Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by jahbarron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 days ago

It started with a Captain Nemo that I saw on pinside, a few years back, for sale in the US. In the preoder days, I had almost bought the game, as I am a big Jules Vernes fan. Game looks and looked beautiful, the price was good too (I think it was like 4500$) but I passed, as I am not talented enough to fix it or make new parts when things went South. So, all these pins I see on the market, including MG, Alien, and TBL or even Bride of Pinbot 2.0, I would be scared of owning them, as I would not know what to do if things broke. And I am a collector (sucker that pays too much). I wonder how BBB owners felt way back then (any input there welcome)? Obviously there is an aftermarket for BBB now, but will there ever be for the others for parts and repairs, forget upgrades?

#2 8 days ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I wonder how BBB owners felt way back then (any input there welcome)?

I bought an original Jan. 3rd, 2000.

Didn't worry about parts or keeping it going.

If you are going to worry about stuff, you'll never have any fun.

LTG : )

#3 8 days ago

Just look at all the parts and repair options for older classic games. There's lots of stuff available, and lots of talented people making it happen. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm fairly handy, and I enjoy the repair side of the pinball hobby; bringing dead games back to life.

So, between my abilities and the abilities of others in the community, rare games with limited or no parts doesn't really scare me too much. Just about every problem has a solution.

Have you seen some of the alien repair threads? Lots of people are pitching in to help owners tune up and fix their games. I think that's pretty cool to see the passion about one specific game and the work people put in to keep them going and to help others keep theirs going.

#4 8 days ago

I have a Shaq Attaq I haven't been able to fix. I bought it for cheap off of a guy who wasn't able to fix it thinking that I knew more than he did and I'd up and running in no time. It's been a year and a half.

#5 8 days ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

I have a Shaq Attaq I haven't been able to fix. I bought it for cheap off of a guy who wasn't able to fix it thinking that I knew more than he did and I'd up and running in no time. It's been a year and a half.

Have you made a thread in the tech section? System 3 games are generally pretty stable platforms, so you should be able to get some help ironing it out.

#6 8 days ago

I doubt there's anything that isn't technically repairable if you have the right skills or know the right people

#7 8 days ago

When I started in this hobby the first game I purchased for home was a Bally Mata Hari, because I too thought that I should purchase a game that had a large number of available replacement parts. There were many of this game, and games in this series of Bally infrastructure that I felt parts would be easier to come by.

Much later in the hobby, I no longer have that philosophy and later aquired Revenge From Mars. I scoff at the thought that people shy away from buying a pinball 2000 because of the fear of the unique Prism card and computer mainboard crapping out. That didn't scare me at all, and now some years later I am currently running an emulated version on an after market PC, and it is even better than I thought. The only part I really worry about is the special playfield glass, although I see it often for sale. It's just expensive.

#8 8 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

My thoughts exactly. Buy what you like playing and seek help if/when you need it.

#9 8 days ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Or at the least send your boards out to Rob Anthony., Chris Hibler or Coin-Op Cauldron for repair. Just because you got it cheap, doesn't mean you have to be cheap about getting it running.

There will be other games to work on in your future.

#10 8 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Or at the least send your boards out to Rob A., Chris Hibler or Coin-Op Cauldron for repair. Just because you got it cheap, doesn't mean you have to be cheap about getting it running.

I don't have personal experience with the other two, but Chris Hibler is A+ all around and reasonable considering the time involved in board repairs.

#11 8 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I bought an original Jan. 3rd, 2000.
LTG : )

Why don't you come visit me every winter then when it is arctic cold in MN?

#12 7 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Or at the least send your boards out to Rob Anthony., Chris Hibler or Coin-Op Cauldron for repair. Just because you got it cheap, doesn't mean you have to be cheap about getting it running.

It’s not a board issue. That’s already been ruled out. It’s some buggery with the lamp/switch matrix.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-end-of-ball#post-4846987

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside