(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5,735 posts
  • 536 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Rock914
  • Topic is favorited by 237 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,426 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E7208D41-7B9C-4559-A5AD-CB2CCF53B505 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5828 (resized).jpg
20191112_231317 (resized).jpg
20191112_231309 (resized).jpg
IMG_5823 (resized).jpg
B2E5C2EF-3996-41D6-A58F-D6F0E4B98001 (resized).jpeg
7FDF8CCA-6CC2-48FB-99A7-81FD4E7AF4D4 (resized).jpeg
CADDE0F3-6629-450B-9043-00BF821B4BDB (resized).jpeg
8D66DB48-AE18-46B5-B232-04A59E279ACB (resized).jpeg
B413E82B-92D0-49B1-ACE4-A1771BE84B28 (resized).jpeg
3B316D3C-128C-4018-B83D-8D3606DBF985 (resized).jpeg
Annotation 2019-11-12 130813 (resized).png
IMG_20191111_232128 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191111_233915 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191111_233814 (resized).jpg
20191111_113347 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5735 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 115.
#3251 11 months ago

I LOVE this topper. Too bad I already got the Laseriffic one and my wife won't let me buy it The Laseriffic one is nice, but this one is crazy good.

#3252 11 months ago

Just need some advice to make sure I'm ordering correct bulbs but are the spotlight bulbs (with the chrome plastic cone) a 5v 555 bulb? I have some previously ordered wedge style bulbs but they only light 2 of the 8 SMDs and dimly at that if at all. I thought these bulbs are the oversized wedge and thought they were 12v but Pinball Life said they are 5v.

#3253 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Just added the cyborg figure to premium. I took the bracket off original figure and drilled it into back of aftermarket figure. The trick was positioning his legs in a decent manner as I know another Pinsider had cut his legs down to fit.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really great! Where did you get the cyborg figure from?

#3254 11 months ago

(posted this in issues thread, but this is more appropriate):

What's everybody doing as far as their pitch on the game?

I bought one a few months ago and the legs were set to about a 7.3 pitch. The game was hard as hell, but it seemed pretty well dialed in. It's a bit *too* hard for me, so I just pulled it back down to 6.5, and now everything is all crazy! Shots are not returning to the flippers properly, I'm getting tons of drains. Some of it is just me getting used to the new pitch and speed, but it seems excessively floaty. Just curious what's a good setting. thanks!

#3255 11 months ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

I just added this topper from TiltTopper to my Iron Maiden. It's cheaper than the Stern version and I think it looks great.
Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/12/12/mods-twilight-zone-and-iron-maiden-topper-install-tilttopper-video/
YouTube Video : [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now that’s a great looking topper, especially for the premium. Are they still available?
I might have to move my game room around just to fit it

#3256 11 months ago

New to the club-my NIB LE arrives in ablkfn30 minutes. Just wondering if there have been any updates yet. Went to the stern site, and saw 1.7 GB spk file game code link from 8/16?? I’ve never seen a code update that big, so I’m guessing this isn’t one.
Can someone confirm this?
Thanks

#3257 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Just need some advice to make sure I'm ordering correct bulbs but are the spotlight bulbs (with the chrome plastic cone) a 5v 555 bulb? I have some previously ordered wedge style bulbs but they only light 2 of the 8 SMDs and dimly at that if at all. I thought these bulbs are the oversized wedge and thought they were 12v but Pinball Life said they are 5v.

Ya 5volt. https://www.pinballbulbs.com/specialty The super duper bulbs here work great

#3258 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

(posted this in issues thread, but this is more appropriate):
What's everybody doing as far as their pitch on the game?
I bought one a few months ago and the legs were set to about a 7.3 pitch. The game was hard as hell, but it seemed pretty well dialed in. It's a bit *too* hard for me, so I just pulled it back down to 6.5, and now everything is all crazy! Shots are not returning to the flippers properly, I'm getting tons of drains. Some of it is just me getting used to the new pitch and speed, but it seems excessively floaty. Just curious what's a good setting. thanks!

I thought Keith and/or some of the guys said in a deadflip stream that the game plays best at or around 7 deg. Mine is around 7.1-7.3 and plays fantastic.

#3259 11 months ago
Quoted from bowz:

New to the club-my NIB LE arrives in ablkfn30 minutes. Just wondering if there have been any updates yet. Went to the stern site, and saw 1.7 GB spk file game code link from 8/16?? I’ve never seen a code update that big, so I’m guessing this isn’t one.
Can someone confirm this?
Thanks

I remember the latest code being just under 2mb so that sounds right. I remember because SW was crazy big, larger than maiden, like 4 or 5 gb or so.

#3260 11 months ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Now that’s a great looking topper, especially for the premium. Are they still available?
I might have to move my game room around just to fit it

Contact TiltTopper and see if any more are available

info@tilttopper.com
http://www.tilttopper.com/contact.html

#3261 11 months ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

Contact TiltTopper and see if any more are available
info@tilttopper.com
http://www.tilttopper.com/contact.html

I emailed them a little while ago

#3262 11 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought Keith and/or some of the guys said in a deadflip stream that the game plays best at or around 7 deg. Mine is around 7.1-7.3 and plays fantastic.

aah ok thanks, that definitely makes sense

#3263 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That looks really great! Where did you get the cyborg figure from?

It's another aftermarket Eddie. Cyborg is a bit expensive compared to the others.

#3264 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

It's another aftermarket Eddie. Cyborg is a bit expensive compared to the others.

but I mean where can you find that thing, I'm seeing it for $200! that can't be right, can it?

#3265 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

but I mean where can you find that thing, I'm seeing it for $200! that can't be right, can it?

Yes, that's the one. If you're lucky you can find one close to 110 or 120

#3266 11 months ago

I’m having an odd problem. Tho opto on the right ramp doesn’t register during game play but does register during test. Any ideas what might be going on here?

#3267 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

aah ok thanks, that definitely makes sense

Mine is 7.1 degrees. Plays great now.

#3268 11 months ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

I’m having an odd problem. Tho opto on the right ramp doesn’t register during game play but does register during test. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Check alignment and solder connections. If it's not aligned, it may miss a fast moving ball. Are you checking it with a ball during switch edges? Also, you might have a loose wire that engages when the game is not vibrating. Check for sloppy solder.

#3269 11 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Mine is 7.1 degrees. Plays great now.

Thanks- setting it back now!

#3270 11 months ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Just for reference here's a pic of the LED used in the Clairvoyant globe with a regular sized match for scale. The LED is inserted into the globe about halfway (facing forwards) with a small drop of superglue applied to the wires at the edge to keep it in place.
[quoted image]

I'm not finding the pico slow changing RGB on lighthouseleds….did you get them somewhere else? I see the pico single color leds, and 3mm round top LEDs that I'll use for the spitfire guns, but not the RGB pico...

#3271 11 months ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I'm not finding the pico slow changing RGB on lighthouseleds….did you get them somewhere else? I see the pico single color leds, and 3mm round top LEDs that I'll use for the spitfire guns, but not the RGB pico

Nahhh i found them on Ebay, supposedly a US seller but shipped from China they still turned up fairly quickly though.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-60Pcs-9-12V-Pre-Wired-0402-0603-0805-1206-SMD-LED-Diodes-Chip-Warm-White-Red/123087564991?hash=item1ca89730bf:m:m7Xt0NgNkGSXI3rYn8XIBmg:rk:pf:0

Disregard the headphone emoji, link still works, just so happens that part of the link corresponded with the bloody emoji
Choose led type 0805, the smaller types aren't available in RGB and also 9-12V prewired, the rest of the choices are obvious.
I will add that i joined the wiring from another LED (cut off between the LED head and the resistor) so that the resistor attached was underneath the playfield. I'm a bit anal about trying to keep the wiring on mods as unseen and neat as i possibly can.

#3272 11 months ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I'm not finding the pico slow changing RGB on lighthouseleds….did you get them somewhere else? I see the pico single color leds, and 3mm round top LEDs that I'll use for the spitfire guns, but not the RGB pico...

Right next door to you in Washington, they are fast.

https://lighthouseleds.com/0805-chip-micro-smd-wide-angle-12v-pre-wired-ultra-bright-led-rgb-slow-auto-change.html

#3273 11 months ago

20181218_092954 (resized).jpg20181218_094758 (resized).jpg
#3274 11 months ago

Congrats on your new game! You are going to absolutely love this game. It is so bad ass!!

#3275 11 months ago

Thanks guys! The Micro category was probably the only link I hadn't clicked on yet at lighthouse...now I feel dumb. And it was product 11 of 11 so hidden on the second page by itself. Ebay LEDs look very similar though I don't need a 10 pack. (lighthouse is a 5 pack for about the same price per LED).

I do like the idea of placing the resistors beneath the PF...just depends on how much of a hassle it would be for 2-3 leds.

#3276 11 months ago

I'm still trying to figure out some of the game rules based on the game instructions previously written up but I'm not quite clear on a few game points.
1) When the game says "Shoot the sarcophagus!", what is the exact target? I'm confused if that's the stationary ball above M-U-M-M-Y or hitting the left ramp that loops around.
2) to get one of the tree inserts to light solidly, do you have to complete the mode or just start the mode? It seems that some of the modes it stays solid just for starting the mode, others you have to progress.
3) I'm unclear on the 4 Eddie inserts and what exactly completes them. I know Trooper you start Trooper multiball but I still am unclear about what "completes" this

I wish that Stern would publish a more complete set of rules for games because it's confusing to try to figure these games out at times for completing modes and advancing. I usually try to go for mode completion vs. points when I play.

#3277 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I'm still trying to figure out some of the game rules based on the game instructions previously written up but I'm not quite clear on a few game points.
1) When the game says "Shoot the sarcophagus!", what is the exact target? I'm confused if that's the stationary ball above M-U-M-M-Y or hitting the left ramp that loops around.
2) to get one of the tree inserts to light solidly, do you have to complete the mode or just start the mode? It seems that some of the modes it stays solid just for starting the mode, others you have to progress.
3) I'm unclear on the 4 Eddie inserts and what exactly completes them. I know Trooper you start Trooper multiball but I still am unclear about what "completes" this
I wish that Stern would publish a more complete set of rules for games because it's confusing to try to figure these games out at times for completing modes and advancing. I usually try to go for mode completion vs. points when I play.

Sarcophagus is the captive/newton ball. It says shoot sarcophagus to open pharoah's tomb, which is the left ramp in premium and right orbit in pro. Although the center ramp could also be the tomb since that is where you lock a ball on the pro.

#3278 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I'll try my best...

Quoted from DrMark12PA:

That's the captive balls. Shoot them to spell "MUMMY", which lights Sarcophagus lock. "Virtually Lock" a ball by hitting the Pharoah. Then hit the captive balls to spell "MUMMY" again to start Mummy Multiball.

Quoted from DrMark12PA:

2) To get one of the tree inserts to light solidly, do you have to complete the mode or just start the mode? It seems that some of the modes it stays solid just for starting the mode, others you have to progress.

Just start a mode. If you complete it, you'll have the opportunity to collect a Soul Shard, which advances you to a Wizard Mode, but isn't apparent from the lighting of the tree. Just starting all the modes will get you to the 2 Minutes to Midnight Mode.

Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I believe you need to hit enough shots in those modes to light, then collect their "Super Jackpot" to collect the card.

#3279 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

They did publish a backpass. 10 plus pages.

Can't remember where it is - too big too paste here.

#3280 11 months ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

TiltForums has the definitive guide: http://tiltforums.com/t/iron-maiden-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3787

#3281 11 months ago

Day one and I'm modding away.
Pinnovators board installed.
Shaker installed.
Pharoah blinder kit installed.
Pharoah protector installed.
Vireland's mode light tree installed.(before game one)
Titan rings (mostly installed)
Navy blue t molding installed
Cheap mummy plastic "installed".

Tomorrows mods
Finish Titans
Swap out fan
Install art blades

Only played 5 games today but my auto launch seems good
20181218_164053 (resized).jpg

#3282 11 months ago

The only issue I've had so far is an odd one. I think my glass is cut at just a slight angle. No matter how much figuring I do it goes in and I have to force the left side up as hard as I can to get the lockdown bar in place. (It catches the left edge of the glass)
I'm going to measure it tomorrow. Everything seems flush with no obstructions so idk what's going on.

#3283 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

The only issue I've had so far is an odd one. I think my glass is cut at just a slight angle. No matter how much figuring I do it goes in and I have to force the left side up as hard as I can to get the lockdown bar in place. (It catches the left edge of the glass)
I'm going to measure it tomorrow. Everything seems flush with no obstructions so idk what's going on.

That would be your cabinet, not the glass.

#3284 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Shaker installed.
Tomorrows mods
Finish Titans
Swap out fan
Install art blades
[quoted image]

Lets get a better pic w/ the blue t-molding! I had thought about doing that too! Edit: you removed the chrome from metallica and went blue too?

#3285 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Shaker installed.
Tomorrows mods
Finish Titans
Swap out fan
Install art blades
[quoted image]

CATAN!

#3286 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Shaker installed.
Tomorrows mods
Finish Titans
Swap out fan
Install art blades
[quoted image]

Great work, add some pin stadiums you won’t regret it. Hook the pin stadium uv flashers up to the bulleye, its fantastic. Bonus points for adding a chrome candy cherry red shooter rod. feels great.

Best have a sub hooked up to the pinnovators.

#3287 11 months ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Great work, add some pin stadiums you won’t regret it. Hook the pin stadium uv flashers up to the bulleye, its fantastic. Bonus points for adding a chrome candy cherry red shooter rod. feels great.
Best have a sub hooked up to the pinnovators.

Pinstadiums are really overkill on Iron Maiden. The playfield is reasonably well lit. Blasting it with light from every angle would ruin the ambience, I think.

#3288 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Pinstadiums are really overkill on Iron Maiden. The playfield is reasonably well lit. Blasting it with light from every angle would ruin the ambience, I think.

I can respect that. I tried my first set on this pin and enjoy them quite a bit, except when I have to raise the playfield. Overkill and expensive for value yes, but I’d rather have them than not if cost was a nonissue. UV flashers work really well with this pin in my opinion. Not for everyone tastes I understand.

#3289 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

I changed all my GI to warm white and then added the pinballbulbs kit for this game which was a couple spotlights and back lights strip and flipper light strip. Seemed way more affordable too than the pinstadium pricey led strips, plus no hassling when pulling PF up and down. I like it currently. The warms really did well with the current artwork imo and the couple spots weren't overkill. Local arcade/small bar had pinstadiums in their new premium and it was glaring hardcore when I first went to try and see if I wanted to buy an iron maiden.

#3290 11 months ago
Quoted from pickleric:

I can respect that. I tried my first set on this pin and enjoy them quite a bit, except when I have to raise the playfield. Overkill and overpriced for value yes, but I’d rather have them than not. UV flashers work really well with this pin in my opinion.

I'm actually okay with the price of the pinstadiums. The UV lighting is a major concern, though, and the main reason why I won't have them in any machine I own or maintain on a route until there's better documentation of what nm range the "UV" light is in as real UV can blow out your eyes over time - permanently. There's literally no technical documentation on what the wavelength the UV light is in the pinstadiums, and that's bad. Eventually I will test pinstadiums with a spectrum analyzer, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

#3291 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

I'm actually okay with the price of the pinstadiums. The UV lighting is a major concern, though, and the main reason why I won't have them in any machine I own or maintain on a route until there's better documentation of what nm range the "UV" light is in as real UV can blow out your eyes over time - permanently. There's literally no technical documentation on what the wavelength the UV light is in the pinstadiums, and that's bad. Eventually I will test pinstadiums with a spectrum analyzer, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

That’s not good. About this I did not know!

#3292 11 months ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Lets get a better pic w/ the blue t-molding! I had thought about doing that too! Edit: you removed the chrome from metallica and went blue too?

Metallica is purple with purple speaker lights. Iron maiden is navy. Probably add some blue speaker lights. (Picture turns out best with the game soft but still comes out dark)
The blue goes really well with the side art on the head.
Chrome trim should be burned. Fugly stuff

20181219_002658 (resized).jpg20181219_002709 (resized).jpg20181219_002727 (resized).jpg

#3293 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

And you can make a poor mans pinstadium for about $25cdn. That's like one american dollar right? I made one for my blackout for about $15 with just some warm white. Pinstadium is overpriced for what it is. You are paying for the phone app

#3294 11 months ago

I mean you could make the argument this entire hobby is a bit overpriced for what is. (Except virelands mods )

#3295 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Shaker installed.
Tomorrows mods
Finish Titans
Swap out fan
Install art blades

Edit. Couldn't sleep. Quite fan installed
Just some harder to get to Titans tomorrow and I'm waiting on Vireland's loop mod. Need to figure out a different way to do the speaker lights than the Metallica Sam layout. Shouldnt be too difficult.
The more I'm looking at it I dont think this game needs any speaker lights with that big screen. If anyone has added speaker lights, could you please post some pics? I was thinking about lining the rectangles, not the actual speakers themselves like I did with Metallica

#3296 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

People must love looking at zebra stripes

As for the UV - not worth taking risks with people's eyes.

Studies have already shown blue leds can damage the cells in the retina.

The crazy thing is that pinball was never meant to be played in blindingly bright light, ambience adds to the atmosphere.

A combination of light and dark on a playfield adds contrast.

Anyway, each to their own....

#3297 11 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

People must love looking at zebra stripes
As for the UV - not worth taking risks with people's eyes.
Studies have already shown blue leds can damage the cells in the retina.
The crazy thing is that pinball was never meant to be played in blindingly bright light, ambience adds to the atmosphere.
A combination of light and dark on a playfield adds contrast.
Anyway, each to their own....

If the blue LED don't get you, the bus probably will.

Rob

#3298 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

“Led”black light falls in the 380-405 nm range. That’s why with the led’s The light is so much more visible and purple. I make uv cure resins and coatings So we talk about this kind of stuff at work...someone could write pinstadium and ask them to include that info.

#3299 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Metallica is purple with purple speaker lights. Iron maiden is navy. Probably add some blue speaker lights. (Picture turns out best with the game soft but still comes out dark)
The blue goes really well with the side art on the head.
Chrome trim should be burned. Fugly stuff
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those look great! I like how subtle the dark blue is on maiden. Yea, my metallica has the chrome trim I’ve always been meh about it

#3300 11 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Edit. Couldn't sleep. Quite fan installed
Need to figure out a different way to do the speaker lights than the Metallica Sam layout. Shouldnt be too difficult.
The more I'm looking at it I dont think this game needs any speaker lights with that big screen. If anyone has added speaker lights, could you please post some pics? I was thinking about lining the rectangles, not the actual speakers themselves like I did with Metallica

Yeah....it's been done and it was more difficult to design than you would think. I've even put a SAM Speaker Light Kit in a SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit. Here are some pictures of them in SPIKE 2 games.

Doug (www.SpeakerLightKits.com)

Customer submitted (resized).jpgSPIKE 2 (resized).jpgYo Dawg (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
There are 5735 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 115.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside