(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,767 posts
  • 1,049 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by Oneironaut
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_163843 (resized).jpg
20240413_143449 (resized).jpg
20240412_190431 (resized).jpg
20240412_190452 (resized).jpg
Polish_20240413_140952356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_200534433 (resized).jpg
Ironmaidenshipped (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_182738510 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_200534433 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_165233504 (resized).jpg
20240407_164052@4 (resized).jpg
IMG_4951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4950 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4947 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3432 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,767 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 316.
#1201 5 years ago

I had some but they wiped off. I put a light coat of was which helps also.

#1202 5 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I had some but they wiped off. I put a light coat of was which helps also.

A light coat OF WHAT JEFF???

#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Hmmm... do you really need to use naphtha on a brand new playfield? the instructions state otherwise. Can you novus 2 then 1 the protector top portion before putting it in the game? or wait till it’s installed...
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/docs/PP_Installation_Guide_20171030.pdf

otherwise you get the wet look, I've only installed one protector with that method and yet to see the wetness that appears after X amount of plays. Naptha seems to help. I'll be damned if I'm going to redo my other ones though.

#1205 5 years ago

I notice a lot of fine scratches on mine also. Never saw this on any other NIB Stern i've owned.

#1206 5 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Last week I received my LE. It's super awesome. I got number 43/500. I was pretty stoked to get such a low number too.

I got 44

#1207 5 years ago

Acacia Ave

#1208 5 years ago
Quoted from heme:

otherwise you get the wet look, I've only installed one protector with that method and yet to see the wetness that appears after X amount of plays. Naptha seems to help. I'll be damned if I'm going to redo my other ones though.

I guess I will try the Naphtha method....does this method stink up the house? should I use a respirator mask? how long should you wait to install the protector after you Naphtha the playfield?

#1209 5 years ago

# 6 , next to my AC/DC #6

#1210 5 years ago

I received #250 of 500

6-1-2018 3-42-44 AM (resized).jpg6-1-2018 3-42-44 AM (resized).jpg
#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

I received #250 of 500

Cool number.

#1212 5 years ago

Anyone know how/why the torches light?

I noticed sometimes only my left torch is lit, other times only the right??? What gives? Thanks.

#1213 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Question for you guys....I'm noticing A LOT of scratches on my pf. I've never had a new machine. I keep looking at MET and ACDC and can kinda see them, but looks like they've blended together. My OCD is kicking in about this so I replaced the Ninja balls and they were already knicked up! Wtf?
Is this normal for a brand new pf? The scratches aren't into the clear, no ridges or anything, but they bug the shit outta me!

I think it’s normal for any playfield. You’ll see them on the side of your new car after washing and drying it a few times too. Wax it up bro! Will fix that right up

#1214 5 years ago

Wanted to share a couple mods. Speaker lights, shooter rod housing light and Eddie shooter rod

371E4067-9679-4576-842A-A0DD91162516 (resized).jpeg371E4067-9679-4576-842A-A0DD91162516 (resized).jpeg389A2854-00D4-4D8D-9D04-3BFCF8C106C0 (resized).jpeg389A2854-00D4-4D8D-9D04-3BFCF8C106C0 (resized).jpeg
#1215 5 years ago

Anyone have any adjustments to reduce air balls off the slings?

#1216 5 years ago

Nice quality control on mine. Curious why sometimes the ball wouldn't register when the scoop was hit. Now I know.

IMG_20180602_144247_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20180602_144247_01 (resized).jpg
#1217 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Nice quality control on mine. Curious why sometimes the ball wouldn't register when the scoop was hit. Now I know.

Has it come lose or was it never there to begin with?

#1218 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I guess I will try the Naphtha method....does this method stink up the house? should I use a respirator mask? how long should you wait to install the protector after you Naphtha the playfield?

You can if you want, I never do. It smells kind of like paint thinner. Just go over the playfield a few times before putting the protector on, shouldn't need to wait long it. Also another tip is to fit the protector on without taking protective coating off. make sure you don't have any areas you need to shave down, it's pretty rare to get a protector that doesn't need some adjustments. I use a Dremel with a grinding stone, but anything similar will work.

#1219 5 years ago
Quoted from heme:

You can if you want, I never do. It smells kind of like paint thinner. Just go over the playfield a few times before putting the protector on, shouldn't need to wait long it. Also another tip is to fit the protector on without taking protective coating off. make sure you don't have any areas you need to shave down, it's pretty rare to get a protector that doesn't need some adjustments. I use a Dremel with a grinding stone, but anything similar will work.

Just so everyone knows, these protectors do a good job preventing wear on the playfield, but at the same time, completely ruin the feel of the pin. Ball doesn't roll right, just not fun to play on. Also, the edges get super dirty, and end up looking like crap after like 20 games.

Just keep your playfield clean, and give it a coat of wax every once in a while.

#1220 5 years ago

Screws cost money. If you leave a few out here and there, it adds up! I'd say the inspector on that line is heading for upper management...

#1221 5 years ago

My premium also shipped with no screws holding that switch in. That is really not acceptable.

#1222 5 years ago

Lapean111, I respect your opinion and experience but I wonder where the protectors you've played on came from. If you clean the protector after removing the protective film you will not likely be able to tell a difference in ball movement or speed from a clean and waxed playfield. Out of 9 protectors I've gotten in the last year from zee germans only 2 have needed minor trimming. A clean cut with a razor blade is what I found to be best. 5 of these have been installed on games that are played in a public setting with no complaints from the players and hundreds of games without looking dirty or affecting the feel of the game. They are cleaned and well maintained.

#1223 5 years ago

Started changing out the stock super bright LED's.

Cointaker warm white frosted under the slingshots.

To my eye, it's so much better.

Artwork pops and it just has a much nicer look.

IMG_3114 (resized).jpgIMG_3114 (resized).jpg
#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Lapean111, I respect your opinion and experience but I wonder where the protectors you've played on came from. If you clean the protector after removing the protective film you will not likely be able to tell a difference in ball movement or speed from a clean and waxed playfield. Out of 9 protectors I've gotten in the last year from zee germans only 2 have needed minor trimming. A clean cut with a razor blade is what I found to be best. 5 of these have been installed on games that are played in a public setting with no complaints from the players and hundreds of games without looking dirty or affecting the feel of the game. They are cleaned and well maintained.

The ones I have tried have also been the German ones. To each their own I guess.

#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Much better, the stock bulbs wash everything out. Whoever is doing the lighting design at Stern is failing. WW vs. cool white is LED 101. Yes, I AM saying I could have done a better job in my sleep.

#1226 5 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Just so everyone knows, these protectors do a good job preventing wear on the playfield, but at the same time, completely ruin the feel of the pin. Ball doesn't roll right, just not fun to play on. Also, the edges get super dirty, and end up looking like crap after like 20 games.
Just keep your playfield clean, and give it a coat of wax every once in a while.

yeah, mine play fine as well. I know if you install them when they are lifted in certain areas it might affect it, but I honestly noticed little difference if any.
it actually has an added benefit of leveling certain areas, so the ball rolls smoother.
I've only had to take one out due to ball sticking issues. All mine have thousands of plays on them since they are on location and they still looks fine, installed about 15 of them.

I know they started making them thinner recently, not sure when you tried them. I'd recommend them though.

#1227 5 years ago

I understand why some of you want your pinball machines machines to remain in pristine condition, but it is a mechanical machine where a metal ball meets sharp metal edges, wood and clear-coat. The ball will get dings, and it will scratch the shit out of the clear and dent the shit out of the wood underneath the clear. This is normal. Buying protectors etc is kinda silly to me. You're trying to counteract the normal wear and tear pinball machines go through. Just play your games and occasionally wax the pfs and tumble your balls.

#1228 5 years ago

Yeah the protector prevents that wear that's the point. I dont see how your "steel ball will destroy the playfield" is an argument against having a playfield protector.

#1229 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Post pics when your done please. Before and after would be nice. I agree the cool white kind of washes areas out a bit..

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Yeah the protector prevents that wear that's the point. I dont see how your "steel ball will destroy the playfield" is an argument against having a playfield protector.

"Destroy" was your word choice. My previously routed 20 year old w/b machines look great. Are they scratched and dented? YES! Does anyone without the perfect angle of lighting and a keen eye for anything that is not factory direct perfection notice? Hell no! Protectors are just silly. That is just my opinion. You have every right to attempt to keep your playfields pristine, but your attempts defy a lot of what the physics and manufacturing of pinball machines are all about. The games are meant to wear, and even cheap-assed sterns wear well.

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

YES! The games are meant to wear, and even cheap-assed sterns wear well.

Bravo. Clap, Clap, Clap

#1232 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Post pics when your done please. Before and after would be nice. I agree the cool white kind of washes areas out a bit..

This pic taken with one done and the other side is factory.

Going to change the bulb above right sling shot as it shines directly into eyes.

Also will add defusers under some of the boards to soften the glare.

Maybe add some colors at back.

Will post pics when done.

IMG_3128 (resized).jpgIMG_3128 (resized).jpg
#1233 5 years ago

I just prefer the softer look, as stock LED's just wash colors out.

Another example.

I always take the ones out of the back - I wanted to put 5 yellow Cointaker frosted but only had 2!

I know the current trend seems to be make games as bright as the sun, but I much prefer seeing the artwork and more muted colors.

IMG_3131 (resized).jpgIMG_3131 (resized).jpgIMG_3135 (resized).jpgIMG_3135 (resized).jpgIMG_3136 (resized).jpgIMG_3136 (resized).jpgIMG_3137 (resized).jpgIMG_3137 (resized).jpg
#1234 5 years ago

I’m wondering if comet’s sunlight bulbs might be the perfect application for this. I feel like your loosing some detail on the sling plastics.. as always led’s don’t photograph well. Overall this is improved.. keep up the good work!

#1235 5 years ago

Im in, Getting an Premium on Friday. Praying theirs no major issues

#1236 5 years ago

really enjoying the game. currently only one available for public play in the UK

33467130_1675646465854721_8066774645832941568_n (resized).jpg33467130_1675646465854721_8066774645832941568_n (resized).jpg33734940_1678790942206940_7527560854942777344_n (resized).jpg33734940_1678790942206940_7527560854942777344_n (resized).jpg
#1237 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I’m wondering if comet’s sunlight bulbs might be the perfect application for this. I feel like your loosing some detail on the sling plastics.. as always led’s don’t photograph well. Overall this is improved.. keep up the good work!

Cool white is pretty much crap in most pins, I'm going with Yellow double LED maybe a few accent colors here and there. Yellow on my TWD worked great, warm or sunlight is still a better alternative to white.

DSC04064 (resized).JPGDSC04064 (resized).JPGDSC04065 (resized).JPGDSC04065 (resized).JPG
#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

tumble your balls.

Unavoidable childish snicker completed. Thank you

#1239 5 years ago

Iron Maiden Pro in the house! Thank you Randy at Got Pinball for your usual outstanding service! Realize I am still in the honeymoon phase but this game is nothing short of amazing! And the truth is...I only know one Iron Maiden song! best, Charlie

#1240 5 years ago

50 plays in and I am really loving my LE, and so far no issues at all. Foil cabinet and mirrored backglass are awesome. I was a bit worried whether the cab was actually foil from the lack of comments here, but it looks great. Tons of shiny silver details all over it. Only disappointment is the lack of a dedicated blue lamp in the GI for Fear of the Dark mode, but other than that this game (layout, rules, artwork, display) is a masterpiece in my opinion.

IMG_7158 (resized).JPGIMG_7158 (resized).JPG
#1241 5 years ago

Watching my tracking info with R+L like a hawk. It seems pretty slow, not sure it'll make the estimated "3 day" transit time or not, but it seems unlikely at the rate it's going. It's been in Louisville since last night and hasn't moved yet. I'm just hoping that Louisville is a hub and it'll go straight to Orlando from there.

#1242 5 years ago

Just scheduled delivery of my premium for Wednesday!!!

#1243 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I'm just hoping that Louisville is a hub and it'll go straight to Orlando from there.

That's a truck stop and they are eatting greasy hamburger and playing the hell out of your machine.

#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

"Destroy" was your word choice. My previously routed 20 year old w/b machines look great. Are they scratched and dented? YES! Does anyone without the perfect angle of lighting and a keen eye for anything that is not factory direct perfection notice? Hell no! Protectors are just silly. That is just my opinion. You have every right to attempt to keep your playfields pristine, but your attempts defy a lot of what the physics and manufacturing of pinball machines are all about. The games are meant to wear, and even cheap-assed sterns wear well.

I mainly got them, because I have a lot of crap to do. (just like everyone else). If I'm not able to get to clean a playfield as soon as I'd like on location, then it's piece of mind that the protector is the thing that's going to take the brunt of the force and not the playfield. Will the playfield still dimple to some degree.. yeah, maybe. not why I got them though.
I plan on having a lot of these in my rotation for while and anything I can do to prevent more work later is a plus in my book. Don't think anyone ever said anything about no wear what's so ever.. all they were meant for is preventing it, just like mylar or cliffy's.

If someone at home wants to add one I'm not sure why everyone is saying they are a bad or silly idea, it an assurance. It's not affecting you and if you get a game with one and it bugs you, they take literally 5 minutes to cut out.

Bottom line is until we see a playfield after 10 years of being under a protector, I don't think anyone can really judge with 100% certainty either way.

#1245 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

That's a truck stop and they are eatting greasy hamburger and playing the hell out of your machine.

Nooooo! Now I'm going to have nightmares!

#1246 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Nooooo! Now I'm going to have nightmares!

Is this the premium in Louisville?
Don't worry dude it's not really "on the docks" like that LET'S PARTY flyer said.
Jim Bob pushed that shit over now it's in the dock.

#1247 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Is this the premium in Louisville?
Don't worry dude it's not really "on the docks" like that telephone pole LET'S PARTY flyer said.
Jim Bob pushed that shit over now it's in the dock.

Haha. I checked the tracking this morning and indeed it's on it's way to Orlando. So it seems like I should get it before Friday. Fuck yeah!

#1248 5 years ago

Got my pro yesterday and had some people over to play it. Had some good games. I did have an extra ball on my GC. This game is great.

6275BC3E-302F-4A52-9CA3-69705B3771CF (resized).jpeg6275BC3E-302F-4A52-9CA3-69705B3771CF (resized).jpeg
#1249 5 years ago

You just got it yesterday and already have over 500M? I've had it for almost a month and mine is about 230M... I suck at pinball. :'(

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Just scheduled delivery of my premium for Wednesday!!!

I got offered a Wednesday delivery but can't be here so its coming on Friday!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,767 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 316.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.