(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,642 posts
  • 1,040 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by awpepa
  • Topic is favorited by 497 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6659 (resized).png
IMG_6658 (resized).png
IMG_6660 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6664 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6662 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5503 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240325_202244_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240325_202205_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
IMG_8122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8120 (resized).png
IMG_8121 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 313.
#3401 5 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Or buy the sticker like i did and put it on a pingulp
amazon.com link »

Nah. Too practical!

#3402 5 years ago

Just installed 3 of the 4 pinmonk lens trees. Looks awesome, but needs the complete set. Ordering mummy tree now!

#3403 5 years ago

We have these...

15459415771775426144253695909175 (resized).jpg15459415771775426144253695909175 (resized).jpg
#3404 5 years ago

Only a few more days for that Up The Irons Tournament.

#3405 5 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Or buy the sticker like i did and put it on a pingulp
amazon.com link »

Thanks but I like the two tone and don’t want to mess with painting.

#3406 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

We have these...
[quoted image]

Nice also but I’m running red powder coat.

#3407 5 years ago

I have a pro translite if anyone needs. $70 shipped. They are $120 shipped from Stern.

#3408 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Black T-moulding is pictured here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/9#post-4446333
I really think the dark blue to match the headdress looks so much better. Black is too much black trim.

I agree the black is too much. Dark blue is better than yellow/black, but I don't know why matching the headdress is interesting (since it's not visible from the players perspective and usually hidden when in a lineup). I decided to go with red and match the color of the Iron Maiden logo (also installed Titan red flipper rubber). The red also looks great next to the gold Beatles trim.

snaroff

IMG_1051 (resized).jpegIMG_1051 (resized).jpeg
#3409 5 years ago

I ordered a set of cabinet blades from Stern and they came in yesterday. There were no instructions included with them or on their site. Does anyone know if these are the air-egress kind like Tilt Graphics are where they can be re positioned if need be or are they permanent once they are stuck the first time?

#3410 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I ordered a set of cabinet blades from Stern and they came in yesterday. There were no instructions included with them or on their site. Does anyone know if these are the air-egress kind like Tilt Graphics are where they can be re positioned if need be or are they permanent once they are stuck the first time?

I dont know the product you are comparing to but I installed the stern blades on my maiden and pingraffix on my Metallica. The sterns are durable enough for minimal correction. I peeled mine back a bit a few times while applying. The pingraffix are stronger and are slightly more repositionable than the stern.
Sterns were still tough enough. I installed mine without even removing the playfield. Good luck. They look sharp.

#3411 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Do a wet install. Period. Painless, forgiving, and you'll get it the way you want it.

#3412 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree the black is too much. Dark blue is better than yellow/black, but I don't know why matching the headdress is interesting (since it's not visible from the players perspective and usually hidden when in a lineup).

The red looks good, too, but I don't understand your comment. The headdress is front and center on the translite.

#3413 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The red looks good, too, but I don't understand your comment. The headdress is front and center on the translite.

The blue in your earlier post matches the blue on the side of the head unit. The translite color looks like dark purple to me, so I assumed your preference for the blue in this post was referring to the blue on the side of the head unit (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/59#post-4684692). One of the reasons I decided to "go red" is the Iron Maiden red and the T-molding red are spot on. If the T-molding was more of an orange red, it wouldn't have turned out as well...

snaroff

#3414 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The blue in your earlier post matches the blue on the side of the head unit. The translite color looks like dark purple to me, so I assumed your preference for the blue in this post was referring to the blue on the side of the head unit (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/59#post-4684692). One of the reasons I decided to "go red" is the Iron Maiden red and the T-molding red are spot on. If the T-molding was more of an orange red, it wouldn't have turned out as well...
snaroff

I think the translite headdress is supposed to have blue stripes that match the sides, but the cool white LEDs in the backbox changed the color towards purple. Like I said, red still looks way better than banana yellow or black.

#3415 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do a wet install. Period. Painless, forgiving, and you'll get it the way you want it.

I've never done a wet install. I'll have to do some research on how to do it. I think you spray soapy water on the back and squeegee it off from what I've heard but there is probably more to it that that.

#3416 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I've never done a wet install. I'll have to do some research on how to do it. I think you spray soapy water on the back and squeegee it off from what I've heard but there is probably more to it that that.

Nope, that's pretty much the extent of it. Gives you plenty of time to align it perfectly, then you squeegee out the excess soapy water (make your own in an empty and well-rinsed windex bottle using a tablespoon or so of dish soap and then fill with water) and wipe it off with a paper towel. Don't be shy with the soapy water, either, make sure the decal is covered completely.

This pretty much covers it:

Rather than smoothing it with bare hands, I recommend using a squeege or wallpaper smoother like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZINSSER-CO-Flexible-Wallcovering-Smoothing-Tool/26376166

#3417 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope, that's pretty much the extent of it. Gives you plenty of time to align it perfectly, then you squeegee out the excess soapy water (make your own in an empty and well-rinsed windex bottle using a tablespoon or so of dish soap and then fill with water) and wipe it off with a paper towel.

plus there's no downside. This is a must if you have the more fragile paper-based blades

#3418 5 years ago

I installed the stern ones dry, I did remove the playfield. It was a snap to install. Just tape them in place from the top, when in the right position start at the front and peel half the backing off and apply, then untapped peel off the rest and install. It took longer to take the playfield out. I love the way they look!

#3419 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

plus there's no downside. This is a must if you have the more fragile paper-based blades

The stern ones he has are much thicker, but they still WILL tear if you pull from the wrong angle. Wet install basically eliminates any chance for an error because you have plenty of time to correct the placement without an ill-timed off-angle stick.

#3420 5 years ago

Has anyone created custom code?? For music and call outs?

#3421 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope, that's pretty much the extent of it. Gives you plenty of time to align it perfectly, then you squeegee out the excess soapy water (make your own in an empty and well-rinsed windex bottle using a tablespoon or so of dish soap and then fill with water) and wipe it off with a paper towel. Don't be shy with the soapy water, either, make sure the decal is covered completely.
Rather than smoothing it with bare hands, I recommend using a squeege or wallpaper smoother like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZINSSER-CO-Flexible-Wallcovering-Smoothing-Tool/26376166

Thanks for the advice and video! I installed them last night using the wet method and they came out perfectly! I'm glad I did the wet method because I had to re-position them a few times and one of my friends said he tried to put them on his Aerosmith dry, needed to re-position and ripped the decal. He called Stern and ultimately they sent him a replacement set, but hassle I wouldn't want to go through unless I had to.

IMG_20181230_113253 (resized).jpgIMG_20181230_113253 (resized).jpgIMG_20181230_113314 (resized).jpgIMG_20181230_113314 (resized).jpg
#3422 5 years ago

Next, I want to upgrade the cheap stock Stern speakers. Does anyone know if this is what I need to be looking for- both speakers are 8 ohm, sizes are 4" for backbox and 8" for cabinet speaker, does that sound right? Does anyone have any suggestions on brand or have a link without spending big money on Flipper Fidelity or the like? I installed Pyle speakers in the head and a Pyramid in the cabinet of my Metallica and was happy with the results, but that was of course a SAM system.

#3423 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Thanks for the advice and video! I installed them last night using the wet method and they came out perfectly! I'm glad I did the wet method because I had to re-position them a few times and one of my friends said he tried to put them on his Aerosmith dry, needed to re-position and ripped the decal. He called Stern and ultimately they sent him a replacement set, but hassle I wouldn't want to go through unless I had to.[quoted image][quoted image]

Turned out great. It would be nice if Stern shipped them with a little flyer talking about a wet install to save people grief.

#3424 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Next, I want to upgrade the cheap stock Stern speakers. Does anyone know if this is what I need to be looking for- both speakers are 8 ohm, sizes are 4" for backbox and 8" for cabinet speaker, does that sound right? Does anyone have any suggestions on brand or have a link without spending big money on Flipper Fidelity or the like? I installed Pyle speakers in the head and a Pyramid in the cabinet of my Metallica and was happy with the results, but that was of course a SAM system.

If you change the bracket you can put the same speakers that an LE has. Or you can get a bracket and rings, etc for about $100 from Stern by ordering the individual parts and have it look like an LE.

#3425 5 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Has anyone created custom code?? For music and call outs?

No custom callouts, but used pinball browser to add all new songs...
Sabbath, ozzy, met, gnr, muse, black keys, etc.

Makes it so much more enjoyable.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3426 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

No custom callouts, but used pinball browser to add all new songs...
Sabbath, ozzy, met, gnr, muse, black keys, etc.
Makes it so much more enjoyable.

But the modes make no sense then....
I like Iron Maiden music though

#3427 5 years ago

Does anyone know if there’s a plastic protectors set that has a piece that protects the plastic over the skill shot target. I like the yellow ones I’ve seen but no one seems to sell a full set, like pinbits does.

#3428 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

But the modes make no sense then....
I like Iron Maiden music though

I dont get why everyone says this. It will still say “2 minutes to midnight” and it’s not like the callouts are different - or the text, or the rules! I am replacing 2 minutes with “speed of light” per request of my son, and probably Aces high with “algorithm” by Muse. I don’t mind that, Powerslave is way over-represented

#3429 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Does anyone know if there’s a plastic protectors set that has a piece that protects the plastic over the skill shot target. I like the yellow ones I’ve seen but no one seems to sell a full set, like pinbits does.

Little Shop of Games has a 9 piece protector set that's clear and it includes the skill shot your asking about. I put it on my game, then bought the yellow ones with the cutout in the middle for the slings and return lanes. What I do when I see something I want

#3430 5 years ago

Has anyone noticed the Mummy Eddie insert (as well as the other 3 card inserts) is light blue which makes changing the color very difficult? I know the mod is for sale to color the cards, the modes, and the orbit comet but I've tried using a yellow gel for the mummy card but it turns green and there isn't a definitive way of getting a true yellow because of the blue tinted to the insert. Any input on this?

#3431 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Has anyone noticed the Mummy Eddie insert (as well as the other 3 card inserts) is light blue which makes changing the color very difficult? I know the mod is for sale to color the cards, the modes, and the orbit comet but I've tried using a yellow gel for the mummy card but it turns green and there isn't a definitive way of getting a true yellow because of the blue tinted to the insert. Any input on this?

I bought the mod and installed it, but have never gotten the mummy card, so I couldn't tell you

#3432 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I dont get why everyone says this. It will still say “2 minutes to midnight” and it’s not like the callouts are different - or the text, or the rules! I am replacing 2 minutes with “speed of light” per request of my son, and probably Aces high with “algorithm” by Muse. I don’t mind that, Powerslave is way over-represented

Clearly you dont listen to Maiden. The song lyrics tie in to the gameplay very well. Not a judgment. To each their own but if I dont like a band, I dont play that pin. You couldn't pay me to play Aerosmith.Theme counts for a lot with me though. I love Borg games but cant get into walking dead because its walking dead. I dont blindly go for theme either though. Ghostbusters is an amazing theme but I dont want to own one...or really even put money in one

#3433 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Clearly you dont listen to Maiden. The song lyrics tie in to the gameplay very well. Not a judgment. To each their own but if I dont like a band, I dont play that pin. You couldn't pay me to play Aerosmith.Theme counts for a lot with me though. I love Borg games but cant get into walking dead because its walking dead. I dont blindly go for theme either though. Ghostbusters is an amazing theme but I dont want to own one...or really even put money in one

This attitude will cause you to miss out on a lot of great pinball. Seriously, couldn't pay you to play a game because you don't like the theme? That is insane. Theme helps, but it certainly doesn't have any impact on the game being good or bad. If the shots and rules are good, it's a good game. If the theme sucks, minor deterrent. When I saw Lawlor's game was a cell phone theme I was disgusted. I just bought one and can't get enough of it. I'm a Maiden fan, but if it had a Tide detergent theme with the same shots and code it would still be great.

#3434 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Good god. Nope. Clearly I Don’t listen to Maiden. Here is a video from last year of me playing the Trooper with one of my bands.

The lyrics absolutely do -not- tie in with the gameplay in any meaningful way except maybe in Aces High and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Anyway, how is changing a song on a rock pin to another song BY THE SAME BAND such sacrelige? Had a hard time getting into it at first but I definitely think this game is on par with Dialed In, with some more interesting shots mixed in there

#3435 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Next, I want to upgrade the cheap stock Stern speakers. Does anyone know if this is what I need to be looking for- both speakers are 8 ohm, sizes are 4" for backbox

I can’t vouche for maiden yet, but I put these rockfords in my Aerosmith and they brought out more clarity and highs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF6HWF4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4 These work because the tweeter does not protrude past the cone. For my maiden I’m considering going with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I4D2YBI/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5 I have a 3.5 in one of my older wpc games and I believe the tweeters on these to be brighter so I kinda wanna try... also these tweeters are almost flush so I think they should work

#3436 5 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

It's a huge bitch to get the colors right with the smoked insert color of the Eddie Cards. Trust me. It was the hardest of the 4 color brackets I made for Iron Maiden just for that one reason. Total pain. I recommend you visit the Pin Monk store and save yourself the aggravation.

#3437 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Dang man you are missing out because AS and TWD are both great games, i think GB is as well. Borg is my favorite designer by far. Dont limit yourself like that.

#3438 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Dang man you are missing out because AS and TWD are both great games, i think GB is as well. Borg is my favorite designer by far. Dont limit yourself like that.

Cant be helped. I also am a huge Borg fan. It's not like older pins where theme is just a skin though. Art aside, the modes, music, callouts and gimmicks in modern games (usually) tie directly into the theme. Even Tron took me forever to warm up to because I am a huge fan of the original and didnt like the modern movie. I can play xmen all day even with storm yelling at me because xmen was one of my favorite cartoons/beat em up games in the 90s. I've got a Stern Star Trek on the way. Im not a Trekkie and I dont have strong feeling about the series either way so the gameplay sold me on that one.
Good shots only count for so much in modern games. If i like the theme I am more likely to try and progress through the modes.
Bottom line, Stern should only make theme I enjoy personally lol

#3439 5 years ago

Everyone should at least be open to trying any theme. Playing Aerosmith did make me long for deafness, but I still played it. The gameplay made me long to see it on Todd Tuckey's roof. All in all, I still had great fun talking with other pinheads about just how bad the game is. Who wants to miss out on that?

#3440 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I can’t vouche for maiden yet, but I put these rockfords in my Aerosmith and they brought out more clarity and highs. amazon.com link » These work because the tweeter does not protrude past the cone. For my maiden I’m considering going with these amazon.com link » I have a 3.5 in one of my older wpc games and I believe the tweeters on these to be brighter so I kinda wanna try... also these tweeters are almost flush so I think they should work

If they worked for Aerosmith I would think they would work for Iron Maiden. Did you replace the cabinet speaker on your AS, if so what did you use? Hmmm, I'm not sure what to do. You have tried the Rockfords and they fit, but you think the Kickers sound better.

Thanks for the reply and links!

#3441 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

Little Shop of Games has a 9 piece protector set that's clear and it includes the skill shot your asking about. I put it on my game, then bought the yellow ones with the cutout in the middle for the slings and return lanes. What I do when I see something I want

Thx, I ordered from little shop of games last night. Immediately after ordering I got a confirmation but was charged for express shipping, is this the only option? I sent an email 3 minutes after I ordered and never heard back and I was going to call today after work but got an email at 1:30 saying shipped, so I called and was told by the kid I talked to it was too late to edit. Not sure if this was the only shipping option but if so it is a little bit much. I was going to do the same and order the yellow pop plastics and cutout yellows as well. Happy I’m getting them, just wish there was a better ordering process.
Live and learn

Anyway thx for the heads up

#3442 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The shim method seems to get it working to almost 100%.
It's detailed here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/30#post-4726439

Thanks @vineland!
I’m now getting consistent autoplunges - success! But my manual plunges no longer work :-/ is there a known best approach for that?

#3443 5 years ago

Run To the Hills caught on video:

#3444 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Everyone should at least be open to trying any theme. Playing Aerosmith did make me long for deafness, but I still played it. The gameplay made me long to see it on Todd Tuckey's roof. All in all, I still had great fun talking with other pinheads about just how bad the game is. Who wants to miss out on that?

Aerosmith PAINS ME to play it. It's probably one of the only games I'll actually say I HATE. People say hate's a strong word...IMHO, not strong enough. Even setting theme aside, the shots aren't fun to me, modes aren't enjoyable, "sparky" call outs are alright which make the game slightly tolerable.

I just really despise it, lol

#3445 5 years ago
Quoted from AaronJames:

Run To the Hills caught on video:

Wonder what slope that pin is set at? Mine is so damn fast it's nearly unplayable. I've been raising it/lowering it and just can't get it dialed in. Even set the flippers to soft. Makes no difference. I lower it and the balls fly off ramps, I raise it and it's just as fast.

#3446 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Wonder what slope that pin is set at? Mine is so damn fast it's nearly unplayable. I've been raising it/lowering it and just can't get it dialed in. Even set the flippers to soft. Makes no difference. I lower it and the balls fly off ramps, I raise it and it's just as fast.

Same here - the game is supposed to be set up at 7.x pitch, right? That is so fast I can barely keep up, much less actually complete many of the modes!

#3447 5 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Aerosmith PAINS ME to play it. It's probably one of the only games I'll actually say I HATE. People say hate's a strong word...IMHO, not strong enough. Even setting theme aside, the shots aren't fun to me, modes aren't enjoyable, "sparky" call outs are alright which make the game slightly tolerable.
I just really despise it, lol

If I ever end up in hell, I’ll still have a pin collection. Only problem is that it will consist of Aerosmith and The Avengers.

#3448 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Same here - the game is supposed to be set up at 7.x pitch, right? That is so fast I can barely keep up, much less actually complete many of the modes!

6.5 degrees

#3449 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've had my rear legs all the way down to all the way up and everywhere in between. It's mach5 at every pitch.

#3450 5 years ago

I asked a few weeks ago and it was mentioned that the game “plays best” when elevated. When i put it down to 6.5 it was bricks and missed returns everywhere

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
There are 15,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 313.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/69?hl=estrader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.