(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,815 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by nickrivers
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240416_160659390.MP (resized).jpg
25d6415bd4f5ee62b5604e3e73d30ef0bdc2c8d0 (resized).jpg
72038EF4-8215-4C19-B733-688FFB33D320 (resized).jpeg
8820CDAA-4B0B-4D67-844D-8D3197E44344 (resized).jpeg
B267A7B9-3222-426E-B14A-09BCED66716E (resized).jpeg
EEEBA8AA-85EA-4EBE-9123-16F1A419FDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6704 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 222 of 317.
#11051 2 years ago

Thanks! I tried searching the posts and never found that. I appreciate the guidance!

#11052 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Curious on what this would entail. I just tried a couple of hour ago loosening the screws to see if there was any give towards center and really couldnt budge it much more than what it already was.
Also, dam those LEDs under the flipper mechanism. Along with the rod took that off to see how it looked like and didnt expect for the bulb contacts to be stapled unto the playfield and then soldered on. That housing at the base did seem a little wonky but it "looked" fine when I powered it on w/o any issues. But when back in game, the flipper coil vibration causes it to flicker. will get back down there when I have more patience.

I put a few layers of mylar in between the metal shooter rod housing and the front of the cabinet where the graphics are. Just put it on whichever side needs to be raised to get the rod in the middle.
It only took a few layers to move the rod over enough.

#11053 2 years ago

Which is the best mode to play with trooper multiball?

#11054 2 years ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

That’s a great question. I would say whichever mode you have the most difficulty completing?

#11055 2 years ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

Lately I've been trying to bring it into Hallowed Be Thy Name. They both lend themselves to shooting whatever is lit and easy so you can more or less play it the same as trooper on it's own and finish it cleanly. The chaos of multiple balls flying around can even help with the drop target shots.

The others are doable in trooper, but he optimal scoring strategies require precision shots at specific times which is at odds with the chaos that is 3-5 balls in play at once.

#11056 2 years ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

In the earlier days of playing the game I brought in Hallowed Be Thy Name but honestly I prefer to keep everything separate now. It was good to help finish that mode before but now it's a distraction.

#11057 2 years ago

The good: All four cards at once for the first time.

The bad: Soldier card lit on final drain.

Gonna go curl up with a stiff drink now.

#11058 2 years ago

It’s that freakin Mummy card.
I always leave it for last,
Always makes me cry. lol

#11059 2 years ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

It’s that freakin Mummy card.
I always leave it for last,
Always makes me cry. lol

Mummy was one of those cards I had gotten a few times by just banging around a bit loosely but the moment I got into a more settled state and also didn't worry about if I needed to start it again it became much easier. Add in that getting your add-a-ball ready to go seriously helps so if you do end up draining or are having a tough time you can add one in, set up the next AAB and hopefully get another round of switch hits in.

#11060 2 years ago

Any thoughts from anyone? Shooter lane guide is a bit loose, auto plunge works ok but manual plunge hits the upper flipper. So went to look at the screw tightening the ball guide down. Seems to have chewed up the hole a bit was lots of sawdust and the hole is now larger than the screw. Use a slightly bigger screw now, some wood glue, or?

#11061 2 years ago
Quoted from JPloof:

Any thoughts from anyone? Shooter lane guide is a bit loose, auto plunge works ok but manual plunge hits the upper flipper. So went to look at the screw tightening the ball guide down. Seems to have chewed up the hole a bit was lots of sawdust and the hole is now larger than the screw. Use a slightly bigger screw now, some wood glue, or?

If you bought it nib talk to your distro first and see what they recommend. They might even fix it for you. If you know a local pinball restorer or woodworker see what they recommend.

If you have to do it yourself, clear out the sawdust with canned air then fill it with a wood filler. $5-$15 at home depot near the epoxy. Remove any excess immediately as you don't want to have to sand. Let it soft cure (usually hours) then very carefully remake the hole, first with a small pilot hole and then the original screw. If you let it hard cure (usually days) it will be difficult to drill compared to wood and you'll risk slipping into the wood itself. Soft and hard cure times will be in the instructions.

#11062 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

If you bought it nib talk to your distro first and see what they recommend. They might even fix it for you. If you know a local pinball restorer or woodworker see what they recommend.
If you have to do it yourself, clear out the sawdust with canned air then fill it with a wood filler. $5-$15 at home depot near the epoxy. Remove any excess immediately as you don't want to have to sand. Let it soft cure (usually hours) then very carefully remake the hole, first with a small pilot hole and then the original screw. If you let it hard cure (usually days) it will be difficult to drill compared to wood and you'll risk slipping into the wood itself. Soft and hard cure times will be in the instructions.

Quoted from JPloof:

Get a hardwood dowel, drill the pf fill the hole with the dowel, glue and cut flush.
Pre drill the hole before screwing back in, enjoy!
Good luck

#11063 2 years ago
Quoted from JPloof:

A quick and easy fix (I'm not saying it's the best) is to take a wooden match stick, clip it to the size you need (the depth of the hole so it ends up flush with the playfield) put it into the hole, and then reinstall the screw. The match stick makes up for the stripped hole, and gives the screw something to bite into. The same thing goes if you have a stripped screw into a piece of sheet metal, only difference is you use a metal paper clip instead.

#11064 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Get a hardwood dowel, drill the pf fill the hole with the dowel, glue and cut flush.
Pre drill the hole before screwing back in, enjoy!
Good luck

This is also a good approach if you have steadier hands and better tools than I do!

#11065 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

A quick and easy fix (I'm not saying it's the best) is to take a wooden match stick, clip it to the size you need (the depth of the hole so it ends up flush with the playfield) put it into the hole, and then reinstall the screw. The match stick makes up for the stripped hole, and gives the screw something to bite into. The same thing goes if you have a stripped screw into a piece of sheet metal, only difference is you use a metal paper clip instead.

After a bit of research (and thanks for all the suggestions) settled on a method similar.

Had some Elmer’s wood glue, small dab of this with a couple of toothpicks. Letting the glue set a bit longer, will sand it down to be even and then hoping it holds nice and tight again.

278D307A-2108-44A4-9347-BF84219C2AB1 (resized).jpeg278D307A-2108-44A4-9347-BF84219C2AB1 (resized).jpeg
#11066 2 years ago

Filed down. New screw hole set. Got the guide set perfect and a nice tight screw again! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

#11067 2 years ago
Quoted from JPloof:

Filed down. New screw hole set. Got the guide set perfect and a nice tight screw again! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Glad it worked!

#11068 2 years ago

just an fyi for Iron Maiden pin owners
I've started a thread for a concert ticket magnet that works for all of the concert pins. this was original created for rush tickets but I've expanded to make concert tickets for iron maiden, led zeppelin and aerosmith

just about everything can be customized on the ticket including ticket color, date, sec-row-seat, venue, presentor, price, ticket no.
additionally, I'm offering them with 3 different bookend images

iron maiden sample 1 (resized).pngiron maiden sample 1 (resized).pngiron maiden sample 2 (resized).pngiron maiden sample 2 (resized).pngiron maiden sample 3 (resized).pngiron maiden sample 3 (resized).png

more details can be found here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-backbox-concert-ticket-cover-up

#11069 2 years ago

Well I know it’s late, but better late then never. Joined the club! Currently sitting in a van with iron maiden in the back waiting to catch my ferry home.

#11070 2 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Well I know it’s late, but better late then never. Joined the club! Currently sitting in a van with iron maiden in the back waiting to catch my ferry home.

Congrats and enjoy your new game

#11071 2 years ago

One of the most addictive pins I have played.
Take it from a guy that gets bored of pins in 200 plays.
This one is bolted to the floor!

#11072 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

This one is bolted to the floor!

That will help solve the death save dilemma in one of the other threads

#11073 2 years ago

I’m looking for a NIB IM prem(preferred) or pro. Anyone know of a distro with one currently in stock? Probably a long shot based on production issues these days.

#11074 2 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Congrats and enjoy your new game

thanks! It’s not NIB but I got a great deal from a couple who bought it brand new and are selling everything and heading somewhere tropical. Was a little dirty but cleaned up extremely well.

#11075 2 years ago

I will start by saying I understand some people will not like this mod and that is cool with me but i have owned this game since release and have owned all of Elwin's titles and it is very rare for a game of his to have a non flowing shot. The super Jackpot deadend shot has always bugged me until i finally came up with a way to address that and to add some more flow.

I am in the final stages of this and should have my custom made wire form welded up in the next day or two then doing some final finishing dress up touches.

To summarize what you are seeing is a 90 degree ramp that replaces the spot target, I will be wiring up optos to mount to the ramp to trigger the switch. I made a new lane guide and the custom wire form (not completed yet) so best of all there is no permanent modification to my game. I was concerned at first i would not have room under that right ramp but to my surprise I actually had quite a bit of room to work with.

A272B775-8303-432A-8432-51A24CBE6856 (resized).jpegA272B775-8303-432A-8432-51A24CBE6856 (resized).jpegC2AEA89A-5BFE-4E88-8913-01E5B18C6DD4 (resized).jpegC2AEA89A-5BFE-4E88-8913-01E5B18C6DD4 (resized).jpegD545914C-B8BA-4735-B1F4-16B3733848E7 (resized).jpegD545914C-B8BA-4735-B1F4-16B3733848E7 (resized).jpegE0797FB1-EF8F-43D7-BF2F-FBF44DCAF9E6 (resized).jpegE0797FB1-EF8F-43D7-BF2F-FBF44DCAF9E6 (resized).jpegF472B2C1-B195-4CF2-BE12-C8225B9C81F7 (resized).jpegF472B2C1-B195-4CF2-BE12-C8225B9C81F7 (resized).jpeg
#11076 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

I will start by saying I understand some people will not like this mod and that is cool with me but i have owned this game since release and have owned all of Elwin's titles and it is very rare for a game of his to have a non flowing shot. The super Jackpot deadend shot has always bugged me until i finally came up with a way to address that and to add some more flow.
I am in the final stages of this and should have my custom made wire form welded up in the next day or two then doing some final finishing dress up touches.
To summarize what you are seeing is a 90 degree ramp that replaces the spot target, I will be wiring up optos to mount to the ramp to trigger the switch. I made a new lane guide and the custom wire form (not completed yet) so best of all there is no permanent modification to my game. I was concerned at first i would not have room under that right ramp but to my surprise I actually had quite a bit of room to work with.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is cool!
It is like the ramp in aiq feeding the upper flipper.
I have never been a fan of that dead end ahot either ans not a fan of making this type of changes but admire the vision and the effort.
Awesome

#11077 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

To summarize what you are seeing is a 90 degree ramp that replaces the spot target, I will be wiring up optos to mount to the ramp to trigger the switch. I made a new lane guide and the custom wire form (not completed yet) so best of all there is no permanent modification to my game. I was concerned at first i would not have room under that right ramp but to my surprise I actually had quite a bit of room to work with.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a very interesting change... The dead end shot has never bothered me and there's plenty of flow on this pin - but I'd be really keen to see that in action. Be sure to post the finished product!

Just wonder how it will affect the gameplay when you hit a shot that usually would have hit the standup, but it's not powerful enough to get up the ramp. I guess it will depend on the opto placement. Also the effect of being able to loop shot that target continuously, which I don't think the code would be expecting. Like I said - interesting!

#11078 2 years ago

Curious to see how it turns out! Very ballsy.

I guess my concern here would be that the SJ isn't accessible from more than one shot. I'm at best an average player and almost need that ball to sneak in from my lower-left flipper and this isn't possible with your integration, correct?

Also, did you tear up an LE? Balls like melons.

#11079 2 years ago

Not a huge fan but each to their own. Are you going to add some mylar at the new ball drop point you have created?

#11080 2 years ago

This pin to me is perfect. I actually find that dead end shot both satisfying And a small welcomed break from the fantastic flow of this game; just enough of a break to take a breath and flip on.

I second this:

Quoted from Mancave:

Not a huge fan but each to their own. Are you going to add some mylar at the new ball drop point you have created?

#11081 2 years ago

I think it is pretty cool and look forward to seeing how it works. As others have said, it's not for me, but I think it's a great thought. I have a hard time hitting that shot with any speed, so I think the ramp would frustrate me.

#11082 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

As ambitious mods go that's impressive. Especially the 0 permanent modification part. Looking forward to seeing it finished and videos of how it actually plays out. If it works well physically and in the context of the rules you've got a winner there.

Deadend shots usually bother me as they often feel like the only shot available is going to break the flow at a bad time but the uppers on maiden are practically their own playfield. There's always another option if the time isn't right but as punctuation to a big combo it feels great.

The lazy rollback after Right orbit -> inner-loop -> deadend super deathblow gives me the same feeling as the slowdown after winning a round of Street Fighter II with a perfect dragon punch. A normally open gate that locks when the target is super deathblow eligible would be god tier.

Regardless, I'm impressed.

#11083 2 years ago

This is going to sound odd, but does the spinner look crooked to anyone else? I hadn't given it much of a look but recently the ball has gotten hung up on it before dropping down a few times in the past several games and had never done that before.

Can anyone confirm it is correct or leaning?

IMDN spinner (resized).jpgIMDN spinner (resized).jpg
#11084 2 years ago

Looks crooked on yours

2022-03-16 22.18.33 (resized).jpg2022-03-16 22.18.33 (resized).jpg
#11085 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Looks crooked on yours
[quoted image]

Thanks for the photo and this is what I expected. I'll take a look this afternoon and see what could possibly be causing this.

#11086 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Thanks for the photo and this is what I expected. I'll take a look this afternoon and see what could possibly be causing this.

You most likely just need to bend the bracket down a little bit. Should be and easy fix. I'm not sure why a ball would get stuck on the spinner though, it doesn't look that out of whack.

#11087 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

You most likely just need to bend the bracket down a little bit. Should be and easy fix. I'm not sure why a ball would get stuck on the spinner though, it doesn't look that out of whack.

Prob the rod going into the bracket has enough friction to not freely spin at that angle. You can force it through from a shot, but on the way back down theres not enough freedom to lift out of the wayl

#11088 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

with spinners out of adjustment, the ball hits the edge of the spinner and it chokes up

The spinner is just a few mm too high and the edge stops the ball rather than spinning.

Had the exact same issue with another game.

#11089 2 years ago

Got the wireform welded up and installed and everything put back together. Got a handful of games on it (dont have my opto stuff from pblife yet so no shot register). I had to bump up the flipper power a little but it still shoots like a dream up there and that shot can now be repeated or just adds some fun flow. Really glad i was able to bring this one to life extremely enjoyable.

4087F393-EAD6-4CE7-A7A5-4710A3863154 (resized).jpeg4087F393-EAD6-4CE7-A7A5-4710A3863154 (resized).jpeg53137178-9020-4E31-A60D-D7D8640D8EB1 (resized).jpeg53137178-9020-4E31-A60D-D7D8640D8EB1 (resized).jpeg60EC0674-3F99-4C21-A4FD-6630726E4C0A (resized).jpeg60EC0674-3F99-4C21-A4FD-6630726E4C0A (resized).jpegFDBCB8C6-7775-4707-AEB4-333F8A078416 (resized).jpegFDBCB8C6-7775-4707-AEB4-333F8A078416 (resized).jpeg
#11090 2 years ago

Machine - For Trade
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Nicely modded pro; led speakers, artblades, three eddie figures. Looking to trade for another modern stern (dp pro, bm66, bksor pro, godzilla pro, rush prem, possibly aiq prem, ot...”
2022-03-15
Madison, WI
Trade
Archived after: 37 days
Viewed: 1568 times

Looking to leave the club if anyone local wants to trade.

#11091 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Got the wireform welded up and installed and everything put back together. Got a handful of games on it (dont have my opto stuff from pblife yet so no shot register). I had to bump up the flipper power a little but it still shoots like a dream up there and that shot can now be repeated or just adds some fun flow. Really glad i was able to bring this one to life extremely enjoyable.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty cool!
I would love to see some vids of it working.
You should also find out Elwin’s handle here and tag him, I think he would be happy to see this change. Not because his design was bad but from a ‘design’ point of view he might have a thought or two to share.
Pretty cool stuff cheers

#11092 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Workmanship on that looks crazy good. I'm not sure I'd realize it was a mod if I hadn't seen the pin before.

#11093 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Are you planning on selling these by any chance? Looks pretty fun!

#11094 2 years ago
Quoted from Eagle14:

Are you planning on selling these by any chance? Looks pretty fun!

The fact it’s reversible is very intriguing.

#11095 2 years ago

Swoods5688 Wow this got so much fun potentioal.Glad to see an idea so simple yet so smart,brought to life.

#11096 2 years ago

Thanks for the positive feedback on this one it has really been a labor of love to add another fun factor into my favorite pin. I am going to try and upload some game play footage this weekend but i must say i have successfully hit the ramp from my bottom left flipper 3 times now in about a dozen games so it is nice to know that is make able. As for the upper flipper I had to turn up the flipper power but feel it makes the other shots more satisfying. I have not had a roll back on it with about 30 hits on it thus far in gameplay. My opto board is due in tomorrow so hoping to get it fully integrated and put more plays on it.

I have some finishing touches yet to go on it. I have a new plastics being made up to replace the existing plastic and a print shop working on some decal prints off a scan of my existing plastic. My goal was for this mod to be 100% reversible back to stock with no real modifications to the machine.

As far as selling goes I would need to look into it some more and get some costs. The ramp is a stern purchased part so i would need to see what kind of quantity i could get of those. I made the wire-form but if i was to look into producing these i would probably reach out to logan ramps and see if he can make these for me as his setup is far superior to mine. The wiring harness for optos and and ramp mod are straightforward for myself. I guess i would want to gauge interest on it there then move it to its own form and work out pricing.

#11097 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Thanks for the positive feedback on this one it has really been a labor of love to add another fun factor into my favorite pin. I am going to try and upload some game play footage this weekend but i must say i have successfully hit the ramp from my bottom left flipper 3 times now in about a dozen games so it is nice to know that is make able. As for the upper flipper I had to turn up the flipper power but feel it makes the other shots more satisfying. I have not had a roll back on it with about 30 hits on it thus far in gameplay. My opto board is due in tomorrow so hoping to get it fully integrated and put more plays on it.
I have some finishing touches yet to go on it. I have a new plastics being made up to replace the existing plastic and a print shop working on some decal prints off a scan of my existing plastic. My goal was for this mod to be 100% reversible back to stock with no real modifications to the machine.
As far as selling goes I would need to look into it some more and get some costs. The ramp is a stern purchased part so i would need to see what kind of quantity i could get of those. I made the wire-form but if i was to look into producing these i would probably reach out to logan ramps and see if he can make these for me as his setup is far superior to mine. The wiring harness for optos and and ramp mod are straightforward for myself. I guess i would want to gauge interest on it there then move it to its own form and work out pricing.

Im interested!

#11098 2 years ago

Mark me interested too

#11100 2 years ago

For those who run Pinstadiums on their Iron Maiden, what are you plugging the UV's into for best effect? I only like them seen occasionally. Gets too much otherwise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.50
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 222 of 317.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/222?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.