(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,812 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 minutes ago by nickrivers
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25d6415bd4f5ee62b5604e3e73d30ef0bdc2c8d0 (resized).jpg
72038EF4-8215-4C19-B733-688FFB33D320 (resized).jpeg
8820CDAA-4B0B-4D67-844D-8D3197E44344 (resized).jpeg
B267A7B9-3222-426E-B14A-09BCED66716E (resized).jpeg
EEEBA8AA-85EA-4EBE-9123-16F1A419FDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6704 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,812 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 317.
#3651 5 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the name of the game/band on the floor in front of the game. I can imagine a row of games like this looking pretty cool.

#3652 5 years ago

@ PW79. FWIW. My premium has been fine after a few initial tweeks and then some blue lock-tite. I know several others that would say something similar about their games. If cost is not an issue, and you or a friend doesn't mind taking some time to dial it in. Then, go for the premium/le. My game was also from the first run. I'm fine using the original posts for the ball targets. I hear the more pointy ones are even better.

#3653 5 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

@ PW79. FWIW. My premium has been fine after a few initial tweeks and then some blue lock-tite. I know several others that would say something similar about their games. If cost is not an issue, and you or a friend doesn't mind taking some time to dial it in. Then, go for the premium/le. My game was also from the first run. I'm fine using the original posts for the ball targets. I hear the more pointy ones are even better.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Stern's build quality (cabinets cracking, using the skinny leg plates, etc), but I think the issues on this game have been way overblown. I have an LE and did have to deal with the captive balls - once. Tightened the nut, barely touched the switches, done. The autofire has taken a few more minutes to work out, but absolutely nothing major. Every NIB game I've ever owned has had some adjustment. So I guess what I"m saying is, definitely get the LE! The game is just way more fun

#3654 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm actually not a huge fan of Stern's build quality (cabinets cracking, using the skinny leg plates, etc), but I think the issues on this game have been way overblown. I have an LE and did have to deal with the captive balls - once. Tightened the nut, barely touched the switches, done. The autofire has taken a few more minutes to work out, but absolutely nothing major. Every NIB game I've ever owned has had some adjustment. So I guess what I"m saying is, definitely get the LE! The game is just way more fun

As an LE owner and having played the Pro I wouldn't be happy with the Pro experience at this point. I'm sure if you only play the Pro you wouldn't know what you are missing though, but if you want the best experience then Prem/LE all the way!

Having said that, the LE/Prem is fine for home play with minor occassional adjustments needed but I wouldn't consider routing one I don't think due to the high liklehood that it one or more of the newton ball switches would be misadjusted at any given time.

#3655 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

As an LE owner and having played the Pro I wouldn't be happy with the Pro experience at this point. I'm sure if you only play the Pro you wouldn't know what you are missing though, but if you want the best experience then Prem/LE all the way!
Having said that, the LE/Prem is fine for home play with minor occassional adjustments needed but I wouldn't consider routing one I don't think due to the high liklehood that it one or more of the newton ball switches would be misadjusted at any given time.

I'd say the premium is the smallest upgrade that stern has done in a long time.

#3656 5 years ago

As a Pro owner and having played the Prem/LE I wouldn't be happy with the Prem/LE experience at this point. I'm sure if you only play the Prem/LE you wouldn't know what you are wasting extra money on though, but if you want the best experience then Pro all the way!

#3657 5 years ago

It's the largest. Usually the pro plays fine but is missing some toys. In this case, the pro doesn't feel right because it's missing basically anything that moves.

Quoted from Doctor6:

#3658 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

As a Pro owner and having played the Prem/LE I wouldn't be happy with the Prem/LE experience at this point. I'm sure if you only play the Prem/LE you wouldn't know what you are wasting extra money on though, but if you want the best experience then Pro all the way!

The moving ramp alone is worth it. Makes the game much more playable IMO. You can catch the shots coming out of it pretty easily compared to the ball coming down haphazardly from the mini flipper.

#3659 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

No idea what you mean - there are 4 major GAMEPLAY differences between the two. The most minor is the captive ball. Then you have the moving center ramp, which changes shot flow and where balls return from. You have the sarcophagus lock which is an entirely different shot from the pro. (And moves), and you have the totally-missing-from-the-pro “can I play with madness” mode. That’s major stuff. You might say GOT had a big difference with it’s upper PF, but play it a few times, it doesn’t change the overall game really. Same with AC/DC and the lower PF. But the games are basically the same.

#3660 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No idea what you mean - there are 4 major GAMEPLAY differences between the two. The most minor is the captive ball. Then you have the moving center ramp, which changes shot flow and where balls return from. You have the sarcophagus lock which is an entirely different shot from the pro. (And moves), and you have the totally-missing-from-the-pro “can I play with madness” mode. That’s major stuff. You might say GOT had a big difference with it’s upper PF, but play it a few times, it doesn’t change the overall game really. Same with AC/DC and the lower PF. But the games are basically the same.

Plus on the Pro translight the Iron Maiden logo is placed at an angle. Not something i could live with.

#3661 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's the largest. Usually the pro plays fine but is missing some toys. In this case, the pro doesn't feel right because it's missing basically anything that moves.

Larger than missing playfields? Larger than huge rule changes? No, don't be ridiculous.

#3662 5 years ago
Quoted from mikeking:

Do you have any plans to do pop bumper protectors as well? I ordered the ones from Mezel mods but the color doesn't match yours (and I like yours better).

Here you go all done - https://truecolorprotectors.com/products/iron-maiden-truecolor-pop-bumper-plastic-protectors

Of course one of my pop bumper light boards is out atm so only 2 are lit up in the pic

20190116_151224 (resized).jpg20190116_151224 (resized).jpg
#3663 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I like the sarcophagus lock a lot as well as the lift ramp. I don't know about anyone else, but I never pay attention to the dome flasher.

Rob

#3664 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Here you go all done - https://truecolorprotectors.com/products/iron-maiden-truecolor-pop-bumper-plastic-protectors
Of course one of my pop bumper light boards is out atm so only 2 are lit up in the pic
[quoted image]

That upper left one isn't a light, it's a flasher. It's photographing as-designed (i.e. off). No idea why they don't pulse it rapidly so it works like a light until they flash it. They do that with Magneto's spotlight on X-Men and it works fine.

#3665 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That upper left one isn't a light, it's a flasher. It's photographing as-designed (i.e. off). No idea why they don't pulse it rapidly so it works like a light until they flash it. They do that with Magneto's spotlight on X-Men and it works fine.

Ya, someone told me as well in the other thread. Good news!

#3666 5 years ago

So I am ever so slowly... And I do mean S-l-o-w-l-y... Learning how to fix my pinball machines. I think for major repairs I'm always going to pay someone... But, I was able to re-solder and attach the broken off wire to the upper right flipper coil. First time I tried the solder joint wasn't very good and it broke after an hour. Now its hour 4 and still holding...
I also updated the code. And I'm liking the code so far... But, one thing I don't like...
They seem to have added some callouts... That's always cool. But, I think they took out my favorite callout.
I really liked when you started a game and the Beast would say Welcome to my world under glass...
I haven't heard him say that and I've played about 4 hours on new code.
I hear him talk about the hangman wanting to meet him. Saying Ahoy there... Which is a shit callout.
Just SHIT!!!
JUST SHIT!!!! So... I really hope they put the welcome to my world under glass back in.
And I don't get why they would remove a callout. You paid for it. Yes, add to the callouts, but keep them in. It adds variety. But, remove the Ahoy there one. That's just shit.

#3667 5 years ago

I don’t know if anyone else had this but I had my usb in the drive on the right hand side and halfway through the install it failed. Tried a few more full/not full installs and all fail too. Turn off the game and switch the usb to the drive right next to it on the left and it installed fine. Weird.

Doesn’t hear or feel much bass or anything coming from the cab speaker even through it is on and + whatever in settings. Wiring all looked good I’ll have to poke around later, was looking at those FF speakers anyways.

#3668 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

[quoted image]

Thats how mine is. It lights during gameplay.

#3669 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

The moving ramp alone is worth it. Makes the game much more playable IMO. You can catch the shots coming out of it pretty easily compared to the ball coming down haphazardly from the mini flipper.

Haphazardly? When setup properly it feeds the right flipper and can easily be caught with a drop catch or bounced over to the left. Just like the prem feed.

#3670 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

1. A captive ball that makes the power jackpot way easier to collect by mistake. I'm already trying to avoid collecting it, to build the value up. Would not want this.

2. Both balls end up at the lower RF every time. Same gameplay.

3. Both versions have the left ramp and captive ball shots in the same places. Some additional strategy is gained for Mummy multiball here, which is IMO the one significant difference in gameplay.

4. Keith Elwin disables 'can i play with madness' mode and prefers the Pro award, +15M to power jackpot. Nuff said.

I know prem owners must defend their extra spending, but in reality, the prem has a slightly different way to approach Mummy multiball, which is pretty cool, and that's about it. Everything else is very similar on both versions.

Watching the Prem/LE at INDISC on the weekend, it was very obvious that the strategy of the players was the exact same as when they play the Pro. The Pro has been used at many tournaments recently, so there is plenty of video evidence available to show that the differences do not greatly affect how this game is played.

#3671 5 years ago

LOL. Okay. Yes, larger than missing playfields. AC/DC mini playfield sucks and adds nothing for example. And yes, larger than rule changes, as long as the game feels more or less the same, a few missing rules isn't that big of a deal. A pro game feels dead compared to a premium.

Quoted from Doctor6:

Larger than missing playfields? Larger than huge rule changes? No, don't be ridiculous.

#3672 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

1. A captive ball that makes the power jackpot way easier to collect by mistake. I'm already trying to avoid collecting it, to build the value up. Would not want this.
3. Both versions have the left ramp and captive ball shots in the same places. Some additional strategy is gained for Mummy multiball here, which is IMO the one significant difference in gameplay.
4. Keith Elwin disables 'can i play with madness' mode and prefers the Pro award, +15M to power jackpot. Nuff said.
I know prem owners must defend their extra spending, but in reality, the prem has a slightly different way to approach Mummy multiball, which is pretty cool, and that's about it. Everything else is very similar on both versions.
Watching the Prem/LE at INDISC on the weekend, it was very obvious that the strategy of the players was the exact same as when they play the Pro. The Pro has been used at many tournaments recently, so there is plenty of video evidence available to show that the differences do not greatly affect how this game is played.

You can say the pro is better all that you want but anyone who has played both simply knows that its not true. The pro is damn good so you have no reason to regret your purchase, but the premium/LE is more fun period.

#3673 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Haphazardly? When setup properly it feeds the right flipper and can easily be caught with a drop catch or bounced over to the left. Just like the prem feed.

No. Wrong. Ive watched Keith play the game. He leaves the mini flipper up so he doesnt get a drain. Haphazard as fuq pal.

#3674 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Can’t say I agree, but who cares really? It does seem that it would be helpful for you to spend more time on a Premium. The Prem has additional features, just like all Sterns, end of story

#3675 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can’t say I agree, but who cares really? It does seem that it would be helpful for you to spend more time on a Premium. The Prem has additional features, just like all Sterns, end of story

Premium doesn't always equal better but in this case here Premium equals better. I didn't really think so at first but after playing them both a good amount there is no question that the Premium is more fun. Now as far as reliability goes the Pro wins in that catagory for sure.

#3676 5 years ago

No. Wrong. Ive watched Keith play the game. He leaves the mini flipper up so he doesnt get a drain. Haphazard as fuq pal.

I don't know what's your talking about. I have watched Keith play this is many tournament. Not flipping, or shooting for the X is the most common. Show me the video. At NYCPC he was bounce passing, even though it was a tough bouce. For example in ball 1 of finals.

https://pinballvideos.com/v/1861

#3677 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I don't know what's your talking about. I have watched Keith play this is many tournament. Not flipping, or shooting for the X is the most common. Show me the video. At NYCPC he was bounce passing, even though it was a tough bouce. For example in ball 1 of finals.
https://pinballvideos.com/v/1861

In and around the 8:46 mark. He has the mini flip up any time that ball comes down. Never just lets it fall towards the main flippers. He keeps diverting it.

#3678 5 years ago

In and around the 8:46 mark. He has the mini flip up any time that ball comes down. Never just lets it fall towards the main flippers. He keeps diverting it.

I believe he’s going for drops. Something you can’t do with the premium; go for mini loop, x shot, drops, or let it go to flippers. Both versions are great, and in my experience - which also seems evident of the prem owner defenses; the pro plays harder and wilder - The prem/LE is more controlled. Pick your poison and have fun!

#3679 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I believe he’s going for drops

Yeah, I agree. It looks like he is doing that to pick off the drops, which is a often safe strategic choice, but I don't think it is from fear of the ball being out of control is he doesn't.

#3680 5 years ago

On the Premium do Mummy locks on the left ramp still take precedence over Flight of Icarus combos in newer code? I remember being annoyed by that on early code.

#3681 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I believe he’s going for drops. Something you can’t do with the premium;

Why do you say you can't do this on the premium? I do it all the time on mine.

#3682 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Why do you say you can't do this on the premium? I do it all the time on mine.

From the mode start he is saying. I hear him. I get it. Different strokes I guess. Still prefer the premium/le.

#3683 5 years ago

From the mode start he is saying. I hear him. I get it. Different strokes I guess. Still prefer the premium/le.

from the mode start, correct. Starting the mode by not hitting the ramp was one of the main reasons I went with the premium; the ramp is shot a lot and I liked how the underworld breaks up that monotony. If it weren't for that and maybe the artwork I probably would have went with a pro.

#3684 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I never pay attention to the dome flasher.

I didn't either until I put this on it.
https://mezelmods.com/collections/iron-maiden-legacy/products/iron-maiden-pinball-obelisk-dome-cover?variant=12219492073588

You can get it for pro or premium, but the color changing makes for a cool effect on it.

Quoted from Maken:

I know prem owners must defend their extra spending, but in reality, the prem has a slightly different way to approach Mummy multiball, which is pretty cool, and that's about it.

It looks like you're working equally as hard to justify not getting a premium/LE. How about this idea? Be happy with your pro purchase and let the premium/LE buyers be happy with their?
BTW - even if the game designer disables "can I play with madness" when he plays, doesn't remove the fact that its one of my favorite modes.

#3685 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

How about this idea? Be happy with your pro purchase and let the premium/LE buyers be happy with their?

Oh I am, for sure. Just sick of all of this "totally different GAMEPLAY between models" garbage. It's just not true.

You can either believe the heaps of video evidence available for everyone to review, or listen to the incorrect ramblings of a defensive prem owner, your call lol.

#3686 5 years ago

Lol. U mad bro?

#3687 5 years ago

I’m still trying to remember how to stack modes with Trooper or Mummy multiball. Start the mode first then shoot the shot for multiball or the other way around?

#3688 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I’m still trying to remember how to stack modes with Trooper or Mummy multiball. Start the mode first then shoot the shot for multiball or the other way around?

You have to start the mode first. If you start the multiball first you can't start modes until multiball is over. If you nick the captive mummy ball as you fire the spinner side shot to start trooper, you get a 4 ball trooper, too.

#3689 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

What I have observed is if you getting mummy ready to start (mummy spelled out with one shot to start the mode) and then start trooper, it (trooper multiball) will start with four balls instead of three. Mummy will still be ready to start after trooper ends. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Ha, Victor beat me to it. And he was a bit more complete - must graze that captive ball on the way up to the inner loop shot on trooper start. Yes

#3690 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

So I am ever so slowly... And I do mean S-l-o-w-l-y... Learning how to fix my pinball machines. I think for major repairs I'm always going to pay someone... But, I was able to re-solder and attach the broken off wire to the upper right flipper coil. First time I tried the solder joint wasn't very good and it broke after an hour. Now its hour 4 and still holding...
I also updated the code. And I'm liking the code so far... But, one thing I don't like...
They seem to have added some callouts... That's always cool. But, I think they took out my favorite callout.
I really liked when you started a game and the Beast would say Welcome to my world under glass...
I hear him talk about the hangman wanting to meet him. Saying Ahoy there... Which is a shit callout.
Just SHIT!!!
JUST SHIT!!!! So... I really hope they put the welcome to my world under glass back in.
And I don't get why they would remove a callout. You paid for it. Yes, add to the callouts, but keep them in. It adds variety. But, remove the Ahoy there one. That's just shit.

The callout is still in there. I heard it today.

#3691 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

The callout is still in there. I heard it today.

I only get really the hangman and ahoy there captain... Where you in single player or multiplayer mode.
There are different callouts during multiple players. Just curious.

#3692 5 years ago

So after you spell mummy hit the captive ball going into trooper multi to get 4 ball?

#3693 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

So after you spell mummy hit the captive ball going into trooper multi to get 4 ball?

I don't think you even need to spell mummy. Just get two balls locked for trooper, then nick the captive ball when going to lock the 3rd trooper ball and you get a 4 ball trooper.

#3694 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Just SHIT!!!

AHOY THERE

#3695 5 years ago

Curly you can't lose either way. I've had to adjust 2 switches (30 sec) and tighten a couple screws but I learned from my buddy Budly that you tighten everything when ya set it up anyway.
Knock on wood, mine has been pretty damn rock solid.

#3696 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I only get really the hangman and ahoy there captain... Where you in single player or multiplayer mode.
There are different callouts during multiple players. Just curious.

Single player.

#3697 5 years ago

Made me laugh and almost spill my soda onto my computer.

#3698 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Single player.

Wonder if there is an options for callouts... Are you sure you're on the most recent code????

#3699 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Wonder if there is an options for callouts... Are you sure you're on the most recent code????

Positive I'm on 1.06.

#3700 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think you even need to spell mummy. Just get two balls locked for trooper, then nick the captive ball when going to lock the 3rd trooper ball and you get a 4 ball trooper.

You've got to have Mummy ready to go.

Keith has said it was a bug on the original Prem code, but he thought it was cool so added it as a feature on the Pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,812 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 317.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.