(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,769 posts
  • 1,049 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 minutes ago by Oneironaut
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_163843 (resized).jpg
20240413_143449 (resized).jpg
20240412_190431 (resized).jpg
20240412_190452 (resized).jpg
Polish_20240413_140952356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_200534433 (resized).jpg
Ironmaidenshipped (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_182738510 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_200534433 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240408_165233504 (resized).jpg
20240407_164052@4 (resized).jpg
IMG_4951 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4950 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4947 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3432 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,769 posts in this topic. You are on page 212 of 316.
#10551 2 years ago

My left slingshot started double firing once in a while after I changed the rubber a while back. Before I adjusted the switches I wanted to see if I could tell which one was causing it but after firing the slingshot from the diagnostic menu 100 or more times it never double fired once.

Any ideas what might cause this if it's not the switches themselves? I watched them and they never touched when the sling was returning.

#10552 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

My left slingshot started double firing once in a while after I changed the rubber a while back. Before I adjusted the switches I wanted to see if I could tell which one was causing it but after firing the slingshot from the diagnostic menu 100 or more times it never double fired once.
Any ideas what might cause this if it's not the switches themselves? I watched them and they never touched when the sling was returning.

Sling rubber is too tight. Either go up a size or pull really hard on the rubber to “stretch” it out.

#10553 2 years ago

Removed the metal playfield piece on my upper loop today (750 game mark) and replaced with Mylar. It was under the guide, no easy task! The metal had dug into the clear coat on the right end, so if you’re thinking of doing the same I would suggest sooner than later for sure-
3902EA5D-D2B3-49EF-9234-84FC204D25E8 (resized).jpeg3902EA5D-D2B3-49EF-9234-84FC204D25E8 (resized).jpeg9733CDE7-E0DB-4A25-BD53-8C851D84867F (resized).jpeg9733CDE7-E0DB-4A25-BD53-8C851D84867F (resized).jpeg

#10554 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Removed the metal playfield piece on my upper loop today (750 game mark) and replaced with Mylar. It was under the guide, no easy task! The metal had dug into the clear coat on the right end, so if you’re thinking of doing the same I would suggest sooner than later for sure-
[quoted image][quoted image]

The metal guard was added in later runs after the mylar from the original design wasn't enough to protect the pf.

This is the first I've heard of the metal guard being under the guide. Usually the complaints about the metal guard are curling or adhesion.

There's been a bunch of talk here the cliffy carbon fibre protector lately, all positive as far as I remember. I installed one ~1000 plays ago and it seems to be holding up.

#10555 2 years ago

How do you make the backdrop tilt back like that?? Looks like it makes it way easier to work on back there.

And I'm at abut 1000 games since I put the protector in using the 3m tape recommended earlier in this thread and no issues yet. so either that or the cliffy seems to work.

#10556 2 years ago

Yeah I am ordering the cliffy today. Removing the backboard involves three screws from under the PF that go into the backboard as well as the L brackets. Because the left ramp lip goes through the backboard it’s a little complicated. Also the left bracket screw is partially under a node board. It came off easier than it went on actually, you have to put the guardian diverter up and power everything off to begin with, then loosen the left ramp to get the diverter aligned correctly when reassembling. It took me two tries to get everything correct.

#10557 2 years ago

Yeah I am ordering the cliffy today. Removing the backboard involves three screws from under the PF that go into the backboard as well as the L brackets. Because the left ramp lip goes through the backboard it’s a little complicated. Also the left bracket screw is partially under a node board. It came off easier than it went on actually, you have to put the guardian diverter up and power everything off to begin with, then loosen the left ramp to get the diverter aligned correctly when reassembling. It took me two tries to get everything correct.

One of the few times I'm thankful for only having a pro haha. Thanks!

#10558 2 years ago

Made me a toppa!!!

20211217_163455 (resized).jpg20211217_163455 (resized).jpg
#10559 2 years ago

Had a solid ball one with 2 xballs collected. Came back to earth quickly after that. Still managed to crack a bill.
20220107_224212 (resized).jpg20220107_224212 (resized).jpg20220107_225516 (resized).jpg20220107_225516 (resized).jpg

#10560 2 years ago

Almost got to the beast again. 1 card away and it was the modes completed card, sooo close.
All the magic happened on ball 3!

#10561 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Almost got to the beast again. 1 card away and it was the modes completed card, sooo close.
All the magic happened on ball 3!

Pro tip - next time you get that close, open up the coin door, go into settings and change number of balls from 3 to 4. Resume play and relish battling the Beast!

#10562 2 years ago

You guys are so good! I managed my best single ball the other day and of course it was the first ball with an extra ball and I drained out all three balls after that hardly scoring anything. I think I ended with just over 300mil after this lol...

PXL_20220106_004421239 (resized).jpgPXL_20220106_004421239 (resized).jpg
#10563 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Pro tip - next time you get that close, open up the coin door, go into settings and change number of balls from 3 to 4. Resume play and relish battling the Beast!

Don't know if I'd call that a "pro" tip.

#10564 2 years ago

I had all but one Eddie card collected. Are those earned just by completing modes?

#10565 2 years ago

I had had them for a while, but never really installed them until the other day, but I would like to report that those loop opto covers that are sold by Pinball Life really do help. They are from PU-Parts (where there is some brief but concise installation instructions on their website). Ripping that outer loop fast as hell and is nice to see the ball registering 100% of the time now.

#10566 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I had all but one Eddie card collected. Are those earned just by completing modes?

Not quite. These are the four cards for the below goals, and then apparently there are level 2 cards but I haven't bothered to look into how that works since I'm a long way away from that

Super Jackpot on Trooper Multiball
Super Jackpot on Mummy Multiball
Qualifying Cyborg Multiball (Completing the Power Pyramid)
Reaching 2 Minutes to Midnight

Completing modes usually gives you a chance at a soul shard

#10567 2 years ago

I didn’t change the post, just made sure it couldn’t come loose from the ball assembly and then got it centered on the spoon. I did a lot of messing with the spoon position to make it work, but once I got that dialed in I haven’t touched it.
If getting it centered on the spoon and tightened properly as you described makes the leaf switch too sensitive then you need a bigger gap on the leaf switch.

After my iron maiden has basically just been turned off for the last month or so due to this post on spoon under the newton balls, I messed with it again today and got it better. How are you moving the spoons to recently as mine are definitely not centered on the spoon, off by a hair. I back out the wood screws on the playfield and got a little movement, is that the only way to adjust?

The white plastic on the spoons seems thin and flexes, wondering if I should order new switch/spoon assemblies.

Are you locktiting the posts when they are adjusted properly, as when I got it right, it backed itself out (which permanently closed the switch mid game)?

Wondering if there are pop numbers switches available with better spoon assemblies. This is just brutal that the tolerances are so tight on this and that it’s such a pain to adjust.

#10568 2 years ago

After my iron maiden has basically just been turned off for the last month or so due to this post on spoon under the newton balls, I messed with it again today and got it better. How are you moving the spoons to recently as mine are definitely not centered on the spoon, off by a hair. I back out the wood screws on the playfield and got a little movement, is that the only way to adjust?
The white plastic on the spoons seems thin and flexes, wondering if I should order new switch/spoon assemblies.
Are you locktiting the posts when they are adjusted properly, as when I got it right, it backed itself out (which permanently closed the switch mid game)?
Wondering if there are pop numbers switches available with better spoon assemblies. This is just brutal that the tolerances are so tight on this and that it’s such a pain to adjust.

You can bend the spoon a bit to get it centered. I super glued the actuator to the ball spindle as mine kept falling off-I think it was stripped (loctite might be better) I ordered another. Bend the switch contacts as the Johnson controls guy suggested a ways back. Then I used Feeler guages to set the contact gap but it's the same gap as a standard post card so you can use that. The gap is very important so take your time to get that precise. I've had no more problems.

#10569 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

The flex of the spoon is as designed I think. I used loc-tite on the actuator before anything else because yeah they come loose easily. The overall spoon piece you can adjust by bending where it attaches, it’s been a while since I did that but I can take a few pics if you can’t figure it out and try to show it better-

#10570 2 years ago

There is no spoon!
-the matrix

man, these pre/le issues are a pain. For me the pro it has been nothing but a blast.
Some games are pros some are premium, this one is certainly a pro -and I typically always try to go premium-

For those new buyers out there… go pro if you buy this game!

#10571 2 years ago

There is no spoon!
-the matrix
man, these pre/le issues are a pain. For me the pro it has been nothing but a blast.
Some games are pros some are premium, this one is certainly a pro -and I typically always try to go premium-

Huh???? I have very minor problems with my pre. Fuck the pro!!!

#10572 2 years ago

WesternLaugh.gifWesternLaugh.gif

#10573 2 years ago

nah, sorry.
But it is your money, if you think a ball lock is worth 2K, you are free to spend it how you see fit.

#10574 2 years ago

How do you remove the metal protector? I’m about 450 games in and it’s badly curled?

#10575 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

How do you remove the metal protector? I’m about 450 games in and it’s badly curled?

It's just held on with adhesive. It should peel off with some alcohol and/or force.

My 3m taped one has started curling on the back edge ever so slightly. No issues yet but if the ball rolls up there very slowly it can get caught. Might have just been my tape job but I feel like the carbon fiber is just a better material for this application since it shouldn't curl and create the pull metal does.

Here's another question.
Has anyone adjusted the screw on the loop to make it go faster or slower? I'm considering slowing it down a bit but not sure how much of a difference it actually makes or if there is any way to tell what its set by the factory? (I'm not the first owner of my machine)

#10576 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

It's just held on with adhesive. It should peel off with some alcohol and/or force.
My 3m taped one has started curling on the back edge ever so slightly. No issues yet but if the ball rolls up there very slowly it can get caught. Might have just been my tape job but I feel like the carbon fiber is just a better material for this application since it shouldn't curl and create the pull metal does.
Here's another question.
Has anyone adjusted the screw on the loop to make it go faster or slower? I'm considering slowing it down a bit but not sure how much of a difference it actually makes or if there is any way to tell what its set by the factory? (I'm not the first owner of my machine)

Mine is curling too. It is just the metal, but a lot Lot less than with yhe original tape.
If it gets worse I will just try the carbon fiber…

#10577 2 years ago

Mine is curling too. It is just the metal, but a lot Lot less than with yhe original tape.
If it gets worse I will just try the carbon fiber…

Yeah it's a lot less for me too and in a spot that isn't so consequential. Having the end curl like it does with the stock adhesive means the ball is slamming into it every time you hit the loop.

I can probably hold off a while longer before changing it out.

#10578 2 years ago

Should I be able to hit the bullseye target from the right flipper, on the fly?
I can just about hit the middle ring from a cradle and struggle to hit anything on the fly from the right lower flipper. Pitch about 6.8 - 7.0

#10579 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Mine was curled pretty badly and I didn't intend to reattach it so just got a pick tool under the edge and worked it loose, then pulled. Cleaned the PF with ISO before attaching mylar, waiting for my cliffy to arrive (4 weeks out).

#10580 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

I can just about hit the middle ring from a cradle and struggle to hit anything on the fly from the right lower flipper. Pitch about 6.8 - 7.0

It is a hard shot from the right flipper. I have not mastered yet so only take a ahot from the right if time is limited.

#10581 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Not as easy to hit as the left or sure. On my machine 7.2 made it pretty hard. I play closer to 6.8 now and it's a pretty dependable shot for me. It just makes the ramp and often gets the bullseye. Sometimes I prefer to use the right flipper because the left can be wild and overshoot.

#10582 2 years ago

nah, sorry.
But it is your money, if you think a ball lock is worth 2K, you are free to spend it how you see fit.

Ball lock and rising ramp. Expensive, but worth it.

#10583 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Ball lock and rising ramp. Expensive, but worth it.

Not for me and it isnt about the money, the value proposition just inst there. Other games need to be premium and this one is not one of them. Ymmv.
Over and out.

#10584 2 years ago

I can see why the pro is so appealing, the extras on the premium for IM seem a little superfluous. However, I really love the secret tomb entrance and the sarcophagus lock it's very cool (although it's not without its problems).

Whenever someone new plays the game, spells mummy then shoots the left ramp - it's priceless watching them look for the ball.... "where the hell has it gone"? and then.... "oooooohhh"...

#10585 2 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

I'm at 7.0 and can do it pretty easily from the right flipper. On the fly is a different story as it really needs to be a solid shot and I don't seem to get those very often. It honestly almost seems like it works better if it's coming from the left side of the board.

#10586 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I can see why the pro is so appealing, the extras on the premium for IM seem a little superfluous. However, I really love the secret tomb entrance and the sarcophagus lock it's very cool (although it's not without its problems).
Whenever someone new plays the game, spells mummy then shoots the left ramp - it's priceless watching them look for the ball.... "where the hell has it gone"? and then.... "oooooohhh"...

There are times when I wish I had gotten in on a Premium because I do like those features. There are also times when I hear people struggle and complain about the mechanics of the newton ball and other ramp/lock issues and think those are the things I'd prefer to avoid.

I will never understand trying to convince someone else that their purchase was a bad choice. It always rings like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything else.

#10587 2 years ago

My pro was my first NIB and I don’t regret it one minute. I do want to upgrade one day but it will only be the LE and it will be right next to my pro.
Up the Irons.

#10588 2 years ago

The way I see it, I almost always want a prem/LE. Almost. GOT is way better as a pro. That's the main one that comes to mind. I find IMDN prem/LE to be the better of the two. GZ pro is amazing, but the Prem/LE is definitely better to me. I like the best version of the games I buy. I'd always long for the better machine, so I don't buy if I can't afford it. Pros are easy to find on location.

If you're concerned about "value" (money) in any way, IMDN pro is the way to go. If you want something that is closer to Keith's original concept, the prem/LE is the way to go.

The good news about pinball is that even if you are concerned about money, you usually get all of it back when you're done with the machine, sometimes with a nice profit.

#10589 2 years ago

Hey, does anyone know what happens when you get all the Xs when you already have 3x lit but not collected? Does the Devil's head explode or something?

#10590 2 years ago

I believe I heard a new call out for me. After a good ball the chick said God Dam in a sexy voice.

#10591 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I believe I heard a new call out for me. After a good ball the chick said God Dam in a sexy voice.

Haha...yeah, I love it when she says that!!

#10592 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Ha! Never heard that one. Guess I need to play better. I get a little tingly when she says I'm "quite the baller".

#10593 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I think the callout is "Hot Damn!" but perhaps it's a different one?

At any rate, the callouts on this are top tier and make other games sound downright repetitive.

#10594 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

At any rate, the callouts on this are top tier and make other games sound downright repetitive.

GZ is good also. I was working on a minor IM problem and my IM is very close to GZ and I kept triggering the the GZ flipper button with my rear. Then I heard "Can't you find another form of amusement"

#10595 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Haha... Always thought it was the other, but ya know, you're probably right, haha.
I agree with you, the call-outs on this game are amazing

#10596 2 years ago

I love the rip out of the chest multiball- where else can you get that?

#10597 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Hey, does anyone know what happens when you get all the Xs when you already have 3x lit but not collected? Does the Devil's head explode or something?

Extends your multiplier time

#10598 2 years ago

So, it seems like Stern made a running change to both the Pro and Premium parts when they re-ran Iron Maiden in 2021. It's made the 3D Anubis not work as packaged. The Pro is easy to get around - it just needs longer screws from the back side instead of the M-F standoff I have included since the game's release.

However, the Prem is a problem. They moved the bracket about 3mm forward so the ears and head can't get under the cabinet support at the top of the playfield. I can fix the model, but I need someone that has a NEW 2021 version (only) of Iron Maiden Premium willing to test iterations until I can get to a version that will work with the new bracket reality they're using. If someone wants to do it, they'll get a free Anubus 3D model out of it for the tomb. PM me if interested.

#10599 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Extends your multiplier time

Ah, cool. Thanks!

#10600 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So, it seems like Stern made a running change to both the Pro and Premium parts when they re-ran Iron Maiden in 2021. It's made the 3D Anubis not work as packaged. The Pro is easy to get around - it just needs longer screws from the back side instead of the M-F standoff I have included since the game's release.
However, the Prem is a problem. They moved the bracket about 3mm forward so the ears and head can't get under the cabinet support at the top of the playfield. I can fix the model, but I need someone that has a NEW 2021 version (only) of Iron Maiden Premium willing to test iterations until I can get to a version that will work with the new bracket reality they're using. If someone wants to do it, they'll get a free Anubus 3D model out of it for the tomb. PM me if interested.

I sent you a pm, I'd be glad to help if I can, I just got an Iron Maiden Premium delivered, last week, so it's from the latest run, it's still in the box, I finally get a few days off, so now I can set it up and play!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,769 posts in this topic. You are on page 212 of 316.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/212?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.