Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider truemagoo102.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 2 years ago

I'll go first. As much as I LOVE the theme I feel Funhouse has the most boring Lawlor design. Want to get the ball to your upper left flipper? Don't shoot it through the pops, shoot the lock shot, it's a much safer and you can hit the side shots better. Theres no reason to target the right side of the playfield at all. Lawlor, much love, but thank god for Rudy- without him the game would be a snoozefest.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

WWE isn’t a bad game.
    Agree FH is overrated, so is CC.
    Hobbit is JJPs best game.
    I prefer original orange plasma displays (AN and DMD) to LED or color screen replacements.

I agree with you on all points except Hobbit..my fav JJP is another unpopular opinion... WOZ.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Is that unpopular?
    I think most people would say WOZ or POTC is their best.
    WOZ was also a hobby-defining game changer for pinball.

All my local friends *HATE* WOZ - and to their point I get it, we had it at our local bar for a year or two and it wasn't a particularly good playing example. The theme for me though is just incredible and has many unique concepts in one game. It does have the issue I have with all JJP games though... a lot of flipping with a convoluted "end goal" which sometimes just happens, you have no idea why, or how you got there.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneranger:

Please don't kill me for saying this but:
    JJP Guns N Roses isn't fun.
    Star Wars The Pin is the best Star Wars pinball machine.
    Pinsound ruins the vibe of most games - you can't beat the original soundtrack.

I agree with you on the Pinsound point- EXCEPT Data East games. Something about the soundcard they used... really grinds my gears.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

I have a theory that the original title for the game was supposed to be "Breaking News" as it is mentioned in the game and fits the actual theme perfectly.
    Obviously they went with Dialed-In because it was a pinball pun and fit with the "phone" screen they were adding to the game. However over the few years I owned the game it became apparent the real soul is Pat taking the piss out of the modern news cycle in a light-hearted way.

Wasn't the original art like a cheesy black and white disaster movie? (Hence the spider value and such) I'd love to see how it got so mangled as a concept. If they kept it as a disaster movie (like GZ) I think it would have sold way more games. It's a shame, cuz it's a great shooting game.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Royal Crown soda is better than Pepsi and Coke.

I totally agree with you there- Byproduct of years of dive bars.

#180 2 years ago

Yes everyone... keep it civil. It's literally a thread called unpopular opinions. Take the downvotes as a badge of honor. To quote Rudy (going full circle here) "Hey... it's only pinball"

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Python did all of the main artwork on Bride. It’s his best looking one by far!
    Flipper Football is a good game, if it had real alternate scoring code people would love it.

Whoa whoa whoa, I wouldn't say by far. the original has an orb painted in that shows the player in the reflection. Probably the coolest art "easter egg" in pinball.

Another hot take- Lights Camera Action is deeper, has more mechs and is more fun than any Bally/Williams of the time- if Gottlieb stayed on course and didn't go "street level" they could have rivaled B/W in the early 90s.

1 week later
    #357 2 years ago

Fathom- classic for 1981. Killer art package. But shooting it... I don't care what kind of 2.0 code Mermaid edition is- you can't recode the shots.

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

That's a thing?

It's the sole reason I sold my POTO. I watched someone miss the skill shot (which is the best way to start multiball) nudge the ball so it drains down the middle, and the game will give you a skill shot again. I tried it...sure enough, it works. You can even drain multiple times. Totally killed the game for me.

1 week later
    #418 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

More like a cat being strangled, but yeah...I'm right there with ya'.

I'd take Adele over Billie Eilish anyday...

#427 2 years ago

Using Rush members as voice actors was a bad idea. Callouts sound uninspired and borderline sarcastic. Watching the reveal I'm getting flashbacks to 24 and Chloe's "Jackpahht..." WHERE'S CHRIS GRANNER WHEN WE NEED HIM?

1 month later
    #567 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

ok, who is actually buying pinball trading cards except for their kids?
    society has jumped the shark

Yeah, a lot of respect for Walter Day, and I appreciate his part in video game history, but pinball trading cards... those poor trees that sacrificed their lives... for THAT.... I'm just sad.

1 week later
    #646 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

This is a popular opinion.

Here's an unpopular opinion (at least with my friends):

Fishing > Golfing > Hunting

I respect hunters but it's a ton of waiting for a couple minutes of fun and then.... all the work.

4 weeks later
    #760 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

NCAA Hockey Tournament > NCAA Basketball Tournament

I'd go farther and say Hockey > Basketball - or pretty much most sports. Just a really well regulated game with not a lot of stopping and starting. And shootouts are cool, sorry all you purists.

#767 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The TWIPYs are unwatchable

All award shows are unwatchable. Any of the EGOTs are just circle jerk pageants that just help pad each other's resumes.

#814 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

After playing a few, most games would better off without a 2.0 kit.

I absolutely DESPISE 2.0 kits. They make me sad and angry at the same time. Best part of Funhouse is the art package, the voice of Rudy and Granners brilliant soundtrack. By adding a completely unnecessary new code (game is still clunky to shoot) you've taken the soul out of the game. I refuse to buy a 2.0 kit, and won't support a company building them. Want a new code? Build more games!!! I'm on board with Fathom Mermaid edition because they are putting more games into the world, but there's only a finite supply of the ones we have, we should preserve them. Bride of Pinbot 2.0 is a travesty and if Python was still alive there would be hell to pay...

2 weeks later
    #862 2 years ago

80s Gottliebs are better tournament games than 80s Williams games.

1 week later
    #905 1 year ago

Uh... can be get back to pinball related opinions here? I mean... we're kinda on a pinball site.

1 month later
    #1063 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Stern's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the most underrated machine of the Spike 2 lineup.
    Like Stranger Things, early code turned some people off, and Covid really thwarted its momentum. Also, the combination of Borg & Dwight can be a bit frustrating for location play, because it's a table the requires instinctual reflexes and time investment into the code - not ideal for location play, and the theme is just slightly too young-skewing for most home-owners, so the old farts will not understand its appeal.
    TMNT 2020 is probably the best deal new machine you can buy. I've seen LEs for less than 10K here. Guaranteed that will change in a few years once the current ~ 35-40 year olds have some cash to buy their dream theme, which is absolutely is for many kids of the 80s.

TMNT has been a slow burn for me in tournament play. HATED it initially, then was meh, now it's one of my favorites. The callouts/music/sound is absolutely dreadful but the game is fun to shoot and it's got a ton more depth/strategy than people give it credit for.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider truemagoo102.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread?tu=truemagoo102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.