(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 9,805 posts
  • 775 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by Anony
  • Topic is favorited by 357 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1E8EEB5D-8EFC-4B00-8E21-E735BCE04F70 (resized).jpeg
20211023_175254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4224 (resized).JPG
IMG_4217 (resized).JPG
PXL_20211023_022215591 (resized).jpg
20210928_102223 (resized).jpg
20210928_102217 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211020_185002970 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211018_144631147 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211018_144637455 (resized).jpg
56C71030-EAB8-445C-BBDD-732C6EB841CF (resized).jpeg
0DC38502-2E1A-4415-A6DA-8D7064D8A23B (resized).png
maiden (resized).jpg
65535887312__544C691F-899D-47E8-82B2-1F3E77F96EFD (resized).jpeg
8760D1B2-AE49-4511-8933-987C06EE89B1 (resized).jpeg
A93F2B78-6231-4914-8F1B-963DC5AEBDE7 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 9805 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 197.
#9351 38 days ago

What do you guys have speech attenuation at? I have mine at -25 but it still seems to low and the music is a little drowned out with that. Trying to find a balance . Any suggestions will help thanks!

#9352 38 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

It’s home[quoted image]

You could easily fit two more pins in there when you get rid of the Golden Tee.

Other than IM is bad ass, that was my first thought - is there a rehab for this addiction?

#9353 38 days ago

We've had our NIB IMDN Premium for one week now with 92 plays on it (most of them mine). Wanted to share some initial thoughts and welcome any input on some of the items below.

Overall, I've never had an adrenaline rush on a pin such as I've experienced with this. I don't know how else to describe it - it's an incredible ride. I'm admittedly new to the hobby, so my experience is limited to like 5-6 pins. However, this thing grabs you by the throat, screams in your face and dares you to play it. And play it you will, until your adrenal glands are exhausted and you haul your sorry ass to bed, wishing the last thing you heard wasn't a call-out pointing out your failures. It has the shots, the music (I'm a heavy metal guitar slinging guy so that helps), the call-outs, the lights, the scoring/rules, etc....I can't think of a single thing I don't like about it.

NIB Issues: The only main issue I have is the ball getting stuck between the sarcophagus lock and the ramp - took me some time looking through the posts (again) to find the solution - I ordered the plastic part fix from Mezel Mods. A no brainer because it's happened about 6 times and it's a glass off fix. Other than that, I can recall twice where the Sarcophagus lock shot didn't register, so had to put a 2nd shot up there to get it to register - not a big deal at all - very, very low percentage issue. Other than that everything is working flawlessly (knock on wood).

Surprises?: The sound. Seems to me this pin has much better overall sound than my Led Zep LE - I put a PinWoofer in Zep and it was night/day difference. I was ready to order the PinWoofer for IMDN but am re-thinking it now because it's surprisingly serviceable so curious if anyone has thoughts on this.

Artwork?: Pictures don't do it justice. It's crazy cool looking.

Flipper Fade?: I had a 2 1/2 hour session last night. Noticed it a bit, so I'm leaning toward putting PinMonk cooling fans in it. I did it for Zep, just to hit that dang right ramp backhand after 30-45 minutes of playing. I'm anticipating some lengthy play sessions on this thing so will monitor this - doesn't seem to be a must have, so we'll see.....

Outlane posts?: It came with the right outlane post in the most difficult position (3rd slot away) and the left outlane post in the middle position. Both have 3 positions. Does anyone know if this is how they all ship, or is it just random depending on who is putting the machine together? I've noticed with all 4 of my NIB Sterns that it's always different - there's been no consistency on outlane post settings with any of those 4 pins. Contemplating moving the right outlane to the middle position, just for OCD purposes (ha).

Shots?: Through the pops, up the left ramp, into the sarcophagus lock. Um, yea. Most satisfying shot I've experienced. I also love the plunge - you can do so many different things with it and trying the different skill shots is a game within itself.

Anyway, wanted to share some thoughts. Please feel free to hit me back on anything.

#9354 38 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

You could easily fit two more pins in there when you get rid of the Golden Tee.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"637cffdeae3b6e1a300931bc10250d6f7debc30b-1631900881-1800"};
//]]>

Other than IM is bad ass, that was my first thought - is there a rehab for this addiction?

Hahah yup Deadpool is going there come January “ hopefully” . Trying to sell the golden tee as we speak !

#9355 38 days ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

Got my pinball life order 2 hours before work start, so was able to replace the two main coil stops on the flippers preemptivly, put 6 fresh balls in and put in the premium cyborg Eddie figure.
Moving on up

Do you have part numbers for the coil stops? And, what kind of balls did you put in. Just curious. I’ve got a new maiden premium on the way. Thanks!

#9356 38 days ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Do you have part numbers for the coil stops? And, what kind of balls did you put in. Just curious. I’ve got a new maiden premium on the way. Thanks!

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

These are what I use- I buy 50 or so at a time.
https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/

#9357 38 days ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Someone posted the part number for the coil stops.

I just got the balls that pinball life sell for the time being, I've tried ninjas in the past and like them alot.

#9358 38 days ago

Curious if new owners pro/premium can verify if Stern factory installed the metal orbit guard protecting the back lane from target ball drops?

#9359 38 days ago

The Neca 8” replacement Eddie figures seem like they’d be too tall! Are there smaller ones with the same quality?

image (resized).jpg
#9360 38 days ago

So the mummy ball isn’t working already . Ugh!! when I hit it nothing happens. The lights flash but when I hit it nothing happens anymore. Any ideas?

#9361 38 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

So the mummy ball isn’t working already . Ugh!! when I hit it nothing happens. The lights flash but when I hit it nothing happens anymore. Any ideas?

Does it register in the switch test? Does it work when you manually press it? Did you lift the pf and double check for loose connection or lose wires?

#9362 38 days ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

Does it register in the switch test? Does it work when you manually press it? Did you lift the pf and double check for loose connection or lose wires?

Nothing happens when I hit it by hand. It was working for the first hour of play today.the switch says it’s ok in the menu.
Should I loosen the screw and bring it down more? No loose wires I can see of.
BA8484D9-D0AF-46D2-A082-DA98CCF88D47 (resized).jpeg

#9363 38 days ago

Also I get points for just hitting the right flipper without shooting the ball. NO idea why that’s happening . Awesome! Hahah anyone here ever have that issue?

#9364 38 days ago

OK you get the premium or LE and I’ve got a pro. Looking at that picture, it looks like the switch blades are closed and not gapped. Anyone else?

#9365 38 days ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

Outlane posts?: It came with the right outlane post in the most difficult position (3rd slot away) and the left outlane post in the middle position.

My pro showed up like this as well and was curious. I think I'm fine with it but considering opening them both up. I think the torture is half the fun

#9366 38 days ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

OK you get the premium or LE and I’ve got a pro. Looking at that picture, it looks like the switch blades are closed and not gapped. Anyone else?

Premium.

#9367 38 days ago

Can you or hopefully someone else send a picture of how they are supposed to look? Appreciate any help with this.

#9368 38 days ago
Quoted from Vino:

Curious if new owners pro/premium can verify if Stern factory installed the metal orbit guard protecting the back lane from target ball drops?

Received my premium NIB 1 week ago. See pic. Looks like this is a yes - a metal guard is on the back lane orbit, underneath the target. I'm assuming this is what you are referring to.

Drop target orbit metal protector (resized).jpg
#9369 38 days ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

Received my premium NIB 1 week ago. See pic. Looks like this is a yes - a metal guard is on the back lane orbit, underneath the target. I'm assuming this is what you are referring to.
[quoted image]

Sweet! Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for - thank you sir!

#9370 38 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Nothing happens when I hit it by hand. It was working for the first hour of play today.the switch says it’s ok in the menu.
[quoted image]

The Hex-metal-part came loose and now pushes the switch down permanently.

#9371 37 days ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

The Hex-metal-part came loose and now pushes the switch down permanently.

The “ pole/screw “ thing that goes into the ball? I tightened that up all the way. Same thing is still happening .

#9372 37 days ago

Please make use of the search function. This has been covered many, many times.

Quoted from ExSquid:

The “ pole/screw “ thing that goes into the ball? I tightened that up all the way. Same thing is still happening .

#9373 37 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

How exactly does one search for "pole/screw" thing though? It not an exactly a specific question.
In the time it took you to tell him that, you could have linked what you are talking about instead. Not everyone who likes pinball is familiar with internet forum tools. Myself included.

#9374 37 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Thanks for the help with the “ search function” !!!!!

#9375 37 days ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

How exactly does one search for "pole/screw" thing though? It not an exactly a specific question.
In the time it took you to tell him that, you could have linked what you are talking about instead. Not everyone who likes pinball is familiar with internet forum tools. Myself included.

Thank you, I’m still learning most of this and probably sound like an idiot trying to describe the problems I’m having with my 2 machines when I do have them. But again I’m still learning and would like to get my hands dirty trying to fix things myself.

#9376 37 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Please make use of some common decency. New people are not aware of the search option or know what key word to use. People like you really make this forum look bad and can turn new people off. Try to be decent, takes little effort. We all can’t be experts like you.

#9377 37 days ago
Quoted from Vino:

Yes, metal protector is there from factory

#9378 37 days ago

The word, "please" means I'm politely suggesting that new members make use of the search function to avoid cluttering threads.

I was told this, and I'm glad I was. I now make good use of the search function. If you don't like constructive criticism ....

#9379 37 days ago

I’ll be getting my premium this week! New in box! Woo hoo! My first NIB Machine. Now I need to get rid of something!

#9380 37 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Thank you, I’m still learning most of this and probably sound like an idiot trying to describe the problems I’m having with my 2 machines when I do have them. But again I’m still learning and would like to get my hands dirty trying to fix things myself.

We all had to start at the beginning at some point, so don’t feel like an idiot for asking questions.

#9381 37 days ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

[quoted image]

Does anyone know what the part number is for the metal guard Back lane protector? I had e mailed stern to see about getting one but never heard back.

#9382 37 days ago

#9383 37 days ago

Stupid question, how is it that I see so many post for huo games that'll have like 200-400 plays or whatever when they've had it for a bit. But on my iron maiden that I just got a week ago, I already have close to 450 plays on it. And I don't even feel like I've been able to dial in all the shots yet.

The hardest shots for me is the right orbit and the left spinner. Not sure if it's the same for everyone or not

#9384 37 days ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

Stupid question, how is it that I see so many post for huo games that'll have like 200-400 plays or whatever when they've had it for a bit. But on my iron maiden that I just got a week ago, I already have close to 450 plays on it. And I don't even feel like I've been able to dial in all the shots yet.
The hardest shots for me is the right orbit and the left spinner. Not sure if it's the same for everyone or not

Many may come from people with larger collections so they dont get the constant play like people with one or two games in the lineup

#9385 37 days ago

Just wanted to add on that I also have had my IM premium for a week now. I have added a shaker motor, gel inserts for mode and loop jackpot lights, Titans for flippers (red) translucent for slings. This is my first pin and have dived head first into this awesome world! I have had 2 issues 1. The orb newton ball not working. Fixed it by uncresing the post putting loctite on it and gapping the switch. 2nd as mentioned a few tiime the sarcophagus lock doesn't register sometimes. Absolutely love this machine so fun and frustrating at the same time! That left ramp shot feels so good when I actually make it!

20210915_180733 (resized).jpg20210915_180738 (resized).jpg
#9386 37 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

[quoted image]

Screw in that post (you can see the threads in you picture). That probably backed out, holding the leafs together. How much do you screw in, enough for the leafs to separate. Pain in the @ss, I’m still tuning mine (as it still doesn’t register all the time).

#9387 37 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

You may have gone too far and the leafs aren’t touching when the Newton ball moves.

#9388 37 days ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

When you are really good you only need one ball a day… Joking.
Some guys just don’t play their machines.

#9389 36 days ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

I see so many post for huo games that'll have like 200-400 plays or whatever

Also consider that unless something has changed with stern pins, resetting the code or updating will bring the play count back to zero. At least that was how it was pre-spike.

Not implying anyone on pinside is dishonest, but it could happen. I put little weight on total plays.

#9390 36 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Can you or hopefully someone else send a picture of how they are supposed to look? Appreciate any help with this.

See the stack of leaf switches (circled)? Those should not be touching. As the newton gets hit, that pole is going to wiggle inside that little plastic cup. As it is hit and shifts positions, it should close those leaf switches.

Try getting that pole at a perfect height so those leaf switches are not touching when it is at rest, but VERY close so that when it gets hit, they close.

Hope this helps.

pasted_image (resized).png
#9391 36 days ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

See the stack of leaf switches (circled)? Those should not be touching. As the newton gets hit, that pole is going to wiggle inside that little plastic cup. As it is hit and shifts positions, it should close those leaf switches.
Try getting that pole at a perfect height so those leaf switches are not touching when it is at rest, but VERY close so that when it gets hit, they close.
Hope this helps.[quoted image]

Thanks had a friend stop by and that's what he did. So far so good!! But we couldn't figure out why the right flipper is scoring points for no reason, like when I hit the start button to start a game 2 "EDDIE" letters get collected immediately and then the right flipper every time its pressed scores points even without shooting the ball into the playfield. Very frustrating and weird.

#9392 36 days ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

See the stack of leaf switches (circled)? Those should not be touching

Totally true!! but to be more precise the 2 blades closest to the plastic piece that has the cup on the end shouldn't be touching, the bottom blade/leaf is the adjuster for tension (for want of a better term)

#9393 36 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

But we couldn't figure out why the right flipper is scoring points for no reason, like when I hit the start button to start a game 2 "EDDIE" letters get collected immediately and then the right flipper every time its pressed scores points even without shooting the ball into the playfield. Very frustrating and weird.

That's usually from the newton ball adjustment being too close which makes it SUPER sensitive from vibration, in this case from the flipper mech

#9394 36 days ago
Quoted from Mancave:

That's usually from the newton ball adjustment being too close which makes it SUPER sensitive from vibration, in this case from the flipper mech

ugh, so I finally have it working but its still not enough? When you say to close, do you mean the screw? Because that's as tight as can be.

#9395 36 days ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Totally true!! but to be more precise the 2 blades closest to the plastic piece that has the cup on the end shouldn't be touching, the bottom blade/leaf is the adjuster for tension (for want of a better term)

Right. This could be another point of adjustment.

#9396 36 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

ugh, so I finally have it working but its still not enough? When you say to close, do you mean the screw? Because that's as tight as can be.

You'll want to make sure you know which switch is firing when you hit the flipper. In the diagnostics, you should look for a switch test. It's basically a mode that will show exactly which switch is being pressed. Once you're there, hit the flipper to determine which one is firing. If it's the newton ball, you'll need to go back and gap those leaf switches a bit more. It needs to be enough gap so that it doesn't touch with vibration, but not too much gap that it closes with vibration.

#9397 36 days ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

That’s an above average number of plays in a week. If you’re averaging a 5 minute game, you’ve been playing 5 and a half hours a day for a week. That’s a lot.

But yeah, it’s funny when games go to market with like 100-200 plays. I’ll do that in a few weekends.

#9398 36 days ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Totally true!! but to be more precise the 2 blades closest to the plastic piece that has the cup on the end shouldn't be touching, the bottom blade/leaf is the adjuster for tension (for want of a better term)</blockquote

You'll want to make sure you know which switch is firing when you hit the flipper. In the diagnostics, you should look for a switch test. It's basically a mode that will show exactly which switch is being pressed. Once you're there, hit the flipper to determine which one is firing. If it's the newton ball, you'll need to go back and gap those leaf switches a bit more. It needs to be enough gap so that it doesn't touch with vibration, but not too much gap that it closes with vibration.

Ok ill check it when I get some time later thanks.

#9399 36 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Yeah sorry, by "too close" i mean the adjustment in the switch blades.

#9400 35 days ago

So on top of all the other problems I'm having , I was scrolling through the menu and hit the wrong button on the settings and set " easy mode" on! I put it back on " medium" because I'm guessing that's what it was originally set as. Anyone know what the factory default is? Also what the heck is "home mode"? Is that super easy or something?

EDIT: also Directors cut?

There are 9805 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 197.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside