Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Regarding the "let me play your game" stuff, it can be a bit odd and truthfully, there isn't an easy way to do it without sounding like a creeper. Dan, you mentioned that it might be better if I contacted you and said "Hey, I'm a local collector and am wondering if you'd like to come over and play". To me, that's only slightly less creepy. A stranger is inviting you to his house and you have no idea who else will be there (if anyone) and what their true intentions are.
Dave

I'm fairly new around here and recently made such a request to see a local machine that wasn't for sale and was politely turned down. Completely ok with that as I may do the same, but I also feel if someone is going to get upset about unsolicited requests, don't make your profile public (that wasn't the case here, I don't think, just commenting generally).

I made the request because while I was sure I wanted to buy the same title from a guy several hours away, my wife wasn't too sure and wanted to see it first. (There are emulators, videos, etc., and while better than nothing, honestly neither of us enjoy them much.) I also thought it would be good to hear about the machine from an unbiased owner, might give some tips on what to look for, etc. Also figured it would be a cool way to start networking with collectors locally. That's the nature of community, regardless if it's online or in person.

I've got two other hobbies that are similar in that they involve expensive and somewhat hard to find (relatively) items: cars and astronomy. I don't do much with cars today, but it was common to reach out to owners on forums to check them out -- owners are often eager to do so. It's different naturally because a car is either in the driveway or garage; it's also not uncommon to make unsolicited requests to buy/sell. Similar with astronomy gear -- obviously equipment is going to be outside most of the time and usually more portable than pinball.

Other than this one request, I haven't spent much time trying to network with other local enthusiasts, but would be fun to do.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

My kids and wife think I'm nuts and my kids often say "what would you say if I told you I invited a stranger from the Internet over to play video games?" For some reason, it sounds so much worse when they say it that way

Hah! I suppose in a forum dedicated to pinball, if someone has a profile with a few forum posts, I'd be inclined to trust that over just having met someone in person at an event. But, if one my kids said that, I'd think they are nuts. I need to re-evaluate this!

Quoted from swampfire:

If I know you and have met you in person, for more than just a few minutes at a show, you are always welcome to come over and get some time on my games. The more polite visitors bring craft beer to share, but that's optional.

Well, craft beer gets you in my door in any circumstance. I think it might depend on where my machines are, too. The man cave has since been taken over by my kids most of the time, so the new man cave is my garage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 90.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unsolicited-sales-requests?tu=bhwolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.