(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,653 posts
  • 1,042 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Kkoss24
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6659 (resized).png
IMG_6658 (resized).png
IMG_6660 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6664 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6662 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5503 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240325_202244_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240325_202205_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
IMG_8122 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,653 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 314.
#3101 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Really? How come?

The design causes phantom scoring at times and completely doesn't register at others. I've played a few premiums and one le in tournaments and they end up pulling it from the line up because of these issues. Definitely going Pro when I buy this title.

#3102 5 years ago

Once you get them adjusted perfectly (and there is little room for error if you want every hit to register), the newton balls work great and really add to the game--as you can hit them from all angles. Really nice to be able to ring up Mummy letters and jackpot hits from the side!

#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Once you get them adjusted perfectly (and there is little room for error if you want every hit to register), the newton balls work great and really add to the game--as you can hit them from all angles. Really nice to be able to ring up Mummy letters and jackpot hits from the side!

What kind of problem are people having with the newton balls? Mine seem to work flawlessly. I have never heard a complaint about them until now.

#3104 5 years ago

Leaf switch gap is too big or too small, actuator arm isn't centered in the cup, and other maladies. Evidently someone took the time to get yours right at the factory...

#3105 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Has anyone attempted to add the newton ball from the premium onto the pro for the orb shot? I really like that feature in the premium.[quoted image][quoted image]

I don't think drilling the playfield would be a good idea... I love the mechanism but it needs a little adjusting in some machines.

#3106 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I think everyone who has the newton ball wishes they didn't have one!

Not tru, I love it
Mine work perfectly!

#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I think everyone who has the newton ball wishes they didn't have one!

I have played both extensively and, by far, prefer the newton ball. It's actually more difficult to build up jackpots with it.

#3108 5 years ago

I love the newton ball. Premium is definitely the way to go with this machine. (unless it's a route machine, then I totally get it)

#3109 5 years ago

I think the Newton balls suck and are a horrible design, but they arent too bad with a little tweaking. I think the real bitch on the Premium and LE's could end up being all of the other moving parts down the road when they start failing.

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the Newton balls suck and are a horrible design, but they arent too bad with a little tweaking. I think the real bitch on the Premium and LE's could end up being all of the other moving parts down the road when they start failing.

Bah. Life is short, live for the moment! Playing the Pro after owning an LE is like playing playing a visual pinball version of the game. Missing all the kinetic feedback that the Prem/LE provides. If you have a Pro and love it just don't play an Prem or LE and you'll be fine.

..and get a Flu shot!

#3111 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Really? How come?

Because the mech is rubbish
In my case and I suspect many others

The idea for a leaf switch to be activated by a post and spoon was meant for pops and has proven effective.

Stern engineers took a cheapskate solution for IMDN by copying a design intended for pops.

in IMDN the ball, rod, spring, pencil post can bind and get sticky. Even after complete disassembly clean and lube it can still bind.
the spoon leaf sw tolerance are to tight.
even if you get it adjusted okay the leaf is fine and flimsy can cause bounce and false hits.

Overall the mech is junk and needs to be replaced with something reliable.

#3112 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Bah. Life is short, live for the moment! Playing the Pro after owning an LE is like playing playing a visual pinball version of the game. Missing all the kinetic feedback that the Prem/LE provides. If you have a Pro and love it just don't play an Prem or LE and you'll be fine.
..and get a Flu shot!

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the overstatement of the day. Talk about premium coping at its finest.

#3113 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Leaf switch gap is too big or too small, actuator arm isn't centered in the cup, and other maladies. Evidently someone took the time to get yours right at the factory...

mine was actually having some of those issues (not properly centered), took me 10 minutes to adjust and it's working perfectly ever since (like the rest of the mechs). never played a pro but i definitely like getting power jackpots from different angles!

#3114 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Not tru, I love it
Mine work perfectly!

Maybe not EVERYONE then

#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Because the mech is rubbish
In my case and I suspect many others
The idea for a leaf switch to be activated by a post and spoon was meant for pops and has proven effective.
Stern engineers took a cheapskate solution for IMDN by copying a design intended for pops.
in IMDN the ball, rod, spring, pencil post can bind and get sticky. Even after complete disassembly clean and lube it can still bind.
the spoon leaf sw tolerance are to tight.
even if you get it adjusted okay the leaf is fine and flimsy can cause bounce and false hits.
Overall the mech is junk and needs to be replaced with something reliable.

I've owned IMDN for 7 months and with a little tweaking, the mech has been great with hundreds of games. Perhaps you have a faulty mech.

#3116 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

n IMDN the ball, rod, spring, pencil post can bind and get sticky. Even after complete disassembly clean and lube it can still bind.

It only sticks when the retaining collar isn't adjusted right. Plus, it doesn't need any lubrication.

Rob

#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

..and get a Flu shot!

I prefer the pro, but that is probably because I learned the game on a pro. The Prem/LE adds confusion to a game I think I already know.

#3118 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I don't think drilling the playfield would be a good idea... I love the mechanism but it needs a little adjusting in some machines.

I agree. After thinking about how irreversible that would be, I've changed my mind. I liked how the newton ball slowed the ball on that shot, but I don't think it would be worth it.

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

..and get a Flu shot!

I have a Premium and i love it so im not complaining at all. Im just saying that the game "could" possibly need a lot of maintenance down the road, time will tell. Im not worried about it, I'll just fix it if it does. IMDN is my favorite game of my collection.

Oh yeah, and no way on the flu shot! Lol

#3120 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It only sticks when the retaining collar isn't adjusted right. Plus, it doesn't need any lubrication.
Rob

Thanks Rob
When time allows Ill pull it down again and have another go

#3121 5 years ago

Hey guys,

I’m trying to install some mirror blades on my Maiden, and the bottom of the mirror is hitting this piece pictured below. Can somebody tell me what this is used for, and is it ok if I remove it? They are on both sides.

FB9CFB5E-14C0-4678-A612-2918E03CCCDF (resized).jpegFB9CFB5E-14C0-4678-A612-2918E03CCCDF (resized).jpeg
#3122 5 years ago
Quoted from JohnVee:

Hey guys,
I’m trying to install some mirror blades on my Maiden, and the bottom of the mirror is hitting this piece pictured below. Can somebody tell me what this is used for, and is it ok if I remove it? They are on both sides.
[quoted image]

Its ok i take mine off then reinstall to help hold the mirrors

#3123 5 years ago
Quoted from JohnVee:

Hey guys,
[quoted image]

They are to help guide the playfield back into place when you put it back down.

#3124 5 years ago

I like the stern lollipop rails for this... anyone got pics of some installed?

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I like the stern lollipop rails for this... anyone got pics of some installed?

DSC03909 (resized).JPGDSC03909 (resized).JPG
#3126 5 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Its ok i take mine off then reinstall to help hold the mirrors

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

They are to help guide the playfield back into place when you put it back down.

Ok great, thanks guys.

#3127 5 years ago

This game is the best. It’s ALWAYS fun to play. The layout has great shots and nearly no cheap drains, but I don’t think the code gets enough credit. It could be my favorite mix of modes, achieveable wizard modes, difficult wizard modes, stacking, side achievements, etc.

I’m not sure if timballs was on the code team, but if he was, sign me up for whatever is next from him.

#3128 5 years ago

FFIW. After a few initial tweaks my newton ball mechs have been fine for 5 months now. I play it almost every day.

#3129 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This game is the best. It’s ALWAYS fun to play. The layout has great shots and nearly no cheap drains, but I don’t think the code gets enough credit. It could be my favorite mix of modes, achieveable wizard modes, difficult wizard modes, stacking, side achievements, etc.
I’m not sure if timballs was on the code team, but if he was, sign me up for whatever is next from him.

Totally agree, this game is a blast to play. I dont like to make statements like bolted down anymore because we all know that things change and not many games are truly bolted to the floor, but i really dont ever see me letting this game go ever. Its always fun to play like you said and it just never gets old. All of the modes are fun to play except Flight of Icarus. I love busting Eddie out of jail in Hallowed be thy name, that never ever gets old.

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I do wish the software credits and even side contributions were better documented from Stern.

#3131 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Totally agree, this game is a blast to play. I dont like to make statements like bolted down anymore because we all know that things change and not many games are truly bolted to the floor, but i really dont ever see me letting this game go ever. Its always fun to play like you said and it just never gets old. All of the modes are fun to play except Flight of Icarus. I love busting Eddie out of jail in Hallowed be thy name, that never ever gets old.

FOI could certainly be updated to be more fun.

Quoted from PinMonk:

I do wish the software credits and even side contributions were better documented from Stern.

They are in SW and can be viewed with a flipper code.

Rob

#3132 5 years ago

I'm joining the club in about 7 days (:
Merry christmas

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

FOI could certainly be updated to be more fun.

They are in SW and can be viewed with a flipper code.
Rob

Which is great for that one title, but I mean Stern should have a policy of detailed software credits for ALL their modern titles, at least from here forward if we can't get back to at least 2010.

#3134 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Also who makes plastic protectors for maiden now, hoping for some colored ones maybe. And I don’t see shooter lane protectors from cliffy yet, any options? Also is the Pharoah protector a must, I’m assuming so.
Anything else I need to order. I have blades, colored tree mod, shaker coming, will definitely switch to titan rubbers just need to figure out colors.

@hdmike444
I set my site up officially and started making these again - https://truecolorprotectors.com/products/iron-maiden-truecolor-plastic-protectors

#3135 5 years ago

I just added these two insert-coloring mods to the Iron Maiden lens tree mod thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod#post-4665122). They'll be in the Pin Monk store here on pinside (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk) next week:

FIREBALL BRACKET
fireball-compare_sml (resized).jpgfireball-compare_sml (resized).jpg

EDDIE CARDS
eddie-cards-sml (resized).jpgeddie-cards-sml (resized).jpg

#3136 5 years ago

Uh ya.... im on board

#3137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I just added these two insert-coloring mods to the Iron Maiden lens tree mod thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod#post-4665122). They'll be in the Pin Monk store here on pinside (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk) next week:
FIREBALL BRACKET
[quoted image]
EDDIE CARDS
[quoted image]

Damn it., I’ve been thinking about selling but after re-leveling the game and seeing these .. ughh.. and I’m out of space!

#3138 5 years ago

I spent time playing the pro a lot today and I want this game pretty badly. I can get a pro locally, however I really think I want the full features of the premium/LE. Such a blast of a game

#3139 5 years ago

I’d like to find an LE I can trade a GBLE

#3140 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

[quoted image]

Looks good, but I was thinking the Union Jack stern ones

#3141 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I’d like to find an LE I can trade a GBLE

You're asking for a Ferrari in trade for a Mustang that was top of the recall list.

#3142 5 years ago

Cash added of course

#3143 5 years ago

All recalls on this mustang have been done

#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

FIREBALL BRACKET
[quoted image]
EDDIE CARDS
[quoted image]

They look great Victor. I'm in for both sets when you start selling them.

#3145 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Damn it., I’ve been thinking about selling but after re-leveling the game and seeing these .. ughh.. and I’m out of space!

Don’t do that, you’ll just have to buy one again later!

#3146 5 years ago

Okay.... So, it looks like I got to make my first major repair on my Iron Maiden... Major for me that is. It should just be a minor repair. Also I got another weird issue for you all to hear about.
So the upper flipper one of the soldered wires broke on it. And I think I just need to re-attach it... Its the two grey wires that go on the coil and not the other one. Anything special I need to do to solder it. Do I need to strip the wire and rethread it into the little holes... Just curious as I've never soldered pinball wires before.

And my second issue is few about few days now, when I've been playing. Sometimes the game does a ball search sometimes it doesn't. Well... I found out why it did the ball search.
when I took the balls out of game so I can raise the playfield there were only 5 balls in the tray... But, there were no balls in the sarcophagus lock or the little tunnel leading to it or the playfield... Somehow the ball got loose somewhere, and fell beneath the playfield. When I lifted it up it dropped into hte cabinet. Weird...
Just really weird.

#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Okay.... So, it looks like I got to make my first major repair on my Iron Maiden... Major for me that is. It should just be a minor repair. Also I got another weird issue for you all to hear about.
So the upper flipper one of the soldered wires broke on it. And I think I just need to re-attach it... Its the two grey wires that go on the coil and not the other one. Anything special I need to do to solder it. Do I need to strip the wire and rethread it into the little holes... Just curious as I've never soldered pinball wires before.
And my second issue is few about few days now, when I've been playing. Sometimes the game does a ball search sometimes it doesn't. Well... I found out why it did the ball search.
when I took the balls out of game so I can raise the playfield there were only 5 balls in the tray... But, there were no balls in the sarcophagus lock or the little tunnel leading to it or the playfield... Somehow the ball got loose somewhere, and fell beneath the playfield. When I lifted it up it dropped into hte cabinet. Weird...
Just really weird.

I'm getting quite a few balls getting caught in between the sarcophagus lock and the plastic - it's jamming the sarcophagus lock and I'm sure eventually will lead to motor burnout, or something breaking. Anybody have a suggested fix for this?

#3148 5 years ago

Down to 7 toppers left limited edition pm if interested

#3149 5 years ago

Did I read somewhere where Keith's image was in place of Eddie at the end of the game somewhere?
If I remember correctly, there was a setting somewhere that needed to be changed?

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Did I read somewhere where Keith's image was in place of Eddie at the end of the game somewhere?
If I remember correctly, there was a setting somewhere that needed to be changed?

In Fear of the Dark mode it will randomly have a spook chasing Keith from a side perspective. You can up the frequency in the settings to make it less rare.

The post is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/62#post-4716347

(It's also in the key post index for this thread for easy finding)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 15,653 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 314.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/63?hl=estrader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.