Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.
    #1101 1 year ago

#1102 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

That's kind of the idea. It's an equalizer and a power. A petite elderly lady would have no chance protecting herself against a large male home intruder without one. I believe the problems are with people abusing powers and a lack of respect for authority and law, not guns.

You think over 10,000 people a year are killed by guns in the US because of a lack of respect for law and authority, and not the over 100 million guns in this country? Really? There are 120 guns for every 100 citizens.

Know how many people were murdered by firearms in Canada in 2020? If you guessed 278, you're too high.

Maybe solve the problem of why the large male intruder was breaking into the house in the first place - he wanted something she had, and through a lack of education, opportunity, drug addiction, whatever, that was the choice. There will always be career criminals who would rather break into homes than work, but I think they are the minority. Can I fix these huge societal imbalances and problems? No. But the guy isn't breaking into a house because he's bored.

Wife and I went to an open house in our neighborhood yesterday just for kicks, it was the same ranch model as ours and we wanted to see their layout. They had a big steel cage kinda thing on the outer front door like you see in downtown Detroit, and wife says, "That's weird seeing a front door like that in this neighborbood." The houses are all between $300-400k. We all have it pretty good, nobody is wanting for anything, so it's a different mindset. We aren't really worried about our prosperous neighbors breaking in to steal a tv or jewelry because they can buy it themselves.

Every country on earth experiences these problems, but none come even remotely close to our murder rates. The only difference is the guns.

#1103 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

How to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers? Ban sober drivers from driving. That's exactly how gun control works.

Remember when you were kids acting up in the pool and finally some adult said, "Ok, that's it, everyone out of the pool"?

Well, that's how gun control WORKS.

Yes, you legally own your gun. Yes, you keep it safely stored and have taken classes to use it properly. But the rest of society has fucked it up and now everyone has to get out of the pool. Drive by shootings? Not when there are no guns. And I don't recall anyone stabbing 25 schoolchildren to death recently. Not many mass stabbings in the news. The only common denominator is the firearms.

The 2nd amendment was written 225 years ago, before we had a militia much less an army. That was the whole reason for it. Fucking bears and Indians were literal threats to your life, and most people actively hunted for food. That's not the case anymore. These weren't stone tablets brought down a mountain from God. It was an amendment to the Constitution. Do you honestly think the founding fathers didn't expect them to be amended? They would shit to see the violence happening here every day and the NRA screaming that's "Its your 2nd amendment right!" let's not even get into the money being showered on the spineless politicians.

Do I like shooting guns when I have the opportunity? Sure.
    Do I like getting drunk on occasion? Hellz yeah.

But you want to stop gun violence? Remove the guns from the equation. We wouldn't be the first country to do it. "Sorry everyone, it's not working, the bad apples have spoiled it, so everyone turn in your guns." You want to target shoot, you sign out a gun right there and turn it back in at the range.

Wanna stop drunk driving? Stop public alcohol sales. Would it affect me? Hell yeah. I like drinking beer at concerts, baseball games, at the bar, whatever. Sure I could still buy alcohol, get hammered at home and then hop in my car and kill someone, but I suspect most alcohol related drunk driving is from people getting loaded someplace besides their homes. Not even gonna bother to Google that one.

Draconian solutions? Yes. But solutions.

Can't wait to see the replies next time I check THIS thread....lol.

Off to cut the grass!

#1104 1 year ago

Double post

#1105 1 year ago

Remember when you were kids acting up in the pool and finally some adult said, "Ok, that's it, everyone out of the pool"?

Edit: You ruined my fun!

#1106 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

How to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers? Ban sober drivers from driving. That's exactly how gun control works.

Imagine being this clueless about how laws and regulations work. I’m shocked some of you can find the plunger on your pinball machines.

#1107 1 year ago

I dont see reports of Little Old Ladies murdering School Kids .They can keep their pistol at home,No Problem.

#1108 1 year ago

It’s weird how u get searched while going to a sporting event/concert, yet u can just walk into a school. With these fucked up times, why not have an armed security guards at the entrance of schools? Might not be the solution, but it’s better then what’s currently in place

#1109 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yes, you legally own your gun. Yes, you keep it safely stored and have taken classes to use it properly. But the rest of society has fucked it up and now everyone has to get out of the pool. Drive by shootings? Not when there are no guns. And I don't recall anyone stabbing 25 schoolchildren to death recently. Not many mass stabbings in the news. The only common denominator is the firearms.
    The 2nd amendment was written 225 years ago, before we had a militia much less an army. That was the whole reason for it. Fucking bears and Indians were literal threats to your life, and most people actively hunted for food. That's not the case anymore. These weren't stone tablets brought down a mountain from God. It was an amendment to the Constitution. Do you honestly think the founding fathers didn't expect them to be amended? They would shit to see the violence happening here every day and the NRA screaming that's "Its your 2nd amendment right!" let's not even get into the money being showered on the spineless politicians.
    Do I like shooting guns when I have the opportunity? Sure.
    Do I like getting drunk on occasion? Hellz yeah.
    But you want to stop gun violence? Remove the guns from the equation. We wouldn't be the first country to do it. "Sorry everyone, it's not working, the bad apples have spoiled it, so everyone turn in your guns." You want to target shoot, you sign out a gun right there and turn it back in at the range.
    Wanna stop drunk driving? Stop public alcohol sales. Would it affect me? Hell yeah. I like drinking beer at concerts, baseball games, at the bar, whatever. Sure I could still buy alcohol, get hammered at home and then hop in my car and kill someone, but I suspect most alcohol related drunk driving is from people getting loaded someplace besides their homes. Not even gonna bother to Google that one.
    Draconian solutions? Yes. But solutions.
    Can't wait to see the replies next time I check THIS thread....lol.
    Off to cut the grass!

Right, punish everyone because of some bad apples.
    How about enforce the laws and punish criminals, don't let them out on bail like a revolving door. There is no deterrent!

#1110 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Imagine being this clueless about how laws and regulations work. I’m shocked some of you can find the plunger on your pinball machines.

This is exactly how your side thinks,and I'm pretty sure the second amendment isn't going anywhere,so deal with it.

#1111 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I am intrigued by this topic, serious question how would you go about removing guns from the population?

#1112 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

How about enforce the laws and punish criminals, don't let them out on bail like a revolving door. There is no deterrent!

I usually disagree with you,this post I agree .When you make reasonable valid statements we end up with a conversation.

#1113 1 year ago
    Quoted from TAVsPlace:

I am intrigued by this topic, serious question how would you go about removing guns from the population?

I think Gun Control people are asking for future sales to be curbed and Back ground checks,Not to remove all legally owned guns already in your possesion.

#1114 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I usually disagree with you,this post I agree .

Thanks, hopefully you're beginning to see the light!

#1115 1 year ago

Unpopular opinion: People that blindly and wholeheartedly accept a political ideology without accepting that opposing side(s) make good and valid points as well are morons. Forget your talking points that you are spoonfed and formulate your own opinions.

#1116 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

LOL, he was giving an analogy.

#1117 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Thanks, hopefully you're beginning to see the light!

I agree on the post but on other topics I smell the Kool Aid on your breath.

#1118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I agree on the post but on other topics I smell the Kool Aid on your breath.

That is gin my friend.

#1119 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Unpopular opinion: People that blindly and wholeheartedly accept a political ideology without accepting that opposing side(s) make good and valid points as well are morons. Forget your talking points that you are spoonfed and formulate your own opinions.

Spot on

#1120 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

This is exactly how your side thinks,and I'm pretty sure the second amendment isn't going anywhere,so deal with it.

“Side”? Why do you immediately think I’m against you? I’m not. Why do you assume I’m against the 2nd amendment? I’m not.

You just made a stupid analogy and got pouty someone called you out on it.

#1121 1 year ago

Unpopular opinion:
    It's a good thing that discussion of politics is banned here.

#1122 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

This is a whole side topic, but there's a growing body of evidence that incarceration isn't all that effective as a deterrent.

As far as your dislike of the idea of punishing everyone for some bad apples, as a teacher, I completely agree. There are few faster ways to lose the goodwill and empathy of your students, or people in general, than collective punishment.

#1123 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

This is a whole side topic, but there's a growing body of evidence that incarceration isn't all that effective as a deterrent.

What's your answer for repeat offenders? There's a growing body of evidence that you can't commit a crime if you're locked the fuck up!

#1124 1 year ago

I have an unpopular opinion. Custard is better than ice cream.

#1125 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

“Side”? Why do you immediately think I’m against you? I’m not. Why do you assume I’m against the 2nd amendment? I’m not.
    You just made a stupid analogy and got pouty someone called you out on it.

This is exactly how anti gun activist think. And there's too many of them who think taking all the guns is the answer,and it's not. They want to start with what they call "assault weapons",and once they have those banned they'll move on to the next weapon they don't like, and so on and so on. It'll never stop with them.

There is no answer on how to stop evil people from killing inocent people, there's always going to be evil people as long as man is on this earth.
    If they don't use a gun, they'll find another way !

I have no problem with background checks but good luck doing a background check,on a criminal who buys their guns illegally.I had a background check when I bought my first gun,and I also had one when I applied for my concealed carry permit.

#1126 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Unpopular opinion:
    It's a good thing that discussion of politics is banned here.

That's unpopular? It only makes good sense.

#1127 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

I have an unpopular opinion. Custard is better than ice cream.

Fuck, that is a strong opinion. Are you left Twix or Right Twix?

#1128 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Fuck, that is a strong opinion. Are you left Twix or Right Twix?

1/2 of one, and half of the other.

#1129 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

1/2 of one, and half of the other.

I like the cut of your jib my friend!

#1130 1 year ago

Slippery slope, 101.

1. First make a general comment:

Quoted from ralphs007:

They want to start with what they call "assault weapons",

2. Fabricate a hypothetical statement based on your general comment

Quoted from ralphs007:

once they have those banned they'll move on to the next weapon they don't like,

3. Reach a final conclusion from your hypothetical statement.

Quoted from ralphs007:

It'll never stop with them.

#1131 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

1. First make a general comment:

2. Fabricate a hypothetical statement based on your general comment

3. Reach a final conclusion from your hypothetical statement.

This is a reply an anti gun activist made to me on another forum.

I don’t think we should have a slippery slope …I think we should just be honest and have a shear cliff… tell them we’re going to take all their damn guns away because they have no reason to have them.
    Use a simulator… How are the police supposed to provide protection from this assault rifles…How are we supposed to protect children and the elderly from these maniacs with guns.

#1132 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Slippery slope, 101.

I can't believe that today we still have people concerned about hypothetically not being able to purchase guns quite so easily when we have EVERYTHING ELSE that has happened in the past week.

#1133 1 year ago
    Quoted from TAVsPlace:

The same way Australia and the UK did it over 25 years ago after rare mass shootings in their countries - they instituted mandatory gun buy back programs. The difference? It took Australia ONE MONTH after a mass shooting to get the legislation passed. The UK made all handguns illegal within a year of an incident, and hasn't had a mass shooting since 1996.

Add New Zealand and Norway to the buy back list too. Canada banned assault rifles about 3 weeks after a mass shooting 2 years ago and hand guns are virtually illegal now also.

In most civilized countries, you can't just waltz into Wal-Mart and buy a gun, you have to prove a need to own one. In Japan, you're subjected to an intensive mental health exam, and friends and family are also interviewed, and you have to do it every 3 years.

"The only thing that will protect you from a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" - well, that's the stupidest fucking argument I've ever heard. If the bad guy doesn't have one in the first place, guess what, you don't need protection from it.

https://time.com/6182186/countries-banned-guns-mass-shooting/

#1134 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I can't believe that today we still have people concerned about hypothetically not being able to purchase guns quite so easily when we have EVERYTHING ELSE that has happened in the past week.

It's amazing, isn't it?

On one hand you have people beating their chests that we're trying to take away their right to own an AK-47, and those same people just stripped half the population of their right to decide what they can do with their own body.

#1135 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

As far as your dislike of the idea of punishing everyone for some bad apples, as a teacher, I completely agree. There are few faster ways to lose the goodwill and empathy of your students, or people in general, than collective punishment.

Not when the majority of the population agrees that this shit is out of control and something needs to be done. When 25 tiny body bags are lined up outside an elementary school, goodwill and empathy kinda go out the window.

#1136 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

The same way Australia and the UK did it over 25 years ago after rare mass shootings in their countries - they instituted mandatory gun buy back programs. The difference? It took Australia ONE MONTH after a mass shooting to get the legislation passed. The UK made all handguns illegal within a year of an incident, and hasn't had a mass shooting since 1996.
    Add New Zealand and Norway to the buy back list too. Canada banned assault rifles about 3 weeks after a mass shooting 2 years ago and hand guns are virtually illegal now also.
    In most civilized countries, you can't just waltz into Wal-Mart and buy a gun, you have to prove a need to own one. In Japan, you're subjected to an intensive mental health exam, and friends and family are also interviewed, and you have to do it every 3 years.
    "The only thing that will protect you from a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" - well, that's the stupidest fucking argument I've ever heard. If the bad guy doesn't have one in the first place, guess what, you don't need protection from it.
    https://time.com/6182186/countries-banned-guns-mass-shooting/

Criminals who already "own" their guns illegally aren't exactly going to line up for buyback programs.

#1137 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

This is exactly how anti gun activist think. And there's too many of them who think taking all the guns is the answer,and it's not.

Well, we've tried it your way, and it doesn't appear to be working, how about we try something else. See the link in my previous post, because it DOES work. You take away the guns, people stop getting killed by guns. It's like magic!

Jesus, this is exhausting.

#1138 1 year ago
    Quoted from solid_snake:

Criminals who already "own" their guns illegally aren't exactly going to line up for buyback programs.

Nope, not everyone will, and they have HARSH penalties for them. 5 years, first offense, no questions asked.

#1139 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

It's amazing, isn't it?
    On one hand you have people beating their chests that we're trying to take away their right to own an AK-47, and those same people just stripped half the population of their right to decide what they can do with their own body.

Nothing was taken away, just up to the states now. Sheesh!

#1140 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Well, we've tried it your way, and it doesn't appear to be working, how about we try something else. See the link in my previous post, because it DOES work. You take away the guns, people stop getting killed by guns. It's like magic!

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I think Guns are here to stay,at least in my life time.

#1141 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Right, that's all it was....nothing to see here....

#1142 1 year ago

Deleted

#1143 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Guns are here to stay,at least in my life time.

Unfortunately you're probably right, because our Congress has become a cesspool of greed and money with politicians beholden to the special interests that funnel it to them (yes, I'm looking at you, NRA).

Honestly what the fuck else needs to happen in this country if 25 kids getting blown away isn't enough to cause a change? It's fucking sad.

When that fucking orangutan didn't get Mexico or Congress to pay for his wall, he declared it a national emergency and signed an executive order into law. I don't for the life of me see why the same thing hasn't been done with guns.

#1144 1 year ago
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpgimages.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    #1145 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Know how many people were murdered by firearms in Canada in 2020? If you guessed 278, you're too high.

I love it that Canada is banning gun sales etc. When we conquer them soon (we will need more land for grain production due to "global warming" it will be that much easier. Of course the parts where French is spoken will surrender immediately anyhow.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

The 2nd amendment was written 225 years ago, before we had a militia much less an army.

Uh, not exactly true. Crack open a history book . . . over half the American forces during the revolution were either local or state militias. The remainder was the Continental Army. Seriously, read a book. Now my question is, is my opinion unpopular, as in keeping with the theme of this topic, or extremely popular?

#1146 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Abhorrent.

#1147 1 year ago

So is murder

#1148 1 year ago

GTFO.

#1150 1 year ago

Muting fascists is good. See ya chump.

May the women in your life survive your belligerence.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread/page/23?hl=jrc6000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.