(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16,035 posts
  • 1,053 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 501 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5466 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5467 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20201008_092349 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201008_140931 (resized).jpg
20240519_160739 (resized).jpg
20240519_155713 (resized).jpg
20240519_155548 (resized).jpg
20240519_155529 (resized).jpg
20240519_151839 (resized).jpg
20240519_144646 (resized).jpg
20240519_144621 (resized).jpg
20240519_135809 (resized).jpg
20240519_135800 (resized).jpg
20240519_135752 (resized).jpg
20240519_132751 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 316 of 321.
#15751 43 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So there is a local Maiden pro, seeing if I can get it at a real cheap deal. My concern is that it's an older model and on the cabinet outside all around, the bolts are rusted. This has me worried. The playfield looks fine and don't see any rust or damage on any of the inside metal, but still weirded out on why the outside cab is covered in rusted bolts. The black round bolt studs like on the side, the hinge bolts.... it's odd and waiting to find out more details. Wondering if all those bolts can be replaced somehow? I would only go for it if it's a crazy cheap deal

Bolts are really cheap. the real question is what causes bolts to rust in less than 6 years? If they are attached to the pinball machine, everything in the machine was subjected to the same conditions. Unless the seller can give you a very convincing argument I'd steer clear of that one. Not worth the 500 bucks or whatever you'd save.

#15752 43 days ago

So there is a local Maiden pro, seeing if I can get it at a real cheap deal. My concern is that it's an older model and on the cabinet outside all around, the bolts are rusted. This has me worried. The playfield looks fine and don't see any rust or damage on any of the inside metal, but still weirded out on why the outside cab is covered in rusted bolts. The black round bolt studs like on the side, the hinge bolts.... it's odd and waiting to find out more details. Wondering if all those bolts can be replaced somehow? I would only go for it if it's a crazy cheap deal

If you’re talking about the bolts around the coin door…I’ve seen rust on games straight out of the box.

#15753 43 days ago

Finally got to the beast last night after owning the game for a few years (tournament mode, xballs off, semi-tight tilt). That was quite a thrill but after seeing how far away I still was from Run to the Hills I don't think there's any way I'd ever get there even turning extra balls on.

#15754 43 days ago

I take it its located seaside?

#15755 43 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

I take it its located seaside?

I don't know, waiting to find out more. Or maybe it was on a patio or in a garage perhaps.

Quoted from AssaultSuit:

If you’re talking about the bolts around the coin door…I’ve seen rust on games straight out of the box.

Yea the bolts around the coin door are rusted, my NIB Elivra has a little rust around the bolts too but not to same extent. But all the screws in the armor rails are rusted, the hinge bolts on the back box, the ones on the sides of the cabinet, like the round black bolts right in the middle of the side decals are even rusted.

It's iffy, I was wanting more info and to see if its a very very deep discount in case I gotta do some clean up myself.

#15756 43 days ago

maybe it was on a patio

Oh dear god...

#15757 42 days ago

Hey guys, looking for some input on my new set of score cards. I just tried these out on my friend's (tricked out) Maiden last night. Not the best pics, but you get the idea. I'm just doing some clean up on these and will have them up on marketplace by the end of the week. As you can see, I wrote all new instructions for the cards in hopes that they are more helpful then the ones that are shipped at release.

This is the 'intro' set (for casual or new players):
Polish_20240413_140952356 (resized).jpgPolish_20240413_140952356 (resized).jpg
Close ups: (sorry, the glare is a bit bad at my friend's place).
20240413_143449 (resized).jpg20240413_143449 (resized).jpg
20240412_190452 (resized).jpg20240412_190452 (resized).jpg
I was hoping to reduce the wording even further on the left card, maybe remove a section or 2, but I can't decide on what to get rid of. It's funny, I usually find it easier on games but on Maiden I felt the intro side needed more info. No one I've shown these too yet have mentioned it though, so maybe it's fine. I mean they are use to seeing a lot of info on my cards too...

Speaking of (lots of info)... This is the left side card of the advanced set. I've tried to get as much progression of modes info on this set (and add-a-balls, list of tomb treasures, etc.). I missed printing the advanced side right card unfortunately, I'll add a digital version pic here from my PC later. But here's the left card:
20240412_190431 (resized).jpg20240412_190431 (resized).jpg
I'll add the advanced right side later. Both sets will come as one, FYI, as I like to print these double sided so that you can flip back and forth as needed.

Edit:
Here's the advanced right side card (...still in working format):
20240413_163843 (resized).jpg20240413_163843 (resized).jpg

#15758 42 days ago

Wondering if all those bolts can be replaced somehow?

Cabinet bolts are easy to replace and even easier to buff off the rust/oxidation and hit them with some black touchup paint without removing them.

#15759 42 days ago
Quoted from JorgesArcade:

Looks good!! Rocket City mod??/

Quoted from JorgesArcade:

Always are. Going to try and make my own but will use his if i cant.

Thanks for the love! Here's the link to the button. Also making copper dummy buttons for the premium to help blend in better. Trying to expand the dummy button line for more games, just need more time!

https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1282-rocket-city-pinball/09237-3d-start-button-iron-maiden-pharaoh-version
https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1282-rocket-city-pinball/09236-dummy-button-replacement-iron-maiden-premium

#15760 41 days ago

Looks great!

One correction that I see - in your SUMMON EDDIE section, it's not the pops that change the mode, it's the lower left spinner.

Quoted from System-J:

Hey guys, looking for some input on my new set of score cards. I just tried these out on my friend's (tricked out) Maiden last night. Not the best pics, but you get the idea. I'm just doing some clean up on these and will have them up on marketplace by the end of the week. As you can see, I wrote all new instructions for the cards in hopes that they are more helpful then the ones that are shipped at release.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I was hoping to reduce the wording even further on the left card, maybe remove a section or 2, but I can't decide on what to get rid of. It's funny, I usually find it easier on games but on Maiden I felt the intro side needed more info. No one I've shown these too yet have mentioned it though, so maybe it's fine. I mean they are use to seeing a lot of info on my cards too...
Speaking of (lots of info)... This is the left side card of the advanced set. I've tried to get as much progression of modes info on this set (and add-a-balls, list of tomb treasures, etc.). I missed printing the advanced side right card unfortunately, I'll add a digital version pic here from my PC later. But here's the left card:
[quoted image]
I'll add the advanced right side later. Both sets will come as one, FYI, as I like to print these double sided so that you can flip back and forth as needed.
Edit:
[quoted image]

#15761 41 days ago
Quoted from System-J:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Edit:
[quoted image]

Count me in from Reno!!!!

They look good and i like the advanced copies.

#15762 41 days ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Thanks for the love! Here's the link to the button. Also making copper dummy buttons for the premium to help blend in better. Trying to expand the dummy button line for more games, just need more time!
https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1282-rocket-city-pinball/09237-3d-start-button-iron-maiden-pharaoh-version
https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1282-rocket-city-pinball/09236-dummy-button-replacement-iron-maiden-premium

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

You make good stuff!!

#15763 41 days ago

Assuming you'll be making XLs....I'll be in for a set of those.

#15764 41 days ago

lol yea.

I will learn more next week, playfield metal looked all solid at least. The outside bolts to rust easy it seems, noticed my Foo fighters has some rust on the cabinet bolts in a few spots and it's been an indoor pin the whole time, as well as some on my nib elvira.

I think an issue is especially down here in FL is the humidity and if the pin is stored in any type of warehouse, those bolts might be not coated for anti rust?

#15765 41 days ago
Quoted from 11strings:

Looks great!
One correction that I see - in your SUMMON EDDIE section, it's not the pops that change the mode, it's the lower left spinner.

Oh right, much appreciated. Great eye!

Quoted from Rampmaster:

Assuming you'll be making XLs....I'll be in for a set of those.

Not right away, but noted. I'll pm later with some questions.

#15766 41 days ago

Back in the club this weekend. It's been a few years since i sold my game.

All set up and happy to have it back in the collection. One question, has there been any advancement on the Newton ball? I always had an issue and seems mine now has the same. So hard to adjust to make sure it always triggers the switch. It took a lot of tweaking. The metal pin that makes contact with the oval plastic seems like it loosens and then it doesn't trigger the switch. It's working now but I imagine it will stop at some point and need to be adjusted again.

#15767 40 days ago
Quoted from Edster:

All set up and happy to have it back in the collection. One question, has there been any advancement on the Newton ball? I always had an issue and seems mine now has the same. So hard to adjust to make sure it always triggers the switch. It took a lot of tweaking. The metal pin that makes contact with the oval plastic seems like it loosens and then it doesn't trigger the switch. It's working now but I imagine it will stop at some point and need to be adjusted again.

I am of the belief that the temp and weather changes cause this type of switch to expand and contract way more than others. 12 machines and these are the only 2 I cant get perfect...Bullshit.

#15768 39 days ago
Quoted from Oneironaut:

I am of the belief that the temp and weather changes cause this type of switch to expand and contract way more than others. 12 machines and these are the only 2 I cant get perfect...Bullshit.

Where are you keeping your games where temperatures and weather are a factor?
Personally, I keep mine in my climate controlled home.

#15769 39 days ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Where are you keeping your games where temperatures and weather are a factor?
Personally, I keep mine in my climate controlled home.

My living room. That's just it, mlcro changes in temp or humidity seem to do it. I'm sure your climate control isn't 72 and 50% humidity all year long. Where you live, the equator?

#15770 39 days ago
Quoted from Edster:

I have a pin from the last run of premiums and the mechanism certainly hasn't improved at all since the first run 5 years prior. I have tried all kinds of stuff, after reading everyones experience (searching "newton" here and on an older imdn "issues" thread

I recently was trying to dial it in again without much luck and asked, and this guy had some advice I will try ( the washer not the spring)

Quoted from tgarrett09:

This whole mech is just badly designed sadly. I can get it to stop getting stuck by not tightening the plate that pushes the spring down all the way. I added a washer there as a spacer. The ripple effect is now you are messing with the stupid spoon switch and dialing it in again.
I once saw someone replace that spoon switch with a spring. The pole from the newton ball sits in the middle of the spring opening and when it touches the spring closes the switch. The spring itself allows for any velocity hit to work and return to center. Always wanted to give that a try.

But even if it's not sticking, getting the clairvoyant to trigger well when hitting the ball, but NOT trigger when hitting the pops... jesus it's a razor thin adjustment. I hope the design team feels at least a bit of shame on this one for shipping with not one, but two of these mechs in this pin... for 5 years.

#15771 39 days ago
Quoted from System-J:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Edit:
[quoted image]

Look great, count me in.

#15772 39 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I have a pin from the last run of premiums and the mechanism certainly hasn't improved at all since the first run 5 years prior. I have tried all kinds of stuff, after reading everyones experience (searching "newton" here and on an older imdn "issues" thread
I recently was trying to dial it in again without much luck and asked, and this guy had some advice I will try ( the washer not the spring)

But even if it's not sticking, getting the clairvoyant to trigger well when hitting the ball, but NOT trigger when hitting the pops... jesus it's a razor thin adjustment. I hope the design team feels at least a bit of shame on this one for shipping with not one, but two of these mechs in this pin... for 5 years.

Someone has to be able to engineer something better.

There are so e brilliant minds on this forum, and lots of incentive seeing that most owners would probably throw money at any solution that improves this well documented issue.

I've dialed my Mummy one in decently, but the other one gives me so much trouble.

Come on, let's get a fix going!

#15773 39 days ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Someone has to be able to engineer something better.
There are so e brilliant minds on this forum, and lots of incentive seeing that most owners would probably throw money at any solution that improves this well documented issue.
I've dialed my Mummy one in decently, but the other one gives me so much trouble.
Come on, let's get a fix going!

I work a lot with pneumatics at work, I used what I call a “reverse crimp” method. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and crimped the top leaf like this on both keeping the crimped leaf straight in line with the other. In almost 4 years of owning this game, I had the top one act up one time but I think it was more the spoon wearing than anything else. That one time I ordered a new one and have never had any issues outside that. I’ll take a picture of my game for spacing and post, but will be getting home late today so will as soon as can.

IMG_8416 (resized).jpegIMG_8416 (resized).jpegIMG_8418 (resized).jpegIMG_8418 (resized).jpeg
#15774 39 days ago

I added a Polk exterior sub and am really stoked with it now sounding like I’m playing in a tomb. I had used the Stern LE speakers and sub from Foo which has a Pinwoofer set. Now to get crazy and and Pinwoofer to IMDN with the exterior sub.

#15775 39 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I work a lot with pneumatics at work, I used what I call a “reverse crimp” method. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and crimped the top leaf like this on both keeping the crimped leaf straight in line with the other. In almost 4 years of owning this game, I had the top one act up one time but I think it was more the spoon wearing than anything else. That one time I ordered a new one and have never had any issues outside that. I’ll take a picture of my game for spacing and post, but will be getting home late today so will as soon as can.
[quoted image][quoted image]

would be really cool to see a picture Kevin. willing to try anything to get it sorted out.

#15776 39 days ago

Is the Chum bucket on Jaws the same Newton ball as IMDN?

#15777 39 days ago
Quoted from 11strings:

Is the Chum bucket on Jaws the same Newton ball as IMDN?

No, the Chum Bucket is a standard newton ball (fixed ball with a standard pinball behind it). I don't think you'll see the IMDN-style newton balls used on any new designs. I believe Stern is fully aware how bad that design is. Even if you address the spoon switch issue, those newton balls just won't last as long as the standard ones. The insert (that goes in the playfield) that holds the ball gets beat up, and eventually will need to be replaced.

#15778 39 days ago

You guys shouldn't keep referring to captive balls as Newton balls. Totally different.

#15779 39 days ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

You guys shouldn't keep referring to captive balls as Newton balls. Totally different.

Thanks, Dad

#15780 39 days ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Alas, that's what it is called on this pinball machine.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#15781 39 days ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Whether you like it or not, Stern refers to both assemblies as "Newton balls".
Also, I don't see where anyone referred to a captive ball as a newton ball....

#15782 39 days ago

Call what you want, it's just confusing.
Stern calls the captive ball on Godzilla a captive ball, at least they do in their game instructions. It's not a Newton magnet.

#15783 39 days ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Call what you want, it's just confusing.
Stern calls the captive ball on Godzilla a captive ball, at least they do in their game instructions. It's not a Newton magnet.

That's a completely different mechanism. in that example, and typical, captive ball is a ball which moves to hit a switch(or something) after you hit another thing (conservation of momentum/energy, like newton's cradle). Sometimes the thing in the middle is a stationary pinball, sometimes not(GZ bridge magnet).

To be even more confusing, IMDN does have a traditional example in the sarcophagus ball lock, where the locked ball becomes a captive ball which is moved by the "newton ball assembly" in front of it. In that case, the "Newton ball assembly" is demonstrating conservation of momentum/energy to free the captive ball, in addition to the primary function of triggering the spoon switch.

But the clairvoyant mech, it's just a switch. still called "newton ball assembly"... my hands are tied.

#15784 39 days ago

They’re all newton balls. Sometimes involving just two balls (the one in play and the captive), or sometimes three (the captive hits another ball). In all cases, energy is being transferred from the ball in play to another ball or doohickey (steel cylinder in case of Godzilla).

#15785 39 days ago

Anybody who has been looking to join the club in the Southern California area, I listed mine: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/175504

#15786 39 days ago
Quoted from jackd104:

They’re all newton balls. Sometimes involving just two balls (the one in play and the captive), or sometimes three (the captive hits another ball). In all cases, energy is being transferred from the ball in play to another ball or doohickey (steel cylinder in case of Godzilla).

What about clairvoyant? Energy not transfered to third object.

#15787 39 days ago

I did look up the parts diagram on Godzilla, and damned if they don't call the bridge magnet a newton magnet, and likewise for the "captive ball" on Maiden.
But it does say right on Maiden, shoot the captive ball to collect mummy letters.
I guess I'm too old school. It'll always be a captive ball to me.

#15788 39 days ago

Not to interrupt all this hot Ball talk…..

I just picked up this set of protectors from Silverball Designs here on the Pinside Shop. Really love the blue. Been trying to play off the blue/orange/yellow, but the Orange protectors really washed out the artwork. Also love the yellow that really makes the pop bumpers glow.

Anyways that being said, if someone prefers the orange wants this set, send me a PM, PayPal me the postage and I’ll mail them to you.

IMG_5676 (resized).jpegIMG_5676 (resized).jpegIMG_5677 (resized).jpegIMG_5677 (resized).jpegIMG_5678 (resized).jpegIMG_5678 (resized).jpegIMG_5679 (resized).jpegIMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
#15789 39 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

That's awesome. I'll give it a try. Certainly worth a shot. I see that the leaf switch is very sensitive and if not adjusted right the pieces are in constant contact and never trigger the switch. My issue is with the Mummy ball missing hits. Now I remember why the LE drove me nuts years ago. I can't believe they never sorted this out. It's the stupidest set up. That plastic spoon can break so easily too.

#15790 38 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Not to interrupt all this hot Ball talk…..
I just picked up this set of protectors from Silverball Designs here on the Pinside Shop. Really love the blue. Been trying to play off the blue/orange/yellow, but the Orange protectors really washed out the artwork. Also love the yellow that really makes the pop bumpers glow.
Anyways that being said, if someone prefers the orange wants this set, send me a PM, PayPal me the postage and I’ll mail them to you.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have the orange on mine and like the eerie glows they give off. But those blue ones are nice too. Gives a nice pop.

#15791 38 days ago

Ice blue with yellow pop caps all day!

#15792 38 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

would be really cool to see a picture Kevin. willing to try anything to get it sorted out.

I’ll post it tonight

#15793 38 days ago
Quoted from Edster:

That's awesome. I'll give it a try. Certainly worth a shot. I see that the leaf switch is very sensitive and if not adjusted right the pieces are in constant contact and never trigger the switch. My issue is with the Mummy ball missing hits. Now I remember why the LE drove me nuts years ago. I can't believe they never sorted this out. It's the stupidest set up. That plastic spoon can break so easily too.

I’m confident anyone with issues will be happy with this fix. Yeah the spoon gets flimsy over time. That needs replacing Pinball Life seemed to have a little stiffer spoons.

#15794 38 days ago
Quoted from Rampmaster:

I have the orange on mine and like the eerie glows they give off. But those blue ones are nice too. Gives a nice pop.

Yeah I really really like the orange glow, just preferred the art on the blue ones.

#15795 38 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I work a lot with pneumatics at work, I used what I call a “reverse crimp” method. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and crimped the top leaf like this on both keeping the crimped leaf straight in line with the other.

I might have done a similar, tried to get a good enough pic:

IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpgIMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
#15796 38 days ago
Quoted from STVPIN:

I might have done a similar, tried to get a good enough pic: [quoted image]

I make sure to crimp them nice and stiff. I’ve been doing this with T stats for decades and have never had an issue in almost 4 years with Imdn. That one time it was giving me fits it ended up being a floppy spoon. I wish they made these out of harder plastic they would hold up much better over all. Let me know if this helps.

IMG_8443 (resized).jpegIMG_8443 (resized).jpegIMG_8444 (resized).jpegIMG_8444 (resized).jpegIMG_8445 (resized).jpegIMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
#15797 38 days ago

The spacing on that top picture is for the orb, so I really have to hit that one to register. Feel like I’m cheating though as it lets me build JPs without scoring grazes. The thinner one is for Mummy so if I fart it registers .

#15798 38 days ago

I don’t have a 3D printer yet, but if someone re made the spoon in a harder material I would bet it would help with the factory set ups for people that don’t want to crimp these themselves.

#15799 38 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Try this out, I back it 100%. Took a little time on the mummy just because I wanted it very sensitive. The more open gaps work well for the orb, but you might want it like the mummy shot. If so, just copy the other. Lmk if this works out for you .

#15800 38 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

The spacing on that top picture is for the orb, so I really have to hit that one to register. Feel like I’m cheating though as it lets me build JPs without scoring grazes. The thinner one is for Mummy so if I fart it registers .

Is the 2nd and third pic both for the Mummy?
So if I understand right, the far left leaf is bent to continuously touch the middle leaf? Is there any additional bend on the right under the spoon?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Botkins, OH
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 16,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 316 of 321.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.