Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyGBev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#796 2 years ago

Mr. and Mrs. Pac Man is a good game - Margaret Hudson's art, sound package, skill shot, etc. But it would be even better if the video mode wasn't so predictable. Prediction: A code update will fix that and then it will enjoy a surge in popularity.

#799 2 years ago

I think that the linear Bally flipper design that Vid1900 and others hate is just fine. Yeah I know, it has more mass to move than the older design, but in a side to side test in my Centaur I can tell no performance difference. There is a different feel to the linears, but that was part of the original game and I don't want to mess with it if I don't have a good reason to.

#800 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

...if you want to update something, make those old sounds stereo if they're not already, put in stereo speakers and a subwoofer, and crank that delicious Meteor noise up!

With the Arduino/BSOS platform you can do that yourself, and still have the new deeper rules. Someone will do it.

#804 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Nice I'm not offended by adding on to the rules that are there, but replacing the sound design of a game? IMO that makes the game not the game anymore

Agreed that the original sounds often can't be beat. The pseudo-random white noise and other effects in Silverball Mania and other Ballys with the -51 sound board: I will never tire of that. It is so right. And I imagine a better amp and speaker will only improve it.

#813 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

this this this!
    I am a huge cheerleader for people that update code to old games and I think Mr. and Mrs. Pacman is a perfect contender for an update.

Well, good news: With the free open source BSOS project, all the Bally and Stern classics can be updated, and with CD quality sound (whether that's just a good re-sampling of the classic sound, or literally anything else). Dick Hamill started it. There's no stopping it now.
    Williams System 3 through 9 coming soon.

You can do it all yourself, or buy a PCB kit and/or a ready to install setup from several vendors.

Shameless plug: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball

1 week later
    #849 2 years ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Almost every custom shooter rod looks like a buttplug. I don't understand the appeal.

The appeal of a buttplug? Do I really have to explain that?

3 weeks later
    #936 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Peanuts is a laff riot compared to many others.

Josh Fruhlinger of The Comics Curmudgeon said this about it, and I agree:

"In the last few years of Charles Schulz’s life, the strip was loopy and sentimental; but the stuff they’re repeating now reminds us that for most of its history Peanuts was about loss, failure, and longing for things you can’t have. Almost everyone in the strip had such doomed romantic feelings: Lucy for Schroeder, Sally for Linus, Peppermint Patty for Charlie Brown, Marcie for Peppermint Patty, and so on. Charlie Brown’s unrequited love for the little red-haired girl is legendary, of course, and the rest of his life isn’t much better. His baseball team won only one game in the strip’s history, and then had to forfeit because their outfielder, 5-year-old Rerun, bet on the game. His baseball hero is always on the verge of being sent to the minors. He is bullied by his psychologist and is largely ignored by his dog, who refers to him as 'that round-headed kid.' They don’t mention any of this when they use him to sell insurance.

Snoopy is probably the only character in the strip who is generally happy, largely because of his ability to retreat into fantasy."

1 month later
    #1085 1 year ago

I like most of the System 1 Gottliebs, and I like keeping them original when possible. If the spider chips are good, the game can be fixed and bulletproofed with ground mods, connectors, power supply rebuild, and the diodes installed on the driver board. I like that the little four-bit cash register brain has to blink all of the displays every time the score changes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyGBev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread?tu=RoyGBev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.