Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.
    #901 1 year ago

Guys, let's not get this thread nuked like that one recently nuked that had similar talk as the last few here.

#902 1 year ago

Speaking of believing false information…

#903 1 year ago

complainers rule social media.

rule=ruin

#905 1 year ago

Uh... can be get back to pinball related opinions here? I mean... we're kinda on a pinball site.

#908 1 year ago

Scooby Doo?

Scooby don't.

#909 1 year ago

None of the Peanuts comic strips are amusing in any way.

#910 1 year ago

If you're over 15 years old you shouldn't be saying "May the 4th be with you."

#911 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Very unpopular opinion

#912 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Very unpopular opinion

Yeah its embarrassing out there

#913 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Had a pm send an email to the trades sending that email msg this morning. I was gonna respond‘NERDS NERDS NERDS’ but didn’t want to offend any snowflakes out there..

#914 1 year ago
    homer-simpson-nerd-alert.gifhomer-simpson-nerd-alert.gif
    #915 1 year ago
    4th 5th (resized).jpg4th 5th (resized).jpg
    #916 1 year ago

I love that the majority of pin owners are also geeks of one form or another. Which makes sense, if you consider how many of us have spent time hanging out in the arcades during the golden era of sci-fi films. (Alien, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Wrath of Khan, Aliens, Terminator, Predator, The Thing....)

#917 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I love that the majority of pin owners are also geeks of one form or another. Which makes sense, if you consider how many of us have spent time hanging out in the arcades during the golden era of sci-fi films. (Alien, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Wrath of Khan, Aliens, Terminator, Predator, The Thing....)

Agreed. I'm 100% pure geek. Absolutely nothing cool about me at all... and I love it.

#918 1 year ago

Odd that this political post is still here after being tagged more than two weeks ago. Aren't we trying to get this kind of stuff off threads?

#919 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yep.
    I believe everyone should read a newspaper or two, and not get their news from cable or television. Ah, the days of a Sunday paper and coffee on a porch.

Totally agree. I don't rely on just on source for news. But as far as T.V.(or streaming), it does give you a live experience at times.

#920 1 year ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

Yeah, apparently it's kind of a thing :
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 12.23.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-05 at 12.23.41 PM (resized).png

Wonder how many more of these kinds of adds I'll see today...

#921 1 year ago

Here is a very unpopular opinion....

After having a great time playing Rush tonight, I decided to play Godzilla. After playing Godzilla for a couple mintutes, I came to the realization that I hate Godzilla. Mostly because of the cheap drains. The two that bother me most are a slow rolling ball over the switch by the saucer that goes down the outlane the majority of the time. The other is when your left flipper is fading and can't make it up the right ramp, and goes SDTFM. The other thing that bothers me is how slow the damn processor is on the game. Is it a 8086 processor from 1976??? I have drained and had the animations slowly play out for what...10 seconds or more? What about not being able to use the magna grab because you have to wait so long for animations to finish that the ball is no longer moving? Godzilla coming to a for sale ad soon...

#922 1 year ago

My unpopular opinion is that a lot of the posted opinions here aren't necessarily that unpopular.

#923 1 year ago

Let's get this thread back on track.

I find it difficult to listen to most women on pinball podcasts. (Is is that not an unpopular opinion?)

#924 1 year ago

I can count on one hand the number of minutes I have listened to any pinball podcast, genders notwithstanding. What a waste of time.

Oops, found this still in the post draft, shoulda hit Send Post before:

Quoted from pinsanity:

None of the Peanuts comic strips are amusing in any way.

Peanuts is a laff riot compared to many others.

At least we have, thanks to the Intertoobz, "Marmaduke Explained" and "Dysfunctional Family Circus" to inject actual humor into those two. I do suppose Peanuts could use the same treatment in a majority of cases.

But why try, when nothing will ever top Calvin and Hobbes?

#925 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I can count on one hand the number of minutes I have listened to any pinball podcast, genders notwithstanding. What a waste of time.

I've listened to maybe 2 podcasts in my life, neither pinball related and so long ago i was probably just seeing what a "podcast" was.

The Far Side > Calvin and Hobbes.....

#926 1 year ago

Calvin and Hobbes was great.

Although not technically a strip, The Far Side set the gold standard for a printed comic.

#927 1 year ago

I hate that pinside is charging for every for sale ad part now. I think it just started May 1st.
    Just tried to list a 280 part and pinside wants 12 bucks!

#928 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Calvin and Hobbes was great.
    Although not technically a strip, The Far Side set the gold standard for a printed comic.

Meh. Yes, it's not a strip. It's also primarily weird, punny, and not much else, which was fine as far as that goes, but C&H was not only often hilarious but was also heartwarming in a way that those "cute" strips could only hope to be.

How would one describe what The Far Side was about? See? It's all throwaway gags. Calvin and Hobbes made you care. Several single panel comics still exist as imitations of TFS, but I know of no strip that comes close to the magic of C&H. If any do, I'd love to hear about it.

#929 1 year ago

Meh. Yes, it's not a strip. It's also primarily weird, punny, and not much else, which was fine as far as that goes, but C&H was not only often hilarious but was also heartwarming in a way that those "cute" strips could only hope to be.
    How would one describe what The Far Side was about? See? It's all throwaway gags. Calvin and Hobbes made you care. Several single panel comics still exist as imitations of TFS, but I know of no strip that comes close to the magic of C&H. If any do, I'd love to hear about it.

2 different animals, I agree.

I prefer TFS though I have collections of both. Nothing wrong with throwaway gags - it IS a comic strip, not Little House on the Prairie.

Doonesbury, B.C., Garfield, all great strips. Hell back in the day Blondie, Lil Abner and Dick Tracy were read by millions - those were the TV series in the days before TV.

#930 1 year ago

Oops, found this still in the post draft, shoulda hit Send Post before:

At least we have, thanks to the Intertoobz, "Marmaduke Explained" and "Dysfunctional Family Circus" to inject actual humor into those two. I do suppose Peanuts could use the same treatment in a majority of cases.

Don't forget Garfield Minus Garfield:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#931 1 year ago

How are you all reading comic strips when newspapers have been dead for over 10 years?

#932 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've listened to maybe 2 podcasts in my life, neither pinball related and so long ago i was probably just seeing what a "podcast" was.
    The Far Side > Calvin and Hobbes.....

Early Bloom County > all

#933 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

How are you all reading comic strips when newspapers have been dead for over 10 years?

https://www.gocomics.com/comics/a-to-z

Lots of comics on line.

LTG : )

#934 1 year ago

How would one describe what The Far Side was about?

It was an immensely clever window into the absurdity of life and culture through caricatures of humans, animals, aliens, inanimate objects, cavemen etc.

Gary Larson was a prolific genius who could think outside the box inside a box.

#935 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It was an immensely clever window into the absurdity of life and culture through caricatures of humans, animals, aliens, inanimate objects, cavemen etc.
    Gary Larson was a prolific genius who could think outside the box inside a box.

I once read somewhere that he has a degree in entomology, and is educated in other aspects of Biology. This may explain his use of animals in a lot of his far side comics.

#936 1 year ago

Josh Fruhlinger of The Comics Curmudgeon said this about it, and I agree:

"In the last few years of Charles Schulz’s life, the strip was loopy and sentimental; but the stuff they’re repeating now reminds us that for most of its history Peanuts was about loss, failure, and longing for things you can’t have. Almost everyone in the strip had such doomed romantic feelings: Lucy for Schroeder, Sally for Linus, Peppermint Patty for Charlie Brown, Marcie for Peppermint Patty, and so on. Charlie Brown’s unrequited love for the little red-haired girl is legendary, of course, and the rest of his life isn’t much better. His baseball team won only one game in the strip’s history, and then had to forfeit because their outfielder, 5-year-old Rerun, bet on the game. His baseball hero is always on the verge of being sent to the minors. He is bullied by his psychologist and is largely ignored by his dog, who refers to him as 'that round-headed kid.' They don’t mention any of this when they use him to sell insurance.

Snoopy is probably the only character in the strip who is generally happy, largely because of his ability to retreat into fantasy."

#937 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I find it difficult to listen to most women on pinball podcasts. (Is is that not an unpopular opinion?)

I would just say - It's difficult to listen to most pinball podcasts in general

#938 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I would just say - It's difficult to listen to most pinball podcasts in general

Let's just say it's difficult to listen to podcasts.

#939 1 year ago

There are a few podcasts made by real life entertainers that I listen to occasionally, usually while doing chores. Comedians, mostly, but Alan Alda's casts are intriguing.

However, I can't imagine being so immersed in pinball that I would even contemplate having any interest whatsoever in hearing Joe Pinball babble on about pinball. I'd sooner spend an afternoon playing Stare At The Sun, or listening to Yoko Ono's Greatest Hits on repeat.

For you guys that spend all day working on pins, I guess it would make good background noise.

#940 1 year ago

Lana Lang was always a better match for Superman than Lois Lane, plus redheads > brunettes.

#941 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Let's just say it's difficult to listen to podcasts.

disagree, there are some very good ones

#942 1 year ago

Not a pinball podcast but I love the "Office Ladies". Its a behind the scenes/breakdown of the episodes. Theres a couple True Crime ones that are pretty interesting also.

#943 1 year ago

Bulbs are still better

#944 1 year ago

Unpopular opinion? Here it goes...

Pinball magic is gone. Owning these expensive machines is fine, and fun. But I no longer feel the magic like I did when I put my last quarter in an Earthshaker and got the new high score and got my free game. You know, that thrill you felt when you heard the knocker smack knowing you could play on.

Things have changed and I will never get that feeling back.

#945 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Pinball magic is gone. Owning these expensive machines is fine, and fun. But I no longer feel the magic like I did when I put my last quarter in an Earthshaker and got the new high score and got my free game. You know, that thrill you felt when you heard the knocker smack knowing you could play on. Things have changed and I will never get that feeling back.

The magic is gone. Being married is fine, and fun. But I no longer feel the magic like I did when I put my (blank) in her (blank) and got the new high score and got a free (blank). You know, that thrill you felt when you watched the knockers smack knowing you could play on.
    Things have changed and I will never get that feeling back.

#946 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Go into diagnostics and double check your factory sexism settings.

#947 1 year ago

Pinball machines are like women, the best models have knockers.

#948 1 year ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Pinball machines are like women, the best models have knockers.

Real ones are the best. Sorry stern not sorry

#949 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Go into diagnostics and double check your factory sexism settings.

Yeah!! Only male chauvinist pigs would own an EHOH! Burn Elviras..

I don’t know anymore. Some commentators are just horrible and they can’t be the best people for the job. We have a new local news anchor, has a hard time reading the teleprompter. If we aren’t supposed to care what sex, age, or race someone is- why does it seem like choices are made by sex,age, and race?
    I’ve figured out the only reasons I started watching soccer were because of the commentators and no ads. A good commentator makes it seem like the most exciting thing in the world is happening when you are watching paint dry. I can’t understand Spanish, but I won’t turn the game off if Andres Cantor is commenting..

#950 1 year ago

Unpopular opinion: All game ratings on Pinside should require rating comments in order to justify scores given.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread/page/19?hl=damen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.