(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,642 posts
  • 1,040 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by awpepa
  • Topic is favorited by 497 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6659 (resized).png
IMG_6658 (resized).png
IMG_6660 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6664 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6662 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5503 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240325_202244_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240325_202205_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
IMG_8122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8120 (resized).png
IMG_8121 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 313.
#9501 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Was told that my premium is coming next week which im super excited about! I have mando premium and godzilla premium coming as well but Maiden is the one Im really most excited about. I have the other Elwin games and love them. Have only played once on location but loved it despite not being a fan of the band.

So awesome

#9503 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Was told that my premium is coming next week which im super excited about! I have mando premium and godzilla premium coming as well but Maiden is the one Im really most excited about. I have the other Elwin games and love them. Have only played once on location but loved it despite not being a fan of the band.

To me IMDN is his best, having not played Godzilla of cause.

#9504 2 years ago

In the club!
drink holder comes standard Lol

E8C430CA-8B24-4800-826B-F28ACC95791A (resized).jpegE8C430CA-8B24-4800-826B-F28ACC95791A (resized).jpeg
#9505 2 years ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

In the club!
drink holder comes standard Lol
[quoted image]

Fellow lefty?

#9506 2 years ago
Quoted from OCP2:

Been a few days now with my nib pro, great pin but I started having 100% failure on my auto/manual launch after 2 days.
Going to try the fixes I’ve been reading about. It sucks cause i find the auto plunger really needs to be working properly for the multiball modes. I get lots of stdm off the left post then middle ramp.

Update: installed the shim, went from 100% failure ball hitting left post on the auto/manual plunger, to 100% success. Pin is set at 6.9 angle and ball eject power at default 255. I also had adjusted the shooter lane screw outwards, I’m not sure if it was the combination of both that did the job. Adjusting the shooter lane alone did not work.

I will also post this is the iron maiden issues thread in case someone misses it here. Thank you to everyone who posted the fixes. Now I can enjoy my trooper multi ball. Fingers crossed this does not come back.

#9507 2 years ago

Back to having the issue where the right flipper scores points when the ball isnt in play. VERY frustrating. Only happens once in a while and cant figure it out. Switch test doesnt show anything.

#9509 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Back to having the issue where the right flipper scores points when the ball isnt in play. VERY frustrating. Only happens once in a while and cant figure it out. Switch test doesnt show anything.

The switch is just too close, you need to open it up a bit

#9510 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

The switch is just too close, you need to open it up a bit

Thanks but im not sure how much more it can be. Plus thats causing a scoring issue? Just really weird.

flipper (resized).jpgflipper (resized).jpg
#9511 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

The flipper is not scoring points I’ll bet it’s the orb .That’s what happened to me every time I flipped it was registering it was that sensitive .I used needle nose pliers and crimped the lead to where i wanted it and 800 plays later never an issue again .Pm me if you want pictures i can send but not until later this evening .

#9512 2 years ago

I meant leaf not lead .

#9514 2 years ago

40 years ago today, Bruce joins Maiden.

11976008-F9C3-47AF-8E0F-4F2AB9DFC08D (resized).jpeg11976008-F9C3-47AF-8E0F-4F2AB9DFC08D (resized).jpeg
#9515 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Thanks but im not sure how much more it can be. Plus thats causing a scoring issue? Just really weird.
[quoted image]

Your shooter rod tip needs adjusting. That's not going to fix your scoring problem, just an observation.

#9516 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

It can happen with any machine with a switch that is set to a hair trigger or poorly attached to the machine such that it shakes on it's mounting. Newtons/captives/spinners/gates and other non-standard switches are a common culprit as they tend to be highly sensitive and whatever makes them unique tends to be heavy like a weight on a lever, but even a simple rollover could do it. It could even be a stray wire strand where the wires attach to the switch that brushes the other contact.

Whatever switch it is, it's either loose, malfunctioning or adjusted wrong. It can be triggered by anything that shakes the machine just the right way, but easy to go unnoticed in the chaos of a game. It's easy to notice with the flippers on maiden because you hit them to select a song or set up a skill shot while the rest of the machine is at rest.

Seen it specifically with the newton orb on the Premium, as well as just the normal target orb on the pro. The only way we figured out what switch it was on the pro was because it would award the mystery award if one was available. If you're not getting that, it might be another switch.

If switch test isn't finding anything for you, focus your search on likely culprits. Finger test them for a hair trigger or they are loosely mounted. You can narrow it down by noting the amount of points awarded and any other indicators like lights/callouts/counters. For example, look at the power pyramid counters before an after to see if one changed. If it's really nasty, you could even dump all the audits to usb, trigger it once, dump them again and then compare each value line by line and see exactly what internal counters changed.

#9517 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

It can happen with any machine with a switch that is set to a hair trigger or poorly attached to the machine such that it shakes on it's mounting. Newtons/captives/spinners/gates and other non-standard switches are a common culprit as they tend to be highly sensitive and whatever makes them unique tends to be heavy like a weight on a lever, but even a simple rollover could do it. It could even be a stray wire strand where the wires attach to the switch that brushes the other contact.
Whatever switch it is, it's either loose, malfunctioning or adjusted wrong. It can be triggered by anything that shakes the machine just the right way, but easy to go unnoticed in the chaos of a game. It's easy to notice with the flippers on maiden because you hit them to select a song or set up a skill shot while the rest of the machine is at rest.
Seen it specifically with the newton orb on the Premium, as well as just the normal target orb on the pro. The only way we figured out what switch it was on the pro was because it would award the mystery award if one was available. If you're not getting that, it might be another switch.
If switch test isn't finding anything for you, focus your search on likely culprits. Finger test them for a hair trigger or they are loosely mounted. You can narrow it down by noting the amount of points awarded and any other indicators like lights/callouts/counters. For example, look at the power pyramid counters before an after to see if one changed. If it's really nasty, you could even dump all the audits to usb, trigger it once, dump them again and then compare each value line by line and see exactly what internal counters changed.

So the sound when you hit the flipper is the sound from the " Power ball" Clairvoyant ball? One on the bottom left. I pulled back the leaf so it's not touching anymore. Anymore than what I did it will not register a hit. Also when I hit it with my finger during the test the ball gets stuck in a forward position a lot and that SQUARE ( pictured ) during the switch test stays on. Sometimes it stays on even if the ball isn't stuck like that. Some games it happens other times it just starts happening randomly.

IMG_2831 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_2831 (1) (resized).jpg
#9518 2 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Your shooter rod tip needs adjusting. That's not going to fix your scoring problem, just an observation.

Done.

#9519 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

So the sound when you hit the flipper is the sound from the " Power ball" Clairvoyant ball? One on the bottom left. I pulled back the leaf so it's not touching anymore. Anymore than what I did it will not register a hit. Also when I hit it with my finger during the test the ball gets stuck in a forward position a lot and that SQUARE ( pictured ) during the switch test stays on. Sometimes it stays on even if the ball isn't stuck like that. Some games it happens other times it just starts happening randomly.
[quoted image]

Is the sound it is making the one that is normally made for the mystery orb and/or power jackpot cash in? If it is, that's a good indicator it's a problem with the clairvoyant ball mechanism or the underlying switch it actuates. Particularly if it's awarding any available mystery award or power jackpot.

I have a pro so I'm not super familiar with the the orb mechanism on the premium so I'd seek confirmation from stern, your distro or someone who has spent more time inside a premium. Having said all that, what you're describing generally sounds like what I was getting at.

It sounds like newton ball itself or the switch mechanism it is attached to is goofed up and it either fires too easily or is even resting in the wrong position in the first place. I don't know if the newton ball is a normally open or normally closed switch, but either way when something shakes it just right (the flipper shaking the table, a ball hitting it) it jiggles it. If the switch is resting in the right state, the jiggle triggers it. If it's resting in the wrong state the machine likely debounces it, ignoring the fact that it's triggered until it sees it reset. The jiggle breaks the connection momentarily and then when it falls back it's seen as a new switch hit.

#9520 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

[quoted image]

You can maybe try putting a piece of tape, business card, or some other insulator across the suspect switch contacts (if it is 'normally open') and see if it solves the issue when you play a game. Like @craif, I have a Pro, so don't know how easy it is to try that on a Prem. That might be a little easier than tinkering with a bunch of switches to isolate the culprit. When you find it, then you can gap it correctly.

#9521 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Is the sound it is making the one that is normally made for the mystery orb and/or power jackpot cash in? If it is, that's a good indicator it's a problem with the clairvoyant ball mechanism or the underlying switch it actuates. Particularly if it's awarding any available mystery award or power jackpot.
I have a pro so I'm not super familiar with the the orb mechanism on the premium so I'd seek confirmation from stern, your distro or someone who has spent more time inside a premium. Having said all that, what you're describing generally sounds like what I was getting at.
It sounds like newton ball itself or the switch mechanism it is attached to is goofed up and it either fires too easily or is even resting in the wrong position in the first place. I don't know if the newton ball is a normally open or normally closed switch, but either way when something shakes it just right (the flipper shaking the table, a ball hitting it) it jiggles it. If the switch is resting in the right state, the jiggle triggers it. If it's resting in the wrong state the machine likely debounces it, ignoring the fact that it's triggered until it sees it reset. The jiggle breaks the connection momentarily and then when it falls back it's seen as a new switch hit.

Ok I got the leaf switch on the bottom left Newton ball to the point where if I open it up any further it won’t activate. And I moved around the wires around it to see if that was doing anything . The white / black wire and yellow black wire. Nothing was activating. Played a few games tonight and so far so good. But that happened last week also then it went back to doing it. So not sure what’s up. NIB also

#9522 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Ok I got the lead switch on the bottom left Newton ball to the point where if I open it up any further it won’t activate. And I moved around the wires around it to see if that was doing anything . The white / black wire and yellow black wire. Nothing was activating. Played a few games tonight and so far so good. But that happened last week also then it went back to doing it. So not sure what’s up. NIB also

Glad its working for now. Good work!

If it comes up again and you haven't already I'd really suggest if you haven't bug the hell out of your distributor or stern directly. There's hundreds of stories from good and bad about after purchase support. Maybe nothing. Maybe overnighted multiple parts and and they walk you through dialing it in. The worst that can happen is losing an hour that you would have been annoyed during anyway. Good or bad you're better off putting it in front of them on day 10 of the warranty vs 100 days after it expires.

#9523 2 years ago

I’m sorry I’m new to this club and haven’t had the time to read through this entire thread, but has anyone had an issue with the ball hitting the end of the ramp, where it drops to the in lane, and bouncing off the ramp. When it bounces off it’s 50/50 if it drops in the outlane or in front of the slings. Any fix for this?

#9524 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Glad its working for now. Good work!
If it comes up again and you haven't already I'd really suggest if you haven't bug the hell out of your distributor or stern directly. There's hundreds of stories from good and bad about after purchase support. Maybe nothing. Maybe overnighted multiple parts and and they walk you through dialing it in. The worst that can happen is losing an hour that you would have been annoyed during anyway. Good or bad you're better off putting it in front of them on day 10 of the warranty vs 100 days after it expires.

Yeah Stern has been emailing me about trying to fix it but its HARD doing anything that way. Especially when I suck at this and have a ton of questions. I wish at least a phone call or facetime so they can walk me through it like you said.

#9525 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I’m sorry I’m new to this club and haven’t had the time to read through this entire thread, but has anyone had an issue with the ball hitting the end of the ramp, where it drops to the in lane, and bouncing off the ramp. When it bounces off it’s 50/50 if it drops in the outlane or in front of the slings. Any fix for this?

Mine had a nasty burr on one of the welds near the wireform exit that made a fast ball hop off. I just ground it down with a dremel, and it's been perfect since. I have had other machines where the wireform needed to be bent a little to keep the ball from flying off. It's a somewhat common problem, but can usually be fixed with a little tweaking.

#9526 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Mine had a nasty burr on one of the welds near the wireform exit that made a fast ball hop off. I just ground it down with a dremel, and it's been perfect since. I have had other machines where the wireform needed to be bent a little to keep the ball from flying off. It's a somewhat common problem, but can usually be fixed with a little tweaking.

Thanks, I’ll look into that and see if that works. It happens much more on the left ramp than it does the right ramp, but can be frustrating when it drains right from the ramp.

#9527 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Thanks, I’ll look into that and see if that works. It happens much more on the left ramp than it does the right ramp, but can be frustrating when it drains right from the ramp.

Definitely. In my case I couldn't tell what was happening until I held the ball in my hand and ran it along that section of the wireform. Then it was very obvious and you could feel what the ball was hitting. Many times it's just a slight angle issue though, and a slight bend is needed, or even just a washer or two under a mounting point. Good thing is, wireforms are pretty easy to bend. Just be careful not to overdo it or you could pop a weld joint. Usually a little tweak can make a big difference.

#9528 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I was getting a few airballs on fast balls after around 100 plays but not enough to take the glass off. Around 200 plays if the ball came down the left wireform slowly it would get stuck in a pinch between the drop hole and the sling plastic.

When I pulled the glass off I found that the nut that anchors the wireform to the top of the sling had come a bit loose and shifted the wireform just enough that it would pinch the ball. The same nut on the right had come a bit loose as well. I recentered the holes, tightened the nuts and haven't had an airball or stuck ball since. I speculate the tension of the wireform was acting like a spring launching the airballs.

#9529 2 years ago

Hey gang, did thread search so if I missed an answer to this issue apologies. Ive got a premium Maiden and am having a weird issue with the sarcophagus lock misbehaving. The mechanism just rapidly lowers and raises constantly now during gameplay, eventually it comes to a stop in the fully lowered position. I should mention that previously I was having an issue with it with the sarcophagus ball not always registering a hit to light MUMMY. Had a service call done on it and the tech replaced a faulty part. Things seemed fine but now this raising/lowering is suddenly happening. Anyone else have something like this occur or thoughts on to what the issue may be?

#9530 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

Hey gang, did thread search so if I missed an answer to this issue apologies. Ive got a premium Maiden and am having a weird issue with the sarcophagus lock misbehaving. The mechanism just rapidly lowers and raises constantly now during gameplay, eventually it comes to a stop in the fully lowered position. I should mention that previously I was having an issue with it with the sarcophagus ball not always registering a hit to light MUMMY. Had a service call done on it and the tech replaced a faulty part. Things seemed fine but now this raising/lowering is suddenly happening. Anyone else have something like this occur or thoughts on to what the issue may be?

THANK YOU for not being lazy and doing a thread search.

It's probably your front (closest to you) switch in the lock mech. It can stick. Search for rollover switch and you'll find many solutions. You can search my history for my solution. I modded the switch leaf (trigger), which was pretty easy. That stock switch can be a bitch.

#9531 2 years ago

I am having the shooter lane issue as well, that I have not been able to adjust away, but my issue seems to be more of a warped playfield. I also notice occasionally, as the ball nears the flippers, its almost like there is a magnet under the playfield and my ball does some wonky stuff and moves in un-natural directions that happens several times a game. After looking into it more I found some playfield anomalies I thought I'd show you guys what I got going on before I send these pics and vids off to Stern. I have a rather large warp at the edge of the playfield you can see with the naked eye. Put a steel ruler on it and you can see its at least an 1/8" warp at the edge. Further up the playfield just beyond the right flipper is a sizable hump (this is where I am getting the weird ball movement) and twist in the playfield ever further up that can easily be seen with the ruler. The playfield does not sit flat when resting on the hanger brackets. The right side hanger sits up at least an 1/8th inch and when you press down the playfield twists. Whether I leave the gap at the hanger or press it into place so both hangers are flush with the frame the twist and hump are always on the playfield so shimming the hanger will not fix this. There is nothing under the playfield holding it up or catching on something. This is affecting game play and I've only had this NIB game around 3 weeks. Here's a couple videos I took.

and

20210928_102148 (resized).jpg20210928_102148 (resized).jpg20210928_102213 (resized).jpg20210928_102213 (resized).jpg20210928_102217 (resized).jpg20210928_102217 (resized).jpg20210928_102223 (resized).jpg20210928_102223 (resized).jpg20210928_102251 (resized).jpg20210928_102251 (resized).jpg20210928_102614 (resized).jpg20210928_102614 (resized).jpg20210928_102619 (resized).jpg20210928_102619 (resized).jpgmarked (resized).jpgmarked (resized).jpg
#9532 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_tagram:

Here's a couple videos I took.
and
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is some high quality documentation. Hopefully just a one off that slipped through that gets fixed no questions asked.

#9533 2 years ago

I don't know where else to post this stupid question. What are the small metal open circular fasteners that go on the reject button after the spring in the coin door called? Both of mine went flying into the abyss when I went to replace the coin buttons and I need to order some new ones. My search is failing me.

edit: this thing

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9534 2 years ago

New to the club!! Just got mine yesterday, been waiting to buy one since it came out, but finally pulled the trigger.

BF00FDD1-73A4-4D06-90F3-EA3A7A4B2DA2 (resized).jpegBF00FDD1-73A4-4D06-90F3-EA3A7A4B2DA2 (resized).jpegF49CD81B-278F-4ECE-87DD-61D0BB8669F1 (resized).jpegF49CD81B-278F-4ECE-87DD-61D0BB8669F1 (resized).jpeg
#9535 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

New to the club!! Just got mine yesterday, been waiting to buy one since it came out, but finally pulled the trigger.
[quoted image][quoted image]

where is that topper from and how much?

#9536 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

where is that topper from and how much?

Tilttopper.com.

#9537 2 years ago
Quoted from Chet_Hardbody:

I don't know where else to post this stupid question. What are the small metal open circular fasteners that go on the reject button after the spring in the coin door called? Both of mine went flying into the abyss when I went to replace the coin buttons and I need to order some new ones. My search is failing me.

E Clips
https://www.pinballlife.com/e-clips.html?Category_Code=
Most hardwares would probably have them too.

#9538 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

E Clips

Thank you!

#9539 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

E Clips

Find them ! Lmao

#9540 2 years ago

I’ll always wonder ,until the day I die about the yellow T-Mold .

#9541 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’ll always wonder ,until the day I die about the yellow T-Mold .

Did you replace it? I’m highly considering changing to another color..probably blue.

#9542 2 years ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Did you replace it? I’m highly considering changing to another color..probably blue.

light blue all the way works on both the original and replacement.

4026039D-DD43-48E6-AA7E-0583A4D52ED0 (resized).png4026039D-DD43-48E6-AA7E-0583A4D52ED0 (resized).png9737BD50-4A21-44BC-A66A-089DDE836861 (resized).png9737BD50-4A21-44BC-A66A-089DDE836861 (resized).png
#9543 2 years ago

The only one they got right IMO is DP

#9544 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

E Clips

Harbor Freight has a giant assortment pack for about 6 bucks that should last most people multiple lifetimes. Stern's current supply chain issues can be traced to the one they bought around the time they produced LOTR finally running out.

#9546 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy some of the small model planes for the right side of a playfield? Thanks

#9547 2 years ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Does anyone know where I can buy some of the small model planes for the right side of a playfield? Thanks

Mezel has them, I’m not sure if this is what you are think of.

https://mezelmods.com/collections/iron-maiden-legacy/products/iron-maiden-pinball-illuminated-war-plane

#9548 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

The only one they got right IMO is DP

The light blue looks almost identical to what’s what’s on my LZ and I was leaning toward the dark blue (or purple if I could find some) would match nicely.

#9549 2 years ago

After looking the ramp over I’ve noticed that the last horizontal support, which attaches the ramp to the sling post is welded up into the path of the ball. The ball will hit the top of the horizontal piece seen at the orange arrow. The yellow circle shows how much higher the horizontal is welded vs the blue circle which shows the horizontal under the main wire form like it should be.

Have I outlined this properly so that it makes sense? Is this how it is on other machines? The ball does hit this horizontal piece on the right ramp but a lot less which is why I get far less balls falling off the right ramp. It appears I will have to dremel down the middle of the wire form so the ball clears this section. Any thoughts?

302B4DF6-8D49-4A83-8A0F-1A3C17163007 (resized).jpeg302B4DF6-8D49-4A83-8A0F-1A3C17163007 (resized).jpeg8FE5CC7E-C1E4-499F-8C9F-31AED3CBDFCF (resized).jpeg8FE5CC7E-C1E4-499F-8C9F-31AED3CBDFCF (resized).jpeg

#9550 2 years ago

Monk Here is what mine looks like, the bar goes all the way across and protrudes the other side and does not make contact with the ball as it passes over… I’d be a bit put off, that would be really hard to bend and more than likely would break the weld. I’d at least put an email into stern if it’s a NIB pin.

6A0BCCD0-AB27-4298-BA88-0C59E01AEA54 (resized).jpeg6A0BCCD0-AB27-4298-BA88-0C59E01AEA54 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 15,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 313.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/191?hl=brickbuilder14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.