(Topic ID: 321312)

Unused Bulb (but always on) under playfield?

By Cariba

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hello all,

I noticed on my Fireball Classic (this is my first PIN I owned) there is a bulb underneath the playfield (towards back) that is constantly on BUT no used (meaning there is no hole in playfield for this bulb) - what is it for? interestingly all the bulbs have been converted to LEDs (by previous owner) but NOT this one?

Any reason for this bulb? Can the bulb be removed or replaced with LED?

Thanks in advance,

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Any reason for this bulb?

Put load on a circuit. EBD has one up front.

Quoted from Cariba:

Can the bulb be removed or replaced with LED?

No. Keep a good bulb in it.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

It's right next to a relay. If you remove that build the relay won't work. As LTG pointed out it puts load on the circuit

#4 1 year ago

Ah ok, I figured its has to be a reason for not only it being there but also for it to be a bulb and not an LED after an LED conversion.

IF that bulb goes out and doesn't work, what would be the symptom, or do I just track what the relay controls etc.

Thanks guys,

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Ah ok, I figured its has to be a reason for not only it being there but also for it to be a bulb and not an LED after an LED conversion.
IF that bulb goes out and doesn't work, what would be the symptom, or do I just track what the relay controls etc.
Thanks guys,

That relay is like the A/C circuit on williams games. It allows a small number of coils to use the same driver and they are determined by the relay state. You can see here how 6 coils are controlled by 3 drivers and the relay). The relay itself is driver by a lamp driver

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

so if the lamp is out 3 of those coils would never fire

#6 1 year ago

I could swear I had one old EM pin that had a hardwired 44 in the cabinet just as a service light. Or it's only my imagination.

#7 1 year ago

Some EM games had a #44 lamp in front of the total plays counter to make it easier to read through coin door.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I could swear I had one old EM pin that had a hardwired 44 in the cabinet just as a service light. Or it's only my imagination.

Some EMs use a flashing bulb as a timer

#9 1 year ago

Yes, for example Bally games as delay for the anti-cheat (slam tilt) and over the top (score rollover) relays. Quite clever!

#10 1 year ago

That's the load lamp for the solenoid expander board. Leave it alone. Bally used the SE board to run the playfield spinner motor on Fireball Classic. The lamp should be on whenever the spinner is running. Put the game in lamp test and the bulb should be flashing and the relay clicking like an old fashioned automobile turn signal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unused-bulb-but-always-on-under-playfield- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.