Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryguy80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#108 2 years ago

White Water and Fish Tales are overrated, especially for the price they are commanding.

1 week later
    #309 2 years ago

The new Sterns don't have as much charm or personality as Williams System 11 games.

1 week later
    #376 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

People that own 10+ pinball machines have no justification for complaining about high prices. Sell one buy one!

Having more than 10 pins in a collection seems pointless...you know there's one machine collecting dust from not being played.

#399 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Lots of games have the free ball save if nothing is hit going for the skill shot. Whirlwind and RZ come to mind. Although it's hard not to hit anything on whirlwind

Pfff...Ball saves? Play better. There's no coddling in pinball!

#414 2 years ago

Stern releasing new pins amidst a back order of previously announced pins due to supply chain issues will cause the pin buying craze/bubble to burst. Feels like a wreckless business model.

1 week later
    #466 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Mods are fucking stupid and should be saved for children. Modders ruin game threads by filling them with their self-indulgent images: "look at me! I buy fucking toys for kids and put them in my pinball machine." AAAARRRRGGG!
    Rant over.

Between that and the clown puke LEDs. If you are going to personalize a machine like that, don't expect to sell and everyone to have the same tastes.

2 weeks later
    #481 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't feel bad. I still hate TZ.

Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars don't do anything for me. I get the appeal of MM, but I find AFM to be grossly overrated. The playfield layout is horrendous.

#485 2 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Agree 100%.
    What is the big knock on Revenge From Mars by the general pinball group? "gee, all you have to do is bash the center". What is the strategy on Attack From Mars? BASH THE CENTER! Yet RFM doesn't get much (if any) respect, and AFM is revered.

Then you have games like Police Force that get crapped on for hitting the millions center ramp over and over. I guess if it's an alien theme, then it's ok.

#504 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Curling should be a prime time sporting event.

Mixed doubles is more fun to watch than a standard match.

#548 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I've curled and it is a blast and very much a sport. I'm sure some curlers are saying similar things about pinball.

I see the similarities between the two. Both involve strategy on shot placement and using objects on the playfield/surface to get from point A to point B, whether it is a silver ball or stone.

#578 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Most Texans believe that beans in chili ruins it, but I have found the further north you go in the U.S...the more it tends to be accepted.

Yep, but the time you get to MN/WI, it’s more beans than chili.

#583 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm not sure how "unpopular" this opinion is...but Stranger things isn't very good to me. The theme is good, but the gameplay is really lacking. I have no clue why someone would pay what they are going for these days

Played a Pro and didn’t care for it. Bashing the monster was cool, but the only fun memory of it.

#614 2 years ago

Police Force is the most underrated Williams System 11 game.

#635 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I know this will be unpopular, but this is honestly my 2 choices of games I would like to see made:
    1. Gold Rush based on the TV shows, with a lot of construction equipment for toys and looks, and callouts from Tony Beets and Parker.
    2. Deadliest Catch, based on the TV shows, with callouts from all the captain's past and present in that show.

A Deadliest Catch theme would have been great. 15 years ago it would have been a hit at peak popularity, but I think it still draws a decent crowd now. That's the problem with all these themes coming out, whether it's Godzilla, Rush, Weird Al...they are all antiquated in today's pop culture.

#655 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

45 years ago, I loved RC cola, but I always hated Dr. Pepper.
    (For whatever reason most of my girlfriends through the years have liked that nasty drink. I call it Dr. Pecker).
    The worst soda ever was Tab. It is still hard to believe my parents liked that crap.

Pepsi>RC Cola>Coke

1 week later
    #671 2 years ago

I feel like pin collecting has become a clown show...people pricing pins ridiculously more than market value, quality control issues on newer pins, and scam/shady pin businesses popping up trying to take people's money.

1 week later
    #696 2 years ago

The 1980s and 1990s were the two greatest decades in American history.

#714 2 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Anyway, I love having at least one real pinball machine but video pinball is a great way to get variety without having to buy fifteen pins.

Buying fifteen pins is pretty much out of reach for a lot of people these days. With gas prices climbing, more people are going to op for sticking around home and dumping money into home entertainment (i.e. pins), further driving pin values up. The Pinball Arcade satisfies my craving for the older Williams/Ballys games that I don’t have the space, money, or accessibility to play a real example.

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from luigi90:

The majority of themes for modern pinball machines are in bad taste and don't appeal to anyone under the age of 40 (and that is pushing it)

Agreed. Today’s themes are too niche and lack universal appeal.

Are you a hardcore fan of early Godzilla films? Yeah, me neither.

1 week later
    #733 2 years ago

If someone refers to a pin as a pinball table, I don't lose sleep over it. Every other inanimate object that has four legs is called a table (kitchen table, end table, coffee table, etc.). Exception is nightstand.

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Pinside:
    A.Worships stern like it can't do wrong.
    B.90s Williams/bally seems the defining metric to measure up any modern pin.
    C. If you talk about rising prices people want more in prices.
    D. Of it isn't a flow fest it's a bad game.
    More later >

Added yesterday: E. Orginal themes idea is a no go, it's gotta be a theme where streamers cannot stream an entire deal including muting the music.
    Want cheaper pins no more licenses.

If it's not a good tournament pin, it's a bad game as well.

#759 2 years ago

NCAA Hockey Tournament > NCAA Basketball Tournament

2 weeks later
    #830 2 years ago
    Quoted from prl867:

I miss Hollywood Video a lot more than Blockbuster.

Yep, HV was underrated. Could find titles in inventory for rent whereas Blockbuster was out because everyone went there first looking for movies.

2 weeks later
    #869 1 year ago
    Quoted from prl867:

True statement. I also liked that Hollywood Video at least attempted to make the video store an “experience”.
    The employees all wore white pleated tuxedo shirts with vests and bow ties, and my local one even had fresh movie popcorn for sale.

Yep, and they had this video wall where they advertised upcoming releases for rental. This was before the World Wide Web took off, so this was one way to get info on what was on deck.

#878 1 year ago

Unpopular opinion: Twitter is worse than Facebook.

#880 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I think without choosing sides on a topic the freedom to post should not include the freedom to lie or make shit up.who decides whats a lie is the slippery slope.

You already have Hollywood for making shit up. Example: HBO Max's "Winning Time". People that don't understand NBA history will come out of that show thinking Jerry West was some over-the-top rage-a-holic.

1 week later
    #950 1 year ago

Unpopular opinion: All game ratings on Pinside should require rating comments in order to justify scores given.

4 weeks later
    #1057 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I don't disagree. but prices that seemed to be good deals a couple months ago are standing still. Summer slump or not, that $5 per gallon of gas is a glaring reminder of what could be in for the future. Surprisingly I am not a stern guy, but i'm interested to see what will be in store for their Q3 startup and how it will impact the market

Don't we wish we could buy games for prices like back in the day. I don't think there will ever be an "arcade crash" for pinball, or even pre covid pricing. But I will say that the more expensive this hobby gets, the harder it is to get your money back. For example, I believe there will be an influx of guys that will be upset considering they bought into a MMR for 14k on inflated market. A year later, they try to resell the machine and the economy isn't as good, the market changed, but now can only get 12k. I feel there are a few volatile titles that have fallen into that criteria, TAF, TOTAN, any LE, MMR. We can all agree the titles are good, but with bigger financial commitment, comes bigger financial value fluctuation. But who knows

When the U.S. is headed for a (severe?) recession, the first thing to be impacted are luxury items (i.e. pins). I'm in the mindset now of starting to put money away and appreciate what I got. If nothing comes of it, great, it's extra money, but if worse case scenario hits, I'll be ok for a while.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryguy80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread?tu=ryguy80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.