(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,815 posts
  • 1,050 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by nickrivers
  • Topic is favorited by 500 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240416_160659390.MP (resized).jpg
25d6415bd4f5ee62b5604e3e73d30ef0bdc2c8d0 (resized).jpg
72038EF4-8215-4C19-B733-688FFB33D320 (resized).jpeg
8820CDAA-4B0B-4D67-844D-8D3197E44344 (resized).jpeg
B267A7B9-3222-426E-B14A-09BCED66716E (resized).jpeg
EEEBA8AA-85EA-4EBE-9123-16F1A419FDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6704 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8445 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8444 (resized).jpeg
IMNewtonBallLeaf01 (resized).jpg
IMG_5677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 201 of 317.
#10002 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

it is not a setting, the ball protector curls up and cradles the ball.
I have posted about this not long ago. I recommended a good double sided tape to reinstall.
Is this your first pinball machine? just asking to gauge the level of experience you might have repairing and disassembling.

No, I have been in the "hobby" for 25 +years and currently own 25 pins.

I am not a young lad anymore but still do a lot of my own simple board repairs and maintenance on them.

I was just sort of "surprised" that the ball was hanging up there so often on a new pin but didn't take the time to really look at the issue before posting.

Also you would think Stern would have done a better job at securing that metal plate to the playfield in assembly.

Thanks for the response on how you "cured" the issue on your IM. I'll get to it myself when it annoys me enough which won't be long from now.

CuJo

#10003 2 years ago

it is not a setting, the ball protector curls up and cradles the ball.
I have posted about this not long ago. I recommended a good double sided tape to reinstall.
Is this your first pinball machine? just asking to gauge the level of experience you might have repairing and disassembling.

The "setting" comment I made was not about the stuck ball up top on the metal plate.. It was about the game ending on the 3rd ball without it draining. As I was preparing to remove the glass to free the stuck ball, the game tallied up my final score as if the ball had drained and that game was over.

#10004 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

No, I have been in the "hobby" for 25 +years and currently own 25 pins.
I am not a young lad anymore but still do a lot of my own simple board repairs and maintenance on them.
I was just sort of "surprised" that the ball was hanging up there so often on a new pin but didn't take the time to really look at the issue before posting.
Also you would think Stern would have done a better job at securing that metal plate to the playfield in assembly.
Thanks for the response on how you "cured" the issue on your IM. I'll get to it myself when it annoys me enough which won't be long from now.
CuJo

Agree 100% with you. It is not the greatest design from a longevity or maintenance point of view, it is a terrible weak point.

I tried to ignored it for 300 games but it was just ruining the experience so I took it off, cleaned and reinstalled with the tape I mentioned before. I have put a few hundred games since and has not budged.
In case you missed it in here, a few people tried mylar with little success and it gets really damaged quickly so you end up maintaining more.

That whole section in my opinion, should have been routed out to accept a metal insert directly attached to the PF with screws. That would have been perfection and likely 0 maintenance...

#10005 2 years ago

I scotch taped the edge of the loop protector down that keeps coming up since I don't have a replacement yet from Stern. Its on " back order" . That's not going to " ruin" anything is it?
Also Do you guys find the replacement worth it? I mean what's different about it from the initial installation at the factory?

#10006 2 years ago

Agree 100% with you. It is not the greatest design from a longevity or maintenance point of view, it is a terrible weak point.
I tried to ignored it for 300 games but it was just ruining the experience so I took it off, cleaned and reinstalled with the tape I mentioned before. I have put a few hundred games since and has not budged.
In case you missed it in here, a few people tried mylar with little success and it gets really damaged quickly so you end up maintaining more.
That whole section in my opinion, should have been routed out to accept a metal insert directly attached to the PF with screws. That would have been perfection and likely 0 maintenance...

Read your replies, and looked up this whole thread about it. A lot of info thanks. Im just wondering the difference in a replacement. What's the point?

#10007 2 years ago

I installed the Cliffy carbon fiber loop protector…works like a charm. No more hang ups.

#10008 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I installed the Cliffy carbon fiber loop protector…works like a charm. No more hang ups.

How long have you been using it?

#10009 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Read your replies, and looked up this whole thread about it. A lot of info thanks. Im just wondering the difference in a replacement. What's the point?

You are welcome. I think the metal piece Stern uses is a great alternative to Mylar. I can't speak about other replacements made by others.
I notice a HUGE improvement just by replacing the adhesive under the metal so it properly attaches to the PF. The 3M tape I used is commercial grade, bonding increases over time and it is easily removable with isopropyl alcohol.

Put a few hundred game since and it has not moved a bit.

I think the problem is not the actual metal piece but poor installation at the factory. The double sided tape the used is very cheap and adhesion is weak. During break-in it curls up and pull it off.

I am not a fan of taping it over, as you mentioned, as I do not think it will last either.

My approach has shown almost no changes in almost 250 games since the change. The metal piece does need a break in period though, it will slightly curl at the beginning.

I recommend the 3M tape I mentioned before. It is used in high end electronics and other environments. It is designed to be removed easily too. It is the right product for this application. Nikon uses it to hold the plastic grips attached to the cameras in their pro grade cameras (that is how I found it)

I recommend it

#10010 2 years ago

You are welcome. I think the metal piece Stern uses is a great alternative to Mylar. I can't speak about other replacements made by others.
I notice a HUGE improvement just by replacing the adhesive under the metal so it properly attaches to the PF. The 3M tape I used is commercial grade, bonding increases over time and it is easily removable with isopropyl alcohol.
Put a few hundred game since and it has not moved a bit.
I think the problem is not the actual metal piece but poor installation at the factory. The double sided tape the used is very cheap and adhesion is weak. During break-in it curls up and pull it off.
I am not a fan of taping it over, as you mentioned, as I do not think it will last either.
My approach has shown almost no changes in almost 250 games since the change. The metal piece does need a break in period though, it will slightly curl at the beginning.
I recommend the 3M tape I mentioned before. It is used in high end electronics and other environments. It is designed to be removed easily too. It is the right product for this application. Nikon uses it to hold the plastic grips attached to the cameras in their pro grade cameras (that is how I found it)
I recommend it

Thank you!

#10011 2 years ago

Has anyone installed Pin monks Anubis figure on a premium? Head keeps sticking in the space between the cabinet and back panel when the gate rises.
Before I revert to stock plastic would appreciate any direction on an adjustment/fix.

B49135E7-4B59-4E87-A4C7-992A42A0E041 (resized).jpegB49135E7-4B59-4E87-A4C7-992A42A0E041 (resized).jpeg

#10012 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

I scotch taped the edge of the loop protector down that keeps coming up since I don't have a replacement yet from Stern. Its on " back order" . That's not going to " ruin" anything is it?
Also Do you guys find the replacement worth it? I mean what's different about it from the initial installation at the factory?

It depends why it's hanging the ball. Is it bent or is it just the tape letting it lift? If it's the tape you can probably re-tape it yourself. If it's bent you might need the replacement. (it's thin metal though so you can probably bend it back yourself)

I'll say I got my machine second hand and it had 2500 games on it with no protector and there is no visible damage. I got the protector and put it on myself and it's lasted several hundred games so far with no issues. I think if you clean the area well and apply it with pressure all over it should stick pretty well. Who knows how stern preps the area or applies pressure to it, if they just slap it on that would explain why it's coming off so soon for some people.

#10013 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

How long have you been using it?

I put Cliffy’s carbon fiber protector in about a month ago and it’s a definite improvement. The pin gets played daily and there has not been a single issue.

#10014 2 years ago

Ok,here is one I have not seen. IM with insider connected.

1998FD30-1CE5-45FA-8253-EE6F6CBE167F (resized).jpeg1998FD30-1CE5-45FA-8253-EE6F6CBE167F (resized).jpeg1B3B2586-68D9-4F68-B4FD-50B09468F9ED (resized).jpeg1B3B2586-68D9-4F68-B4FD-50B09468F9ED (resized).jpegC70FB52B-E9A1-49AD-B55D-C33A2F3E2F84 (resized).jpegC70FB52B-E9A1-49AD-B55D-C33A2F3E2F84 (resized).jpeg
#10015 2 years ago

It just came today,I have been waiting since June.

#10016 2 years ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

Ok,here is one I have not seen. IM with insider connected.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What happened to premium insider aprons having custom artwork etc? That's just a normal one with the right window changed

#10017 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Has anyone installed Pin monks Anubis figure on a premium? Head keeps sticking in the space between the cabinet and back panel when the gate rises.
Before I revert to stock plastic would appreciate any direction on an adjustment/fix.
[quoted image]

Yes mine works fine, check the back panel bracket screws mine were loose on delivery.

#10018 2 years ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

It just came today,I have been waiting since June.

congrats, this game is a blast. I got mine recently too, previous run (Sept). At first I thought the game was easy and as usual, the more I play it the more I suck! I can't explain it! lol
Anyway, enjoy! it is a blast.

#10019 2 years ago

Quick update on my sound issue that was caused due to the Spike CPU board. Apparently there is an issue with the amplifier and it requires replacement. Unfortunately I am now going on 4 months of no CPU board to learn this - and the part is not available. I am faced with a "board swap" for over $300 or send it to Stern via RMA for who knows what.

This sucks. Period. I have a gigantic paper weight right now. Rolling the dice with Stern in hopes they can fix or replace the board. I'm being told it most likely will be 2022.

#10020 2 years ago
Quoted from captaindorky:

Quick update on my sound issue that was caused due to the Spike CPU board. Apparently there is an issue with the amplifier and it requires replacement. Unfortunately I am now going on 4 months of no CPU board to learn this - and the part is not available. I am faced with a "board swap" for over $300 or send it to Stern via RMA for who knows what.
This sucks. Period. I have a gigantic paper weight right now. Rolling the dice with Stern in hopes they can fix or replace the board. I'm being told it most likely will be 2022.

Sux. That is the reality of the new, unserviceable tech.

#10021 2 years ago

Are there places on the board you could solder in a wire to get the line level output prior to the bad amplifier? Feed that to a Parts Express amp and you're back in business.

#10022 2 years ago

Maybe I can solder on to the board? I'm no expert. I just want my machine up and running.

Unserviceable tech sucks. Period. I have a few Williams/Bally games. I can fix some things. For items I can't, Chris Hibler is there to assist and he has been awesome.

I'm pissed. I'm at the point where once I have my machine up and running it may be gone just because. I'm disgusted by the lack of supply to repair machines. I don't have a large stable of Stern machines where I can just take another board out and swap it in and be patient.

I don't mean to be an ass regarding this. Just extremely frustrated.

#10023 2 years ago

Maybe I can solder on to the board? I'm no expert. I just want my machine up and running.
Unserviceable tech sucks. Period. I have a few Williams/Bally games. I can fix some things. For items I can't, Chris Hibler is there to assist and he has been awesome.
I'm pissed. I'm at the point where once I have my machine up and running it may be gone just because. I'm disgusted by the lack of supply to repair machines. I don't have a large stable of Stern machines where I can just take another board out and swap it in and be patient.
I don't mean to be an ass regarding this. Just extremely frustrated.

if you put your hands on it and make it worse, that is the end of the warranty for you. So you either fix it or do not bother. The components on the spike boards are tiny so it is not like soldering through board components on WPC, it is a bit different and requires the right equipment. It can be done, but I would not practice on it.
Take the board to somebody that can fix it? I would not attempt the repair if your equipment and experience are not on par. You will be out of warranty, and out $300+ for a new board.

Get your distro involved, get them to take a board form another game? while THEY wait for the repair?

#10024 2 years ago

I wish it were that easy.

I sent it in to a reputable repair guy who is frequently listed in these threads. He reports the amplifier parts are unavailable.

I've elected to go the RMA route with Stern. I figure if I go with them there should be some warranty associated with the replacement even though it will cost me out of pocket.

Not many decent options here. Hope the rest of you do not have to go through this. :/

#10025 2 years ago

I wish it were that easy.
I sent it in to a reputable repair guy who is frequently listed in these threads. He reports the amplifier parts are unavailable.
I've elected to go the RMA route with Stern. I figure if I go with them there should be some warranty associated with the replacement even though it will cost me out of pocket.
Not many decent options here. Hope the rest of you do not have to go through this. :/

I hope they look after you. Good luck.

#10026 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

What happened to premium insider aprons having custom artwork etc? That's just a normal one with the right window changed

I was surprised as well.It is ugly,and the plaque on the back box is hideous.I thought it would be a sticker I could remove.
Love the artwork on the game,now it has two black eyes.

94210C51-1492-4A8D-A816-96E4CF96EEAF (resized).jpeg94210C51-1492-4A8D-A816-96E4CF96EEAF (resized).jpegC48DAF16-24FF-4F5C-BD48-5B93061BDEA3 (resized).jpegC48DAF16-24FF-4F5C-BD48-5B93061BDEA3 (resized).jpeg
#10027 2 years ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

I was surprised as well.It is ugly,and the plaque on the back box is hideous.I thought it would be a sticker I could remove.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Check out the back panel magnetic cover from Wizard Mod. I will let them know about the new plaque, as they will have to adjust the sizing accordingly. Is this really needed for game play given you have a code reader at the front of the game?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10028 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Check out the back panel magnetic cover from Wizard Mod. I will let them know about the new plaque, as they will have to adjust the sizing accordingly. Is this really needed for game play given you have a code reader at the front of the game?
[quoted image]

Got these for my Maiden and my GOTG , they look amazing! Takes maybe a full minute to put on.

#10029 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Got these for my Maiden and my GOTG , they look amazing! Takes maybe a full minute to put on.

Heh those are the two games I got for mine as well. Maiden especially looks awesome

#10030 2 years ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Insider connected to the right on the back box is a sticker, you should be able to remove that.

#10031 2 years ago

Get your distro involved, get them to take a board form another game? while THEY wait for the repair?

This! Why are we paying for distributors if they're not doing shit?!?!

#10032 2 years ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

Hey, I see v1.09... not available from the Stern website yet? I wonder if there is anything besides IC added....

#10033 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Hey, I see v1.09... not available from the Stern website yet? I wonder if there is anything besides IC added....

Deadpool is in the same boat.
1.08 exists but 1.05 it's all that available right now from Stern's website.

I expect there will be a whack of code drops on US Thanksgiving. That's next week right? They(Stern) dropped about 6 code updates last Thanksgiving.
Let us be thankful for these code updates we are about to receive

#10034 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

[quoted image]

Do you have a link to the store for this? I thought it was wizardmod.com but the site seems broken

#10035 2 years ago

Very curious about the new code although I suspect it is only related to the code reader part only.

#10038 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

So are you saying that your metal is being replaced by Stern on the latest run of IM's?
None of the original IM's had this protector to my knowledge so I am assuming your IM is also from the latest run?

#10039 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I will let them know about the new plaque, as they will have to adjust the sizing accordingly. Is this really needed for game play given you have a code reader at the front of the game?

It's a sticker. And the mod is magnetic and will "stick" on top of it normally.
The qr code in the speaker panel is for you to sign up for the app. Which makes no sense on a home machine because you check in on the apron.
So just cover it with one of our mods or just remove the sticker.

#10040 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardMod:

It's a sticker. And the mod is magnetic and will "stick" on top of it normally.
The qr code in the speaker panel is for you to sign up for the app. Which makes no sense on a home machine because you check in on the apron.
So just cover it with one of our mods or just remove the sticker.

I got mine on order

#10041 2 years ago

I just got mine for GZ and Aerosmith yesterday. I like them so much I ordered for my IM and EHOH also. It takes about 2 weeks to receive your order. They arrive in a mailer tube so they have a curl on them. Best to reverse curl and stick back in the tube for 10 minutes or so. Only tools needed are a Torx screw driver to remove and reinstall the ID plate.
They sell a neat magnetic apron cover too.

PXL_20211116_182125363 (resized).jpgPXL_20211116_182125363 (resized).jpg
#10042 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

So are you saying that your metal is being replaced by Stern on the latest run of IM's?
None of the original IM's had this protector to my knowledge so I am assuming your IM is also from the latest run?

Yes, but its on " back order" so no idea when im getting it. The build date on my IM was this AUG.

#10043 2 years ago

I am looking for a few iron maiden flyers. I would like to get two of the pro, and two of the premium. Does anyone here have a few extras they would be willing to part with? If you do, please PM me. Thanks. Mìke

#10044 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

I am looking for a few iron maiden flyers. I would like to get two of the pro, and two of the premium. Does anyone here have a few extras they would be willing to part with? If you do, please PM me. Thanks. Mìke

They are usually available cheaply on ebay

#10045 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Pinball Life has the pro flyer - may also have the premium one.

https://www.pinballlife.com/iron-maiden-pro-flyer.html

#10046 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I'm getting mine delivered tomorrow. You want me to check something out on it?

#10047 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

This metal was added in the recent IM runs is the consensus, my August premium has it.

#10048 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I just got mine for GZ and Aerosmith yesterday. I like them so much I ordered for my IM and EHOH also. It takes about 2 weeks to receive your order. They arrive in a mailer tube so they have a curl on them. Best to reverse curl and stick back in the tube for 10 minutes or so. Only tools needed are a Torx screw driver to remove and reinstall the ID plate.
They sell a neat magnetic apron cover too.
[quoted image]

It looks great on that game. Really complements IM premium too.

#10049 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Working on replacing some of the songs with Pinball Browser. Likely stick with The Number of the Beast album. Songs I plan to add and replace existing tracks:
- The Prisoner
- Gangland
- Children of the Damned
- Invaders
Hoping to replace the track images at the start of the game as well.

Went with three new songs. Just need to adjust the volume and try to change the on screen icons.

#10050 2 years ago

New glass cover, a lot cheaper than the actual banner, around $15US.

BD25A994-93F9-4E13-A110-19B251978757 (resized).jpegBD25A994-93F9-4E13-A110-19B251978757 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 15,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 201 of 317.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/201 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.