(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,809 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 minutes ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25d6415bd4f5ee62b5604e3e73d30ef0bdc2c8d0 (resized).jpg
72038EF4-8215-4C19-B733-688FFB33D320 (resized).jpeg
8820CDAA-4B0B-4D67-844D-8D3197E44344 (resized).jpeg
B267A7B9-3222-426E-B14A-09BCED66716E (resized).jpeg
EEEBA8AA-85EA-4EBE-9123-16F1A419FDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6704 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 317.
#4851 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Does this mean that Stern have made changes to these mechs to make them more reliable?

No not at all. They still suck and have to be messed with on occasion especially if you dont put a dab of blue loctite on them. The Sarcophagus lock is good as long as it is working and seems to be fairly reliable but if it ever screws up you better have some decent pinball repair skills because it is a pain in the ass.

#4852 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

premium owners - I like the red lights that stern put and trying to replicate on pro. I got the slings and inlanes. I think there is one mid right. Are there are red bulbs in the back section of the game or just the five I mentioned?
thanks

Too funny. I went through all the effort swap those fugly red bulbs out for warm white ones. Much better, doesn't wash out the PF and plastics colors around them and is still plenty "dark" for Fear of the Dark mode.

Each to their own...

#4853 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Too funny. I went through all the effort swap those fugly red bulbs out for warm white ones. Much better, doesn't wash out the PF and plastics colors around them and is still plenty "dark" for Fear of the Dark mode.
Each to their own...

Hey hey easy now! We like our red bulbs dammit!

#4854 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Each to their own...

Stern must have accidentally ordered too many red bulbs. It seems like each new release has more and more of them. I'm not a fan. They wash out the art and are just hard on the eyes. At least most red lights can be swapped out if the owner likes. They could be tied into the boards.

#4855 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Each to their own...

can you attach a pic ? I'm waiting for my premium to come in or i would try it myself-

#4856 4 years ago

I tried some warms in the slings instead of the reds and the art looked worse. Kind of yellowed out. What bulbs did you specifically use?

#4857 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I tried some warms in the slings instead of the reds and the art looked worse. Kind of yellowed out. What bulbs did you specifically use?

Try sunlight. Warm is too orange.

#4858 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No not at all. They still suck and have to be messed with on occasion especially if you dont put a dab of blue loctite on them. The Sarcophagus lock is good as long as it is working and seems to be fairly reliable but if it ever screws up you better have some decent pinball repair skills because it is a pain in the ass.

OK I get it you have had trouble and you are annoyed with the level of tweaking you had to do to a new pin, but have you got it dialled now and happy with the game?

I understand if I buy the Premium then I might have some fiddly tweaking to do, but as long as I can get it dialled perfect and stable in the end I will be happy.

Are there any people here who found theirs was easy to set up and play and does not require constant adjustment?

Also are people happy with the quality of these games? or are there some issues like in previous recent releases such as ghosting inserts and other playfield and build quality issues?

I have just sold the pin that is going to fund my next purchase, still unsure on IM I really don't want to buy into trouble and headaches.

#4859 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Are there any people here who found theirs was easy to set up and play and does not require constant adjustment?

Also are people happy with the quality of these games? or are there some issues like in previous recent releases such as ghosting inserts and other playfield and build quality issues?

I have just sold the pin that is going to fund my next purchase, still unsure on IM I really don't want to buy into trouble and headaches.

I haven't had any issues with my Premium as far as either Newton balls or the Sarcophagus lock are concerned nor have i had much issue with the auto ball launch, still works at least 90% of the time which i think is in acceptable parameters. I've had more failures with the manual ball launch, as far as not making it around the loop but after a bit of adjustment and putting on my own Eddie head shooter rod that's much better. Perhaps i haven't put in as many games, in 9 months since purchase like some of the guys in the club (last time i looked it was 575 games) but certainly haven't noticed any playfield issues so far. This is my first NIB Stern so definitely can't comment on past build quality or comparisons but so far the machine has been solid. Mine, like a lot of the Aussie delivered machines, weren't first machines off the rank as far as i'm aware and already had the wing type leg bolt mounts inside and also had the pointed newton ball shaft already in it. I LOVE the game, just so much fun to play + i LOVE Iron Maiden songs so that's a double bonus in my book

#4860 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeking:

In this diagram, it's the bulbs marked 151 and 154. Stern PN 112-5034-02.[quoted image]

Thanks again. Just updated. I love the look. Just need my Crystal ball mod and I'm good
20190626_191210 (resized).jpg20190626_191210 (resized).jpg20190626_191435 (resized).jpg20190626_191435 (resized).jpg

#4861 4 years ago

Rejoined the club with a NIB premium, production date May 28 2019. I assume all fixes are done on these now ?

Also got a nice signed photo:

0C252197-B02E-43D0-93E7-DDD4CD7AE7D0 (resized).jpeg0C252197-B02E-43D0-93E7-DDD4CD7AE7D0 (resized).jpeg
#4862 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

OK I get it you have had trouble and you are annoyed with the level of tweaking you had to do to a new pin, but have you got it dialled now and happy with the game?
I understand if I buy the Premium then I might have some fiddly tweaking to do, but as long as I can get it dialled perfect and stable in the end I will be happy.

As long as you have decent repair skills and don't mind tinkering with a game you will be just fine. I would never recommend the Premium model to someone that doesn't have any repair skills at all though. The Newton balls are a very poor design and the Sarcophagus lock is a pain to deal with if it ever doesn't work correctly.

Its a great game though and i love mine and i will never sell it. It is probably the funnest game that i own.

#4863 4 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Rejoined the club with a NIB premium, production date May 28 2019. I assume all fixes are done on these now ?
Also got a nice signed photo:[quoted image]

The only thing that they changed as far as i know are the pointed hex pins on the newton balls. Other than that you can probably still expect to have a screwed up auto launch possibly and the newton balls coming out of adjustment maybe. This is just a game that requires a lot of tinkering from time to time.

#4864 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks again. Just updated. I love the look. Just need my Crystal ball mod and I'm good
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where's cyborg and piece of mind Eddie?

#4865 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Where's cyborg and piece of mind Eddie?

I removed them. I thought the cut outs looked silly. I wanted a cleaner look. I of course kept everything....

#4866 4 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Also got a nice signed photo:[quoted image]

I just joined the club and also got a signed picture. 5/22/19 build date. Are these common or rare?

#4867 4 years ago

All done updating my pro. New soundtrack. All set.

Had a pretty good game last night.... For me
20190627_195935 (resized).jpg20190627_195935 (resized).jpg

#4868 4 years ago
Quoted from Brady2Gronk:

I just joined the club and also got a signed picture. 5/22/19 build date. Are these common or rare?

Common if you're selling..rare if buying

#4869 4 years ago

I know guys have had trouble but other than plunger not making it around once in a while mines been bullitt proof.

3E485029-FBCB-4A91-B407-855E47117838 (resized).jpeg3E485029-FBCB-4A91-B407-855E47117838 (resized).jpeg714A55CC-305E-44DF-A3CD-3BAB604F2760 (resized).jpeg714A55CC-305E-44DF-A3CD-3BAB604F2760 (resized).jpeg
#4870 4 years ago

Mine was 95%+ for the first 6mo.
Only just lately has it been more like 10%
I clean regularly so its likely just the coil.

#4871 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I too went with sunlight under the slings and ball guides and ww under the yellow plastics on the side.

#4872 4 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

I know guys have had trouble but other than plunger not making it around once in a while mines been bullitt proof.[quoted image][quoted image]

Everytime I see your translight I’m blown away by how nice it looks. Less cartoony Eddie and a pretty lady, what more could you want?

If I didn’t have an LE I'd be begging you to get me one.

#4873 4 years ago

That is a nice looking translite

#4874 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Everytime I see your translight I’m blown away by how nice it looks. Less cartoony Eddie and a pretty lady, what more could you want?
If I didn’t have an LE I'd be begging you to get me one.

Quoted from delt31:

That is a nice looking translite

It sure is.

Where did you get it and how do I get one?

#4876 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

As long as you have decent repair skills and don't mind tinkering with a game you will be just fine. I would never recommend the Premium model to someone that doesn't have any repair skills at all though. The Newton balls are a very poor design and the Sarcophagus lock is a pain to deal with if it ever doesn't work correctly.

Later games have been a piece of cake.

#4877 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Later games have been a piece of cake.

Might be true but the sarcophagus lock on IMDN is not and the newton balls are not noob friendly either.

#4878 4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, it does sound like the couple of small changes Stern made do make it a bit more reliable.

Quoted from delt31:

All done updating my pro. New soundtrack. All set.

New soundtrack? did you use Pinball Browser to change the music tracks? I'm thinking I would probably do that and change the tracks to Iron Maiden instrumental tracks so that it's still true to the theme, I don't like the idea of my pinball game singing at me while I play, regardless of the band.

#4879 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Thanks for the feedback, it does sound like the couple of small changes Stern made do make it a bit more reliable.

New soundtrack? did you use Pinball Browser to change the music tracks? I'm thinking I would probably do that and change the tracks to Iron Maiden instrumental tracks so that it's still true to the theme, I don't like the idea of my pinball game singing at me while I play, regardless of the band.

Yes pinbrowser. Metallica and black Sabbath.
But great idea about instrumental. I actually like the music but can't stand that lead singer voice. I might look into that too

#4880 4 years ago

I've been playing Iron Maiden on site for almost 12 months now and my scoring hasn't gone over 500 million. What's everyone's strategy when they step up to this game. Last night I tried to sweep the drops twice and then keep hitting the mummy ball or the back target area.

A secondary question would be, how would you explain the rules of this game to a non-pinball person?

Thanks!
Adam.

#4881 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes pinbrowser. Metallica and black Sabbath.
But great idea about instrumental. I actually like the music but can't stand that lead singer voice. I might look into that too

I have found all the songs on the pinball are on YouTube as high quality instrumental versions, these are originals without the vocals, perfect
I think having instrumentals would make the callouts seem much clearer and easier to hear when not competing with singing vocals.
Also using the same songs as the pinball originally comes with means that the song choices and visuals on the screen match up.
If I do end up buying one and doing this I will send you a PM delta31 and hopefully you can answer a couple of questions I will no doubt have as a pinbrowser noob

I have been watching Iron Maiden gameplay on YouTube which is cool, but the players on Deadflip etc are so awesome it makes it look like ball times are really long.

What do people here find their average ball times are like?

I generally don't like games with really long ball times, I had TSPP and enjoyed it but often I found a game went for about 45mins which IMO is too long and I ended up selling it mostly for that reason. I have played LOTR and almost felt like walking away before finishing the game went for so long.

#4882 4 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I've been playing Iron Maiden on site for almost 12 months now and my scoring hasn't gone over 500 million. What's everyone's strategy when they step up to this game. Last night I tried to sweep the drops twice and then keep hitting the mummy ball or the back target area.
A secondary question would be, how would you explain the rules of this game to a non-pinball person?
Thanks!
Adam.

Pro or Premium/LE? It makes a difference. They play differently because of moving the Mummy action and tomb treasures up the left ramp.

#4883 4 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I would say you don't.........rules these days are so deep and complex that I find even as a keen pinball enthusiast I struggle to take them in without heaps of gameplay.

I went to a comp recently and there were quite a few new titles including JJP and Sterns, while I was playing practice games people tried to explain the rules to me but I found I could really only take in some of the basics, there is just too much to learn.

I could not imagine how difficult that would be for a non-pinball player, so I would suggest that you explain the concept that there are rules and why, then briefly explain a few things that are happening as they play and why.

But yeah keep it brief, they won't be able to or want to have too much depth to remember, better to focus on basic play technique such as don't press both flipper buttons at once

#4884 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pro or Premium/LE? It makes a difference. They play differently because of moving the Mummy action and tomb treasures up the left ramp.

Pro machine on site here. I've played it so much and still want to own the game either in Pro or Prem/LE.

#4885 4 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Pro machine on site here. I've played it so much and still want to own the game either in Pro or Prem/LE.

Pro is actually easier, IMO. Concentrate on making that super-jackpot shot so you can qualify the 2x and 3x multipliers and try to get them ready to go right before you start a mummy or trooper multiball.

On mummy multiball just concentrate on getting it started and ripping the spinner at the top then hitting the captive ball. Rip, hit, repeat. You can get your mummy card pretty fast that way. If you can do one of each ramp in there as well you'll get the 3rd ball going too.

For Trooper multiball, concentrate on making the easy lit shots, but be ready to hit the center ramp as soon as the arrow starts pulsing to fire the cannon and add a ball.

On the modes I do Icarus last if possible because I hate it as I have problems keeping the l/r ramp flow going. Rime is a little harder on the Pro.

#4886 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I have found all the songs on the pinball are on YouTube as high quality instrumental versions, these are originals without the vocals, perfect
I think having instrumentals would make the callouts seem much clearer and easier to hear when not competing with singing vocals.
Also using the same songs as the pinball originally comes with means that the song choices and visuals on the screen match up.
If I do end up buying one and doing this I will send you a PM delta31 and hopefully you can answer a couple of questions I will no doubt have as a pinbrowser noob
I have been watching Iron Maiden gameplay on YouTube which is cool, but the players on Deadflip etc are so awesome it makes it look like ball times are really long.
What do people here find their average ball times are like?
I generally don't like games with really long ball times, I had TSPP and enjoyed it but often I found a game went for about 45mins which IMO is too long and I ended up selling it mostly for that reason. I have played LOTR and almost felt like walking away before finishing the game went for so long.

I noticed the same with the instrumental but not sure how to get that music elsewhere. Is there an album I can buy? I could rip that off of youtube but quality will suffer. LMK

#4887 4 years ago

Hey All,

Playing around with PBBrowser with IM. I noticed that the songs are duplicated in many cases. When importing do I need to import over both of them or will one do it? Wanted to add a bit of AC/DC, Aerosmith and Metallica perhaps to shake things up for my wonderful wife. Who's not a metal head

Thanks!

Mike

songs (resized).pngsongs (resized).png
#4888 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Hey All,
Playing around with PBBrowser with IM. I noticed that the songs are duplicated in many cases. When importing do I need to import over both of them or will one do it? Wanted to add a bit of AC/DC, Aerosmith and Metallica perhaps to shake things up for my wonderful wife. Who's not a metal head
Thanks!
Mike[quoted image]

I haven't used pinball browser for a bit, but it used to be so if you changed the the proper clip (the longest one) it would change all of the other instances of that song also. Almost like it is using the full length (or longest) clip you are adding to grab and make all of the others.

Things may have changed, but that is how it used to work on SAM games.

#4889 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply. They are the same length so I'm guessing updating one will do the other, but I was hoping to get a confirmation.

Cheers!
Mike

#4890 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Thanks for the reply. They are the same length so I'm guessing updating one will do the other, but I was hoping to get a confirmation.
Cheers!
Mike

Understandable. It seemed on the Metallica they would have one instance of it being longer than the rest and that being the one that you would replace and the others of that song were usually shorter clips. With multiple instances of the same song being the same length (like your picture), it may not work that way anymore.

Having said that, I would recommend just trying things out....tinker around, it's not like you are going to mess up the code and not be able to find a clean copy of it anywhere. Replace the first full instance of the song and then see if that does anything to the 2nd one listed. You should be able to see what does what before dumping it on your game (unless things have drastically changed in Pinball Browser since I have messed with it). Risk free tinkering is a great way of learning.

#4891 4 years ago

Thanks again. I'm in a holding pattern waiting for a new SD card to arrive. Thought it would work with the usb, but after a lot more reading. Seems backing up the SD and starting with that is better than going with the 1.06 download.

Cheers!
Mike

P.S.Just got IM Prem 2 days ago and the whole family is loving it. Sure glad the dude I was going to get MMr from was unresponsive!!

#4892 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The only thing that they changed as far as i know are the pointed hex pins on the newton balls. Other than that you can probably still expect to have a screwed up auto launch possibly and the newton balls coming out of adjustment maybe. This is just a game that requires a lot of tinkering from time to time.

The arm on the lower switch in the sarc was also changed at some point during production.

#4893 4 years ago

I have an inconsistent error that causes the game to immediately choose a song at the start of a game and hitting the left flipper scores points. It doesn’t happen every time I power the game up but when it does it will do it for several games in a row. It awards immediate points when the song is selected and each time the left flipper is pushed 20k(not sure the exact amount).

#4894 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I have an inconsistent error that causes the game to immediately choose a song at the start of a game and hitting the left flipper scores points. It doesn’t happen every time I power the game up but when it does it will do it for several games in a row. It awards immediate points when the song is selected and each time the left flipper is pushed 20k(not sure the exact amount).

You probably have a switch that's registering intermittently on your playfield. My guess would be one of the two captive ball switches.

#4895 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Might be true but the sarcophagus lock on IMDN is not and the newton balls are not noob friendly either.

Your opinion... but our experience has been otherwise.

#4896 4 years ago

Has anyone played an LE vs Premium and found the upgraded sound system to be a big improvement? I played the pro at a local bar and loved it. Definitely buying it in October/november (in the middle of moving houses right now) but was disappointed with the punch in the speakers. However I have no way of knowing if it was just turned down or the bar I was in drowning it out. Unfortunately in Austin there aren’t any major places to properly try out pinball machines for the home.

#4897 4 years ago

Joined the club today - First NIB - glad it was Maiden - really enjoying the premium over pro!

AA297C8E-6470-42FC-A4A3-1DD44DFA9595 (resized).jpegAA297C8E-6470-42FC-A4A3-1DD44DFA9595 (resized).jpeg
#4898 4 years ago
Quoted from jlaham24:

Joined the club today - First NIB - glad it was Maiden - really enjoying the premium over pro![quoted image]

This and Deadpool Prem are the best Stern choices out now! Great place to jump in with a NIB.

#4899 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This and Deadpool Prem are the best Stern choices out now! Great place to jump in with a NIB.

Great choices, but if you can only go with one, Satan sure beats a baby super-hero bash.

#4900 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Great choices, but if you can only go with one, Satan sure beats a baby super-hero bash.

It's really not that cut and dried. They're close enough that I would say it comes down to what games you already have and your personal preference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Trade
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 317.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/98?hl=6point5degrees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.