(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,641 posts
  • 1,039 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by Sorokyl
  • Topic is favorited by 497 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6659 (resized).png
IMG_6658 (resized).png
IMG_6660 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6664 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6662 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5503 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240325_202244_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240325_202205_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
IMG_8122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8120 (resized).png
IMG_8121 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240325_110734_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240325_110223_Gmail (resized).jpg
20240322_134838 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 313.
#4451 4 years ago

I just installed the IMDN loop adjuster kit and wow what a difference it made. My loop shot from the top right flipper was probably registering 60% of the time roughly and after i put it on tonight i hit the loop at least 25 times and it counted every single one of them. I cannot recommend this product enough for people who are having loops that don't register.

https://www.pinballlife.com/iron-maiden-upgrade-kit.html

#4452 4 years ago

Yes, like I said earlier it makes all the difference. Very good mod/upgrade.

#4453 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Thanks Vireland & Pinnyheadhead- appreciate the feedback.
I am getting a bit of a ‘snappy sounding clunk’ from the right flippers. It’s not terrible by any means; but I just wanted to ensure it’s normal for the game.

For some reason Iron Maiden is louder than many other games from Stern.

#4454 4 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

For some reason Iron Maiden is louder than many other games from Stern.

Any way to quite this down?

#4455 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Any way to quite this down?

Crank up the music!!

#4456 4 years ago

Aside from cranking up the music, is there a known fix to dampen the sound on the right flippers?
I can't recall any other pin I've played nor owned where the flippers were this loud.

#4457 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Aside from cranking up the music, is there a known fix to dampen the sound on the right flippers?
I can't recall any other pin I've played nor owned where the flippers were this loud.

Have you every played a Simpsons Pinball Party in a quiet room. 5 flippers makes that game exceptionally loud.

#4458 4 years ago

@ MikeS: I haven't played a TSPP in a long time and it wouldn't surprise me that those would be louder.
For my Maiden, I should have indicated that I haven't owned nor played a more recent title that had such loud flippers- particularly for the right flippers. I just don't know if there's any remedy known to dampen the sound.

#4459 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

@ MikeS: I haven't played a TSPP in a long time and it wouldn't surprise me that those would be louder.
For my Maiden, I should have indicated that I haven't owned nor played a more recent title that had such loud flippers- particularly for the right flippers. I just don't know if there's any remedy known to dampen the sound.

Probably not a lot you can do really JMK. You got 4 flippers instead of 2 firing. Crank up the music or be hard of hearing like me and you will never notice. Luckily my gf cant hear worth a crap either so it doesn't bother her at all when i play all night long.

#4460 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I'm not sure if there's too much you can do? I suppose you could try to put some sound deadening foam inside the cabinet and see if that absorbs some of the sound?

Another thing you could do is get one of the headphone kits for your game and play with good quality noise canceling headphones. I do this on my Maiden and it blocks out all other noise and allows you just to hear the music and callouts.-and the sound quality is far better than the stock speakers.

#4461 4 years ago

Finally got my Pharoah blinder kit installed last night. Wow, what a difference. I recommend it for anyone that doesn't have it already. Easy install too. Took a short video, but don't know how to add the YouTube video? Sure most know what it looks like but..

#4463 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You mean this...

Yepper. Someone PM me and tell me how to attach a YouTube video to a post..

#4464 4 years ago

Plastics Protectors?

Please recommend a source for a set of plastics protectors. My last set - for another title - came from Pinbits and they were fine/complete, but they don't seem to make a set for IMDN. I found just one set - an abbreviated one from Pinball Life. Is this all owners have found? I would rather have a more complete set. Does one exist?

Thanks.

IMDN.plastics.protectors (resized).jpgIMDN.plastics.protectors (resized).jpg
#4465 4 years ago

Someone buy my Star Wars so I can buy an IMDN

#4466 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Have you advertised it yet? It will sell i guarantee it.

#4467 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Have you advertised it yet? It will sell i guarantee it.

Yep it’s been posted. Couple tire kickers and a low baller so far.

#4468 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Plastics Protectors?
Please recommend a source for a set of plastics protectors. My last set - for another title - came from Pinbits and they were fine/complete, but they don't seem to make a set for IMDN. I found just one set - an abbreviated one from Pinball Life. Is this all owners have found? I would rather have a more complete set. Does one exist?
Thanks.
[quoted image]

I think little shop of games has a set.

#4469 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I think little shop of games has a set.

A-ha! You're right! Thank you, Molly's Pub!

#4470 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Soon you'll be up to your eyeballs in pinball delight with your very own Wonka (if your club thread is any indicator), and you'll forget all about IMDN - although you'll have to wait three months!

#4471 4 years ago

Soon you'll be up to your eyeballs in pinball delight with your very own Wonka (if your club thread is any indicator), and you'll forget all about IMDN - although you'll have to wait three months!

But I want both. And I want them now!

#4472 4 years ago

Plastics Protectors?
Thanks.
[quoted image]

I recommend these:
https://truecolorprotectors.com/products/iron-maiden-truecolor-plastic-protectors

Neon yellow looks fantastic on Maiden.

#4473 4 years ago

I have true color protectors on most of my games. They are awesome.
Wonder if they will make these in orange instead of yellow.

#4474 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Perhaps someone that does not live in California would order a strip of this stuff for $11.00 and see if it really works as advertised.
https://www.soundproofcow.com/product/vibra-block-sound-deadening-material-pad/?gdffi=d462e8110af047aba70108dac6bd4aa2&gdfms=A9AAD2D7C4EF408FA757C0438A88FE6F&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZAi3LH4s9qBH7llx82cAyf57oRGxlbJoWN2c6LhUhC7gg63itTYF_YaApMhEALw_wcB

#4475 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I have true color protectors on most of my games. They are awesome.
Wonder if they will make these in orange instead of yellow.

I think the orange may be too much. Yellow looks amazing on Iron Maiden.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4476 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Perhaps someone that does not live in California would order a strip of this stuff for $11.00 and see if it really works as advertised

At 4mm thick wouldn't that be a fairly tight fit between the cab side and the PF? Possibly tear/knock it off whenever you lift up to do some service? I like the idea though

#4477 4 years ago

I cant remember who I bought them from right now but I've got ice blue in the sling area and yellow pop bumpers. Looks great.

20190430_234507 (resized).jpg20190430_234507 (resized).jpg20190430_234520 (resized).jpg20190430_234520 (resized).jpg20190430_234526 (resized).jpg20190430_234526 (resized).jpg
#4478 4 years ago

Truecolor sells a set of matching pop bumper protectors on the site as well. Good stuff!

#4479 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

At 4mm thick wouldn't that be a fairly tight fit between the cab side and the PF? Possibly tear/knock it off whenever you lift up to do some service? I like the idea though

Yea.
I was just thinking maybe a small piece could be put just below where the upper right flipper mech hangs down when playfield is at rest and maybe that would be enough to dampen most of the thumping sound.
It may even work on the very bottom of the cabinet side or even just laying in the bottom.
I may try it out sometime just for fun.

#4480 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I was just thinking maybe a small piece could be put just below where the upper right flipper mech hangs down when playfield is at rest and maybe that would be enough to dampen most of the thumping sound.
It may even work on the very bottom of the cabinet side or even just laying in the bottom.
I may try it out sometime just for fun.

Been a little while since i've had the hood up on my machine so i can't visually recall the gap but is it possible to attach a small piece to the back of the mech bracket itself?

#4481 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Been a little while since i've had the hood up on my machine so i can't visually recall the gap but is it possible to attach a small piece to the back of the mech bracket itself?

I considered that possibility as well.
Certainly worth looking into.
Can’t hurt anything.

#4482 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I considered that possibility as well.
Certainly worth looking into.
Can’t hurt anything.

Ordered this >> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DYNAMAT-XTREME-SPEAKER-KIT-SHEET-PACK-10415-SOUND-DEADENING-CAR-BODY-DOOR-10/400835417349?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Very similar to what you linked but only about 1.1mm thick. Should have it tomorrow so when i get the chance later in the day i'll add a piece to the back of the mech (perhaps double up on it) and report back. Hopefully it will make a significant difference

#4483 4 years ago

@Mancave, if this ends up dampening the upper right flipper sound, would you mind posting a pic showing where you attached the deadening sheet?
Thanks!

#4484 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I cant remember who I bought them from right now but I've got ice blue in the sling area and yellow pop bumpers. Looks great.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I got the same ones. They came from Mezel Mods. Also got their blinder kit and pharaoh plastic protector.

#4485 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just installed the IMDN loop adjuster kit and wow what a difference it made. My loop shot from the top right flipper was probably registering 60% of the time roughly and after i put it on tonight i hit the loop at least 25 times and it counted every single one of them. I cannot recommend this product enough for people who are having loops that don't register.
https://www.pinballlife.com/iron-maiden-upgrade-kit.html

Quick question, do the two opto shields install on both sides of the same opto pair (ie transmitter and reciever), or one shield on one pair in the side loop opto, and one on the opto pair in the right loop too?

Their install picture shows just one shield installed, but I'm not sure if that was intended to be the completed install pic.

Does it matter which side of the opto pair you install on if it is one shield per pair?

Mine registers 90+% of loop shots, but it's annoying when you get robbed for a major jackpot or whatever.

I might also try just making my own shields too out of sheet metal or something, though I have yet to remove the opto pair and check if there are any major hurdles to doing that...

#4486 4 years ago

I've got the full set of colored protectors here: https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/MfkA4xRMeEaJXRiwRSwxwA

There is an optional colored pharaoh piece that I wish I had gotten as well.

I ended up adding longer screws on the pops, and a couple other nuts were iffy on factory posts due to the extra thickness of the protectors. I presume that is similar for all.

20190106_204816 (resized).jpg20190106_204816 (resized).jpg
#4487 4 years ago

Maybe not for everyone, but fun as hell to play ... a little teaser ...

#4488 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

Oh God.
Eddie will find you for that one.

#4489 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Quick question, do the two opto shields install on both sides of the same opto pair (ie transmitter and reciever), or one shield on one pair in the side loop opto, and one on the opto pair in the right loop too?
Their install picture shows just one shield installed, but I'm not sure if that was intended to be the completed install pic.
Does it matter which side of the opto pair you install on if it is one shield per pair?
Mine registers 90+% of loop shots, but it's annoying when you get robbed for a major jackpot or whatever.
I might also try just making my own shields too out of sheet metal or something, though I have yet to remove the opto pair and check if there are any major hurdles to doing that...

There are 2 different sets of optos, one in the fireball loop and another set in the top right corner of the playfield. The shields go over the recieving opto. That is the opto on the left side of the metal bracket and the one that has three plugs. (The transmitting opto only had two plugs.) Very easy to get out and install. They are so cheap that i would just order the set and be done with it. By the time you make them it wouldn't be worth it imo, plus they may not even work who knows. Im not sure how they work honestly, im just glad that they do. Im enjoying my game a million times more now than i was before.

Also i didnt put the ball deflector on because my game came with a post installed that keeps the ball from getting stuck back in that corner so i didn't think i needed that on there.

#4490 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. You're right, pretty easy to get to those opto brackets. I went ahead and made some L-shaped shields out of some scrap sheet metal I had, seems to work great.

I played a couple games concentrating on loops only (one game with 86 total loops, my new record, LOL) while keeping track of the counts, and so far it's 100% now. Mine also already had the ball trap fix, so nothing needed there. Hopefully this truly did the trick.

Here is a crappy pic of mine fitted:

20190502_183217 (resized).jpg20190502_183217 (resized).jpg
#4491 4 years ago

Good God 86 loops in one game??? Lol

Takes me like 10 games at least to get that many! Nice work though on that.

#4492 4 years ago

I'd like to see a radio mode like Metallica has in one of the updates.

#4493 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

if this ends up dampening the upper right flipper sound, would you mind posting a pic showing where you attached the deadening sheet?

I used a piece big enough to just wrap around the side edges of the mech bracket and slightly larger top to bottom so i could it fold over the top (which is clearing the flipper pawl despite how it looks in the pic) I then added a 2nd piece exactly the width of the bracket but folded about a 15mm length underneath.
Short answer.... it's made a difference. I would guesstimate a reduction in noise by about 20-25% although it's still noticeable. Having said that my focus would have been directly on the flipper noise alone so that accentuates it in your head if that makes sense and quite possibly was a better result than i realise. This particular product i used has a SUPER sticky backing so adding some to the cab side in my opinion is not an option, removing it later down the track would most definitely take some paint off!!
If anyone plans on doing something similar, i would just say don't expect to completely cut the noise out, i don't think that will be possible to accomplish.
After a few test games my thoughts were that it's definitely "taken the edge off" and perhaps changed the tone to less of a wood knocking sound <<<< most likely the crappest description on Pinside but that's the first thing that came to mind
DSC04143 (resized).JPGDSC04143 (resized).JPGDSC04144 (resized).JPGDSC04144 (resized).JPG

#4494 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

Only thing that came to mind was;
why?

#4495 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I used a piece big enough to just wrap around the side edges of the mech bracket and slightly larger top to bottom so i could it fold over the top (which is clearing the flipper pawl despite how it looks in the pic) I then added a 2nd piece exactly the width of the bracket but folded about a 15mm length underneath.
Short answer.... it's made a difference. I would guesstimate a reduction in noise by about 20-25% although it's still noticeable. Having said that my focus would have been directly on the flipper noise alone so that accentuates it in your head if that makes sense and quite possibly was a better result than i realise. This particular product i used has a SUPER sticky backing so adding some to the cab side in my opinion is not an option, removing it later down the track would most definitely take some paint off!!
If anyone plans on doing something similar, i would just say don't expect to completely cut the noise out, i don't think that will be possible to accomplish.
After a few test games my thoughts were that it's definitely "taken the edge off" and perhaps changed the tone to less of a wood knocking sound &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; most likely the crappest description on Pinside but that's the first thing that came to mind
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting the results and photos.

#4496 4 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

Only thing that came to mind was;
why?

Ha ... Reserve that question until you have seen the whole thing in action. (Assuming the owner will post a full video to follow up his teaser).

Seriously. Pinball MIX has worked on a wide variety of MIXes. There is an X factor here. No clue why, but the machine sound-effects and call-outs blend surprisingly well with Disco music. A legit party to play!

Would make for a mean game of Stall Ball too ...

... and in an effort to boost street cred ... Paul Di'Anno is in my machine. (and got tickets to LOTB Tour the day after Pinburgh. That's right ... 4 days of pinball followed by 10 hrs of driving to hit the floor for some Live Maiden!)

I'm running free, yeah ...

#4497 4 years ago

@Mancave: Thanks for posting the pics. I don't have the same product on hand but will give this a shot as well with something similar or deadening foam.

#4498 4 years ago

Does anyone have a Maiden with a yellow plastic protector set on it that can show pictures of what it looks like, also where they bought the plastic protector set from?

#4499 4 years ago

Thanks I didn’t read far enough. What about yellow sling rubbers?

#4500 4 years ago

Can someone tell me why this happens, and if there is an easy solution? When my trooper locks are lit and I hit the center ramp, the majority of the time it locks the ball, even if it comes out the right side? Has this happened to others ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 313.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/90 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.