(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,592 posts
  • 1,038 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 497 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2024-03-18 15.28.14 (resized).jpg
IMG_4171 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4166 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4165 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4167 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20240316_162345 (resized).jpg
20240312_134332 (resized).jpg
20240312_172201 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240311_231711952 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240311_210431677 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240312_002728435 (resized).jpg
IMG_6312 (resized).jpeg
2024-03-09 19.26.49 (resized).jpg
2024-03-09 19.25.51 (resized).jpg
2024-03-09 19.27.12 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 312.
#851 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I replaced all the cool white Stern LEDs in the GI on my Pro with Comet warm white 2835 frosted LEDs today and it is a huge improvement! It really makes the artwork pop and warms it up vs. the cool LEDs which wash out the artwork. I'll try to get some pics although it can be hard to photograph.

The same thought occured to me too. Seens like the warn colors would benefit from warm white bulbs.

#852 5 years ago

If I ever end up owning this pin, i'd probably add a few songs from 'Somewhere in Time' like the self-titled track and 'the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.'

#853 5 years ago

I love both of those tracks man but how would you change/add song selection graphics?
Kinda sad but I don't think Stern will ever add any more tracks. I think they might/probably will do a live track selection a la ACDC eventually. I hope.

#854 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Ok. Apparently I don't got it. I extracted the file. Now it shows this. Tried to install and the game still boots normally

Extracting the zip created a folder - you need to open that folder and put the contents of it at the top level of the removable drive, not the zip itself and the folder like you have it now.

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I love both of those tracks man but how would you change/add song selection graphics?
Kinda sad but I don't think Stern will ever add any more tracks. I think they might/probably will do a live track selection a la ACDC eventually. I hope.

Ah, you're right. Forgot about that. I wish they did some kind of fan vote like they did for Metallica.

#856 5 years ago

Lockdown bar damage on the front cab. From factory it is way too tight.

IMG_9271 (resized).JPGIMG_9271 (resized).JPG

#857 5 years ago

When I saw the track listing, I immediately thought, this is pretty much Live After Death, their most beloved live record, and well deserved.

#858 5 years ago

I sorta requested it. It cost more to pick your # but well worth it I think.

Quoted from Coindork:

DUDE!!!
You got number 22, thats friggin awesome.
What a great serial number for an IM pin.
Only thing better would be if there was a serial number 666.
If you're feeling down depressed and lonely
I know a place where we can go
22 Acacia Avenue

#859 5 years ago

Talon I'm sorry brother I just remembered we met at Chicago Expo right? We've met. And that was awesome.

#860 5 years ago

Will report that tonight playing at quiter volume no cracking. Didn't think it was clipping but apparently it was.

#861 5 years ago

Still, I should be able to play on 11 and expect perfection. High hopes.

#862 5 years ago

I believe you are correct!

As for the clipping, I've noticed it at higher volumes. Seems they adjusted the volume with the new code. But yeah the audio circuit could use tweaking. Still I'm happy with the quality of the sound from the JBL head speakers. I normally run it at 25, 10 if Jenny is home.

What I have noticed with the sound is the the bottom cab sub has quite a bit of what sounds like static, didn't notice it until I was adjusting the legs. Could be that it needs a filter to kill anything above say 100Hz. I'm thinking that speak will get replaced with a JBL at some point.

I'm really liking all the multiball modes. 2, 3 ball. Add a ball. Had 5 or 6 balls in Trooper.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Talon I'm sorry brother I just remembered we met at Chicago Expo right? We've met. And that was awesome.

#863 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Ha. Got it. My 7yr old nephew makes fun of my lack of computer skills.
Thanks for helping this dumbass out.
Ok. Apparently I don't got it. I extracted the file. Now it shows this. Tried to install and the game still boots normally

Hey give me a call if you still need help. I’m the guy at Allentown with the crazy pants. I’ll get you squared away.

Chad
302-228-8988

#864 5 years ago

Bought my game through Mike at GAP, and he set up a factory tour for Insane and me last Friday.
Erik Gilly showed us around. Really nice guy. Cool tour.
If anyone is waiting for their game, it looks like it can't possibly be much longer. There were Iron Maidens as far as the eye could see in there.
(No, we did not see any clues as to what the NEXT game will be.)

#865 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Ha. Got it. My 7yr old nephew makes fun of my lack of computer skills.
Thanks for helping this dumbass out.

You need to take the file out of the directory you extracted and put that on the root of the USB drive. You after almost there!

#866 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

A live selection would be awesome but also add a secret wizard mode song that’s unselectable in the begging. Like MET does with End Of The Line!! Alexander The Great!! Or Moonchild!

#867 5 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I believe you are correct!
As for the clipping, I've noticed it at higher volumes. Seems they adjusted the volume with the new code. But yeah the audio circuit could use tweaking. Still I'm happy with the quality of the sound from the JBL head speakers. I normally run it at 25, 10 if Jenny is home.
What I have noticed with the sound is the the bottom cab sub has quite a bit of what sounds like static, didn't notice it until I was adjusting the legs. Could be that it needs a filter to kill anything above say 100Hz. I'm thinking that speak will get replaced with a JBL at some point.
I'm really liking all the multiball modes. 2, 3 ball. Add a ball. Had 5 or 6 balls in Trooper.

Wait volume at 25? That's is insanely loud.

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Hey give me a call if you still need help. I’m the guy at Allentown with the crazy pants. I’ll get you squared away.
Chad
302-228-8988

What's up crazy pants. hahaha. Those things gave me seizures.

#869 5 years ago

Can someone remind me how to change modes? Example - aces high to fear of the dark? I thought it was pops but not working...

EDIT - i found it:

Eddie Battle Modes
Qualify an Eddie Battle mode by shooting white arrows to spell EDDIE. Then shoot the center Pharaoh shot to start the flashing mode. You are spotted two EDDIE letters for your first mode. As you complete modes, subsequent modes become harder to start by reducing the number of white arrows and not spotting any free letters. If EDDIE is not completed, shooting the left spinner will change the flashing mode. Once EDDIE is completed, the flashing mode is locked in.

#870 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The same thought occured to me too. Seens like the warn colors would benefit from warm white bulbs.

Took a few pics of my game tonight with warm white frosted Comet LEDs in the GI. It really brings out the color in Zombie Yeti's art and looks far better in person!

DSC04084 (resized).JPGDSC04084 (resized).JPG
DSC04083 (resized).JPGDSC04083 (resized).JPG
DSC04080 (resized).JPGDSC04080 (resized).JPG
DSC04081_1 (resized).JPGDSC04081_1 (resized).JPG
DSC04082_1 (resized).JPGDSC04082_1 (resized).JPG

IMG_20180514_205638 (resized).jpgIMG_20180514_205638 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180514_205728 (resized).jpgIMG_20180514_205728 (resized).jpg

#871 5 years ago

Looks great!

I did mine in Sunlight and it makes a huge difference. I love how it warms up the desert area between the slings.

It's not as bright, but easier on the eyes. The factory bulbs will put spots in your vision if you catch one exposed.

#872 5 years ago

Dam the attention to detail in this game is so dam good! I got the stern headphone set and the stereo sound is bitchin! Got the aces high super jp tonight and the new sound effects are off the hook!

#873 5 years ago

Ulek plastics look great and make a good lighting difference.

20180515_091037 (resized).jpg20180515_091037 (resized).jpg

#874 5 years ago

Just got myself a mummy quadruple jackpot with a call out! This game is fucking crack! Incredible honestly.

#875 5 years ago

I think my biggest pinball regret is that I was forced to leave the hobby before I got to play this machine. It looks and sounds so amazing.

#876 5 years ago

You can always play it on route (somewhere they have pinball in your town).

Quoted from waspinat0r:

I think my biggest pinball regret is that I was forced to leave the hobby before I got to play this machine. It looks and sounds so amazing.

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You can always play it on route (somewhere they have pinball in your town).

The closest place to me with any newer machines is 2 hours away. I'll probably get to play it at some point, but it'll be a while.

#878 5 years ago

I love this game, but man, the inconsistent auto/manual plunger is driving me totally crazy. Mine bricks off the post below the big loop 20-30% of the time, really putting a cramp in my Trooper starts.

Where is this fabled "adjustment screw"?

#879 5 years ago

Only had 3 ramp shots left to complete all the power pyramids. Kept bricking the right ramp.

#880 5 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Its not too late to get back in Wasp. Save up and get an IMDN just like you did your GOTG buddy! IMDN is a keeper.

#881 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Only had 3 ramp shots left to complete all the power pyramids. Kept bricking the right ramp.

That right ramp is kind of tough for sure!

#882 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think I got you beat. I just had a game where on ball three I got the last two ramps needed to complete the pyramid. Then, with the ball cradle, I called my five-year-old son in to check out the cool cyborg animations. As he watched in anticipation, I nailed the center ramp target. However, hallowed be thy name started and it was then that I realized I forgot to collect my power jackpot first. And you can only guess what happened next, Yep, drain game over. LOL.

#883 5 years ago

First Iron Maiden repair after 100 games! Upper right flipper came loose-ish, and I only noticed because it started making a noise when returning to the down state. I think the bolt just wasn’t quite tight enough. At least it didn’t scratch the clear coat at all!! Guess it’s time to make sure all the clippers are aligned exactly where I want them and tightened down.

#884 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its not too late to get back in Wasp. Save up and get an IMDN just like you did your GOTG buddy! IMDN is a keeper.

Wish I could brother, but I have no way to afford or even save at the moment. Literally every penny of my non essential money from my paycheck is going towards my mother's hospital bills. And I have no clue how long or even IF that will ever end. I may not be able to afford a new pinball machine, but I can (no matter how little it may be) help out my family, and that's the most important thing.

Someone can feel free to bring their machine over, though. LOL

#885 5 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Wish I could brother, but I have no way to afford or even save at the moment. Literally every penny of my non essential money from my paycheck is going towards my mother's hospital bills. And I have no clue how long or even IF that will ever end. I may not be able to afford a new pinball machine, but I can (no matter how little it may be) help out my family, and that's the most important thing.

Wasp! Good to see you back around the forums. Sorry to hear about your mom. Stay positive and patient. As a side that may or may not help you as wishful motivation; my wife had some medical issues about 4-5 years ago where I had to sell my pins to help with medical bills. It seemed like forever, but eventually was able to build the collection back ever so slowly. Family and health always comes first and wish you and your mom the best. You’ll have your day when you can get a pin again and when that day comes, make it Maiden! If there’s one pin to rule them all in a single pin lineup, it’s Iron Maiden - it offers everything one needs in a machine. Good luck and stay in high spirits.

#886 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Wasp! Good to see you back around the forums. Sorry to hear about your mom. Stay positive and patient. As a side that may or may not help you as wishful motivation; my wife had some medical issues about 4-5 years ago where I had to sell my pins to help with medical bills. It seemed like forever, but eventually was able to build the collection back ever so slowly. Family and health always comes first and wish you and your mom the best. You’ll have your day when you can get a pin again and when that day comes, make it Maiden! If there’s one pin to rule them all in a single pin lineup, it’s Iron Maiden - it offers everything one needs in a machine. Good luck and stay in high spirits.

Thank you SKB. I'm sorry to hear about your wife but I hope all is well now. Every day with family is a blessing. It took a death experience to fully impriont that into my head. (I don't say near-death because according to the doctor, my mother actually did die. By the grace of God she was able to come out of cardiac arrest without any help from him -- but after that, in transport is when she had her seizure is when things really started to go downhill. It seems odd to say that *THAT* is when things went downhill, but she recovered from the cardiac arrest -- if she ever will recover from what's happening now is up in the air. She can recognize my sister, myself, and my aunt though. She can't speak, but with effort it seems like she can jerk her leg to let us know she's there. So that's a good start.)

It may take a few years, but I'll get another pin. Time to start entering raffles!

#887 5 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Sorry to hear about your mother and its very nice of you to help her, thats far more important than pinball. Like Eskaybee said though, there will be better days ahead, I guarantee it so just hang in there and keep grinding away and you can make it happen!

#888 5 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I love this game, but man, the inconsistent auto/manual plunger is driving me totally crazy. Mine bricks off the post below the big loop 20-30% of the time, really putting a cramp in my Trooper starts.
Where is this fabled "adjustment screw"?

It is under the right ramp which you will need to move to adjust the screw once adjusted it will work all the time; I talked to Keith and did mine and now it is perfect

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sorry to hear about your mother and its very nice of you to help her, thats far more important than pinball. Like Eskaybee said though, there will be better days ahead, I guarantee it so just hang in there and keep grinding away and you can make it happen!

Absolutely. <3

#890 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

It is under the right ramp which you will need to move to adjust the screw once adjusted it will work all the time; I talked to Keith and did mine and now it is perfect

Is this the screw under the right plastic that holds the end of the shooter lane in place?

#891 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Is this the screw under the right plastic that holds the end of the shooter lane in place?

Yes.
Take off the nut for the wire form on the right slingshot. Then there’s a screw you can get to between the right ramp wire form to that plastic. That should give you enough wiggle room to get at the adjustment screw; if you want more free movement there’s another screw near the top of the ramp thatlll free it more but I didn’t feel the need to take that one off.

Then, Depending on your pitch (I’m at 7.0-7.2) I loosened the adjustment screw and pushed it all the way up with lots of pressure and tightened. If you’re a Lower pitch you may need to find the sweet spot. I then put some slight pressure on the exit guide to slightly bend a hair up. KME also mentioned bending the guides on the left side of the shooter lane inward towards the shooter lane - not sure what this does to be honest, maybe helps the ball from rattling? I did it anyway but just ever so slightly bend so not to damage anything.

Lastly, I set my overall coil power in adjustments to hard. My manual plunge is 99.9% and my auto plunge is 90+%.

Also, FWIW - I found anything over 7.2 deg pitch was just too much inconsistency. One of the guys from stern mentioned in a faceboook stream that the game plays really good at 7deg and I would concur. But even in that stream, you’ll see a lot of inconsistencies with their shooter.

Lastly sort of off topic) but a tip I picked up from that fb stream (I think it was Tim balls playing); when he got multiballs he was soft plunging to hit the regular skill shot X multiplier to help advance 2X/3X, I found this very useful and pulled it off today when I had all X’s lit but that one. Managing the X multiplier is quite challenging but fun.

#892 5 years ago

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else has similar Flipper Issues.

After about a week of play, my bottom left flipper started sticking in the up position. It wasnt the coil staying energized, but that the coil wouldnt not spring back to normal position. I put a tighter spring on the mech and that helped but every once in awhile it would stick especially when i'd cradle up and stage the flippers during play. I requested a whole new mech but Patrick Powers (stern - great support) wanted pics of the coil sleeve thinking it might have gotten the wrong one accidentally installed which was causing the shaft to stick. With the help of JJ at GEX (Great customer service on a weeknight!) he helped me identify what i needed to look for and to check out the coil stop as well.

<<<Insert time to laugh at me comment>>> after 13 years in this hobby i didnt know what the coil sleeve was or where to find the coil stop - i always thought the sleeve was the paper around the coil and you took that off to expose the coil and look at its 'sleeve' and thought the stop was the rubber that stops the flipper mech on the return - after JJ corrected me that the sleeve is in fact the plastic sleeve the coil goes in and out of and the stop is at the end of the coil (opposite) the wires, i embarrassingly unscrewed 2 screws (super easy) by the coil stop to investigate. <<<end laughing at me comment and back to troubleshooting topic>>>

I found that there was a big washer around the coil stop and it was warped to all hell. JJ was like wtf is a washer doing on a coil stop? Needless to say, we both agreed lets just remove it. This was approx a week ago and have not had a single problem since. Flippers work great and no more intermittent sticking. Hopefully someone gets use out of this post, or at the very least gets a good laugh at what i thought a coil sleeve was or maybe finds out what a coil sleeve and stop is like i didnt lol now at least i know what is involved when people talk about cleaning coil sleeves and/or filing coil stops. Its not replacing paper or filing a rubber stop

#893 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

After about a week of play, my bottom left flipper started sticking in the up position. It wasnt the coil staying energized, but that the coil wouldnt not spring back to normal position. I put a tighter spring on the mech and that helped but every once in awhile it would stick especially when i'd cradle up and stage the flippers during play. I requested a whole new mech but Patrick Powers (stern - great support) wanted pics of the coil sleeve thinking it might have gotten the wrong one accidentally installed which was causing the shaft to stick. With the help of JJ at GEX (Great customer service on a weeknight!) he helped me identify what i needed to look for and to check out the coil stop as well.
<<<Insert time to laugh at me comment>>> after 13 years in this hobby i didnt know what the coil sleeve was or where to find the coil stop - i always thought the sleeve was the paper around the coil and you took that off to expose the coil and look at its 'sleeve' and thought the stop was the rubber that stops the flipper mech on the return - after JJ corrected me that the sleeve is in fact the plastic sleeve the coil goes in and out of and the stop is at the end of the coil (opposite) the wires, i embarrassingly unscrewed 2 screws (super easy) by the coil stop to investigate. <<<end laughing at me comment and back to troubleshooting topic>>>
I found that there was a big washer around the coil stop and it was warped to all hell. JJ was like wtf is a washer doing on a coil stop? Needless to say, we both agreed lets just remove it. This was approx a week ago and have not had a single problem since. Flippers work great and no more intermittent sticking. Hopefully someone gets use out of this post, or at the very least gets a good laugh at what i thought a coil sleeve was or maybe finds out what a coil sleeve and stop is like i didnt lol now at least i know what is involved when people talk about cleaning coil sleeves and/or filing coil stops. Its not replacing paper or filing a rubber stop

Congrats on getting your hands a little dirty and learning something along the way!

Another thing to watch out for is Stern's stock coil stops are notoriously bad, the rivet will often disintegrate in little time and cause problems. The Pinball Life replacements are better.

#894 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Did you get your game updated?

#895 5 years ago

I'm still playing .94. Figured I'd get about 100 games on it before I update, so I can appreciate all the new stuff. Is it that big of a difference? Did I read someone saying it improved speaker clipping? How is that possible? Do I have any more dumb questions? Yes, I do, but I'm on my first drink. Give it a minute

#896 5 years ago

I think it is a great update. Cyborg Multiball is much different now. It has many vibrant colors and each shot from the pyramid is a bright color. i.e. purple, yellow etc...there are more excellent callouts and the loop jackpots are now stopped after 5 I think and diverted to the small flipper for a loop jackpot there so you have an extra challenge before going for the large loop again...

#897 5 years ago

I thought I read number of the beast is coded as well.

#898 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Did you get your game updated?

I did. appreciate everyone's help.

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Isn't that "washer" a spring of sorts to help with vibration/keeping the coil tight? Pretty sure my Sterns (all two of them...) have had those on each coil stop, and I'm surprised the distro wasn't familiar.

EDIT: yes, I believe you're referencing the "spring washer" part 269-5002-00 per my Avatar manual, same washers were on my LOTR. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/269-5002-00

#900 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Isn't that "washer" a spring of sorts to help with vibration/keeping the coil tight? Pretty sure my Sterns (all two of them...) have had those on each coil stop, and I'm surprised the distro wasn't familiar.

Yes it is. Think even Data East had them. I think it there to stop the buzz sound when the flipper is held in the up position.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 39.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
There are 15,592 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 312.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.