49 days ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by Adaminski
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 49 days ago

Im trying to understand something maybe you pinsiders can help me with.
    I would like to know how top games unshopped no Leds no ramp replacements no flipper rebuilds. No cliffys. No nothing!! And because these game are priced $1000 below a fully shopped and redone game in excellent condition do they keep getting a great deal glws posts? I just dont get it on here?
    These games will cost more for parts and time spent doing a full tear down and rebuild then spending. $1000 for a beautiful game ready to go with mods and everything.
    I just dont get it?

#2 49 days ago

There are 3 types of pinsiders, the ones who enjoy cleaning, repairing, and upgrading and the ones who just want the game to show up and plug and play, and then the 3rd who wants a perfect HEP restore so they can sit there and watch it collect dust.

#3 49 days ago

I looked this up awhile back. I've said "GLWS" earnestly in the past, but to many it's kind of a sarcastic remark meaning "you've over priced this thing and will need luck to sell it."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glws

#4 49 days ago

Some people like projects and doing the work themselves if it saves them a few bucks.

Quoted from Adaminski:

I looked this up awhile back. I've said "GLWS" earnestly in the past, but to many it's kind of a sarcastic remark meaning "you've over priced this thing and will need luck to sell it."
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glws

It's not always sarcastic. Sometimes it's sincere.

#5 49 days ago

I can do a tear down shop, LEDs and adjust /clean mechs for $500 or less. I dont count my time as enjoy it.
    Plus I hate most mods except color dmd and leds

#6 49 days ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

Here in the south, if we preface it with 'bless your heart', then it's sarcastic.

#7 49 days ago

Thanks for the imput guys. I was saying this because of looking at the market place and seeing games priced within 1000 of the 4-8k game prices for fully shopped out nice games. I always needed incentive to take on a tear down for a complicated game and spend money on parts. If in the end i spend more for the cheaper game then just buying one already done. Whats the lure?
    I would be thinking. Whats the sense in even making a game nice if no one wants it after its all done?

#8 49 days ago

Huh. I thought shopping out a pin was called "maintenance".

#9 49 days ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Whats the sense in even making a game nice if no one wants it after its all done?

For me it's just actually doing it. Case in point my most recent endeavor:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-motordome-with-a-makeover

Been sitting over a month not even a nibble, previous customers of mine are wishing me GLWS but I've not taken offense to it, maybe I should have.

#10 49 days ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Whats the sense in even making a game nice if no one wants it after its all done?

There are plenty of people who want games that are plug & play ready. There are also people who like a bargain and do the work themselves. It's not an exclusive either/or.

I mostly buy projects at a lower price and do the work myself. But I've also bought games that were plug & play ready or nearly so.

It just depends upon what a buyer has their eye out for.

Quoted from gameon46:

If in the end i spend more for the cheaper game then just buying one already done.

If you're spending too much, you might want to re-evaluate what you're paying for project games, or what you're paying for parts. I usually buy parts in batches to save money in quantity and in shipping. You should also keep a note of which suppliers are the least expensive for certain things and just don't go to one supplier for everything by default. Shopping around a bit can save a significant amount.

#11 49 days ago

Im just so confused because of people wanting to pay unshopped prices for a game thats had hours and lots of money put into it.
    Maintenance to me would be keeping it clean and twicked and repaired where needed after a full tear down had been done.
    I mean heck why even do a shop job if i can pay a low ball offer for a nice game and have to do nothing but play it?

#12 49 days ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Im trying to understand something maybe you pinsiders can help me with.
    I would like to know how top games unshopped no Leds no ramp replacements no flipper rebuilds. No cliffys. No nothing!! And because these game are priced $1000 below a fully shopped and redone game in excellent condition do they keep getting a great deal glws posts? I just dont get it on here?
    These games will cost more for parts and time spent doing a full tear down and rebuild then spending. $1000 for a beautiful game ready to go with mods and everything.
    I just dont get it?

I'll give you an example. I personally buy and sell games rather quickly, having gone through 10 in the past year (I currently have 3 up). This weekend I picked up a White Water and Fish Tales. The Fish Tales is as close to perfect as I will ever get, with clear coat, side wrap, LEDs, some powder coat, upgraded speakers... as nice of a machine as I've ever gotten. It was $3600 and worth $3600 all day long to me as Fish Tales is one of my favorites and I'm sure I could quickly get my money back out. I could have gotten a beat up one for $2900 but had the funds and went with the nicer one. I ALMOST bought a Twilight Zone instead... I see you have one in the market for $7500. It is very nice and worth every penny. I ALMOST bought a players Twilight zone instead... for $5600. If I bought that Twilight Zone for $5600, I would have kept it for a few months, played the crap out of it, and then sold it for about what I paid for it. I wasn't looking at the one you were selling because it was simply out of the budget. I would have had EXACTLY the same amount of fun playing your Twilight Zone as the cheaper one, it just would have looked ugly. Sometimes you are not looking for a piece of furniture and just want something fun to play.

With that said, your Twilight Zone (and topper) looks gorgeous. GLWTS!

#13 49 days ago

No way you're getting $1k into a game without doing restoration work. Even with major parts missing.

#14 49 days ago

I used to buy projects all the time. Over a 100 of them. Now the projects are almost as much as the nice games

#15 49 days ago

I got you on wanting a cheap game and saving. Ive been there many times. Heck i used to do tear downs all the time. But when your talking high end games. Thats a lot of work too. And it can be fun to some also. But i would think that a tear down shop and new parts would add a $1000 to a high end game over one with all old plastics ramps clocks incandescent bulbs ect ect. No?

#16 49 days ago

Was a partial restoration on my TZ. Needed new side art as it was faded bad on one side. Couldn't have a TZ sitting in my living room looking sad

#17 49 days ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

I used to buy projects all the time. Over a 100 of them. Now the projects are almost as much as the nice games

Very very true. TAF and TZ are prime examples of that. It really makes a person stick to a budget to be able to buy it and then not being able to do anything else to it. I figured remakes would drop original prices and I havent seen much of that either. This pin market needs a price correction like the stock market to happen.

#18 49 days ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Im just so confused because of people wanting to pay unshopped prices for a game thats had hours and lots of money put into it.
    Maintenance to me would be keeping it clean and twicked and repaired where needed after a full tear down had been done.
    I mean heck why even do a shop job if i can pay a low ball offer for a nice game and have to do nothing but play it?

Putting hours and hours of shopping into a game that has other issues - say for example, a damaged playfield (planking, artwork, worn spots, etc), or a semi-wrecked up cabinet - will NEVER get the full value of a pristine game. Shopping is sort of a basic level of maintenance , but if you are looking for the top dollar on a game, it had better be really close to perfect

#19 49 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

There are 3 types of pinsiders, the ones who enjoy cleaning, repairing, and upgrading and the ones who just want the game to show up and plug and play, and then the 3rd who wants a perfect HEP restore so they can sit there and watch it collect dust.

Don't forget about that 4th type who we have possibly determined attempts to negotiate a buy and a sell of the exact same machine prior to picking it up... thus ruining someones Christmas.

#20 49 days ago

I wanted to sell my TZ together with the topper to a good home. But it dont look like that will happen. So ive sepperated them. My 7500 is with a obo. I cant sell a TZ with a IGT topper for 7500 lol

#21 49 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Consider me a 4th kind of pinsider then.
    Hopes for plug n play pins, but never expects it. Doesn't mind, cleaning, fixing and upgrading when needed. Plays and shares his HEP pins with others whenever the opportunity arrises.

#22 49 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

yep and I am all three!

#23 49 days ago

I'm not sure I really follow the question. Are you asking why people don't do this work before selling a game? Or are you asking why people don't want to pay more for the work to be done for them?

Either way I doubt you are going to get down to a consistent root cause. Not everyone cares if a game is 100% clean and spotless. As long as the game looks and plays good to me I'll clean it up a bit more if I need to, maybe change the rubbers if they are terrible and play the heck out of it. Otherwise I'll just address stuff as it happens or starts to bother me.

#24 49 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are plenty of people who want games that are plug & play ready

I have never bought a pinball machine that was plug and play NIB or other. Maybe its me...

#25 49 days ago

Wow hep pins. There's a guy that likes nice games. Ive gotten to the same stag of the game. Would rather buy a game ready to go then spend all my time and money fixing one up. If i could get atop tier game for 5k or under sure. But i see some downright ugly games for close to 6k and some over that

#26 49 days ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

yep and I am all three!

YEP, and the a combination of all of them.

#27 49 days ago

Im looking at the price difference between the nice ones and ugly games crying for help. Lol

#28 49 days ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I have never bought a pinball machine that was plug and play NIB or other.

And this includes the HEP CV that I bought! No Plug and Play for me... I guess its a curse...

#29 49 days ago

I’ve bought pins that I knew needed a shop.....

I’ve bought pins in “great shape” that actually needed a shop and board work....

I’ll keep buying the ones I know need work for a cheaper price. My labor is free, it’s fun.

#30 49 days ago

I’m cheap and I like to fix things. I also like EM games. Almost of the the games I’ve seen are beat up and require a restoration. Even the nice ones need looks of work to look great. Because of this I prefer to spend $300 on a game with the idea it won’t bother me to pay for all the PBR orders and trips to the store for paint. When I’m done it doesn’t matter how much the game cost me since I’m keeping it. For me this is a hobby and the longer it takes is just more bang for the buck just like any entertainment.

#31 49 days ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

The supply of project games is dwindling and demand is increasing. There have been a lot of people entering the hobby in the past several years.

A few years ago, I bough a project high speed that flipped but needed some repairs for about $450. Back then, I though that was a little pricey at the time, but figured since it was mostly working, it wasn't a bad deal. Now, it's tough to find a project high speed under $1k in decent condition. If you want one for less, it's going to be dead, worn, and banged up pretty good.

Quoted from gameon46:

Im looking at the price difference between the nice ones and ugly games crying for help. Lol

Nice, shopped games will always get more than games that need work. It works pretty much the same way in any other collector's hobby.

#32 49 days ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Consider me a 4th kind of pinsider then.
    Hopes for plug n play pins, but never expects it. Doesn't mind, cleaning, fixing and upgrading when needed. Plays and shares his HEP pins with others whenever the opportunity arrises.

You need to live closer to me.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Here in the south, if we preface it with 'bless your heart', then it's sarcastic.

I've lived in Mississippi, and my wife interacts with teachers from all over the country. We know about that saying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 7,300.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 129.25
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.04
    Playfield - Plastics
    F14 Tomcat Slingshots Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 26.95
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 17.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside