago

7 or die!! (With the devil’s voice)

I got to the beast twice this week!! I played this game almost 900 times now and been only 2 cards away the beast until this week, after a complete look over, wax, relevel, adjust, re-mylar ramps and shooter la es, etcetc to make it look nib… I guess the games loves me now.

It was very cool to get there, didnt last long fighting the beast but whatever I’ll take it.

Dont have a pic or anything So cant prove it but I swear I did get there lol

#11007 2 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

For whatever reason this pin inexplicably appeals to those who are not really into the band nor particularly into pinball--they just like this game. Genie-in-the-bottle kind of magic!

True that!

#11014 2 years ago
Quoted from Mro-Tek:

I noticed my cyborg eddie guns have drooped. Has anyone else had this happen? I searched the forum but did not see it mentioned. Is there a more permanent fix than just bending them back up. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.06.20 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.06.20 AM (resized).png
#11037 2 years ago

Sometimes tightening the socket, or in other words, making it smaller so it holds the bulb better helps.
Sometimes it is just the bulb. Replace it.
Sometimes you need to resolder the socket.
Sometimes adding a small dab of solder ok the bulb base really helps.

Sometimes all 4.

Very common to have this do this, until you do what I mention above and it rarely happens ever again.

1 week later
#11062 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

If you bought it nib talk to your distro first and see what they recommend. They might even fix it for you. If you know a local pinball restorer or woodworker see what they recommend.
If you have to do it yourself, clear out the sawdust with canned air then fill it with a wood filler. $5-$15 at home depot near the epoxy. Remove any excess immediately as you don't want to have to sand. Let it soft cure (usually hours) then very carefully remake the hole, first with a small pilot hole and then the original screw. If you let it hard cure (usually days) it will be difficult to drill compared to wood and you'll risk slipping into the wood itself. Soft and hard cure times will be in the instructions.

Quoted from JPloof:

Any thoughts from anyone? Shooter lane guide is a bit loose, auto plunge works ok but manual plunge hits the upper flipper. So went to look at the screw tightening the ball guide down. Seems to have chewed up the hole a bit was lots of sawdust and the hole is now larger than the screw. Use a slightly bigger screw now, some wood glue, or?

Get a hardwood dowel, drill the pf fill the hole with the dowel, glue and cut flush.
Pre drill the hole before screwing back in, enjoy!
Good luck

#11071 2 years ago

One of the most addictive pins I have played.
Take it from a guy that gets bored of pins in 200 plays.
This one is bolted to the floor!

#11076 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

I will start by saying I understand some people will not like this mod and that is cool with me but i have owned this game since release and have owned all of Elwin's titles and it is very rare for a game of his to have a non flowing shot. The super Jackpot deadend shot has always bugged me until i finally came up with a way to address that and to add some more flow.
I am in the final stages of this and should have my custom made wire form welded up in the next day or two then doing some final finishing dress up touches.
To summarize what you are seeing is a 90 degree ramp that replaces the spot target, I will be wiring up optos to mount to the ramp to trigger the switch. I made a new lane guide and the custom wire form (not completed yet) so best of all there is no permanent modification to my game. I was concerned at first i would not have room under that right ramp but to my surprise I actually had quite a bit of room to work with.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is cool!
It is like the ramp in aiq feeding the upper flipper.
I have never been a fan of that dead end ahot either ans not a fan of making this type of changes but admire the vision and the effort.
Awesome

#11088 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

You most likely just need to bend the bracket down a little bit. Should be and easy fix. I'm not sure why a ball would get stuck on the spinner though, it doesn't look that out of whack.

with spinners out of adjustment, the ball hits the edge of the spinner and it chokes up

The spinner is just a few mm too high and the edge stops the ball rather than spinning.

Had the exact same issue with another game.

#11091 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Got the wireform welded up and installed and everything put back together. Got a handful of games on it (dont have my opto stuff from pblife yet so no shot register). I had to bump up the flipper power a little but it still shoots like a dream up there and that shot can now be repeated or just adds some fun flow. Really glad i was able to bring this one to life extremely enjoyable.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty cool!
I would love to see some vids of it working.
You should also find out Elwin’s handle here and tag him, I think he would be happy to see this change. Not because his design was bad but from a ‘design’ point of view he might have a thought or two to share.
Pretty cool stuff cheers

#11107 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Felt pretty smooth. Might still file it just in case. If not, I have these three adjustments in mind once I get some time again:
1. Screw loosened at the top part of the guide and the path moved/bent out of place?
2. That gate on the exit might have shifted and as the ball pass through it, might shift trajectory if that gate is not perpendicular to the exit path
3. Auto plunger shifted and sending the call in awkward path from the get go. This one still looks centered, so not likely but jotting ideas.
This is what it looks like. 1st plunge looked ok, but the following two are more commonly what we see.

this has been discussed in length if you do a search you will find enough info.
You are on the right path, what I will recommend is that you do not use the manual plunger when tuning this shot, you want to tune it with the auto plunger.

If you can get the auto plunger consistently through the upper loop, everything else falls in place.

#11109 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Its all auto plunger. The manual plunger behaves differently but thats b/c the tip is off centered, so not focusing on that.
And yeah, had gone through a few hundred posts referencing auto plunger. good chunk are low trajectory exits into the post and the rest are what I'm experiencing. I'm just jotting down notes of what I see and suspect, along with what I've read, to see if theres anything I might have missed on things to look for

Oh thought it was the manual plunge.

What I see there are two things:
One shot is perfect the next one too high.
That makes me think of 2 things:

The guide is loose and wiggles with every shot changing its trajectory, or,
Your auto plunger is out of wack, and, possibly the coil is dirty giving you intermittent powered shots: strong or weak.

If yoi have inspected the coil and the sleeve and coil arm moved freely and loosely inside the sleeve then inspect the plunger assy for loose parts.
If all is good, inspect the guide and guide screw holding the adjustment down.

#11123 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Yeah, was leaving the guide adjustment for last since it requires removing plastics and such to get to the screw. Having 5-10 minutes free at a time sucks =(

I think we should raname this whole thread from owners club to “how to adjust Iron Maiden shooter lane ballguide” lol

I am surprised that even though this has been discussed 1 million times people insist in asking for help again, to then ignore all the previous knowledge in the threads and the current advice, to then start a journey of their own and their own discovery looking for something new to then wind up exactly where we told them to start…

In this episode of “screaming at the sky”…

Lololol

#11126 2 years ago

All good brother we are here to help regardless. I am always answering these anyways.
This game sucks if the plunger does not work, so I hope you fix it. It makes the game more enjoyable.

This is just a topic that comes up a lot that is all.
Keep us posted. Happy to help, please ignore my sense of humour, lol.

#11128 2 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Does anyone know what the family friendly mode does? Does it take away some the animations or something?

Not sure but It must be a few animations, extra ball comes to mind and maybe a few callouts that are questionable…

#11135 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I left this club a few years ago. People were talking about how to make the auto plunge work correctly every time.
I rejoined the club. Guys are still talking about the same thing. Three years later. Lol!
Just accept it won’t work correctly every time. It makes life so much easier. It doesn’t affect game play in any way.

Lol, true, but mine is 99.9 good!
Try adjusting it in your new one.
Lol

#11138 2 years ago

We should make it a mandatory weekly post... how is you lane today?
did you make it around the loop...?

#tellus

#11143 2 years ago
Quoted from jlock:

I just put up this score, trying. I'm not a superstar but my GC is 1.5B and I routinely crack 600M.
Join me in a IMDN walk of shame. Anyone "beat" me?
[quoted image]

That is a tremendous score. Well done!

#11145 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

That's either very good sarcasm or you thought maybe it was 3 billion...?
Ha ha that's great stuff! I don't know what my lowest score ever is, but it can't be far off that - I think we've all had those games where its plunge -> drain -> ball saved -> drain x3.

Well to be honest, I thought it was 3b lol

I think I have a game under 1M, finally I win at something

#11157 2 years ago

Elwins are awesome!

I like when pins have deep rules without getting ridiculously complicated to memorize like Aiq though.

I think the best Elwin is JP, it just has more shots than any other Elwin and the best code and the best flow of them all.
Theme hurts it otherwise it would be an all time #1.

Godzilla is good, but the code isnt there yet. feels a bit repetitive, but have not played the latest codes so it might be better…

Avengers, good shots with overly complicated code that feels like math home work, terrible animations and awful callouts.
Good flow and some nice shots.

Had it and enjoy it for a bit but sold it very quickly. To me it is Elwin’s worst.

To me Maiden is the 2nd best Elwin and could have been #1 if it had deeper code.
Maiden is the easiest Elwin to master imho.

Maiden is nice because it is quite approachable, easy to understand and once it gets flowing it is just buttery smooth and that makes it fun. I do wish it had more shots and ramps and slightly deeper code and more to do. The game is quite bare and has that flat old time feel but with modern code. Plays fast and flows well.
It is certainly a good game.

Jp would make me a better player, great code and great flow however the shots are way more difficult than in any of the other Elwins. Super technical.
This pin isnt approachable at all and requires lots of time to master.

If I had to pick only 1 Elwin it would be JP.

My 2 cents

#11179 2 years ago

lol
all orbits working ok here!

#11187 2 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:Do these micro switches need wires soldered to them, I’ve never done any soldering before

Please dont practice on your pinball.
Use anything electronic, cheap, lying around and practice there.
Also, do not buy a cheap soldering iron unless you like to suffer and produce mediocre joints.
A good tip and a good iron makes the job 100% easy and produce better joints. Bettee joint=Less resistance, less resistance, more reliability, etc.

Watch the channel “solder fix” on you tube.

Good luck

#11205 2 years ago
Quoted from ZodiacMunch:

On my machine if it comes out slow, like when starting a mode, I usually have to dead bounce it to the left because it is closer to the tip of the right flipper. If it comes out with some speed, like after hitting right orbit or mini loop, it is almost always drop-catchable on the right flipper. I think my machine is level.

Same here.
Wondering if we need to adjust something…

#11223 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

As long as you don't want your testicles to work properly, get the lead-based solder. Just because lead-free works just as well, doesn't mean you shouldn't man up and send some radioactive zombie fetuses out into Adventureland.
It's a switch. Just practice on the damned switch. Soldering is crazy easy. Watch one YouTube video, and you're ready for the big leagues.

Maybe revise your soldering techniques?
Grew up in a shop and playing with solder since 8 years old. I am also tested for lead content in blood due to other hobbies yearly or bi-yearly.
No lead content in my blood.

switching to lead free is due to other regulations, particularly electronics that become obsolete in a short period of time, cant be recycled and therefore contaminating landfills with lead.

Lead solder is absolutely safe unless you are eating chips and licking your fingers while soldering.

Use common sense.

There is absolutely zero need to use lead free solder in anything pinball related unless you like to make your life more difficult for no reason.

1 week later
#11256 2 years ago

7 degrees all day long, it is a blast to play!

#11258 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah, it's a dirty little secret that in general, shallower games are harder. Everyone jacks up their pitch to make them "fast and brutal". LOL No...you just made your game easier to trap up and reduced the side-to-side sling action.
That said...I do prefer most of my games to be a little steeper...usually in the 6.8 or so range, but that varies depending on the game. They each seem to have a sweet spot where they just feel right. I hate a floaty game, but I also hate when a game doesn't flow right or I can't make a backhand that should work, etc. It usually takes some experimenting to find that Goldilocks "just right".

7 degrees or die.

1 week later
#11336 1 year ago

came in to check in and the last few posts are about the orbit/plunge! lol

#11339 1 year ago
Quoted from medeski7:

I'm trying to figure out why Cyborg Multiball is not starting. I finish the pyramid so it qualifies. I seem to always get ramps last. After the last ramp the ramp icon blinks on the monitor but the center ramp isn't flashing. It's always my last ball by the time I make it this far. This last game, I drained and it awarded the cyborg card upon draining. What am I doing wrong?

PRO? I would guess the pharaoh switch is not working.
If all switches are working ok, this is most likely a software issue.
Flash you SD card using the card image on Stern's site and not the incremental update.

#11350 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Which is the better loop protector, the one from Stern or Cliffy?
Are there any advantages to either? Does one protect better than the other?
Thanks

I replaced the tape in the Stern protector with 3m tape and has been going strong for 600+ plays.

#11353 1 year ago

It has been documented here.
Made a post about it before.
Double sided tape, made by 3M. It will not let the protector buckle as the factory tape.
The 3M tape comes off easily with isopropyl.

Protectors, stern or cliff, are the same if you were wondering in my opinion.

#11382 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

wooo! seems it was the shooter lane that had been getting slightly worn that was causing my auto-plungers (then eventually manual as well) to be all jacked up. Put in the shooter lane metal protector and got about 5 games in . went from 0 to 100% on all auto-plunges. Had put in a request for the protectors a month ago, so wasnt really messing around with it much past few weeks.
Now to fix the lamp sockets on the right return ball guide. Thats going to require a bit more testing to see where the issue is since both bulbs flicker and respond to my flipper presses (from the vibrations).

Do a quick search about the flicker. Happens to all new Steen games.
Bad socket, bad bulb, both… easy fix.

It has been discussed a million times

#11383 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yours is a later production model as well. You can see the difference in the two when comparing them side by side. One the artwork extends all the way to the post and the other model it doesn't.
[quoted image]

Go to a Vw dealer and at the parts department buy a clear coat pen.
I am sure other brands have their own pens but sorry I am only familiar with VW. Either way, a clear coat pen of your choice, cover the area with it, let it dry, apply mylar.

Alternatively, Stern has repair kits, which is a small amoubt of sealer for these type of repairs. Same result

Good luck

#11385 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Oh man... Millions of times.... Easy fix. I had taken apart the the flipper assembly to reach the sockets. And they're stapled to the pf with solder covering the staples unto the wood. Not an easy swap to change the socket. And it's two of them responding the same even after swapping bulbs, which I had already tried.

I understand the frustration.
All Sterns are the same. They all gonna flicker. The socket is oversized and with vibration make the bulb come slightly loose.

Unfortunately you went the long way which was unnecessary… yikes.

The socket can be adjusted from the top by removing the ball guides.
All other sockets are easy to unscrew to adjust and I do those like that but not the ones under the flipper unless they still fail after They have been adjusted… which they never really do unless something is terribly bad after the adjustment.

First thing to check is the bulb, but most likely the socket is just too big for the bulb and they wiggle too much.

We did not have these issues with incandescents because the sockets has orings around the screw to absorb vibrations so they rarely came loose.
Leds wont burnt out with vibration like incandescents do so Stern is ko longer using orings around the screws and these are the issues you deal with…

All new sterns with leds do this. My jp premium with 200 plays us doing it as I type this.

Tell tale is the flicker when you flip.

I have posted photos of what a proper socket should look like. I am too lazy to search it for you, my apologies. But it is here on IMDN actually, somewhere and not too far back either.

If you replaced bulbs and they flicker reduced the diamenter of the socket. Have the bulb fot snug. Small plier will fix this in less than 10 minutes if you are slow maybe 1 hour.

#11387 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I don't own the game as of yet but thanks for the idea.
Amazon sells tons of clear coat pens.
amazon.com link »
BTW... Nail Harder works just as well but a clear coat with a little brush like this is probably a slightly better fix.
amazon.com link »

I am pretty sure clear coat pens are the same chem as nail hardener. The clear on the game is a 2k product (2 part) and the prn will not be that because once the hardener is mixed the pen would bot last more than 1 week which they do, so that tells me clear pens are not exactly clear coat.
Only suggested clear pens because I am familiar with them, lol.
Al that to say, nail hardener is probably just as good as the pen, easier to find and cheaper.

4 weeks later
#11495 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I'm sure it's normal and a little metal polish would take care of it in a jiff.

Dirty balls and too much wax. Also using the wrong chemicals for cleaning will only promote more trails. People like to use creamy polisher as cleaners. Bad idea.
Too much wax also next culprit.

Clean the pf with iso alcohol, 99% kind.

My ramps are new after 900 plays.

#11497 1 year ago
Quoted from craif:

and a visit from a scotchbrite pad at 800, no?

No for the ramps, only did the pharaoh. Never had to touch the right or left.

In my experience metal ramps get balls trails when using too much wax or adding too much of something…

The pf gets greasy and the balls track it everywhere.

Sometimes it looks clean as a whistle but it is still greasy.

I clean my pf with iso alcohol and wax every 200 games.

Do not use iso alc on painted plastics! but on tbe pf is good.

I came into the hobby with some knowledge from the paint world and I treat clear coat as clear coat. People have been cleaning clear coat with the wrong chemicals for too long and the old wives tale of novus (a plastic polishing compound).
The compound on itself is ok to use, but clear needs to be clean clean clean. In the auto world I would use certain”erasers” to remove these chemicals off the clear but in the pinball world iso alcohol works great.

You are otherwise wiping and smearing dirt on the pf eternally rather than cleaning… it is not that difficult to grasp if you treat clear as clear and not as a PINBALl specific chemical…

It is clear!!!

That said The ramps might show a bit of wear where the balls rolls on and yes, that can be removed with the pad I used before for the pharaoh, which I will but dont think it is bad for now… will get to that later.

347CE71F-8DD9-46AC-95A2-A0C46B33E1CF (resized).jpeg347CE71F-8DD9-46AC-95A2-A0C46B33E1CF (resized).jpeg5B803545-9922-4F2A-861E-CAD15052EEA7 (resized).jpeg5B803545-9922-4F2A-861E-CAD15052EEA7 (resized).jpeg

#11499 1 year ago
Quoted from Biju:

Just so I understand your methodology, the alcohol is used to clean the (old) wax off and clean the clear, then apply new wax?

The alcohol will remove most chemicals. 99% iso alcohol makes for very good degreaser.

Iso on a rag, wipe gently and that is it.

If ball trails persist I use proper chemicals and polishing techniques. Clear scratches very easily when using finger pressure as it is quite irregular vs a pad that applies the same pressure to the same spot…

Getting to geeky now and the novus lovers might jump at my neck because “this is bow is been done for 40 years” lol so gonna stop here but if you want to hear how I do it, shoot me a message and I’ll share more of my process.

#11501 1 year ago
Quoted from craif:

Fair enough. I've been thinking about trying your scotchbrite tech on my side ramps. Thoughts?
I've got trails at this point but... uh... way more than 900 plays. It's kinda embarrassing how slowly I've been improving at this game. But on the upside all that play really comes through other games I used to suck at that feel like a cakewalk now.

Those scotch pads are perfect for pinball! They give the ramp the proper grainy look they need. I dont want to polish the ramps with anything else unless you want to see more trails quicker, they will stand out like crazy? I like the grainy polished look from the factory. The pads are actually maybe a hair finer but they work.

Yes, if you want more details about how to do it, I can share some tips. Just shoot me a msg.

#11512 1 year ago

I am so lucky I picked up one last Nov and right before the price bump. Iron Maiden, Jurassic Park and Godzilla, absolutely no doubt the best pins ever made.
Keith is no doubt the best pinball designer, he gets the layout but he also gets the rules and what makes a shot, a good shot. Just a perfect trifecta.
There nobody else with this talent currently, nobody has all 3 and it shows.

Stern is very lucky to have him!

#11513 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Such a phenomenal game... It'll go down as one of the all time greats, well done Stern.

More like well done Keith Elwin. This game was the game that got him the job at Stern and it was originally a home brew made by Elwin.

#11532 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Does anyone know how to tighten up the auto ball launcher? It is loose from side to side and wiggles a bit when launching, causing the ball to rattle in the shooter lane.
All screws are tight underneath, but still have some give moving side to side.

Rmmmh… I suspect it is normal. Post a video of what you see it doing if you can.

#11537 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Almost certainly is not normal for the ball to bounce around this much out of the shooter lane. Still struggling to find out why it's so loose.
https://imgur.com/9lTVGTf
https://imgur.com/GSHreyU

That play in mine is the same. All my Sterns actually.
I think the ball is being shot to the left, the assy might not be straight? Therefore shooting the ball a few degrees to the left?
If the video was a bit slower you might be able to pick up why the ball is going to the left and bouncing off the rail.

#11539 1 year ago
Quoted from Knackers:

I just noticed my protector is bent up as others have mentioned in many previous posts. When replacing the tape I presume you removed the protector first. I was wondering how you get it off as the mofo is stuck down pretty darn hard and I can't find any mention of this.
I will also add that I haven't had any problems playing the game but was just looking as I was cleaning. I had read about it here and thought I better look.

Isopropyl alcohol 99% will help.
If not, just play it more and it will bend enough that you will be able to pull it off from the bend by working it out slow.

It does not have a lot of glue under it from the factory, at least mine didn’t.

#11544 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

F*$#ing Side Blades! First attempt... FAILURE!
[quoted image]

That is why I like the original sterns, they are thick and lay down flat with no wrinkles.
I use clamps to hold them in place and that is it. Very simple.
A sticker type like that one is much prone to wrinkles and you will need something like rapid tac to stretch out and move as needed.

#11549 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

That is the OEM Stern one. It had nothing to do with it laying on their flush, that wasn't the issue.

Oh sorry thought it was a sticket type/thin. I install mine all the time with the pf installed, just me and no help.
I use clamps to hold it place, once in position I peel the sticky part as I go, I do not remove the sticky back fully before then or any time prior.
In other words, you lay down the art with the backer on and once in place, you peel it off as you go very slowly just like when installing a cab decal.

I think the mistake most people make is removing the backing fully before placing it. It might not be what happened here.
Using clamps worked really good as an extra set of hands.

Good luck on tbe next one

#11550 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

All the Stern ones are nice, thick material and go on easy. EXCEPT Iron Maiden. IDK why but the Stern Iron Maiden ones are a different material, thin and flimsy. I managed to get them installed but they were a PITA compared to all other Stern art blades.

Ahhh good to know, that is why then.
Certainly that is why it is difficult to install. The thicker ones are very easy to install.

#11556 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I have the slo-mo vid in front of me and it's going left because of the loose launcher.
I've had 5 Sterns now and this is the first time the auto-launch is so loose.
At this point, I'm not looking to diagnose the issue, I'm trying to find out how to tighten this launcher from wiggling. It is not normal.
Maybe I need to add some washers or something, to stop the excess left-right play.

although I agree that it might be on the loosey loose side, I think something is out of square, the fact that it is always going to the left and not randomly to any other side might be the clue?

#11560 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

What is it about Iron Maiden's ramps that makes them so hard to hit? I just got a Metallica and I can hit the ramps almost at will. On Maiden I'm like 2/10 for the left ramp and at best 50/50 for the right.

Elwin’s magic sauce

#11577 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Does it include a left testicle?

it comes with a 'lesson's learned' VHS on what not to do when installing these.

I am Jose Mourinho....

just kidding just kidding!

#11589 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

This becomes a pain at times to get it "just right". I've had to adjust it several times where its either too sensitive or requires a certain strength to hit it. And the issue comes from two things. Either the way the pole from the ball sits in the plastic pocket, or the spacing in the switches that trigger when that level gets bumped from a hit. I would get it find for 100-200 plays then it becomes finicky again.
[quoted image]

Or go pro and never worry about this ever again plus making yhe game more challenging, as hitting the target is more difficult on the pro.
Lol

1 week later
#11597 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Any advice on doing this without making them look like ass?
I tried a small patch and it looked kind of streaky, like it was leaving scratches. I'm guessing as I do the whole piece it will blend in but I didn't want to go any further and mess things up.
Do you do a few swipes in one direction? I was doing a circular motion which I'm guessing is wrong.
Also do you remove the right and left ramps when you do them or just do them in the cabinet?

The concept of polishing applies but polishing metal is somewhat different than clear coat (where you do go in circular motions).

As mentioned, follow the grain of the metal which in this case is already visible on the piece.

You want to go straight, square, in the direction of the grain.

First, do you have the pad I posted? They are different grits.

Call me, it is easier and I can explain on video chat. Pm sent.

#11599 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Last weekend I wrenched on Maiden LE installing Cliffy protectors, PinMonk flipper cooling kit, staircase ramp decals, 22-600 auto launch coil, etc. first game I played after these upgrades, I broke 1B with two Eddie cards, Two Minutes to Midnight and a whole bunch of other mode champion scores. The auto launch now hits the main orbit almost every time with the stronger coil set at 255.
Really cool to see the game auto load and release the three balls during Trooper multiball…I don’t recall that game feature ever working since I unboxed the game. When everything works properly, this game is such a damn rush. Oh, and I applied a few drops of Super Lube on the spinner while I was working on the game and got spinner master on that very first game. That stuff really works.
The PinMonk fans also function as advertised. Flipper fade on long games is significantly reduced. It’s very noticeable and I plan to also install his kits on Alice Cooper, GNR and Rick & Morty soon
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have been questioning if I should upgrade to the Premium.
I like the pro too much and sometimes pros are better.
Just on the fence as I think these game will be archived soon and dont want a 2nd hand premium, but the upgrades dont seem to be that awesome to me. The pro is so cool! And mine plays like a dream!

Never had an issue since I bought, only tweaks needed were the protector and auto launch but all good since game 80!

Keep flipping

#11604 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

To me it's not about "better or worse", my measurement is; is the pro a good enough representation of the game not to justify the price step up to a premium for what you get for the price. For me, the pro checks that box. This is coming from someone who literally only goes for premium or LE as you can see from my past/current collection. The only other pro I've owned (I don't count the Tron), was Metallica which I sold and bought an Prem for the hammer, cross, and lighting (frankly just for the hammer... I love that thing).

I want a Tron! Dammit Stern make more!

#11607 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

to me Black Knight - upper PF is worse than the pro.

1000% ^^^

#11613 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Got premium is worse than Pro. Upper playfield messes with the flow, adds a unrelated multiball (i.e., is only for points, not wizard mode progression), and worst part, is makes the playfield very dirty and hard to clean.

I dislike almost any game with upper playfields - I have discovered - and feel like you here

#11643 1 year ago
Quoted from craif:

I played both first. Extensively.
I got tired of waiting for the sarc mech. It just doesn't fit in with the way I personally like to play and my biggest frustration with a lot of premiums. The mechs are cool to watch when I'm in the mood and fun to show off but day-to-day it's an interruption to a fast and furious flow and another thing to break. Maiden is far from the worst offender and at least adds some interesting shot decisions in trade but it just loses it's charm for me after awhile.
All that said when someone prefers the premium that's totally fine. My typical playstyle and priorities are not universal. I hop on every chance I get to play a premium. When I find them on location I often end up walking right past other games to shovel quarters. It's a nice change of pace and GOAT level in either trim. If I actually bothered to rate games I'd probably have them as 1 & 2.
I did add the premium sculpts because they're awesome. If the premium lightshow and/or art were $$ options for the pro I would have considered it.

I always buy premium, imdn was my first pro and I love how fast and furious it is.
Next To it lives my JP prem and the trex was cool for the first 100 games and now I just want the ball back, by pressing both flippers you can recall it and I do it 95% of the time.

If the cab in JP pro was not so disgustingly cheap looking I would be looking at selling my prem and getting A pro.

2 weeks later
#11660 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Question isnt IMDN specific, but....I dont have experience with decal materials. The side of my cab art had a scuff in which Stern sent me a replacement decal. It was kinda crushed in the mail it seems, and before I go and remove the old on, I wanted to ask if with these kinds of materials do creases flatten out when removed from the backing paper? Photo is one of a couple of other similar spots.

mmmh, that is a good question. Curious to know what you find out

#11664 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Finely Iron Maiden Premium in my line up.
Originally I had a Maiden Pro and sold it in the before time with the intent to get a IM Premium.
Ended up missing out on the initial runs and outbid on a IM LE so time marched on and I started
to regret selling Maiden Pro. Since I have access to a IM pro recently, I decided to get the Premium.
This game sits next to Godzilla Premium and Deadpool Premium for a reason. Newness bias be
damned this game straight up rocks. Want put that Stranger Things scene in the game with Eddie
holding the Cassette tape with Maiden on it.. Would make a killer Attract

How do you like the premium over the Pro? I have been debating an upgrade but never played the pro and I like the Pro a lot, wondering if they premium is slower??

#11668 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

The best mod for the game, hands down IMO.

That is the best mode I have seen in pics. Looks amazing.

On that note I like to report:
My auto plunge still works 100%

Also, now seriously, just dropped the game to 6.5 degrees and - just realized - the flipper were not as droppy as they should have been so I made them be… lol

Never had my ass kicked by my own game like that. I just realized, it was set up easier from the factory and I believe Elwin designed this game for droppy flippers.

Let me tell you, I used to get everything on this game… all the shots, now everything is on a different place not to mention the ball is really hard to cradle…

Kicked my asssss!!!! And loved it. I was getting bored of the game to be honest Although I never managed to finish it I can get through 70% often, but now?!… holly crap, it is a different game.
I need to relearn all the shots!

#11671 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

What’s with the droppy….. isn’t it droopy??

Lolol. Yeah droopy

Quoted from Sleal16:

so droppy....lowered past the hole markers? or had them higher then put them to the markers

Droopy is below the dots. It will change the geometry of the shots.
The tip of the flipper bat - not the rubber - is just below the dot.

#11680 1 year ago

Zilla is a long player, is the easiest Elwin to play.
Iron Maiden can be tough but can also be easier if you set it up.
Iron Maiden is for me the best Elwin, and Zilla the second best by a hair.
Jp 3rd no doubt also awesome and tough.
If you think Iron Maiden was tough play JP and report back. Lol

#11690 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I am going to say if they do rerun it, my guess is Pro's only but that is strictly a guess.

I was watching a stream of IMDN premium to see if it was worth the upgrade and I have to say, I think the premium looked easier to play than the pro. Of course, this might only be my imagination but to start a mode in the pro you have to make the ramp whereas in the premium is just shooting the 'underworld' under the ramp. Arguably the underworld shot is much easier once you played for 20 min and you have flipper fade. lol

The mummy lock is sort of cool but not worth the 3K Canadian pesos it would cost me...

Anyway, that is it.

lol

Plunger report:
Looky Looky, after changing pitch and else. My manual plunge now hits the upper flipper! lol auto plunge is perfect at 200 power! so lots of room for adjustment.
Another side note. I am enjoying the game a lot more at 6.5 and droopy flippers - the ball is harder to control now and the game plays faster than before - to my surprise!
ymmv
Here we go again at tuning the shooter lane.

Cheers!

#11693 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

I've been starting my games at 6.5 and bumping from there till it feels correct. IMDN I have at 6.8 as 6.5 felt little sluggish. Did you have it lower than that before?
And reporting in here as well....Ever since installing the shooter lane protectors, auto plunge has been pretty immaculate for a couple of months now.

My game was 7 degrees. It was too easy to play, easy to craddle and the flippers were not droopy, or as droop as they could have been.

When at 7 at the flippers that put my upper pf portion at about 7.4 degrees.

It felt good and fast but it did not play as well - I know realize - after 800 plays like that, that the current pitch is better.

6.5 at the flipper put the upper pf portion at about 6.8-9 and now it plays how I like it.
The droopy flippers also make the ramps much more doable AND lighting fast.
The game plays reallly really well now - it scares me how fast it plays.

I use a digital angle finder to calculqte pitch and it is very accurate. I recommend it. It is the tool of choice woodworkers use to set up a table saw. Works really well.

I recommend you measure top and bottom portions of the pf as just using the flippers will always return a smaller number than the top I find. So I tend to average according to the particular pf.
Yeah I am crazy I know.

1 week later
#11717 1 year ago
Quoted from craif:

I'm still on 1.08 as 1.10 didn't appear to affect gameplay if you didn't have an IC kit.
This has a few more under the hood changes but still doesn't change much for a home user without an IC kit.
I wonder what happens if you install a generic wifi dongle, borrow an IC apron, configure IC, setup home team, then switch back to the old apron. Would it still let you stay connected/log in to saved home team users despite the missing card reader? Would CIPWM be enabled on the pro?
If anyone with the IC kit feels like setting up home team and then disconnecting their card reader to find out it would much appreciated!

I want to do this as well but I do not want to pay $300 for a $20 dollar reader and a $5 dongle, these are dime a dozen in china. I think somebody made a 3D printer adapter so you can buy a reader and install the reader to where the BILL accepter is supposed to go. I have not look into this because I do not own a 3d printer yet.

Anybody with experience on how to make your own reader? I know it has been done

#11721 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

the 3d printed adapter is for the IC kits, not for a generic scanner. The readers and dongle are easy to come by, but its the extra firmware on the circuit that treats it as a node board in the chain. I havent seen that node board custom made or emulated, unless I've missed that somewhere.

Right. I thought it was connecting to the coin door but if I remember correctly there is another controller in between.
Rmmh…
Wonder if the controller can be made cheaper?

#11741 1 year ago
Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

Swapped the pops for clear to better show off the art. This is my new must do on every machine! [quoted image]

So much better!!! Thanks
Where did you get them?

#11749 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Finally getting around to messing around with the game this past week. Got my tomb guard painted a quick statue color. Will try other color schemes next week when time permits. Installed Gus after having it stored for a couple of months. Art blades installed as well. Its feeling very different, in a great way. Changing out the flippers, rubbers, and the NECA piece of mind Eddie to replace the stock figure in the coming week as well.

Love the anubis. Who makes that?
Or a thingiverse print?

#11751 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Thanks! Part of a backboard project I'm working on over the next year. Since this piece can be standalone, will probably offer it in painted or ready-to-paint (DIY) in a couple of weeks once I finish and test some edits

Looks awesome. I want to get into 3d printing. Great levelnof detail.
What printer/system is this?

#11754 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Its resin printed on a Saturn 2. Different beast in producing stuff compared to FDM printers. Uncured resin is pretty toxic so needs proper handling and ventilation, along with post processing to clean/finalize the surface. This is what this piece looks like freshly washed in IPA alcohol. The detail that it can make is crazy good.
[quoted image]

I need to read more on what the toxicity is and the dangers of it because I really like the definition on that model

#11760 1 year ago

easy pass on that, it is ok but not on the same league as the previous one listed.

#11771 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Hands down (IMO) the best (Non-Stern) mod for Iron Maiden.
[quoted image]

the attention to detail is amazing, looks really cool

2 weeks later
#11826 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

The game plays the same with or without. I am steering less and less away from modding the hell out of my games these days because people really don't seem to care about them when you go to sell it. I have also noticed in the past that some people don't take the time to install a lot of these mods carefully either which leads to subpar installation IMO.
With all this said, it is the nicest mod I have ever bought for a pinball machine that wasn't from the manufacturer and further more no one forced me to buy it either. It's a very nice mod with a hefty price tag but it is, what it is. I am not in the lesast bit sorry that I bought it and God knows how much work goes into building one of them either!

^^^^
This

Most people are really shitty techs, lack attention to detail and often make the machine play worse for a blinky light.

And the mods are often a loss when selling.

Paying lior prices for a sculpture, no thanks. I play pinball, it is a kinetic + sound experience for me not a beauty contest.

The only really cool mod I can think of:
tron Eli ramps

#11836 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Just feel the end of the guide where the ball exits that little gate from the plunge lane and see if you feel any bur or roughness on the edge. If you do get a file and try to flatten it out.
You can also take off the plastic and there is an adjustment screw. Loosen it a bit and push the guide in whichever direction it needs to go based on how yours is failing, then tighten it back up.
I will say though even after I upgraded the solenoid on the autoplunge to be bigger, removed the bur and adjusted the guide mine has never been 100%. It might have to do with the machine not being perfectly level, but I think it's just a design that is flawed and expecting 100% is unrealistic.

not to start a pissing contest but mine is 100% and has been since I dialled it in .

1 month later
#12011 1 year ago

Putting decals on steel ramps…it’s a sin.

2 weeks later
#12075 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

The opto triggers when I hit the captive mummy ball in switch test too so something is amiss. It even triggered on its own

mmmh, sounds like vibration is causing this, OR there is a short somewhere.
Easiest way to diagnose is to - as much as possible- isolate.
I would add vibration by slightly stumping on the PF with your hand on switch test.

Have you inspected the opto mount? I suspect that the OPTO is lose and when it vibrated the beam is reading as if a ball just went through, could it be that the beam gets off centre and sees a ball guide, a ramp edge, or else... triggering the switch.

Alternatively, you can disconnect the opto and then you can JUMP the opto with a cable (ideally a jumper that fits well or alligator clips) at the node board and close it, then you can activate the flippers and see if the switch still opens and closes with vibration.

If this happens after you disconnected the opto then the node board has a short, could be a bad header maybe or something else (rare for a game so new).

My first choice would be to investigate the obvious, which is the way the opto in mounted.

cheers.

#12080 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Back in the club for the third time. Will try my best to get into the game this time! First three song swaps

You should never let it go. This is one of thr best layouts in pinball!
Great about the songs. There are a couple I would like to change.

#12087 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I had a friend help me with the image files. Yes, it was done with PB. Not too bad once you find where to swap them out. I detailed it in the PB thread.

that is cool! please could you throw us the link, I really want to know more thanks!

#12094 1 year ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Here ya go! I have since powdered apron and speaker panel.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome.
How is the powder coating holding up at the ramps?

#12109 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Don't play as much as I used to these days. Mans still got it
[quoted image]

Is it leaning the other way?

Excellent score!

#12123 1 year ago

premium art is bad, the pro inst great either. Not a fan of the art in this game in general but have not seen a LE in person...

#12130 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Printing the translite. Did the Rush LE and turned out perfect.

I would love to make my own translates. what material do you use?

#12135 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

It's got to be the exclusivity thing. If anyone can buy a premium and easily make it look exactly like an LE then the LE isn't really limited anymore.

There is nothing Le about the Le, other the unique cab decals. Everything else can be added after.
The le has always been a scam to me to justify the price scheme.
They give you a strip down un-upgradeable pro or an overpriced premium now.

The pro should be upgradeable, buy the bits to get it there to premium level.Just a node board and extra ramp and other bits.
But no.
They corner you so you go to premium. This is ending now, most people will not buy NIB anymore.
I am out of nib for the forseable future, cant justify these prices. Will enjoy older pins going forward.

But Stern biz model is about making quick money, out of the door and done. They are not in the business of selling parts so unless the current model breaks I see no change here but I think it might happen.

#12137 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

It's a "business" like any other No company is in the game to make a loss!!

of course, but they do not provide support. The sell what they make, the cake is made you do not get to buy the ingredients. The could easily sell a pro that can be upgraded, BUT they do not.

#12140 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Perhaps broaden your viewpoint just for a second and put this same blowtorch you are holding to virtually EVERY company out there, think you'll find that this is across the board, not just related to Stern. Just seems a tad odd to hold this against one company when most want quick profits whenever possible yeah??

I don't understand your comment, I don't think there is anything personally against a company, just pointing out that this is a pinball forum so the comment above is related to the discussion at hand to what a company is doing or not doing. It is not a witch hunt, it is simple common sense...

I foresee Stern also shrinking and firing a few dozen employees in the near future, particularly those in web development that really just cost money. I suspect the first ones on the chopping board are the 'insider connect crew'... This has already been happening on bigger companies where they chopped off 'new developments' and Stern is really small in comparison but I think they expanded too fast over the last 2 years.
There is no room to grow now but to maintain. The goal is to keep selling and keep profits high. Flash news, I doubt they are selling as much as 6 months ago, so something gotta give. Distros have JJP TS4, BOND PRO AND PREM unsold and some LE...
Something is changing.

The price increase is to cushion some of the upcoming depreciation of these machines that will no longer be sold for NIB prices in the used market. Stern took the scalpers role and we are now paying it if you want it NIB.

In other words, I expect that at any rate the 'faux' pinflation we are currently coming out of will be even more notable in the next 6 months as rates will continue to go up a at least likely another .5 in the new year. They are just giving us a break now before the holidays, to promote spending and to go easy on us. Come 2023, get ready for another higher lending rates. We will then see pre covid prices in the used market...

I do expect the secondary to soften to the numbers they need to be at, which is $1500 to $2000 under the current prices across the board.

#12142 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

You don't understand simple economics??
I never said it was a witch hunt against Stern, just saying there's no difference to any company out there trying to make a buck and tbh most individuals are after a fast dollar too.

Well, I dont think justifying price gauging using simple economics is fair.
The fact that only 2 manufacturers did this only recently, actually, defeats your argument.
We will see if CGC does it but I doubt it, they seem to have higher standards than Stern and JJP.

If it was simple economics all pinball companies would have had a price change now and that did not happen.

So in my opinion, I disagree with you and this isn’t simple economics at all actually… It is a company squeezing their client base to satisfy share holders…

#12150 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Yeah i get it, both of you are pissed at Stern for raising prices on machines
There's one easy fix for that... DON'T BUY any more NIB and maybe, instead of bitching in the Maiden thread, go across to the next stern machine thread and join the whining there. Do i like the price rise NO but you don't see me whinging about it either, i'll just vote with my pocket instead of crapping on about it. As we all know, the market will ultimately end up deciding if the price hikes are sustainable. Also, as you both will know, prices on pretty much everything we consume/use in life continue to rise.

You never know whqt people are going through… this is one of those posts it seems.

Carry on

#12156 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

What a weird response. I specifically said I was annoyed at them not filling my warranty claim when they were producing the machine I was waiting for a part on... I have no idea what you are talking about with prices. That has nothing to do with my situation. Supply is obviously way below demand right now, raising the prices makes perfect sense.
Do you think it's good business to make someone wait a year to replace a defective part while you continue to produce said part and give it to new customers?

forget about it Anony , he is just trolling the thread.
Carry on

#12174 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

That's a bizarre thing to say considering your history in threads i've observed so far. I DON'T troll threads and never have mate but it's a nice deflection though innit I've been in this club thread basically from the start and have generally only posted positive things + helped out others whenever i could. Read back through the pages if you wish, the proof is there for everyone to see. And while you're at it, check out the other club threads i've posted in, that will also prove it + dispel your "troll" comment. Keep that kind of thing to yourself mate!!

What was that…
Getting weirder by the sec

#12190 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

This plastic piece broke on me last night and it doens't look like there is a spare in the plastics that came with my game. Does anyone know if there's a way to get this piece without buying the whole kit? I don't mind buying a few extras of other parts but the only kits I can find with this piece are $180![quoted image]

Chexk the post abd rubber. Those posts there get a beating. I am sure it is loose.
If you have removed the rubber there recently make sure the cone is not upside down or will pull the ball up, hitting the plastic.

#12221 1 year ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Trick question is literally doesn’t matter. Both incredible. You’ll trade one for the other in 6-12-18 months. Easy.

get IMDN now and GZ later, likely GZ will cost you more later but maybe not, that said A LOT of GZ being made and will be made for years whereas IMDN might be done soon...
I have both lol

#12222 1 year ago
Quoted from Billygrippo:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a premium apron so I can swap out the crappy plastic one on the pro…..

PRO pf does not have the holes for the premium apron, so you will have to drill them out. This is easier said than done and requires a little skill: good measuring and likely you will need a template. Once you have this the drilling is easy, I would make the template out of a sticky material, mylar type or acrylic. I would use a circuit or silhouette type machine to cut it, lay it down and drill on the mark. This way also you will prevent the wood and the art from splitting on the top layer.
You will need to add a piece of wood or something UNDER the pf as well, so the wood does not splinter and break the top layer of the ply as the drill exits.

A little prep goes a long way to make it look good. You can use ANY spike 2 apron.

I am planning on doing this myself, a friend has an apron for me but have too many projects to even bother at the moment.

Another alternative is using the apron that pinball life sell, however it has no art and no cutouts unlike the spike II and the attachment is different (whitestar/sam style).
I am working with someone else in creating a custom apron for TRON and we are finding all these alternatives overwhelming...

IT can be done. Ultimately, you can design and send to cut and bend your own apron.

#12231 1 year ago

I have not played the premium but people complain about the orb mech being very unreliable, also the underworld lock is sort of lame. I really have a hard time buying any premium but this one certainly does not make sense to me. All my other games are actually premium, except for Guardians which I also thing is really ok in a pro.
Anyways...

Enjoy! I love mine and it will never leave my house.

#12234 1 year ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

The pro is great, personally I really like the sarcophagus lock and the ramp/underworld. But I also think the premium art package is by far the best of the 3, all of it together made me go for the premium and have never had a second thought about not going with a pro.
Just upgraded my GZ pro to a premium, that one I am still 52%/48% if I made the correct decision.

interesting, I played GZ pro and it really feels a bit naked to me. GZ is Premium or nothing to me...

#12264 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

The premium would look incredible with a set of these side rails! I wonder if stern will ever run them again?
Is there any alternate translite for the premium that meshs well with the artwork?

Ohhhh i love these!
Made by Stern?

1 week later
#12337 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m down to my last piece of hardware and can’t find it in my pictures .Can someone lmk where this goes ?
[quoted image]

Lol kinda vital piece of the puzzle

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
279 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Pin_Fandango. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club?tu=Pin_Fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.