Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Shewmanga
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8913E9A5-CB3A-44E7-848E-2C385ECC5A5F (resized).png
    354D6E41-FE9F-4647-83D7-21EC0F44A431 (resized).jpeg
    8A95F6C7-7C13-40F8-B5F2-F5597ACA9D19 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

First - I love the pinside top 100, market, pin map, and machine details. Absolutely stellar.

The forums are REALLY daunting for a newbie though. The whole megathread concept with 8,000+ posts, and 200 pages is completely impractical for someone just starting with that thread today. I tried to just randomly pick through the stern/JP thread it was full of duplicate content, and people saying "I didn't read the previous 100 pages, but here's my question". I've been using forums on the interwebs for a long time, and I understand there are often a lot of duplicate threads created, but that's typically much more manageable than these 2000 post threads.

I know I'm a newb here, and I know nobody is going to change just because I said so, but as far as I can tell there seems to be an interest in the pin community to keep manufacturers making new games, which means bringing in new people. This website is so frickin awesome for that, but the forums made me immediately seek out other alternative forums that aren't so impossible to digest.

Thanks again for all the good stuff!

#2 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. I recommend you peruse the Front Page. See a thread that interests you and have a read. If you aren’t interested in reading many pages you can skip to the last page. Over time you will see that Pinside is about more than just technical or game specific thoughts. It’s a community, a soap opera and fun. Try lurking for a while and you will get the feel for how the threads flow. It looks more daunting than it plays, just like Hercules pinball!

Don’t start with LIONMAN thread, you won’t like it for sure

#3 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

Key posts are one way Pinside manages the clutter. If there are key posts in a thread they will be linked at the top of every page in the thread. You’ll most often find key posts in a tech thread.

See this thread for an example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

I've been using forums on the interwebs for a long time, and I understand there are often a lot of duplicate threads created, but that's typically much more manageable than these 2000 post threads.

So your complaint is this forum is well established with hobbyist that frequent the topics often and posts are beyond the volume that you prefer to read through.
    I'm not sure what to think of that. Maybe some of us are more addicted in the hobby or just like communicating with our friends.
    -Mike

#5 3 years ago

It's a forum, its entire purpose is to foster conversation. You don't have to read all of a thread, if it's a topic that interests you and you want to participate just jump to the last few pages. You don't have to read through every thread. I have a stupid amount of posts here, and I barely keep up with even a handful of threads myself.

It takes a little bit of commitment to be part of a community, but that's not a bad thing. It keeps people invested.

If you're simply looking to suck up news and not discussion maybe try https://www.pinballnews.com instead?

#6 3 years ago

Pinside is the biggest and most active pinball forum on the interwebs
    there is a lot of information and help available to you
    you don't have to read every thread, but most topics have been covered and the search function works

#7 3 years ago

Best feature on Pinside? the 'Ignore' button---use it well and use it often, as it will make your experience here more enjoyable! Oh, and welcome!

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

First - I love the pinside top 100, market, pin map, and machine details. Absolutely stellar.
    The forums are REALLY daunting for a newbie though. The whole megathread concept with 8,000+ posts, and 200 pages is completely impractical for someone just starting with that thread today. I tried to just randomly pick through the stern/JP thread it was full of duplicate content, and people saying "I didn't read the previous 100 pages, but here's my question". I've been using forums on the interwebs for a long time, and I understand there are often a lot of duplicate threads created, but that's typically much more manageable than these 2000 post threads.
    I know I'm a newb here, and I know nobody is going to change just because I said so, but as far as I can tell there seems to be an interest in the pin community to keep manufacturers making new games, which means bringing in new people. This website is so frickin awesome for that, but the forums made me immediately seek out other alternative forums that aren't so impossible to digest.

Welcome to Pinside!

There are so many different aspects of our hobby - events, comps, modding, owning, maintenance, restoration, buying/selling, ... right down to circuit board repairs; and Pinside covers all these areas, so it can be quite daunting at first. To start off, it depends upon what you want to learn or read about, if it's just keeping up with what going on in the industry as a whole then https://www.pinballnews.com might be better as Aurich has mentioned above, however if you own a machine then following that machine's Pinside owners thread (mark it as a favorite) is a great way to learn about your machine and to ask people for advise that are familiar with your game. You may not ever branch out looking at the other areas of Pinside, but over time you may find yourself looking to buy or sell on the Pinside Marketplace or looking at other threads.

So do you own a machine, or are you looking at purchasing one or what are you interested in learning about?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

Very good first post; many of us have felt the same way at first. My advice: *-Use the search-*- post new threads, and start to favorite games/threads you are interested in.

Pinside has far more logical, user-friendly desires than ANY other forum, for any purpose. Prove
    Me wrong - I would love to see a better alternative, but I am pretty confident this is the ultimate.

That said, the best part of Pinside is the other users. So ask questions! Sure you’ll get a couple of d-bag answers - this is the internet! But I learned, we learned, you will learn by asking questions and getting involved.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

most topics have been covered and the search function works

This... the simplest way I reduced complexity and confidently went from one to many pins... Best Pro Machine? Batteries? Best Anti-reflection? Does a pin fit in my XYZ? Useful and low noise access to knowledge.

Have or getting a pin? Find the owners thread, read the prep/repair/tech Key Posts, search ‘pitch’ in the thread and you have a ready made checklist of common things identified for your collection. Bookmark posts to keep your own library.

Follow the mod makers in the Market. Follow the least abrasive and more erudite pinsiders. Add spice/variety here to taste...

Also, you are certain to expand your local network. So start there... Regional for sale threads, local machines and mods in the Market, and if you use the maps on the Machines page to look around you for pins on your wishlist or want to play, you can see what arcades have them, or pinsiders that publicly share what they post or own or want to potentially trade. Follow those local pinsiders too.

Read the ‘Don’t get scammed’ post on the Home Page.

Welcome.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

, but as far as I can tell there seems to be an interest in the pin community to keep manufacturers making new games, which means bringing in new people. ....

We do not seem be be experiencing any issues in the areas of new blood, nor do I think it's really needed.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks for the useful feedback folks. I'm continuing to dig around, and will continue to do so, and I appreciate the folks who pointed out some not-so-obvious-to-me things to do to make the experience a little better.

I guess I should clarify something -- I've been operating under the assumption that if I or someone else has a question to ask about Dialed In, that I should post it in the "Dialed in Owners & Fan Club" megathread. Maybe I'm ASS-U-ME'ing incorrectly!

If I had a question that wasn't obviously covered by the key topics, and a search didn't satisfy my question, would it be a faux pas for me to create a thread dedicated to my question? or should I add to the megathread?

I read through the rules and FAQ, and didn't see anything "enforcing" megathreads, which I had assumed was the case.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

Thanks for the useful feedback folks. I'm continuing to dig around, and will continue to do so, and I appreciate the folks who pointed out some not-so-obvious-to-me things to do to make the experience a little better.
    I guess I should clarify something -- I've been operating under the assumption that if I or someone else has a question to ask about Dialed In, that I should post it in the "Dialed in Owners & Fan Club" megathread. Maybe I'm ASS-U-ME'ing incorrectly!
    If I had a question that wasn't obviously covered by the key topics, and a search didn't satisfy my question, would it be a faux pas for me to create a thread dedicated to my question? or should I add to the megathread?
    I read through the rules and FAQ, and didn't see anything "enforcing" megathreads, which I had assumed was the case.

You can’t really go wrong either way. A game specific question, like about rules or how to adjust something on your pin that needs adjustment, is often something you will want to post in the “club” thread because you will get pretty quick feedback from a number of people.

If you are trying to fix something that just broke on your pin and are not sure what the problem is, starting a tech thread is often better. Lots of people read those and offer help. And, if someone else has the same problem down the road, it can be easier to find the solution by searching other’s tech thread which tend to be a lot shorter — anywhere from 2-3 posts to 40-50. Much easier to handle.

But either way, you’ll be fine. There isn’t really a rule about where to post. It is just a question of what is more efficient.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

Another great tip I would suggest, pinside search is great but does have some restrictions and intricacies, so you can also use google.

If you had a question about Dialed In, for example.... Literally "ask google", type the long-winded question into the google search bar. There is a fair chance someone else asked a similar question with some common key words. Choose from results at pinside.com, which will take you straight to the page where the search had some kind of match. Googles search engine is very strong. I have solved many obscure game specific issues exactly this way, without even needing to post!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

You can’t really go wrong either way.....
    But either way, you’ll be fine. There isn’t really a rule about where to post. It is just a question of what is more efficient.

Cool thanks. That helps to clear things up a little bit for me. I had it in my mind that the megathreads were enforced somehow, and all the information for Dialed in would be contained in a single dialed in megathread, but it appears they're more just a preference for a lot of users who like that style of communicating. cool enough.

Based on this clarification, and subsequent browsing I've done where I've found useful info outside of megathreads, I'll retract my critique for management I know they were really worried about my feedback, so that ought to be a relief.

Thanks folks.

#16 3 years ago

Yeah - with the game specific questions it’s usually always better to ask in the club ‘mega’ threads - otherwise they can get lost down the main page pretty quickly and many owners of the game would/could miss it easily. It’s ok to duplicate questions on the club threads.. it happens all the time with common issues on the games and new owners coming in

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

Cool thanks. That helps to clear things up a little bit for me. I had it in my mind that the megathreads were enforced somehow, .

nothing pinball related is enforced on Pinside

moderators are pretty laid back

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah - with the game specific questions it’s usually always better to ask in the club ‘mega’ threads - otherwise they can get lost down the main page pretty quickly and many owners of the game would/could miss it easily. It’s ok to duplicate questions on the club threads.. it happens all the time with common issues on the games and new owners coming in

Yep good point. +1

Common questions do repeatedly come up on the owners thread, so worthwhile doing a quick search in the thread for what you want but if you can't find anything reasonably quickly then ask away

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

Cool thanks. That helps to clear things up a little bit for me. I had it in my mind that the megathreads were enforced somehow, and all the information for Dialed in would be contained in a single dialed in megathread, but it appears they're more just a preference for a lot of users who like that style of communicating. cool enough.
    Based on this clarification, and subsequent browsing I've done where I've found useful info outside of megathreads, I'll retract my critique for management I know they were really worried about my feedback, so that ought to be a relief.
    Thanks folks.

Also, the Dialed In club thread has one of the better key post indexes at the front. You can check there for common issues and how people resolved them. When I first got the game, it was very useful to just go through those key posts rather than try to absorb the whole thread.

#20 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinball and Pinside. I recommend the favorite button to the right of a thread topic.

8A95F6C7-7C13-40F8-B5F2-F5597ACA9D19 (resized).jpeg8A95F6C7-7C13-40F8-B5F2-F5597ACA9D19 (resized).jpeg
    #21 3 years ago

To switch back and forth between your favorite topics list and the whole list is easy.

354D6E41-FE9F-4647-83D7-21EC0F44A431 (resized).jpeg354D6E41-FE9F-4647-83D7-21EC0F44A431 (resized).jpeg
    #22 3 years ago

I'm new. I have no complaints or suggestions for how the site should be run better. I'm enjoying reading about pinball machines. Down the rabbit hole I go.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm new. I have no complaints or suggestions for how the site should be run better. I'm enjoying reading about pinball machines. Down the rabbit hole I go.

Welcome to Pinside Mr. Marino! Big fan of your NFL work. Stop by for a beer.

#24 3 years ago

Uh oh. We’ve done it again. If too many people comment on a thread it will go “on fire”. There’s an icon showing it’s popular right now. The problem is that if you’re not confirmed as a real person you can’t comment on it anymore, even it is your own thread. This was started to reduce spamming accounts years ago.

I forget the process to get confirmed but remember it was simple to do. Check your profile page.

Then you will get a little check mark beside your name in the forums. It helps to weed out trolls.

#25 3 years ago
    8913E9A5-CB3A-44E7-848E-2C385ECC5A5F (resized).png8913E9A5-CB3A-44E7-848E-2C385ECC5A5F (resized).png
    #26 3 years ago

Turn off what you are not interested in just by turning off clubs is a big help

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Turn off what you are not interested in just by turning off clubs is a big help

This! The Front Page will be constantly refilled with all the club threads otherwise.

Be aware that turning clubs off also hides the ones you want, so favorite them first and access them via the favorites page.
    (I tried asking for a feature whereby being in your favorites overrides the Front Page categorical turn-off, got crickets...)

#28 3 years ago

Just remember: your membership isn’t official until you start a pinball pricing thread.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just remember: your membership isn’t official until you start a pinball pricing thread.

I can issue a wiaver for a "problems with top 100" also.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

nothing pinball related is enforced on Pinside
    moderators are pretty laid back

Yah I haven't been on here all that long but this seems to be the case.

That being said make sure you realize this is the internet and you may need a thick skin on here once in a while.

and the top 100 is bunk.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha, your post makes it sound like you like those.

#32 3 years ago

The only reason there are megathreads is because, as you say, people ask the same question over and over again, as they can't be bothered to read the thread in its entirety, look at the key posts, or do a simple search.

Don't be one of those people, and certainly don't preface your question with "I haven't read the previous 'x' pages, but..."

#33 3 years ago

I adorbs this forum. I don't post much but have spent hours and hours reading these threads and learning about machines and who the drama queens are. Pinside is fanfreakingtastic......

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unsolicited-forum-feedback-from-a-newbie?hl=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.