(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,800 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 minutes ago by Edster
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8416 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8418 (resized).jpeg
20240413_163843 (resized).jpg
20240413_143449 (resized).jpg
20240412_190431 (resized).jpg
20240412_190452 (resized).jpg
Polish_20240413_140952356 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 316.
#1751 5 years ago

Someday I will own one. Been a Maiden fan since age 12. I did get to photograph them a few times. Here's some pics from the last tour in the USA.
bruce (resized).jpgbruce (resized).jpg
im1 (resized).jpgim1 (resized).jpg
im3 (resized).jpgim3 (resized).jpg

More to be seen here. Any of my photos are available as a limited art print in a size and print medium of your desire. Contact me for info. I have a ton of hard rock and heavy metal artist photos on my albums folder on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1790763087900901.1073742080.100009016807719&type=1&l=d322aa322d

#1752 5 years ago

Is there anywhere a protector to get for this plastic?

9F3A93D6-F1CC-4AB8-A2B5-0F8B8F68CB32 (resized).jpeg9F3A93D6-F1CC-4AB8-A2B5-0F8B8F68CB32 (resized).jpegF5F2A719-F441-483C-9EBB-3DB7CFDFAB9E (resized).jpegF5F2A719-F441-483C-9EBB-3DB7CFDFAB9E (resized).jpeg

#1753 5 years ago

Any advice on completing modes? They are seriously tough, and I feel like because they are so tough I tend to ignore them when trying to score well. So maybe they are too tough.

I feel like I’m making progress in my strategy and scoring. Breaking 300M and finally getting one taste of Cyber MB. But I feel pretty DOA on the modes because of difficulty.

Short timers, hard shots and lots of them.

I can increase the timer I guess. A little bummed that modes are secondary for me.

Pretty much I go for trooper and mummy asap. Focusing on the center safer part of the field. I go for loop jackpots. Especially during ball save since a miss can get the ball going sideways. Also during ball save I go to lite revive ASAP.

But I love modes. In my DILE I can complete any of the modes. In IMDN they seem 10x harder.

Advice? Yah I’m a novice. So there is the fact I suck.

#1754 5 years ago

One trick I found is to save the Mummy multiball until you start one of the modes - that way you have some protection if you miss a shot and drain a ball.

Hopefully others have better tips because I'm far from good myself lol

#1755 5 years ago

Holy Smoke,

Just got my IM Pro in UK.
Delivered safely from USA..........i'm so addicted, my 1st pin for my games room.
My Mrs can't stop playing it either and she hates all boys toys......what does this mean

Been a Maiden fan over the years......had a choice of Pro, Premium and even an LE.......but couldn't resist the original Maiden artwork - Trooper + Killers. Just love the cab artwork, really pops.

#1756 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

One trick I found is to save the Mummy multiball until you start one of the modes - that way you have some protection if you miss a shot and drain a ball.
Hopefully others have better tips because I'm far from good myself lol

That helps for one mode. However I find it hard with multipballs to hit loop shots. Both in moving focus from the bottom flippers. Or if you trap up on the left it can block needed shots with the upper left flipper.

#1757 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

That helps for one mode. However I find it hard with multipballs to hit loop shots. Both in moving focus from the bottom flippers. Or if you trap up on the left it can block needed shots with the upper left flipper.

The flippers are staged - pressing the button in halfway will only activate the bottom flipper. Easier said than done during multiball though.

#1758 5 years ago

Funny you mention the Mrs.... My wife maybe played 5 games total on my previous 4 Sterns and now she can't get enough of this one. Constantly playing it and getting better also.

#1759 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Any advice on completing modes? They are seriously tough, and I feel like because they are so tough I tend to ignore them when trying to score well. So maybe they are too tough.

I feel like I’m making progress in my strategy and scoring. Breaking 300M and finally getting one taste of Cyber MB. But I feel pretty DOA on the modes because of difficulty.

You really need to learn to hit the ramps. If you can comfortably hit both both ramps, the spinner and the bullseye you can mostly all the modes. Well you need the drops and captive ball as well, but that is it.

#1760 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

You really need to learn to hit the ramps. If you can comfortably hit both both ramps, the spinner and the bullseye you can mostly all the modes. Well you need the drops and captive ball as well, but that is it.

Umm...that's almost everything worth hitting

#1761 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

And the orbits (left and right). And the super jackpot target hit from the left flipper. Then you have got it!

#1762 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I can increase the timer I guess. A little bummed that modes are secondary for me.
Pretty much I go for trooper and mummy asap. Focusing on the center safer part of the field. I go for loop jackpots. Especially during ball save since a miss can get the ball going sideways. Also during ball save I go to lite revive ASAP.
But I love modes. In my DILE I can complete any of the modes. In IMDN they seem 10x harder.

My suggestion would be to spend a few hours and not focus on playing the game, just work on learning the shots and hitting them with consistency. Start a game, and start with the shot you have the hardest time with. Shoot nothing but that shot, and continue doing this until you are hitting it at a percentage that is acceptable. Don't look at the path of the ball, look at where the ball is on the flipper when the shot is made, kind of like a golf shot, keep your eyes on the ball. When you start hitting the shot with accuracy move on to the next shot. Practice isn't exactly the most fun thing to do on a pinball machine, but it will make you a better player.

I play my Iron Maiden with the original factory settings (except I have the replay set to 300M instead of 150M), and the tilt is pretty tight. I like a challenge, and it helps when I go play on location to have a game that is set up similar to the games on route.

#1763 5 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

The flippers are staged - pressing the button in halfway will only activate the bottom flipper. Easier said than done during multiball though.

Ah yes. Staging is broken on my new premium. I need to re-gap the flippers to get them working. Thanks for the reminder.

#1764 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Ah yes. Staging is broken on my new premium. I need to re-gap the flippers to get them working. Thanks for the reminder.

Many IMDNs I have seen (Pro and Premium) have had issues with the flipper switches out of the box that caused staging to not work properly. Easy gap adjustment but I don't think they are testing for this in the factory.

#1765 5 years ago

MOONCHILD!
Hear the mandrake scream!

#1766 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Quoted from beergut666:

My suggestion would be to spend a few hours and not focus on playing the game, just work on learning the shots and hitting them with consistency. Start a game, and start with the shot you have the hardest time with. Shoot nothing but that shot, and continue doing this until you are hitting it at a percentage that is acceptable. Don't look at the path of the ball, look at where the ball is on the flipper when the shot is made, kind of like a golf shot, keep your eyes on the ball. When you start hitting the shot with accuracy move on to the next shot. Practice isn't exactly the most fun thing to do on a pinball machine, but it will make you a better player.
I play my Iron Maiden with the original factory settings (except I have the replay set to 300M instead of 150M), and the tilt is pretty tight. I like a challenge, and it helps when I go play on location to have a game that is set up similar to the games on route.

Yah - so basically be a better player.

The ramps on Iron maiden take a lot of precision compared to my DI, Star Trek. And it's pretty surprising how far down the flipper they are. I watch streams of top players, and even they brick ramp shots a lot, and mostly don't complete the modes.

Ah well - it's why it has a lot of staying power in the home. The shots themselves are riding that line of rewarding frustrating. But I really think they are perfect difficulty.

The orbits I find easy, both right and the inner orbit. The orb shot is DANGEROUS. Also the small upper left flipper can send many balls SDTM.

In terms of practice, I make sure I tilt almost every game. My ability to nudge balls out of the outer lanes has improved a lot.

Good times.

#1767 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Any advice on completing modes?

PLAY BETTER!

#1768 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Check the feature adjustments. There's all sorts of settings you can play with to make the game and modes easier.

#1769 5 years ago

I having issues with the super skill shot. I'v done it a few times but it never gives me the reward. I looked and see theres an opto in the loop, which is working, and the super jackpot target, which is also working. Is there anything else to look at? It's hard to test, but I'm plunging just enough so it comes back to the left upper flipper, then hitting the super jackpot shot. I'm sure I didn't hit the x target next to the super jackpot shot. Not sure why it's not registering.

#1770 5 years ago

Do you feel a high score game that ball got stuck durning a multi ball should be with an asterisk ?? Just had my highest game to date but felt I had advantage having ball stuck while I played out the multi ball.

IMG_20180712_214356 (resized).jpgIMG_20180712_214356 (resized).jpg
#1771 5 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I having issues with the super skill shot. I'v done it a few times but it never gives me the reward. I looked and see theres an opto in the loop, which is working, and the super jackpot target, which is also working. Is there anything else to look at? It's hard to test, but I'm plunging just enough so it comes back to the left upper flipper, then hitting the super jackpot shot. I'm sure I didn't hit the x target next to the super jackpot shot. Not sure why it's not registering.

Are you holding the left flipper up while plunging?

#1772 5 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I was having this problem due to the switch at the back of the shooter lane not registering the ball being on/off it (which also resulted in inconsistent autoplunges, and not always selecting a song when the ball left the shooter lane)

Make sure you test the switch with a ball too. I was testing it by pressing it with a pencil which always worked, but when testing with a ball it wasn’t consistently registering.

#1773 5 years ago

Finally pried myself away from Star Wars to get the latest IMDN update in. This game is still pretty freakin bad ass. Never have I ever been so excited to increase my bonus x hahahaha. The call outs in this game are just sick.

#1774 5 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

You have to hit the super skill shot in a certain amount of time. If the ball hangs up for just a second to come down to the top flipper for the super skill shot, it will not give credit as the timer expires. Could that be it?

#1775 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Are you holding the left flipper up while plunging?

No

Quoted from skink91:

I was having this problem due to the switch at the back of the shooter lane not registering the ball being on/off it (which also resulted in inconsistent autoplunges, and not always selecting a song when the ball left the shooter lane)
Make sure you test the switch with a ball too. I was testing it by pressing it with a pencil which always worked, but when testing with a ball it wasn’t consistently registering.

Ok, I'll check that out.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

You have to hit the super skill shot in a certain amount of time. If the ball hangs up for just a second to come down to the top flipper for the super skill shot, it will not give credit as the timer expires. Could that be it?

That might be it, as in my tests it takes a good amount of time. Thanks Steve!

#1776 5 years ago
Quoted from GrueLurks:

Someday I will own one. Been a Maiden fan since age 12. I did get to photograph them a few times. Here's some pics from the last tour in the USA.

More to be seen here. Any of my photos are available as a limited art print in a size and print medium of your desire. Contact me for info. I have a ton of hard rock and heavy metal artist photos on my albums folder on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1790763087900901.1073742080.100009016807719&type=1&l=d322aa322d

Sweet photos mate!

#1777 5 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

No

Ok, I'll check that out.

That might be it, as in my tests it takes a good amount of time. Thanks Steve!

The super skill shot is only available if you hold the left flipper up before plunging. So, before you plunge, hold up the left flipper and you should see the insert light up.

#1778 5 years ago
Quoted from Greg2608:

Do you feel a high score game that ball got stuck durning a multi ball should be with an asterisk ?? Just had my highest game to date but felt I had advantage having ball stuck while I played out the multi ball.

Nice score--take whatever you can get and love it, 'cause it will take away a lot more than it is gonna give!

#1779 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

The super skill shot is only available if you hold the left flipper up before plunging. So, before you plunge, hold up the left flipper and you should see the insert light up.

That's right, you have to tell the game you're going for the shot. My bad. Thanks djreddog.

#1780 5 years ago

Finally got over 300 million!!! It's been a long journey. Now my goal is to get cyborg multiball more frequently and also the other modes. I have unlocked cyborg multiball I think 3 times since my last post... But, I have yet to activate it again. My freaking ball always drains right before I can shoot the blasted underworld ramp.
And I only gotten can I play with madness mode one time... And didn't complete it. Drained during first part of it... I might make a few things easier for my game... But, I am probably going to change the outlane posts before I tweak any other game changes.
However, I might add another replay reward.
Currently I have an extra ball reward set for 108 million and then 250 million. I'm thinking about adding a third one for 375 million. Now, I never have gotten 375 million. My best game so far is 372. But, I figure its something to shoot for, and a nice reward once you reach it.
And yes... I'm not a very good pinball player. I'm above average, but hey this is just a fun hobby. So please no trash talking my score or skills.

#1781 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Nice score--take whatever you can get and love it, 'cause it will take away a lot more than it is gonna give!

And no I don't view that as cheating. That's part of the luck/skill of pinball. I personally love that when it happens. And sometimes if I know a game has a tendency to have balls get stuck at certain places, I try to get them stuck. It's all fair game I say. Just like when you hit a freaking target and it doesn't register. Just part of the luck of pinball. You take the good and you take the bad, and the machines take your quarters... Or for home owners, your whole checking or savings account.

#1782 5 years ago

Today started off kinda sucky. AC on my house quit on what is supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far. Luckily it was an easy fix at least just needing to replace a cap on the fan. Once I got that done, I got the call that my Iron Maiden was ready to pick up! So turned out to be a pretty good day Knock on wood everything looks and plays good. Captive balls seem to be functioning as intended and the plunge has be perfect. Fun game

image_from_ios (resized).jpgimage_from_ios (resized).jpg
#1783 5 years ago

oops double post

#1784 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Finally got over 300 million!!! It's been a long journey. Now my goal is to get cyborg multiball more frequently and also the other modes. I have unlocked cyborg multiball I think 3 times since my last post... But, I have yet to activate it again. My freaking ball always drains right before I can shoot the blasted underworld ramp.
And I only gotten can I play with madness mode one time... And didn't complete it. Drained during first part of it... I might make a few things easier for my game... But, I am probably going to change the outlane posts before I tweak any other game changes.
However, I might add another replay reward.
Currently I have an extra ball reward set for 108 million and then 250 million. I'm thinking about adding a third one for 375 million. Now, I never have gotten 375 million. My best game so far is 372. But, I figure its something to shoot for, and a nice reward once you reach it.
And yes... I'm not a very good pinball player. I'm above average, but hey this is just a fun hobby. So please no trash talking my score or skills.

Nice!

Yah I'm probably going to move the outlane posts as well to make the game a bit easier. I usually play with my 10 year old daughter and she gets so disappointed with the "cheap" drains. No so cheap as often you can aggressively nudge them out, and avoid shots that get you there. But so far I can't get her to nudge.

#1785 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I have 2 sheets of PDI. Some people think it's a waste but next to a machine w regular glass it's freakin amazing. For a grail game it's absolutely worth it. Problem is, then you want it on ALL yer machines.
Honestly, I'm having a hard time telling any difference between the PDI and the Stern. PDI might be slightly clearer, but not by much.
Also, the PDI is what lands me hot redheads, so I've got that goin for me.

So you have to order two sheets of glass to get one redhead ? Or is it one redhead per each sheet ordered? It has to be PDI to get redheads ? Do you just get Brunettes and Blondes with Stern glass ? Or if I order Stern's glass can I upgrade to redhead if that isn't standard.

Nobody tell my wife if I order the glass.

#1786 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

So you have to order two sheets of glass to get one redhead ? Or is it one redhead per each sheet ordered? It has to be PDI to get redheads ? Do you just get Brunettes and Blondes with Stern glass ? Or if I order Stern's glass can I upgrade to redhead if that isn't standard.
Nobody tell my wife if I order the glass.

You also have to have an LE to get the redheads!

#1787 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You also have an LE to get the redheads!

Damn - I'll probably only get dish water blondes then.

#1788 5 years ago

Stern states in the flyer that Iron Maiden includes a line out on the CPU for external amplification. So, does that mean I wouldn't need the Pinnovators Sub adapter kit to connect my Polk PSW10? If so, would I just need a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

#1789 5 years ago

I used the sub kit to attach the external sub to mine

#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I used the sub kit to attach the external sub to mine

But do you have to? For example, does the line out from the CPU cut off the game's sound when used?

#1791 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

But do you have to? For example, does the line out from the CPU cut off the game's sound when used?

Curious about this as well

#1792 5 years ago

I ended up using the pinovators board as well. I looked and didn’t see an output on the board.. is this a new feature for maiden?

#1793 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I ended up using the pinovators board as well. I looked and didn’t see an output on the board.. is this a new feature for maiden?

Yes. According to Iron Maiden’s flyer there should be a line out for external amplification. I would imagine it’s just a 3.5mm aux jack. If it is, I just want to know if it cuts out all the sound from the cabinet speakers when used. Like when you use one in your car.

I wouldn’t think so because most people would use it to add a sub and not an entire amplified stereo.

I looked through the manual and didn’t see anything referencing it but the flyer said it’s on the CPU.

#1794 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Yes. According to Iron Maiden’s flyer there should be a line out for external amplification. I would imagine it’s just a 3.5mm aux jack. If it is, I just want to know if it cuts out all the sound from the cabinet speakers when used. Like when you use one in your car.
I wouldn’t think so because most people would use it to add a sub and not an entire amplified stereo.
I looked through the manual and didn’t see anything referencing it but the flyer said it’s on the CPU.

Nope. The “line out” is not a 3.5 jack on Spike 2. It’s a pinout on the board.

Two options:

Pinovators sub out board. This creates at 3.5 jack to go to a subwoofer. $40 I think.

Stern Spike 2 headphone kit. This gives you external volume control for speakers and / or headphones including a 3.5mm jack and knob at the coin door. Adjustable in settings what the knob controls (headphones, speakers or both) I have this and it works very well. $99. I think this may be on backorder

#1795 5 years ago

Going to install a cliffy for the shooter lane but, how should I remove this post? Nothing on the underside. I'm afraid of damaging the clear.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1796 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Going to install a cliffy for the shooter lane but, how should I remove this post? Nothing on the underside. I'm afraid of damaging the clear.

Not sure which Cliffy you purchased? I worked with Cliff at the Golden State Pinball Festival and purchased the one that fits Aerosmith. When I got home I had to alter it because of the post under the metal side round screws. I didn't need to remove the post because the Cliffy fit around it. I plan to buy the REAL IM Cliffy for the shooter lane when he starts making it.

But to remove the post is no bid deal. It takes a LONG time using an combo wrench. The best way is with a nutdriver but typically the head of the post wont fit down the open shaft of the nut driver. Take your time and unscrew is with the hex at the bottom. It's a screw in post.

#1797 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Not sure which Cliffy you purchased? I worked with Cliff at the Golden State Pinball Festival and purchased the one that fits Aerosmith. When I got home I had to alter it because of the post under the metal side round screws. I didn't need to remove the post because the Cliffy fit around it. I plan to buy the REAL IM Cliffy for the shooter lane when he starts making it.
But to remove the post is no bid deal. It takes a LONG time using an combo wrench. The best way is with a nutdriver but typically the head of the post wont fit down the open shaft of the nut driver. Take your time and unscrew is with the hex at the bottom. It's a screw in post.

Ummm dude... I did get the REAL IM cliffy. It's on his site now!

#1798 5 years ago

Iron maiden is awesome. I was playing a four player game in my league at mission control Santa Ana and was player four on ball three in last place.

I put aces high on my headphones so I could hear it.

When the song ended I held the ball and turned around and smiled. Time for a new song.

First place finish. Iron maiden is a very good game I like it.

Powerslave is my favorite maiden album.

#1799 5 years ago

What difficulty is everyone playing on Eddie letters? I play normal (factory is extra easy). It gets so that your last three modes you have to hit just ramps to spell it with no letters spotted after the first round. Is this what everyone else is doing, too? Finishing the modes seems impossible!

#1800 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

What difficulty is everyone playing on Eddie letters? I play normal (factory is extra easy). It gets so that your last three modes you have to hit just ramps to spell it with no letters spotted after the first round. Is this what everyone else is doing, too? Finishing the modes seems impossible!

It makes it easier playing on normal?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 15,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 316.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/36?hl=sako-trg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.