(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5,704 posts
  • 533 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 237 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,421 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B2E5C2EF-3996-41D6-A58F-D6F0E4B98001 (resized).jpeg
7FDF8CCA-6CC2-48FB-99A7-81FD4E7AF4D4 (resized).jpeg
CADDE0F3-6629-450B-9043-00BF821B4BDB (resized).jpeg
8D66DB48-AE18-46B5-B232-04A59E279ACB (resized).jpeg
B413E82B-92D0-49B1-ACE4-A1771BE84B28 (resized).jpeg
3B316D3C-128C-4018-B83D-8D3606DBF985 (resized).jpeg
Annotation 2019-11-12 130813 (resized).png
IMG_20191111_232128 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191111_233915 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191111_233814 (resized).jpg
20191111_113347 (resized).jpg
20191111_113157 (resized).jpg
20191111_113117 (resized).jpg
20191111_112959 (resized).jpg
20191024_160034 (resized).jpg
FC8A2A87-2160-41F2-B299-8AA95437554B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5704 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 115.
#1951 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

Asking for some advice please guys. I have my LE and upon closer look I have heaps of scratches all over my pf'd.
They basically run from top to bottom! They were there even before I played a ball. Noticed them when setting up as did those who were there to help me.
I have spoken to my distro, so no, this isn't a witch hunt. They have advised me of their thoughts.
I am honestly just looking for feedback as to whether this is something normal or not? I am really struggling to decide if I do not worry about it or push the issue that something has happened to cause this and should be fixed.
I have cleaned the pf'd with Novus as well as given it a wax with no difference.
Thoughts please. Cheers guys. (and again, just after honest feedback pls.)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’d ditch those balls ASAP! Did you use the stern balls? Also, did you wax?

#1952 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

Asking for some advice please guys. I have my LE and upon closer look I have heaps of scratches all over my pf'd.
They basically run from top to bottom! They were there even before I played a ball. Noticed them when setting up as did those who were there to help me.
I have spoken to my distro, so no, this isn't a witch hunt. They have advised me of their thoughts.
I am honestly just looking for feedback as to whether this is something normal or not? I am really struggling to decide if I do not worry about it or push the issue that something has happened to cause this and should be fixed.
I have cleaned the pf'd with Novus as well as given it a wax with no difference.
Thoughts please. Cheers guys. (and again, just after honest feedback pls.)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Judging by your pics, which appear to require a perfect angle of light, these are normal surface scratches and likely came from testing and Stern's crappy balls. If not, it may be from the assembly line tools or something, but they look to be shallow surface scratches. You're going to get these anyway, so asking for a new pf is just going to cost needless time and money. The clear is thick for a reason, so enjoy your game and don't worry about it. Everyone that owns a pinball machine needs to remember that ALL playfields scratch and dent. If you want it pristine, leave it in the box. Not being condescending. Just stating the facts.

#1953 1 year ago

I'm going with that's not normal, try to get a new PF. Do they have texture or does the playfield feel flat? Is it definitely in the clear and not the paint?

#1954 1 year ago

My premium ships today. Very excited, loved it the time I played it on route.

#1955 1 year ago

My prem showed up yesterday. 7/13 date with 1.02 code. First modern stern and first NIB ever. Loving it so far.

#1956 1 year ago

My Premium will be here in a couple days i believe, i cant wait! That damn truck driver better be driving safe right now with my baby on board!

#1957 1 year ago

This is probably old news to most of you, but I just noticed Stern added metal clips on the flasher spots (and metal wires on the GI spots) to keep the bulbs from falling out like they do on my Star Trek. Nice add.

#1958 1 year ago

Was expecting delivery 15th August, but suddenly I became a physical owner today :O

Looks great, plays great except after we set the slope steeper it suddenly started missing the "full loop" plunge, its rattling into upper left flipper or the loop rails and stops. tips?

20180731_135803 (resized).jpg20180731_140708 (resized).jpg20180731_141107 (resized).jpg20180731_145517 (resized).jpg20180731_152734 (resized).jpg
#1959 1 year ago

Looking to get some replacement balls and trying to decide between silverjet and regular balls from Marco. My table isn't set up yet and I can't remember from playing it over the weekend at CA Extreme, does this table have any magnet effects?

#1960 1 year ago

No magnets

#1961 1 year ago
Quoted from malklavious:

Looking to get some replacement balls and trying to decide between silverjet and regular balls from Marco. My table isn't set up yet and I can't remember from playing it over the weekend at CA Extreme, does this table have any magnet effects?

Skip both of those balls and get some Ball Baron balls.

#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from malklavious:

Looking to get some replacement balls and trying to decide between silverjet and regular balls from Marco

Neither. This game rocks with Ball Baron Ninja balls: https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/

#1963 1 year ago

This does not look right?

The plunger should be centrred, right?

20180731_232932 (resized).jpg
#1964 1 year ago

Supposedly, yes. I've bent and centered, and un-centred mine and still can't get it to work consistently. Maybe they have to be all out of whack like yours to work right!

#1965 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Supposedly, yes. I've bent and centered, and un-centred mine and still can't get it to work consistently. Maybe they have to be all out of whack like yours to work right!

It does NOT work right

#1966 1 year ago

Thanks for the Ball Baron suggestion!

#1967 1 year ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I’d ditch those balls ASAP! Did you use the stern balls? Also, did you wax?

I didn't use the Stern balls at all!! This was before I'd even played a ball. I swapped them out straight away and put in Pinball Life balls from memory

#1968 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I'm going with that's not normal, try to get a new PF. Do they have texture or does the playfield feel flat? Is it definitely in the clear and not the paint?

Thanks for the reply, not sure if it's in the clear or under. Can't tell, can't feel the scratches which apparently is a good thing as they are not deep I've been told?!? Taken some more detailed photos and will see if it gets worse over a few more plays. If so, I recon there's a possible problem

#1969 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

Thanks for the reply, not sure if it's in the clear or under. Can't tell, can't feel the scratches which apparently is a good thing as they are not deep I've been told?!? Taken some more detailed photos and will see if it gets worse over a few more plays. If so, I recon there's a possible problem

From your response and your pics, it is not a problem. The new thicker (and better) clear magnifies scratches. My pf has tons and will have many more after I'm done kicking the devil's ass again and again and again. Hahahaha! Bullseye!

#1970 1 year ago

I've been a Maiden fan for about 28 years. And more recently I'm a fan of Iron Maiden pinball. My only objection to my friendly neighborhood arcade machine is that the volume on their IM is too low. Maybe they're afraid of scaring the kids.

#1971 1 year ago
Quoted from Trond:

I've been a Maiden fan for about 28 years. And more recently I'm a fan of Iron Maiden pinball. My only objection to my friendly neighborhood arcade machine is that the volume on their IM is too low. Maybe they're afraid of scaring the kids.

Buy one, hook up a sub and let the neighbors call the cops!

#1972 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

If you bent your shooter rod you done messed up.

It needs to be centered both horizontally and vertically to work. After that is done you can adjust the lane guide on the right side of the shooter lane by the gate.

#1973 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If you bent your shooter rod you done messed up.
It needs to be centered both horizontally and vertically to work. After that is done you can adjust the lane guide on the right side of the shooter lane by the gate.

I'm not dumb enough to bend the shooter rod--I think Manual plunge was the first thing I centered--then the auto plunge took a dive. Bending the auto plunge prongs to get them centered on the ball was a minor help, but not a fix. And I've played with the lane guide and got it as good as it is gonna get without re-positioning the upper right flipper. I really think the problem is they did not account for the width of the flipper rubber, which hangs into the travel path of the ball. So, you have to hold the right guide in just enough for the ball to just clear the flipper rubber, which makes a tight shot that much tighter.

#1974 1 year ago

Anyone else notice on your pro or premium that the cabinet speaker is a 4ohm? The audio pinout page in the manual calls for a 8ohm. The backbox speakers are 8ohm and the specs call for 4ohm min, which is ok. But the 4ohm cab speaker could be putting extra strain on the amp if it calls for an 8ohm. I'm running .98, just got the machine last week, but plan on updating to 1.02 later today. I understand you can select speaker ohm in the new code. Does it allow for changing the cab and backbox speakers independently or is it both the same? I plan on replacing all the speakers anyway, but was just wondering if maybe this is contributing to some of the crackling noise that some people are experiencing.

#1975 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm not dumb enough to bend the shooter rod--I think Manual plunge was the first thing I centered--then the auto plunge took a dive. Bending the auto plunge prongs to get them centered on the ball was a minor help, but not a fix. And I've played with the lane guide and got it as good as it is gonna get without re-positioning the upper right flipper. I really think the problem is they did not account for the width of the flipper rubber, which hangs into the travel path of the ball. So, you have to hold the right guide in just enough for the ball to just clear the flipper rubber, which makes a tight shot that much tighter.

I’m still trying to figure this out. Lately I’ve noticed simply cleaning the pinballs and shooter lane and path impact the consistency positively. The temperature of the solenoid seems to make a difference as well. I’ll go for a while with it perfect, then it changes, I adjust one of the variables (autoplunger mech, upper rail of shooter lane, flipper, or cleaning) and it’s better for a while, then another round. I’m pretty confident this will be sorted out. It is an incredible game regardless, one of the best ever!

#1976 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I really think the problem is they did not account for the width of the flipper rubber, which hangs into the travel path of the ball.

Yeah, good thinking. I remember that upper right flipper getting in the way when I fiddled with adjusting mine.

#1977 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

I’m still trying to figure this out. Lately I’ve noticed simply cleaning the pinballs and shooter lane and path impact the consistency positively. The temperature of the solenoid seems to make a difference as well. I’ll go for a while with it perfect, then it changes, I adjust one of the variables (autoplunger mech, upper rail of shooter lane, flipper, or cleaning) and it’s better for a while, then another round. I’m pretty confident this will be sorted out. It is an incredible game regardless, one of the best ever!

David did not sound hopeful of a fix for the errant auto plunge. He pretty much said it is just how you described it--you can make it good for awhile, but it goes away. David added if they did figure something out they would post a service bulletin.

#1978 1 year ago

My new trim/legs/hinges is on! Thanks Mr. Robert Stone! It's a little lighter in person, the blue metallic came out killer.

20180801_165952 (resized).jpg20180801_182824 (resized).jpg20180801_182848 (resized).jpg20180801_183226 (resized).jpg20180801_183242 (resized).jpg20180801_183304 (resized).jpg20180801_183324 (resized).jpg20180801_183632 (resized).jpg20180801_183637 (resized).jpg
#1979 1 year ago

Looks great! I was going to go some kind of blue on my pro, wish prismatic still did free swatches!!

#1980 1 year ago

That is sick. Probably going to do something similar but with the button guards.

Very nice

#1981 1 year ago

I'm going to replace the Tmolding with Dark Blue

#1982 1 year ago

Upgrading to the ninja balls. Hiw many balls do I need to purchase?

#1983 1 year ago
Quoted from vansmack99:

Upgrading to the ninja balls. Hiw many balls do I need to purchase?

I just ordered 6.
I have a couple of knucklehead questions. First, where in the menu can I find what code I'm running? Second where in the menu can you find the option for 4 or 8 ohm speakers? I put in the Flipper Fidelity set and it ROCKS, but I want to make sure I've it set up correctly. Thanks!

#1984 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

I didn't use the Stern balls at all!! This was before I'd even played a ball. I swapped them out straight away and put in Pinball Life balls from memory

Oh wow. You mean it was like that outta the box?

#1985 1 year ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

I just ordered 6.
I have a couple of knucklehead questions. First, where in the menu can I find what code I'm running?

Not sure in the menu, but it tells you on the display when you first boot.

#1986 1 year ago

Joined today!!! Picked up my Premium.
What a blast! Best fun playing in a long time.
I obviously am not applying any gameplay strategy yet, and just bashing around and exploring.

It does, however have the feeling that it rewards quite well for just keeping the ball alive. Some machines you bash around for ages for no points, but second game ever I pulled 200m on the first ball, just staying alive. I know that’s not mega points, but it knocked all factory scores but GC off, and I don’t think I did anything too outrageously lucky. It just seems to give you a break if you have some ball skills.

And just as a data point..all worked perfectly out of the box. Not a single adjustment required.
EFE9FF11-A9AA-45D1-AB11-0FDB5F9BF929 (resized).jpeg

#1987 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Joined today!!! Picked up my Premium.
What a blast! Best fun playing in a long time.
I obviously am not applying any gameplay strategy yet, and just bashing around and exploring.
It does, however have the feeling that it rewards quite well for just keeping the ball alive. Some machines you bash around for ages for no points, but second game ever I pulled 200m on the first ball, just staying alive. I know that’s not mega points, but it knocked all factory scores but GC off, and I don’t think I did anything too outrageously lucky. It just seems to give you a break if you have some ball skills.
And just as a data point..all worked perfectly out of the box. Not a single adjustment required.
[quoted image]

Congratulations, today is the big day for me also. My premium is suppose to be here within the next 6 to 9 hours so im going to be like a kid peeking out the window looking for that truck here shortly lol. I got my fingers crossed that my game arrives with no issues like yours did!

#1988 1 year ago

I'm jealous of you guys

Oh well, I guess I'll be heading to my local IM at the arcade soon

#1989 1 year ago

Just drained 1 shot from 2 minutes to midnight. Sadness.

#1990 1 year ago

You played with Madness...and you lost!

#1991 1 year ago
Quoted from Trond:

I'm jealous of you guys
Oh well, I guess I'll be heading to my local IM at the arcade soon

If i had a local arcade near me and they had a IMDN, i wouldn't have bought one lol. I wish i had an arcade near me because it would save me tons of money!

#1992 1 year ago

Im in the club finally and this game kicks some serious ASS!! Holy shit is it fun! It came with a damaged box and scared the crap out of me but nothing was damaged thankfully. One opto that was unplugged (hmm wonder how that passed inspection?) And the captive ball switch on the left needed adjusted and one of the pop bumpers needed adjusted. All good now and ready to rock!

20180802_145844 (resized).jpg
#1993 1 year ago

Which opto ..... I have a wire on the left orbit that was not in the z connector. Was an easy fix but geeeees

#1994 1 year ago

Congratulations Terry! Minor stuff!!

#1995 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Which opto ..... I have a wire on the left orbit that was not in the z connector. Was an easy fix but geeeees

Mine was the opto on the right ramp. It was just unplugged lol. FLPinball told me about turning down the back box brightness to cut down on glare....the game is soooo much more enjoyable now that i can see the upper part of the playfield. One more question and im perfect i think. Which setting is it that i can make it so it shows the kieth Elwin animation more often? I cant seem to find that.

#1996 1 year ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Congratulations Terry! Minor stuff!!

Thanks Charlie...man i am loving this game lol. Holy crap they flat out killed it with this game!

#1997 1 year ago

Oh yeah one more interesting thing. My game came with the bally/Williams type corner brackets. Another friend of mine has a pro and his doesn’t have them, how about you guys, does your game have them?

20180802_161935 (resized).jpg
#1998 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh yeah one more interesting thing. My game came with the bally/Williams type corner brackets. Another friend of mine has a pro and his doesn’t have them, how about you guys, does your game have them?[quoted image]

My pro doesn't have them either

#1999 1 year ago

You got super lucky with that. They must have run out of the cheap ones when yours was on the line.

#2000 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im in the club finally and this game kicks some serious ASS!! Holy shit is it fun! It came with a damaged box and scared the crap out of me but nothing was damaged thankfully. One opto that was unplugged (hmm wonder how that passed inspection?) And the captive ball switch on the left needed adjusted and one of the pop bumpers needed adjusted. All good now and ready to rock![quoted image]

Congratulations!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 5704 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 115.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside