(Topic ID: 11546)

Up next: Paragon in the rotisserie for a restoration (Completed-3-13)

By Whridlsoncestood

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by vster23
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 54 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1010469(1).jpg
IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1902.jpg
IMG_1901.jpg
IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg
IMG_1873.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Flash Gordon is out the door and Paragon is up next on the Rotisserie. A lot of work ahead on this one, but I am very excited it. Spent a night Removing all the mylar and glue and gave it a quick wipe down to get the heavy grime off. MF and Alcohol are next to try and get the ground in dirt out.

First the starting pictures

IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1456.jpg IMG_1582.jpg IMG_1589.jpg

#2 7 years ago

After mylar removal/wipedown

IMG_1590.jpg IMG_1593.jpg IMG_1594.jpg

#3 7 years ago

Few More

IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1596.jpg IMG_1597.jpg

#4 7 years ago

Oh yea! The Hulk part two!

#6 7 years ago

I'll be starting one next week, I may have a few ? for you. Like what do you do of all most all my inserts are sunk in? I will be getting a new PF well new to me. its missing 2 inserts, you know where to buy new ones? or can they b replaced without replacing all and still match ( look the same)?

#7 7 years ago

Not sure where to get new ones. Maybe contact Steve Young at pinballresource.com?

All of these are sunken in. I will do touch ups around them and then fill with polycrylic clear when playfield is laying level and then sand down flush. Other option is to pull every insert. Sand down the face until it is flat, re install flush, glue in, and then put new decals on the inserts. My more time consuming and may end up breaking even more inserts.

#8 7 years ago

Oh yea Part 3!

#9 7 years ago

I'm looking forward to this. I loved your Hulk restoration thread, btw!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

After mylar removal/wipedown

What did you use to remove the mylar adhesive? I'm not having much luck in getting the adhesive to let go on my Paragon PF. I froze the mylar off easily. Thanks.

#11 7 years ago

I let goo gone spake for about 20 minutes and then I scrape away a layer of the glue. Then repeat and eventually it's will be all gone. Very time consuming and tedious

#12 7 years ago

An hour later and a tired arm gets you this.

IMG_1623.jpg

50 percent of a playfield clean. Taking a break to play Hulk and then diving back in. I am also keeping a time log on this playfield restoration. I didn't do it for Hulk and I know it was way too many hours.

#13 7 years ago

Also forgot. Here is the scanner that showed up this weekend. Will be using it to restore the thousand text below all the center inserts.

IMG_1621.jpg

#14 7 years ago

I love the artwork on that pin. Scanner is a great idea, can't wait to see how it turns out.

#15 7 years ago

Here is the scanner that showed up this weekend

That is the exact model scanner I use. I have two of the "thousands" area to recreate on waterslide decals. I have two playfields, one that was in the game and one I bought. The one I bought is a little nicer than the one I had originally. I guess I'm fortunate in that mine do not have near as much insert wear as yours. My most time consuming task will be leveling every one of the inserts.

Best of luck on your restoration!

#17 7 years ago

2 1/2 hours, 6 large MF foam pads, 16 oz of 91% alcohol and a splash of naptha and I have a clean base to start with. And that doesn't include Mylar removal/cleanup.

Next step is filling in all areas of missing playfield and sanding down all the kickout holes and shooter lanes to clean smooth wood.

IMG_1625.jpg IMG_1626.jpg IMG_1627.jpg

#18 7 years ago

Few more

IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1629.jpg IMG_1630.jpg

#20 7 years ago

Let us know please the reference of waterslide decals you use .

Is this a scanner you modified ?

Great project

#21 7 years ago

SWEET!!! ...I'm anxious to see the pics from this restore. My Paragon playfield is in almost the same shape as yours, and I'm excited to see what you'll do.

#22 7 years ago

It's a HP 4600. No modifications. I will link the decal paper I use after I try it out. The last stuff I used was better suited for a laser jet printer. Will be finding some that's better for laser jet printers

#23 7 years ago

It's a HP 4600. No modifications. I will link the decal paper I use after I try it out. The last stuff I used was better suited for a laser jet printer. Will be finding some that's better for laser jet printers

Would you consider selling waterslide decals? Whats the best way to remove the wire guide things off the PF?
I think I can, I think I can, The good part is the PF I'm working on is a spare.

#24 7 years ago

Good luck Whrid.

You certainly have your work cut of for you on this one!

#25 7 years ago

2 1/2 hours, 6 large MF foam pads, 16 oz of 91% alcohol and a splash of naptha and I have a clean base to start with. And that doesn't include Mylar removal/cleanup.

Next step is filling in all areas of missing playfield and sanding down all the kickout holes and shooter lanes to clean smooth wood.

your off to a great start

#26 7 years ago

wow, can't wait to see how the artwork turns out on that wing!!! i'm sure it will turn out well compared to your flash artwork.

#27 7 years ago

Very nice. I bought a Paragon with the intention of doing the same, but then re-evaluated my decision based on that fact that I really don't have the patience for resto work, so I sold it.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from ranpin:

Whridlsoncestood said:It's a HP 4600. No modifications. I will link the decal paper I use after I try it out. The last stuff I used was better suited for a laser jet printer. Will be finding some that's better for laser jet printers
Would you consider selling waterslide decals? Whats the best way to remove the wire guide things off the PF?
I think I can, I think I can, The good part is the PF I'm working on is a spare.

I can make you some. No charge. How many you need? Talking about the thousands text right? For the wire guides put something under them like a credit card and pry up a little bit on each end with a screwdriver or such until it's free

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

wow, can't wait to see how the artwork turns out on that wing!!! i'm sure it will turn out well compared to your flash artwork.

Need to look through archive pictures and see if there are any good closeups of this area. If not anyone with a paragon want to snap me a good high res picture of the center insert area?

#29 7 years ago

Need to look through archive pictures and see if there are any good closeups of this area. If not anyone with a paragon want to snap me a good high res picture of the center insert area?

I got a good one ill send pic, or post here.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from ranpin:

Whridlsoncestood said:Need to look through archive pictures and see if there are any good closeups of this area. If not anyone with a paragon want to snap me a good high res picture of the center insert area?
I got a good one ill send pic, or post here.

Is it complete still? Jdswainjr@gmail.com

#31 7 years ago

Its still complete, I can send you more if you need.

pinball,_paragon_004.JPG

#32 7 years ago

I can make you some. No charge. How many you need? Talking about the thousands text right?

I'd also be VERY interested in getting a copy of these......pretty please.

Any thought to creating an entire bonus section decal? Maybe something that would cover the 'traingle' of numbers 1 through 10? ..and then maybe another decal for the super bonus and multiplier section? I've got very similar wear on my Paragon, and have been trying to figure out the best way to fix it. Here's a pic of mine.....
DSC01576.jpg

#33 7 years ago

It seems as though most paragons have this area of wear, having a universal overlay for that section would be a bigtime asset.

#34 7 years ago

Man, that playfield art is awseome! Haven't played Paragon but I dig the detail in that art. Reminds me of the old 60's/70's Conan comics I used to collect.
You must have a very steady hand a ton of patience.
Good luck!

#35 7 years ago

I can look into. Biggest issue is going to be every playfield that has wear like this has cupped inserts. Those will have to be leveled out first for anything to go over it evenly. Same with wood wear. Has to be a nice flat even surface. The bonus area will still have to be painted by hand if it is worn to wood as that is white text. Inkjet won't print white. Laserjet could but I don't have access to it.

It will be a week or two before I get doing these decals for myself. Just how many people are interested?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from ranpin:

Its still complete, I can send you more if you need.

Attachments pinball,_paragon_004.JPG (502.7 KB, 1 downloads) 46 minutes old

If you have a hi res version could you email it? Thanks.

#37 7 years ago

Im thinking I must b nuts for wanting to "restore" my PF as that is the most wore out spot. I found this Pin in a barn the only thing bad on it now is the inserts as they r sunk. But I only have 650.00 in it. without the cost of the spare PF I got from a fellow Pinsider.

#38 7 years ago

Thanks for the email pictures everyone. After I get this together I will try and make up some more decals for everyone

#39 7 years ago

After I get this together I will try and make up some more decals for everyone

You are DA MAN~!

#40 7 years ago

1.5 hours of sanding shooter lane, bulb holes, saucer holes and any other cutouts in the playfield. I think I am ready to start painting tomorrow.

IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1639.jpg

#41 7 years ago

Looking good~!

#42 7 years ago

Gadzooks I love this stuff!

#43 7 years ago

Spent a good chunk of tonight looking at pictures of decent specimens of Paragon and drawing in missing areas. Will start going over it with paint next. IMG_1640.jpg

#44 7 years ago

wow. that is going to get involved. unreal. gl man

#46 7 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to document your projects. They are great reads!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from SunsetPinball:

Thank you so much for taking the time to document your projects. They are great reads!

+1 Especially when it's a pin I own.

#48 7 years ago

+2 these are my favorite threads on Pinside.
Thanks!

#49 7 years ago

This is awesome thanks for sharing!

#50 7 years ago

Oh man, I thought you were going to replace that area with a decal somehow. You've got skillz to pull off that detail. Awesome work!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 30.00
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside