You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
16012163525007797494721033808393 (resized).jpg
image-7 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Picked up my first wedgehead (Top Card) the other day. There are two female Jones connectors in the light box that appear to be unused. Is that right?

#2 3 years ago

Do you have a picture? Some single ones are used to increase or decrease scores in which you win a game.

#3 3 years ago

Yeah. Got one of those too. It has jumpers, etc. But there are two that seem to have no purpose. Thought it might be a wedgehead thing. I'll upload a pic in a bit.

#4 3 years ago

There are 3 plugs lower middle

image-7 (resized).jpgimage-7 (resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

The score adjust is upper right. Can't figure out the two in the middle.

16012163525007797494721033808393 (resized).jpg16012163525007797494721033808393 (resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

Chad - Is that a pic of a Top Card?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from stoli1:

Chad - Is that a pic of a Top Card?

I could not find top card, as an example I found Captain Card.

Not sure what that plug is for F/S unit?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from stoli1:

The score adjust is upper right. Can't figure out the two in the middle.
[quoted image]

If you look at the right most side of the relays , there seems to be an open spot.. the F/S unit generally has 2 connectors.

#9 3 years ago

There should be an F relay (AS mini stepper style) next to the L relay in the relay rack. The two connectors are for the F relay.

/Mark

#10 3 years ago

Ahhh. I see. Apparently it's been cannibalized. Or, did some of these games not come with them? Seems like an easy thing to add/remove.

Will this game work without one?

Does it have other functions besides the match?

#11 3 years ago

It's missing. On this game the F relay drives the I/Alternating relay during the game and the match circuitry at the end of the game.

#12 3 years ago

As Mark notes, since you have no F relay to drive your I relay, your game will not be toggling the I alternating features such as lighting the pop bumper lights and associated elevated scoring or moving the lit special(s) to the other location(s).

And also you will not get any match lights or awarded credits for matches at end of game.

#13 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I can see all that on the schematic now. So I trust the "I" relay is also a part of that unit?

Shame on me for trusting the seller when he said it was all there. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone parting out a similar game.

#14 3 years ago

No, the I relay is a separate unit elsewhere that is energized whenever F pulses.

EDIT: actually, one pulse to the F relay causes the I relay to pull in (and remain pulled in), the next pulse to F causes I to release. This cycle continues with each pulse of F.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from stoli1:

So I trust the "I" relay is also a part of that unit?

No, the I or Alternating relay is probably in the main cabinet, either on the bottom board or under the playfield. The F relay that you're missing is just a single AS style relay with a small ratcheting mechanism, a pair of small circuit boards and a single normally open switch that connects to the rest of the game through a pair of jones plugs. There are probably pictures of AS relays elsewhere on the forum.

While many AS relays look similar there may be differences from game to game. They could be configured with various cams and switches. So unless you can find another F Relay from a Top Card, you'll want to compare the schematics of Top Card against whatever the donor game the replacement comes from, or photos of the two relays.

#16 3 years ago

Thanks. Found the I relay under the playfield.

#17 3 years ago

According to the Top Card schematic, the missing 00-90 Unit relay (F) has 1 switch that drives the Alternating relay (I), and 2 disks. One disk lights the match number at the end of game (schematic 5B), and the other disk completes the circuit to award a replay if the player matches (schematic 9.5E)

To build one from scratch, you're going to have to start with these parts or a unit like it.
pbresource says they're out of stock on some of the parts so you'll probably need to start with a used one.
http://www.pbresource.com/relay-GTB.html#gtb-as

Let me know if I can help.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#18 3 years ago

Thanks for the info!!

Peeling back the layers ....

A previous owner has wired the Alternating Relay (I) to follow the 8-K Sequence Completed Relay (Q).

Better than nothing I guess.

#19 3 years ago

Does anyone know why Gottlieb designed that unit to be removable?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from stoli1:

Does anyone know why Gottlieb designed that unit to be removable?

It's kind of hard to adjust (some say almost impossible) so having it on a workbench makes working on it a lot easier.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unused-jones-connectors-in-light-box?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.