(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,838 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 hours ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_6debbf1e (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_dbcfac75 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-22 om 21.13.46_b6c829e3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-ADV_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SYJ_IMDN-2.0-PremLE-INTRO_For-ETSY-Stacked_images (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_Intro-Prem-MED (resized).jpg
SyJ-IMDN_ADV-Prem (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.07.15_834b23a7 (resized).jpg
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-04-20 om 18.08.28_c85b3c64 (resized).jpg
20240420_170649 (resized).jpg
20240420_170609 (resized).jpg
20240420_171019 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.01.36 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,838 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 317.
#10151 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I have already recommended the 3M adhesive that is correct for this application, lol, but I swear sometimes posting here is like screaming at the sky. lol

Too many posts in here to remember it all lol. I probably read it when I didn't think my orbit protector was going to be an issue!

Here it is, I'm going to order some now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/197#post-6571161

#10152 2 years ago

Maybe add the 3M part number (or type) to the key post index for future reference for others? Sorry, i have no idea how to do that

#10153 2 years ago

Did you guys have to remove the small "ramp" that loads the sarcophagus to get to the loop protector? Or are your fingers small enough to do this without having to do that? The less I have to remove the better.

#10154 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Did you guys have to remove the small "ramp" that loads the sarcophagus to get to the loop protector? Or are your fingers small enough to do this without having to do that? The less I have to remove the better.

I have fairly small hands and it was still a tight squeeze. I did what they said and peeled one end of the backing so I could stick it straight but then I couldn't get my hand in there to pull the rest of the backing off. I had to use tweezers and just barely got it off.

I think removing the pharoah backboard plastic piece would help quite a bit since it sticks out a good 3 or so inches. Same with the plastic covering the left ramp. Not sure if removing the middle ramp would be better.

#10155 2 years ago

I decided to take off the right wireform to find where it was making the ball shoot off and I think I got it.

However I was left with this spacer when I put it back together. It's not the one from the front where the nut is, I thought it came from the phillips screw that holds it down but it's not from there either because the screw isn't long enough. Anyone know if it's from the wireform assembly at all?

PXL_20211122_212447456 (resized).jpgPXL_20211122_212447456 (resized).jpg
#10156 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I decided to take off the right wireform to find where it was making the ball shoot off and I think I got it.
However I was left with this spacer when I put it back together. It's not the one from the front where the nut is, I thought it came from the phillips screw that holds it down but it's not from there either because the screw isn't long enough. Anyone know if it's from the wireform assembly at all?
[quoted image]

Only one is at the pop.
Did you remove the plastics at the slings? Wondering if its from under there…

#10157 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

[quoted image]

By chance were you eating black olive slices when doing the repair?

#10158 2 years ago

Only one is at the pop.
Did you remove the plastics at the slings? Wondering if its from under there…

Quoted from wtatumjr:

By chance were you eating black olive slices when doing the repair?

haha no olives. I did drop a washer into the cabinet and reached in to get it. I wonder if I pulled this out with it and didn't realize.

Also still getting air balls so that sucks

#10159 2 years ago

Make sure the two bottom rails go under the ramp bracket as shown. Your opto sender and receiver should have a black olive looking like near the green arrow right and left. I thought these were one piece molded but maybe not.

PXL_20211122_230941118~3 (resized).jpgPXL_20211122_230941118~3 (resized).jpg
#10160 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

[quoted image]

Right here, under the rail:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10161 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Make sure the two bottom rails go under the ramp bracket as shown. Your opto sender and receiver should have a black olive looking like near the green arrow right and left. I thought these were one piece molded but maybe not.
[quoted image]

Good idea, looks like they are one piece though. I'm going to assume for now that the olive was left over from a previous owner. Kind of a coincidence though that I never found it before and it happened to be right where the washer that fell today landed.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Right here, under the rail:
[quoted image]

Not from this area either, that one is still there.

#10162 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Good idea, looks like they are one piece though. I'm going to assume for now that the olive was left over from a previous owner.

Ok, I found one of these in my playfield after the orb light cover fell off. If you had yours shot off I wonder if it's from within there. I put my spacer in between the LED and the art plastic. I'm also fully ready for that to be the wrong location too. Perhaps someone can take a picture of their orb light assembly to verify?

#10163 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Ok, I found one of these in my playfield after the orb light cover fell off. If you had yours shot off I wonder if it's from within there. I put my spacer in between the LED and the art plastic. I'm also fully ready for that to be the wrong location too. Perhaps someone can take a picture of their orb light assembly to verify?

mine fell off shortly after I got the game, and yes, there is a plastic washer in between the board and the plastic.

#10164 2 years ago

mine fell off shortly after I got the game, and yes, there is a plastic washer in between the board and the plastic.

Thank you for the confirmation. I suspected that was the correct location but the manual didn't really give me anything to work with.

@anony: Might want to check that space if you had your orb cover fall off.

#10165 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

...Not from this area either, that one is still there.

My bad, forgot you mentioned that when I was looking. I realize you didn't do anything on the left side, but there's one in the same spot too. Might want to check if it's really still there or not.

#10166 2 years ago

Lots of good suggestions thanks. I did do the Orb mod so I've already changed out the orb cover and LED. It's possible I dropped it then. I'll take a look though and see how it looks.

#10167 2 years ago

Just had NOTB lit for the first time and drained.

Resized_dff0f89a-78bb-4a52-a824-870ae4fc32ee_143428025960180_1634040259128.gifResized_dff0f89a-78bb-4a52-a824-870ae4fc32ee_143428025960180_1634040259128.gif
#10168 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just had NOTB lit for the first time and drained.[quoted image]

lol gotta love it man! it happens. That is like getting EB and draining second after, to then drain the EB.

#10169 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Weird, my Pro June 2018 build doesn't have it. You buy it new, or did the a prior owner install?

I am the second owner. It was on location for a while by one of the NZ operators. May be this was an option for operators?

Skippy2904

#10170 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

I am the second owner. It was on location for a while by one of the NZ operators. May be this was an option for operators?
Skippy2904

After reading about the issues w/the Stern protector bending up, I'm actually on the fence whether I should or should not install the Stern protector, put a Cliffy there instead (don't like the carbon fiber look), or just leave alone since I just play 3-4 rounds a week. I bought mine used, but it was pretty much new with about 60 games on it. Still looks brand new.

#10171 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

After reading about the issues w/the Stern protector bending up, I'm actually on the fence whether I should or should not install the Stern protector, put a Cliffy there instead (don't like the carbon fiber look), or just leave alone since I just play 3-4 rounds a week. I bought mine used, but it was pretty much new with about 60 games on it. Still looks brand new.

I have installed mylar after the protector when the ball lands after the big loop, after 550 games, the ball is slowly making a really nice and even orange peel (like all games do yes including Williams games ) but I noticed the ball trails were going to be problematic here so instead of waiting for making maintenance 100 times more difficult in 500 games more, I just added mylar here and then -IF/WHEN- I feel like taking off the mylar and put new one is much easier than dealing with a difficult ball trail on the bend.

Love mylar! photos below, first one is with a little template I made and second with mylar installed. I do this to all my games when orbit have big drops or high speed orbits. It prevents wear by almost 100% I think and makes maintenance a breeze.

IMG_6851 (resized).jpegIMG_6851 (resized).jpegIMG_6849 (resized).jpegIMG_6849 (resized).jpeg

I clean and wax my games immediately after ball trails are visible.

So all that to say...
putting a protector back thee is a no brainer. get whatever it does not matter but it is always better to do something sooner rather than later. Putting a protector later when the area is mangled up will be harder as the PF will not be flat anymore and the metal + glue might not adhere as well.
If you are concerned about installing this, the 3m tape I recommended earlier comes off in seconds with isopropyl alcohol.

#10172 2 years ago

Is there a quick fix for the ball getting hung up on the back of the centre ramp when going around the loop. Happens when the ramp is up, and the back of the ramp stops the ball. A ball search does eventually release it, but there must be a solution for this (I can't seem to find one on here - but maybe I'm just useless at searching)?

#10173 2 years ago

I have installed mylar after the protector when the ball lands after the big loop, after 550 games, the ball is slowly making a really nice and even orange peel (like all games do yes including Williams games ) but I noticed the ball trails were going to be problematic here so instead of waiting for making maintenance 100 times more difficult in 500 games more, I just added mylar here and then -IF/WHEN- I feel like taking off the mylar and put new one is much easier than dealing with a difficult ball trail on the bend.
Love mylar! photos below, first one is with a little template I made and second with mylar installed. I do this to all my games when orbit have big drops or high speed orbits. It prevents wear by almost 100% I think and makes maintenance a breeze.
[quoted image][quoted image]
I clean and wax my games immediately after ball trails are visible.
So all that to say...
putting a protector back thee is a no brainer. get whatever it does not matter but it is always better to do something sooner rather than later. Putting a protector later when the area is mangled up will be harder as the PF will not be flat anymore and the metal + glue might not adhere as well.
If you are concerned about installing this, the 3m tape I recommended earlier comes off in seconds with isopropyl alcohol.

Come to think of it, I do have some static cling mylar, @pin_fandango, I think I'll give that a try first and see if it scoots around. Hopefully, the surface area is big enough that it stays in place. I'm rather pretty picky about the pins, I'd hate to glue down a metal protector just to have it turn into two problems (metal bending, glue potentially damaging the artwork if removed). I'll look up your earlier post about which mylar you used too.

Thanks for the template tips, that's a good idea. Then just toss it in the coin box if needed again.

#10174 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I put the Cliffy Carbon Fiber protector on a couple of hundred plays ago and FWIW I don’t see it and have had zero problems since installing it. Completely out of sight and out of mind.

#10175 2 years ago

I remember some of the early posts asking if they should remove the mylar to install the orbit protector. Makes me think that Stern originally shipped these with mylar only and changed to the metal after seeing bad results. Just a consideration if you want to replace the metal with mylar.
I'll mention again that my game was purchased with 2500 plays, no orbit protector and no damage. I just wonder if mylar is enough for the impacts it gets.

My 3m tape should arrive today, I'll report back when I know how it works.

Also had a thought, I wonder if it's the design of the stern protector that makes it lift. It tapers to such a small point, there is only a tiny bit of adhesive there to hold it down. Cliffy's is flat at the end so no weak point of surface area for the adhesive.

#10176 2 years ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

I put the Cliffy Carbon Fiber protector on a couple of hundred plays ago and FWIW I don’t see it and have had zero problems since installing it. Completely out of sight and out of mind.

Yeah, I admit my OCD is kicking in. I just hate to cover up nice looking artwork (even tho that area barely has any artwork).

#10177 2 years ago

Update to game code:

V1.10.0 - November 18th, 2021
=============================
- Insider Connected - achievements added. see achievement list on https://insider.sternpinball.com
- Can I Play With Madness - mode has now been added to the game if you are connected to Stern IC
- Attract - updated Legacy of the Beast tour dates for 2022

- Adjustment Changes:
- added "MADNESS MODE ENABLED"
- added "MADNESS BALL SAVE TIME"
- added "MADNESS BALL LOCK TIME"
- added "MADNESS EXTRA BALL STAGE"

- System - Updated to V2.97.0 on OS: V2.4.0
- Updated to nodeboard firmware/protocol v0.80.0

- Added Standard Adjustment "LCD DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS" to allow dimming of LCD display.

- Added adjustments for Login and Play Again display timers:
AD_NET_LOGIN_TIMER - "INSIDER LOGIN TIMER" default 30 sec
AD_NET_PLAY_AGAIN_TIMER - "INSIDER PLAY AGAIN TIMER" default 20 sec

- GAME RESTART (hold start button) behavior change:
Holding the start button on ball 2 or greater will follow the
logic of the AD_START_BUTTON_BEHAVIOR adjustment.
If (AD_GAME_RESTART == YES) and (AD_START_BUTTON_BEHAVIOR == ADV_START_BUTTON_BEHAVIOR_ALL_LOGGED_IN)
holding the start button on ball 2 or greater will restart the game for as many
players as is necessary to accomodate the users that are logged in.
If there are not enough credits to restart the game for the necessary number
of players, the the game will not be restarted.

- Address Insider Connected game registration corner cases.

- Upon entering the Service Menu for the first time after a software update, a screen
will display the game and system version numbers. This screen will be displayed
for a minimum of 1 second, and is dismissed by the enter button. This replaces
the dots display previous shown at power on after an update.

- Login changes:
* When a user logs in during a game in progress and the player up slot
is occupied, assign the user in the first open slot from lowest
player to the highest player.
* When a user joins a game in progress, award achievements that were
earned up to that point.
* When user authorization failure, remove the user from the session.
Added audits for connectivity games and scanner use

- Connectivity support for Spike 2 games.

- Added Standard Audit "Total Power Ons" which will display the number of
time the machine has been power cycled (Spike2 only). This audit was added in
system 2.45 and is not included for display.

- Update HSTD RESET COUNT adjustment to increment/decrement by 100s when >= 100 and
by 10s when < 100

- Turn on cabinet lights, if installed, when in the Service Menu.

#10178 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Update to game code:
V1.10.0 - November 18th, 2021
=============================
- Insider Connected - achievements added. see achievement list on https://insider.sternpinball.com
- Can I Play With Madness - mode has now been added to the game if you are connected to Stern IC
- Attract - updated Legacy of the Beast tour dates for 2022
- Adjustment Changes:
- added "MADNESS MODE ENABLED"
- added "MADNESS BALL SAVE TIME"
- added "MADNESS BALL LOCK TIME"
- added "MADNESS EXTRA BALL STAGE"
- System - Updated to V2.97.0 on OS: V2.4.0
- Updated to nodeboard firmware/protocol v0.80.0
- Added Standard Adjustment "LCD DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS" to allow dimming of LCD display.
- Added adjustments for Login and Play Again display timers:
AD_NET_LOGIN_TIMER - "INSIDER LOGIN TIMER" default 30 sec
AD_NET_PLAY_AGAIN_TIMER - "INSIDER PLAY AGAIN TIMER" default 20 sec
- GAME RESTART (hold start button) behavior change:
Holding the start button on ball 2 or greater will follow the
logic of the AD_START_BUTTON_BEHAVIOR adjustment.
If (AD_GAME_RESTART == YES) and (AD_START_BUTTON_BEHAVIOR == ADV_START_BUTTON_BEHAVIOR_ALL_LOGGED_IN)
holding the start button on ball 2 or greater will restart the game for as many
players as is necessary to accomodate the users that are logged in.
If there are not enough credits to restart the game for the necessary number
of players, the the game will not be restarted.
- Address Insider Connected game registration corner cases.
- Upon entering the Service Menu for the first time after a software update, a screen
will display the game and system version numbers. This screen will be displayed
for a minimum of 1 second, and is dismissed by the enter button. This replaces
the dots display previous shown at power on after an update.
- Login changes:
* When a user logs in during a game in progress and the player up slot
is occupied, assign the user in the first open slot from lowest
player to the highest player.
* When a user joins a game in progress, award achievements that were
earned up to that point.
* When user authorization failure, remove the user from the session.
Added audits for connectivity games and scanner use
- Connectivity support for Spike 2 games.
- Added Standard Audit "Total Power Ons" which will display the number of
time the machine has been power cycled (Spike2 only). This audit was added in
system 2.45 and is not included for display.
- Update HSTD RESET COUNT adjustment to increment/decrement by 100s when >= 100 and
by 10s when < 100
- Turn on cabinet lights, if installed, when in the Service Menu.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's even worth updating if I don't have a connected machine.

#10179 2 years ago

> Can I Play With Madness - mode has now been added to the game if you are connected to Stern IC

So.. pay to get a new mode..

#10180 2 years ago

It would be nice if the connected feature allowed for remote multiplayer. It would be cool if some of us here can compete against each other, in real time, as if we were playing in the same room. I think it would be a cool feature rather than just competing for scores.

#10181 2 years ago

Anyone know what the new mode actually is?

And adding a counter to see how many times the board has been power cycled. Think they have any concerns about longevity with frequent turning off and on?

#10182 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's even worth updating if I don't have a connected machine.

We get updated Tour dates.

#10183 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Anyone know what the new mode actually is?
And adding a counter to see how many times the board has been power cycled. Think they have any concerns about longevity with frequent turning off and on?

I always wondered how is the game keeping these audits even after flashing the card. Is there a secondary card where these things are recorded?

#10184 2 years ago

I always wondered how is the game keeping these audits even after flashing the card. Is there a secondary card where these things are recorded?

Maybe a tiny bit of onboard memory that saves a few of the important things. Probably can hold it all on a tiny chip,

#10185 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

We get updated Tour dates.

Believe it or not besides them being completely blown away by the new stern games friends/family of mine get a real kick out of those scrolling through on the screen. I'm glad they are adding the new dates. Pretty cool!

#10186 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Maybe a tiny bit of onboard memory that saves a few of the important things. Probably can hold it all on a tiny chip,

I am getting a microscope for some upcoming soldering I will be doing soon (building some PIN2DMD screens for myself) but I think these spike board are a step forward when it comes to components size. Some of the resistors are tiny.

#10187 2 years ago

I am getting a microscope for some upcoming soldering I will be doing soon (building some PIN2DMD screens for myself) but I think these spike board are a step forward when it comes to components size. Some of the resistors are tiny.

Yeah I try not to mess with modern stuff at all. I had to take apart my HTC Vive controller to reseat a ribbon cable and I knocked a tiny chip off of it. It was so small when I found it I thought it might just be a piece of plastic or dirt. I grabbed my microscope and sure enough it was a tiny little chip. Device still works but who knows for how long.

#10188 2 years ago

I'm sure there is flash on there to permanently store audits.

#10189 2 years ago

It's not a new mode, it's a mode that was previously only available on the prem/Le. But now if you want to pay more to get stern IC you can have it on the pro too which is pretty shitty but not surprising.

#10190 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhorn1:

It's not a new mode, it's a mode that was previously only available on the prem/Le. But now if you want to pay more to get stern IC you can have it on the pro too which is pretty shitty but not surprising.

The pro just got a lot better! but it sucks for le/prem owners... this game is a pro though...

#10191 2 years ago

The pro just got a lot better! but it sucks for le/prem owners... this game is a pro though...

Surprised they didn’t add it as a playable mode from game start like most the newer pins have…….baby steps I guess. As a premium owner I am happy they made it available for all (sort of) because the bigger picture of the competition across games and models is going to be fun for those who opt in.

#10192 2 years ago

So basically this update really doesn't have anything significant for LE/premium owners that is worth taking the time to do from what I can see...

#10193 2 years ago

I just got the code, lol, card is flashed... I might add the connectivity in the future.

#10194 2 years ago

Some of the low power engineers I worked with were going down to a '01005' SMD part size, meaning 0.01" x 0.005". Crazy small, like a spec of dust to my old eyes. Luckily, I did the RF power - bigger parts!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10195 2 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

So basically this update really doesn't have anything significant for LE/premium owners that is worth taking the time to do from what I can see...

It doesn't take very long to update.... don't see why anyone wouldn't. There are system/firmware level changes, so you're getting bug fixes that they don't share the details of. I would update even if it was just new tour dates.

#10196 2 years ago

Can I Play With Madness - mode has now been added to the game if you are connected to Stern IC

....and the pay to play dlc begins

#10197 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Can I Play With Madness - mode has now been added to the game if you are connected to Stern IC
....and the pay to play dlc begins

I thought this mode wasn't on Pro because pro doesn't have the mechanism to activate it. I didn't realize you got it for the third mummy treasure. So this mode has been behind a paywall since the start which is pretty lame.

#10198 2 years ago

Haven't been up to date on this thread for awhile. What is on the code 1.10? Is it worth updating on the Pro??

#10199 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Believe it or not besides them being completely blown away by the new stern games friends/family of mine get a real kick out of those scrolling through on the screen. I'm glad they are adding the new dates. Pretty cool!

I too am pleased with the updated dates.

#10200 2 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

If you're looking to set up IC this is the update for you, though some additional bugfixes would have been nice.

The achievements are also up on insider connected now and we've definitely been given the hardest set of achievements currently in a game, as there's achievements for the full deathblow combo and run to the hills among other things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,838 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 317.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/204?hl=plungerboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.