(Topic ID: 213089)

Up the Irons - Stern Iron Maiden Owners and True Fans Club!

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,653 posts
  • 1,042 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Kkoss24
  • Topic is favorited by 499 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6659 (resized).png
IMG_6658 (resized).png
IMG_6660 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6664 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6662 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5503 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240325_202244_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240325_202205_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
IMG_8122 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,653 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 314.
#8401 3 years ago

Hey everyone, I’m hoping any Premium/LE owners can help me out with an issue im having.

8i have an issue where the tomb opens and I shoot a ball through the opening and doesn’t register the shot. Then I lose the award or ball lock and have to try again. Very frustrating. It only registers the shot about 50% of the time...

I thought it would a switch issue but I’ve tested it and it works fine. This switch isn’t the one in the “bent arm” switch that in the mummy ball lock, it’s much larger. So I’m stuck trying to figure out what the issue is.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Anyone else had this issue?

611C3562-2597-47EC-8777-0C03C3E22D89 (resized).jpeg611C3562-2597-47EC-8777-0C03C3E22D89 (resized).jpegDC84D806-9397-45CB-8132-5A310953D9DA (resized).jpegDC84D806-9397-45CB-8132-5A310953D9DA (resized).jpeg
#8402 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Hey everyone, I’m hoping any Premium/LE owners can help me out with an issue im having.
8i have an issue where the tomb opens and I shoot a ball through the opening and doesn’t register the shot. Then I lose the award or ball lock and have to try again. Very frustrating. It only registers the shot about 50% of the time...
I thought it would a switch issue but I’ve tested it and it works fine. This switch isn’t the one in the “bent arm” switch that in the mummy ball lock, it’s much larger. So I’m stuck trying to figure out what the issue is.
[quoted image][quoted image]

When you shoot a ball up the left ramp, does the gate open and let a ball fall into the lock mech? If so, then your switch in the back that you are showing is working. And if you checked all the switches in test and you show they all work, then Im sure your issue is probably related to an issue that I recently had to deal with over the past couple pages. It essentially boiled down to poor registration of the switches within the lock mech itself (the two switches in the trough of the mech). There are temporary fixes, but the most durable fix is to change both of them out to the micro roller switches (which can be found at Marco). Reportedly, that mech was first designed with the roller switchea, but at some point they switched to the bent are switches in that mech and there have been similar scattered issues since. Yes, quite frustrating, but fixable.

#8403 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

When you shoot a ball up the left ramp, does the gate open and let a ball fall into the lock mech? If so, then your switch in the back that you are showing is working. And if you checked all the switches in test and you show they all work, then Im sure your issue is probably related to an issue that I recently had to deal with over the past couple pages. It essentially boiled down to poor registration of the switches within the lock mech itself (the two switches in the trough of the mech). There are temporary fixes, but the most durable fix is to change both of them out to the micro roller switches (which can be found at Marco). Reportedly, that mech was first designed with the roller switchea, but at some point they switched to the bent are switches in that mech and there have been similar scattered issues since. Yes, quite frustrating, but fixable.

The gate does not open and after 20 seconds or so the game goes into a ball search. The gate finally lifts after the ball search and dumps the ball into mummy lock and then finally it shoots out of the ramp VUK.

This is why I still think it’s the larger switch and not the mummy switch. Maybe I need to put something on that ramp to slow the ball down?

#8404 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Did you test the switch with your finger or by rolling the ball over it? Testing with your finger is not reliable.

#8405 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

The gate does not open and after 20 seconds or so the game goes into a ball search. The gate finally lifts after the ball search and dumps the ball into mummy lock and then finally it shoots out of the ramp VUK.
This is why I still think it’s the larger switch and not the mummy switch. Maybe I need to put something on that ramp to slow the ball down?

Let me ask, when the Anubis elevates to allow a ball into that back plastic tunnel behind the playfield (in that white plastic that you are depicting in your picture), do you hear a motor running? Meaning, is the Anubis diverter triggering/activating the appropriate up and down switches (and in this case, the switch for the "up" position)? If you hear a motor running after the anubis is in the up position, that would signify the anubis still trying to "go up" to trigger that upper switch, and it would be those/that switch that will need to be addressed. If the gate doesn't know that it's open yet, it may not be allowing that next switch behind the playfield to register appropriately.

#8406 3 years ago

Looking to join the club......did the production run stop for this machine yet or will they make more?

#8407 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Looking to join the club......did the production run stop for this machine yet or will they make more?

They’re doing another run late summer, check with your distributors

#8408 3 years ago

Best ball one to date...and a nice rip on 2MTM / Cyborg too.

31D080E5-75E5-46C1-ABFC-81C82A3A8DBD (resized).jpeg31D080E5-75E5-46C1-ABFC-81C82A3A8DBD (resized).jpeg

23CFA6D1-B216-4ED6-9DCE-3E174E0632AE (resized).jpeg23CFA6D1-B216-4ED6-9DCE-3E174E0632AE (resized).jpeg

E74A418C-DDFA-48A4-A645-DB697E9208C6 (resized).jpegE74A418C-DDFA-48A4-A645-DB697E9208C6 (resized).jpeg

#8409 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

They’re doing another run late summer, check with your distributors

I don’t think that’s been verified yet but can’t hurt to check. I heard their not but who knows.

#8410 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you test the switch with your finger or by rolling the ball over it? Testing with your finger is not reliable.

Yes, the ball triggers the switch as it should.

It seems the issue has moved to the mummy lock now. The game doesn’t realize a ball is in the mummy lock so it either drops it into the VUK underworld or it keeps it in the mummy lock until it goes into a ball search... it’s not holding the ball like it should.

I’m going to try what others have suggested and replace the bent arm switches with roll over switches and see if that fixes the issue.

#8411 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

I’m going to try what others have suggested and replace the bent arm switches with roll over switches and see if that fixes the issue.

It's a huge pain to do, but that should take care of it.

#8412 3 years ago

Can anybody help, I’ve never had this issue on my machines before, my revive spinner doesn’t flatten out,it stays at an angle after spinning, refer to video . I’ve tried a couple things,and thought I had it,but it still just stays in this position majority of time?!

#8413 3 years ago

I am experimenting with a low cost speaker upgrade for my IMDN (but would work with any SPK2 I assume). I have designed and printed a 4x6 speaker adapter plate and picked up a pair of $35 Cerwin-Vega speakers to try out. I only have one installed at the moment, but as you would expect the sound quality has gone up noticeably. Once I have both installed, I am sure I will have to go back into the EQ settings and dial back the really high end frequencies that that stock speakers just can't reproduce well. It is really nice to have the EQ control in the new code!

Speakers I am using; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBFM6CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00
PXL_20210209_012833010 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_012833010 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_013139076 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_013139076 (resized).jpg

#8414 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Can anybody help, I’ve never had this issue on my machines before, my revive spinner doesn’t flatten out,it stays at an angle after spinning, refer to video . I’ve tried a couple things,and thought I had it,but it still just stays in this position majority of time?!

I'm guessing you need to bend it. Haven't had an issue on IMDN, but I had that happen on JM. Just had to carefully bend it until it sat flush again.

#8415 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Bend and lubricate it. Easy fix

#8416 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yes, the ball triggers the switch as it should.
It seems the issue has moved to the mummy lock now. The game doesn’t realize a ball is in the mummy lock so it either drops it into the VUK underworld or it keeps it in the mummy lock until it goes into a ball search... it’s not holding the ball like it should.

I just modded my problem switch trigger, which was way easier.

#8418 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I am experimenting with a low cost speaker upgrade for my IMDN (but would work with any SPK2 I assume). I have designed and printed a 4x6 speaker adapter plate and picked up a pair of $35 Cerwin-Vega speakers to try out. I only have one installed at the moment, but as you would expect the sound quality has gone up noticeably. Once I have both installed, I am sure I will have to go back into the EQ settings and dial back the really high end frequencies that that stock speakers just can't reproduce well. It is really nice to have the EQ control in the new code!
Speakers I am using; amazon.com link »

I forgot to mention that if it wasn't commonly known, there are speaker impedance software settings for each set of speakers (not sure if this was introduced after the last update?). So in my example, since I am using car audio speakers, I needed to change the backbox speaker setting from 8 to 4 ohm. With fader and 10band EQ settings (also individually controlled between backbox and cabinet speakers), you really can fine tune the audio.

#8419 3 years ago

Newbie question...the "orb" on my Pro has come apart. The screw that attaches that goes thru the Orb came off. Nut that held it together came off too (well...came off first). Wondering if it shook loose as I added a shaker motor thats sorta violent but...what's the tool needed to tighten the nut and get the Orb back into place? Tried to use a Phillips head to tighten the screw while I tried to hold/secure the nut but thats not working well. Do I need to pull the playfield out to fix or is there a tool that will fit so I can reattach from the bottom/underneath so I only need to remove the glass???

#8420 3 years ago
Quoted from Snugs:

Newbie question...the "orb" on my Pro has come apart. The screw that attaches that goes thru the Orb came off. Nut that held it together came off too (well...came off first). Wondering if it shook loose as I added a shaker motor thats sorta violent but...what's the tool needed to tighten the nut and get the Orb back into place? Tried to use a Phillips head to tighten the screw while I tried to hold/secure the nut but thats not working well. Do I need to pull the playfield out to fix or is there a tool that will fit so I can reattach from the bottom/underneath so I only need to remove the glass???

Hold the nut with your fingers and get it started. Then to tighten I used a wrench to hold it while I tightened with a phillips.

#8421 3 years ago

Looking for a nice maiden premium for sale somewhere near Md/va/dc. Thanks! Mìke

#8422 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not a Stern-only problem. JJP has it, Spooky has it - from temp testing, it's clear that they all do to some degree. It's the laws of thermodynamics exacerbated by the longer-playing games with deeper rule sets in the modern era. Lord of the Rings FAMOUSLY had this problem 20 years ago. It's not new.

It's not just the fan for the flipper you're getting, but the custom wiring and the fuse and rectifier-protected adapter also custom made for Spike. It's truly plug and play.
And $100 to protect your playfield art from baking over time (the coils are right under the playfield, and temps up to 180F for hours at a time if you play long games are not out of the question) seems pretty cheap when you consider the ugly alternative if that excessive heat damages the art or makes the ink or clear more brittle over time.

Just curious, how much added noise do the fans add? Granted I usually have the music up fairly loud and only have the table on when I play so idle noise is not a concern.

#8423 3 years ago
Quoted from malklavious:

Just curious, how much added noise do the fans add? Granted I usually have the music up fairly loud and only have the table on when I play so idle noise is not a concern.

On Stern, the noise of a two fan setup is a total of 15.7dB combined. So, basically nothing. If you REALLY listen in a quiet room, you can hear them. A 3 fan setup is 17.5dB combined for Stern kits. If you add in the quiet fan kit in the power supply, you're still only at 18.7dB total for 4 fans (3 quiet fans in the machine + 1 in the power supply), WAY less than the stock spike power supply fan.

JJP kits are a little louder because they are using 50% higher CFM fans to keep the scorching coil temps down (100F improvement vs uncooled on the right GnR flipper), but even then, if the game's running you have zero chance of hearing them, and in a quiet room you can not hear or barely hear them due to the other factory fans in the machine (cabinet, ATX, CPU, LCD) masking them.

#8424 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

On Stern, the noise of a two fan setup is a total of 15.7dB combined. So, basically nothing. If you REALLY listen in a quiet room, you can hear them. A 3 fan setup is 17.5dB combined for Stern kits. JJP kits are a little louder because they are using 50% higher CFM fans to keep the scorching coil temps down (100F improvement vs uncooled on the right GnR flipper), but even then, if the game's running you have zero chance of hearing them, and in a quiet room you can not hear or barely hear them due to the other factory fans in the machine (cabinet, ATX, CPU, LCD) masking them.

Good to hear, thank you for the explanation.

Follow-up question: how much of an issue is heat on the upper flippers on this table?

#8425 3 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I 2nd what paulrowen said. Check that your flipper is spaced properly from the playfield. I think that's a common issue on IM. I know mine had the issue straight from stern, and the reason I found it was because I couldn't hit the pharaoh from the left.
That said, I don't see any reason why it would start happening out of the blue. So maybe check the notoriously bad coil stops first.

Yep, this was absolutely the issue. FYI mine didnt show any 'shavings' but when I disassembled the mech the ring was badly bent on two of the flippers and the coil stops were both showing wear. I replaced the stops (i would, in the future, also replace the rings but I had not ordered them prior to instal) and wola, issue solved. Huge difference for me in terms of shot power etc. and surprised at this, my IM didnt have a ton of play at the point this issue arose.

#8426 3 years ago
Quoted from malklavious:

Follow-up question: how much of an issue is heat on the upper flippers on this table?

I personally didn't feel it, but I'm terrible at the upper loops, so my suck might be covering fade for the uppers. I didn't temp check upper and lower when I started this project, so I only have lower flipper temp data for this and a lot of the others, but I plan on going back and getting upper flipper data eventually.

#8427 3 years ago

i walked very quickly over a massive lump of dirt

C8D10D10-3A1B-4FD9-84D6-4FF80C2EEF29 (resized).jpegC8D10D10-3A1B-4FD9-84D6-4FF80C2EEF29 (resized).jpeg
#8428 3 years ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Yep, this was absolutely the issue. FYI mine didnt show any 'shavings' but when I disassembled the mech the ring was badly bent on two of the flippers and the coil stops were both showing wear. I replaced the stops (i would, in the future, also replace the rings but I had not ordered them prior to instal) and wola, issue solved. Huge difference for me in terms of shot power etc. and surprised at this, my IM didnt have a ton of play at the point this issue arose.

Yeah, mine shipped from the factory with the issue

#8429 3 years ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

What part in the flipper mech is the "ring" refering to?

#8430 3 years ago

Spring washers on the coil stop...they are actually supposed be bent by design. Their purpose is to reduce slack between the stop and the coil.

Quoted from Returner:

What part in the flipper mech is the "ring" refering to?

#8431 3 years ago

Still no beast..... Ugh

PXL_20210214_202111933 (resized).jpgPXL_20210214_202111933 (resized).jpg
#8432 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Still no beast..... Ugh[quoted image]

i know this feeling SO well... similar score, similar lack of wizard mode access. Totally empathise.

#8433 3 years ago

Collecting mummy card on first go around is a favorite small victory. Still no beast encounter for me either.

#8434 3 years ago
Quoted from JHS71:

Collecting mummy card on first go around is a favorite small victory. Still no beast encounter for me either.

No beast here either and strangely, I usually have lower scoring games when I have more cards. I had trooper, cyborg and soldier with 300m somehow yesterday, just missing mummy.

#8435 3 years ago

Looking for an Iron Maiden Premium or LE in the Midwest area. Willing to drive a distance for the right pin.

Thanks!

#8436 3 years ago

I just spoke to my local pin pusher and was told they are getting some Premiums next month. I would assume they are coming hot off the line at Stern once again?!

#8437 3 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

I just spoke to my local pin pusher and was told they are getting some Premiums next month. I would assume they are coming hot off the line at Stern once again?!

One of the distributors in marketplace appears to be taking deposits for pros.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1092-great-american-pinball/02084-iron-maiden-pinball-machine

#8438 3 years ago

I've had enough with the flakey GI sockets; I want to replace the sockets (inconveniently) located under the flipper mechs. Does anyone have pictures of what they look like under there so I can order the correct ones?

#8439 3 years ago

Wanted to share my mummy captive ball issues and solution with the group. There were weird things going on with the mummy lock and captive ball. The ball never stayed in the mummy lock and it took me a while to figure out what was going on...

Well it turns out the Newton ball had come apart and was sticking up out of the Playfield and messing with the mummy lock (switch). I had a buddy JB weld the Newton ball back together and now it’s working again. I guess this thing just took a bunch of hits and fell apart... you can also get a replacement from PBL if needed.

348AC6E5-9B63-426E-846A-FE1B2DFCEACC (resized).jpeg348AC6E5-9B63-426E-846A-FE1B2DFCEACC (resized).jpeg6514E463-4E49-4E57-849E-6D927EC5BB56 (resized).jpeg6514E463-4E49-4E57-849E-6D927EC5BB56 (resized).jpeg
#8440 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Wanted to share my mummy captive ball issues and solution with the group. There were weird things going on with the mummy lock and captive ball. The ball never stayed in the mummy lock and it took me a while to figure out what was going on...
Well it turns out the Newton ball had come apart and was sticking up out of the Playfield and messing with the mummy lock (switch). I had a buddy JB weld the Newton ball back together and now it’s working again. I guess this thing just took a bunch of hits and fell apart... you can also get a replacement from PBL if needed. [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, that's the second time for that machine. Early on that happened and Stern sent me a replacement.

#8441 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I've had enough with the flakey GI sockets; I want to replace the sockets (inconveniently) located under the flipper mechs. Does anyone have pictures of what they look like under there so I can order the correct ones?

Did you try new LEDS’s first? Stern used shit quality lamps, surprise surprise. I replaced those 4 lamps with new ones from Comet and they seem to be much better.

#8442 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Did you try new LEDS’s first? Stern used shit quality lamps, surprise surprise. I replaced those 4 lamps with new ones from Comet and they seem to be much better.

Unfortunately, I have comets in there now. I tried almost all of the "above PF" fixes and still have a couple stubborn ones. My nearly brand new TMNT has the same issues.

#8443 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Just replaced them on my AiQ. Were really bad. It's not so easy, because they are soldered and nailed/hammered (don't know the word) in the playfield. I think it's the same on IMdn. Replaced them with thin ones that have to be screwed in the playfield. Working now, but wasn't easy.

Try to bent the sockets from above slightly together first to make better contact. Worked for me on my IMdn and was very, very much easier this way. If the sockets are bad, much more to do...

#8444 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Unfortunately, I have comets in there now. I tried almost all of the "above PF" fixes and still have a couple stubborn ones. My nearly brand new TMNT has the same issues.

I had the same problem and tried all the fixes from bending in the sides to pulling/stretching the spring, and I use comet's. The only thing that worked and still is working is putting a little dab of solder on the tip of the bulb.

#8446 3 years ago

Ball one! First game after rebuilding all four flippers. Why did I put this off for so long? Haha.

AD4EAE7D-FAC2-4899-9F0D-88A0A55965DE (resized).jpegAD4EAE7D-FAC2-4899-9F0D-88A0A55965DE (resized).jpeg
#8447 3 years ago

Finally joined the club!!!
Anyone know where to get the metal playfeild protector that goes behind the bullseye ramp?
Thx

20210221_180549 (resized).jpg20210221_180549 (resized).jpg
#8448 3 years ago
Quoted from Numskul:

Finally joined the club!!!
Anyone know where to get the metal playfeild protector that goes behind the bullseye ramp?
Thx[quoted image]

Request it from Stern, then will send it for free. Need to provide your serial number.

#8450 3 years ago

Hi Guys,
I'm new in the Pinball society.
I have an Iron Maiden Pro but the translite is not really my favorite. I prefer the one from the premium model or if not available the one from the LE.
So I would like to do the other translite by myself. Therefore my question is: is someone here who can do a hi-resolution photo from his premium/LE translite and send it to me?

Thx in advance and Regards

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball
Protection
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
There are 15,653 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 314.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/169?hl=enchantress and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.